Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 pm

Well, Nekromantik is a movie and it’s a movie that I have seen.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Well, Nekromantik is a movie and it’s a movie that I have seen.
My thirst for diving deep into these movies has been more than sated, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never get around to this, or all that August Underground shit. I think I've got everything out of 'endurance' movies that I ever will, and it wasn't very much to begin with.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:08 am

crumbsroom wrote:
My thirst for diving deep into these movies has been more than sated, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never get around to this, or all that August Underground shit. I think I've got everything out of 'endurance' movies that I ever will, and it wasn't very much to begin with.
I’d somehow been under the assumption that this was going to be gross horror more in the vein of Re-Animator and Dead Alive with a necrophylia slant rather than the Gummo meets Pink Flamingos with a necrophilia slant that I got. Gotta say I wasn’t big on the slaughter of a rabbit nor how the butcher killed it. The ending is one of the most hilariously graphic and absurd things I’ve ever seen though so that made it worth the watch alone.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I’d somehow been under the assumption that this was going to be gross horror more in the vein of Re-Animator and Dead Alive with a necrophylia slant rather than the Gummo meets Pink Flamingos with a necrophilia slant that I got. Gotta say I wasn’t big on the slaughter of a rabbit nor how the butcher killed it. The ending is one of the most hilariously graphic and absurd things I’ve ever seen though so that made it worth the watch alone.
A Gummo meets Pink Flamingos slant is obviously up my alley, but then when you throw in scenes with animals, I am back to a hard no.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:20 am

crumbsroom wrote:
A Gummo meets Pink Flamingos slant is obviously up my alley, but then when you throw in scenes with animals, I am back to a hard no.
Yeah. Aside from said rabbit slaughter, whose footage is used twice because THEMES, I could definitely see this being right up your alley.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: One of the most offensive pieces of shit I’ve ever seen from the worst director of Kung Fu movies. Clouse clearly did not direct Enter the Dragon but was just a western name slapped onto it because he made this, Battle Creek Brawl (Chan’s worst film) and Gymkata.

It’s interesting in how it’s plot mirrors Brandon Lee’s death and uses real footage of Lee’s funeral to exploit him further.

They would have been better off just releasing the footage Lee shot as a short film because that is pretty cool.

GoD2 is just a blast of insanity that devolves into a Bond meets Kung Fu insanity and downplays the exploitative aspects. It’s fun. GoD is not.
I actually went to rent Game of Death today but it was already taken out. Maybe it was a sign. They had the Shout Factory release though, which I think includes the original Lee footage.

Ended up grabbing The Water Margin, The One Armed Swordsman and My Young Auntie instead, so things turned out alright. Also grabbed Circle of Deceit based on Shieldmaiden's post in her thread. It's not a martial arts movie, but Hanna Schygulla's karate chops are no joke.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 am

Rock wrote: I actually went to rent Game of Death today but it was already taken out. Maybe it was a sign. They had the Shout Factory release though, which I think includes the original Lee footage.

Ended up grabbing The Water Margin, The One Armed Swordsman and My Young Auntie instead, so things turned out alright. Also grabbed Circle of Deceit based on Shieldmaiden's post in her thread. It's not a martial arts movie, but Hanna Schygulla's karate chops are no joke.
I plan on watching Water Margin this week. I accidentally watched Delightful Forest first, not realizing they were connected. I also have All Men Are Brothers waiting in the wings to finish the franchise.

I watched Brothers Five yesterday and it's easily my favorite Wei Lo film and it convinced me he wasn't necessarily and albatross around Bruce Lee's neck like I thought he was. Certainly a damn sight better than Clouse.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:48 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Oh, wow, yes! Not the part about everyone else, haha, but this was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!
Now watch the trailer. It’s a unique experience.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:49 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I plan on watching Water Margin this week. I accidentally watched Delightful Forest first, not realizing they were connected. I also have All Men Are Brothers waiting in the wings to finish the franchise.

I watched Brothers Five yesterday and it's easily my favorite Wei Lo film and it convinced me he wasn't necessarily and albatross around Bruce Lee's neck like I thought he was. Certainly a damn sight better than Clouse.
Unlike Clouse, he was probably open to negotiating with his stars. It was never his way or the Lo Wei.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:11 am

LEAVES wrote:Now watch the trailer. It’s a unique experience.
That was... odd. Such good writing, and they cut it up into nonsense. I never would have watched it based on that!
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:48 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:That was... odd. Such good writing, and they cut it up into nonsense. I never would have watched it based on that!
They take a nuanced tale of a girl with serious sexual and emotional trauma and advertise... a quirky rom com! Amazing how these people are allowed to have jobs. Or exist.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 am

Yeah, stupid trailers seem to deliberately ruin the movie's chances. The rom-com crowd doesn't want a sharply written, psychologically accurate comedy about trauma. Hopefully some of them managed to appreciate it anyway.

