Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 am

Image


Let The Corpses Tan - 8.5/10

A close approximation of what a film would look like if Tarantino attempted to make a Jodorowsky movie. Sometimes hokey, but very forgivable given the sparkling cinematography and the almost defiantly sexy Elina Lowensohn. Makes the whole style/substance debate very boring.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 am
Image


Let The Corpses Tan - 8.5/10

A close approximation of what a film would look like if Tarantino attempted to make a Jodorowsky movie. Sometimes hokey, but very forgivable given the sparkling cinematography and the almost defiantly sexy Elina Lowensohn. Makes the whole style/substance debate very boring.
Can't remember if you've seen Amer or not.

If not, watch.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 26, 2019 5:06 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 am
Can't remember if you've seen Amer or not.

If not, watch.
Oh, I'm a fan of Cattet/Forzani (unlike Rock), but this film moves outside of giallo into the more mythic kind of "western", crime/revenge drama that makes the comparisons to Tarantino and Jodorowsky more relevant than their previous films.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 am
My point is that it's perfectly okay to not be aware of the existence of a show on a network that only has 1 good show.
It's a good point, but I think Youtube is a little different since it has millions of people on it every day. The odds are that someone at some point will see an ad on there for original content.

They may not remember seeing it, of course. I know I tend to tune out any ads that don't interest me, which is pretty often.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Rumpled
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am
Location: England

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rumpled » Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 am

Thief wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm
I don't t think they've done a good job of marketing their content. I use YouTube a lot and yet I don't recall having seen any ad about anything else. However, Cobra Kai was everywhere. On website banners, Facebook ads, Twitter, etc.
My youtube is ad free 8-) (i think adblock plus gets rid of them)
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 am

Green Room - Second view, a masterpiece of consequential action, and on reflection, maybe a call to arms for anti-fascists to get buck wild with it, since the endgame of neo-Nazis and fascists is control and rigidity (these lockstep stylistically identical angry boys with their red shoelaces and leather jackets). Or maybe it's a thriller for its own sake, which is just fine thank you.

Bad Times at the El Royale - An interesting, deliberately-paced (slow is the less charitable word) study of various sinners and one blameless hero at the center. Best in the middle as it folds and re-folds over itself as the narrative explains who the characters are. Curious to watch it again, as the film certainly seems to be saying something in how its villain rejects binaries while the characters try to survive in a motel literally split down the middle. Indulgent, for sure, but its indulgences fascinated me enough that I had a good time. And a fantastic cast, well-directed by Goddard.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Ergill
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ergill » Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 am
Green Room - Second view, a masterpiece of consequential action, and on reflection, maybe a call to arms for anti-fascists to get buck wild with it, since the endgame of neo-Nazis and fascists is control and rigidity (these lockstep stylistically identical angry boys with their red shoelaces and leather jackets). Or maybe it's a thriller for its own sake, which is just fine thank you.
I'm a big fan of the Yelchin voice in this. And the movie besides.
DaMU wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 am
Bad Times at the El Royale - An interesting, deliberately-paced (slow is the less charitable word) study of various sinners and one blameless hero at the center. Best in the middle as it folds and re-folds over itself as the narrative explains who the characters are. Curious to watch it again, as the film certainly seems to be saying something in how its villain rejects binaries while the characters try to survive in a motel literally split down the middle. Indulgent, for sure, but its indulgences fascinated me enough that I had a good time. And a fantastic cast, well-directed by Goddard.
I agree with some of the "hand me down Coen" jibes, but I was into the first two thirds of this. There was something that felt too cookie cutter about the Hemsworth character, not just in the character himself, but in how he was used to squeeze out the other characters' conclusions. Kind of like the Fargo series, there's this thing where other people can get a little off-key trying to redo the Coen bigmouth archetype, the philosopher-cum-palaverer posed halfway between actually telling us something about the world and just rationalizing it to themselves. Least that's the feeling I get in these cases.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 am

Cobra Kai (season 2) - 8/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 am

Ergill wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 am
I'm a big fan of the Yelchin voice in this. And the movie besides.


