Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25046
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Once it comes out on DVD, I'll keep your critique in mind, because you may be right about her disappearing. I'm trying to remember how much time passed between the Blaxpoitation scene and the part she broke up with him, but I'm not quite sure. She did break up with him though. Don't you remember the scene when he admitted to her he was a cop? That's what caused it. Also, it was hinted at the end that they weren't going to get back together as she wanted him to leave the police force, something he was reluctant to do. Regardless of how much time passed though, I wouldn't say my connection to her was lacking by the time her life was in danger. I still wanted him to save her. So, even if she did leave the film for a long time, I can't see that plot point weakening the film for me.
Black Panther wouldn't be a possibility for one of my top picks of this year, but I still thought it was really good. I haven't seen a lot of films as well. I have a habit of slacking when it comes to catching up on new films. The fact that I'm going to college in a few days doesn't really help that as well. Although, I'll be home for 2 weeks during Christmas time, so I hope to catch up during that time.
Well, it seemed at the time like they were broken up for good, but then he saved her life, they met again at his apartment, and she gave him a chance to give up being a cop so they could keep dating, just before they got "interrupted" by more pressing matters, so a breakup was never really made official, but it doesn't matter much when or if it happened, seeing as how the status of their relationship was made somewhat irrelevant to the film overall. Anyway, my problem with Patrice's absence from the 2nd half of the film isn't that it weakened my concern for her during the climax, but that it betrays somewhat of a sense of sloppiness and lack of focus to the film's storytelling, which I similarly saw reflected in the way that the third man on Ron & Flip's little taskforce (who I can't even remember the name of) also disappeared for large swathes of the film, for even longer stretches than even Patrice, for little apparent reason. That being said though, I still really enjoyed the energy, potency, and overall style of KkKlansman, so I still liked the movie as a whole a lot anyway, regardless of any flaws I found with it.
Anyway, like you, I can't watch as many films as I did when I was a teen because I'm partly burned out on cinema as a whole (but only partly!), working a somewhat stressful full-time job with no more endless summer vacations severely cuts into my free time, and I tend to be extremely picky with what I do want to see when I do have enough time and the right mood to watch anything, wanting to watch only one particular thing at a time, so that cuts down the amount of movies I watch as a whole. I'm not giving up on film overall, though, not by a long shot! Anyway, congratulations on starting college, Popcorn! I know my time away at school wasn't always easy, but it definitely helped turn me into the person I am today, and I wouldn't trade those four years I spent away for the world. Where are you going/what are you studying, by the way?
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25046
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:15 am

Wooley wrote: I had a different reaction to my recent rewatch of E.T..
I only watched it once over a decade ago, and it did very little to warm my heart, as they say :shifty: Which is weird, because I enjoyed Super 8 pretty well (though it is a darker entertainment, but that's probably part of why I liked it better), and Spielberg's sentimentality didn't bother me much in some of my more grounded favorites from him like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List, but those two earn their more tender moments by displaying the horrors of World War II/The Holocaust in such a raw, blunt manner, while on the other hand, E.T. just felt a bit too... "soft" around the edges, if I had to describe it.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:36 am

Stu wrote:I only watched it once over a decade ago, and it did very little to warm my heart, as they say :shifty: Which is weird, because I enjoyed Super 8 pretty well (though it is a darker entertainment, but that's probably part of why I liked it better), and Spielberg's sentimentality didn't bother me much in some of my more grounded favorites from him like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List, but those two earn their more tender moments by displaying the horrors of World War II/The Holocaust in such a raw, blunt manner, while on the other hand, E.T. just felt a bit too... "soft" around the edges, if I had to describe it.
Yeah, a lot of it's that for sure. E.T. was kinda the end of a lot of cinema that I really liked, IMO. I mean, Cloak & Dagger is after, but it's already kind of an anomaly and dying.
User avatar
Ace
Posts: 23721
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ace » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 am

