Post by The Nameless One » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm

That's a near Melvin Butterworth level of self-own
The Nameless One

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:28 pm
Heh.
Conversely, this is the event that me and most of my friends care about this year. Very pleased at what I've read from the reviews too.
Honestly, I can just barely contain my level of excitement. I'm trying to play it cool hand luke but holy I'm literally 24 hours away from watching the biggest movie ever, and one that I've been salivating for for a decade... I have 480mg of edible THC and my wits going into this
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I can't stop chuckling at that NYT review. How many things does that apply to? The American presidency for one. It's just casting votes with dollars
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm
That's a near Melvin Butterworth level of self-own
Speaking of self-owns. Are you ready to eat crow if it turns out that the early trailer did indeed preview a romance between Hawkeye and Black Widow?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Shazam! was fun!

I wanted more with the Seven Deadly Sin monsters, 'cause I am all about that Harryhausen-looking red-eyed dark whimsy.

Nice of the film to put Savina's [sic] trauma up front at the beginning, so it's not some bullshit we're learning about 3/4 of the way through the movie while we've been thinking, "Hmm, wonder why he's evil, I bet there's a story there."

Appreciate that, like Aquaman, it's a film thrilled by its more gonzo elements.

Also appreciate that its theme of family, while as blaringly obvious as a Fast and Furious movie, hangs together. The film makes it a coherent theme and develops it and tests the ethic it's promoting.

The flick could stand to live in mediums and medium-wides more, especially in sequences like the mall chase, which feel claustrophobic but not in a way that really adds to the tension.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm
Also appreciate that its theme of family, while as blaringly obvious as a Fast and Furious movie, hangs together.
The last clear virtue left is "loyalty" to one's tribe, which is curious given our "real world" coding against the perils of nationalism.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm
The last clear virtue left is "loyalty" to one's tribe, which is curious given our "real world" coding against the perils of nationalism.
Wrong thread.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm
Wrong thread.
It is a film-related comment. DaMU has a good insight here. Our pro-social messaging is a little flat these days.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:05 pm

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 pm
It is a film-related comment. DaMU has a good insight here. Our pro-social messaging is a little flat these days.
Okay, but if you try to turn this into one of those granular multi-page political arguments when all I really wanted to do was say the film had a nice message about foster families, I swear to Christ I'm gonna commit seppuku and post it on Twitch.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:15 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:05 pm
Okay, but if you try to turn this into one of those granular multi-page political arguments when all I really wanted to do was say the film had a nice message about foster families, I swear to Christ I'm gonna commit seppuku and post it on Twitch.
I was just making a drive-by observation.

I've heard good things about this film. I am actually looking forward to seeing it even though the "big film" this week is a capstone to what is, in effect, the reinvention of the old movie serials (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon) in the guise of full-length feature films. How many billions of bucks has the MCU raked in over 20 films?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 am

Endgame was all I wanted it to be. It and Infinity War may form my favorite cohesive comic book film. Perhaps I'm just riding from that newfound movie high but goddamn what a high it is.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm
Shazam! was fun!

I wanted more with the Seven Deadly Sin monsters, 'cause I am all about that Harryhausen-looking red-eyed dark whimsy.

Nice of the film to put Savina's [sic] trauma up front at the beginning, so it's not some bullshit we're learning about 3/4 of the way through the movie while we've been thinking, "Hmm, wonder why he's evil, I bet there's a story there."

Appreciate that, like Aquaman, it's a film thrilled by its more gonzo elements.

Also appreciate that its theme of family, while as blaringly obvious as a Fast and Furious movie, hangs together. The film makes it a coherent theme and develops it and tests the ethic it's promoting.

The flick could stand to live in mediums and medium-wides more, especially in sequences like the mall chase, which feel claustrophobic but not in a way that really adds to the tension.
I liked it but it just seemed so half baked that I'm surprised people like it so much. The whole mother plot was bad and the bullies were some of the most unintentionally absurd things I've seen in some time. Also, Billy as a kid was a charisma vacuum and acted nothing like Levy, who was pretty damn groovy.

