Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

plainview wrote:
In that state, are you referring to the diary that Anna is reading at the very end?
Well, I'm referring to her writing in that diary in the midst of her excruciating illness, and the content of the writing, and the juxtaposition with the others in 'perfect health' - physically, obviously.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:07 pm

LEAVES wrote:Well, I'm referring to her writing in that diary in the midst of her excruciating illness, and the content of the writing, and the juxtaposition with the others in 'perfect health' - physically, obviously.
Yes, you're right, it's something quite great to acknowledge, and another strong element of the film.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Where does this rank for you among Bergman's films?
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I should re-watch Cries and Whispers. Until then I still say it is one of his best.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 pm

plainview wrote:Where does this rank for you among Bergman's films?
#1, among what I've seen. But I think I like it a good deal more than you.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:11 pm

LEAVES wrote:#1, among what I've seen. But I think I like it a good deal more than you.
Yes, the only two Bergman I've seen are this and Fanny and Alexander.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

plainview wrote:
Yes, the only two Bergman I've seen are this and Fanny and Alexander.
Well, obviously, Persona. If for nothing else than because Vasco said so.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

LEAVES wrote:Well, obviously, Persona. If for nothing else than because Vasco said so.
Have you seen Scenes from a Marriage?
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 pm

plainview wrote:
Have you seen Scenes from a Marriage?
No, I'm in the middle of the Faith trilogy, then I'll watch that, and Saraband and then... I'm pretty much done for a while with him. I'll have seen everything I really wanted to see. Then it will just be mild curiosities remaining.

But Fassbinder is already better than Bergman. I said it, Bear, I said it.
User avatar
Blevo
Posts: 13356
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Blevo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 am

Polanski double feature tonight (Knife & Repulsion).
User avatar
Wolf of the Winter
Posts: 8522
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:51 am
Location: Sex Bob-Omb! One, Two, Three, Four!

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Wolf of the Winter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 am

I finally saw A Serious Man. Great movie.

Tonight I'll watch The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and tomorrow 25th Hour.
I feel like I'm in this river, just getting swept along, and if I hold to anyone, if I'm holding on for dear life, I'm not getting anywhere, I'm stuck... I never wanted to get stuck...

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Avatar: TLA
The Beatles*


* = Unfinished
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:39 am

LEAVES wrote:No, I'm in the middle of the Faith trilogy, then I'll watch that, and Saraband and then... I'm pretty much done for a while with him. I'll have seen everything I really wanted to see. Then it will just be mild curiosities remaining.

But Fassbinder is already better than Bergman. I said it, Bear, I said it.
The Silence is great.

Fassbinder much better.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 am

Trip wrote:
The Silence is great.

Fassbinder much better.
What are your thoughts on the BRD?
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by B-Side » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 am

LEAVES should watch In a Year with 13 Moons.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am

LEAVES wrote:What are your thoughts on the BRD?
It's pretty damn monumental. The B is obviously the strongest. R, if that's Veronika Voss, is the lesser but still gorgeously shot in black + white. Lola is equally gorgeous but for colour, and more probing in the economic/political/societal sense (also, brothel!), but even then not as precise as Maria Braun.

I do prefer his 70s stuff though in general.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Blevo
Posts: 13356
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Blevo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

Smitty Werbenmanjensen wrote:LEAVES should watch In a Year with 13 Moons.
I have a bit of trepidation about this happening. I can never quite tell where he is going to land on things and that film has got to be one of my five favorites.
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by B-Side » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 am

Blevo wrote:
I have a bit of trepidation about this happening. I can never quite tell where he is going to land on things and that film has got to be one of my five favorites.
:heart: :heart: :heart:
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 am

I'm almost done with Lola and if it stopped now it would be my favorite of the three by a good amount. Ja! Lola, ich liebe dich. Lola herself, well, I love her world. Not so hot on the colored lighting, either, for the most part, although in some instances it works really well (the same could be said of The Cook...), but it's hilarious and everything is so spot on in the moment and so delicious in the grand scheme of things that, well, liebe.
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 am

