Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
DaMU

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 am

Rock wrote:I sometimes think I'm too hard on a lot of American animation *cough*including Pixar*cough* for being really lazy aesthetically, but then something like Spiderverse comes along and puts them all to shame.

Hot damn. What a movie.
Laika's been bringing it on an aesthetic level, but yeah, Spider-Verse was mind-boggling. It's like Speed Racer and The Lego Movie making love on a bed of Silver Age comics.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 am

Death Proof wrote:

Sounds about right.

It's a shame because I was hooked on the series up to and including Wizard and Glass. Then King had his accident and it was plainly obvious that his writing had been affected by it. I still stuck with the series to see where it ended and... ugh. Just the direction he took the final book really rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't get it. Maybe they didn't have faith that they could turn the books into a series of x number of movies. But we've seen with the new IT that with good writing and directing it can be successful.
The blah way it's shot and aesthetized (sic), with the over-emphasis on Jake as the lead, makes me think they were (privately) hoping for a more YA-oriented take. Otherwise, why in the hell not take risks with the relatively small budget of $60 million?

Also, guys and gals, can we talk about the fact that the film ends with
Roland and Jake happily getting hot dogs? WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK FUCK FUCKEROO WAS THAT.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 am

Murder She Said: The first of the Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple films. This time she sees a murder taking place in a passing adjacent train. After the police dismiss her as a crackpot she ends up poking around and going undercover as a maid in a nearby estate. This introduces yet another family of dissipated types waiting for the patriarch to kick the bucket so they can inherit the family fortune. It's all very British and you'll probably guess who the killer is early on but Rutherford is inherently appealing as the aged sleuth. Grade B.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm

I really liked HBO's The Inventor, which is about the Theranos debacle. It's very much like a real-life, extra-long episode of the same network's Silicon Valley, although it's more sad than funny.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:Murder She Said: The first of the Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple films. This time she sees a murder taking place in a passing adjacent train. After the police dismiss her as a crackpot she ends up poking around and going undercover as a maid in a nearby estate. This introduces yet another family of dissipated types waiting for the patriarch to kick the bucket so they can inherit the family fortune. It's all very British and you'll probably guess who the killer is early on but Rutherford is inherently appealing as the aged sleuth. Grade B.
Murder, Ahoy is my favorite of this series. "Propel me, Jim!"
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:06 am

Well, as someone that's been highly critical of Zahler's previous films, I quite liked Dragged Across Concrete. It has some terrible scenes of racist dialogue and white victimhood that it doesn't do enough to subvert (though things are done!) but the structure and length of complex sequences is like a talkier Melville meets Siegel and it just gelled with me the way all his other films utterly failed to do.

I may rewatch his previous films and see if I'd just been in a mood. I doubt it but my world was just shaken by finding this pretty darn decent despite it's clunky dialogue, Crash level racism and usage of shot reverse shot based on the strength of it's cinematic execution of sequences that occupy the majority of the film's run time (the climax is virtually the last hour of the film).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:29 am

New Hellboy is a mess. When it's being dark and horror-y, I really like it. There's a Babayaga sequence that's excellent and some very nice body horror.. When it's being action blockbuster-y, it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the spectacle works, with a couple simulated long take action sequences. Other times it's choppy and ugly. The attempts at humor and drama are pathetic, with most jokes being haphazardly ADR'd in and the drama being done in what look like rushed reshoots. Mixing the two just bogs the whole thing down and it's the worst editing thing I've seen since Arrested Development s5. It's not Suicide Squad broken but it's shocking how jacked up it.

Were this a Starz pilot for a new Hellboy show, I'd be down for the next episode.

But it's a movie. And it's just not good enough.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 am

The Lady Vanishes: Hitchcock doesn't disappoint. At least with the 20 or so (and counting) of his movies I've watched so far. This contains so many one liners and quips that it could easily qualify as a comedy. A sophisticated one granted but still accessible. The leads are appealing as the (by now stereotypical) thrown together couple and the mystery on board a speeding train never lags. It draws you in like so many of Hitchcock's adventures do. The supporting cast and characters contribute greatly and are an integral part of the story as opposed to being window dressing. This is again another of his trademarks. Entertaining and definitely recommended. Grade B+
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:New Hellboy is a mess. When it's being dark and horror-y, I really like it. There's a Babayaga sequence that's excellent and some very nice body horror.. When it's being action blockbuster-y, it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the spectacle works, with a couple simulated long take action sequences. Other times it's choppy and ugly. The attempts at humor and drama are pathetic, with most jokes being haphazardly ADR'd in and the drama being done in what look like rushed reshoots. Mixing the two just bogs the whole thing down and it's the worst editing thing I've seen since Arrested Development s5. It's not Suicide Squad broken but it's shocking how jacked up it.

