Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Melvin Butterworth

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:That’s a fairly negligible difference when discussing the joy of not having a background. I would argue that giving him a gangster background is even more simplistic and devoid of any particular depths if you’re worried about “apologetic” stripping it of potency. The flick also devotes its whole first half to Jack becoming the Joker and starting his life as the clown prince of crime. In many ways, Batman is already a Joker origin story.

I don’t see how being the focus does much to refute that he does have an origin story (the crux of your initial point, which is what I addressed).

Where exactly is this criticism? It’s heralded widely as the best single issue of Batman, one of Moore’s masterpieces and was of enough importance to be “the one” that could pull Hammil out of retirement to its regard. I’m going to need some qualifying on that claim as any controversy I’ve seen deals with accusations of misogyny in its handling of Batgirl (which aren’t unfounded). The story, however IS “apologetic” and highly influential. I can’t see criticizing the film on this basis due to the ubiquity of TKJ’s influence on the character.

You’re also assuming that this film, even with its strong Scorsese influence, won’t have a confessional narrative structure.

What histrionics did you see in Phoenix’s approach, or really in any of his acclaimed performances? Ledger was great but your claims and fears are pretty unfounded given that Romero, Nicholson and Hammill had all previously killed in their respective performances before he ever uttered a laugh. It’s a great character. Great characters draw great actors. You brought up Hannibal. Cox was perfectly great in his version only to have Hopkins give the big grandiose performance that people identify with the character. Neither prevented Mikkelson from carving out his own, wildly different but excellent interpretation of the character.

Leto sucking is a hiccup and hardly indicative of the general legacy of portraying the character.
I merely said that I am not sure about this film. And I'm not.

Phoenix damn near ruined his career with methody hijinks in "I'm still here."

This is the sort of role that lures in all the scenery-chewers who want to plant their flag (e.g., Leto sending dead rodents to co-stars in Suicide Squad).

Again, the Joker doesn't have an origin story, but rather origin stories. And only one of the stories you mention is a full on origin story narrative (Killing Joke)--again, this isn't to say that it can't be done, but I have my concerns.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:32 am

Ergill wrote:I just like that Jack dances around and paints stuff to Prince songs. There's a confederate statue near my condo that's been splattered with orange paint and I think of Joker every time I see it. Party man!
I remember watching Batman '89 with my dad, and Joker defacing the art was a step too far. The murder, sure, that was bad, but it was splashing paint on old portraits.

And weirdly.

I get it.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:33 am

One of my nice surprises of the past few years is that I showed my parents They Live, neither of them much liked it at the time, but my mother admitted to me that she's watched it a few times since.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:54 am

DaMU wrote:
I remember watching Batman '89 with my dad, and Joker defacing the art was a step too far. The murder, sure, that was bad, but it was splashing paint on old portraits.

And weirdly.

I get it.
Why'd they use paint in the first place? You ask me, they were asking for it. Pace Duchamp, you make a Fountain, expect a tinkle.

Related (related?) there's that scene in Turner where he sticks a big red thumbprint in the middle of a masterpiece (a jokey fuck-you to a painter fussing over the work next to him) before a quick scratch and smear back into the realm of mastery. Or where he a hawks a few loogies into the creative process. Clearly I don't know where I'm going with this.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 am

Ergill wrote: Why'd they use paint in the first place? You ask me, they were asking for it. Pace Duchamp, you make a Fountain, expect a tinkle.

Related (related?) there's that scene in Turner where he sticks a big red thumbprint in the middle of a masterpiece (a jokey fuck-you to a painter fussing over the work next to him) before a quick scratch and smear back into the realm of mastery. Or where he a hawks a few loogies into the creative process. Clearly I don't know where I'm going with this.
Isaac Hayes really killed it as Truck Turner. Great scene!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:I just watched the new Joker trailer and I'm not exactly sure what to think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc
I think it looks pretty damn good.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:58 am

Ergill wrote:I just like that Jack dances around and paints stuff to Prince songs. There's a confederate statue near my condo that's been splattered with orange paint and I think of Joker every time I see it. Party man!
Where you live?
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 am

Taxi Joker.

Anyways....

