Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
boojiboyhowdy

Re: Recently Seen

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Wooley wrote:Well, I think if the Finn and Rose segment were excised completely the movie would immediately improve dramatically. Although, honestly, I think you gotta cut Poe's nonsensical hero-to-treason-to-redemption-in-one-day arc too. And Leia's Christopher Reeve impression. Rey remains the star of the show and her arc, Luke's presence, and the bad guy, that stuff was all fine.
I agree with all these suggestions but then I really should see it again to (maybe) get a better feel for just how bad it was. But I can't bring myself to do it. I mean, it's right there on Netflix. It may even be in my queue. Same goes for Rogue One which I mostly remember moving soooooo slowly that I kept checking my watch inside the theater.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote: PS-- And by "Star Wars" I'm of course referring to the first film, because that's the title! A New Hope my rear end! Get off my lawn!
Amen, brother.
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 am

Looks like Ben Affleck is done playing Batman.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-batman ... 202545821/
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:33 am

Shame, I thought he was one of the better elements of the new films.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: I have not. The last Shaw joint I watched was Dirty Ho from Lau Kar Leung. A mild Kung Fu comedy. I enjoyed it but it's lesser Lau that's already faded from my mind in ways most of his films have not. Big fan of Avenging Eagle though.
I think Dirty Ho will be part of the series, so I might get around to that in a few weeks.

Vengeance is the most overtly stylish Shaw Brothers movie I've seen. I'm not as well versed in Chang Cheh's output as you are, but I'd put it above all the ones I've seen except Crippled Avengers.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:09 am

DaMU wrote:Shame, I thought he was one of the better elements of the new films.
So did I. I even felt Cavill was more than adequate even though his character was a victim of shitty writing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:Looks like Ben Affleck is done playing Batman.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-batman ... 202545821/
Wow, we're about to have our SIXTH Dark Knight since 1989. Seems like it used to be a big deal to be cast as Batman or The Joker, now it seems like everybody's gonna get a turn.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:So did I. I even felt Cavill was more than adequate even though his character was a victim of shitty writing.
Truth.
Bad movies with good actors. Damn shame.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:08 am

Ben Affleck sucked, guys.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:10 am

Macrology wrote:Sanjuro - Shumai (Japanese pork dumplings)
Macrology wrote:The Mifune character definitely feels broadly similar, but in the Kurosawa films he is preternaturally competent; that character being at a "low point" seems almost antithetical to who that character is. It's also hard to imagine him forming personal connections with anyone like he does with the woman in this film.
This was my initial problem with the film. I just didn't want to see either of these characters at their low point.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:24 am

I've been reflecting on it a bit lately, and does anyone else think that Mission Impossible: Fallout, while pretty good on the whole, was still hardly The Next Golden Standard In Action Cinema that it's been hyped up as? I mean, I did think it was exciting stuff on the whole, and it certainly had some of the best action scenes/setpieces I've seen from any Hollywood blockbuster in recent memory, but my eyes couldn't help but start to glaze over just a little bit during the plot-ier bits, which were driven by the same kind of shady spy intrigue/gibberish, gadget gimmickery, and inevitable double-crosses we've all seen in these movies a million times already, only made far messier and convoluted than they needed to be, of course, since McQuarrie's the one who's writing it, and the character-centric stuff, while a little better, still didn't make me care that much because it felt like the movie itself didn't care much, so there's not much point to it. At its core, this series has always been about making excuses for Tom Cruise to find new, entertaining ways to almost kill himself for 2 hours, an aspect that Fallout ​does have in spades, but it also dilutes the joy of that by piling too many unnecessary elements on top, so, again, while I did enjoy it pretty well on the whole, I still felt it would've lived up to more of its potential if it had been a simpler, more streamlined experience in the end, IMO.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 am

Wooley wrote: Wow, we're about to have our SIXTH Dark Knight since 1989. Seems like it used to be a big deal to be cast as Batman or The Joker, now it seems like everybody's gonna get a turn.
It's like a bad sports franchise now, with hope springing eternal that next season they'll get things right. They'll get that draft pick. They'll make some moves in free agency. It's the reboot mentality. Fuck it. Start over. We gotta hit pay dirt sooner or later.

