Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Stu

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:31 am
How dare you link me to CinemaSins.

Well, I don't like them either (I despise them, actually), it's just that they were the only channel I could find with a clip of that scene, so I didn't have a choice; forgive me, Deadman!
But, I'm going to assume this means you're cool with me linking to a Fam Guy clip, though.

:D
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 am

The Hunt for Red October is good to great. So is Crimson Tide. I particularly liked Below but that was mostly for the supernatural aspects of it. But yeah THfRO is pretty darn good.
wichares

Post by wichares » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:50 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 am
Anyway, I'm surprised to see that you feel Catwoman's character was shortchanged in the film, seeing as how many people seem to agree that she was the best character in that film, and I was personally impressed by how complete an arc Returns managed to fit in her in such a busy film, whether she was on her own (like the first scene in her apartment, where the film bothered to take a few minutes to show the beaten-down reality of her everyday life), or with Bruce and her conflicted romance with him, or her burgeoning identity crisis between her two warring sides. Really, it felt like she was the real star of the film, and if a certain IMDB list is accurate, Catwoman actually got more screentime in Batman Returns than Batman did; kind of telling of Burton's priorities when it came to that movie, eh? :D
Oh I definitely agree that she’s both the best character and the best performanc. It’s just that so much time is spent on Schrek’s and Penguin’s campaign, and I want Catwoman to be more central, as I feel some of her arc might be fleshed out better, like her disdain towards Batman.
wichares

Post by wichares » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:06 am

Batman Forever (1995)

A film pre-online culture that now feels as if it’s angling for gifable memes every few minutes. A fluid, colorful blast as I remember, with actors as varied as Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman, and Jim Carrey (“Joygasm!”) all having and leaning into campy fun that is pretty infectious to watch. Also, Keaton is definitely a better actor, but Kilmer is given more material and actual arc to do, so that his Batman is more compelling. At the moment I’m about a third of the way through Robin and in comparison, Forever has a thread of Batman grappling with his past that mirrors a newcomer Robin’s current tragedy, which helps add a slight throughline so that the film’s brash fun doesn’t feel too weightless at feature length (like the next one is already feeling now). I give Returns a very small edge for its third act’s anguished power, but this has climbed up near it on rewatch, and probably works better as a whole for me. 7.5/10
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:35 am
Can't agree. I'm a big fan, but the last 5 episodes of Justice League Unlimited s1 (2 on IMDb for some reason) starting with Question Authority are simply brilliant.
Well, I didn't say it was the best iteration of the Justice League, I said that it was better than anything in the DCEU.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 am
Well, I didn't say it was the best iteration of the Justice League, I said that it was better than anything in the DCEU.
Pardon. I misread it as the best bit of DCAU.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Murder at the Gallop - 8/10 - The third of four Margaret Rutherford as Miss Jane Marple mysteries that I've seen. That leaves only Murder Ahoy left for me to watch. This one involves yet another family ostensibly feuding over an inheritance. The usual cast of supporting characters are present in Mr. Stringer and Inspector Craddock. Robert Morley turns in his usual great performance as Hector Enderby, the owner of The Gallop, a hotel of sorts but also an equestrian riding club. Miss Marple, being the self-described snoop that she is, takes it upon herself to investigate the passing of wealthy old Enderby who apparently was frightened to death. When Inspector Craddock dismisses her theory that the old man was murdered she goes undercover at The Gallop. It's another sturdy entry in the series and if you like these kinds of British drawing room mysteries then it's a must see.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 am
How about The Hunt For Red October?:

Invisible. Silent. Stolen.

