Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Torgo

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Youth Without Youth packs a lot of content, much of which usually provides good drama, into its two hours, such as war, exile, sci-fi, romance, rapid aging and rapid backwards aging. Even so, when it was over, I had a half-hearted, "oh, I get it" reaction similar to Homer Simpson's when the Gen-X'er points at his tip jar and says "karma." Set during the onset of World War II, it follows an aging professor played by Tim Roth whose life's work is an ambitious project to discover the origins of language, and since it's such an all-consuming project, it has left him lonely, unloved and suicidal. While crossing the street one day, he's struck by lightning, and instead of being fried to death, he gains everything he needs to complete his project, i.e. abilities to age backwards and to acquire knowledge from books simply by holding them in his hands. Unfortunately, as it is with most magical abilities, there's a drawback, which he discovers when he falls in love with a woman who gains similar abilities: the more he spends time with her, the faster she ages (in the wrong direction). Thematically, the movie reminds me of the typical Darren Aronofsky movie in how it explores the limitations of human existence; specifically, how our short lifespans and the fact that there are so many hours in a day limit how much time and effort we can devote to our ambitions and to our loved ones. It's no mistake that the movie is set during World War II: the movie argues that these limitations prevent humanity from learning how to prevent such catastrophes from happening again. However, in execution, the movie reminded me of a Terry Gilliam movie that isn't Brazil or Twelve Monkeys: while its ambition is admirable, all of its pieces do not come together to form a satisfying whole. It is possible to put a bunch of big ideas, even ones that do not naturally coincide, together and achieve greatness, but in this case, it's what usually happens when you make a stew out of all of your favorite foods, spices and seasonings: it ends up tasting like flavorless gruel.

Also, I don't recommend watching this on Amazon Prime. It's in a full-screen ratio, which looks terrible.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 am

Torgo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm
However, in execution, the movie reminded me of a Terry Gilliam movie that isn't Brazil or Twelve Monkeys
Along this metric, Youth is better than Tideland or Brothers Grimm but not as good as Time Bandits or Fisher King. So....on par with Zero Theorem, maybe?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 am
Along this metric, Youth is better than Tideland or Brothers Grimm but not as good as Time Bandits or Fisher King. So....on par with Zero Theorem, maybe?
Umm...exactly.
Besides those two movies and maybe Munchausen, I can take or leave the rest of his filmography.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Burning is something of a masterpiece, isn’t it? Watched it a couple of days ago and can’t get it off my mind.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 pm

I finally saw Under Siege for the first time, and I found it to be a very entertaining "Die Hard on a..." movie, in this case, an American battleship. Seagal is not exactly Olivier in the John McClane-esque Casey Ryback role, but he makes up for it with his presence and his martial arts abilities. Unfortunately, while McClane has many moments of vulnerability, Ryback never encounters a whole lot of resistance from the terrorists. Seagal most likely made the same kind of bargains with the producers to make Ryback seem as heroic and invincible as possible that Jose Canseco made while guest-starring in The Simpsons episode "Homer at the Bat." Even so, the quality of the direction and the contributions of the supporting cast make up for its Seagalisms. Gary Busey and Tommy Lee Jones in particular are a joy to watch as the main bad guys. It's clear that both of them are having a great time (I laughed especially hard in the scene where Busey's character asks if he needs a psychiatric evaluation).
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 pm
I finally saw Under Siege for the first time, and I found it to be a very entertaining "Die Hard on a..." movie, in this case, an American battleship. Seagal is not exactly Olivier in the John McClane-esque Casey Ryback role, but he makes up for it with his presence and his martial arts abilities. Unfortunately, while McClane has many moments of vulnerability, Ryback never encounters a whole lot of resistance from the terrorists. Seagal most likely made the same kind of bargains with the producers to make Ryback seem as heroic and invincible as possible that Jose Canseco made while guest-starring in The Simpsons episode "Homer at the Bat." Even so, the quality of the direction and the contributions of the supporting cast make up for its Seagalisms. Gary Busey and Tommy Lee Jones in particular are a joy to watch as the main bad guys. It's clear that both of them are having a great time (I laughed especially hard in the scene where Busey's character asks if he needs a psychiatric evaluation).
Probably Seagal's best made movie, although I think Out for Justice is better attuned to his strengths (I find that one more enjoyable personally).

