Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Jinnistan wrote: I also hope it takes the Screenplay nom. In terms of brand new words, I can't figure out if I prefer "vajuju" or "cuntstruck".
I think when you add the "ninety-six year old French whore's" back to vajuju, it gets the age.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 am

The Wife was a wonderful surprise.

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/the-wife-2017/
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 am

RBG was a solid, if straightforward, documentary that succeeded in making me love it's subject to a degree I don't normally reserve for public figures.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15541
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Recently Seen

Post by LEAVES » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:RBG was a solid, if straightforward, documentary that succeeded in making me love it's subject to a degree I don't normally reserve for public figures.
Just wait until you see BMK.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:30 am

LEAVES wrote:Just wait until you see BMK.
I do like beer now that you mention it... And it's only one letter off from BTK...
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Edge of Seventeen (which is currently on Netflix) was really good. A teen girl's life goes haywire when her best (and only) friend starts dating her much more good looking, popular older brother. As her relationships (with her mother, her brother, her friend, etc) deconstruct, she seems headed toward disaster. A relationship with a sympathetic, straight-shooting teacher (Woody Harrelson) provides a much needed lifeline.

In terms of teen films, I'm a big fan of the recent spate of them that don't feel the need to bring in one-dimensional evil cheerleaders or date rapists to generate conflict and develop their characters. Nadine is miserable because she hates how she looks and she can't seem to click with most of her peers in a meaningful way. When the two voices that boost her up (her father, who dies in the first ten minutes, and her best friend) are gone, it becomes clear just how precarious her stability was. The film allows us to see how Nadine takes her best friend's actions as a betrayal, while also showing that there's nothing vindictive or particularly selfish in the behavior of the best friend or her brother.

Just all around I thought this one was pretty great.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Takoma1 wrote:Edge of Seventeen (which is currently on Netflix) was really good. A teen girl's life goes haywire when her best (and only) friend starts dating her much more good looking, popular older brother. As her relationships (with her mother, her brother, her friend, etc) deconstruct, she seems headed toward disaster. A relationship with a sympathetic, straight-shooting teacher (Woody Harrelson) provides a much needed lifeline.

In terms of teen films, I'm a big fan of the recent spate of them that don't feel the need to bring in one-dimensional evil cheerleaders or date rapists to generate conflict and develop their characters. Nadine is miserable because she hates how she looks and she can't seem to click with most of her peers in a meaningful way. When the two voices that boost her up (her father, who dies in the first ten minutes, and her best friend) are gone, it becomes clear just how precarious her stability was. The film allows us to see how Nadine takes her best friend's actions as a betrayal, while also showing that there's nothing vindictive or particularly selfish in the behavior of the best friend or her brother.

Just all around I thought this one was pretty great.
Agree with all of that and I thought it was genuinely funny as well. Steinfeld and Harrelson are great together.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Agree with all of that and I thought it was genuinely funny as well. Steinfeld and Harrelson are great together.
When Harrelson was reading her text message I was dying laughing.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1474
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 am

Aquaman - 8/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 am

Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.
User avatar
topherH
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by topherH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 am

Life of Brian - 9.5/10

This was good.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.
Damn.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1474
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:28 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.

Friend of mine is taking me for my birthday.

But I have zero expectations for it.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

It's surprising how many big films are coming out and just... bombing. Mortal Engines, Bumblebee, The Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Alita, and why not? Solo? It's like you can't even tell what's going to make a film tank or not. I mean, some you could see they would stink from a mile (Mortal Engines?), but I've read ok/solid review for Alita, and yet it's not doing good. Bumblebee was pretty well received by critics and some audience, it had some staying power in the box office, and still it didn't leave a mark.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Thief wrote:It's surprising how many big films are coming out and just... bombing. Mortal Engines, Bumblebee, The Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Alita, and why not? Solo? It's like you can't even tell what's going to make a film tank or not. I mean, some you could see they would stink from a mile (Mortal Engines?), but I've read ok/solid review for Alita, and yet it's not doing good. Bumblebee was pretty well received by critics and some audience, it had some staying power in the box office, and still it didn't leave a mark.
I feel like Blade Runner 2049 and Ghost In The Shell set a pretty good barometer that people just aren't into stylized Science-Fiction right now. Probably some others, too. I had some interest in the film because of the cast and because I do like stylized Science-Fiction, but the problem is that if you're going to spend the budget to make something like that, you probably have to make it very mainstream to break even. And Alita did not look mainstream to me, had a little more of that independent-director vibe. Take Del Toro. His movies don't really make money, not in the sense that any blockbuster does. He has, what, one movie that broke a hundred million in his whole career (and even that one just barely)?
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 15792
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Alita is going strong in the Asian markets it opened in, particularly Korea - It will struggle to make 100 million domestic but overseas we're looking at a hit, especially considering the regions more familiar with the manga. My prediction is 500+ mil world, 100 mil domestic.