It's disappointingly rare to find a Thriller that qualifies as being truly intelligent, and walks that fine tightrope between respecting our intelligence as viewers, while still also being visceral enough to give us that feeling of excitement surging up and down your spine, but, in my opinion, The Hunt For Red October is just such a film, a submarine thriller that really, uh... thrills, but in a way that I felt my IQ going up as I watched it, not down. Although, I can't really say that the film's fundamental intelligence comes as much of a shock, seeing as how it is directed by John McTiernan, a then-promising filmmaker who was building up a bit of a reputation as the thinking man's Action director, what with the way his previous film, the almost unparalleled-y influential Die Hard pretty much subverted the entire institution of the 80's actioner in the way it finally brought the genre back down to Earth, and even something as nakedly testosterone-laden as Predator still managed to swerve our expectations by starting off like a typical one-man army vehicle for Arnie, before scouring outer space for an opponent who finally gave The Austrian Oak some actual difficulty in defeating.

So, given this impressive track record, it's no surprise that McTiernan brought his crafty eye to the murky waters of ths submarine thriller, taking the cinematic skills he learned on his previous efforts and honing them to an even sharper point, as he immerses us deep in the world of political intrigue and military fetishization that Tom Clancy created with his novel, as almost every character is either an intelligence agent, a backstabbing politician, or member of the armed forces, spouting highly technical military lingo and hatching a scheme to outsmart the other side at every turn, which gives the film a sharpness that the rest of the Jack Ryan films, which generally feel like fairly anonymous action/thrillers, just never matched. Of course, the Cold War setting helps the film out, as the spector of nuclear holocaust always looms heavy whenever discussing that almost-conflict, but rarely has that threat felt as tangible in cinema as it has here, with many murky, majestic shots of hulking submarines gradually looming towards the camera, and a score that goes heavy on the melodramatic Russian choir singing, giving the whole affair this alien, apocalyptic mood that isn't easily shaken once it's over.

Character-wise, of course, petty concerns about his innaccurate accent aside, Sean Connery is essentially perfect in bringing the sort of gruff, commanding authority we've come to expect from him with Captain Ramius, while Alec Baldwin is easily the best onscreen Jack Ryan to date, as his performance is nothing but 100% authentic and believable as the brilliant but overwhelmed young analyst caught up in a situation WAY over his head, and the rest of the rich supporting cast brought to vivid life by the screenplay's relentlessly snappy, quotable dialogue. Plot-wise, McTiernan juggles the multiple story threads with swift efficiency, showing us what's proceeding on every front quickly and clearly, and maintaining a tight attention to detail with continuous updates on the general state of affairs in smart moments and details a sloppier filmmaker would inevitably neglect, such as giving every individual submarine its own unique lighting scheme, in order to help us immediately identify exactly where we are, no matter how fast the pace has us jumping around.

In this way, the film keeps a constant balance between keeping up with the plot while also not leaving the audience behind in its wake, and on the visual front, there's a strong sense of visual clarity and weight from the reliance on kinetic long takes and zoom-ins, aided tremendously by Jan De Bont's fluid, classy cinemtography, which helps emphasize important details, and also keeps choppy editing at bay; as the various subs ascend or descend, the camera tilts alongside them in a sort of a Dutch angle, which, along with the ever-present background noise of the pounding engines, really gets across the great power and terror inherent in these underwater machines. Overall, this is one extremely tight, intense thriller (the initial torpedo evasion scene is a miniature masterpieces of action & suspense), and is, as far as I'm concerned, McTiernan's finest hour; at the risk of going all Gene Shalit on y'all, this is one hunt you'll want to join, ASAP.

