Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Agreed on all points.
*Predator handshake*

I'd rank Days of Future Past and X2 above it. I think it's fairly equal to the R rated cut of the Wolverine, albeit with higher highs and better performances.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:12 pm

White Boy Rick - There are pretty good to great performances from the cast starting with Matthew McConaughey. I haven't seen that many of Bel Powley's films but the ones she has been in have been memorable including this one. And newcomer Richie Merritt does a solid job as the title character. There are talented actors and actresses even in the supporting roles like Bruce Dern, Brian Tyree Henry and Jennifer Jason Leigh. So one would expect the movie to be more affecting but it somehow isn't. I'm not sure tinkering with the script would have helped all that much either. The storyline seems sketched in but I'm not sure embellishing it would have helped. I think the problem inevitably lies with the subject matter. The movie doesn't give you enough reasons to root for Rick Wershe Jr. Grade C.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:37 am
Notice how great that final hour was because it didn't sacrifice the emotional beats to shock the audience or devolve into fights with underdeveloped villains and their inane plans?
If we're comparing the two movies, I would say that, although I was a fan of it on the whole, Endgame ultimately wasn't any better than Logan, due to the relative strength of the latter's first two acts when compared to the former's, as Logan started off strong by establishing a brutal emotional honesty with an absolute, consistentally authentic tone, which continued on strong throughout the entirety of the film's midsection/climax, never actually sacrificing emotion for gore or shocks, in my opinion, and criticizing its antagonists as under-developed when they serve as metaphorical self-commentary on the characters themselves (ala the appearance of the X-Men comics), or serve to motivate Logan, Xavier, and Laura in both their rich physical and inner journeys is like ignoring the rich conflict among the main characters in the final season of Breaking Bad to nitpick how Uncle Jack wasn't technically a very three-dimensional baddie /shameless passive-aggressive swipe at Evil.

The first act of Endgame, in contrast, had some slight tonal problems, having a certain sense of forced moroseness that, while a bit of mourning was expected given the curcumstances, still ended up feeling slightly unnatural on the Russos' parts, as the film felt uncomfortable delivering some of the more emotional, character-focused moments at times, and the second act, while pretty fun and unexpected, still felt a bit like an "MCU's Greatest Hits" compilation, somewhat coasting off of the fumes of a gratuitous, Abrams-esque regurgitation of nostalgia for movies that are still less than a decade old at this point. But, that being said, those are all nitpicks on the whole, as I did like Endgame a lot more than I expected to, moreso than any other MCU movie to date, and while I didn't feel it was better than Logan on the whole, that 3rd hour was awesome enough to render it as good as Wolverine's swan song; the death of
you-know-how actually made me feel as much as I did when Logan finally died in his film, so you know it made me feel something, definitely.
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 am
If we're comparing the two movies, I would say that, although I was a fan of it on the whole, Endgame ultimately wasn't any better than Logan, due to the relative strength of the latter's first two acts when compared to the former's, as Logan started off strong by establishing a brutal emotional honesty with an absolute, consistentally authentic tone, which continued on strong throughout the entirety of the film's midsection/climax, never actually sacrificing emotion for gore or shocks, in my opinion, and criticizing its antagonists when they either serve as metaphorical self-commentary on the characters themselves (ala the appearance of the X-Men comics), or serve to motivate Logan, Xavier, and Laura in both their rich physical and inner journeys as characters is like ignoring all of the rich conflict among the main characters in the final season of Breaking Bad to nitpick how Uncle Jack wasn't technically a very three-dimensional baddie /shameless passive-aggressive swipe at Evil.