LEAVES wrote:I'm almost done with Lola and if it stopped now it would be my favorite of the three by a good amount. Ja! Lola, ich liebe dich. Lola herself, well, I love her world. Not so hot on the colored lighting, either, for the most part, although in some instances it works really well (the same could be said of The Cook...), but it's hilarious and everything is so spot on in the moment and so delicious in the grand scheme of things that, well, liebe.
Loooove youuuuuuuuu.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 am

Trip wrote:
Loooove youuuuuuuuu.
But... your opinion is wrong. Doesn't this make you ANGRY?
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 am

LEAVES wrote:But... your opinion is wrong. Doesn't this make you ANGRY?
I'm open enough to admit my terrible mistakes of opinion.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 am

Trip wrote:
I'm open enough to admit my terrible mistakes of opinion.
You say this, but here I am expecting a nasty PM any second now.
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 am

LEAVES wrote:(the same could be said of The Cook...)
Ahem.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 am

Epistemophobia wrote: Ahem.
I generally despise mood lighting. That orange/green stuff in the kitchen just looks ugly, especially when it turns the food all 'green eggs and ham'. With the red hallway it works to perfection, but elsewhere I could do without.

As I said, it has its virtues, but sometimes it's just ugly and distracting. It doesn't really detract much given that both films are so strong otherwise, but if those elements which didn't work well had worked better then it would have been an even more engrossing experience.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 am

BRD 3: L
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 am

LEAVES wrote:I generally despise mood lighting. That orange/green stuff in the kitchen just looks ugly, especially when it turns the food all 'green eggs and ham'. With the red hallway it works to perfection, but elsewhere I could do without.

As I said, it has its virtues, but sometimes it's just ugly and distracting. It doesn't really detract much given that both films are so strong otherwise, but if those elements which didn't work well had worked better then it would have been an even more engrossing experience.
You'll probably like The Belly of an Architect more. You haven't seen that one yet, right? Visually divine.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 am

Wolf of the Winter wrote:
Tonight I'll watch The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and tomorrow 25th Hour.
One of those is in my top 20, the other is very average.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15657
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently seen.

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:29 am

Epistemophobia wrote: You'll probably like The Belly of an Architect more. You haven't seen that one yet, right? Visually divine.
Not yet, no. It's hidden away from the viewing public. Such a film must not get out.
User avatar
lwilson85
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:02 am

Re: Recently seen.

Post by lwilson85 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 am

Just sawed Camel(s) from Korea. Was good. Seemed to be about the awkwardness and problematic nature of having an affair in long static shots with little movement.
Last films watched:
Love in Another Language (09) (Basarir) Decent debut, but too conventional for its own good. She has potential though.
Private (04) (Costanzo) is sore. It hurts.
Le pompier des Folies Bergères (28) (Unknown) The surrealistic equivalent of a cold shower.
Slaughterhouse-Five (72) (Hill) Life is but a fragmented, Tralfmadore non-chronological hop-scotch skip dance.
User avatar
Wolf of the Winter
Posts: 8522
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:51 am
Location: Sex Bob-Omb! One, Two, Three, Four!

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Wolf of the Winter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:04 am

plainview wrote:
One of those is in my top 20, the other is very average.
Parnassus is the first and 25th the second?
I feel like I'm in this river, just getting swept along, and if I hold to anyone, if I'm holding on for dear life, I'm not getting anywhere, I'm stuck... I never wanted to get stuck...

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Avatar: TLA
The Beatles*


* = Unfinished
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by plain » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 am

Wolf of the Winter wrote:Parnassus is the first and 25th the second?
no.
User avatar
Wolf of the Winter
Posts: 8522
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:51 am
Location: Sex Bob-Omb! One, Two, Three, Four!

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Wolf of the Winter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 am

plainview wrote:no.
I see. For a moment I thought you were TAS, that's why I said Parnassus in your top 20. :P
I feel like I'm in this river, just getting swept along, and if I hold to anyone, if I'm holding on for dear life, I'm not getting anywhere, I'm stuck... I never wanted to get stuck...