When I watched Steven Spielberg introduce the ending of ET and then to have John WIlliams conduct it live...all those feelings came coming back. I hadn't seen it in over a decade but man somehow that ending still packed that punch.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Stu wrote:
Well, it seemed at the time like they were broken up for good, but then he saved her life, they met again at his apartment, and she gave him a chance to give up being a cop so they could keep dating, just before they got "interrupted" by more pressing matters, so a breakup was never really made official, but it doesn't matter much when or if it happened, seeing as how the status of their relationship was made somewhat irrelevant to the film overall. Anyway, my problem with Patrice's absence from the 2nd half of the film isn't that it weakened my concern for her during the climax, but that it betrays somewhat of a sense of sloppiness and lack of focus to the film's storytelling, which I similarly saw reflected in the way that the third man on Ron & Flip's little taskforce (who I can't even remember the name of) also disappeared for large swathes of the film, for even longer stretches than even Patrice, for little apparent reason. That being said though, I still really enjoyed the energy, potency, and overall style of KkKlansman, so I still liked the movie as a whole a lot anyway, regardless of any flaws I found with it.
Anyway, like you, I can't watch as many films as I did when I was a teen because I'm partly burned out on cinema as a whole (but only partly!), working a somewhat stressful full-time job with no more endless summer vacations severely cuts into my free time, and I tend to be extremely picky with what I do want to see when I do have enough time and the right mood to watch anything, wanting to watch only one particular thing at a time, so that cuts down the amount of movies I watch as a whole. I'm not giving up on film overall, though, not by a long shot! Anyway, congratulations on starting college, Popcorn! I know my time away at school wasn't always easy, but it definitely helped turn me into the person I am today, and I wouldn't trade those four years I spent away for the world. Where are you going/what are you studying, by the way?
While the final scene was interrupted by the KKK members, I do remember that, in their dialogue, Patrice was unwilling to date him unless he'd leave the police force, something he was reluctant to do. That happened before they were interrupted, so I don't feel like their relationship is solid by the time the movie ends. I think there's still some doubt in whether they'll remain together. Besides, there's still the section of the film in the middle where she did leave him. In all honesty, I don't remember Patrice disappearing for long stretches, but if I revisit it again, I might find you to be correct. As for the 3rd cop (I'm assuming you were referring to the racist cop who was tricked and arrested at the end), I do remember him not being in the film that much. The film may have been able to do more with his character if he was given more screen time, but I don't think he was as essential to the plot as some of the other characters were, so I wasn't bothered by his absence that much. But sure, I could see more of an issue with Patrice's character being absent. I still think it's really good though.
I'm actually about to head to my first class in an hour. Hopefully, I'll still be able to squeeze in some free time here and there, but I'm going to make sure to put studying before all leisure time. I'm staying at University of Michigan - Flint, and I plan to major in Finance.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1475
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Luke Cage (season 1) - 8/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am

I'm about 20 minutes into Command Performance, a film directed by and starring Dolph Lundgren.

Now, look, I knew what kind of film I was in for. But I do have to note that there have been no less than three different scenes where a woman 25 years his junior has been like "Who's THAT?!?! OMG so hot!!!" and then propositioned him and Dolph's like "Sorry, ladies" *weary chuckle*.

There's just something extra special about the way that some guys can't help but put in those scenes into movies they are making with themselves. It makes me think of when I was little and a friend saw The Horse Whisperer and said "Whoa--whoever directed this movie has a HUGE crush on Robert Redford!" And I was like, "It was directed by Robert Redford."

Anyway, in the action scene currently taking place the subtitles keep reading "unintelligible", and so far that kind of sums up the movie.

Okay, Dolph Lundgren just told a bad guy "Watch the hair, dude!" and then stabbed him in the face with a knife that went in under his chin and out his right eyeball, so I'm back on board!
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 am

Death Proof wrote:Luke Cage (season 1) - 8/10
:shock:
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Tag - 6/10. This is a pretty good comedy based on the true story of a group of adult friends who have maintained a game of tag for over 20 years. Like another 2018 comedy, Game Night, a single character is responsible for most of the movie's best and funniest moments. While Game Night's MVP is Gary, Jesse Plemons' creepy neighbor character, Tag's is Jerry (Jeremy Renner), a friend whose Jason Bourne-like athleticism made him the game's reigning champion. However, while Game Night is still very funny when Gary is not around, Tag - as amusing as Hannibal Buress's philosophizing character may be - goes limp whenever it's Jerry-free.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1475
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Wooley wrote: :shock:

Too high? Too low?