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 9
I agree, I think Hunt holds up as an excellent thriller and for all the reasons you mention here. You're spot-on on Baldwin, easily the best Ryan, I'll never understand the switch to Harrison Ford (in brooding-mode) which felt all wrong to me.
Really nice write-up too, really reminded me why I've always liked this movie so much.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm
Pardon. I misread it as the best bit of DCAU.
No, I've just always been baffled that DC/WB can make such great animated shows and films and cannot seem to translate that to the big-screen over the last 7 or 8 years. I'm always like, "Just make one of these animated films into a live-action film. Or even make the 3-ep pilot of JL your live-action JL. That's seriously all you gotta do."
But they just can't get out of their own fucking way.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm
No, I've just always been baffled that DC/WB can make such great animated shows and films and cannot seem to translate that to the big-screen over the last 7 or 8 years. I'm always like, "Just make one of these animated films into a live-action film. Or even make the 3-ep pilot of JL your live-action JL. That's seriously all you gotta do."
But they just can't get out of their own fucking way.
I agree but even their animated films fell apart around the same time as the DCEU taking off. It seems as though the pressure to be the next MCU had strangled them and they keep having too many cooks rather than unifying behind a Feige type figure.
replican

Post by replican » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm

Thought some of you might be interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/j ... g-his-work
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

The Swimmer - 6/10 - Outside of a strong and mostly matchless Burt Lancaster performance there isn't much else that spoke to me. Is it better than something like The Professionals or The Birdman of Alcatraz? How about Field of Dreams? Three of my favorite Lancaster roles? Yes. Yes it is. It's also one of the most white bread movies I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few Judd Apatow films. Lancaster plays Ned Merrill, a successful ad executive. He's first shown coming out of the woods in just his swim trunks and approaching one of his friends in their backyard. He gets the idea of "swimming home" by using the pools of his many friends and acquaintances. The movie is murky from the get go and reveals itself gradually through his interactions with these neighbors. Not to give anything away but
all is not as it seems with Ned Merrill and his successful life, perfect marriage and adoring kids. It does do a good job of revealing the dissonance between what his self-absorbed and dissolute acquaintances believe and actual reality.
This could well be subtitled The Twilight of Don Draper. Or maybe not. They probably addressed this on Mad Men. I don't know because I never watched the show.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm
I agree but even their animated films fell apart around the same time as the DCEU taking off. It seems as though the pressure to be the next MCU had strangled them and they keep having too many cooks rather than unifying behind a Feige type figure.
I dunno, I liked Gotham By Gaslight and Hush pretty well. And I really like the Harley Quinn TV show.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 am
I dunno, I liked Gotham By Gaslight and Hush pretty well. And I really like the Harley Quinn TV show.
I haven't watched those yet. After a stretch of the new 52 adaptations, like Justice League War, Batman & Son, and Batman vs. Robin, along with the Trainwreck that was the Killing Joke, I found myself not enjoying them at all and just stopped watching entirely.
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Batman and Robin (1997)

Most watchable 2.5/5-range film in quite a while. Its loony storytelling is suitable for a 10- or maybe 20-minute saturday cartoon segment, but at 2 hours it's just too unforgivably numbing, even if the fun never really goes away. Uma Thurman gives a totally committed, thoroughly enjoyable, and *great* performance in this, full camp masterpiece; she's the only one totally in synch with and looks so effortless within Schumacher's blindingly gaudy aesthetic. 5.5/10
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 pm

wichares wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm
Batman and Robin (1997)

Most watchable 2.5/5-range film in quite a while. Its loony storytelling is suitable for a 10- or maybe 20-minute saturday cartoon segment, but at 2 hours it's just too unforgivably numbing, even if the fun never really goes away. Uma Thurman gives a totally committed, thoroughly enjoyable, and *great* performance in this, full camp masterpiece; she's the only one totally in synch with and looks so effortless within Schumacher's blindingly gaudy aesthetic. 5.5/10
Then have I made the perfect thing for you!