It felt a lot more like a children's film than I was expecting, even with demons eating people's heads.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 pm
Speaking of self-owns. Are you ready to eat crow if it turns out that the early trailer did indeed preview a romance between Hawkeye and Black Widow?
AAAhahahahaHAHAhahjAthfhjfad
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:58 pm

I swear if Hawkeye and Black Widow kiss I will commit sedoku and post it on Twitch
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 pm

I often wonder how Edward Norton/Liv Tyler/etc feel about the whole Marvel thing after being jettisoned. They were movie #2 after all, nobody could've guessed what the next 10 years were gonna bring. (I am an unapologetic fan of the '08 Hulk, btw)
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 pm
I often wonder how Edward Norton/Liv Tyler/etc feel about the whole Marvel thing after being jettisoned. They were movie #2 after all, nobody could've guessed what the next 10 years were gonna bring. (I am an unapologetic fan of the '08 Hulk, btw)
I think Norton is too much of an "actor" to have been committed to being in an ensemble in a series of kiddie films. Norton wants to chew scenery in serious movies. Dude wants Oscars more than action figures.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 pm
I too am a fan of it (Letterier is an underappreciated director of action) and hope Liv Tyler will make a return much like Hurt did.

I think Norton has been undergoing a slow reassessment of his career. He's been working smaller projects and with auteurs in which he isn't the driving force anymore and I think it's working out in terms of quality and notoriety, as he doesn't seem to be the same difficult actor he used to be. I do think he misses that Marvel money and that's why he attached himself to a recent sci-fi property that had promise to be a new big franchise.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:50 pm
I too am a fan of it (Letterier is an underappreciated director of action) and hope Liv Tyler will make a return much like Hurt did.
They were setting up Tim Blake Nelson as The Leader and it bums me out that that was abandoned.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:50 pm
I do think he misses that Marvel money and that's why he attached himself to a recent sci-fi property that had promise to be a new big franchise.
Yeah, this is what I was getting at. The MCU includes lots of Oscar nominees at this point, and if I recall it was Norton himself who sort of sabotaged his position with Marvel. I just wonder if they look at what it has all become in the ensuing years with any regret. (Terrence Howard really blew it too.)
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 pm

As far as I've read, Marvel tried to shank Howard with a huge pay cut for the second film which, considering the role was getting bigger, seemed a bit ludicrous. But I've also read other instances where it said it was him the one who was asking for more money.

Either way, he was setup afterwards with Empire, which has been pretty successful, so I don't think he has a lot of regrets.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:39 pm
Honestly, I can just barely contain my level of excitement. I'm trying to play it cool hand luke but holy I'm literally 24 hours away from watching the biggest movie ever, and one that I've been salivating for for a decade... I have 480mg of edible THC and my wits going into this
Oh, so you're like me. Although I'm relying on my Grape Ape oil.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 pm
But I've also read other instances where it said it was him the one who was asking for more money.
That was the version I'd heard. If in fact it was the other way around that's doubly sucky for him.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Thief wrote:
As far as I've read, Marvel tried to shank Howard with a huge pay cut for the second film which, considering the role was getting bigger, seemed a bit ludicrous. But I've also read other instances where it said it was him the one who was asking for more money.

Either way, he was setup afterwards with Empire, which has been pretty successful, so I don't think he has a lot of regrets.
He was paid more than RDJ for the first Iron Man and thought, for following films, he should still get paid more than RDJ, star reborn and face of the franchise.

For Rhodie. He's also a goddamn loon and notoriously difficult. Crazy talented. But also crazy.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:47 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 pm
He was paid more than RDJ for the first Iron Man and thought, for following films, he should still get paid more than RDJ, star reborn and face of the franchise.
If that's the case, then that's crazy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:47 pm
If that's the case, then that's crazy.
Have you read anything about Howard's actual personal life? I'm not just using crazy figuratively. It's straight up bananas like created his own math based in the idea of 1x1=2 and is convinced he has the highest IQ in the world kind of stuff.