EDIT: The more I think about it, though, the beats were all familiar romantic comedy; it's just the main character who is different. So maybe it will work better than most bait-and-switches.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 am

Rock wrote: Unlike Clouse, he was probably open to negotiating with his stars. It was never his way or the Lo Wei.
I was surprised because my expectations were Wei Lo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I was surprised because my expectations were Wei Lo.
I was gonna attempt another pun but decided to google him instead, and learned that he made a movie where Jackie Chan stuffs a bunch of snakes in his pants.
____
Blog!
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Return of the Joker -9/10
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:Holy fuck, this better not be an elaborate April Fools prank. A Jim Jarmusch zombie movie. With the greatest cast ever disassembled. I just squirted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5ZOcU6Bnw
That would be really elaborate.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:Yeah, I found trailers at two different sites so it's definitely for real. And for those wondering if Jarmusch can take on a zombie film all they have to do is check out Only Lovers Left Alive. He managed to turn out a uniquely original and affecting story in what was most certainly a well worn genre. I can't wait.
Already one of my favorite vampire movies.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Wooley wrote:That would be really elaborate.
It just sounded too good to be true. One of my all time favorite directors tackling one my favorite genres. And then that cast? Fuggedaboutit.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:It just sounded too good to be true. One of my all time favorite directors tackling one my favorite genres. And then that cast? Fuggedaboutit.
I know, it's ridiculous. I watched the trailer last night, it looks... fun? And I say that because I like Jarmusch but I don't really think of his movies as fun. This would be a nice change of pace.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Wooley wrote:I say that because I like Jarmusch but I don't really think of his movies as fun.
I dunno, he's got some fun ones in him - Down By Law, Mystery Train, Ghost Dog.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm pretty on the record as not loving Boxer's Omen, but I'm probably wrong. That said it's one of the craziest movies I've ever seen.
Yes, on both points. You are wrong and it is crazy.

If only I could find a gif of the march of crocodile skulls.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote: Yes, on both points. You are wrong and it is crazy.

If only I could find a gif of the march of crocodile skulls.
For me it was a case of sensory overload. It just became so super repetitive with its insanity, that I became completely numb to it. In 15 minute shots, it's amazing. Full length movie, loses its impact.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:03 pm

At work right now, lucky enough to be closed-captioning a TV special on Grace Kelly.

Good lord, this woman. I'd forgotten about her opening shot in Rear Window.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:45 pm

DaMU wrote:At work right now, lucky enough to be closed-captioning a TV special on Grace Kelly.

Sometimes I have trouble watching movies she's in. She is distressingly attractive.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Macrology wrote:
Sometimes I have trouble watching movies she's in. She is distressingly attractive.
I've said it before, but if ever there was a woman that could've plausibly played Helen of Troy.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:27 pm

DaMU wrote:At work right now, lucky enough to be closed-captioning a TV special on Grace Kelly.

Gorgeous, and a pretty good performance as well.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:04 am

Finished up the Female Prisoner Scorpion series earlier this week. A quick rundown:

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion stretches a sexploitation film to its limits with its bizarre stylistic antics, while
Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 breaks those limits, transforming the exploitation material into "an imagist epic of elemental tragedy" (to quote Pinkerton), and
Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable transcends the genre, sublimating its trappings into pure pulp poetry. My favorite of the series.
Female Prisoner Scorpion: #701's Grudge Song gets a bad rap for being the worst in the series, and it is, but it's only marginally less entertaining than the first film. And its ending is pretty killer.

The series includes an impressive array of rape (both male on female and female on male gang rape, female on female, etc), and some of the best expressionist sets this side of Kwaidan. Meiko Kaji is a terrifying, enigmatic fox throughout. And the Arrow box set is gorgeously packaged, with some great bonus materials.
Ma`crol´o`gy
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:22 am

I watched the Female Prisoner Scorpion Films so close together that they blurred. I recall the first two being my favorites. Kaji is so wonderfully ntense. Best glare in cinema.

