Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
DaMU

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 pm

You all keep spelling it and quoting it as "Cheney" instead of "Chaney," and all I can think is Dick Cheney as the Mummy would be no worse than the Cruise flick and definitely more interesting.

Can we get...

Christian Bale as Dick Cheney as the Mummy?
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Oh and the newest Hobbs & Shaw trailer is fucking batshit and exhausting to watch. I can only imagine what sitting through the movie would be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7PAyCDwEg
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: He played him in 3 movies! All the Kharif films except the Mummy's Hand. Just finished them up. I enjoyed them all far more than the Karloff original and they seem to be what really set in stone the idea of what a Mummy film should function as, with their legacy echoing strongly throughout Hammer and the Frasier Universal flicks.

I really like that they kept the Mummy as a damn mummy and didn't go for a rip off Dracula plot like Karloff. They've got a ton of hilariously strange choices, like the chronology with Hand taking place in the 40's, Tomb and Ghost taking place 30 years later (that's right, it's the 70s!) and Curse taking place 20 years after that (90's baby!) while doing absolutely nothing to adjust the appearance of time period beyond the 40s. So... Was it a sliding timeline that kept pushing the previous films further into the past or was it just a bleak outlook for human advancement?

Regardless, they're all about a breezy single hour in run time and feature some swell Mummy strong arm chokes. These Universal sequels have a much better batting average than I anticipated.
You're right, I forgot that was him in Mummy's Tomb. Agree about the Karloff Mummy movie. But The Mummy's Hand is terrible.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am

Man, Logan was borderline too much for me. Like many, I appreciated the more no-hold-barred action and thematic material that come with the R rating.

But about halfway through the film when there were horses loose on a highway and it's super obvious that
Professor X and Logan are probably going to die
my anxiety ratcheted up to about a 9 and didn't come down for the rest of the film.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:36 am

Wooley wrote: You're right, I forgot that was him in Mummy's Tomb. Agree about the Karloff Mummy movie. But The Mummy's Hand is terrible.
I think the Mummy's Hand is decent. It's only an hour and 10 or so mins so the fact that there's no mummy action for the first 40 is sorta dull and painful but once the Mummy action starts, it endeared and entertained me far more than Karloff's flick.

DaMU, who am I to question the infinite wisdom of autocorrect? It says Dick Cheney played famous movie monsters and it's self correcting. That's what autocorrect means.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:37 am

Takoma1 wrote:Man, Logan was borderline too much for me. Like many, I appreciated the more no-hold-barred action and thematic material that come with the R rating.

But about halfway through the film when there were horses loose on a highway and it's super obvious that
my anxiety ratcheted up to about a 9 and didn't come down for the rest of the film.
I thought that a certain reveal shortly after that deflated the most emotional moment of the film and it became fairly hamfisted for the rest of it's climactic act. That and the stupid cell phone documentary hamper the whole ordeal which is frustratingly close to that covered Dark Knight tier comic book film for me.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:40 am

The Curse of La Llorona, 2019 (C)

Jump scares and nothing else. Monster is forgettable. Formula is very readable. Skip at your own convenience.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:41 am

I wondered if you'd catch on to the Mummy's weird chronology. Took me years of watching them before I ever noticed.
But yeah, even though they're all pretty slight and are basically interchangeable, they deliver exactly what they're meant to deliver. A shambling mummy strangling people. Ain't nuttin' wrong with that.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 am

Captain Terror wrote:I wondered if you'd catch on to the Mummy's weird chronology. Took me years of watching them before I ever noticed.
But yeah, even though they're all pretty slight and are basically interchangeable, they deliver exactly what they're meant to deliver. A shambling mummy strangling people. Ain't nuttin' wrong with that.
Which is exactly why I loved Hammer's the Mummy's Shroud and consider it among their most underappreciated works. That Mummy is just there to fuck shit up and tear shit down. No frills. Just an unstoppable mummy breaking necks and covering people in acid.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:31 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I think the Mummy's Hand is decent. It's only an hour and 10 or so mins so the fact that there's no mummy action for the first 40 is sorta dull and painful but once the Mummy action starts, it endeared and entertained me far more than Karloff's flick.
I really hated the ham-fisted attempt to add comedy to the proceedings.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Wooley wrote: I really hated the ham-fisted attempt to add comedy to the proceedings.
I quite like Cecil Kellaway and think the made most of the humor fairly organic just through his presence alone. That was the weakest element but the way it juxtaposed the matter of factness of the violence and horror elements was nice because it wasn't used to soften them but rather heighten them. The scene where Wallace Ford's character counts to 3 was one of the most memorable moments of badassery in all of Universal horror and that earns it some big points right there.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:10 am