Were this a Starz pilot for a new Hellboy show, I'd be down for the next episode.

It's almost like Del Toro knew what he was doing...
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:05 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:New Hellboy is a mess. When it's being dark and horror-y, I really like it. There's a Babayaga sequence that's excellent and some very nice body horror.. When it's being action blockbuster-y, it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the spectacle works, with a couple simulated long take action sequences. Other times it's choppy and ugly. The attempts at humor and drama are pathetic, with most jokes being haphazardly ADR'd in and the drama being done in what look like rushed reshoots. Mixing the two just bogs the whole thing down and it's the worst editing thing I've seen since Arrested Development s5. It's not Suicide Squad broken but it's shocking how jacked up it.

I've seen some reviews call it one of the worst comic book movies ever. That's hyperbole, right?
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Rock wrote: I've seen some reviews call it one of the worst comic book movies ever. That's hyperbole, right?
Yeah. It's certainly much better than stuff like Suicide Squad, even if it has similar problems. It's watchable.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 pm

https://www.cbr.com/hellboy-drama-director-producers/

Sometimes a tumultuous shoot results in Fitzcarraldo or The Shining, and then I guess other times you get Hellboy.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm

I was pretty annoyed by the whole "we're so cool because blood and gore and f-bombs" ad campaign. like, who's their target audience, boys aged 13-15?
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:43 pm

The trailers didn't look good at all. It looked... dull. And when the supposedly best, carefully chosen and painstakingly edited bits of a movie fail to engage you then chances are it's gonna be a dog.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Ermanno Olmi's Il Posto in a nutshell:

But seriously, it's a fine Neo-realist take on selling your soul to the company store. I especially liked the natural visual touches like how the modern, soulless office building contrasts with the beautiful classic Italian architecture. I also really liked when young recruits Domenico and Antonietta stroll through shops featuring then-luxuries like dishwashers, televisions and everything else in the "choose life" monologue from Trainspotting that will soon encompass their financial pursuits. Based on the director's own experiences as a clerk, the movie highlights how corporate life is anathema to creative expression. While it's slightly dated due to how the corporate world of the '60s differs from today's, it's still very relevant when it comes to the importance of enjoying what you do, not to mention that if you have creative ambitions, but you are forced to take a corporate job, get out before your enthusiasm for those ambitions fades away.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:I was pretty annoyed by the whole "we're so cool because blood and gore and f-bombs" ad campaign. like, who's their target audience, boys aged 13-15?
Thats exactly fhe target. The music choices felt like a Fast and Furious movie. I would have loved it as a young teen.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXbP_toJWq0
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker teaser trailer

Ok teaser, horrible title.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:44 am

Rewatching Psycho.

Look, we all know this is a good movie, I don't need to reiterate how good of a movie this is, but here I am, after that parlor scene and the murder, and all I can think is, "Wow, now this is good. This is some real good movie stuff."

Was trying to put myself in the perspective of someone who might've been watching it for the first time, and one of the things that struck me was how evocative the film is of Hitchcock's paranoia cinema work with The Wrong Man. Not just the willful black and white, but the careful use of the camera, the way it will slink around a corner with a character while remaining steady. Was also struck by how the discomforting close-ups of the policeman at the beginning get paralleled with the entrance of Arbogast, a similarly discomforting close-up. One "johnny law" after the other, the first one on top of Marion, the second on top of Norman. Silly to not have noticed before.

The other thing that struck me is how gently the film starts to slide into the idea of a relationship between Norman and Marion, teasing it, but the fissures in his geniality are a little too large. He gets a little too upset. But while his peeping on Marion crosses a line of privacy, we also see his guilt, and we know he lives under a larger shadow than Marion does. Will the film be about his redemption? His escape from his own prison? Audiences must've been goddamn bewildered in that time between them agreeing to sandwiches and Marion dying. For those ten minutes, the film's playing a happy song, but the pianist keeps slipping and hitting minor chords.