The first act of Endgame, in contrast, had some slight tonal problems, having a certain sense of forced moroseness that, while a bit of mourning was expected given the curcumstances, still ended up feeling slightly unnatural on the Russos' parts, as they felt uncomfortable delivering some of the more emotional, character-focused moments at times, and the second act, while pretty fun and unexpected, still felt a bit like an "MCU's Greatest Hits" compilation, somewhat coasting off of the fumes of a gratuitous, Abrams-esque regurgitation of nostalgia for movies that are still less than a decade old at this point. But, that being said, those are all nitpicks on the whole, as I did like Endgame a lot more than I expected to, moreso than any other MCU movie to date, and while I didn't feel it was better than Logan on the whole, that 3rd hour was awesome enough to render it as good as Wolverine's swan song; the death of
you-know-how actually made me feel as much as I did when Logan finally died in his film, so you know it made me feel something, definitely.
Ain't no real use in arguing it because I think Endgame is a popcorn, blockbuster masterpiece and Logan is a good movie that tries a bit too hard in some areas and not at all in others. The latter tries to evoke that it's a "serious movie" while not putting forth the legwork to hold up to that scrutiny while Endgame tight rope walks that MCU balance between light, dark, comedic and serious all the while embracing that it's a movie based on COMIC BOOKS and not have to resort to a gloss of gore, tits, and swears to hide that. Not saying I don't appreciate those elements but it's all a superficial veneer of maturity while Endgame is out to please and does so on a level few films ever achieve.

It's on the level of the Dark Knight, LOTR, Empire and Raiders, though it feels more akin to the greatest of TV finales, alongside The Shield, Six Feet Under and Angel.

What I'm saying is this:

Call me a fanboy or whatever. I've yet to see a critique of the film that's had any effect or held water in my assessment of the film, and that includes copious reaction threads and videos (I could answer ever single one of Mike's questions from RLM). I love Endgame (and Infinity War) and they dwarf the lionshare of comic book films because they find the perfect balance of embracing the source and operating as grandiose blockbusters. Others vacillate between those and don't really compare.

I'm off the deep end, friendo!
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 am
Ain't no real use in arguing it because I think Endgame is a popcorn, blockbuster masterpiece and Logan is a good movie that tries a bit too hard in some areas and not at all in others. The latter tries to evoke that it's a "serious movie" while not putting forth the legwork to hold up to that scrutiny while Endgame tight rope walks that MCU balance between light, dark, comedic and serious all the while embracing that it's a movie based on COMIC BOOKS and not have to resort to a gloss of gore, tits, and swears to hide that. Not saying I don't appreciate those elements but it's all a superficial veneer of maturity while Endgame is out to please and does so on a level few films ever achieve.

It's on the level of the Dark Knight, LOTR, Empire and Raiders, though it feels more akin to the greatest of TV finales, alongside The Shield, Six Feet Under and Angel.

What I'm saying is this:

Call me a fanboy or whatever. I've yet to see a critique of the film that's had any effect or held water in my assessment of the film, and that includes copious reaction threads and videos (I could answer ever single one of Mike's questions from RLM). I love Endgame (and Infinity War) and they dwarf the lionshare of comic book films because they find the perfect balance of embracing the source and operating as grandiose blockbusters. Others vacillate between those and don't really compare.

I'm off the deep end, friendo!
I would agree that the R-rated elements in Logan are a thin facade of "adult content" on their own, if it wasn't for the consistent emotional brutality of the film, which dovetails perfectly with the surface-level R stuff to make for a truly mature superhero film on the whole. It's all about context; in a vacuum, the portrayal of Lambert in Alien as an incredibly hysterical, uselessly frightened woman in a Horror movie would be an extremely problematic characterization, if it wasn't for the cool, steely presence of Ripley, the other female character, in the same film. To be honest, in retrospect, I feel like the PG-13 restrictions on the previous X-Mens often made their content feel far more forced, like the absurdly bloodless, PG-13 "carnage" of something like Wolverine's mansion rampage in X-2, although that was equally awesome in its own way, as that scene was just there to pump us up with an animalistic rush of adrenaline in a way that was friendly enough for most audiences to digest, and it did so wonderfully, but, after we've had our fill of that for over a decade, it was time for Logan to help the series (and superhero movies as a whole) "grow up", show us what would really happen to people being carved up by 6-inch long claw-knives, and to be honest about the actual toll having to constantly inflict such carnage would take on someone's soul over a couple of centuries.