I agree with some of the "hand me down Coen" jibes, but I was into the first two thirds of this. There was something that felt too cookie cutter about the Hemsworth character, not just in the character himself, but in how he was used to squeeze out the other characters' conclusions. Kind of like the Fargo series, there's this thing where other people can get a little off-key trying to redo the Coen bigmouth archetype, the philosopher-cum-palaverer posed halfway between actually telling us something about the world and just rationalizing it to themselves. Least that's the feeling I get in these cases.
I think I would have liked El Royale more if it was at least half an hour shorter and Cynthia Erivo's character had more defining characteristics than singing and being sad. Even as an audience stand-in, her character felt like a big pile of nothing and a waste of a pretty good performance.

Also, I've only seen the first season of Fargo, but while I was mostly won over by the end, I didn't like the handling of the Billy Bob Thornton character. He's far too transparent to convince as a sinister mastermind, so the show overcompensates by making most of the other characters him exceedingly stupid. (I found the scenes with Oliver Platt's son practically unwatchable.) It's like No Country for Old Men, if every character other than Chigurh was Donny from The Big Lebowski.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Ergill
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ergill » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 am

Rock wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 am
I think I would have liked El Royale more if it was at least half an hour shorter and Cynthia Erivo's character had more defining characteristics than singing and being sad. Even as an audience stand-in, her character felt like a big pile of nothing and a waste of a pretty good performance.
I liked her character, as in I liked her character, but yes, one note, save for, yes, the awesome voice. If you're going for a gritty noir and you toss in both
an FBI agent
and a soul signer with hearts of gold, you've gone too egregiously idealistic. I'm skeptical of late sixties distillations of an age at this point anyway.
Rock wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 am
Also, I've only seen the first season of Fargo, but while I was mostly won over by the end, I didn't like the handling of the Billy Bob Thornton character. He's far too transparent to convince as a sinister mastermind, so the show overcompensates by making most of the other characters him exceedingly stupid. (I found the scenes with Oliver Platt's son practically unwatchable.) It's like No Country for Old Men, if every character other than Chigurh was Donny from The Big Lebowski.
Yeah, Thorton was one of those I was thinking of, and I'm probably in the same boat. There are similar characters in later seasons, aside from similar devices shoved into other characters' mouths. Though I've still liked those characters and the series on the whole, it's been a weird mix of Coen movies with very different sensibilities, of their more optimistic and pessimistic films. It feels like it's trying to create a unified Coenverse (do we have to do that with everything?), which can water down the effects of either strain. You don't want angels flying down to save the day in No Country, and you don't want evil hitmen winning the day in Raising Arizona. Not unless you think round is funny.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue May 28, 2019 5:12 am

S2 of Fargo handled that FAR better with Hanzee. S3 approached it differently with Varga and had it contained a better protagonist, I think that season would have been equal to s2. Y'all should get on that.

Also, I'm down with Hemsworth as Sexy Manson. He just needed to be substantially more shockingly brutal when he arrived. His degree of violence felt utterly anticlimactic for all the build up.
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25251
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Batman Returns (Burton, '92)

Post by Stu » Tue May 28, 2019 8:29 am

Image

The Bat, The Cat, The Penguin

I was never really a big fan of Warner Brother's first four Batman films on the whole, as they generally seemed unable to find the proper tone, and strike a decent balance between style and substance, a criticism which absolutely applies to Tim Burton's original Batman, as Burton seemed more interested in developing the character of Gotham City than in focusing on the film's actual characters, but I think I'll make an exception for its sequel, 1992's Batman Returns. Sure, it has its fair share of problems, not the least of which is its occasionally overbearing, overly dark tone, which got plenty of parental backlash at the time, and earned the ire of McDonald's and their tie-in line of movie toys, but it mostly makes up for that with plenty of Burton's signature stylistic flair, an overall sense of dark fun, and dare I say it, a surprising amount of substance, at least when it comes to the film's central relationship.