I think the DCU is a victim of Nolan's success. The dark, gritty, and (more or less) reality-grounded Batman does not fit in an expanded universe with Amazons, aliens, and Atlanteans. Nolan played that angle out anyway and his last Batman film wasn't all that great.
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm

I didn't find it bad by any stretch, but I suppose I'm still not over Rogue Nation which I enjoyed much better.

Anyways...

310 to Yuma (1957) - 9/10
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm

Blood and Black Lace – 7.5/10 – I remember first watching this years and years ago when I was just a kid. It stuck with me because of what, at the time, seemed like beyond the pale violence. Oh and the half-dressed women of course. I was a kid. But having watched it again I can say that originally seeing it in B&W and now in vibrant color is like night and day. From the opening credits the director, Mario Bava, uses splashy, lurid colors in very graphic and effective ways. His shots are stylish and well set up. There are plenty of tracking shots that, because of budget constraints, I found out were filmed using a child’s wagon while his “crane” shots used a homemade seesaw. The jazzy, bossa nova-ish main theme makes you crave a martini and cheese fondue. This being an Italian production there were the usual anomalies mostly involving the language difference. For some reason Cameron Mitchell’s dialogue was dubbed while some of the Italian actors appeared to be naturally speaking English. Then there’s a scene where the masked killer, so as not to reveal himself, writes an obviously German phrase down in a little notebook. The killer is a Rorschach looking guy down to the trenchcoat, fedora and mask. There’s also a nervous Nellie type “epileptic” that eventually spazzes out in hilarious fashion, another nervous type hophead and a weasel faced aristocrat along with a bunch of interchangeable models/murder victims. Bodies pile up, clothes come off and interest is sustained. What more could you ask?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:16 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:Blood and Black Lace – 7.5/10 – I remember first watching this years and years ago when I was just a kid. It stuck with me because of what, at the time, seemed like beyond the pale violence. Oh and the half-dressed women of course. I was a kid. But having watched it again I can say that originally seeing it in B&W and now in vibrant color is like night and day. From the opening credits the director, Mario Bava, uses splashy, lurid colors in very graphic and effective ways. His shots are stylish and well set up. There are plenty of tracking shots that, because of budget constraints, I found out were filmed using a child’s wagon while his “crane” shots used a homemade seesaw. The jazzy, bossa nova-ish main theme makes you crave a martini and cheese fondue. This being an Italian production there were the usual anomalies mostly involving the language difference. For some reason Cameron Mitchell’s dialogue was dubbed while some of the Italian actors appeared to be naturally speaking English. Then there’s a scene where the masked killer, so as not to reveal himself, writes an obviously German phrase down in a little notebook. The killer is a Rorschach looking guy down to the trenchcoat, fedora and mask. There’s also a nervous Nellie type “epileptic” that eventually spazzes out in hilarious fashion, another nervous type hophead and a weasel faced aristocrat along with a bunch of interchangeable models/murder victims. Bodies pile up, clothes come off and interest is sustained. What more could you ask?
One of my favorite gialli. This and Hatchet for the Honeymood are my favorite from Bava in that genre. They're so colorful and feel so subversive while establishing the norms that would define the genre and inspire the slasher. Virtually anything that could be used as a criticism (convoluted plotting, hammy acting, bad dubbing) is all a part of the charm. It's pretty close to perfect in my eyes.

The only other gialli that give it competition are Deep Red, Tenebrae, Torso, Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Who Saw Her Die. I need to rewatch them all to decide which one truly reigns supreme.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:What more could you ask?
Apparently about 2 and a half points.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:56 am

Play Misty for Me - 8/10

Bitches be crazy.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 am

Abducted in Plain Sight is a documentary on Netflix about a man who, in the mid-70s, went to extraordinary lengths of manipulation to sexually prey on a twelve year old girl.

The story in this film is so bonkers, that it feels like there is a major revelation every five minutes. Jan, the woman who survived the kidnapping, is a compelling interview subject. She explains so well the way that her own emotions were manipulated and the deep fear and isolation that this man was able to instill in her.

I wrote over in the horror thread that this is a great example of how victims (especially children/teens) can appear to be complicit in their own abuse. The only person who was an adult at the time who comes across well is the FBI agent who worked the case for several years, and even he baffled me when he was like "We'd never heard of a 'pedophile' before!".