Takoma1 wrote:Man, Logan was borderline too much for me. Like many, I appreciated the more no-hold-barred action and thematic material that come with the R rating.

Yeah, but that sort of sheer emotional honesty/brutality is exactly the reason why Logan ended up being the 2nd best movie I saw from 2017, and made it the biggest game-changer for Superhero movies since the aforementioned Dark Knight, which is saying something:

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I thought that a certain reveal shortly after that deflated the most emotional moment of the film and it became fairly hamfisted for the rest of it's climactic act. That and the stupid cell phone documentary hamper the whole ordeal which is frustratingly close to that covered Dark Knight tier comic book film for me.
I'm assuming you're talking about when it turned out that it was the
evil Spock version of Logan that was in the room the whole time when Professor X was confessing he remembered killing people in "the Westchester incident"? I don't see how that reveal deflates that scene, as most of its emotion derives from the pain & guilt Xavier is expressing individually, and I doubt the real Logan would've added much if he'd been there to respond verbally (he wasn't the emotionally supportive type in that movie much, so I doubt he'd have much to contribute anyway, and his character arc in the film continued on perfectly with his heartbroken reaction to Xavier's death, and his uneasy continued relationship with X-23 anyway), and even if he'd just been silently listening/reacting at all, in a way, it's more tragic if the real Logan wasn't there to hear X's confession, as that's the kind of lack of traditionally satisfying emotional closure that we experience so often in real life, the kind that Superhero movies are often pretty hesitant to engage in, and what Mangold utillizes brilliantly to make Logan so good, and so different from anything else in the genre. In fact, the second time I watched it, I still got wrapped up in Xavier's monologue even with the newfound dread at the coming reveal lurking in the back of my mind, which speaks to the skill Mangold executed that scene (which was reflected in the movie as a whole), that it played just as emotionally potent even with that newfound foreknowledge upon rewatch.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:25 am

Stu wrote:Yeah, but that sort of sheer emotional honesty/brutality is exactly the reason why Logan ended up being the 2nd best movie I saw from 2017, and made it the biggest game-changer for Superhero movies since the aforementioned Dark Knight, which is saying something:

evil Spock version of Logan that was in the room the whole time when Professor X was confessing he remembered killing people in "the Westchester incident"? I don't see how that reveal deflates that scene, as most of its emotion derives from the pain & guilt Xavier is expressing individually, and I doubt the real Logan would've added much if he'd been there to respond verbally (he wasn't the emotionally supportive type in that movie much, so I doubt he'd have much to contribute anyway, and his character arc in the film continued on perfectly with his heartbroken reaction to Xavier's death, and his uneasy continued relationship with X-23 anyway), and even if he'd just been silently listening/reacting at all, in a way, it's more tragic if the real Logan wasn't there to hear X's confession, as that's the kind of lack of traditionally satisfying emotional closure that we experience so often in real life, the kind that Superhero movies are often pretty hesitant to engage in, and what Mangold utillizes brilliantly to make Logan so good, and so different from anything else in the genre. In fact, the second time I watched it, I still got wrapped up in Xavier's monologue even with the newfound dread at the coming reveal lurking in the back of my mind, which speaks to the skill Mangold executed that scene (which was reflected in the movie as a whole), that it played just as emotionally potent even with that newfound foreknowledge upon rewatch.
It breaks the dramatic direction and truth of the scene in favor of audience disorientation, shock and plot reveal (is it a dream? Has he gone bad?). It's jarring and the decision to make THAT the big bad, while thematically sound, is a lame choice to do when a perfectly good, carries the same theme villain like Sabertooth already exists.

