It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits 
Post The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

I've made no secret of my love of the blues, and this is an attempt to transfer some of that love. The blues is primal, sometimes wonderfully simple and direct. Yet is most certainly an incredible form of art, one that together with jazz is the source of just about all twentieth century popular music, directly or indirectly (hence the title, a quote of Willie Dixon). With this list I hope to convince a few people of the beauty of the blues, and to nuance the image of the genre somewhat (for instance, the false notion that the blues is just 'down' or depressing music). Normally I prefer inclusivity rather than exclusivity, but to prevent confusion for those not in the know and to draw the line somewhere during the selection, I have limited myself mostly to the current popular definition of the blues, some personal favorites excepted. This means none of the 1920's female blues singers for instance, that get classified just as much as jazz these days (back in the day the distinction wasn't that clear, as both genres we're still in their early development). Any purists reading along can be glad. Because I'm also making this thread on a Dutch website, I will take my time, since I will have to write everything in two languages. Also, especially in the beginning I don't want to overload with obscurity (if anyone will keep reading and/or listening anyway).

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:22 am
Post Re: The Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits

I already love this thread.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am

excellent. I'll be reading.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am
Profile WWW

*shuns*

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 am
Profile YIM

Am here.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 am
Profile WWW

YES!!! So excited for this...I'll be checking in here regularly, surely with my own thoughts. Great idea Kurz!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 am

Me like blues.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 am

SRV!

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

Muddy Waters baby

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

Mississippi John Hurt and Robert Johnson.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 am

I once shook hands with Furry Lewis.

When I was in college he did a one-man show at the Music Building one day. Someone I knew told me about it and I skipped a class to hear him. It was worth it. First class I ever skipped in my life. Like I said, worth it.

He was 78 or 79 years old then, it was 1971. He had not lost his talent, his ability, or his charm. Only his hair.

Complete Round Three:
The Thing. The Champ. Death Race. King Kong. The Blob. Rollerball. Philadelphia/Society. Wizard of Oz. Godzilla. Scum.
Complete Round Two:
World on a Wire. Postman Rings. Let Me In. The Big Clock. Body Snatchers. Scarface. Peter Pan. The Fly. Rear Window.
Complete Round One:
Maltese Falcon. Earth Stood Still. Dorian. Nosferatu. Apes. Yuma. Romeo and Juliet. Time Machine. Lord of Flies.

trxbooks.com Will be updated fall of 2014 (uhm...at the earliest).

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 am

Furry Lewis? I haven't even started yet, and I'm already learning! :)

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Robert Pete Williams was born in Louisiana in 1914. He died in 1980. The son of sharecroppers near Baton Rouge, Williams sang and accompanied himself with an acoustic guitar. He never made a career out of it until very late in his life though. He was recorded for the first time in 1958 while serving a life sentence for murder in Angola, the Louisiana state penitentiary. His prison recordings earned him a 'servitude parole' in 1959. His musical style could be categorized as Delta blues but in its rhythms shows clear African roots, clearer than with most other players. His almost stream-of-consciousness lyrics also serve to make him a most unique blues player.

Favorite songs:
Pardon Denied Again, Angola Special, Motherless Children Have A Hard Time, Louise & So Much Is Happening In This Wicked World

Examples:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Being a Chicago boy, Blues music is a part of me and my upbringing. I will be following eagerly.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:05 am
Profile WWW

'Lone Cat' Jesse Fuller was born in 1896 and died in 1976. He was the ultimate one-man blues band, playing a twelve-string guitar, harmonica and kazoo on a neck rack, a hi-hat cymbal with his left foot and an upright bass which he operated via foot pedals and levers and called a “fotdella” or “footdella” – a device of his own making. Partly because of his instruments his music usually sounds relaxed, sometimes clashing with his lyrics. Although he was born in Georgia, his relaxed style became exemplary for the West Coast blues, where he resided since the 1920's. It makes sense that his most famous (and most covered) song is 'San Francisco Bay Blues'. He didn't make music his vocation until the late '40's, and didn't break through until the late 1950's thanks to the folk blues revival. Before that time he had a lot of jobs, including working shipyards during World War II and shining shoes outside the gates of the United Artists studio. There he met Douglas Fairbanks sr. and Raoul Walsh, who got him bit parts in several movies, including Thief of Bagdad, East of Suez and Heart of Dixie. Allegedly he was invited to a European tour in 1960 while just returning from a day's work of picking walnuts. There he was revered by the Brits that would soon give the blues renewed recognition, who had never seen his 'lone cat' style. He explained to them: “I got hearin' about fellers who were making lots of money on records. I tried to get some fellers to play with me but they were always busy – drinking wine and gambling. So I said, 'I'm going to make me a one man band' and I did.”