Admittedly, the story proceeds in fits and starts, kind of awkwardly going from one random plot tangent to another with basically every new scene, which shows the difficulty screenwriter Daniel Waters had in balancing the film's four major characters, not to mention all the supporting players (although the stream-of-consciousness plotting kind of enhances the film's overall dreamlike quality, and the dialogue, to Waters' credit, is relentlessly snappy and quotable). And smooth storytelling isn't really the main appeal of Returns anyway, in light of the film's incredible style and atmosphere, balancing out the inherent artificiality of its soundstage-bound Gotham City with a rich, chilly Christmas time ambience (and the typically cheerful spirit of the holiday makes for a great seasonal contrast with the film's overall tortured, cynical tone), and Returns also benefits greatly from Stefan Czapsky's grand, elegantly sweeping cinematography, Danny Elfman's darkly whimsical score, Bo Welch's gothic production design which withers Gotham under the granite stare of massive, oppressive, ominipresent statues, and Burton's macabre stylistic flourishes, and incredibly colorful, limitless sense of imagination (or at least, it seemed limitless at this point in his career... ahem).

And the characters in Returns are just as exaggerated as its aesthetics, whether it be Christopher Walken's slimy, brash, corrupt retail mogul Max Schreck, or Danny DeVito's constantly drooling, monstrously deformed, manically ranting Penguin, although at times these parts are over-the-top to a fault, especially DeVito, who, although he puts in a technically strong performance here, his character is still so needlessly, distractingly revolting and lecherous that he eventually just becomes tiresome to watch. That leaves the best character here to be Selina Kyle, portrayed in an iconic (and unfortunately, not Oscar-nominated) turn by Michelle Pfeiffer, who, while she approaches campy caricature herself sometimes as a pre-transformation Selina or the avenging feminist Catwoman, as either an outsized parody of a frizzy, bespectacled, bumbling nerd, or that nerd's silly idea of what a predatory femme fatale from Hollywood would act like in real life, she's still always utterly convincing regardless of which mode she's in, and she shines her brightest when she just gets to be herself, which is ironically the side of Selina that's caught between the two warring factions of her personality, in a portrayal that's both incredibly passionate, and hopelessly sad, confused, and lost at the same time, as a woman who can't help but be torn apart by the struggle between the vengeful vigilante she's become, and the normal woman she wishes she could be.

Her undeniable onscreen chemistry with Bruce even gives his character some substance by association, as, when he's doing the mandatory crime-fighting as Batman, he's often just a silent, glowering presence, one that's often forced to take a backseat in his own film, but his tragic romance with Selina, and the way they can't help but be drawn to one another because of the inner pain from their dual/dueling identities (which is also the reason why they're doomed to never be together in the end) is what gives his character some actual dimension here, certainly moreso than in the '89 film, where Burton hardly seemed to care to develop him in any compelling manner. So, while certainly a flawed film in certain aspects, on the whole, Batman Returns still manages to be a satisfying sort of superhero fairy tale, one that, although its quirky sensibilities do take some getting used to, they're still enjoyable once you adjust to them, so give it a chance, will ya?

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 8
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2507
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Batman Returns (Burton, '92)

Post by Wooley » Tue May 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Stu wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:29 am
Image

The Bat, The Cat, The Penguin

I was never really a big fan of Warner Brother's first four Batman films on the whole, as they generally seemed unable to find the proper tone, and strike a decent balance between style and substance, a criticism which absolutely applies to Tim Burton's original Batman, as Burton seemed more interested in developing the character of Gotham City than in focusing on the film's actual characters, but I think I'll make an exception for its sequel, 1992's Batman Returns. Sure, it has its fair share of problems, not the least of which is its occasionally overbearing, overly dark tone, which got plenty of parental backlash at the time, and earned the ire of McDonald's and their tie-in line of movie toys, but it mostly makes up for that with plenty of Burton's signature stylistic flair, an overall sense of dark fun, and dare I say it, a surprising amount of substance, at least when it comes to the film's central relationship.