If I try to make you sad, then jump scare you, I've betrayed the original purpose of the scene and that jump scare better be worth it. In Logan, the analogous scene shoots itself in the foot and doesn't give a good enough reason to do so. If they'd let that ride and not used it to punctuate a surprise, it would have been a great scene. But they didn't. So it isn't.

Then the whole climax is silly schlock that feels like Simon Kinberg drafted it on a bad day.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:47 am

DaMU wrote:Don't normally do this, but I'm partially through the '90s fantasy flick Dragonheart, and it took too long to get to this point, but after about 30-odd minutes of self-serious overscored dreck (dramatically clear if never engaging), it's turned into a weird sitcom-level satire of itself, with Quaid and Connery as an odd couple and the early CG effects by now so quaint that they almost turn back on themselves and add to the goofball energy. I'm not saying any of this is defensible or even all that good (it's less clever than Zemeckis' Beowulf), but at least the flick's got character now.
It only took a month and a half to catch up with this and finish it, but I'm glad I did. Not because the movie's great, but because it keeps some of that cockeyed attitude for a good while, and because the film actually intends to make a point about the problem of war and righteous violence (the villain's final moments are not played as a victory for the hero but as a tragedy for both parties). And it even chases some actual real whimsy at the end. I don't think it gets there, but it tries, damn it.

Honestly, this is the kind of movie that I think could really benefit from a remake. There are some good ideas and a sort of sub-Python self-awareness, and the core character dynamic holds strong. Not deep at all, it's melodrama, but it's functional melodrama. I bet if you sped up the first act, lengthened the second, turned the volume down a little more, and add a touch more to the supporting cast (Postlewhaite as a monk wrestling with a time of violence, Meyer as a not-quite Joan of Arc revolutionary), this could be a fantasy classic instead of a fun-enough camp '90s movie.

Someone should Miyazaki this premise.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 am

Stu wrote:Yeah, but that sort of sheer emotional honesty/brutality is exactly the reason why Logan ended up being the 2nd best movie I saw from 2017, and made it the biggest game-changer for Superhero movies since the aforementioned Dark Knight, which is saying something:

Logan was a nice depressing film, but no one has outdone Alan Moore in tapping the outer limits of the genre.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:21 pm

The hell is this phpBB stuff? Forums are dead, RIP
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:21 pm
The hell is this phpBB stuff? Forums are dead, RIP
Complaints about formatting and lamenting the demise of the forum? Seems like the good old days...
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 pm
Complaints about formatting and lamenting the demise of the forum? Seems like the good old days...
It's better now but yeesh Corrie 1.5 would've been death. Dark mode is a nice improvement
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 pm

BlacKkKlansman - Given the subject matter this is a surprisingly funny movie. But I suppose given the subject matter it would more or less have to be. Two plus hours of this would have been nigh on unendurable. There's something about watching openly racist and repugnant characters hold forth that seems unwholesome and aberrant. Not to mention depressing. Spike Lee knows this better than anyone and I'm not sure if there's anyone else that could have directed something like this successfully. Great cast all around. With Denzel Washington's son and Steve Buscemi's brother. And Adam Driver keeps up his string of impressive performances. Topher Grace also surprises as David Duke.

Grade B
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:It breaks the dramatic direction and truth of the scene in favor of audience disorientation, shock and plot reveal (is it a dream? Has he gone bad?). It's jarring and the decision to make THAT the big bad, while thematically sound, is a lame choice to do when a perfectly good, carries the same theme villain like Sabertooth already exists.

If I try to make you sad, then jump scare you, I've betrayed the original purpose of the scene and that jump scare better be worth it. In Logan, the analogous scene shoots itself in the foot and doesn't give a good enough reason to do so. If they'd let that ride and not used it to punctuate a surprise, it would have been a great scene. But they didn't. So it isn't.