Finding out him and Yaphet Kotto were loons was a real bummer.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 pm
They were setting up Tim Blake Nelson as The Leader and it bums me out that that was abandoned.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. The MCU includes lots of Oscar nominees at this point, and if I recall it was Norton himself who sort of sabotaged his position with Marvel. I just wonder if they look at what it has all become in the ensuing years with any regret. (Terrence Howard really blew it too.)
There are times in our lives when we wonder whether or not we are replaceable in some system of relations (e.g., could Tom Brady win without Bill Belichik?). Sadly, we only find out for sure when we find ourselves replaced and watch from a distance to see if the experiment works out.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 pm
Have you read anything about Howard's actual personal life? I'm not just using crazy figuratively. It's straight up bananas like created his own math based in the idea of 1x1=2 and is convinced he has the highest IQ in the world kind of stuff.

Kotto is a nut? His daughter was briefly my roommate and I always secretly hoped he'd drop by. Now maybe not... depending on the type of nuts.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 am
I liked it but it just seemed so half baked that I'm surprised people like it so much. The whole mother plot was bad and the bullies were some of the most unintentionally absurd things I've seen in some time. Also, Billy as a kid was a charisma vacuum and acted nothing like Levy, who was pretty damn groovy.

It felt a lot more like a children's film than I was expecting, even with demons eating people's heads.
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that some people straight-up loved the film. The mother subplot seemed to tread water in the middle, but I liked the payoff and how the film doesn't overdo the melodrama in that moment (don't get me wrong, it's melodramatic, but it felt like the appropriate amount relative to the story). Agreed on the bullies being a weak point. They don't even have the good manners to be memorable heavies. This movie could've used a real Biff Tannen sort.

Yeah, it does feel like a children's movie; surprising, but welcome. Also, I'm like 90% sure the one kid shouts "hadoken!" before he shoots lightning out of his hands, which made me laugh hard enough to miss the next 20 seconds of action.
NOTE:
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:37 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:49 pm
Kotto is a nut? His daughter was briefly my roommate and I always secretly hoped he'd drop by. Now maybe not... depending on the type of nuts.
this kind of nuts?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kw4 ... eal-aliens
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:12 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 pm
lol, sounds like the NYT
It sure does.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:13 am

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 pm
Man, I sure hope not.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 am
Endgame was all I wanted it to be. It and Infinity War may form my favorite cohesive comic book film. Perhaps I'm just riding from that newfound movie high but goddamn what a high it is.
Ok, now you're getting me excited. Cuz I wuz, like, totally cool about it... :shifty:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 am

Thief wrote:

I think I've read more reports that he was a self-important douche who thought he was a bigger deal than RDJ and also wanted phat paydays. I'm glad they moved on from him, regardless, I just can't see his tubby ass in a War-Machine suit.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:22 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 pm

http://defamer.gawker.com/terrence-howa ... 1730625841

"Terrence Howard is by most measures a walking monster—aside from his history of domestic violence, he lost a fortune upon being ditched by the Iron Man franchise for being a notorious terror on set."
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:30 am

Whew, well, Melvin Butterworth is wrong, of course. Wooley, I assure you that this movie fucks.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:22 am
http://defamer.gawker.com/terrence-howa ... 1730625841

"Terrence Howard is by most measures a walking monster—aside from his history of domestic violence, he lost a fortune upon being ditched by the Iron Man franchise for being a notorious terror on set."
Ah yes, Terrylology. Why do we keep treating these people like they're legitimate authorities on anything but convincingly reading lines someone else wrote?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:31 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:30 am
Whew, well, Melvin Butterworth is wrong, of course. Wooley, I assure you that this movie fucks.
That's funny, a buddy of mine just called me and is like, "Dude, we just walked out of Endgame, holy shit."
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 am
It does exactly that for disappointing antagonist. The dramatic beat had not played out before it's cut short with the surprise.