I sorta loved the House that Jack Built. I was a bit too tired and pissed off from work to get the full effect but it was pure Trier and far better than Nymphomaniac. That said, I watched the uncut version and was surprised that it wasn't particularly hard to watch (perhaps my recent plunge into extreme cinema took its toll). I was mainly surprised that no one complained about the use of actual genocide footage (never cool) and instead lost their shit over brief, fake animal abuse and gore.

Matt Dillon has never been better. Rest in piece, Bruno Ganz.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 am

I guess I need to see more of the Female Prisoner Scorpion films. I've only seen the first (I think? I might have seen another), which I liked a good deal, but don't really remember much about.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:03 am

crumbsroom wrote:I guess I need to see more of the Female Prisoner Scorpion films. I've only seen the first (I think? I might have seen another), which I liked a good deal, but don't really remember much about.
Throw Stray Cat Rock and Lady Snowblood in the mix for good measure.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Throw Stray Cat Rock and Lady Snowblood in the mix for good measure.
I've seen Lady Snowblood, which was amazing.

Filing Stray Cat Rock in the memory banks. My horribly faulty memory banks.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:48 am

I just watched High Noon (which I will be writing up in my thread in the next day or two, shameless plug). She's literally just 20 years old.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 am

Macrology wrote:
I feel like it's more than that, I feel like she has an almost unique degree of magnetism, even among movie stars. Even next to Cary Grant (in To Catch A Thief, obv).
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:10 am

Turner Classic Movies is airing Lady Snowblood on the 13th of this month. I thought about DVR'ing it when I ran across it but wasn't sure whether it was worth checking out. But it does have a 100% on the Tomatometer and a couple of the reviews say it's requisite viewing for Kill Bill fans.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:Turner Classic Movies is airing Lady Snowblood on the 13th of this month. I thought about DVR'ing it when I ran across it but wasn't sure whether it was worth checking out. But it does have a 100% on the Tomatometer and a couple of the reviews say it's requisite viewing for Kill Bill fans.
I'm a big fan. It doesn't have the brutal efficiency and technique of a lot of chanbara films ala Kurosawa, Okamoto or Kobayashi but it does revel in over the top violence and a handheld aesthetic that fits it somewhere between Lone Wolf and Cub and Hanzo the Razor.

Definitely required viewing for Kill Bill fans. It may be the essential viewing for Kill Bill fans, though there's still a smattering of the dozens of other films he references that are worth checking out (Executioners of Shaolin is the film from which Pei Mei originates, for instance, and the flashing red eyes and Ironside sample is a direct lift from Five Fingers of Death).
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:45 am

Lady Snowblood is fucking fantastic. Watch it.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:...a handheld aesthetic that fits it somewhere between Lone Wolf and Cub...
This. This right here is something I've been meaning to check out for years and years. I know there's like six or seven in the franchise but I really need to make the time.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:....a direct lift from Five Fingers of Death
I know I trotted this out before but I actually watched this in a theater when it first came out. My hometown had like two theaters at that time. Single screens of course. There's no way even a multiplex would run something like this these days. I also remember watching The Mandarin Magician at a drive in theater in Hawaii.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:17 am

Macrology wrote:Lady Snowblood is fucking fantastic. Watch it.
Thanks guys. I already set my DVR to record this.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Wooley wrote: I feel like it's more than that, I feel like she has an almost unique degree of magnetism, even among movie stars. Even next to Cary Grant (in To Catch A Thief, obv).
"Magnetism" is a good way of putting it.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Wooley wrote: I feel like it's more than that, I feel like she has an almost unique degree of magnetism, even among movie stars. Even next to Cary Grant (in To Catch A Thief, obv).
It's distressing for me to watch Jimmy Stewart being such a dick to her in Rear Window. It's like, "seriously, dude?"
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:58 pm

Captain Terror wrote: It's distressing for me to watch Jimmy Stewart being such a dick to her in Rear Window. It's like, "seriously, dude?"
Same. I actually think most "healthy" romances in Hitchcock films don't really work.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Captain Terror wrote: It's distressing for me to watch Jimmy Stewart being such a dick to her in Rear Window. It's like, "seriously, dude?"
I honestly think that's an unspoken joke, that Jimmy Stewart is like, "Grace Kelly? Ugh, I guess, fine, if I have to."
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:03 pm

DaMU wrote:
I honestly think that's an unspoken joke, that Jimmy Stewart is like, "Grace Kelly? Ugh, I guess, fine, if I have to."
Oh yeah, it's all intentional and done well even, just hard for me to swallow. :)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:27 pm

I just watched the new Joker trailer and I'm not exactly sure what to think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:I just watched the new Joker trailer and I'm not exactly sure what to think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc
Yeah, I am not sure either.