I also don't give enough credit to Anthony Perkins. Obviously he gives the performance of his life, but Psycho's lingered in my mind for so long due to its technique, its shocks, its revelations, and the underlying griminess of the story compared to a lot of Hitchcock's more optimistic stories (oh, he had some other downers in there, but by and large he was a director of thriller/comedies). But just watching Perkins' face, the boyishness and open-faced wonder at interacting with such a lovely woman, and how subtly it can shift into tightened suspicion. The change to posture, the focus of the eyes.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I'm really very surprised, I figured with Jordan at the helm this would be a slam-dunk to at least be good. But yours is the most positive review I've seen yet, by a good bit, and it obviously does not love the movie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Wooley wrote: I'm really very surprised, I figured with Jordan at the helm this would be a slam-dunk to at least be good. But yours is the most positive review I've seen yet, by a good bit, and it obviously does not love the movie.
It's important to note that Jordan didn't write it and the producers tossed Mignola's treatment. It also seems like the film was victim to reshoots and test screenings to make it more "fun." Sort of like what happened to Fant4stic and Suicide Squad but the "good" in Hellboy is much better than those two and the attempts at "fun" do sometimes work. I'm willing to attribute almost all the good to Jordan, though his weakest element in his films has always been editing and this thing is BADLY edited.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker teaser trailer

Sadly, I've just lost all interest in the Star Wars films. I actually don't even care how they finish this thing. I'm sure someone will tell me.
Who knows, though, right?, maybe it'll be good and the wom will drive me to see it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:25 pm

DaMU wrote:Rewatching Psycho.

Look, we all know this is a good movie, I don't need to reiterate how good of a movie this is, but here I am, after that parlor scene and the murder, and all I can think is, "Wow, now this is good. This is some real good movie stuff."

Was trying to put myself in the perspective of someone who might've been watching it for the first time, and one of the things that struck me was how evocative the film is of Hitchcock's paranoia cinema work with The Wrong Man. Not just the willful black and white, but the careful use of the camera, the way it will slink around a corner with a character while remaining steady. Was also struck by how the discomforting close-ups of the policeman at the beginning get paralleled with the entrance of Arbogast, a similarly discomforting close-up. One "johnny law" after the other, the first one on top of Marion, the second on top of Norman. Silly to not have noticed before.

The other thing that struck me is how gently the film starts to slide into the idea of a relationship between Norman and Marion, teasing it, but the fissures in his geniality are a little too large. He gets a little too upset. But while his peeping on Marion crosses a line of privacy, we also see his guilt, and we know he lives under a larger shadow than Marion does. Will the film be about his redemption? His escape from his own prison? Audiences must've been goddamn bewildered in that time between them agreeing to sandwiches and Marion dying. For those ten minutes, the film's playing a happy song, but the pianist keeps slipping and hitting minor chords.

I also don't give enough credit to Anthony Perkins. Obviously he gives the performance of his life, but Psycho's lingered in my mind for so long due to its technique, its shocks, its revelations, and the underlying griminess of the story compared to a lot of Hitchcock's more optimistic stories (oh, he had some other downers in there, but by and large he was a director of thriller/comedies). But just watching Perkins' face, the boyishness and open-faced wonder at interacting with such a lovely woman, and how subtly it can shift into tightened suspicion. The change to posture, the focus of the eyes.
The bolded is something I'm always trying to do with films, watch as someone seeing it for the first time, and whenever I can, trying to trick my mind into thinking it hasn't seen the 20 or 30 or 50 years of film that came after it. And then thinking about those films and years and how the filmmakers in them reacted and how the film influenced them.
And I agree, Perkins was just great.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 pm

In Cold Blood was excellent, wasn't it?
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Wooley wrote: Sadly, I've just lost all interest in the Star Wars films. I actually don't even care how they finish this thing. I'm sure someone will tell me.
Who knows, though, right?, maybe it'll be good and the wom will drive me to see it.
I seem to remember more people liking The Last Jedi when it came out. I thought it was a disappointment. It's hard to fathom how something like Star Wars could have gone from cultural icon to that.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Regarding the part that Wooley also highlighted:

My second viewing of Psycho is one of my favorite film viewing experiences. When I first watched it, I definitely enjoyed it, but as someone already well versed in movie history I knew where things were going before I'd ever seen it. The second time I watched it was on a TV with my sister and a friend several years younger than me. Neither of them knew anything about the movie (beyond knowing it had a "shower scene"), and they were transfixed the entire time, and it made my viewing so much richer and more exciting. Seeing it for the 2nd time felt more like seeing it for the first time than seeing it for the first time did.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Wooley wrote: Sadly, I've just lost all interest in the Star Wars films. I actually don't even care how they finish this thing. I'm sure someone will tell me.
"Lost interest" describes me too. I don't actively dislike any of it, but just stopped caring. (I mean, I actively dislike that Solo exists on principle, but I haven't watched it.)
So I watched the trailer at work on Friday and thought "ok, cool" and went about my day. It wasn't until that evening when my brother asked if I'd seen the trailer, and actually wanted to discuss it, that I remembered that getting excited about these movies was a thing we used to do. I didn't want to rain on his parade so I dutifully chatted with him about it but secretly wasn't that interested.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:I seem to remember more people liking The Last Jedi when it came out. I thought it was a disappointment. It's hard to fathom how something like Star Wars could have gone from cultural icon to that.
I thought it was a terrible disappointment. No interest in seeing it again or seeing any more like it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 pm