Favorite songs:
San Francisco Bay Blues, Midnight Cold, Footdella Stomp, John Henry.

Watch his one man band show:

Or just listen:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 am

Jesse Fuller was amazing. Good choice...::obligatory 'too low!' reaction::

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:46 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Mississippi John Hurt and Robert Johnson.

All of the above.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:09 am

Albert Castiglia and Joe Bonamassa mostly comprise my primary blues knowledge, so I'll be trying to learn something from this thread... although blues has always for me been a musical genre I greatly appreciate but rarely particularly enjoy enough to go out of my way for.

last.fm

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:14 am
Profile WWW

Nocturna wrote:
Being a Chicago boy, Blues music is a part of me and my upbringing. I will be following eagerly.
There'll be some chess played here.

dreiser wrote:
SRV!

There used to be a mobile super market in my old neighbourhood with that abbreviation as it's name.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:21 am

Colonel_Kurz wrote:
There used to be a mobile super market in my old neighbourhood with that abbreviation as it's name.

Super Recreational Vehicle?

last.fm

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 am
Profile WWW

Samen Rationeel Verkopen. :P Which means as much as Rationally Selling Together.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 am

Colonel_Kurz wrote:
Samen Rationeel Verkopen. :P Which means as much as Rationally Selling Together.

I once saw a headline on the back of my Tee Set LP from a Dutch paper or magazine article reproduced thereon:
Tee Set goit hoge ogen im USA

I may have misremembered "ogen." But I mentally translated it to mean "Tee Set goes high above in the USA."

They were not blues per se, but some of their cuts were bluesy. The musical form has a wide dissemination, and an even broader influence. Their music was a bit of a mashup of pop and blues. possibly Led Zeppelin had broad impact on the pop music of the 60s world-wide. I never realized until they had broken up that they were blues more than anything else (the Zep, I mean).

Complete Round Three:
The Thing. The Champ. Death Race. King Kong. The Blob. Rollerball. Philadelphia/Society. Wizard of Oz. Godzilla. Scum.
Complete Round Two:
World on a Wire. Postman Rings. Let Me In. The Big Clock. Body Snatchers. Scarface. Peter Pan. The Fly. Rear Window.
Complete Round One:
Maltese Falcon. Earth Stood Still. Dorian. Nosferatu. Apes. Yuma. Romeo and Juliet. Time Machine. Lord of Flies.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:51 am

Literally it says: "Tee Set throws high eyes in USA". :D Ogen means eyes. It's a Dutch expression. It means Tee Set is getting a lot of recognition/hype in the US. :) In this context, at least, because originally it means to have a lot of luck. The eyes being those of the dice.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:45 am

Dutch is a fun language.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:50 am
Profile WWW

Born in Alton, Illinois in 1903, died in St. Louis in 1962

Unlike what many people believe, the blues did not just originate in the cottonfields of Mississippi. During it's early development, the music scenes of several cities where also very important. One of the most important that is nowadays often forgotten was musical hub St. Louis. One of the reasons for this is the fact that piano blues rather than guitar blues was the most popular form of blues in St. Louis. “Barrelhouse” Buck McFarland was one of those pianists that played the brothels and barrelhouses (a barrelhouse is a bar that consist of a room where the liquor is served from a plank spread across a row of barrels). He made recordings in the 1920's and 1930's, but none of those have survived. The only well preserved songs of his are the 17 that he recorded on August 6, 1961, that were finally released for the first time in 2007 on the Alton Blues album. There are some other recordings (for examples, see below), but they're of very poor sound quality in comparison, despite the fact that they were recorded in a professional studio and the Alton Blues session took place in McFarlands home. At this session, his percussive bass patterns, steady rumble with one heavy hand, chords (with the other) and single notes hammering like an old typewriter are beautifully captured. When he sings, he wails with a voice that has been described as mahogany. He does everything well, from slow, painful blues songs to uptempo instrumental boogie woogie songs that probably brought the house down in the bars and brothels where he used to play. Alton Blues also contains five minutes of him telling stories of the olden days of the blues scene in St. Louis, featuring several artist yet to come.