Part of what made Ledger's Joker interesting was the ambiguity regarding his origins and motivations (e.g., manufacturing a new story about how he got his scars every time he talks about them). The same was true of Hannibal Lector, who asserts, “Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened. You can't reduce me to a set of influences.” Hannibal was great as a sort of primal force, until Thomas Harris wrote Hannibal Rising, which was a bit like learning that force-power is nothing more than your "midichlorian count."

I am getting a Norman Bates vibe from the trailer. OK, so the guy has some odd relationship with his mom and he was was bullied. The poor clown is just getting revenge on a world that bullied him? Doesn't sound like the Joker we know and love.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Yeah, I am not sure either.

Part of what made Ledger's Joker interesting was the ambiguity regarding his origins and motivations (e.g., manufacturing a new story about how he got his scars every time he talks about them). The same was true of Hannibal Lector, who asserts, “Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened. You can't reduce me to a set of influences.” Hannibal was great as a sort of primal force, until Thomas Harris wrote Hannibal Rising, which was a bit like learning that force-power is nothing more than your "midichlorian count."

I am getting a Norman Bates vibe from the trailer. OK, so the guy has some odd relationship with his mom and he was was bullied. The poor clown is just getting revenge on a world that bullied him? Doesn't sound like the Joker we know and love.
Nicholson’s Joker still worked despite being given a definite origin and gangster background. The Animated Series maintained this origin and built upon it for perhaps its finest hour, Mask of the Phantasm. The Killing Joke, while not as concrete, established much of the accepted “origin” for Joker, that even ripples through acclaimed runs like the New 52 from Snyder.

Joker not having a background is not even close to as firmly established as Batman’s “no kill” policy and every single live action Batman has killed. Even Adam West dropped a fella from a guard tower.

My point being, doing an origin standalone for the Joker isn’t inherently a betrayal of the character anymore than Ledger’s never once mentioning Ace Chemical. It’ll all depend on the how and right now, with Phoebix’s talent and the evocation of Psycho, Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, it looks a whole lot more interesting and well done than most superhero flicks on the horizon.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Nicholson’s Joker still worked despite being given a definite origin and gangster background.

Sure, but his background was not apologetic. It did not ask us to feel for him in understanding how he was created. He was basically a murderous psycho who was "leveled up" by events. And Tim Burton's Batman is not a feature-length exploration of how he was created. We're given the SparkNotes and we quickly move on to enjoying watching Nicholson "being" the Joker and Keaton "being" Batman.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:The Animated Series maintained this origin and built upon it for perhaps its finest hour, Mask of the Phantasm.

The movie plays as much with Batman's origins as with the Joker's, and the focus of the film is not on the Joker (a supporting character who enters into the film late), but rather the Phantasm. It is not like The Killing Joke, in that it does not give us a "reduction" of the Joker (i.e., any one of us could have a really bad day). We don't learn hidden truths about the Joker, apart from the fact that he used to run with the gangsters being killed by the Phantasm.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:The Killing Joke, while not as concrete, established much of the accepted “origin” for Joker, that even ripples through acclaimed runs like the New 52 from Snyder.

And this story is not without controversy. The story of the struggling comedian who can't make people laugh or ends meet with a proposition to prove (it could happen to you too!) has mixed reviews from fans.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:Joker not having a background is not even close to as firmly established as Batman’s “no kill” policy and every single live action Batman has killed. Even Adam West dropped a fella from a guard tower.