I think the only time he's ever been vulnerable is in Executive Decision
which is a good movie if you like Kurt Russell but a great one if you hate Steven Seagal.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm
Probably Seagal's best made movie, although I think Out for Justice is better attuned to his strengths (I find that one more enjoyable personally).

which is a good movie if you like Kurt Russell but a great one if you hate Steven Seagal.
Executive Decision is the only other Steven Seagal movie I've seen.
Based on his performance, it's obvious that his character was killed off early because he's a terrible person in real life. Reading about the backstage drama was unnecessary.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Fair assessment. If' he'd died in a car accident after filming Under Siege, we would have remembered him fondly.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Once again this isn't a movie but I did recently see this. Why oh why do they keep releasing these? The premise has long since been turned into a gordian knot. I suppose this might be considered canonical because of Hamilton and Schwarzenegger but at this point fans of the franchise are right to be a little skeptical.

My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 pm
Once again this isn't a movie but I did recently see this.

Why oh why do they keep releasing these? The premise has long since been turned into a gordian knot. I suppose this might be considered canonical because of Hamilton and Schwarzenegger but at this point fans of the franchise are right to be a little skeptical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs
For the same reason that they made ALIEN$.

What is the "premise" at this point? It's a casserole of "BOOM", "catchphrase," and "nostalgia" - I think we're past the point of pretending that there's really a point at this point. You either like watching shit go boom with ageing action heroes or you don't, I guess.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am

Even the CGI in that trailer looked bad.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri May 24, 2019 2:02 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm
Fair assessment. If' he'd died in a car accident after filming Under Siege, we would have remembered him fondly.
But we would have missed a moment as magical as this:

I like the movie, not because it's good by any sane measure, but because it's basically The Room with explosions.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 am

Torgo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm
Executive Decision is the only other Steven Seagal movie I've seen.
Based on his performance, it's obvious that his character was killed off early because he's a terrible person in real life. Reading about the backstage drama was unnecessary.
I wasn't aware of the backstage drama, but I suspect it was supposed to be written like a Die Hard/The Rock situation where the macho tough guys get killed early and the people who use their brains prevail, but he's such in unmitigated dick (both in the movie and in real life) that it feels like it was directed at him personally.
The movies he did before Under Siege are all worth checking out. Above the Law and Out for Justice put his streetwise swagger to great use, while Hard to Kill and Marked for Death are pleasingly cheesy, and all (except maybe Above the Law) have strong action. Seagal had the benefit of working with some pretty good directors early in his career, which put those movies at a much higher level than his innate talent should have allowed.
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri May 24, 2019 3:46 am

Rock wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 am
I wasn't aware of the backstage drama, but I suspect it was supposed to be written like a Die Hard/The Rock situation where the macho tough guys get killed early and the people who use their brains prevail, but he's such in unmitigated dick (both in the movie and in real life) that it feels like it was directed at him personally.
The movies he did before Under Siege are all worth checking out. Above the Law and Out for Justice put his streetwise swagger to great use, while Hard to Kill and Marked for Death are pleasingly cheesy, and all (except maybe Above the Law) have strong action. Seagal had the benefit of working with some pretty good directors early in his career, which put those movies at a much higher level than his innate talent should have allowed.
Thanks, I'm on a '90s action movie kick lately, so those will keep me busy.
Which one involves a certain Senator Trent going to a blood bank?
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:46 am
Thanks, I'm on a '90s action movie kick lately, so those will keep me busy.
Which one involves a certain Senator Trent going to a blood bank?
Hard to Kill. It's also the one where he's excited about the Oscahs. Yeah, the Oscahs.

____
Blog!
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 am

Hey, speaking of Seagal...

Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

Stu wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 am
Hey, speaking of Seagal...
Here was the appeal of Seagal.

The very first scene of Above the Law establishes the "reality" of Aikido. Watch the clip below and keep in mind that the year is 1988. There is no UFC. There is no cultural awareness of Brazilian Ju-Jitsu in the United States, let alone the Gracie family. By this time, the shine had worn off Ninjutsu (the phrase "Mall Ninja" was not yet in our vocabulary, but we all sensed that Ninjas were ridiculously over hyped mystic bullshit), and young men in high school had now hit themselves in the heads playing with "Nunchuks" (as we called them), dashing their dreams of becoming Bruce Lee. Then we saw this in the very beginning of the film.

