It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

B-Side wrote:
Opera is brilliant. Any opinions otherwise are empirically false and punishable by death.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:01 am

OK, guys. Enough. :P

I just added some thoughts to my original Suspiria post, in case anyone cares. When I get the Blue Underground DVD next week, I may have even more to say. And I've queued Tenebre, Deep Red, Inferno, and Opera.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am

I liked Suspiria but it's definitely a time where I feel like I'd get more out of it with a big screening of a great transfer with loud sound and stuff...yeah

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:46 am
Profile WWW

So an Aussie blu-ray of Suspiria came out recently and might be the one.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I watched my new Suspiria DVD, and saw everything this time. It's safe to say I love it even more now!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 am

:)

Imma grab the new blu-ray tonight (along with Eraserhead).

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am

Looks a lot better than the vhs version I screened.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 am

Does the new blu actually have the quality?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 am

Das wrote:
Does the new blu actually have the quality?

I e-mailed them and they said it was from a new master. I'll get back to you when I get it.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 am

Trip wrote:
I e-mailed them and they said it was from a new master. I'll get back to you when I get it.

Hooray. Hopefully.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

Boo, it's the same blown out transfer. Pity, because the detail is good.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:50 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Amer

Did I say that last entry would be the only horror in this thread? I spoke too soon, although I'm not completely convinced Amer is a horror film. I'm not sure what it is, other than a strangely satisfying experience. I know it hits all the right notes for me: fairy tales, child's point of view, crazy colors, atmosphere, overwhelming sound. It's not perfect. The second segment, while obviously containing a crucial link regarding her growing sexual awareness, is weaker, sensually and thematically, than the other two; I have trouble believing it's the same person. But, the first and last parts are so visceral it doesn't really matter. I love the games Ana plays, and those the film plays with us. Such lovely, tantalizing ambiguity! One thing's for sure, though. I'm glad I saw all those Argentos first, so I could appreciate the many elements of homage. It even has the light bulb shot from Suspiria!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:46 am

The 2nd part is my favourite hah.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 am

Wow, really? The first part was my favorite by quite a lot. I couldn't make the second part match up with the third psychologically. Maybe that's silly, I don't know. And it's assuming I understood what was going on, haha.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:26 am

Deep analysis: Amer is good.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:39 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Deep analysis: Amer is good.
That is deep. :)

Hey, if you hadn't mentioned it in this thread a few days ago, I doubt if I'd have watched it. I know it's been talked about around here, but I'd completely missed it. I don't pay too much attention to horror discussion. :shifty:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

I live to make vague references to films people might want to see

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 am

Haha!

Still, thank you.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Possession

Image Image

Possession – I knew going in that this would be a baffling mash-up of poignant drama and horror. But, for most of the film I thought I had a handle on what was going on. I understood the monster on the same plane as the electric knife, as a sort of extreme exaggeration of unfaithfulness/ betrayal. And, when the ground shifted beneath my feet, I proudly kept my balance. That scene where Anna's second victim reads her fevered mind is strangely luminous, and, like the Sister Faith monologue, creates an illusion of meaning and structure. It's a trick! In no time at all, I was flailing around like Heinrich in the bathroom. The kid knew about the end of the world? What was that about?! And how much did the pink-sock guy really know? The fact that Zulawski was working through the aftermath of his own painful divorce at the time makes the odd tangle of tones even more intriguing, because, for all the emotional pain and horror, it's undeniably goofy. The scenes between Mark and Heinrich are very, very funny. (And did anyone else find it amusing that the kid's name is Bob?) I'd read about how far Adjani went for her role, but Neill's performance was an eye-opener as well. I may not understand why Mark turns crazy/homicidal when he does, but it's a lot of fun to watch him do it; and that goes double for the film as a whole!

I have a strange desire to write the plot synopsis for the (nonexistent) Netflix envelope. They don't seem to mind spoilers:

A government agent quits his job to try to save his marriage. When he discovers that his wife is a murderer, he goes into manic overdrive to save her from jail and earn back her love. But what he doesn’t know is that the tentacle monster is great in bed. Can he hide the bodies and kill the monster before the apocalypse begins?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 am

Adjani is so great in the film :).

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:14 am
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Possession

Shieldmaiden wrote:
And, when the ground shifted beneath my feet, I proudly kept my balance. [...] It's a trick! In no time at all, I was flailing around like Heinrich in the bathroom.

:D

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:15 am

Your review was the last straw to finally get to watch that film, Maiden. Now I get the flailing. :shock:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Your review was the last straw to finally get to watch that film, Maiden. Now I get the flailing. :shock:
Ah, success! Isn't it crazy? I thought Heinrich was hilarious every minute. And the way Mark changes in that restroom scene was disturbingly entertaining.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 am

When they first meet and Heinrich says "there's no need for hostilities" while rubbing Mark's chest. :D

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am

And his shirt is always unbuttoned to his waist. :P

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 am

Well, his body needs to breathe during all that flailing.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:01 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Well, his body needs to breathe during all that flailing.
Haha. Yes. Oh, and speaking of breathing, are we supposed to have any idea what holding one's breath underwater is meant to accomplish?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:10 am

Besides suicide if you're really determined?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
really determined
:P

I would say it's just something that makes the kid feel safe, but he seems so knowing when the monster shows up. I'm not wasting a lot of thought on this, believe me. It's total insanity from the moment the guy with pink socks shows up. I loved the ending, regardless.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 am

for me god is a disease

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

You mean, in the sense that it's only partial insanity before he shows up? :P

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
You mean, in the sense that it's only partial insanity before he shows up? :P
Exactly, haha. I guess I mean I felt like I knew where it was going, until then.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 am

shut up, shield

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 am

more like shieldgayden

how am i wrong how

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 am

Please trip and die.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am

Trip wrote:
shut up, shield

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am

how's your love life

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am

I like how Neill looks authentically Polish in that movie; though it's French isn't it.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 am

And takes place in Germany.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am

Yeah, not Polish. I thought he looked Zulawskian. I just made that up, see?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 am

Trip wrote:
how's your love life

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 am

Trip wrote:
how's your love life
I don't even know what that is. :(

Why do you bring my thread down, Trip? Why?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm

aw

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Someone should love me.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

I love you in a purely sexual sense only.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm

That's what I meant, of course. :heart:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 pm

take a second to think of how differently trip's recent posts would've been received if they were posted by me

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:15 pm

B-Side wrote:
shut up, shield
Shieldmaiden wrote:
Please trip and die.
B-Side wrote:
I love you in a purely sexual sense only.
Shieldmaiden wrote:
...buying plane tickets to Michigan as we speak. :heart:

Yeah, I totally see what you mean. :P

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm

I might still have gone like this:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next