The film doesn't venture that deeply into the influence that the religious community (the major players are all LDS churchgoers) plays a role in what happened, but having read a book called Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell about a man who committed a shocking number of sex crimes against adults and children under his care, it seems to me that Mormon communities are especially disposed to facilitating isolation and willingness to brush stuff aside because it "isn't nice to talk about."

Mostly, if you are like me, this movie will blow your mind and leave you infuriated. Like, about every ten minutes some new detail would totally set me off. The man at the center of the crimes is a monster, to be sure, but it's really unsettling to watch so many people (including the victim herself) fall all over themselves to absolve everyone else of any guilt.

The documentary is well made, with compelling use of real audio recordings, photos, and blunt testimonials from the many interviewees. I think it's important viewing.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:02 am

Vice was probably a little better than the Big Short. It's still a tad too smug for how superficial it's insights are but they work well as very watchable showcases of satirical modern history that most Americans do seem to ignore, so I can't deny the appeal and value in these films. It's also almost certain that McKay will try to do a Trump film. It's just a matter of whether he, Stone or Iannucci get there first.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:It's just a matter of whether he, Stone or Iannucci get there first.
Urgh. Stone's film is likely to be a hagiography at this point.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:57 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Vice was probably a little better than the Big Short. It's still a tad too smug for how superficial it's insights are but they work well as very watchable showcases of satirical modern history that most Americans do seem to ignore, so I can't deny the appeal and value in these films. It's also almost certain that McKay will try to do a Trump film. It's just a matter of whether he, Stone or Iannucci get there first.
This intrigues me as I really thought The Big Short was an excellent surprise and I have interest in the subject-matter of Vice but was run off by some poor to scathing reviews.
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Wow, could this actually turn out to be a legitimately entertaining mismatched buddy movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lxu75r3-kI

EDIT: Hmmm, watched it again. Could go either way.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 pm

I have zero interest in the F&F franchise (I gave up on the first one after 20 minutes) but this looks surprisingly fun. Yet I'm also worried all the best stuff is already in that trailer.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Slentert wrote:I have zero interest in the F&F franchise (I gave up on the first one after 20 minutes) but this looks surprisingly fun. Yet I'm also worried all the best stuff is already in that trailer.
I have little to no interest for the racing/car subculture, so I found the first one pretty dull. Never bothered with the first two sequels, cause they seemed to be weaker versions of the same crap. However, I have to agree with most critics and people that the shift the series took after that was extremely positive. I enjoyed the next four parts to varying degrees, with Fast Five being very, very good. I saw it mostly because it was partly filmed here, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

I still haven't seen Fate of the Furious, probably because I think they ended up in such a good note that I didn't feel like bothering with.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Cars and racing are such a snoozefest for me. I can occasionally appreciate car-based stuntwork as a piece of a larger action film, but the idea of a whole movie about racing is such a turn-off.

Senna is probably the only car-centric film I've really enjoyed all the way through.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 am

You patricians, with your highfalutin tastes thinking Fast and the Furious has anything beyond the shallowest facade of having to do with racing! Meet the cinema of your people: ripped bodies, fast cars, espionage/heist plots haphazardly slapped together like action figures in the hands of an excited toddler and family. It's about family.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 am

Exactly. The thing is that the last films have more to do with heists and, yes, all kinds of absurd stunts (not only car-oriented), than it has to do with car racing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 am

Thief wrote:Exactly. The thing is that the last films have more to do with heists and, yes, all kinds of absurd stunts (not only car-oriented), than it has to do with car racing.
I get the impression that the F&F films are dumb fun, just not my kind of dumb fun.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I get the impression that the F&F films are dumb fun, just not my kind of dumb fun.
The Rock flexes a cast off his arm so he can go fight. That is all I have to say on that matter.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:33 am

Eighth Grade - 9/10

Along with Lady Bird, this look at millennial girlhood is a breath of fresh air from the typically insipid Disney Channel-esque candy-glitter of most recent youth fare. I think that I may prefer this one to Lady Bird because it touches on a lot of broader influences of social media and ironic paeans to "be yourself" in such a performative environment. Whereas Lady Bird always seemed to be assured as a rara avis, EG's Kayla is less eccentric, less assured of her individuality, less snobby about her maturity. The tension between being yourself and social belonging is more pronounced here, and her insecurities are much more on the surface. Both films still deal with class dynamics and taking people (ie, parents) for granted. 8th Grade is a hormonal hellhole for most of us, and I realized how grateful I am that my idle insights from that age have not been preserved on Youtube.