The film opens not with an action scene or exposition of the plot, but rather with grounding the reality of Aikido. We see newspaper images of an ancient Aikido master flipping people around with photos of a young man who we will in the coming seconds must be the same man who is starring in the film. Movies are bullshit, but something seems partially real about all this. There is something apparently semi-autobiographical in the voice-over for this film. The old Aikido guy must have been a real dude, and these black and white pictures of a young Seagal in Japan must reveal that this Seagal guy is a real dude in real life doing some real deal martial arts. We're not watching an action film, we're watching the biography channel and being introduced to Steven Seagal aka Nico Toscani. Seagal/NIco then stands before a class of students and effortlessly combines Pimp-smacking with Judo to toss his students around like dolls (at the time, we didn't know how much "cooperation" on the part of the attacker was required for Aikido demonstrations to look so impressive).

This was the girl next door! The lure of the girl next door is aura of accessibility. And this martial art looked like something that a person of any age or build could do (remember the tiny old Japanese master we just saw), if only we too could learn these marvellous techniques! Everyone wants to be the Hulk or Bruce Lee or Harry Potter. But this seemed new and real, something that a person with love handles could do. This was birth of his magic.

As for Seagal himself, he looked like a real dude. He was not hulking slab of meat like Arnold or the perpetual splits-dropping Van Damme. This guy looked more like the average viewer, allowing further the average viewer to imagine that he could do this too. Seagal was that balding guy with a pony tail, tight jeans complete with mooseknuckle, leather jacket and probably an IROC Camaro just off screen (i.e., what a lot of working class people thought was cool back then). All they had to do was to add a bit of emphasis on "safe" ethnicity (he is very Italian fellow kids!) and the understated delivery that Clint Eastwood had perfected and we had an action hero who was the eye of the storm. He was the calm, kicking the crap attackers rushing in to get him--a notion emphasized by the defensive tendencies of Aikido to use the incoming energy of attacker against them.

It was perfect in retrospect that he was an Aikido master (how much of a master is still open to debate). He started as a real martial artist in what turned out to be a bullshit martial art (the real magic was introduced at UFC 1 when a 176 pound Royce Gracie tore through a field of legitimate mixed martial artists who massively outweighed and outsized him in an open tournament) and became, increasingly, a bullshit caricature of himself. It was the rebirth of Ninja-ology. The apparent bona-fides of the opening shots of this movie made Seagall.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Marked for Death is my favorite Seagal film by good measure. The seediness of it's subject and the drenched in so much sweat you can smell the movie really lend themselves well to Seagal's presence. Plus, they realized his martial arts were defensive and uninteresting on screen so they decided to make him an arm snapping machine.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri May 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Being a teen at the time, I guess I gobbled up most of those early Seagal films for its dumb action, but like most people, lost interest as the 90's waned. Maybe it was me growing up, or the natural shift of films towards less "dumb" action films (which is why Stallone, Arnie, Van Damme also declined), or maybe it was the collective realization that he had little talent, or that he is pretty much an asshole... but I don't think I've seen a single film of his since the 90's. As it is now, I probably can't tell any of those early ones (Out for Justice, Above the Law, Marked for Death) apart from each other. I guess my favorite would be Executive Decision, but if it doesn't count as a Seagal film, Under Siege seems to be the next choice.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri May 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Seagal's top 5 would have to be Under Siege, Above the Law. Marked for Death, Out for Justice and Under Siege 2: Dark Territory. I don't really consider Executive Decision a Seagal flick but it is worth mentioning. The only other one that even comes close to distantly qualifying might be Exit Wounds. The rest are forgettable crap. Once the novelty of his first few movies had worn off the guy's inherent creepiness was too much to overcome. Say what you will about Van Damme, at least he remained watchable. Oh and according to IMDb there's an Above the Law 2 being planned.