I feel there's plenty of room for both takes on Wolverine (and on the genre as a whole), just like there's room for a relatively mindless, shallow splatterfest like Blade II (which I also enjoyed in its own way), but, at any rate, I'm not trying to gripe at you about your feelings on Logan or be a hard-on about dissent here, as I'm just naturally attracted to thought-provoking, good-faith discussions such as this, or, as that German guy on The Simpsons once put it, "a free exchange of ideas in the pleasure of your company". Hey, at least we both loved Endgame, eh?
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:04 am
I would agree that the R-rated elements in Logan are a thin facade of "adult content" on their own, if it wasn't for the consistent emotional brutality of the film, which dovetails perfectly with the surface-level R stuff to make for a truly mature superhero film on the whole. It's all about context; in a vacuum, the portrayal of Lambert in Alien as an incredibly hysterical, uselessly frightened woman in a Horror movie would be an extremely problematic characterization, if it wasn't for the cool, steely presence of Ripley, the other female character, in the same film. To be honest, in retrospect, I feel like the PG-13 restrictions on the previous X-Mens often made their content feel far more forced, like the absurdly bloodless, PG-13 "carnage" of something like Wolverine's mansion rampage in X-2, although that was equally awesome in its own way, as that scene was just there to pump us up with an animalistic rush of adrenaline in a way that was friendly enough for most audiences to digest, and it did so wonderfully, but, after we've had our fill of that for over a decade, it was time for Logan to help the series (and superhero movies as a whole) "grow up", show us what would really happen to people being carved up by 6-inch long claw-knives, and to be honest about the actual toll having to constantly inflict such carnage would take on someone's soul over a couple of centuries.

I feel there's plenty of room for both takes on Wolverine (and on the genre as a whole), just like there's room for a relatively mindless, shallow splatterfest like Blade II (which I also enjoyed in its own way), but, at any rate, I'm not trying to gripe at you about your feelings on Logan or be a hard-on about dissent here, as I'm just naturally attracted to thought-provoking, good-faith discussions such as this, or, as that German guy on The Simpsons once put it, "a free exchange of ideas in the pleasure of your company". Hey, at least we both loved Endgame, eh?
Absolutely. It's just that I killed a King in the North stout by myself tonight in preparation (and duration) of tonight's GoT so my articulation may be a tad loose.

I just want to be clear that there were many things I loved about Logan and I did like the way it used it's gore to emphasize the toll it takes on its titular character. However, it aims for such serious, heavy territory then injects a healthy dose of schlock (the aforementioned issues and the not bitched about enough cell phone documentary exposition dump) as if it being a comic book movie is still supposed to protect it from that criticism and I just don't think it works that way.

But yeah. Endgame and GoT have me riding a stupid fanboy high. I binge watched all of phase 1 with a buddy of mine yesterday and had a blast. We're trying to organize phase 2 and 3 binges before going back to rewatch Endgame again. Nerdlife is almost good enough to forget the mess of the world for the moment.

CONSUME
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Avengers: Endgame - 10/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Ace wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 pm
Yeah Shazam was good stuff.

But man. Endgame. I think shed Geek tears because I was so happy. And Sad. So good.
:up:

What was your favorite part?

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 pm

All of it.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:43 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm
All of it.

Is your name Ace?

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:43 pm
Is your name Ace?
All of it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Endgame - Wow
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Assemble...
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:18 am

Stu wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 am
Assemble...
That really was nice.
Man, there were so many moments.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am

I really dug Endgame. It was everything I loved about Infinity War plus so much more. Marvel really outdid themselves.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:18 am
That really was nice.
Man, there were so many moments.
I loved the part where Spidey is trying to keep the gauntlet from Thanos and all the female superheroes surround him as protection. That's a whole lotta pissed-off mama bears.

Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:44 am

The Guyver is co-directed by Screaming Mad George and produced by Brian Yuzna, and you can see some of the madcap energy of their previous collaborations in a few effects sequences, but for the most part the creature designs are hideous and the movie too shrill and one-note for that energy to really accumulate.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture is like a less artful but still effective Ms. 45. Its rudimentary stylization gives it a potency that a more polite take on the subject matter might have trouble mustering. I don't know if the hardcore footage during the rape scenes was really necessary, but I admit I did recoil.

There's a good amount of giving the audience what they came for (*raised eyebrows*) with The Big Doll House, but it's energetically assembled and has some pretty engaging performances (Pam Grier and Sid Haig obviously, but I really liked Roberta Collins in this as well).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:09 am

Death Proof wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 am
I loved the part where Spidey is trying to keep the gauntlet from Thanos and all the female superheroes surround him as protection. That's a whole lotta pissed-off mama bears.
"She's not alone."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 am

So they've made a movie out of We Have Always Lived In The Castle.