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Avatar: TLA
The Beatles*


* = Unfinished
swan swan h

Re: Recently seen.

Post by swan swan h » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 am

Love Affair, Or The Case Of The Missing Switchboard Operator (Dusan Makavejev/1967) B-

Rats and sex or the other way around.
User avatar
Vasco
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Vasco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 am

Nine.
I'm sorry.
swan swan h

Re: Recently seen.

Post by swan swan h » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 am

Girl Boss Blues: Escape From Reform School (Sadao Nakajima/1973) C

Not one of the better entries.
User avatar
Shades.
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Shades. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Mary and Max (2009, Adam Elliot) - B+

I thought it was very charming and sweet.
Watched
Mystery Team (Eckman, 2009)
School of the Holy Beast (Suzuki, 1974)
Casualties of War (De Palma, 1989)
Book of Eli (Hughes Brothers, 2010)
Mister Lonely (Korine, 2007)
User avatar
Fist
Posts: 16766
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Fist » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Vasco wrote:Nine.
I'm sorry.
But... but, Marion!


...and Penelope!
Yeah, it's not good.
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Vasco wrote:Nine.
I'm sorry.
Cinematic sinner.
User avatar
Armin
Posts: 3482
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:53 pm
Location: Flashing through time

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Armin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm going for a marathon tonight! Gate of Flesh, Killing of a Chinese Bookie and moare.
"I'd prostitute my talents if it would further my cause, steal if there was no way out, kill my friends or anyone else if it would help my art."
Letterboxd.
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Armin wrote:I'm going for a marathon tonight! Gate of Flesh, Killing of a Chinese Bookie and moare.
Those are both excellent. They might even go together?
User avatar
Leera
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am
Location: the Bible Belt
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Leera » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I finally watched Bright Star. It officially became the third film to ever make me cry, and the first of those that I'm not ashamed to admit such an emotional response.
User avatar
Epistemophobia
Posts: 29797
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Epistemophobia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Leera wrote:I finally watched Bright Star. It officially became the third film to ever make me cry, and the first of those that I'm not ashamed to admit such an emotional response.
:heart:

Yay.
User avatar
Leera
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am
Location: the Bible Belt
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Leera » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 am

Epistemophobia wrote: :heart:

Yay.
Now I resolve to watch more Campion. Not even the threat of Harvey Keitel's naked self will deter me.
User avatar
Orpheline
Posts: 10741
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Orpheline » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:15 am

Leera wrote: Now I resolve to watch more Campion. Not even the threat of Harvey Keitel's naked self will deter me.
Harvey Keitel is damn sexy in The Piano.
User avatar
Leera
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am
Location: the Bible Belt
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Leera » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17 am

Orpheline wrote: Harvey Keitel is damn sexy in The Piano.
Oh.

...are you sure about that? It's Harvey Keitel.

Just kidding. I was oddly attracted to Philip Seymour Hoffman in a film I watched the other day. It was terrifying.
User avatar
Captain Oats
Posts: 28938
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Captain Oats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am

Leera wrote:Just kidding. I was oddly attracted to Philip Seymour Hoffman in a film I watched the other day. It was terrifying.
arsch would be proud.
User avatar
Orpheline
Posts: 10741
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Orpheline » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:26 am

Leera wrote: Oh.

...are you sure about that? It's Harvey Keitel.

Just kidding. I was oddly attracted to Philip Seymour Hoffman in a film I watched the other day. It was terrifying.
I swear :P He has a rugged masculinity that is very attractive, and a nice voice. His body really isn't bad either.
User avatar
Vasco
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Vasco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:26 am

Magic Fister wrote:
But... but, Marion!


...and Penelope!
Yeah, it's not good.
Epi wrote:Cinematic sinner.
Image

Image
User avatar
Captain Oats
Posts: 28938
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Captain Oats » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am

The sole good parts of that film.
User avatar
Vasco
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Recently seen.

Post by Vasco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 am

Spengler wrote:The sole good parts of that film.
Rob Marshall is poo.
Post Reply