Have you read the manga, MKS? Say more things about it, I'm seeing it tomorrow
User avatar
Slentert
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Slentert » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Wooley wrote:Take Del Toro. His movies don't really make money, not in the sense that any blockbuster does. He has, what, one movie that broke a hundred million in his whole career (and even that one just barely)?
I don't want to be that guy, but he had three (Pacific Rim, The Shape of Water, Blade II) and the first Hellboy almost made that (99,3 million).
Otherwise, I think most people really don't care about science fiction blockbusters these days, unless you are talking about superheroes or Star Wars, and even that's not a guarantee (see Solo).
User avatar
Rumpled
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rumpled » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Jinnistan wrote: I also hope it takes the Screenplay nom. In terms of brand new words, I can't figure out if I prefer "vajuju" or "cuntstruck".
That one did make me giggle :P
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 pm

The Nameless One wrote:Alita is going strong in the Asian markets it opened in, particularly Korea - It will struggle to make 100 million domestic but overseas we're looking at a hit, especially considering the regions more familiar with the manga. My prediction is 500+ mil world, 100 mil domestic.

Have you read the manga, MKS? Say more things about it, I'm seeing it tomorrow
I have not read the manga yet. I hear that there are some differences but that the manga doesn't feature her with disproportionate eyes to others and that it goes absolutely bananas with it's sequel story (though maybe I'm confusing that with another manga.

Here were some expanded thoughts on it:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/alita-battle-angel/

Trying to avoid dipping into spoiler territory.
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 15792
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Here were some expanded thoughts on it:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/alita-battle-angel/

Trying to avoid dipping into spoiler territory.
Cheers! I highly recommend the manga, I can't put it elegantly to words but it's some of the most vibrant action ever in manga or comic. Having that rollerball stuff translated into a movie has been a wish of mine so I'm rooting for this movie to get a sequel... shame about the ending. Based on the footage I've seen it seems like it doesn't compromise the story at all, I recognize the beats. I'll return with impressions tomorrow
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:the manga doesn't feature her with disproportionate eyes to others
Wat

Why would they do that then

They freak me out
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 am

Slentert wrote: I don't want to be that guy, but he had three (Pacific Rim, The Shape of Water, Blade II) and the first Hellboy almost made that (99,3 million).
Otherwise, I think most people really don't care about science fiction blockbusters these days, unless you are talking about superheroes or Star Wars, and even that's not a guarantee (see Solo).
Sorry, I'm talking about Domestic Gross, which is how these things were considered for U.S-produced movies until the last couple of years (nobody cared what The Dark Knight or Titanic was making overseas when we were tracking if the former could overtake the latter, it was Domestic Gross everyone was following), I should have been clear about that. When we say, for example, Black Panther had a $220M opening, we aren't even considering anything from any other country, despite DC's clever recent ploys to change that to help their cause. Anyway, domestic gross, only Pacific Rim broke even $100M, by one million dollars. Outside of that, he has one film that even broke $80M U.S. Obviously not all of his films were produced in the U.S. system, but those that weren't didn't even come close so are not really relevant.
And it certainly looks like Star Wars has taken a bit of a hit, but the second-to-most-recent film still made a hefty $620M.
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 am

Wooley wrote: And it certainly looks like Star Wars has taken a bit of a hit, but the second-to-most-recent film still made a hefty $620M.
Yeah, the Solo case has many other variables to consider. First, I don't think many people were clamoring for a prequel to one of their favorite characters in film history (kinda like they're not clamoring for a prequel to Die Hard or 24 now?). Then there's the drama behind-the-scenes, which I'm sure hindered the box office potential of the film. I might add a bit of Star Wars fatigue to the equation, but I really don't think it would factor in much if the other two weren't present.

