Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:51 am

Society is just a wonderful bit of gross. Yuzna is becoming a director I look out for. I have an extended cut of Faust waiting to go.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 am

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films is entertaining and breezy if never that in-depth or insightful. There are some pretty good anecdotes (like Franco Nero getting the lead role in Enter the Ninja because they found him at a restaurant during the Manila Film Festival) and the various Menahem Golan impressions are amusing. It also makes me want to watch Breakin', so there's that. I must however dispute its claim that the first Missing in Action is better than the second. I've rented Machete Maidens Unleashed! from the same director so I'll be getting to that in the next few days.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 am

Rock wrote:Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films is entertaining and breezy if never that in-depth or insightful. There are some pretty good anecdotes (like Franco Nero getting the lead role in Enter the Ninja because they found him at a restaurant during the Manila Film Festival) and the various Menahem Golan impressions are amusing. It also makes me want to watch Breakin', so there's that. I must however dispute its claim that the first Missing in Action is better than the second. I've rented Machete Maidens Unleashed! from the same director so I'll be getting to that in the next few days.
I haven't watched the MIA films since I was a wee lad. The Delta Forces were a fairly disappointing rewatch but I found myself agreeing with my childhood self that DF2 was superior due to the inclusion of Billy Drago. How comparable are those two?

Best Norris/Cannon collaboration is and will forever be Invasion USA
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Society is just a wonderful bit of gross. Yuzna is becoming a director I look out for. I have an extended cut of Faust waiting to go.
Love Society. It also had a really good director commentary.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Love Society. It also had a really good director commentary.
I may just watch it. I was planning on watching the Q&A on the Arrow Blu but ended up shoring up some Universal horror films instead in preparation for my werewolf script.

I'm a sucker for paranoia proven right films and Society went so far with it's audacious imagery that I couldn't help but like it a ton. Have you seen the Bride of Re-Animator?
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 am

I don't know if we're gonna see eye-to-eye on this as my opinions on The Delta Force (haven't seen the second) and Invasion U.S.A. differ from yours, but Missing in Action 2 is a smaller scale (by overblown '80s standards) POW thriller that to me holds up pretty distinctly. It's also got a decent fight at the end between Norris and Soon Tek-Oh. The first one is sorta dumb fun and M. Emmet Walsh fires a machine gun in a Hawaiian shirt, but makes you realize how well made Rambo: First Blood Part II is in comparison. The worst part are all the lame stealth scenes in which the bad guys never bother to turn around and catch Norris in plain sight. The third one is fucking terrible, and the Aaron Norris factor makes me wary of Delta Force 2.

As for The Delta Force, it might be my favourite Norris that I've seen. (Or at least tied with Lone Wolf McQuade, although it's an Under Siege / Out for Justice situation, in that the former is probably better assembled but the latter is a better showcase for the star's strengths.) It's a movie that I first found a bit long but now actually like how seamlessly it shifts from hostage thriller to run-and-gun action movie and I think there's a real urgency in the pacing, and surprisingly manages to be both over-the-top but also grounded in some grit thanks to the location work. And considering how badly its politics and portrayal of Arabs should hold up, I do like that Robert Forster's villain is an actual character whose motivations the movie puts some effort into sketching out.

I probably owe Invasion U.S.A. another chance as I found it veered a bit too far into stupidity without the genuine qualities of some of those other films, but the part where Norris drives down the street and gets yelled at by an entire block of people made me laugh pretty hard. I guess it's better than Red Dawn at least.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 am

Aaron Norris < Frank Stallone
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am

Although as far as movies with Hanna Schygulla set in the Middle East go, The Delta Force is not as good as Circle of Deceit.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I may just watch it. I was planning on watching the Q&A on the Arrow Blu but ended up shoring up some Universal horror films instead in preparation for my werewolf script.

I'm a sucker for paranoia proven right films and Society went so far with it's audacious imagery that I couldn't help but like it a ton. Have you seen the Bride of Re-Animator?
Yup. I'm a bit hazy on details, but I remember quite liking it.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 am

Bride of Re-Animator is good stuff, although I prefer the less broad stylings of the first film. I probably should see Beyond Re-Animator at some point.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 am

Rock wrote:I don't know if we're gonna see eye-to-eye on this as my opinions on The Delta Force (haven't seen the second) and Invasion U.S.A. differ from yours, but Missing in Action 2 is a smaller scale (by overblown '80s standards) POW thriller that to me holds up pretty distinctly. It's also got a decent fight at the end between Norris and Soon Tek-Oh. The first one is sorta dumb fun and M. Emmet Walsh fires a machine gun in a Hawaiian shirt, but makes you realize how well made Rambo: First Blood Part II is in comparison. The worst part are all the lame stealth scenes in which the bad guys never bother to turn around and catch Norris in plain sight. The third one is fucking terrible, and the Aaron Norris factor makes me wary of Delta Force 2.