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:10 pm

I enjoyed Luke Cage season 1 a lot as well. I liked how it
set up Cottonmouth as the big bad, but ended up going in a completely different direction.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
boojiboyhowdy
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Death Proof wrote:Too high? Too low?
I'm guessing too high since 8/10 doesn't come off as something that would astonish anyone. I thought it was more of a 6.5 or 7/10 but I can see why some would rate it much lower.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 am

Death Proof wrote:

Too high? Too low?
I would have gone 8 or even 9/10 on the first 6 or so episodes but I wouldn't go higher than probably 4 on the last 7 or 8. So wherever that averages out. I don't know when I've seen something go off the rails so badly.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Baywatch, 2017 (D)

A few jokes land, most don't. The arcs are bad, the action is bad, the climax sucks, the cgi is awful, the plot is subpar action movie stock plot. There's also an abundance of jokes about what I can only assume to be references to the original series, which I haven't seen, but those don't land either even when you get what they are.
User avatar
topherH
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by topherH » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Annihilation - 9/10
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:20 am

The Last Movie Star - 4/10

I actually saw this a couple of months back, but I figured that this was a good time to mention it. Not Burt Reynolds' last film but close enough. This film is pretty awful on any objective measure, but I would urge Burt's fans to double the rating above to make it worth seeing. It is worth seeing for his fans who want a close approximation of a Burt Reynolds' autobiographical mea culpa for his many years of ego-fueled aloofness and abuse of those in his proximity. And this mea culpa seems genuinely sincere, despite being couched in lame-ass pity-indulging writing. Reynolds gives it his all, of what he has left, and manages some poignancy that the rest of the film never really earns. It's heartbreaking in many ways, in many missed opportunities. But if you've already seen Boogie Nights a dozen times, this is probably the best wake for his fans. I wish it had been better, or even competent.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Knowing, 2009, 2nd watch (B)

It's an interesting idea and the plot does go there, but there's a bunch of fluff and there's a lot tacked on just for a vaguely happy ending that is just entirely unjustified.

The writer apparently wrote another movie about a kid and numbers in the 90's, I might pick it up sometime.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 pm

The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) - What to even say about this?/10
It's better than I expected, how's that?
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Charles wrote:Knowing, 2009, 2nd watch (B)

It's an interesting idea and the plot does go there, but there's a bunch of fluff and there's a lot tacked on just for a vaguely happy ending that is just entirely unjustified.

The writer apparently wrote another movie about a kid and numbers in the 90's, I might pick it up sometime.
Mercury Rising (the film where an autistic boy decodes an NSA cypher or something and then Bruce Willis has to keep him from being assassinated) is okay. Like many films (and especially those from more than ten years ago), the portrayal of autism is . . . very iffy. From what I can remember it's a pretty standard late-90s thriller. The only part I really remember is from the beginning: the boy solving a puzzle book clue which tells him to call a certain phone number, and then the operator on the other end of the line being horrified to realize he's talking to a child.
Melvin Butterworth
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 pm

topherH wrote:Annihilation - 9/10
A lot of people hated it.

I thought it was fine.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:36 am

Charles wrote:Knowing, 2009, 2nd watch (B)

It's an interesting idea and the plot does go there, but there's a bunch of fluff and there's a lot tacked on just for a vaguely happy ending that is just entirely unjustified.

The writer apparently wrote another movie about a kid and numbers in the 90's, I might pick it up sometime.
I think this is an underrated film which gets a bad rap due to Nicolas Cage. I feel like it has a really interesting plot with a few clever twists near the end. I do feel like the ending is a satisfying payoff though despite the fact it's written as a crowd pleaser.
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25046
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:18 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
As for the 3rd cop (I'm assuming you were referring to the racist cop who was tricked and arrested at the end), I do remember him not being in the film that much. The film may have been able to do more with his character if he was given more screen time, but I don't think he was as essential to the plot as some of the other characters were, so I wasn't bothered by his absence that much. But sure, I could see more of an issue with Patrice's character being absent. I still think it's really good though.
I'm actually about to head to my first class in an hour. Hopefully, I'll still be able to squeeze in some free time here and there, but I'm going to make sure to put studying before all leisure time. I'm staying at University of Michigan - Flint, and I plan to major in Finance.
No, I mean the cop who was the third member of the little taskforce that Ron assembled to investigate the Klan; given that you forgot all about him, I think my point about him disappearing from the film too much is proven :D
Anyway, work before play is always a good idea, to a certain extent; at any rate, try to have some fun when you can, and stay in touch!
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25046
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:21 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
A lot of people hated it.