Favorite songs:
Four O'Clock Blues, Railroad Blues, Barrelhouse Buck, Don't Stop Now

Examples:
I couldn't find any his songs on Youtube or any similar service. The only complete streaming songs I could find were these :
http://www.we7.com/#/artist/Barrelhouse-Buck-McFarland
But they are of considerable less sound quality than Alton Blues (I don't know where these songs are taken from), so here's a page with samples from the album:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7356071
The first link does mostly have songs that are not on the album, so it's worth a listen anyway.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 am

Born in Lobdel, Louisiana in 1924, died in Baton Rouge in 1970.

Slim Harpo sang and played guitar and harmonica in a sometimes languid, sometimes cheerful style that always feels good. He's often compared to the more successful Jimmy Reed, but I like Harpo better and find his style to be more distinct. He was covered a lot by British bands after the Rolling Stones did his first single, King Bee, a classic sexual blues metaphor. They would later do a version of Harpo's Shake Your Hips on Exile On Main Street. Originally born as James Moore, he dropped out of high school in his mid-teens after his parents died to play harmonica in bars and juke joints, on street corners, and at rent parties and plantation picnics as Harmonica Slim. When he started recording after working with his brother-in-law Lightnin' Slim, he had to change his name because there was already a Harmonica Slim on the West Coast. Moore's wife Lovelle (who also co-wrote a number of his songs) came up with Slim Harpo, and that became his name for the rest of his career.

Favorite songs:
King Bee, Buzzin', Strange Love, Rainin' In My Heart

Examples:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Colonel_Kurz wrote:
Literally it says: "Tee Set throws high eyes in USA". :D Ogen means eyes. It's a Dutch expression. It means Tee Set is getting a lot of recognition/hype in the US. :) In this context, at least, because originally it means to have a lot of luck. The eyes being those of the dice.

It could also be translated "Tee Set Rolls High in US," then, because high-rollers are gamblers who roll high stakes, and hope for high numbers of dots on their dice. So, back then, Tee Set were high-rollers. :D

Have you ever heard anything by that group? I've no idea how popular they might have been in Europe. And I can't remember the songs, so I've no idea what reminded me about blues in their riffs. Certainly, they were more bubblegum with the album that was released over here. But there was something...something...

Complete Round Three:
Complete Round Two:
Complete Round One:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:51 am

Heh, one of the members is the composer of tunes for a lot of old tv shows in the 80's and 90's. Apparently they started out as an R&B band in the '60's but moved on to pop in the 70's (instigated by that tv-composter. So that's probably the something. I've never heard of them, but I don't know if their popularity in the Netherlands has anything to do with that. I'm not that old, you see, and I don't tend to seek out old Dutch pop bands. ;)

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 am

Oh man, Slim Harpo. He is the shizz.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:29 am
Profile WWW

Born in 1917 in Hornlake, Mississippi, died in 1981 in Chicago.

Also known as Walter “Shakey” Horton, just Shakey or “Mumbles”.

At the tender age of five, Walter Horton was given his first harmonica by his father. During the later 1920's he moved to Memphis where he won a local talent contest. He later claimed he played with the Memphis Jug Band in 1927 as “Shakey Walter”, but his age makes this statement questionable. He also claimed to have played with Robert Johnson in the 1930's and did in fact accompany Muddy Waters in the 1950's. He also boasts of teaching Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson II, despite the latter being twenty years older. Walter Horton was one of the first to amplify his harmonica. During the 1940's he moved back and forth between Chicago and Memphis, working day jobs and playing wherever he could. In the early fifties he cut some records for Sun Records, that would later become known as the birthplace of white rock & roll with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins.