[youtube] https://youtu.be/72NBJXBBisY[/youtube]
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Muriel, Or The Time Of Return, 1963 (A)

One of the most immediately jarring movies I watched. The way the first scene is cut and filmed is one of the more confusing aspects of the movie, but the purpose becomes clearer as the movie progresses. There's an awkwardness to the people and their conversations, some unspoken tension. That tension is heightened by the seemingly random cuts, atypital ways to film conversations by not showing the person being talked to, as well as the discordant, sometimes grating music. The movie presents some terribly mundane conversations by people much less interesting than what you can find elsewhere, but all the artifices, the emerging commonalities between each character's interactions, as well as the converging topics make the movie quite captivating in the end.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 am

I've watched a lot of great stuff lately but haven't really been posting. Here's a sampling:

The Brothers Rico

Very solid, low-key noir. The shooting style is deliberately pedestrian and the script is driven by dialogue, but the film creates this palpable sense of oppression and dread within a very mundane setting; there's a scene in a hotel room with almost no violence that's still one of the more harrowing moments in noir. The antagonists are often avuncular and conversational, and their casual cruelty reminded me of characters in certain Coen Brothers films. The upbeat ending is regrettable and totally at odds with what comes before, but the sense of control up to that point is top notch (apparently it's based on a Simenon story, which I'd like to read now).

Bonjour Tristesse

One of those strange, contradictory films Preminger had such a knack for: occasionally stilted, occasionally sublime, and often within the same breath. The first decade of Godard's career is basically just him remixing this film.

Nothing But a Man

Simply one of the best films I've seen about black life in the American South. It has the rigor, sincerity, and dignity of the best Neo-realist films, radiates the quiet assurance of American independents like Cassavetes's Shadows and Burnett's Killer of Sheep (which it clearly influenced), and avoids all of the pitfalls and histrionics that the subject matter so easily falls prey too. What emerges is a portrait of a man, a relationship, and a community, all three seamlessly interwoven, all three belittled and debased by economic deprivation and pervasive, leering racism - and persisting in the face of it all, sustained by a hope born of tenderness and resilience.
One of those films that's so incredibly good that you're flabbergasted and upset that so few people have seen it.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 am

wichares wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:50 am
Oh I definitely agree that she’s both the best character and the best performanc. It’s just that so much time is spent on Schrek’s and Penguin’s campaign, and I want Catwoman to be more central, as I feel some of her arc might be fleshed out better, like her disdain towards Batman.
Well, for me, it didn't feel necessary for Returns to develop the antagonistic side of Catwoman’s dynamic with Batman any further, because the pettiness of her grudge against him made perfect sense as part of her character arc, and any more substantial justification of it would’ve been self-defeating, because the point was that Selina becoming Catwoman was her opportunity to lash out at the patriarchal society that had been oppressing her for her entire life, and Batman was one of the most prominent symbols of that society, whether he intended to be or not (which she references when she criticizes the woman in the alley for waiting around “for some Batman” to save her, in the process, also criticizing herself for being helpless and needing him to rescue her during the riot earlier in the film).

She’s basically just indulging in her most base-level urges, to lash out at a man just because he hurt her feelings by stopping her rampage just when she was starting “to feel good” about herself, because she’s sick of the way that men have been standing in her way her entire life. I mean, I’d agree with you if that was all there was to Selina’s character, but in light of her compelling her romance was with Bruce, I don’t need their rivalry developed any further in Returns than I need The Dark Knight to expand on the homoerotic subtext between Batman and The Joker in that film.

:D
replican

Post by replican » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:27 am

The problem with the campy nature of the Schumacher Batmans is that they are soooooo loud. I dig a lot of the 80s coke infused silly/over the top films because they don't assault your senses.
replican

Post by replican » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:41 am

Stu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 am
Well, for me, it didn't feel necessary for Returns to develop the antagonistic side of Catwoman’s dynamic with Batman any further, because the pettiness of her grudge against him made perfect sense as part of her character arc, and any more substantial justification of it would’ve been self-defeating, because the point was that Selina becoming Catwoman was her opportunity to lash out at the patriarchal society that had been oppressing her for her entire life, and Batman was one of the most prominent symbols of that society, whether he intended to be or not (which she references when she criticizes the woman in the alley for waiting around “for some Batman” to save her, in the process, also criticizing herself for being helpless and needing him to rescue her during the riot earlier in the film).