I thought it was fine.
Me too; admittedly, the first 3/4ths of the film definitely paled in comparison to the climax, but that alone made the film worth watching at least once, at the very least.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:38 am

Stu wrote:
No, I mean the cop who was the third member of the little taskforce that Ron assembled to investigate the Klan; given that you forgot all about him, I think my point about him disappearing from the film too much is proven :D
Anyway, work before play is always a good idea, to a certain extent; at any rate, try to have some fun when you can, and stay in touch!
Very true.
Yeah, I'm trying to save some room for leisure time. Once I get a few weeks in, I imagine I'll find the right balance which I'm comfortable with.
User avatar
boojiboyhowdy
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Scarecrows - 4/10 - This is supposedly a cult movie and I do seem to remember hearing or reading about it in the past. It's not very good even though the setup and plot synopsis sound pretty interesting. Mercenaries rob a payroll from Camp Pendleton and force a cargo pilot and his daughter to fly them to Mexico. One of the crew double crosses the rest and parachutes into a deserted cornfield with the money. Anyway I don't know how but they end up in Florida (at least that's where it was filmed) but this is a low budget affair that doesn't invite much in the way of speculation. I usually try not to include too many details but since you'd probably be better served simply reading the description and skipping the movie I figured it would be okay. The performances are all-inclusive as far as bush league scenery chewing goes. The supernatural (again, not explained) carnage is pretty respectable though.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm

I posted a longer review in Thief's thread, but Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx was another incredibly entertaining entry in this series. I haven't watched the series in order--I've seen the first film and I think the fourth and sixth entries.

I just really, really dig the vibe, the outlandish elevated reality, and the delirious blood-spurting lack of inhibition of the fight scenes.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:Scarecrows - 4/10 - This is supposedly a cult movie and I do seem to remember hearing or reading about it in the past. It's not very good even though the setup and plot synopsis sound pretty interesting. Mercenaries rob a payroll from Camp Pendleton and force a cargo pilot and his daughter to fly them to Mexico. One of the crew double crosses the rest and parachutes into a deserted cornfield with the money. Anyway I don't know how but they end up in Florida (at least that's where it was filmed) but this is a low budget affair that doesn't invite much in the way of speculation. I usually try not to include too many details but since you'd probably be better served simply reading the description and skipping the movie I figured it would be okay. The performances are all-inclusive as far as bush league scenery chewing goes. The supernatural (again, not explained) carnage is pretty respectable though.
Really a horrible movie.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Southbound, 2015, 2nd watch (A)

An anthology movie which, while it doesn't contain any short I'd consider the best I've ever seen, is certainly the most consistently good horror anthology I've seen. Some anime anthologies are overall better. It's a very solid movie where every story is connected by a clear theme, and while it leaves some questions unanswered, it's the kind of questions that add to the depth of the movie by letting the audience fill them and lets the movie be a little more free by not forcing the writers to add in unnecessary details just to tie a perfect bow. That's a long run-on sentence.

The penultimate short is the worst, but it's decent enough still.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Charles wrote:Southbound, 2015, 2nd watch (A)

An anthology movie which, while it doesn't contain any short I'd consider the best I've ever seen, is certainly the most consistently good horror anthology I've seen. Some anime anthologies are overall better. It's a very solid movie where every story is connected by a clear theme, and while it leaves some questions unanswered, it's the kind of questions that add to the depth of the movie by letting the audience fill them and lets the movie be a little more free by not forcing the writers to add in unnecessary details just to tie a perfect bow. That's a long run-on sentence.

The penultimate short is the worst, but it's decent enough still.
I'm surprised by your high rating. I felt that it was okay, but it's something I rarely recommend. I'd put it more at a C+. I liked the dark comedy of the segment where the guy hits the girl with his car, but other than that I found them all kind of lacking. It's a more coherent anthology than you typically get, and it looks good, but for me it just missed the magic.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
A lot of people hated it.

I thought it was fine.
People hated it? It seemed universally loved online.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I'm surprised by your high rating. I felt that it was okay, but it's something I rarely recommend. I'd put it more at a C+. I liked the dark comedy of the segment where the guy hits the girl with his car, but other than that I found them all kind of lacking. It's a more coherent anthology than you typically get, and it looks good, but for me it just missed the magic.
I think the coherence of it is what made it rank so high for me. I'm a big fan of movies that have a solid point and stick to it throughout, like I mentioned after I watch Cloverfield Lane.