Then the whole climax is silly schlock that feels like Simon Kinberg drafted it on a bad day.
The scene is definitely an example of extreme tonal whiplash, but it's one of the rare good ones, as Mangold went all in on both tones, rendering them all the more impactful; we go from
extreme emotion to the extreme horror of someone who appears to be Logan suddenly stabbing Xavier, brutally murdering the farmer family, and abducting X-23, putting us in exact mindset of someone who was experiencing such an sudden, brutal attack, and the only way I can think of that the transition could've broken the scene would be if the shock of the reveal cut the emotion of the scene short in some pointless/gratitious manner, which it does not, as the scene plays out in a leisurely manner for a good minute & 45 seconds before the presence of X-24 is revealed, and Xavier's moment is given more than enough room to breath on its own, and make its full emotional impact.

It just strikes me as odd to be criticizing that scene in that manner, when there are similar scenes in more recent Superhero movies that attempt tonal whiplash in a much worse fashion, like the constant abuse of jump moments in Ackwardman, or the scene in Infinity War where we barely get any time catching up narratively and emotionally with what's been going on with Scarlet Witch & Vision's relationship for the last 2 (completely off-screen) years, just before he gets attacked, cutting off some potentially good character development disappointingly short; talk about "betraying the original purpose of the scene", eh?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 am

Stu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:04 am
The scene is definitely an example of extreme tonal whiplash, but it's one of the rare good ones, as Mangold went all in on both tones, rendering them all the more impactful; we go from
extreme emotion to the extreme horror of someone who appears to be Logan suddenly stabbing Xavier, brutally murdering the farmer family, and abducting X-23, putting us in exact mindset of someone who was experiencing such an sudden, brutal attack, and the only way I can think of that the transition could've broken the scene would be if the shock of the reveal cut the emotion of the scene short in some pointless/gratitious manner, which it does not, as the scene plays out in a leisurely manner for a good minute & 45 seconds before the presence of X-24 is revealed, and Xavier's moment is given more than enough room to breath on its own, and make its full emotional impact.

It just strikes me as odd to be criticizing that scene in that manner, when there are similar scenes in more recent Superhero movies that attempt tonal whiplash in a much worse fashion, like the constant abuse of jump moments in Ackwardman, or the scene in Infinity War where we barely get any time catching up narratively and emotionally with what's been going on with Scarlet Witch & Vision's relationship for the last 2 (completely off-screen) years, just before he gets attacked, cutting off some potentially good character development disappointingly short; talk about "betraying the original purpose of the scene", eh?
It does exactly that for disappointing antagonist. The dramatic beat had not played out before it's cut short with the surprise.

I'm criticizing it more than Infinity War because I don't care about Scarlet Witch or Vision half as much as I care about Patrick Stewart as Xavier. That scene is also not the second most important dramatic beat in the film that it has to hit to remain potent.

It would be closer to if Infinity War had interrupted the snap with the monster space dogs suddenly attacking everyone immediately after it occurred. But they didn't because they let the beat play out instead of favoring a cheap shock.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 am

Watched Berlin Alexanderplatz for the first time.

I didn't like something like the first seven hours, outside of a few chuckles at the nosey landlady getting the door shut on her. Then Franz had his fairy-tale scene with the three beers and a schnapps and I said to myself, "That was a good scene." After that I started to turn, in a case of Stockholm Syndrome I'm sure, and I gradually warmed to it. It had plenty of time to chip away at me in the meantime, wearing me down, hammering my reservations into a state of apathy. Of course, a lot of times, my initial impression holds out, and maybe the latter half is just more compelling. I dunno. Gunter Lamprecht constantly reminded me of Ray Winstone, a paunchy, starry-eyed brute alternately beaten down by the world and beating on the innocent. They're both great at playing the constantly harried softy-toughguy. I'm not sure the crazypants Epilogue always worked for me, but I appreciate the spirit and the Kraftwerk. I don't feel dream logic is so much RFW's strong suit as it is in a Lynch, even if they both share a similar knack for the half-serious, half-ironic melodrama. Still, good show.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 am

Iron Eagle's first half is kinda ass aside from Louis Gossett Jr. doing his thing (and dancing to James Brown), but it gets pretty fun once they start bombing the shit out of fake Libya. Or maybe I just turned off my brain.