I'm not convinced that this film didn't deserve to win all of the awards this year. The Academy fucked up by choosing to not even nominate it for a single damn thing.

Molly's Game - 8/10

Aaron Sorkin's directoral debut is like similar debuts from writers, in that it comes off without much of a visual identity, contrived from a variety of better filmmakers - a little Soderbergh here, a dash of Bennett Miller there - but rarely more than servicably staged. Sorkin's true gift elevates all of this, as the seedy story of illicit gambling among the famous and powerful is irresistably intriguing and Sorkin tells it very well. Most of it. The subplot dealing with Molly's more Freudian issues, a little less so. And Sorkin is also very comfortable with his actors, getting decent work from a deep bench of character actors. Idris Elba shows off a Clooney-esque professional charm and Jessica Chastain is pure sharp sultry ice as the emotionally stunted but precisely controlled broker.

As a heads-up for those who may be unduly distracted: Sorkin appreciates the female chest and lavishes a great deal of attention to Chastain's immaculate clavicle and sternum. I can't complain and won't. I don't find it to be necessarily objectifying. Whether or not this undermines the film's attitude about empowerment in a man's world or whether it sarcastically accentuates the, um, leverage that women need to achieve this empowerment, is up to the viewer to decide for themselves.

Oh, and the real life "player X" is quite clearly Toby Maguire, in case you needed a new reason to hate the putz.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:33 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:It's like a bad sports franchise now, with hope springing eternal that next season they'll get things right. They'll get that draft pick. They'll make some moves in free agency. It's the reboot mentality. Fuck it. Start over. We gotta hit pay dirt sooner or later.

I think the DCU is a victim of Nolan's success. The dark, gritty, and (more or less) reality-grounded Batman does not fit in an expanded universe with Amazons, aliens, and Atlanteans. Nolan played that angle out anyway and his last Batman film wasn't all that great.
Well, while I did enjoy The Dark Knight Rises (not as much as its predecessor, but still), like a lot of people, I agree with you that the DCU needs serious re-working, but I don't think the main problem with it so far has been aping Nolan (the only film that really had a major problem with that was Man Of Steel, IMO), but, with the shaky foundations that the universe was built on, and the confused studio reactions to that; I mean, I get that WB got lucky in taking a chance on Nolan (whose biggest project prior to Begins had been a mere mid-budget potboiler), and they got an overall solid trilogy out of him in return (and one film, at least, where he was truly firing on all cylinders), so I respect their desire to use another big-budget "auteur" director to put a more distinctive spin on their cinematic 'verse, in order to differentiate themselves from the generally less personal-feeling, more producer-driven MCU, but who thought Zack Snyder was the man for the job? I mean, yeah, he has a unique cinematic voice, but that doesn't automatically make him a good director, and he's been an inconsistent storyteller at best over the course of his career (and he was just coming off of the disaster that was Sucker Punch, so that adds extra "lolwut" to their decision). And nothing about him indicted he would be anything but a poor fit to direct a movie about Superman, one of the most inherently hopeful superheroes ever to pervade the public consciousness, and indeed, he was just as bad a choice for Man Of Steel as you'd expect, and mix his often incoherent storytelling skill in with the studio's desire to cram in all the unnecessary characters and desperate universe-building into BvS, and their belief that Snyder would somehow be able to make it work (when he couldn't even make a relatively straight translation from comic-to-screen work well), and the rest is history.

So from there, it's not surprising what happened next, whether it be WB losing faith in letting David Ayer's original vision for Suicide Squad be as it was, and trying to squish so many different, competing edits for the film together (which combined with the comic relief-adding reshoots to make the film as big a mess as it is), or kicking Snyder off of Justice League when it became apparent he was still doing the same old ultra-grim/dour thing he always does, and bringing in Whedon for the reshoots in order to make it shameless, lighthearted MCU-wannabe in tone, so we not only ended up with none of Snyder's problematic-but-admirable sense of ambition, but almost no distinctive personality to the final product, period. And, while some of the recent solo entries in the DCverse have been better, I still don't think they've lived up to their potential yet, as Wonder Woman was too much of a standard origin story on the whole, and mostly just seemed to coast on the novelty of having a female superhero starring, and Aquaman, while surprisingly ambitious on an aesthetic level (though that wasn't always to the film's benefit), it still almost completely just went through the typical blockbuster motions when it came to its incredibly predictable story beats. Don't get me wrong, I'm no huge Marvel fan (though I definitely enjoy some of their stuff), but compared to where DC is at right now...? Fuggetaboutit.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 am