Out of curiosity, what did you, and everyone else here, maybe, think of the V/H/S saga? I myself didn't like any of them, but I still plan on seeing the upcoming episode.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Charles wrote:
I think the coherence of it is what made it rank so high for me. I'm a big fan of movies that have a solid point and stick to it throughout, like I mentioned after I watch Cloverfield Lane.

Out of curiosity, what did you, and everyone else here, maybe, think of the V/H/S saga? I myself didn't like any of them, but I still plan on seeing the upcoming episode.
I haven't watched the V/H/S films. Anthologies don't really appeal to me that much. Outside of Trick R Treat and maybe Three . . . Extremes I usually find them more annoying or uneven than enjoyable.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:29 pm

V/H/S/2 has one great segment ("Safe Haven"), two watchable ones ("Slumber Party Alien Abduction" and the wraparound segment "Tape 49"), one conceptually interesting but poorly executed one ("A Ride in the Park") and one downright terrible one ("Phase I Clinical Trials"). It's worth a watch.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Charles wrote:Out of curiosity, what did you, and everyone else here, maybe, think of the V/H/S saga? I myself didn't like any of them, but I still plan on seeing the upcoming episode.
I thought the first one was pretty uneven, and the only segments I thought were memorable were the first and the last ones due to the batshit creativity in them. The other ones seemed like run-of-the-mill examples of their respective sub-genres of horror. Also, the shaky cam was a bit annoying. I liked the second one a lot more as the hits (the zombie and, especially, the cult one) were much more memorable and the misses (the eye transplant and the alien one) weren't as boring to sit through. As for Viral, I thought the magician short was really good as Dante made for an excellent villain with a tragic arc. I thought the parallel dimension one was interesting, but it didn't wow me or develop into anything I found compelling. The skateboarding one sucked though as it felt run-of-the-mill. Viral is my least favorite from the trilogy.

V/H/S - 6/10
V/H/S 2 - 7/10
V/H/S: Viral - 4/10
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Rock wrote:one conceptually interesting but poorly executed one ("A Ride in the Park")
What were your issues with that one?
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 pm

I just found it super repetitive. Strapping a go-pro on a zombie is a novel idea, but it gets old in about 30 seconds thanks to the execution. "Safe Haven", "Slumber Party Alien Abduction" and "Tape 49" at the very least pull some effective visuals out of the found footage format, but "A Ride in the Park" never manages to do that.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I'm surprised by your high rating. I felt that it was okay, but it's something I rarely recommend. I'd put it more at a C+. I liked the dark comedy of the segment where the guy hits the girl with his car, but other than that I found them all kind of lacking. It's a more coherent anthology than you typically get, and it looks good, but for me it just missed the magic.
Agreed.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 am

Charles wrote:Out of curiosity, what did you, and everyone else here, maybe, think of the V/H/S saga? I myself didn't like any of them, but I still plan on seeing the upcoming episode.
VHS - B- - Like others, responded most strongly to "Amateur Night" and "10/31/98." The other three have interesting concepts that don't completely deliver. "The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger" (wow, screw that indulgent title) delivers most successfully of the other three. Overall, there's an interesting idea of women rising up over "bro" type characters (or struggling to), although it's more a motif than any sort of "argument" or theme that builds to something beyond its existence.

VHS 2 - B+ - Less cohesive thematically but has the best segment of all in "Safe Haven," which is so good and precise that it almost bores me to spend time talking about the other three segments (although "Slumber Party" has its moments).

Didn't bother with the third after the critics weighed in.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 am

Sun Don't Shine - 8/10

Finally watched this from Amy Seimetz. The film is too unique to properly catagorize. It says "horror" and "thriller" on various descriptions, but it's really more of a dysfunctional character drama involving a murder, disturbing in more intimate ways than is usually associated with scares and suspense. Unlike many of her mumblecore peers, Seimetz steers closer to the Malick-inspired visual aesthetic of her collaborators Shane Carruth and David Lowery (who edited this film just prior to his debut, Ain't Them Bodies Saints), and makes tremendous use of the unconventional talents of actress Kate Lyn Sheil. Its quiet, elliptical approach may try some people's patience (especially, say, those anticipating a more conventional horror or thriller), but the film is haunting enough to be worth it for those who stick it out. A lovely, lingering picture, like finding a stained polaroid on the side of the road.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:31 am