I'm criticizing it more than Infinity War because I don't care about Scarlet Witch or Vision half as much as I care about Patrick Stewart as Xavier. That scene is also not the second most important dramatic beat in the film that it has to hit to remain potent.

It would be closer to if Infinity War had interrupted the snap with the monster space dogs suddenly attacking everyone immediately after it occurred. But they didn't because they let the beat play out instead of favoring a cheap shock.
I didn't care as much about their relationship in Infinity War either, but that's because Mangold took the time to fully flesh out the fragile state of Logan/Xavier's relationship early on in his film (which is character development that, again, I feel he fully followed up on both character's ends by the end of Logan, both in the scene you're criticizing and afterward as well), while I didn't care as much about Scarlet/Vision because the Russos didn't seem to care that much either, or at the very least, they didn't have the time to satisfyingly catch us up on the state of their relationship, because of the overall over-stuffed nature of their film's narrative. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but, had they been able to spend more time and attention on such seemingly "minor" details, the movie would've still been a richer experience on the whole for it, and, while I still liked Infinity War, that scene was still a missed opportunity for some meaty character development, and it's disappointing because, even though Civil War was also a narrative that was somewhat over-stuffed with characters/subplots, the Russos still did a better job of developing Vision/Scarlet's relationship, a lot of it done in just this one scene, even:

Still gonna see Endgame tomorrow, though!
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Yeah Shazam was good stuff.

But man. Endgame. I think shed Geek tears because I was so happy. And Sad. So good.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Stu wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 am
I didn't care as much about their relationship in Infinity War either, but that's because Mangold took the time to fully flesh out the fragile state of Logan/Xavier's relationship early on in his film (which is character development that, again, I feel he fully followed up on both character's ends by the end of Logan, both in the scene you're criticizing and afterward as well), while I didn't care as much about Scarlet/Vision because the Russos didn't seem to care that much either, or at the very least, they didn't have the time to satisfyingly catch us up on the state of their relationship, because of the overall over-stuffed nature of their film's narrative. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but, had they been able to spend more time and attention on such seemingly "minor" details, the movie would've still been a richer experience on the whole for it, and, while I still liked Infinity War, that scene was still a missed opportunity for some meaty character development, and it's disappointing because, even though Civil War was also a narrative that was somewhat over-stuffed with characters/subplots, the Russos still did a better job of developing Vision/Scarlet's relationship, a lot of it done in just this one scene, even:

Still gonna see Endgame tomorrow, though!
It's still not a particularly fair or comparable comparison. You're comparing the LEAD characters to side characters. How did you feel about Caliban? Was that a particularly potent fate given that he'd previously been set up in Apocalypse? Show me when Infinity War treated Iron Man or Cap in a similar fashion. I'll wait.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Logan was a better movie and a better movie watching experience than any of the Avengers movies.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm
Logan was a better movie and a better movie watching experience than any of the Avengers movies.
Nah. It's 3rd act took care of that. When we have a third act as I'll thought out as putting the one developed villain on the sidelines for a non-character and a villainous plan that is wholly revolved around chasing and grabbing powerful mutants by hand, I will concede this point. In an ordinary X-Men film, this wouldn't be great (X2 rightfully had them tranquilize the kids) but in something as serious and dramatic as Logan, it's pretty damaging. And don't even get me started on that nebulously define green ooze and how wood can suddenly puncture adamantium.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:25 am

Reading Terrence Howard's Wikipedia page, yeah, crazy :shock: :D
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 am

I didn't expect to feel this way, seeing as how I was never in love with any of the previous Avengers, including Infinity War, but Endgame really is one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen; holy shit, that final hour...
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:37 am

Stu wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 am
I didn't expect to feel this way, seeing as how I was never in love with any of the previous Avengers, including Infinity War, but Endgame really is one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen; holy shit, that final hour...
Notice how great that final hour was because it didn't sacrifice the emotional beats to shock the audience or devolve into fights with underdeveloped villains and their inane plans?