She’s basically just indulging in her most base-level urges, to lash out at a man just because he hurt her feelings by stopping her rampage just when she was starting “to feel good” about herself, because she’s sick of the way that men have been standing in her way her entire life. I mean, I’d agree with you if that was all there was to Selina’s character, but in light of her compelling her romance was with Bruce, I don’t need their rivalry developed any further in Returns than I need The Dark Knight to expand on the homoerotic subtext between Batman and The Joker in that film.

: D
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 am

Macrology wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 am
Bonjour Tristesse

One of those strange, contradictory films Preminger had such a knack for: occasionally stilted, occasionally sublime, and often within the same breath. The first decade of Godard's career is basically just him remixing this film.
Saw that recently and loved it, it can really hold its own with Sirk's best.

https://letterboxd.com/mrcarmady/film/b ... tristesse/
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:18 pm

It's summertime, so I have the compulsion to watch movies that won't show up on AFI or Cahiers du Cinéma lists. First up is 1990 Bronx Warriors, which gives Italian knockoffs a bad name. I know such movies aren't very reputable, but the other ones I've seen, 2019: After the Fall of New York and this movie's sequel, Escape 2000 (why do they always have a year in the title), at least try to not just glean from the Escape from New York bag of tricks. Bronx, on the other hand, is a noticeably paler imitation of its inspiration, The Warriors. Like those other knockoffs, this one also attempts to do more, but what it adds takes away from what makes The Warriors a classic. What appeals to me about that movie are its memorable characters, the creativity in its set pieces and gangs, quotable dialogue and exciting action, all of which are made possible by its simple and elegant story. Bronx complicates the story by adding a kidnapping plot, and in doing so decreases the charm of those other elements. Another quality of The Warriors is that it starts out relatively ordinary and then goes down the rabbit hole. As for Bronx, it has a much less effective mix of ordinary and weird, and its weird is less creative and more unintentionally funny, most notably its anti-intimidating roller hockey gang. The movie is watchable from start to finish, its action scenes are exciting and some of its characters like Witch (Betty Dessy) and The Ogre (Fred Williamson) held my interest despite being poorly developed. Even so, while the other knockoffs I’ve mentioned are more like Kirkland’s or President’s Choice, Bronx is more like Great Value.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slow West (Maclean, 2015)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm

I've had 1990 Bronx Warriors on my list for a while (along with After the Fall of New York) because I'm a big fan of Castellari. I've only been able to find garbage dupes though, which I'll watch for a bit then turn off because if there IS value to be found in these, it will be in the inventive visuals.

It seems, however, like the VHS era was especially hard on Italian filmmakers and their already meager budgets were slashed to ribbons and they were asked to turn in the next Terminator/Mad Max. The quality is noticably lower.

In the last week, I've watched both Hands of Steel (Martino) and Exterminators of the Year 3000 (Carnineo). If I were a betting man, I'd say Martino doing an inverted Terminator riff would be stronger than Carnimeo doing a Mad Max rip off but, while I enjoyed both, the opposite was true and it wasn't close.

Eoty3000 is a really entertaining Mad Max rip off that delivers the Road Warrior goods more than Beyond Thunderdome. It's not nearly as well made (Carnimeo is no Miller) but the content is so much more fun and closer in spirit to RW than the bizarre children's film that BT is.