I do know that the only three films I've seen in theaters in the last 3-4 years have been The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi, and I still haven't cared enough to watch Solo.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 am

Thief wrote:
Yeah, the Solo case has many other variables to consider. First, I don't think many people were clamoring for a prequel to one of their favorite characters in film history (kinda like they're not clamoring for a prequel to Die Hard or 24 now?). Then there's the drama behind-the-scenes, which I'm sure hindered the box office potential of the film. I might add a bit of Star Wars fatigue to the equation, but I really don't think it would factor in much if the other two weren't present.

I do know that the only three films I've seen in theaters in the last 3-4 years have been The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi, and I still haven't cared enough to watch Solo.
Well, I agree with you. I liked The Force Awakens but I thought Rogue One and The Last Jedi were crap so I'm not seeing another Star Wars movie in the theater unless people whose opinions I strongly trust tell me it's really good.
Melvin Butterworth
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:24 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.
Out latest Manic Pixie Dream Warrior is a flat offering? Even with those gigantic Disney/Anime eyes?
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Out latest Manic Pixie Dream Warrior is a flat offering? Even with those gigantic Disney/Anime eyes?
What's worse, the sequel is about a supreme court justice:
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 15792
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Out latest Manic Pixie Dream Warrior is a flat offering? Even with those gigantic Disney/Anime eyes?
You are such an incel
Melvin Butterworth
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 pm

The Nameless One wrote:You are such an incel
Hey Nameless.

Glad to see you're back to posting.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 am

The Hills Run Red has its fair share of shooting and most of it's well done so it should be reasonably diverting for fans of westerns, spaghetti or otherwise, but without the stylishness of Leone or the B-movie brute force of Django, it's a hard sell to anyone outside that group. It would help if the movie had a memorable presence outside of Henry Silva's villain, and one would think the dub voice actor for the female lead could at least manage a consistent southern accent. (The actress also looks like a cross between Stefania Sandrelli and the actress from Disco Dancer, which was bugging the hell out of me until I finally placed the resemblance.)
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing. All of this oddness is effective in making you wonder what the hell Joe has got himself into, but it contrasts so much with Biehn's and James Coburn's relatively straight performances as Joe's uncle and co-conspirator that it makes the movie very tonally inconsistent. It's a sensation not far off from biting into a chocolate bar that you didn't know had chili peppers in it: while chocolate and chili actually go pretty well together, you're going to think about the unexpected ingredient for the rest of the day. The movie ends up being a mildly amusing rumination on the hollowness of the con life, but again, what you'll most likely ruminate on when it's over is "what the hell did I just watch?"
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
The Nameless One
Posts: 15792
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.
Well... Battle Angel: Alita was good, but I understand your complaints. There's some important connective tissue missing from the script, particularly near the ending (which I was largely okay with). What I did get was a near-perfect cinematic translation of the first few volumes of the manga, reducing the episodic nature of the story and weaving all of the respective subplots together in impressive form. It was just about as good a Battle Angel Alita movie as it could be, Alita herself being a highlight... they captured her character so well. I came to appreciate the eyes as it went along, there were moments in the action where her eyes need to be that huge and expressive, there's a lot being calculated in that brain of hers and it shows. There was a moment after her first fight where her eyes and head are darting around in a fit of hyper-awareness and it was the most impressive moment of CGI performance I have ever seen. The Kansas bar brawl was the highlight of the film for me, Zapan was a highlight character in general (pretty boy with the sword). I appreciate that they didn't skimp on the story's savagery, particularly with Hugo near the end. It's like... PG-15. Good use of a solitary "fuck"

8/10, give or take 2 points given your investment in the story. I can understand a 6. Anything below that is egregious critique, there's a lot of good here. We're very lucky to have this movie in as good of shape as it is
User avatar
John Dumbear
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm
Location: Out in God's country

Re: Recently Seen

Post by John Dumbear » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Chuck- '16

Good film about the life of Chuck Wepner, the nobody that went 15 with Ali. I knew a lot about his life but this film did fill in the blanks for me. Good cast that all performed well within their roles.