Later on Walter joined Muddy Waters' band but was fired after a few years for showing up drunk or playing too many side gigs, according to you talk to about the subject. He also played with Otis Rush, Koko Taylor, Jimmy Rodgers, Big Mama Thornton and Sunnyland Slim in those days. His first solo record was released in 1965, was produced by Willie Dixon (who once called him “the best harmonica player I ever heard”) and featured Buddy Guy on guitar. Fifteen years later he had a cameo in The Blues Brothers accompanying John Lee Hooker, a year before his death. His style of harmonica was a definite influence on such younger players as his protégé Carey Bell and white blues player Charlie Musselwhite. Personally, I love how he can play this beautiful slow, downhearted blues and then switch up his tempo in an instant, suddenly changing the mood of the music and making you feel it too.

Favorite songs:
Hobo Blues(an instrumental so cool it could be on Cowboy Bebop), Walter's Swing,Worried Life, Little Boy Blue.

Examples:

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Such a good choice! You really know your blues, Kurz, this is a great list so far.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Born in San Jose, California in 1955, and still alive! The first on the list.

I first stumbled upon this guitar player when I was looking up some names that played at a festival that I never went to in the end (I think I was sick). I found one track on the internet, the fantastic song 'Drinking Straight Tequila'. I burned it at the end of some Hendrix CD that I used to listen a lot to while cycling to school. After a while I didn't listen to it so much anymore. I'm guessing this is about 7 or 8 years ago. I forgot all about this man named Cain. Then, a year and a half ago I went to upstate New York to visit a friend of a friend that was also really into the blues. This middle-aged lady took me to several concerts, one of which was the Chenango Blues Festival. Here I saw Chris Cain performing, and it wasn't until then that I remembered I already knew that one song of his.

Listening to that one song, I had never thought he was so young (well, relatively speaking) or that he was white. Being both alive and white makes him a minority in this list that is mostly comprised of dead black man. Having seen him live definitely elevated my opinion of this laid back guitar virtuoso whose style (both singing and picking) is clearly influenced by B.B. and Albert King. Even when his lyrics are more of the downhearted kind, most of his songs are still inflected with a pleasant atmosphere that is most at home at a house party or barbecue. His concert has the same kind of atmosphere, with him telling jokes in between songs that reminded my New York friend of the old Jewish comedians that made the rounds in the Catskills back in the day (roughly near the area of the festival), a humour and wordplay than can be found in his lyrics from time to time as well (I'm living on a fault line right here at home/Everything that happens seems like the fault is mine alone).

Favorite songs:
Drinking Straight Tequila, Helping Hand, Do You Call That A Buddy?, Bad Situation, While The City Sleeps, Down at Dino's.

Examples:

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

A.K.A. The Sweet Giant of the Blues

Born in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1930. Died in Chicago in 1970.

Otis Spann is mostly known as a great sideman, and he deserves all the praise he can get for his pianowork with Muddy Waters from 1952 to 1969, playing on and contributing to many of Waters' greatest recordings. He also backed Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf and Bo Diddley and was an integral part of the Chess sound of the '50's. But as a solo artist he made some great records as well. Among these are the excellent Walking The Blues and Otis Spann is the Blues, both culled from the same sessions in 1960. Not done for Chess though, as they strangely didn't think much of his powerful vocals and didn't release earlier recordings for years.

Spann grew up in Mississippi where he learned to play the piano in his stepfather's church. By 1944 he played in a local blues group influenced by Big Maceo, who took him under his wing when he moved to Chicago a few years later. He claims to have already had a career as a footballer and boxer by then, but he's known for telling stories. After never really taking of as a solo artist and continuing to play for Muddy Waters, he gave up his spot in the band to Pinetop Perkins in 1969 due to ill health. He died of cancer in 1970.

Favorite songs:
Otis In The Dark, It Must Have Been The Devil, Half Ain't Been Told, Walking The Blues,

Voorbeeld/Example:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 am

Born in Montgomery, Alabama in 1926, died in L.A. In 1984.