I am certain they will have shit on it. Sigh.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 am

I recently saw the 3 hour version of Fanny & Alexander, but after looking up what other people thought of it, I feel like the 5 hour version is the one which I probably should've watched. Is that true? Regardless, I still enjoyed this version a great deal due to its representations of how reality always surfaces behind fantasy and how every joy is balanced by hardship. Even the seemingly playful, extended Christmas celebration near the start of the film often cuts to hints that tragedy is drawing near if you pay close attention to it. Although minimal plot progression happens for the first hour of the film, this choice makes it feel strangely absorbing as there's the constant, looming threat that all the life bursting out of that sequence won't last much longer. After this act, the visual and sound design changed throughout the film to give it a somewhat eerie and nightmarish tone such as how the set design changed from vivid to lifeless and barren, how the music became spare during certain sections of the film, and the brief moments where the film focused on a clock ticking. This dreamlike quality continues on into the final act of the film to produce one of the most overwhelming and thought-provoking sequences I've seen in a while since, due to the various set pieces and the characters encountered throughout it, so much of it feels like one long dream itself, even more so than anything which comes before it. As a whole, this blend of intricate set design, music, and lack thereof makes for a constant bombardment on the audience which never lets up and causes you to feel just as welcomed and isolated as the characters do. As great as it is, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Fanny was basically a noncharacter, but this is the only aspect which I wasn't sold on. Everything else about the film is so great and I could see myself revisiting this one again.

9/10
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:18 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 am
I recently saw the 3 hour version of Fanny & Alexander, but after looking up what other people thought of it, I feel like the 5 hour version is the one which I probably should've watched. Is that true? Regardless, I still enjoyed this version a great deal due to its representations of how reality always surfaces behind fantasy and how every joy is balanced by hardship. Even the seemingly playful, extended Christmas celebration near the start of the film often cuts to hints that tragedy is drawing near if you pay close attention to it. Although minimal plot progression happens for the first hour of the film, this choice makes it feel strangely absorbing as there's the constant, looming threat that all the life bursting out of that sequence won't last much longer. After this act, the visual and sound design changed throughout the film to give it a somewhat eerie and nightmarish tone such as how the set design changed from vivid to lifeless and barren, how the music became spare during certain sections of the film, and the brief moments where the film focused on a clock ticking. This dreamlike quality continues on into the final act of the film to produce one of the most overwhelming and thought-provoking sequences I've seen in a while since, due to the various set pieces and the characters encountered throughout it, so much of it feels like one long dream itself, even more so than anything which comes before it. As a whole, this blend of intricate set design, music, and lack thereof makes for a constant bombardment on the audience which never lets up and causes you to feel just as welcomed and isolated as the characters do. As great as it is, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Fanny was basically a noncharacter, but this is the only aspect which I wasn't sold on. Everything else about the film is so great and I could see myself revisiting this one again.