Game Night - 7.5/10

Since it's so rare when one of these studio wide-release comedies can actually manage to surpass the meager expectations that many of us have for studio wide-release comedies, the instinct is to rate it as a damn near classic. This exhale of relief is even more startling when it comes from the guys behind some of those awful studio wide-release comedies (Horrible Bosses 2, Vacation). I'd pump those brakes a bit. The film is consistently funny and excitingly unpredictable, but it's still pretty average after the relief wears off. It's a fun ride though, so just don't think too much about it.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I haven't watched the V/H/S films. Anthologies don't really appeal to me that much. Outside of Trick R Treat and maybe Three . . . Extremes I usually find them more annoying or uneven than enjoyable.
Is it just horror anthologies you don't like or the concept in general?

Also, you guys' responses made me realize I haven't seen any VHS in a long time. I asked because they have at least one director in common with Southbound. I'll pick them up again for my pre-halloween month watchlist.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:25 am

Charles wrote:
Is it just horror anthologies you don't like or the concept in general?
Generally speaking I feel like anthologies (90% of the ones I watch are horror anthologies) just aren't worth the time. There might be a good segment here or there, but overall it's mostly moving from one underbaked concept to the next.

I think that to like an anthology it either needs to have a strong central theme (which I will grant is an element that Southbound does better than most) OR it needs to have distinct directorial vision across the different pieces (which is where I think Three . . . Extremes has its strength).

I actually tend to watch a lot of them (I've avoided V/H/S largely because found footage is the bane of my cinematic existence), because they make for easy bite-sized viewing while I'm doing grading or other menial chores. Too often I feel as if the quality of writing or an interesting visual style just isn't there.

I do always think it's worth mentioning when an anthology has one section that's really worth seeing. Tales of Halloween was pretty wretched overall, but there were two sequences I thought were pretty great.
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4078
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 am

Speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub, I started a weekly movie night with some friends where I make East Asian food (mostly but not exclusively Japanese) and we watch samurai movies. We're going through the Zatoichi series now, just watched the sixth one tonight. So far the roster has included:

The Tale of Zatoichi - Sapporo ramen
The Tale of Zatoichi Continues - Yaka mein (a local New Orleans dish, of unknown origin but possibly influenced by a now defunct Chinatown)
Zatoichi the Fugitive - Yakitori and korokke and miscellaneous izakaya snacks
New Tale of Zatoichi - Korean BBQ w/ sides
Zatoichi on the Road - Chicken karaage and miso soup
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold - slow cooked Thai chicken

Been a lot of fun so far. We still have 19 more Zatoichi movies to get through, but I have my sights on other movies, including the Lone Wolf and Cub series, some Kurosawa (especially Yojimbo and Sanjuro, since there's a crossover movie with Zatoichi), Lady Snowblood, possibly delving into some wuxia.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:12 am

Macrology wrote:Speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub, I started a weekly movie night with some friends where I make East Asian food (mostly but not exclusively Japanese) and we watch samurai movies. We're going through the Zatoichi series now, just watched the sixth one tonight. So far the roster has included:

The Tale of Zatoichi - Sapporo ramen
The Tale of Zatoichi Continues - Yaka mein (a local New Orleans dish, of unknown origin but possibly influenced by a now defunct Chinatown)
Zatoichi the Fugitive - Yakitori and korokke and miscellaneous izakaya snacks
New Tale of Zatoichi - Korean BBQ w/ sides
Zatoichi on the Road - Chicken karaage and miso soup
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold - slow cooked Thai chicken

Been a lot of fun so far. We still have 19 more Zatoichi movies to get through, but I have my sights on other movies, including the Lone Wolf and Cub series, some Kurosawa (especially Yojimbo and Sanjuro, since there's a crossover movie with Zatoichi), Lady Snowblood, possibly delving into some wuxia.
Wait. You know how to make Yaka Mein? I'm coming to your house Saturday mornings for the rest of my life.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am

Macrology wrote:Speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub, I started a weekly movie night with some friends where I make East Asian food (mostly but not exclusively Japanese) and we watch samurai movies. We're going through the Zatoichi series now, just watched the sixth one tonight. So far the roster has included:

The Tale of Zatoichi - Sapporo ramen
The Tale of Zatoichi Continues - Yaka mein (a local New Orleans dish, of unknown origin but possibly influenced by a now defunct Chinatown)
Zatoichi the Fugitive - Yakitori and korokke and miscellaneous izakaya snacks
New Tale of Zatoichi - Korean BBQ w/ sides
Zatoichi on the Road - Chicken karaage and miso soup
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold - slow cooked Thai chicken

Been a lot of fun so far. We still have 19 more Zatoichi movies to get through, but I have my sights on other movies, including the Lone Wolf and Cub series, some Kurosawa (especially Yojimbo and Sanjuro, since there's a crossover movie with Zatoichi), Lady Snowblood, possibly delving into some wuxia.
Zatoichi operates as a classier brother to Lone Wolf, which is fitting as Shintaro Katsu is the actual brother Tomisaburo Wakayama. Wakayama even appeared as the villain of Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold, which you have sent, while Katsu was a producer of the Lone Wolf series. They also both share a frequent director collaborator in Kenji Misumi, whom Takashi Miike referred to as his favorite Japanese filmmaker that doesn't get much of a following in the US.

I love both franchises a great deal and think that Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Lady Snowblood would be great to go with them. I would also toss in Incident at Blood Pass to wrap up the Mifune/Yojimbo flicks and if you're wanting wuxia, the One Armed Swordsmam also crosses over with Zatoichi late in the franchise. Both it and it's sequel, Return of the One Armed Swordsman are well worth watching and great entry points into Chang Cheh's filmography if you haven't seen any.

Now you've got me feeling like I should finally get around to watching my copies of the Hanzo the Razor series.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 pm

DaMU wrote: Didn't bother with the third after the critics weighed in.
I find that the critic and audience rating for anthologies are even less important than for other movies because they only rate the whole instead of recommending based on the best shorts. I personally still watch badly rated anthologies, but maybe that's just because I love short films and it's not super easy to find them outside of those.


V/H/S, 2012, 2nd watch

Tape 56 (A)
Amateur Night (B)
Second Honeymoon (F)
Tuesday the 17th (D)
The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger, (B)
11/31/98 (B+)

So I still like it about as much as the first time. The biggest problem is the amount of setup it has and how badly it's used. Almost all of it is used to show bro type character being bros. None of them have the most insufferable bro type characters in movie history, but that's big percent of every short dedicated to that. The first one is the most consistently good one because it uses its time the best. It sets up the situation, creates a mystery early and delivers in a pretty solid way. The following skit, however, is almost all tedium with an underwhelming payoff and being that long takes a lot of steam off the rest of the film. Tuesday the 17th I didn't find that compelling because there's a clear feeling that there's no satisfying explanation to it and there's no particular flair there for me to overlook that.

The Sick Thing has the best idea and it's certainly the most disturbing one of the film, so kudos there. 11/31/98 has the best sequence of any of them and that bumps it up to a B+ in my book.

The framing device makes the whole thing just a bit more interesting because it means everything in this movie exists in the same universe. Big fan of anthologies that have that particular kind of link between the shorts.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Macrology wrote:Speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub, I started a weekly movie night with some friends where I make East Asian food (mostly but not exclusively Japanese) and we watch samurai movies.
This sounds amazing.

I think that the Lone Wolf and Cub series would make for great group watching.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Charles wrote:I find that the critic and audience rating for anthologies are even less important than for other movies because they only rate the whole instead of recommending based on the best shorts. I personally still watch badly rated anthologies, but maybe that's just because I love short films and it's not super easy to find them outside of those.
This is fair. It's really too bad there aren't enough distribution avenues for short features.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4078
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Wooley wrote: Wait. You know how to make Yaka Mein? I'm coming to your house Saturday mornings for the rest of my life.
It was my first attempt, so there's room for improvement, but it wasn't bad. I used Big Freedia's recipe.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm about halfway through Perdida, but I have to say that I'm a bit burned out on so many thrillers centering on
sexual abuse of girls/women. Like, I get that it is a common and powerful trauma in the lives of many women. But does EVERY film with female leads have to center on it? And I maybe wouldn't mind if I felt like there were films saying new or interesting things about it, but instead it just seems to be a way to nudge up the ick factor of a crime plot.
.
Post Reply