I may be alone on this but both Solo and Free Solo were among my favorites of last year.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:19 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I may be alone on this but both Solo and Free Solo were among my favorites of last year.
You must be excited for the last film in the trilogy, Buy One Get One Free Solo.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Rock wrote: You must be excited for the last film in the trilogy, Buy One Get One Free Solo.
They officially changed the title to Solo Cup.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 am

Psycho is perfection.

The Last Jedi was a weird jumble of things I didn't like. But at least it was a curious thing. Probably terrible, but curious.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:08 am

Macrology wrote:My second viewing of Psycho is one of my favorite film viewing experiences. When I first watched it, I definitely enjoyed it, but as someone already well versed in movie history I knew where things were going before I'd ever seen it. The second time I watched it was on a TV with my sister and a friend several years younger than me. Neither of them knew anything about the movie (beyond knowing it had a "shower scene"), and they were transfixed the entire time, and it made my viewing so much richer and more exciting. Seeing it for the 2nd time felt more like seeing it for the first time than seeing it for the first time did.
Very cool that you were able to experience that.

------

I liked The Last Jedi; think I'm one of the few on this forum that holds it in any esteem. New trailer did little for me. Never been a fan of Abrams, except maybe his first Trek movie. (I don't think Lost qualifies, since he helped with the premise and pilot and then moved on to other things. Great pilot, though.)
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 am

DaMU wrote:
I liked The Last Jedi; think I'm one of the few on this forum that holds it in any esteem. New trailer did little for me. Never been a fan of Abrams, except maybe his first Trek movie. (I don't think Lost qualifies, since he helped with the premise and pilot and then moved on to other things. Great pilot, though.)
I am intrigued.
I finally watched the trailer and it made me wonder if maybe Abrams could actually save the trilogy from Johnson's disaster.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 am

Did you ever watch RLM's full review of the Psycho franchise (yes, not just the original, but the oft-forgotten sequels as well)? Great stuff, yo:

ThatDarnMKS wrote:In Cold Blood was excellent, wasn't it?
It sure was.

:D
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks for the link! Should really watch the sequels one of these days.
NOTE:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Psycho 2 is one of the few legitimately great horror sequels.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I wrote a lengthier than intended, spoiler free review of Master Z: the Ip Man Legacy on letterbox'd if anyone is curious about the film.

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/mas ... an-legacy/
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm

I'm a fan of the first two, especially the second one, aka Chinese Rocky IV. I still have to watch the third one.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Rock wrote:I'm a fan of the first two, especially the second one, aka Chinese Rocky IV. I still have to watch the third one.
Definitely watch the third one first (Mike Tyson!) as this one is based on a character in it. I think you'd dig them both.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 am

Captain Marvel - 8/10

Thank you, Stan.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 am

I'll Be Seeing You

I really enjoyed this one.

Zach (Joseph Cotten) is a soldier on a 10 day leave recovering from a bayonet wound. He's recovered physically, but he's struggling mentally and emotionally with PTSD. Mary (Ginger Rogers) is on leave from the prison where she's been serving time. The two meet on a train, neither knowing the other's story. Taken by Mary, Zach impulsively rides the train all the way to her hometown and becomes close with her family. As the two begin to fall in love, they each see in the other the chance at a future they hadn't been able to imagine in their current state.

Both characters are incredibly sympathetic and easy to root for. We learn relatively quickly that Mary is in jail for
manslaughter, after accidentally killing a man who was trying to rape her (she blames herself for not having escaped sooner after he tricks her into coming to his place under pretense of a big party, which, gross).
Zach is soft-spoken and very likable, but he is constantly being bombarded by people who want to talk about his war experience or ask his opinion "as a soldier". His service is a source of both pride and anxiety for him, and several times during the film he suffers mild to severe panic attacks.