9/10
This movie was a big deal when it came out when I was young, obviously long before social media, so the fact that you got value from it, combined with the media response of my youth and now the astonishing number of hours I've wasted on the mediocre content that is Game Of Thrones, I feel like I should absolutely be able to courage my way through the 5-hour version of this film.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:18 am
This movie was a big deal when it came out when I was young, obviously long before social media, so the fact that you got value from it, combined with the media response of my youth and now the astonishing number of hours I've wasted on the mediocre content that is Game Of Thrones, I feel like I should absolutely be able to courage my way through the 5-hour version of this film.
I found this version highly engrossing, so I wouldn't mind an additional two hours of footage.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Tried watching Watchmen last night (mostly to fall asleep to), and it's not holding up as well as I imagined it would at the time. I think I was (a) dazzled by its relative fidelity and (b) apologetic to Snyder due to the incredible difficulty in translating any sort of version of the film to the screen. The latter is still true - WB was gonna make the film sooner or later, and Snyder basically fell on the grenade with an emphasis on honoring the material, which I respect; he fought to keep the story in its time and ignored previous versions of the script that streamlined and uptempo-ed the material. But I think his "honoring" lapses into superficial fetishism too often. Like with 300 and BvS, he struggles to give meaning and coherence to the ideas the story's pursuing.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:20 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:06 pm
Tried watching Watchmen last night (mostly to fall asleep to), and it's not holding up as well as I imagined it would at the time. I think I was (a) dazzled by its relative fidelity and (b) apologetic to Snyder due to the incredible difficulty in translating any sort of version of the film to the screen. The latter is still true - WB was gonna make the film sooner or later, and Snyder basically fell on the grenade with an emphasis on honoring the material, which I respect; he fought to keep the story in its time and ignored previous versions of the script that streamlined and uptempo-ed the material. But I think his "honoring" lapses into superficial fetishism too often. Like with 300 and BvS, he struggles to give meaning and coherence to the ideas the story's pursuing.
Interesting, I watched this again recently myself and pretty much felt the same as you.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Things that are still rad about the movie: the opening fight scene, the opening credits, Manhattan as an effect and performance, Haley as Rorschach, keeping the Owlship flame orgasm joke, the lush production design, and Nite Owl impotently punching Ozymandias after the climax.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm
Things that are still rad about the movie: the opening fight scene, the opening credits, Manhattan as an effect and performance, Haley as Rorschach, keeping the Owlship flame orgasm joke, the lush production design, and Nite Owl impotently punching Ozymandias after the climax.
I still think the movie is fine. Moore's story is still strong enough to shine through some wooden acting and super-duper Snyder action scenes. It's a solid "B" of a movie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Part of me is glad that this phase of the MCU has reached its end,
because it's clear that this crew had zero interest in the Hulk and/or had no idea how to use him other than as a joke. There was NO room in your 3-hour movie for a Hulk beatdown? Was he even present at the final battle? COMEON!!! Throw me a frickin' bone here. I'm praying that somebody that gives a flying rip is able to reboot it now.
Signed, Butt-hurt Hulk fan
Other than that it was fine. :)
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Zen Hulk = good

Movie filled with so much great material but oh such chore to sit through.

Brie Larson = pretty
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm
...I can't change human nature.

I've watched the DC quite a few times in the past year and it's become one of my favorites.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 pm

My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed May 01, 2019 7:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 pm
All of it.
What he said. :D
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am

I finally got to see it, and in 3-D no less, and I agree with everyone else: it is one of the best films of all time.

I’m talking about A Long Day’s Journey Into Night, obviously. Haven’t seen any of the comic book movies since Thor and Guardians 2 (the latter of which is a landmark action comedy film in its own right, despite some other underwhelming elements).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:11 pm
Part of me is glad that this phase of the MCU has reached its end,
because it's clear that this crew had zero interest in the Hulk and/or had no idea how to use him other than as a joke. There was NO room in your 3-hour movie for a Hulk beatdown? Was he even present at the final battle? COMEON!!! Throw me a frickin' bone here. I'm praying that somebody that gives a flying rip is able to reboot it now.
Signed, Butt-hurt Hulk fan
Other than that it was fine. :)
Wow, I would say that they were utterly loving to
Hulk in this movie, giving him and Banner real characterization, giving us all Professor Hulk, the funny bit in NY where they encourage him to smash things and he thinks it's ridiculous so he just limply smashes the roof of a cab and tosses a motorcycle, the fact that he is THE leader/co-ordinator of the whole time-travel adventure... I mean, yeah, I missed him getting another shot at Thanos, we all wanted that, but it wouldn't have worked since he would have to have failed again to set up The Return of The Son of The Snap, so you can't have everything.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 01, 2019 5:41 pm

topherH wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm
Zen Hulk = good

Movie filled with so much great material but oh such chore to sit through.

Brie Larson = pretty
A chore to sit through?
My own feelings aside, one thing I have seen even people very critical of the movie say over and over again is how it flies by and doesn't feel anywhere near its 3-hour run-time.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed May 01, 2019 6:00 pm

I suppose its first act moved at a slow pace, but I wouldn't say this section really dragged or anything. I thought it got through the buildup in a pretty timely manner.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 am
I finally got to see it, and in 3-D no less, and I agree with everyone else: it is one of the best films of all time.