As for The Delta Force, it might be my favourite Norris that I've seen. (Or at least tied with Lone Wolf McQuade, although it's an Under Siege / Out for Justice situation, in that the former is probably better assembled but the latter is a better showcase for the star's strengths.) It's a movie that I first found a bit long but now actually like how seamlessly it shifts from hostage thriller to run-and-gun action movie and I think there's a real urgency in the pacing, and surprisingly manages to be both over-the-top but also grounded in some grit thanks to the location work. And considering how badly its politics and portrayal of Arabs should hold up, I do like that Robert Forster's villain is an actual character whose motivations the movie puts some effort into sketching out.

I probably owe Invasion U.S.A. another chance as I found it veered a bit too far into stupidity without the genuine qualities of some of those other films, but the part where Norris drives down the street and gets yelled at by an entire block of people made me laugh pretty hard. I guess it's better than Red Dawn at least.
Saying Delta Force is better than Invasion USA is like saying Death Wish 2 is better than Death Wish 3.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Saying Delta Force is better than Invasion USA is like saying Death Wish 2 is better than Death Wish 3.
You take that back!

Although Death Wish 2 is probably better than Braddock: Missing in Action III.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 am

Rock wrote: You take that back!

Although Death Wish 2 is probably better than Braddock: Missing in Action III.
A fan of Death Wish 3 that isn't a fan of Invasion USA is a person with lies in their heart.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:06 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: A fan of Death Wish 3 that isn't a fan of Invasion USA is a person with lies in their heart.
This is the Death Wish 2 of Cannon Films opinions.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 am

Rock wrote: This is the Death Wish 2 of Cannon Films opinions.
And that opinion is the Death Wish V: Angel of Death of opinions about Cannon Group opinions.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 am

lol I've only seen 1-4. I take it the 5th isn't worth my time? Also, have you seen the Roth remake and is it any good?
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 am

Rock wrote:lol I've only seen 1-4. I take it the 5th isn't worth my time? Also, have you seen the Roth remake and is it any good?
I'm a fan to some degree of all DW films including 5 and the Roth film. I disgust me.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: I'm a fan to some degree of all DW films including 5 and the Roth film. I disgust me.
I watched the Roth film last week. Willis looks ridiculous in a hoodie but there's a scene where a mechanic is listening to a song from the Stunt Rock soundtrack so it's all good.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 am

Rock wrote:Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films is entertaining and breezy if never that in-depth or insightful. There are some pretty good anecdotes (like Franco Nero getting the lead role in Enter the Ninja because they found him at a restaurant during the Manila Film Festival) and the various Menahem Golan impressions are amusing. It also makes me want to watch Breakin', so there's that. I must however dispute its claim that the first Missing in Action is better than the second. I've rented Machete Maidens Unleashed! from the same director so I'll be getting to that in the next few days.
I really enjoyed this, probably because I grew up on all these movies. I don't think there was a movie in the doc that I hadn't seen. And I loved those movies.
I thought Machete Maidens Unleashed was really good too.
And MIA > MIA2.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Society is just a wonderful bit of gross. Yuzna is becoming a director I look out for. I have an extended cut of Faust waiting to go.
Another thumbs up, here, for Society.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:57 pm

"Four Lions" -(8/10)

Four inept jihadists made better with the aid of British slapstick.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm

The Equalizer 2 - First of all I think Denzel Washington is his usual awesome self in this. But I'm a big fan. Keep that in mind if you decide to try this. Because aside from him there's not a lot going on script wise. The bad guy is easily spotted before the big reveal and the villains aren't as interesting as the Russia mafia in the first but at least there isn't that weak "highly trained government assassin working at Home Depot" arc. Again, Washington is fully engaged and does a great job of selling the story whenever he's onscreen. The latest everyman actor Pedro Pascal is also in this along with Melissa Leo, an actress I always notice (starting with her role as Sgt. Kay Howard in Homicide: Life on the Street). Grade B-.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 pm

John Dumbear wrote: "Four Lions" -(8/10)

Four inept jihadists made better with the aid of British slapstick.
I laughed very hard while watching this film.

Especially the sequences when they're at the training camp.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Watched Son of Dracula.