I expect The Last American Virgin is probably pretty typical of '80s teen sex comedies in most areas (it's not a genre I'm super familiar with), but I think it works pretty well in the moments it aims for more than that, and scoring a key scene with U2's "I Will Follow" is a lot more emotionally resonant than I expected.

I guess Shin Godzilla deserves points for its satirical approach, but I found it pretty obnoxious for the most part and found its handling of the monster elements pretty lousy.

The Big Boss is pretty blah for the most part, but Fist of Fury is a big step up in both being a better made movie and making better use of its star. I think I'm due for a rewatch of Enter the Dragon soon, and probably will get to The Way of the Dragon at the same time.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:19 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 am
Iron Eagle's first half is kinda ass aside from Louis Gossett Jr. doing his thing (and dancing to James Brown), but it gets pretty fun once they start bombing the shit out of fake Libya. Or maybe I just turned off my brain.

I expect The Last American Virgin is probably pretty typical of '80s teen sex comedies in most areas (it's not a genre I'm super familiar with), but I think it works pretty well in the moments it aims for more than that, and scoring a key scene with U2's "I Will Follow" is a lot more emotionally resonant than I expected.

I guess Shin Godzilla deserves points for its satirical approach, but I found it pretty obnoxious for the most part and found its handling of the monster elements pretty lousy.

The Big Boss is pretty blah for the most part, but Fist of Fury is a big step up in both being a better made movie and making better use of its star. I think I'm due for a rewatch of Enter the Dragon soon, and probably will get to The Way of the Dragon at the same time.
I quite liked Shin Godzilla. I admitted it's approach basically being Contagion meets Godzilla. It works better if you view it as inspired by Godzilla rather than a proper Godzia movie.

The Big Boss is so lame it hurts. The cartoon cut out when he punches that dude through the wall had me convinced Wei Lo was a moron until this last month when I watched some of his wuxia flicks.

Way of the Dragon is Bruce Lee's best movie.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:19 am
I quite liked Shin Godzilla. I admitted it's approach basically being Contagion meets Godzilla. It works better if you view it as inspired by Godzilla rather than a proper Godzia movie.

The Big Boss is so lame it hurts. The cartoon cut out when he punches that dude through the wall had me convinced Wei Lo was a moron until this last month when I watched some of his wuxia flicks.

Way of the Dragon is Bruce Lee's best movie.
I'm not gonna pretend to be Godzilla purist or anything, but I do think you need to respect the genre to an extent. I flat out hated the Godzilla design and found all scenes of monster carnage to be completely limp. Perhaps if the satire had worked for me, I'd find it easier to overlook, but I found it pretty on-the-nose in that respect and ugly visual style didn't help things either.

Good to know about Way of the Dragon. I'd actually confused Fist of Fury for that one, and got confused when he didn't end up fighting Chuck Norris. (It also didn't help that the copy I watched was called The Chinese Connection, while the copy of The Big Boss was called Fists of Fury!) And yeah, The Big Boss was pretty lame, although I liked the theme music and laughed when he kicked the knife back at the guy.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:35 am

Also, have you seen Iron Eagle? Given your love of Cannon Films, this is likely right up your alley. It's like Top Gun, but way dumber and cheesier.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 am
I'm not gonna pretend to be Godzilla purist or anything, but I do think you need to respect the genre to an extent. I flat out hated the Godzilla design and found all scenes of monster carnage to be completely limp. Perhaps if the satire had worked for me, I'd find it easier to overlook, but I found it pretty on-the-nose in that respect and ugly visual style didn't help things either.