I’m talking about A Long Day’s Journey Into Night, obviously. Haven’t seen any of the comic book movies since Thor and Guardians 2 (the latter of which is a landmark action comedy film in its own right, despite some other underwhelming elements).
I thought you were talking about The Beach Bum but then realized it only SHOULD have been in 3D.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm
Wow, I would say that they were utterly loving to
Hulk in this movie, giving him and Banner real characterization, giving us all Professor Hulk, the funny bit in NY where they encourage him to smash things and he thinks it's ridiculous so he just limply smashes the roof of a cab and tosses a motorcycle, the fact that he is THE leader/co-ordinator of the whole time-travel adventure... I mean, yeah, I missed him getting another shot at Thanos, we all wanted that, but it wouldn't have worked since he would have to have failed again to set up The Return of The Son of The Snap, so you can't have everything.
They've done a great job with Banner, it's the Hulk they seem to have no interest in.
To wit:
*Hasn't had a solo movie since E Norton. That was 11 years and 20 movies ago
*Was AWOL during CA: Civil War
*Spent the entirety of Infinity War "unable to perform", so to speak. No Hulk scenes.
*Now in Endgame we get a Hulk that's embarrassed of his tantrums. He's completely absent during GIANT BATTLE SCENE FEATURING APPROXIMATELY 70 OTHER SUPERHEROES (I mean seriously, WTF???)
*Yes we get lots of Hulk in Ragnarok, but that was a comedy. I'm fine with that and loved the movie, but still he's a joke here. ("The Hulk has a big peenie!")
The result is that we haven't had a full-on Hulk-out since Age of Ultron (Phase 2: 12 movies ago)

To paraphrase Kanye West, "Kevin Feige doesn't care about green people"

This is just my own personal pet peeve of course. The Hulk was absolutely my #1 guy when I was a kid, by a wide margin. I get a cathartic joy out of watching him rage out and crush things, which is probably something that I need to work on. :shifty:
And I agree, the 3 hours flew by. Started to feel a bit like Return of the King at the end, but I never felt like it was dragging.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm
They've done a great job with Banner, it's the Hulk they seem to have no interest in.
To wit:
*Spent the entirety of Infinity War "unable to perform", so to speak. No Hulk scenes.
*Now in Endgame we get a Hulk that's embarrassed of his tantrums. He's completely absent during GIANT BATTLE SCENE FEATURING APPROXIMATELY 70 OTHER SUPERHEROES (I mean seriously, WTF???)
*Yes we get lots of Hulk in Ragnarok, but that was a comedy. I'm fine with that and loved the movie, but still he's a joke here. ("The Hulk has a big peenie!")
The result is that we haven't had a full-on Hulk-out since Age of Ultron (Phase 2: 12 movies ago)

This is just my own personal pet peeve of course. The Hulk was absolutely my #1 guy when I was a kid, by a wide margin. I get a cathartic joy out of watching him rage out and crush things, which is probably something that I need to work on. :shifty:
And I agree, the 3 hours flew by. Started to feel a bit like Return of the King at the end, but I never felt like it was dragging.
Discounting Thor Ragnarok because it's a "comedy" is pretty nonsense, mate.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 pm
Is HULK joke to you?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 pm
I read that in Korg's voice. :)
I'm not discounting it as a film, if that's what you mean. It's one of my favorites of this "phase". Only pointing out that Jade Jaws is either ignored or played for laughs at this point. (in hindsight, everything I've said could also apply to Thor I guess. I'm just not as personally invested in Thor as I am in Hulk.) I'd just like to see another Hulk story played relatively straight is all I'm saying.
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:41 pm
A chore to sit through?
My own feelings aside, one thing I have seen even people very critical of the movie say over and over again is how it flies by and doesn't feel anywhere near its 3-hour run-time.
I wish I could say the same, i didn't dislike anything but it felt the story was moving along a snails pace.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm
To wit:

I don't know, I thought Hulk fighting both Thor and Fenris in the same film (Ragnarok) was pretty Hulky.
And they can't do solo Hulk movies because of their deal with Universal.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu May 02, 2019 4:58 pm