What is established is that he has multiple backgrounds. What is essential to his character is not his origin (his origin varies and is malleable to the needs of the story and the interests of the writer), but that he is a chaotic comical counterweight to Batman's orderly and grim enforcement of justice.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:My point being, doing an origin standalone for the Joker isn’t inherently a betrayal of the character

No. However, if you are going to color in that backstory, you'd better do a bang-up job of it. I don't know that the Norman Bates/bullying is bad (no shit?) angle is likely to make the juice worth the squeeze. Like I said, I am not sure if I am sold on this idea yet.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:anymore than Ledger’s never once mentioning Ace Chemical. It’ll all depend on the how and right now, with Phoebix’s talent and the evocation of Psycho, Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, it looks a whole lot more interesting and well done than most superhero flicks on the horizon.
Maybe. I am concerned, however, about a herd of histrionic method actors attempting to "summit" the character as a sort of Mt. Everest in an attempt to match Ledger's performance--approaching the subject matter like it's playing King Lear.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Sure, but his background was not apologetic. It did not ask us to feel for him in understanding how he was created. He was basically a murderous psycho who was "leveled up" by events. And Tim Burton's Batman is not a feature-length exploration of how he was created. We're given the SparkNotes and we quickly move on to enjoying watching Nicholson "being" the Joker and Keaton "being" Batman.

The movie plays as much with Batman's origins as with the Joker's, and the focus of the film is not on the Joker (a supporting character who enters into the film late), but rather the Phantasm. It is not like The Killing Joke, in that it does not give us a "reduction" of the Joker (i.e., any one of us could have a really bad day). We don't learn hidden truths about the Joker, apart from the fact that he used to run with the gangsters being killed by the Phantasm.

And this story is not without controversy. The story of the struggling comedian who can't make people laugh or ends meet with a proposition to prove (it could happen to you too!) has mixed reviews from fans.

What is established is that he has multiple backgrounds. What is essential to his character is not his origin (his origin varies and is malleable to the needs of the story and the interests of the writer), but that he is a chaotic comical counterweight to Batman's orderly and grim enforcement of justice.

No. However, if you are going to color in that backstory, you'd better do a bang-up job of it. I don't know that the Norman Bates/bullying is bad (no shit?) angle is likely to make the juice worth the squeeze. Like I said, I am not sure if I am sold on this idea yet.

Maybe. I am concerned, however, about a herd of histrionic method actors attempting to "summit" the character as a sort of Mt. Everest in an attempt to match Ledger's performance--approaching the subject matter like it's playing King Lear.
That’s a fairly negligible difference when discussing the joy of not having a background. I would argue that giving him a gangster background is even more simplistic and devoid of any particular depths if you’re worried about “apologetic” stripping it of potency. The flick also devotes its whole first half to Jack becoming the Joker and starting his life as the clown prince of crime. In many ways, Batman is already a Joker origin story.

I don’t see how being the focus does much to refute that he does have an origin story (the crux of your initial point, which is what I addressed).

Where exactly is this criticism? It’s heralded widely as the best single issue of Batman, one of Moore’s masterpieces and was of enough importance to be “the one” that could pull Hammil out of retirement to its regard. I’m going to need some qualifying on that claim as any controversy I’ve seen deals with accusations of misogyny in its handling of Batgirl (which aren’t unfounded). The story, however IS “apologetic” and highly influential. I can’t see criticizing the film on this basis due to the ubiquity of TKJ’s influence on the character.

You’re also assuming that this film, even with its strong Scorsese influence, won’t have a confessional narrative structure.

What histrionics did you see in Phoenix’s approach, or really in any of his acclaimed performances? Ledger was great but your claims and fears are pretty unfounded given that Romero, Nicholson and Hammill had all previously killed in their respective performances before he ever uttered a laugh. It’s a great character. Great characters draw great actors. You brought up Hannibal. Cox was perfectly great in his version only to have Hopkins give the big grandiose performance that people identify with the character. Neither prevented Mikkelson from carving out his own, wildly different but excellent interpretation of the character.

Leto sucking is a hiccup and hardly indicative of the general legacy of portraying the character.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:38 am

Any misgivings I have wouldn't lie with the teaser trailer or the concept, but with Todd Phillips himself, as I haven't been buck wild on what I've seen of his work: The Hangover, Starsky & Hutch, Old School, and Road Trip all diverted me and then disappeared from my brain forever (except maybe Galifianakis' work in The Hangover). Co-writer Scott Silver (The Fighter, 8 Mile) makes things a bit more interesting.

The fact that the movie's so clear about being an Elseworld (like Into the Spider-Verse) exempts it from the need to match to the "classic" Joker incarnations (in my eyes, anyway). It can figure out what it wants to do, and if its Nightcrawler-meets-King of Comedy thing pays off, the flick could work. Lord knows it's not another "find the glowy thing before the world ends" narrative.
NOTE:
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:07 am

I just like that Jack dances around and paints stuff to Prince songs. There's a confederate statue near my condo that's been splattered with orange paint and I think of Joker every time I see it. Party man!