Hands of Steel, on the other hand, feels a bit like a Nemesis sequel. It's better than that but two people died making it and it's like "for this???"
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 pm

The Skull - 7/10 - This is an Amicus production, directed by Freddie Francis and starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. It's based on a short story by Robert Bloch (writer of Psycho) and also features quite a few British mainstays like Nigel Green, Patrick Wymark, Michael Gough and Patrick Magee. It's easy to confuse Amicus productions with Hammer Studios with the principal difference being that, unlike Hammer's Gothic offerings, their films were mostly set in the present. Cushing plays Christopher Maitland, a writer who specializes in the occult. Unscrupulous dealer Anthony Marco (Wymark) sells him a volume on the life of the Marquis De Sade. It's supposedly bound in human skin and he then promises Maitland an even bigger prize which turns out to be the skull of De Sade. Christopher Lee plays Sir Matthew Phillips who outbids Maitland for four cabalistic carvings that turn out to have a connection with Maitland's purchases. Director Francis also worked as a cinematographer of some note and the movie is rich in color and imagery. There's an odd sort of dream sequence where Cushing's character is forced to play Russian roulette and the movie also employs a point of view shot that can only be called Skull-O-Vison. It's not the strongest entry in the Cushing/Lee catalogue but anything with these two gentleman is not only welcome but worthy of a watch.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm
I've had 1990 Bronx Warriors on my list for a while (along with After the Fall of New York) because I'm a big fan of Castellari. I've only been able to find garbage dupes though, which I'll watch for a bit then turn off because if there IS value to be found in these, it will be in the inventive visuals.
You may already be aware of these, but a few YouTube users have uploaded the entire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEqOnHclmh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob03Lk8b-7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5DPV-iC6k

Also, Amazon Prime has the Rifftrax version, which is in HD, but like other riffed movies, it's heavily cut.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm
You may already be aware of these, but a few YouTube users have uploaded the entire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEqOnHclmh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob03Lk8b-7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5DPV-iC6k

Also, Amazon Prime has the Rifftrax version, which is in HD, but like other riffed movies, it's heavily cut.
Neat! Thanks! Last time I checked, the only versions uploaded on the net were hideous VHS transfers. I am not terribly surprised as I found that the Code Red Blu-ray transfer of Hands of Steel had mysteriously popped up on YouTube, a fact I didn't discover till after buying said Blu-ray.

I'm not down with Rifftrax. If anyone is going to talk and make crappy jokes during my movie it's going to be ME!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59 pm

The Skull is a fave of mine. There's not much to it but it's a lot of fun.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 pm

I got the Skull in a two pack Blu with the Man Who Could Cheat Death. I was much more interested in the latter so I was shocked to find it fairly forgettable and that I loved the Skull. One of the few Amicus movies I've watched. I need to stockpile some titles and plan a dive into it like I did with Hammer.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 pm
I got the Skull in a two pack Blu with the Man Who Could Cheat Death. I was much more interested in the latter so I was shocked to find it fairly forgettable and that I loved the Skull. One of the few Amicus movies I've watched. I need to stockpile some titles and plan a dive into it like I did with Hammer.
I'm an Amicus fanboy but the anthologies seem to be a love/hate thing with people. For me they're the equivalent of my favorite PJs. Love 'em, flaws and all. I even like The Deadly Bees. I believe The Beast Must Die has some fans around here, but Lord do I struggle to stay awake during that one. How can a movie with a literal Werewolf Break be such a snooze?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 pm
I'm an Amicus fanboy but the anthologies seem to be a love/hate thing with people. For me they're the equivalent of my favorite PJs. Love 'em, flaws and all. I even like The Deadly Bees. I believe The Beast Must Die has some fans around here, but Lord do I struggle to stay awake during that one. How can a movie with a literal Werewolf Break be such a snooze?
I really wanted the Amicus collection from Severin but I believe it went OOP. The Asylum is of particular interest.

I've been thinking of grabbing their new release of the Beast Must Die during their sale, if they ever get their website back up.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 pm

Danger: Diabolik was an absolute blast and feels more more akin to the bizarre 90's comic book adaptations we discussed than any of it's contemporaries. Zany, campy, sexy, silly, stylish and fun. Maybe my favorite non-horror from Bava.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm
I really wanted the Amicus collection from Severin but I believe it went OOP. The Asylum is of particular interest.