Us- 7.5/10

It will probably improve when I see it again.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 am

I watched the new Pet Sematary and here are my thoughts:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/pet-sematary-2019/
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:42 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I watched the new Pet Sematary and here are my thoughts:

I think you're running the pump the wrong way. You are probably getting more views on your cite that there are users here. You should post your review here and then link your users to it from your website to increase traffic here. /JK
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:51 am

Wooley wrote: Where you live?
Louisville KY.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:14 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
I think you're running the pump the wrong way. You are probably getting more views on your cite that there are users here. You should post your review here and then link your users to it from your website to increase traffic here. /JK
Ha! JK indeed. The ONLY views I’m getting are from here.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I watched the new Pet Sematary and here are my thoughts:

Well, that pretty much killed any interest I had in seeing it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:45 pm

The 4th Man is a delightfully lurid thriller. If you're a Verhoeven fan, you'll most likely enjoy it because it has all of his trademarks, including showy camerawork, colorful and indelible visuals and a lack of censorship when it comes to sex and violence. It's also recommended for De Palma fans because it's very much in the same vein as movies like Dressed to Kill and Body Double. Superstition and coincidence are very much on this movie's mind, and the way it shows their relationship with self-fulfilling prophecies left me with much to think about. Renée Soutendijk is amazing because she first made me assume she's a femme fatale, but as it went on, I was continuously in suspense as to whether she was one at all. There's a reason why she figures so prominently on the poster, not to mention her...errrgghhh...pair of scissors.

It's a shame the DVD is out of print. I could only afford to acquire the VHS, which has dubbing that left much to be desired.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Wooley wrote: Well, that pretty much killed any interest I had in seeing it.
The first red flag with any remake is the film's status as a remake.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Claire Denis' High Life got released today in the US, and I'm very curious what y'all will think of it. I saw it two weeks ago and honestly, I have not stopped thinking about it since. It’s quiet, brooding and bonkers in an introvert kind of way. My favorite movie of the year so far.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:33 am

Eadweard was a really frustrating biopic about Eadweard Muybridge (one of the first people to capture motion in photos).

Michael Eklund--an actor I tend to enjoy pretty much every time I see him--gives a good central performance, but the film is all over the place and can't seem to decide what it thinks of its subject. Was he a pervert? A sadist? A sociopath? A uniquely-minded scientist? The film mocks the people who accuse Muybridge of shooting sensationalist subjects, but then shows a scene of a mental patient being tormented for the purpose of a photo shoot and Muybridge torturing a turtle with basically no comment.

The film also apparently took HUGE liberties with the chronology of his life, specifically the fact that he killed his wife's lover, then was acquitted, then she died, and THEN he got into the stuff with the photographs. The film mixes up the order of these events so that the wife's affair occurs while he is shooting his photographs, and implies that his obsession with his work is the root of their marital problems.

Even more infuriating, the film shows only a scant handful of the famous movement sequences. It shows a lot of "making of" sequences, so that we get to watch a ton of naked women (and a few naked men) romping around or whatever, but very little of what his finished product looked like.

The subject is interesting (and Eklund's performance is very physical and committed), but as a film it's handled pretty shabbily.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

Bastard Swordsman reminded me of Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off! and specifically Homer's reaction: "I love legitimate theatre." Which is to say, it's kind of nuts and kind of awesome, but not exactly for kung fu purists. I'd be lying if I said the part of my brain that likes seeing demonstrations of actual martial arts skill wasn't slightly put off by the proceedings, but the movie did more than enough to entertain the part of my brain that likes bananas nonsense. The guys introducing the movie framed it as the Shaw Brothers trying pretty much anything in order to stay relevant in the '80s, and with the nutty fantasy elements (the combat is defined by gusts of wind, levitation, improbably precise swordplay and optical effects, usually with kooky sound effects to match) and a surprising emphasis on story (in stark contrast to the bare minimum some of the earlier Shaw Brothers movies would do plot-wise to just establish stakes and get on to the good stuff) presenting a shift away from the earlier house style. Also, while Godard may have invented jump cuts, one could argue they reached their peak here with the mid-fight teleportation effects here. I wouldn't, but one could.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:36 am

Slentert wrote:Claire Denis' High Life got released today in the US, and I'm very curious what y'all will think of it. I saw it two weeks ago and honestly, I have not stopped thinking about it since. It’s quiet, brooding and bonkers in an introvert kind of way. My favorite movie of the year so far.
there is no way this movie will play at a cinema near me. but I'll be sure to let you know how Detective Pikachu turns out!

btw I've read, like, five reviews of High Life and I still have no idea what it's about. so color me intrigued.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse was AMAZING. That is all.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:47 pm

The Howling 2 and 3 melted my mind.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:52 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:The Howling 2 and 3 melted my mind.
Hopefully in a good way. Howling 2 is one of the greatest of all absurdist pure-80's swill. And there was already so much to choose from.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:The Howling 2 and 3 melted my mind.

Jaboa Jaboa!

The scariest thing in H3 is the real world footage of the last Thylacine. The saddest thing about H3 is learning about the real world fate of the "Tasmanian Tiger."
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Hopefully in a good way. Howling 2 is one of the greatest of all absurdist pure-80's swill. And there was already so much to choose from.
I wasn't sure. It would win me over then break me with the worst editing I've ever seen. Then Danning would appear as if she's still in a Conan rip off. It was a huge back and forth.