And as far as the nunchucks comment someone previously made I can attest to that. Copious amounts of beer, weed and teenage testosterone do not mix well with homemade nunchucks. Our cutoff point was usually when the first guy racked himself in the nuts.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Ya know, it's funny, by the time Above The Law came out I was 16 and even at that age I took one look at the trailer and just rolled my eyes. To a lot of people my age, he just came too late, the genre of 80s action was already dead, played out, and had reached the point of just being silly. So I only ever watched his movies after the fact, in college, when we would intentionally put on bad movies. Even as they were coming out everyone I interacted with thought of Seagal films as more of a punch-line than anything else. The fact that he became more and more self-serious and ridiculous, personally, as he got older, did not make it any easier to watch his movies or even go back and view his earlier films fairly or honestly. It is weird to watch a person become a caricature of themselves but if there is a textbook example of it, Seagal was it. One wonders if his fat ass could beat up my grandmother now and his "blues" "music"... I mean, I don't begrudge older people getting new hobbies, but come on, man, nobody wants to watch you "play the blues".
I mean... Jesus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlatCyoi8cw
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:30 pm
Seagal's top 5 would have to be Under Siege, Above the Law. Marked for Death, Out for Justice and Under Siege 2: Dark Territory.
Seriously? I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember US2 being painfully bad.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm
Seriously? I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember US2 being painfully bad.
This is Seagal we're talking about. The term top or best 5 doesn't hold the same cachet as it usually would.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 pm

And I was thinking that the appeal of Seagal was his affect of sleazy whispers.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat May 25, 2019 12:50 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 pm
This is Seagal we're talking about. The term top or best 5 doesn't hold the same cachet as it usually would.
:D One actor's Top 5 is another actor's Bottom 5
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 am

Ugh, you people. I should take all you Seagal haters to the bank...
To the blood bank!
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:04 pm
One wonders if his fat ass could beat up my grandmother now and his "blues" "music"... I mean, I don't begrudge older people getting new hobbies, but come on, man, nobody wants to watch you "play the blues".
I mean... Jesus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlatCyoi8cw
I'm a member of a very rare club: I've never seen a Seagal film, but I HAVE seen him play guitar live. He inexplicably showed up onstage with the Allman Brothers Band at Jazz Fest one year. (Just for one song, thankfully) When he first walked out I thought he was Steve Cropper. Imagine my disappointment when I learned the truth.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat May 25, 2019 4:27 am

Rock wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 am
To the blood bank!
:dt880: :dt880: :dt880: :dt880: :dt880: :dt880: :dt880:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat May 25, 2019 4:29 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 am
I'm a member of a very rare club: I've never seen a Seagal film, but I HAVE seen him play guitar live. He inexplicably showed up onstage with the Allman Brothers Band at Jazz Fest one year. (Just for one song, thankfully) When he first walked out I thought he was Steve Cropper. Imagine my disappointment when I learned the truth.
Oh dude, that's crushing.
The idea of seeing Steve Cropper with The Allman's... only to have it turn out to be that useless fuck (musically). It is amazing the privileges one can parlay even low-grade fame into.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

Out For Justice is a good time. US2: Dark Territory is also more fun than one would think. I bet Glimmer Man would also be worth a few laughs again having not seen it since theaters.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat May 25, 2019 5:17 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:29 am
Oh dude, that's crushing.
The idea of seeing Steve Cropper with The Allman's... only to have it turn out to be that useless fuck (musically). It is amazing the privileges one can parlay even low-grade fame into.
I just googled it to see if there's any mention of it, and it appears that on the same day he also sat in with Allen Toussaint and Gatemouth Brown. He was like a bad stomach virus going around the Fairgrounds that day.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 am

Rock wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 am
To the blood bank!
And, my god, the brisk beauty of his hands as he runs. Like oiled, slender tendrils slicing through warm tropic sluices.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Cobra Kai (season 1) - 9/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sat May 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Whoa... didn't even know about this!!!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 pm
Once again this isn't a movie but I did recently see this. Why oh why do they keep releasing these? The premise has long since been turned into a gordian knot. I suppose this might be considered canonical because of Hamilton and Schwarzenegger but at this point fans of the franchise are right to be a little skeptical.