I've been thinking of grabbing their new release of the Beast Must Die during their sale, if they ever get their website back up.
My copy of the box is numbered so I guess it was a limited thing (3500, according to my stamp.)

Asylum features the Lil' Herbert Lom Robot, which makes it essential viewing for all cinephiles.

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Virtually all of Severin's stuff is limited. I was waiting for a sale or for just a general drop in price and suddenly it's OOP and quadruple the price.

I think they may be doing individual releases so I may just gradually snag them.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 pm
Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors, bitches!

(Torture Garden is a pretty bizarre if predictable little title, as well.)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Doctor Sleep - 8/10 - This is actually a pretty good Stephen King adaptation. Of course it doesn't stack up to Kubrick's original but I don't think that possibility was even on the table. But Ewan McGregor is rock solid as a grown and still deeply damaged Danny Torrance and the villains are particularly despicable and repugnant. You badly want to see them get theirs. And plausible and unambiguous bad guys always make for a better movie watching experience. I never read the King novel so there was only an impression that this was a shorthand version. And I was going to say that it lost some steam towards the end but again, having never read the book, I can't say if it wasn't a perfectly serviceable ending. The only quibble I might have is that there may have been one too many references and callbacks to the original. Otherwise this was a surprisingly good adaptation.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:20 pm
Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors, bitches!
Hells yeah.

DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:46 am

Free Fire (2016) - B/B+

I have a great admiration for filmmakers who can effectively write dumbasses (I don't know if anyone does it better than the Coens). This film surrounds its key players with dumbasses who disrupt and ruin everything with petty grievance, and eventually you realize the leads might not be the brightest either; they hired these dopes, after all. Sam Riley (as Stevo) impressed me the most, playing a wide range of brashness (he stupidly sets off the action), shame, heedless self-righteousness, until he's ultimately just plain tired. Jump/Wheatley generally value impressionistic direction over cleanly-organized violence. That's probably the right choice. I always had a sense of where people were, leaving me as moderately confused as the leads. It's only when one bullet-ridden moron's crawling after another that things slow down and clarify. Blood loss'll do that to ya.

1. Kill List
2. Free Fire
3. High-Rise
4. A Field in England
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Supercop is another fun entry in the Police Story series. Like its predecessors, this entry also demonstrates the singular appeal of action scenes set in real locations and that feature performers doing their own stunts. Some of my favorite action movies feature sets, stuntpeople and/or CGI, but watching Jackie Chan hang on for dear life to a ladder attached to a helicopter that's swooping through Kuala Lumpur gave me a sensation akin to riding a bicycle without training wheels for the first time that such movies rarely provide. While Chan brings the excitement and laughs like he always does, this is also very much Yeoh's movie. Her screen presence and martial arts prowess is on par with Jackie's, thus making their partnership a pleasantly balanced one. Maggie Cheung is back as Chan's girlfriend, and while she's not in this movie as much as she is in Police Story, she makes her role more significant than its description suggests. With all that said, it's not a game-changer like the first movie. Even though it spends enough time establishing the premise, the characters, their relationships, etc. and it doesn't just use the still-contentious relationship between Hong Kong and mainland China as a gimmick, the whole thing still seems a bit fluffy. Even so, the movie adds strength to the argument that the Police Story series features Chan's best work.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 pm

Police Story 1-3 would be the greatest action trilogy if they’d stopped with Supercop. That said, the next proper entry, First Strike (stupid name for a 4th film, especially when Weinstein drops the “Police Story” for US release) and Supercop 2 are still quite good (SC2 being the best) and the reboots (New Police Story and Police Story: Lockdown) are solid enough movies, they just don’t continue any plot or maintain similar tones. So overall, it’s still among my favorite franchises, it just never really escaped the diminishing returns that sequels usually provide.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Ooh, that's good to know about Supercop 2. Supercop made me want to watch everything Michelle Yeoh has ever been in, buy stock in companies she owns, etc.