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/son-of-dracula/
Interesting take. You're probably not wrong, but I tend to let Chaney's blandness color my reception to the film. Now you've got me wanting to watch it again with your comments in mind.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 am

Machete Maidens Unleashed! was good stuff, and like Electric Boogaloo is has a great balance of appreciation, irreverence and genuine interest regarding its subject matter. I think I liked it a bit more than that one as it focuses more on the actual production circumstances while the other film has a bit more on the business/administrative side (which I don't find quite as interesting). I'm also less familiar with the films covered here (the only one I've seen is Apocalypse Now) so it was more useful for recommendations. Thinking I should get to Not Quite Hollywood soon and round out the "trilogy".
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:16 am

Rock wrote:Machete Maidens Unleashed! was good stuff, and like Electric Boogaloo is has a great balance of appreciation, irreverence and genuine interest regarding its subject matter. I think I liked it a bit more than that one as it focuses more on the actual production circumstances while the other film has a bit more on the business/administrative side (which I don't find quite as interesting). I'm also less familiar with the films covered here (the only one I've seen is Apocalypse Now) so it was more useful for recommendations. Thinking I should get to Not Quite Hollywood soon and round out the "trilogy".
I agree with everything you've said, including your last sentence.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:41 am

Captain Terror wrote: Interesting take. You're probably not wrong, but I tend to let Chaney's blandness color my reception to the film. Now you've got me wanting to watch it again with your comments in mind.
Thanks! I was really impressed with the visuals and it's use of shadow. The mise-en-scene was significantly more sophisticated than Browning's almost point and shoot approach to the original. It's still a bit plodding but I loved how the script basically takes a far darker turn than the "happy" ending of the original. It's one of the best endings in any Universal horror film.

And while Cheney Jr. Is a dope, I can't help but consider the guy a champ. He returned for every turn as the Wolf Man (the only iconic Monster actor to do so), played Frankenstein's monster under miserable conditions and have a shot at Dracula for good measure. I haven't done into the Mummy, Invisible Man or Creafure from the Black Lagoon series beyond their first films but I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in the titular roles when no one else did. The guy seemed to be as loyal as a dog to the franchise and I gotta respect it.

Rock- Check out the Pam Grier/Corman prison flicks, The Big Bird Cage (the best), the Big Doll House and Women in Cages. Cleopatra Wong has a few moments but isn't really worth seeking out, nor is it's more comedic sequel. I haven't seen the others in the doc.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am

The ones by Jack Hill and Eddie Romero are on my radar and look like they might be actual quality. Not sure I'm that interested in most of the other movies featured outside of novelty value.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:20 am

Rock wrote:The ones by Jack Hill and Eddie Romero are on my radar and look like they might be actual quality. Not sure I'm that interested in most of the other movies featured outside of novelty value.
They're definitely of that "Jack Hill quality" but the Big Bird Cage is one of the absolute best of its kind if not the best. Grier and Haig kill it as always.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Cheney played The Mummy twice, as well. (I watched all the Mummy Universal movies one October).
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Ghost (1990)

Watching this for the first time after Get Out exists makes one late scene (which is still very touching) has some extra unintentional creepiness.

Anyway, I never gave much thought to how much a film might strongly resemble its decade, but for the first time I couldn't stop thinking just how freakin' 90s the film feels. From its aesthetics and mysticism to the pacing and performance styles, the latter in which only Demi Moore (great) and Whoopi Goldberg (even better) escape unscathed. Maybe the 90s-ness of it extends to the plotting too, because I see almost all its murder story beats coming way too early, far before anyone even dies.

Thankfully, the film ties up this "mystery" before the film is half over, leaving the rest to be largely about Moore-Goldberg-Swayze dynamic instead, which makes the third act very satisfying with its various story pay-offs and deft tone shifts. Also, "Molly, you in danger, girl" <<< "I signed the wrong name". 6.5/10
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Wooley wrote: Cheney played The Mummy twice, as well. (I watched all the Mummy Universal movies one October).
But never the Invisible Man of the Creature? Dang. Still impressive as hell.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: But never the Invisible Man of the Creature? Dang. Still impressive as hell.
No, neither, it seems. The Creature only appeared on-screen thrice and was played by four actors (because one dude who was a diver played The Creature underwater in all 3 films).
Chaney was kinda fat by 1954 (sorry, it is what it is) and I doubt could have fit into the suit.
Ya know who did (kinda) "play" The Invisible Man...
Vincent Price
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:00 am

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - 8.5/10

So, I guess Darkseid is a metaphor for a black pimp.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:05 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote: The mise-en-scene was significantly more sophisticated than Browning's almost point and shoot approach to the original.
Have you seen the Melford version? I highly recommend that one because it illustrates what Lugosi's could have been like had it been filmed with a bit more flair. (Not dissing the Browning version. I love them both for different reasons)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 pm

I always thought the Browning version was intentionally filmed like a play, which the material was.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 pm

topherH wrote:Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - 8.5/10

So, I guess Darkseid is a metaphor for a black pimp.