Is she really that wrinkerly or is that CGI ? :shock:
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat May 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Really? There was a lot of promo and talk about it last year. It was surprisingly good. Season 2 was released a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't gotten to it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Thief wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:02 pm
Really? There was a lot of promo and talk about it last year. It was surprisingly good. Season 2 was released a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't gotten to it.
I mean, it is a YouTube show. Who knows about those?
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat May 25, 2019 4:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:07 pm
Seriously, is there any other YouTube show? This is the only thing I've seen.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Thief wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:08 pm
Seriously, is there any other YouTube show? This is the only thing I've seen.
I know I've seen ads for others but I couldn't name them off the top of my head at gunpoint.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Really? They just announced there will be a season three.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 pm
Is she really that wrinkerly or is that CGI ? :shock:
Dude, she's 62. I hope I look half as good at that age.

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 5:01 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:07 pm

...people who use Youtube?

I had heard good things about the show. I was recently watching a few clips from season 2 so I decided to try episode one last night. It was so good I ended up binge-watching season one all evening. (except for the last episode, which I finished this morning)

Zabka is brilliant. It's too bad he got limited casting as the 80's heavy in his early career because the guy really does have good acting chops. It's interesting because I found it difficult to know who to root for by the end, because the lines are blurred. (in a good way) It's not just the old good vs. bad, Cobra vs. Miyagi any more. All of these characters are flawed. Daniel-San isn't the snow-white hero any more, just as Johnny isn't a Kreese junior. The character development is really well done. Great soundtrack, too.

Give the first episode a chance. If it doesn't pull you in then you probably won't dig the show, but one episode was all it needed to hook me.

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:01 pm

I had heard good things about the show. I was recently watching a few clips from season 2 so I decided to try episode one last night. It was so good I ended up binge-watching season one all evening. (except for the last episode, which I finished this morning)

Zabka is brilliant. It's too bad he got limited casting as the 80's heavy in his early career because the guy really does have good acting chops. It's interesting because I found it difficult to know who to root for by the end, because the lines are blurred. (in a good way) It's not just the old good vs. bad, Cobra vs. Miyagi any more. All of these characters are flawed. Daniel-San isn't the snow-white hero any more, just as Johnny isn't a Kreese junior. The character development is really well done. Great soundtrack, too.

Give the first episode a chance. If it doesn't pull you in then you probably won't dig the show, but one episode was all it needed to hook me.
Aside from Cobra Kai, how many YouTube shows have you seen and/or can name without looking it up?
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:01 pm

I agree. It's not flawless, but it knows how to handle the inherent nostalgic beats while advancing the story to new grounds effectively. If I were to complain about something, I'm not crazy about Zabka's kid, mostly because I don't think the actor is that good. I think the last couple of episodes relied too much on him and I didn't buy much of his development. Still, it's a nitpick. The show is fully enjoyable and with every episode being just 21-22 minutes, it's a breeze.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 pm
Aside from Cobra Kai, how many YouTube shows have you seen and/or can name without looking it up?
I don't t think they've done a good job of marketing their content. I use YouTube a lot and yet I don't recall having seen any ad about anything else. However, Cobra Kai was everywhere. On website banners, Facebook ads, Twitter, etc.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Hell yeah!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat May 25, 2019 9:39 pm

I watched Angel's Egg recently, and although I'm not sure I know what it all means, I can't stop thinking about it. Such a daring and unconventional feat for anime, even for today. Also, I loved the Tarkovsky reference at the end.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 11:30 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Not sure what your point is, but the only ones I can think of are Laser Force (whatever it was - where the 5 goofballs each get a piece of power armor from space) and something else where, in the future, kids were tested and if they failed I think they were killed or something. And it turns out someone is fixing some of the tests.

I dunno - but does it matter? There's plenty of channels out there that have only 1 good show.

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 25, 2019 11:32 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm
Hell yeah!

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:30 pm
Not sure what your point is, but the only ones I can think of are Laser Force (whatever it was - where the 5 goofballs each get a piece of power armor from space) and something else where, in the future, kids were tested and if they failed I think they were killed or something. And it turns out someone is fixing some of the tests.

I dunno - but does it matter? There's plenty of channels out there that have only 1 good show.
My point is that it's perfectly okay to not be aware of the existence of a show on a network that only has 1 good show.