I thought I didn't like it.

Then the credits scene happened. And it swung me back over and changed my perspective on the whole thing like the best Shyamalan twist.

Then I watched the Marsupials and felt like I was watching a Neil Breen film.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I wasn't sure. It would win me over then break me with the worst editing I've ever seen. Then Danning would appear as if she's still in a Conan rip off. It was a huge back and forth.
It's technically bad in every conceivable way. Not many movies can do this which such commitment. It's also a soulless piece of trash, but I love it regardless.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:14 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
It's technically bad in every conceivable way. Not many movies can do this which such commitment. It's also a soulless piece of trash, but I love it regardless.
It's the type of piece of shit that only the most deluded of idiots can make. Then he did it again with the Marsupials but with an editor that wasn't actively mocking the entire picture and sabotaging it.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 am

My favourite part of Howling II is how they had to explain lycanthropy as "evolution reversed" because the studio sent them Planet of the Apes costumes by mistake.

I kind of like both of those, more or less unironically. Like, I recognize they're not remotely well made, but I think there are some fun ideas in both. Howling II is basically a Hammer vampire movie, but with werewolves and incompetent direction.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 am

Rock wrote:My favourite part of Howling II is how they had to explain lycanthropy as "evolution reversed" because the studio sent them Planet of the Apes costumes by mistake.
lol. I didn't know this.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 am

crumbsroom wrote:
lol. I didn't know this.
It explains why I kept joking that the costume designer didn't know what a wolf was and decided to use Planet of the Apes as his inspiration.

I thought I was joking at least..
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 am

Our Samurai Movie Night gathering finished up the Zatoichi series recently, capping it off tonight with the doc on Shintaro Katsu:

Zatoichi at Large - Chicken teriyaki
Zatoichi in Desperation - Shogayaki aka ginger pork (this was a popular one -- surprisingly bleak)
Zatoichi's Conspiracy - Hot chicken soba, accompanied with a fancy sake called Summer Snow
The Blind Swordsman - Hong Kong style tomato pork chops

Next we're probably going to watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:57 am

Macrology wrote:Our Samurai Movie Night gathering finished up the Zatoichi series recently, capping it off tonight with the doc on Shintaro Katsu:

Zatoichi at Large - Chicken teriyaki
Zatoichi in Desperation - Shogayaki aka ginger pork (this was a popular one -- surprisingly bleak)
Zatoichi's Conspiracy - Hot chicken soba, accompanied with a fancy sake called Summer Snow
The Blind Swordsman - Hong Kong style tomato pork chops

Next we're probably going to watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series.
By "the Blind Swordsman" are you referring to the final Katsu film that he directed often subtitled with "darkness is my ally" or the Kitano Zatoichi?
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:03 pm

No, that's the documentary. It's a supplement on the Criterion set. We're probably going to watch Darkness is his Ally at some point, though.
Ma`crol´o`gy
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Macrology wrote:No, that's the documentary. It's a supplement on the Criterion set. We're probably going to watch Darkness is his Ally at some point, though.
Ah. I saw that but haven't watched the supplement yet. The Kitano one is sometimes called ""The Blindswordsman: Zatoichi" so I wanted to be clear. I like them both but they're far from the series bests that I wish they were.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 am

Macrology wrote:No, that's the documentary. It's a supplement on the Criterion set. We're probably going to watch Darkness is his Ally at some point, though.
Katsu came off as a grade-A douchebag.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 am

Macrology wrote:Next we're probably going to watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series.
A big fan of this series (of which I've seen four, I think).
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 am

Takoma1 wrote:
A big fan of this series (of which I've seen four, I think).
I enjoy those for the style and the lulz, but I've never got fully on board with the blank, stoic toughguy thing. Wakayama has the paunchy athleticism of his brother, but I've always preferred Zatoichi for the personality Katsu brings to the character. Ogami is just a cipher things happen around in between blood-lettings (incidentally a similar problem with Kitano's Zatoichi). Both are far above Hanzo the Razor, which was just an extended creepfest.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 am

I think I've also always been partial to the sixties over the seventies samurai aesthetic, my favorite Zato's falling in that period.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 am

Ergill wrote: I enjoy those for the style and the lulz, but I've never got fully on board with the blank, stoic toughguy thing. Wakayama has the paunchy athleticism of his brother, but I've always preferred Zatoichi for the personality Katsu brings to the character. Ogami is just a cipher things happen around in between blood-lettings (incidentally a similar problem with Kitano's Zatoichi). Both are far above Hanzo the Razor, which was just an extended creepfest.
Hanzo the Razor is gonna fuck into taking that back.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 am

Takoma1 wrote:Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse was AMAZING. That is all.
Yep yep yep!

Yep!