The real suspense in the film is all to do with when/how Zach will discover the truth about Mary and how he will react. The end has a nice reversal of tropes as Zach
tells Mary that he will wait for her, the line that the female love interest usually speaks to the solder ready to leave for action.
This was just a very sweet movie. There were no villains, and for the most part the people who know about Mary's situation treat her with respect. Both characters are recovering from a trauma, and there's something really powerful about the way that such a simple love story is loaded with land mines: loud noises spooking Zach or Mary not knowing how to cope when
Zach gives her the same type of flower that she was wearing when her assailant tried to rape her.
There's also a fun turn from a teenage Shirley Temple as Mary's younger sister Barbara.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:07 am

I have about 20 minutes left of The Night Porter, and I just can't make myself go back to finish it. I feel like it's about 35% brilliant and 65% garbage. There's all this upsetting content and for every moment that feels insightful there's another that comes off as more exploitative or nonsensical.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 am

It's well acted and well shot garbage, but Ripley's Game from the same director is very good.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 am

Rock wrote:It's well acted and well shot garbage, but Ripley's Game from the same director is very good.
I've heard good things about Ripley's Game.

But with The Night Porter I'm like "This?". Maybe I just need to read more about the impact of the film. Generally speaking I find "vulnerable people sexploitation" (prisoners, captives, etc) a pretty gross sub-genre. I think that the idea of exploring the complicated emotions of a sexual relationship that emerges from abuse is an interesting one. But the way it's done here feels . . . disrespectful.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I've heard good things about Ripley's Game.

But with The Night Porter I'm like "This?". Maybe I just need to read more about the impact of the film. Generally speaking I find "vulnerable people sexploitation" (prisoners, captives, etc) a pretty gross sub-genre. I think that the idea of exploring the complicated emotions of a sexual relationship that emerges from abuse is an interesting one. But the way it's done here feels . . . disrespectful.
I think a big part of the problem is that the Holocaust flashback scenes have a really cheap softcore vibe to them, so that the transgressive element of the relationship feels insincere or unearned. The conspiracy plot to wring cheap pathos out of their relationship is an added insult.
____
Blog!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 am

Lady Snowblood - I can see why this was such a big influence on Tarantino's Kill Bill movies. Especially The House of Blue Leaves stuff. Right down to the stratospheric jets of blood and the chapter title cards. I used to live for this kind of stuff when I was a kid so I'm a bit surprised I had never watched this before. All in all a good, solid revenge tale. Grade C+.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Kind Hearts and Coronets is a delightful, not to mention delightfully British, dark comedy. A none-too-subtle jab at British aristocracy, it follows Louis, a young man who is the only product of a love match in his wealthy family, as he murders everyone ahead of him in line for a Dukedom. Louis's motivations are not borne from prestige, but from revenge for he and his mother being mistreated for little more than not following their family's courtship rules. Price is very good as Louis, but it's Alec Guinness, who plays every other member in the line of succession, who steals the show. Each of his characterizations and their associated slayings are as entertaining as they likely were for the actors and filmmakers to pull off, my favorite being the gravel-voiced, caviar-loving Boer War veteran. That the movie ends with a twist that puts all of M. Night Shyamalan's to shame is the icing on the scone.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Torgo wrote:Kind Hearts and Coronets is a delightful, not to mention delightfully British, dark comedy. A none-too-subtle jab at British aristocracy, it follows Louis, a young man who is the only product of a love match in his wealthy family, as he murders everyone ahead of him in line for a Dukedom. Louis's motivations are not borne from prestige, but from revenge for he and his mother being mistreated for little more than not following their family's courtship rules. Price is very good as Louis, but it's Alec Guinness, who plays every other member in the line of succession, who steals the show. Each of his characterizations and their associated slayings are as entertaining as they likely were for the actors and filmmakers to pull off, my favorite being the gravel-voiced, caviar-loving Boer War veteran. That the movie ends with a twist that puts all of M. Night Shyamalan's to shame is the icing on the scone.
Yeah, it's pretty fun.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:28 am

Torgo wrote:Kind Hearts and Coronets is a delightful, not to mention delightfully British, dark comedy. A none-too-subtle jab at British aristocracy, it follows Louis, a young man who is the only product of a love match in his wealthy family, as he murders everyone ahead of him in line for a Dukedom. Louis's motivations are not borne from prestige, but from revenge for he and his mother being mistreated for little more than not following their family's courtship rules. Price is very good as Louis, but it's Alec Guinness, who plays every other member in the line of succession, who steals the show. Each of his characterizations and their associated slayings are as entertaining as they likely were for the actors and filmmakers to pull off, my favorite being the gravel-voiced, caviar-loving Boer War veteran. That the movie ends with a twist that puts all of M. Night Shyamalan's to shame is the icing on the scone.

Guinness is amazing in that.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.