Even if you think you've never heard a song by Big Mama Thornton, you probably have. Both Elvis and Janis Joplin made songs by miss Thornton famous, respectively 'Hound Dog' and 'Ball and Chain'. While Joplin really makes the cover her own, Elvis's version, or at least his vocals, just pale to the ferocious roar of Big Mama. Born Willie Mae Thornton, she acquired the moniker 'Big Mama' because of her 350-pound physique and the way she moved in two days in 1948 from opening for one of Johnny Otis' package shows the first night and being the headliner the second.

Willie Mae grew up singing in her father's church, and taught herself to play drums and harmonica. At fourteen she ran away to join Sammy Green's Hot Harlem Revue, with whom she toured the South throughout the 1940's. In 1951 she cut the original of 'Hound Dog', growling ferociously from the first note. The fury and contempt are palpable. Her big booming voice became her trademark and it is her passionate singing that makes so many of her performance more than memorable, no matter the lyrics, songwriting or backing band. Although she has some great players backing her from time to time, like Muddy Waters, Otis Spann and James Cotton on Big Mama Thornton with the Chicago Blues Band (also released as with the Muddy Waters Band) and Buddy Guy, Shakey Horton and Mississippi Fred McDowell on Live in Europe. Or elsewhere, like in the clip below where she exchanges harmonica solo's/riffs with John Lee Hooker and Big Walter Horton.

Favorite songs:
Hound Dog, How Come, I Smell A Rat, Stop A-Hoppin' On Me, Sometimes I Have A Heartache, Looking the World Over, Guide Me Home, I'm Feeling Allright, Little Red Rooster, Sweet Little Angel

Examples:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 am

Born in Chicago, about forty years ago. Might be the youngest person on the list, together with the next entry.

Last year I went on a student trip to St. Louis as part of a course on the American city, and St. Louis is a prime example of it's demise, from center and periphery to just periphery and small islands, highways right through the former center (insanity to Dutch me) and an empty downtown. But I digress. While there, of course I had to visit a blues club, and Beale on Broadway seemed the best way to go. That night, a certain young (well, relatively speaking) blues guitarist from Southside Chicago was playing by the name of Eric “Guitar” Davis with his band The Troublemakers. I was sold from the first lick. A clear disciple of Buddy Guy, who even gave him his first guitar lesson when he was ten, his emotional style of playing rubs me the right way. Apparently he still mostly frequents the Illinois-Missouri area, although he has toured all over Europe according to his website. So Nocturna, if you don't know him, you could check him out sometime.

Favorite songs:
Here Comes Trouble, Young Boy Wit Da Blues, Goin' Home, Bill n' Jean

Examples:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 am

Born sometime before 1970.

The one that belongs to the most minorities on the list, being alive, white, female, young and having been seen live by me (and that I have a signed CD of). I saw Eden Brent at the 2009 Chenango Blues Festival, where she started out with a crack about how she heard how up north there was a recession going on. They didn't notice any difference in the poverty in Mississippi though. Then she started playing her piano and I was sold. Brent plays the boogie woogie, although on her albums she sometimes dabbles in jazz and soulful ballads. The infectious piano playing is almost always present though, as is often a sense of humor, like in her serenade to fried chicken (“such a delightful bird”).

Eden Brent grew up in Mississippi in a family that wasn't exactly poor. At a very young age she wanted to play the piano, so young even that at first her sisters piano teacher refused to teach her because she was considered too young. When she was older she discovered her real passion in live when she heard Abie “Boogaloo” Ames play his brand of blues and boogie woogie and this old black man became the single biggest influence on the life of this young white woman. They developed a deep friendship, he taught her the blues and boogie woogie and they toured together all over Mississippi. Besides becoming a great piano player Eden also became a good singer and songwriter in her own right, though she's also very skilled at interpreting the classics. She's part of a generation that can keep the blues alive for a lot longer, although where it's going after that remains uncertain.