Good to know about Way of the Dragon. I'd actually confused Fist of Fury for that one, and got confused when he didn't end up fighting Chuck Norris. (It also didn't help that the copy I watched was called The Chinese Connection, while the copy of The Big Boss was called Fists of Fury!) And yeah, The Big Boss was pretty lame, although I liked the theme music and laughed when he kicked the knife back at the guy.
I liked the design aside from the stupid baby arms. I enjoyed it as an elseworld Godzilla tale (much like the extremely hit and miss Millenium era) except that this one is the only Zilla flick to act like the original doesn't exist. It worked for me as an attempt recreate what made the original function (mass hysteria, atomic analogy and subtext) and felt like the Fukashima/Typhoon allegory carried if a good distance. If I were ranking favorite Godzilla films, I'm not sure if it would break the top 10 but I think it's well worth remembering that the big guy has been in films like All Monsters Attack and Final Wars. This ain't that.

The US hysterically botched those titles and I'm fully convinced they got themselves confused and thought the Big Boss was the one they were calling the Chinese Connection and when they shipped it with the wrong film they thought "well, why waste a title as good as Fist of Fury?"

Make sure you watch the Way of the Dragon cut and not Return of the Dragon. There's some little differences that make for a less interesting flick.

I do quite like Fist of Fury and I MIGHT prefer it slightly to Enter the Dragon but I need to give them both a more recent viewing to be sure. I like Lee a lot but I consider him an icon more to being groundbreaking and dying young than great Kung Fu cinema.

Have you seen Jet Li's remake of FoF called Fist of Legend? That one is gold. The quasi-sequel remake called Legend of the Fist: the Rise of Chen Zhen is less so, though it's satisfyingly violent and Shu Qi is bewitching in that Keira Knightly in Pride and Prejudice kinda way.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:35 am
Also, have you seen Iron Eagle? Given your love of Cannon Films, this is likely right up your alley. It's like Top Gun, but way dumber and cheesier.
I believe I have but won't count it as it's been since childhood. I grew up watching Cannon films due to having a senile grandfather that unironically loved them and watched them constantly. Rewatching the Death Wish films as an adult gave me wonderful waves of rapey nostalgia. Rapey as in those films were very rapey not that my grandpa...

I had a fun childhood.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:52 am
Shu Qi is bewitching in that Keira Knightly in Pride and Prejudice kinda way.
I have no idea what this means but am already sold.
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 am
I believe I have but won't count it as it's been since childhood. I grew up watching Cannon films due to having a senile grandfather that unironically loved them and watched them constantly. Rewatching the Death Wish films as an adult gave me wonderful waves of rapey nostalgia. Rapey as in those films were very rapey not that my grandpa...

I had a fun childhood.
I do think the second half is pretty fun in terms of how much action they cram into it, but it's also got some value compared to Top Gun the same way Missing in Action or Death Wish do compared to Rambo: First Blood Part II and Dirty Harry - making you realize how much better made and less politically offensive the latter films were.
____
Blog!
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:35 am
Is that even possible?

Seriously, though, I know I saw Iron Eagle back when I was a kid, but I have no recollection at all.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:34 pm

The documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi tells the story Jiro Ono, a then-octogenarian sushi chef who runs a tiny, ten-seat restaurant in Tokyo that just so happens to have 3 Michelin stars. Having made sushi since he was a child, Jiro enjoys his job so much that he dreams about sushi - hence the title - and misses making it whenever he is on vacation. While the movie covers other topics such as the future of Jiro's shop when his son takes it over and how the increasing popularity of sushi across the world has not only been devastating to the fish population, but has made crafting high-quality sushi more difficult, its focus is on the mysteries of what makes Jiro tick and the secrets of his success. Thankfully, the movie leaves the answers up to the viewer, and if you ask me, we should all be so lucky to find a skill we're so passionate about improving and enjoy exercising that we would want to do nothing but that. All in all, it's a fine documentary that's as simple, skilled and elegant as Jiro's lifestyle.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Return of the Living Dead (O'Bannon, 1985)
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 pm