Apparently, the latest entry, Bleeding Steel, involves cyborgs, mechanical hearts and is Neil Breen-grade crazy.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:40 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm
Ooh, that's good to know about Supercop 2. Supercop made me want to watch everything Michelle Yeoh has ever been in, buy stock in companies she owns, etc.

Apparently, the latest entry, Bleeding Steel, involves cyborgs, mechanical hearts and is Neil Breen-grade crazy.
Aside from the rare film, my love affair with HK cinema has more or less been strangled to death by Chinese censorship and mainland sensibilities, so I'm.not surprised.

Aside from a theme song link, where did you see Bleeding Steel was a PS film? I can't find any billing or connections beyond that. It's been a while since I watched a Chan film so if it's an official PS film, I'll have to check it out.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:40 pm
Aside from a theme song link, where did you see Bleeding Steel was a PS film? I can't find any billing or connections beyond that. It's been a while since I watched a Chan film so if it's an official PS film, I'll have to check it out.
I'm going by the very official Police Story series Wikipedia page.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:05 am

Torgo wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 pm
I'm going by the very official Police Story series Wikipedia page.
Ah. It is unofficial as it was branded a PS film in Japan. Not good enough for me!

I'll probably still watch it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:27 am

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning - 7/10 - When judging films in this franchise it's always a good idea to remember that the original wasn't exactly a classic. It had it's moments but it was still a glorified B movie. This is different enough to judge on it's own merits. It introduces elements of splatterfest with it's own martial arts/gun fu origins. And make no mistake, it's strictly a Scott Adkins feature. Van Damme and Lundgren appear to be included just to keep it canonical. It is confusing in this regard though. Having been set up as mortal enemies in previous outings the script is never really clear as to either character's true motivations. So it comes as a bit of a surprise towards the end when both of them appear to have been on the same side the whole time. Oh well. Adkins does an effective job as the ostensible hero and the fights are kinetic and savage. And like I said, it doesn't skimp on the gore.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:33 am

DOR is easily my favorite US film. It’s homages to Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now filtered through Noé-esque aesthetics really tickled me. Plus, Adkins is among the best western action stars despite being largely related to DTV.

I think it was likely an original script that was retrofitted to work as a US film, so there is some hinky continuity. I didn’t take issue with that as the entire series has terrible continuity. On its own, it’s a refreshingly stylish, brutal and well made action flick about clone soldiers forced to kill each other.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 am

Yeah, towards the end there they do go full on Colonel Kurtz with Van Damme. Also, the climactic fights between Adkins and both Deveraux and Scott it did seem to be set up as a passing of the torch.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:05 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 am
Yeah, towards the end there they do go full on Colonel Kurtz with Van Damme. Also, the climactic fights between Adkins and both Deveraux and Scott it did seem to be set up as a passing of the torch.
Indeed and I think it’s a shame he and Hyams haven’t closed out a DTV trilogy.

Also, as per your Lundgren/Damme in kahoots remark, I think the presence of clones (along with Lundgren’s fate in both the original and regeneration) helps negate any “aren’t they supposed to be enemies?” issues.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:39 pm

The Kid (1921) - B

The dream sequence toward the end didn't do much for me, but the quick flick has enough quality gags and sentiment between Chaplin and the lil kid to make for a good time (and a interesting harbinger of things to come for Chaplin).

Mean Streets (1973)

Had to stop tape on this halfway through (liked what I was seeing) due to Los Angeles basically exploding into a fireworks orgy (in defiance of new ordinances (which led of course to hundreds and hundreds of fire department calls)) at the same time I was learning that Ye wants to run for president. I just can't with this stupid fucking year. I'm just so goddamn tired.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Fighting with My Family('19 - Merchant)

A former wrestler trains and coachs his kids. While they eye moving to the big time (WWE). Found it both fun, heartfelt and entertaining.loosely based on a true story. Will get a rewatch soon.

7/10