Super-satisfying, gorgeous, intimate and real but also meta and cheeky as hell.
NOTE:
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Hanzo the Razor is gonna fuck into taking that back.
Most of the problem!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 am

Wish I liked The One-Armed Swordsman more. It's Chang Cheh so obviously there's some damn fine craft and the closing fight scene is pretty sweet, but the hero's origin story is so damn annoying and made it hard for me to get into the rest of it. Also his beard fucking sucks. Yeah, that's a legitimate criticism.

I had trouble keeping up with The Water Margin, as there were a few too many characters for me to invest in or even keep up with (it's supposed to be chapters 64-68 of a classic Chinese novel, and aside from a flurry of title cards the movie doesn't really hold your hand), but the larger scale of the action scenes and a soundtrack that's half-spaghetti-western half-giallo make it stand out pretty easily in its genre. Also, David Chiang's theme music is pretty great.

My Young Auntie may or may not be one of Lau Kar-Leung's very best, but it is a lot of fun and probably the best combination of action and comedy I've seen from him. Hsiah Ho is the best thing about it and steals all his scenes.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 am

DaMU wrote:
Yep yep yep!

Yep!

Super-satisfying, gorgeous, intimate and real but also meta and cheeky as hell.
Indeed. When the
Mulaney character
appeared I was like, "Hell. Yes."

Also, this seems like a great movie for like 9-13 year olds who might not be ready for more violent films, but are ready for more thematically intense content.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 am

I sometimes think I'm too hard on a lot of American animation *cough*including Pixar*cough* for being really lazy aesthetically, but then something like Spiderverse comes along and puts them all to shame.

Hot damn. What a movie.
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 am

Rock wrote:I sometimes think I'm too hard on a lot of American animation *cough*including Pixar*cough* for being really lazy aesthetically, but then something like Spiderverse comes along and puts them all to shame.
YES. Our current technology offers us limitless possibilities but so few projects take advantage of that.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 am

Ergill wrote: Katsu came off as a grade-A douchebag.
He struck me as someone who is professionally very exacting and well versed, but whose personal life is in shambles.

I felt more pity than anything. But it was a fascinating little snapshot of his life.
Ma`crol´o`gy
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse was AMAZING. That is all.
Yes, it was.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 pm

The Dark Tower - I wish I would have read the reviews or done some research before watching this. If I had I most likely would have skipped it. And that's a shame because, even though I quit on the book series after Wolves of the Calla, it still offered plenty of elements potentially worthy of committing to film. There was a good movie there. Somewhere. But this. This was an unholy mess. Much too preposterous for newcomers and way too adulterated for fans of the series. It makes you wonder what the thinking was beforehand in the planning stages but also while they were filming it. They had to have known what a disaster they were propagating. Anyway, grade D.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 am

Macrology wrote:
He struck me as someone who is professionally very exacting and well versed, but whose personal life is in shambles.

I felt more pity than anything. But it was a fascinating little snapshot of his life.
It's kind of a blur to me, but I remember being really put off by his dictatorial bearing, especially with his boy. It felt like a good part of his downward spiral spun out from his hubris. Oh well. My heart still beats for Ichi.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:The Dark Tower - I wish I would have read the reviews or done some research before watching this. If I had I most likely would have skipped it. And that's a shame because, even though I quit on the book series after Wolves of the Calla, it still offered plenty of elements potentially worthy of committing to film. There was a good movie there. Somewhere. But this. This was an unholy mess. Much too preposterous for newcomers and way too adulterated for fans of the series. It makes you wonder what the thinking was beforehand in the planning stages but also while they were filming it. They had to have known what a disaster they were propagating. Anyway, grade D.

Sounds about right.

It's a shame because I was hooked on the series up to and including Wizard and Glass. Then King had his accident and it was plainly obvious that his writing had been affected by it. I still stuck with the series to see where it ended and... ugh. Just the direction he took the final book really rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't get it. Maybe they didn't have faith that they could turn the books into a series of x number of movies. But we've seen with the new IT that with good writing and directing it can be successful.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:The Dark Tower - I wish I would have read the reviews or done some research before watching this. If I had I most likely would have skipped it. And that's a shame because, even though I quit on the book series after Wolves of the Calla, it still offered plenty of elements potentially worthy of committing to film. There was a good movie there. Somewhere. But this. This was an unholy mess. Much too preposterous for newcomers and way too adulterated for fans of the series. It makes you wonder what the thinking was beforehand in the planning stages but also while they were filming it. They had to have known what a disaster they were propagating. Anyway, grade D.
I was especially perplexed by how the shootouts seemed decently shot and choreographed but were chopped up and speed ramped to the point that it was like watching the movie on fast forward. It also didn’t help that the sci-fi elements had a cheap Cannon Group feel to them.

The film has forgotten the face of its father.