"Darkseid's biggest problem is that there are no women where he was from. He owned an entire planet, giant statues shaped like him, a huge army of space ships, and he still couldn't get a girl. Besides his freaky sidekicks, the only things that live on Apokalips are flying monkeys and crappy robots. It's why almost every single one of his plans was just him trying to get laid.

It kind of looked like he was trying to conquer us. He would hold the world hostage with an armada of space ships, but then he'd come on everybody's TV and say, 'I will spare your puny planet IF! ... Wonder Woman promises to become my bride.'

That's why we hated his creepy ass so much. Lex Luthor tried to kill us and make us his slaves, but at least he wasn't a date rapist."

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Have you seen the Melford version? I highly recommend that one because it illustrates what Lugosi's could have been like had it been filmed with a bit more flair. (Not dissing the Browning version. I love them both for different reasons)
Yes. That one was frustrating because it had the dopiest most unthreatening Dracula's imaginable. I wish I could combine them and see what happens but I agree, Melford definitely directed with more flair. Browning must have been asleep because he.outdid himself with Freaks.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Wooley wrote:I always thought the Browning version was intentionally filmed like a play, which the material was.
For sure, but I wonder if that was necessary. Whale's Frankenstein was similarly based on a play, but Whale played it more dynamically, and Browning himself was capable of more imaginative direction in The Unknown and Freaks. The question is, what is gained by lensing it like a stage play? And what might be lost?
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
topherH

Post by topherH » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Death Proof wrote:

"Darkseid's biggest problem is that there are no women where he was from. He owned an entire planet, giant statues shaped like him, a huge army of space ships, and he still couldn't get a girl. Besides his freaky sidekicks, the only things that live on Apokalips are flying monkeys and crappy robots. It's why almost every single one of his plans was just him trying to get laid.

It kind of looked like he was trying to conquer us. He would hold the world hostage with an armada of space ships, but then he'd come on everybody's TV and say, 'I will spare your puny planet IF! ... Wonder Woman promises to become my bride.'

That's why we hated his creepy ass so much. Lex Luthor tried to kill us and make us his slaves, but at least he wasn't a date rapist."
This makes sense. These Animated DC movies are a little better than I was expecting.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 pm

So Darkseid was the first incel? Who knew? Not I.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:35 am

Granny Goodness and the Furies throw a wrench into this Darkseid interpretation.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 am

Stuntman Mike. Now there was an incel.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:31 am

Harold Lauder in The Stand (both nove and film) is peak incel, especially the classic "why can't this bitch see what a nice guy I am" model. Vintage.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:02 pm

topherH wrote:
This makes sense. These Animated DC movies are a little better than I was expecting.

http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:03 pm

topherH wrote:Stuntman Mike. Now there was an incel.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Let's not forget Rodney Snodgrass from The Spirit of '76.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Something Wild (80s version) was so off-putting in its first half. Maybe it's just that people skipping out on checks or stealing from grocery stores has never been something that I found to be quirky or cute or some adorable form of mini-rebellion. I'm sorry, but how does stealing from a waitress earning less than minimum wage make you any kind of "rebel"?

Things improve considerably when Ray Liotta shows up to punch these horrible people in the face (though he does also steal--and we can tell that he's the bad kind of thief because he punches someone in the course of his robbery).

Also, there are at least two times that black people are used as a live "soundtrack", but in the whole course of the film there's only one person of color (that I remember) who is actually allowed to have a line of dialogue (a waitress who the main characters "hilariously" rob).

Boo, I say. Boo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Wooley wrote: Cheney played The Mummy twice, as well. (I watched all the Mummy Universal movies one October).
He played him in 3 movies! All the Kharif films except the Mummy's Hand. Just finished them up. I enjoyed them all far more than the Karloff original and they seem to be what really set in stone the idea of what a Mummy film should function as, with their legacy echoing strongly throughout Hammer and the Frasier Universal flicks.

I really like that they kept the Mummy as a damn mummy and didn't go for a rip off Dracula plot like Karloff. They've got a ton of hilariously strange choices, like the chronology with Hand taking place in the 40's, Tomb and Ghost taking place 30 years later (that's right, it's the 70s!) and Curse taking place 20 years after that (90's baby!) while doing absolutely nothing to adjust the appearance of time period beyond the 40s. So... Was it a sliding timeline that kept pushing the previous films further into the past or was it just a bleak outlook for human advancement?

Regardless, they're all about a breezy single hour in run time and feature some swell Mummy strong arm chokes. These Universal sequels have a much better batting average than I anticipated.