!8/10
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 am

The Nameless One wrote:Well... Battle Angel: Alita was good, but I understand your complaints. There's some important connective tissue missing from the script, particularly near the ending (which I was largely okay with). What I did get was a near-perfect cinematic translation of the first few volumes of the manga, reducing the episodic nature of the story and weaving all of the respective subplots together in impressive form. It was just about as good a Battle Angel Alita movie as it could be, Alita herself being a highlight... they captured her character so well. I came to appreciate the eyes as it went along, there were moments in the action where her eyes need to be that huge and expressive, there's a lot being calculated in that brain of hers and it shows. There was a moment after her first fight where her eyes and head are darting around in a fit of hyper-awareness and it was the most impressive moment of CGI performance I have ever seen. The Kansas bar brawl was the highlight of the film for me, Zapan was a highlight character in general (pretty boy with the sword). I appreciate that they didn't skimp on the story's savagery, particularly with Hugo near the end. It's like... PG-15. Good use of a solitary "fuck"

8/10, give or take 2 points given your investment in the story. I can understand a 6. Anything below that is egregious critique, there's a lot of good here. We're very lucky to have this movie in as good of shape as it is
I wanted to like the film far more than I did and I'm almost happy to see people disagree because it's the kind of film I want to succeed. I even hold hope that should I be more acquainted with the source I would like it more but unlike Sin City, which was similarly my introduction to that comic book world, it just didn't work for me as a film. I suspected that many of the questionable elements and slapdash pacing were due to cramming multiple manga plots into one film but they just didn't go down smooth. I imagine in the manga, the Hugo plots towards the end are more spaced out but putting those moments virtually back to back (with THAT actor trying to sell the drama) just made it inadvertently comical. The more I think about it, the more I think Hugo was tied to the worst, most damning things in the entire film.

And while i as fine with Ed Skrein's performance, I just can't get behind things that try to tell me that guy is pretty. He was used best in If Beale Street Could Talk, where his asymmetrical, ghoulish features gave proper creepiness to his racist cop.

I'll probably pick up the Blu for dirt cheap in the hopes of liking it more in the future. It's possible I was in a mood but no one I saw it with (wife, best friend, sister in law) enjoyed it much.

But we also thought Salazar was bad and she's getting near unanimous praise so must be the crazy pills.

On a separate note, the wife and I chose Harold and Maude as our annual Valentine's day watch. I absolutely loved it. It's just a perfect romantic comedy, coming of age flick. I believe I even prefer it to the Graduate.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:46 am

Torgo wrote:Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing. All of this oddness is effective in making you wonder what the hell Joe has got himself into, but it contrasts so much with Biehn's and James Coburn's relatively straight performances as Joe's uncle and co-conspirator that it makes the movie very tonally inconsistent. It's a sensation not far off from biting into a chocolate bar that you didn't know had chili peppers in it: while chocolate and chili actually go pretty well together, you're going to think about the unexpected ingredient for the rest of the day. The movie ends up being a mildly amusing rumination on the hollowness of the con life, but again, what you'll most likely ruminate on when it's over is "what the hell did I just watch?"
Cage goes so far over the top that I'm willing to forgive the movie's other weaknesses, at least while he's on screen.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25044
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 am

Torgo wrote:Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing.
For anyone who's never seen it, behold one of the Cagiest freakouts ever...

User avatar
Rumpled
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rumpled » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am

"The f**king hangers" :D
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Rock wrote: Cage goes so far over the top that I'm willing to forgive the movie's other weaknesses, at least while he's on screen.
Charlie Sheen (what game were they playing, anyway?) and Angus Scrimm sort of make up for Cage's absence, but there really is no substitute for his brand of strangeness.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Torgo wrote:Charlie Sheen (what game were they playing, anyway?)
Snooker?
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Jinnistan wrote: Snooker?
I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play:

Image

Also, what if Joe had won the game? Would he still have got to do business with Cut Man?
David Lynch's body of work has nothing on Deadfall.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Torgo wrote: I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play
There are a number of variations. I don't know, I'm not an expert. I'm a simple 8 and 9 ball man, myself.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Torgo wrote: I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play:

Image
That looks like they are shooting to determine who breaks (the ball that hits the opposite rail and stops closest to the near rail breaks).
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Looks like it's a game called three-cushion billiards. It's hard to believe a movie this goofy wasn't doing a made-up game.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Torgo wrote:Looks like it's a game called three-cushion billiards. It's hard to believe a movie this goofy wasn't doing a made-up game.
Ha! Just watched the scene, turns out we're both right. In the frame posted above, they are "lagging" as I described, but they are lagging for who shoots first in three-cushion billiards.
Also, Charlie Sheen is hysterically bad. At acting, not billiards.
User avatar
Shieldmaiden
Posts: 7512
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 am

If you haven't seen Hale County This Morning, This Evening, it's streaming for free at https://www.pbs.org/indiefilms/home/. It's good – lovely and thought-provoking. And I noticed he cites Apichatpong Weerasethakul as "Creative Advisor" in the credits.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:If you haven't seen Hale County This Morning, This Evening, it's streaming for free at https://www.pbs.org/indiefilms/home/. It's good – lovely and thought-provoking. And I noticed he cites Apichatpong Weerasethakul as "Creative Advisor" in the credits.
Thanks! I was looking for a way to see this! I've been tying up loose Oscar ends. Really just have to see the documentaries, Can You Ever Forgive Me and At Eternities Gate and I'll have virtually all the major award nominees down.

I watched three movies yesterday:

Picnic at Hanging Rock- I'm working my way through my unseen criterions numerically. This one was very good but I feel I was a tad too tired to appreciate it's tone and pace fully. I like it more thinking about it which is always a good sign.

Venom- laughably bad piece of garbage and perhaps the worst superhero film since Fant4stic. Tom Hardy languished somewhere between amusingly Cage-crazy to Wiseau baffling.

Velvet Buzzsaw- full disclosure. I was inebriated by this point and to a debilitating degree. That said, this was such a tedious bore. Trying to evoke Altman and failing makes this a rambling nothing of a film much like the modern art it depicts. It's a satire that doesn't amuse, a horror that doesn't scare and a drama that doesn't... Drama. It made me go back and look at Gilroy's career and I'm now starting to think Nightcrawler was the fluke and he's something of a Bob Clark. Nightcrawler was his Black Christmas. This was his Baby Geniuses.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:18 pm

MKS wrote:Picnic at Hanging Rock- I'm working my way through my unseen criterions numerically. This one was very good but I feel I was a tad too tired to appreciate it's tone and pace fully. I like it more thinking about it which is always a good sign.
Love this film.

Makes for a great dreamy double feature with The Last Wave.
User avatar
Shieldmaiden
Posts: 7512
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:42 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Thanks! I was looking for a way to see this! I've been tying up loose Oscar ends. Really just have to see the documentaries, Can You Ever Forgive Me and At Eternities Gate and I'll have virtually all the major award nominees down.
Impressive! I used to make more of an effort, but now I acknowledge there are some I'll just never to be interested in. Of the feature-length nominees, I've seen sixteen. The only ones I'm upset about missing are Capurnaum and Minding the Gap.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Impressive! I used to make more of an effort, but now I acknowledge there are some I'll just never to be interested in. Of the feature-length nominees, I've seen sixteen. The only ones I'm upset about missing are Capurnaum and Minding the Gap.
Stubs A List made it really easy as my AMC gets most limited releases too. Ordinarily I just aim for Best Picture noms but we decided to expand.

I just realized I completely lied. The foreign films never came anywhere near me and I just had to write them off and that depresses me. I really wanted to catch Cold War and Shoplifters at least.

Minding the Gap is on Hulu along with RBG, if you have that for streaming.

Tak- I intend to see the Last Wave. Bought it for a friend's birthday present but I may have to borrow it from him. Saulnier listed it as an influence on Hold the Dark so I'm quite intrigued
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Tak- I intend to see the Last Wave. Bought it for a friend's birthday present but I may have to borrow it from him. Saulnier listed it as an influence on Hold the Dark so I'm quite intrigued
I love The Last Wave. It's subdued, which can make it feel slow at points. But it has both one of my favorite opening sequences and one of my favorite in-film images.
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4078
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:18 am

I really like Picnic at Hanging Rock, but I actually prefer The Last Wave. Phenomenal film. I should give it a rewatch sometime.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Post Reply