Now rewatch IW with Endgame in mind and realize they form a rather perfect superhero epic.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:11 am

Rewatched Enter the Dragon for the first time in years. I definitely enjoyed it, but now that Shaw Brothers movies have become my primary point of reference for kung fu cinema, most of what caught my attention this viewing was the ways it differed from those movies. Perhaps being the first major American martial arts movie, a lot of the emphasis seems to be on selling you on the genre, playing up the tournament premise and the more exotic elements (a lot of which are really, really '70s). The fight scenes also have a more staccato, stop-start rhythm compared to the more freely paced combat I've grown used to, with liberal use of slow motion to allow the viewer to soak in the moves and Lee's facial expressions. (It works most thrillingly in the climax, in which setting, choreography and visual style become one.) And Lee of course is great, but more than the last two movies I watched with him, this is where his presence transcends the movie and forms almost a direct connection with the audience.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:11 am
Rewatched Enter the Dragon for the first time in years. I definitely enjoyed it, but now that Shaw Brothers movies have become my primary point of reference for kung fu cinema, most of what caught my attention this viewing was the ways it differed from those movies. Perhaps being the first major American martial arts movie, a lot of the emphasis seems to be on selling you on the genre, playing up the tournament premise and the more exotic elements (a lot of which are really, really '70s). The fight scenes also have a more staccato, stop-start rhythm compared to the more freely paced combat I've grown used to, with liberal use of slow motion to allow the viewer to soak in the moves and Lee's facial expressions. (It works most thrillingly in the climax, in which setting, choreography and visual style become one.) And Lee of course is great, but more than the last two movies I watched with him, this is where his presence transcends the movie and forms almost a direct connection with the audience.
Plus, that cast is really killer with awesome people in supporting and small roles: Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Angela Mao, Bolo Yung, Jim Kelly and the name synonymous with martial arts icon: John Saxon.

But yeah, Shaw foeva
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:08 am

Avengers: Endgame is essentially 3 hours of focus tested fan service, down to the last detail. It's hard to outright dislike, but it's also very difficult to find anything that seems organic or inventive.

Infinity War had the harrowing ending going for it, and the hope that maybe Thanos would be something other than a mustache-twirling villain. I don't really know what this had that will make me ever want to revisit it.

Good news is, I have the new Suspiria and High Life in my queue... that should make for a fun few days.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:41 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:08 am
Avengers: Endgame is essentially 3 hours of focus tested fan service, down to the last detail. It's hard to outright dislike, but it's also very difficult to find anything that seems organic or inventive.

Infinity War had the harrowing ending going for it, and the hope that maybe Thanos would be something other than a mustache-twirling villain. I don't really know what this had that will make me ever want to revisit it.

Good news is, I have the new Suspiria and High Life in my queue... that should make for a fun few days.
Well, being what it is, I imagine that it should be fan service.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm
Hm. I did not feel this way. I thought Logan was good, maybe the best or second-best of the Fox X-men movies, but that's not a very high bar to clear. Obviously I didn't think it was as good as a lot of people here did. The surprising level of violence seemed to be its main propulsive force, and the relationship between Logan and Charles, all of which seemed to go fairly well until the third act and then it fell off a bit for me. A movie I enjoyed but I doubt I would watch again unless someone else put it on. I would actually even watch Age Of Ultron probably before watching Logan again.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:48 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:12 pm
Nah. It's 3rd act took care of that. When we have a third act as I'll thought out as putting the one developed villain on the sidelines for a non-character and a villainous plan that is wholly revolved around chasing and grabbing powerful mutants by hand, I will concede this point. In an ordinary X-Men film, this wouldn't be great (X2 rightfully had them tranquilize the kids) but in something as serious and dramatic as Logan, it's pretty damaging. And don't even get me started on that nebulously define green ooze and how wood can suddenly puncture adamantium.
Agreed on all points.