Favorite songs:
Mississippi Flatland Blues, Fried Chicken, Why Don't You Do Right, Trouble In Mind, Ain't Got No Troubles, Let's Boogie Woogie

Examples:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Born in 1939 in Duncan, Mississippi.

Eddie C. Campbell was born in the great state of Mississippi (well, when it comes to music. For everything else...), but moved to Chicago when he was ten, just as the blues scene there was as big as could be. Two years later he was already jamming with Muddy Waters. Growing up, he started playing with and became influenced by West Side guitarists like Luther Allison and Magic Sam, which can be heard today still in his ringing guitar playing style. The difference between him and most of those cats is that he's still alive and kicking, keeping the Chicago West Side style alive. For large portions of his live, he did so while permanently living in Europe. He has returned to the Windy City somewhere in the 90's though.

Favorite songs:
Big World, Summertime, Voodoo, Geese in the Ninny Bow (Hey!), Those Was The Days, Sister Taught Me Guitar

Examples:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:01 am

Born in 1935 in Mobile, Alabama.

Another guitarist from Chicago and he won't be the last. Well, technically he was born in Alabama, but he moved to Chicago when he was six and there he made his name with an instantly recognizable guitar playing style. An okay singer, his strength mainly lies in his stinging licks. Hence his instrumental Lucky Lou being his best known solo recording. He also played on such famous songs as Howlin' Wolf's 'Evil', Bo Diddley's 'Mona' and 'Who Do You Love' and Billy boy Arnold's 'I Wish You Would'.

During the 60's, he stopped playing music, partly because his own recording career never took off and partly because he lost a law suit where some of his own signature guitar licks now belonged to somebody else. He became a technical engineer for Xerox, until he retired in 1994. In the late 90's, he picked up his guitar again and started touring and recording some fine albums, one of which I bought off him at one the last and now sadly defunct annual Blues Estafettes in Utrecht, a one-day festival where underappreciated and unknown American blues & soul performers came to play.

Favorite songs:
Lucky Lou, Lifelong Lover, Moaning For Molasses, Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am, Henpecked and Happy, What You Gonna Do?

Examples:

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 pm

7 posts without reply. I'd comment, but I know natch.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 pm

Good to know someone is at least still reading. :P

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:08 am

I'll spend tomorrow going through this list and listen to everything.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:09 am

Wolfy wrote:
I'll spend tomorrow going through this list and listen to everything.
Do let me know what you think.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 am

I am also reading.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 am

Born in Arkansas in 1906, died in 1983

Roosevelt Sykes is another of several St. Louis pianists on the list, an underappreciated kind of blues player. He was born in Arkansas but moved to St. Louis at the tender age of three. His first recording in 1929 was the tricky to play but much covered “44 Blues”. The rotund, cigar-chomping man became one of the most prolific and important piano players of them all. Besides his own name he recorded songs as Dobby Bragg, Willie Kelly and Easy Papa Johnson in the 1930's. He hardly recorded in the 1940's but kept playing in Nat Love's Club in the notorious East St. Louis.

His nickname “the Honeydripper” is often attributed to his reputation as a predatory, smooth-talking ladies man, but also sometimes to the way children used to crowd around him when he was playing. It's best not to combine the two rumors. Thanks to the blues revival in the fifties and sixties he started recording fulltime again, and did so until his death in 1983. His playing style is examplary for the St. Louis piano blues.

Favorite songs:
4:00 Blues, 44 Blues, Number Nine, Miss Ida B., Jailbait, Lonely Day, The Last Laugh

Examples:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:40 am

Robert Pete Williams is really haunting. I love it.
Now I know how did "San Fran Bay Blues".
I like all of the ones you mentioned so far.

There are a lot mixed up youtube videos under artists that aren't them.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 am

Wolfy wrote:
There are a lot mixed up youtube videos under artists that aren't them.
How do you mean, exactly?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:46 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
How do you mean, exactly?

Seems to be fine now. WTF

Don't mind me.

I hope Otis Rush is on here as you mentioned him.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am

I've mentioned a lot of people though. ;)

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:11 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I've mentioned a lot of people though. ;)

Clapton's playing is so much like Rush.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next