Takoma1 wrote:Cars and racing are such a snoozefest for me. I can occasionally appreciate car-based stuntwork as a piece of a larger action film, but the idea of a whole movie about racing is such a turn-off.

Senna is probably the only car-centric film I've really enjoyed all the way through.
Have you seen Grand Prix? It's one of those overblown '60s event movies with more stars than good characters or subplots, but it has two really strong performances (Yves Montand and Jessica Walter - yes, that Jessica Walter) and the experimental racing footage (Saul Bass was co-DP) is amazing. I'm not remotely interested in car culture or racing, but found this one really involving.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: The Rock flexes a cast off his arm so he can go fight. That is all I have to say on that matter.
I guess my problem is that the filmmaking never matches the cartoon lunacy. The latest one had a swarm of self-driving cars suicidally jumping off the top of a building, but it's all filmed in about the blandest way possible.

Also, for a franchise that's frequently lauded for its diversity, I find it odd that the only competent characters in the crew are white. What about the Rock, you say? Well, he's only in the team because he threatened to send them all to prison. Yes, I'm calling these movies racist.
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:56 am

Also, I'm fine with Hobbs & Shaw taking out the only good parts of the franchise, so Vin Diesel's career can quietly die. Is there an action star with less charisma and likability?
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:47 am

Rock wrote: I guess my problem is that the filmmaking never matches the cartoon lunacy. The latest one had a swarm of self-driving cars suicidally jumping off the top of a building, but it's all filmed in about the blandest way possible.

Also, for a franchise that's frequently lauded for its diversity, I find it odd that the only competent characters in the crew are white. What about the Rock, you say? Well, he's only in the team because he threatened to send them all to prison. Yes, I'm calling these movies racist.
Yeah, man. It's a shit series. I'd rather watch a Transformer film. I don't know what I'm doing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Rock wrote: Have you seen Grand Prix? It's one of those overblown '60s event movies with more stars than good characters or subplots, but it has two really strong performances (Yves Montand and Jessica Walter - yes, that Jessica Walter) and the experimental racing footage (Saul Bass was co-DP) is amazing. I'm not remotely interested in car culture or racing, but found this one really involving.
I haven't but I'll throw it on my Netflix queue.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Rock wrote: Also, for a franchise that's frequently lauded for its diversity, I find it odd that the only competent characters in the crew are white. What about the Rock, you say? Well, he's only in the team because he threatened to send them all to prison. Yes, I'm calling these movies racist.
Wait, what? :? Which one of the core cast members is white, other than Paul Walker and maybe Jordana Brewster (who IRL is half-Brazilian? Vin Diesel identifies as POC, you have two black guys (Ludacris, Tyrese), an Asian (Han), a Latina (Letty). Other supporting characters aside of The Rock include an Israeli (Gisele), a Spaniard playing a Brazilian (Elsa), a black girl (Ramsey), and a Brit (Shaw). Two former cast members (Tego and Rico) were Puerto Rican. So I reeeeally don't see how you can argue against its diversity.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Rock wrote: Is there an action star with less charisma and likability?

"Hold my beer."

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Thief wrote:
Wait, what? :? Which one of the core cast members is white, other than Paul Walker and maybe Jordana Brewster (who IRL is half-Brazilian? Vin Diesel identifies as POC, you have two black guys (Ludacris, Tyrese), an Asian (Han), a Latina (Letty). Other supporting characters aside of The Rock include an Israeli (Gisele), a Spaniard playing a Brazilian (Elsa), a black girl (Ramsey), and a Brit (Shaw). Two former cast members (Tego and Rico) were Puerto Rican. So I reeeeally don't see how you can argue against its diversity.

And Gal Godot is Israeli.