I saw the watchable, but not particularly good It Conquered the World, a Roger Corman-directed, Red scare-influenced sci-fi movie from the '50s. A young Lee Van Cleef, who idealizes aliens from Venus who communicate in a language that sounds like the Forbidden Planet soundtrack, convinces the aliens to take over the Earth, which they do via bugs that likely inspired the parasites in Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Conspiracy." It's up to Peter Graves to stop the invasion and teach Lee Van Cleef a lesson, which he does in a final speech that's as melodramatic and long-winded as Mulder's endless speech in The Simpsons episode "The Springfield Files." Unfortunately, the movie didn't lend itself well to Mystery Science Theater 3000's style of riffing. Besides making fun of the surplus of pie and coffee scenes and the conclusion showing Mike, the Bots, TV's Frank and Dr. Forrester take in Peter Graves' big speech while eating '50s-style TV dinners, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill episode.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm
I don't know, I thought Hulk fighting both Thor and Fenris in the same film (Ragnarok) was pretty Hulky.
And they can't do solo Hulk movies because of their deal with Universal.
Fair enough. If anyone is looking for me, all of my future posting will occur at Hulk-Boy.com, where I can be among others of my kind. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm
Fair enough. If anyone is looking for me, all of my future posting will occur at Hulk-Boy.com, where I can be among others of my kind. :)
Heh. Sorry, I do know what you mean, but we can't have everything. I was crushed that they actually got rid of
Vision
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:06 pm
Snyder's Watchmen has some undeniably strong technical aspects, like the genuinely impressive imagery & effects, the often-beautiful cinematography, or the lavish production, art, & costume design that brings its alternate-reality version of 1985 to vivid life, and its faithfulness to the source material is admirable, but that fidelity also kneecaps the film's over-extended, pokey pacing, and also leads to some awkward structuring, like the scene at The Comedian's funeral where we keep endlessly cutting back and forth from the graveyard to various people's memories of him for what feels like an eternity because hey, if it worked in the novel, it has to work onscreen! Said faithfulness is also often just a skin-deep thing, as the film's tone often misses the points of Moore's source material, whether it be pointlessly upping the level of gore, making everyone act so absurdly grim and dour all the time, to the point of self-parody, or over-emphasizing the fight scenes in order to make the characters look "badass" (including Rorschach, a character which most certainly should not be admired). It's a fairly awkward movie, one that's just broken on a fundamental, irredeemable level despite some of its strengths, and I don't know who at WB got the idea in their head that this was the guy to resurrect Superman onscreen, but someone should slap 'em for it.
Last Movie Seen:

Recently Reviewed
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Movies I watched this week (first watches):

BlackKklansman - 9/10
Mean Streets - 8/10
Leaving Neverland - 8/10
American Animals - 7/10
Swingers - 7/10
Eye in the Sky - 7/10
Baby Driver - 6/10
Assault of Precinct 13 - 6/10
Crazy Rich Asians - 5/10
Anchorman - 4/10
George of the Jungle - 2/10
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Love Baby Driver and Assault on Precinct 13 (the 1976 one, anyway). I could watch them over and over again without ever getting bored.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 am
Snyder's Watchmen has some undeniably strong technical aspects, like the genuinely impressive imagery & effects, the often-beautiful cinematography, or the lavish production, art, & costume design that brings its alternate-reality version of 1985 to vivid life, and its faithfulness to the source material is admirable, but that fidelity also kneecaps the film's over-extended, pokey pacing, and also leads to some awkward structuring, like the scene at The Comedian's funeral where we keep endlessly cutting back and forth from the graveyard to various people's memories of him for what feels like an eternity because hey, if it worked in the novel, it has to work onscreen! Said faithfulness is also often just a skin-deep thing, as the film's tone often misses the points of Moore's source material, whether it be pointlessly upping the level of gore, making everyone act so absurdly grim and dour all the time, to the point of self-parody, or over-emphasizing the fight scenes in order to make the characters look "badass" (including Rorschach, a character which most certainly should not be admired). It's a fairly awkward movie, one that's just broken on a fundamental, irredeemable level despite some of its strengths, and I don't know who at WB got the idea in their head that this was the guy to resurrect Superman onscreen, but someone should slap 'em for it.
It's rare for a film to be successful being stupidly faithful to source material.

Watchmen is stupidly faithful.

It's probably the only interesting movie Snyder has ever made (almost definitely because of the source material it is stupid about), and I have rewatched it a couple of times, but it's also mighty awful for long stretches.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 pm
Watchmen is stupidly faithful.
For me, I don't think any of the changes in the film from the graphic novel better illustrate Snyder's incompetence than the flashback where, according to the book, Kovacs becomes Rorschach. In the book, the scene is disturbingly perfect. There's really no production necessity to change it, and no one has offered a sensible reason for it, other than Snyder, apparently, likes his superhero tantrums.