i watched goldeneye nerrr nurrr
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 am
I've always been a fan despite its rough edges.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:34 pm
The documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi tells the story Jiro Ono, a then-octogenarian sushi chef who runs a tiny, ten-seat restaurant in Tokyo that just so happens to have 3 Michelin stars. Having made sushi since he was a child, Jiro enjoys his job so much that he dreams about sushi - hence the title - and misses making it whenever he is on vacation. While the movie covers other topics such as the future of Jiro's shop when his son takes it over and how the increasing popularity of sushi across the world has not only been devastating to the fish population, but has made crafting high-quality sushi more difficult, its focus is on the mysteries of what makes Jiro tick and the secrets of his success. Thankfully, the movie leaves the answers up to the viewer, and if you ask me, we should all be so lucky to find a skill we're so passionate about improving and enjoy exercising that we would want to do nothing but that. All in all, it's a fine documentary that's as simple, skilled and elegant as Jiro's lifestyle.
One of my favorite docs of recent years.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 am
I have no idea what this means but am already sold.
Which part? Shu Qi or Kiera Knightly in Pride and Prejudice? Both are swoon material, bro.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm

What's interesting to me about Jiro Dreams of Sushi, aside from how wonderful and interesting it's subject is, is that it's directed by Davie Gelb, who tried to branch into narrative features and made Lazarus Effect. He managed so snag a decent cast based on his strength as a documentarian.

Those strengths did not translate. That flick was straight up garbage and seems to have tanked his career in that field. Crazy that he made such a wonderful doc though.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm
What's interesting to me about Jiro Dreams of Sushi, aside from how wonderful and interesting it's subject is, is that it's directed by Davie Gelb, who tried to branch into narrative features and made Lazarus Effect. He managed so snag a decent cast based on his strength as a documentarian.

Those strengths did not translate. That flick was straight up garbage and seems to have tanked his career in that field. Crazy that he made such a wonderful doc though.
Let's hope Gelb's once-promising career gets resurrected.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Return of the Living Dead (O'Bannon, 1985)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 pm
Let's hope Gelb's once-promising career gets resurrected.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I'm pretty raw about it. Sushi what I did there? It's a dream come true. Jiro that boat of force puns and wordplay till it becomes nonsense. That's my Effect!

Ummm... Rice to see I ran out of jokes!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Zhang Yimou is back. Looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGetemRDuVY
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 pm

The fan weapons look silly but that black and white color scheme looks magnificent.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:32 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 pm
The fan weapons look silly but that black and white color scheme looks magnificent.
I think they are umbrellas, pretty ninjitsu for a wuxia epic. I'm so thrilled, Yimou is going all in and it looks delightfully absurd.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:35 pm

So I guess a new Avengers movie is, like, pretty much out. How about that. I have my tickets for Friday, we'll see if it's a grand exploration into the devious relationship between Hawkeye and Black Widow and if Ant-Man crawls up Thanos's (Thanos'? Grammar is hard) butt
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:32 pm
I think they are umbrellas, pretty ninjitsu for a wuxia epic. I'm so thrilled, Yimou is going all in and it looks delightfully absurd.
Meant to type umbrella but brain farted. I guess I'm... Not a fan.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:09 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 pm
I guess I'm... Not a fan.
This is some cutting-edge wordplay.
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:09 pm
This is some cutting-edge wordplay.
He is a writer by trade.

Anyways, got my tix for these Avenger guys who have like, I dunno, some kind of problem to solve in a 3 hr time limit.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:26 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 pm

I saw this at TIFF last year. It's good but the umbrellas are loud as fuck.

See it in a theatre, is what I'm saying.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:28 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:35 pm
So I guess a new Avengers movie is, like, pretty much out. How about that. I have my tickets for Friday, we'll see if it's a grand exploration into the devious relationship between Hawkeye and Black Widow and if Ant-Man crawls up Thanos's (Thanos'? Grammar is hard) butt
Heh.
Conversely, this is the event that me and most of my friends care about this year. Very pleased at what I've read from the reviews too.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 pm

From the NYT,

“Endgame” is a monument to adequacy, a fitting capstone to an enterprise that figured out how to be good enough for enough people enough of the time.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 pm
From the NYT,

“Endgame” is a monument to adequacy, a fitting capstone to an enterprise that figured out how to be good enough for enough people enough of the time.
lol, sounds like the NYT