Leave Rock alone - he's clearly drunk.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Death Proof wrote:
And Gal Godot is Israeli.
What I said...
Thief wrote:
Gisele is the name of the character.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Some recent viewing:

Black Rain

The 1989 Imamura film about Hiroshima fallout, not the 1989 Ridley Scott film that also has a subplot about nuclear fallout.
This one kind of surprised me because it diverges from Imamura's earlier work quite a bit. Many of his films have a curious mix of detachment and manic energy, like a neutral observer watching something bizarre unfold. This one veers closer to traditional melodrama, though it's melodrama of the highest order: restrained, thoughtful, never sentimental, achieving the everyday rhythms and quiet despair of an Ozu film, albeit one with heightened stakes. With its black and white photography and traditional staging, it feels like a film made 30 years earlier, and one senses that Imamura drew deeply from his apprenticeship under Ozu to make this film.
Devastating, and largely because the characters regard their fates with such casual resignation.

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty

The perfect film to watch after the recent death of Mekas because it so resolutely affirms his having lived. As Oxnard said in the Obituaries thread, it's a warm and intimate film, and I'd add that it's more than a little melancholy as well, even disregarding his death. It seems to pile up all the beautiful fragments of life as a consolation for losing them to the past. Andrew Chan at Reverse Shot put it well, saying, "By the end of As I Was Moving Ahead…, we understand its five-hour runtime not so much as a warehouse for Mekas’s memories but as a bittersweet attempt to make the most beautiful of them burn in the eye just a little while longer."
An utterly unique film, even for the avant-garde, for how radically it avoids clever structural and thematic motifs. Mekas is content to let these images simply exist. As he says in the film, he is not a filmmaker, he is just a filmer. . . and while that comment proves wry and disingenuous (the film is masterfully edited), it does feel incredibly pure, just an outpouring of moments, memories, emotions, images. You barely even experience the film, you marinate in it, absorbing his fragmentary stream of memories as though they were your own.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Death Proof wrote:

"Hold my beer."
Seagal is an untalented asshole now, but he's way more magnetic in his earlier movies than Diesel has ever been.
____
Blog!
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 pm

Macrology wrote:This one veers closer to traditional melodrama, though it's melodrama of the highest order: restrained, thoughtful, never sentimental...
That's exactly how I felt, too. Masterful!

That Mekas sounds lovely, but 5 hours?! Maybe after I finish the 8 hour Fassbinder.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Thief wrote:
What I said...

Gisele is the name of the character.

Oh

Well, your face.

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Rock wrote: Seagal is an untalented asshole now, but he's way more magnetic in his earlier movies than Diesel has ever been.

Yeah, Rock's definitely drunk.

Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:That's exactly how I felt, too. Masterful!

That Mekas sounds lovely, but 5 hours?! Maybe after I finish the 8 hour Fassbinder.
The Mekas is divided into twelve 20-30 minute chapters, if you don't feel like swallowing it all in one bite. While I think it benefits from a duration viewing -- that marinating effect I mentioned -- you could easily watch it episodically. I've had the film on my computer for several years and Mekas had to die before I finally worked up the resolve to watch it.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Thief wrote:
Ok, I didn't realize Vin Diesel was a POC, but how many of those characters are actually competent? Most of them hang around this super gang of fast driving criminals for reasons vaguely related to "family" while contributing little useful to any of their schemes. Tyrese in the last one spent the whole movie pitching one terrible idea after another and getting his ass saved by somebody else.
____
Blog!
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Macrology wrote:The Mekas is divided into twelve 20-30 minute chapters, if you don't feel like swallowing it all in one bite. While I think it benefits from a duration viewing -- that marinating effect I mentioned -- you could easily watch it episodically.
Oh, thanks!
I've had the film on my computer for several years and Mekas had to die before I finally worked up the resolve to watch it.
We all do this, though. I only watched all the Tony Scott movies when I heard he died. :(
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Absentia, 2011, 2nd watch (B)

The plot between the sisters and the detective are kinds half-baked and not that great, but the movie is carried well enough by its concept of a very peculiar type of disappearance in a tunnel somewhere in California.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Fyre (Netflix) was an interesting enough documentary about the kind of uniquely modern kind of train wreck social media can facilitate. However, I don't see how anyone's alarms didn't go off when Ja Rule was somehow the face of the thing. In 2017. Ja Rule.