Admittedly, the story proceeds in fits and starts, kind of awkwardly going from one random plot tangent to another with basically every new scene, which shows the difficulty screenwriter Daniel Waters had in balancing the film's four major characters, not to mention all the supporting players (although the stream-of-consciousness plotting kind of enhances the film's overall dreamlike quality, and the dialogue, to Waters' credit, is relentlessly snappy and quotable). And smooth storytelling isn't really the main appeal of Returns anyway, in light of the film's incredible style and atmosphere, balancing out the inherent artificiality of its soundstage-bound Gotham City with a rich, chilly Christmas time ambience (and the typically cheerful spirit of the holiday makes for a great seasonal contrast with the film's overall tortured, cynical tone), and Returns also benefits greatly from Stefan Czapsky's grand, elegantly sweeping cinematography, Danny Elfman's darkly whimsical score, Bo Welch's gothic production design which withers Gotham under the granite stare of massive, oppressive, ominipresent statues, and Burton's macabre stylistic flourishes, and incredibly colorful, limitless sense of imagination (or at least, it seemed limitless at this point in his career... ahem).

And the characters in Returns are just as exaggerated as its aesthetics, whether it be Christopher Walken's slimy, brash, corrupt retail mogul Max Schreck, or Danny DeVito's constantly drooling, monstrously deformed, manically ranting Penguin, although at times these parts are over-the-top to a fault, especially DeVito, who, although he puts in a technically strong performance here, his character is still so needlessly, distractingly revolting and lecherous that he eventually just becomes tiresome to watch. That leaves the best character here to be Selina Kyle, portrayed in an iconic (and unfortunately, not Oscar-nominated) turn by Michelle Pfeiffer, who, while she approaches campy caricature herself sometimes as a pre-transformation Selina or the avenging feminist Catwoman, as either an outsized parody of a frizzy, bespectacled, bumbling nerd, or that nerd's silly idea of what a predatory femme fatale from Hollywood would act like in real life, she's still always utterly convincing regardless of which mode she's in, and she shines her brightest when she just gets to be herself, which is ironically the side of Selina that's caught between the two warring factions of her personality, in a portrayal that's both incredibly passionate, and hopelessly sad, confused, and lost at the same time, as a woman who can't help but be torn apart by the struggle between the vengeful vigilante she's become, and the normal woman she wishes she could be.

Her undeniable onscreen chemistry with Bruce even gives his character some substance by association, as, when he's doing the mandatory crime-fighting as Batman, he's often just a silent, glowering presence, one that's often forced to take a backseat in his own film, but his tragic romance with Selina, and the way they can't help but be drawn to one another because of the inner pain from their dual/dueling identities (which is also the reason why they're doomed to never be together in the end) is what gives his character some actual dimension here, certainly moreso than in the '89 film, where Burton hardly seemed to care to develop him in any compelling manner. So, while certainly a flawed film in certain aspects, on the whole, Batman Returns still manages to be a satisfying sort of superhero fairy tale, one that, although its quirky sensibilities do take some getting used to, they're still enjoyable once you adjust to them, so give it a chance, will ya?

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 8
I think you've really nailed this here, pointing out not only the strengths and weaknesses of this (very enjoyable, if flawed) film but also how this film accentuates some of the shortcomings of its predecessor. I agree with you completely and also agree that this movie's strengths outweigh its weaknesses and make it a film worth taking time out for.
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm

To this day, I've never seen Batman Returns. Not sure why.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Ergill
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ergill » Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:12 am
S2 of Fargo handled that FAR better with Hanzee. S3 approached it differently with Varga and had it contained a better protagonist, I think that season would have been equal to s2. Y'all should get on that.
I've seen the whole show. I think of Milligan as falling more into the archetype I was thinking of, though I like how he was handled. S2 was the strongest overall.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Ergill wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 pm
I've seen the whole show. I think of Milligan as falling more into the archetype I was thinking of, though I like how he was handled. S2 was the strongest overall.
I can see that. Milligan lacked that sense of elemental forces manifested in a human that Chigurh, Grimsrud, Malvo and Hanzee seemed to have but perhaps that's why he and that season worked well for me. They split the themespeak and the force of nature into two characters rather than shackling that upon one, which is incredibly hard to pull off if you're not the Coens or McCarthy.
User avatar
Ergill
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ergill » Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 pm
They split the themespeak and the force of nature into two characters rather than shackling that upon one, which is incredibly hard to pull off if you're not the Coens or McCarthy.
Ah, 10-4.
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 pm
I can see that. Milligan lacked that sense of elemental forces manifested in a human that Chigurh, Grimsrud, Malvo and Hanzee seemed to have but perhaps that's why he and that season worked well for me. They split the themespeak and the force of nature into two characters rather than shackling that upon one, which is incredibly hard to pull off if you're not the Coens or McCarthy.
This is very true, but I also think Hanzee sets himself apart by drawing more empathy than those other characters. I think he is a tragic figure both in his initial loyalties/drive and the choices he eventually makes towards the end of the season (even if they botched it with that forced connection to Season 1 in the epilogue, but that's a whole different story).

I think the show has done an amazing job of creating a mixture of colorful characters following a formula (whether it's the honest cops, the evil villains, the silent henchmen, or the bumbling criminals) without it feeling repetitive, and that split you mention is an example of this.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 am

Samurai Movie Night has continued with the Lone Wolf and Cub series.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - Baked Korean chicken wings
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - Char Siu (Chinese BBQ pork)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - Chinese oxtail soup and scallion pancakes
(We had a night where I made Kare Kare, a Filipino oxtail soup, but we didn't get around to the movie because my former roommate who moved to NYC surprised me with a visit, so we ate and went out for karaoke instead.)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - Chicken Adobo (Filipino chicken dish - this was fantastic)

I'm enjoying these so far, especially for the pure unadulterated joy they take in absurd violence. In general it's more elliptical than the Zatoichi series, more stylistically daring and emotionally detached. I definitely agree that Katsu brings far more to his character than Wakayama does, but the Lone Wolf setup has a weird charm to it. His stoicism is downright comical at times, and we're both delighted and flabbergasted by the carnage this child has been subjected to.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Thu May 30, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I hope everyone is familiar with the Koike/Kojima manga of Lone Wolf & Cub, which is still my favorite incarnation of the tale. Nothing can quite compete with its spare, elemental ink.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Macrology wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 am
Samurai Movie Night has continued with the Lone Wolf and Cub series.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - Baked Korean chicken wings
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - Char Siu (Chinese BBQ pork)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - Chinese oxtail soup and scallion pancakes
(We had a night where I made Kare Kare, a Filipino oxtail soup, but we didn't get around to the movie because my former roommate who moved to NYC surprised me with a visit, so we ate and went out for karaoke instead.)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - Chicken Adobo (Filipino chicken dish - this was fantastic)

I'm enjoying these so far, especially for the pure unadulterated joy they take in absurd violence. In general it's more elliptical than the Zatoichi series, more stylistically daring and emotionally detached. I definitely agree that Katsu brings far more to his character than Wakayama does, but the Lone Wolf setup has a weird charm to it. His stoicism is downright comical at times, and we're both delighted and flabbergasted by the carnage this child has been subjected to.
.

Lady Snowblood or Samurai trilogy next? If you branch into Tanto/Yakuza action, Outlaw Gangster would also fit right in.

I've only seen the first but I would advise against Hanzo the Razor depending on how your friend group reacts to really casual rape by the protagonist (his primary form of interrogation).
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Fri May 31, 2019 4:15 am

Jidlo (aka Food) - Jan Svankmajer 1992 - 9/10

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23oru ... r-1992_fun

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Fri May 31, 2019 4:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:08 pm
.

Lady Snowblood or Samurai trilogy next? If you branch into Tanto/Yakuza action, Outlaw Gangster would also fit right in.

I've only seen the first but I would advise against Hanzo the Razor depending on how your friend group reacts to really casual rape by the protagonist (his primary form of interrogation).
Lady Snowblood for sure. I've actually seen all three Hanzo the Razor movies, years ago. We might watch one for kicks, but I doubt we'd watch all three.

I'm not sure we'll do Samurai Trilogy, since some of us watched those together just a year or so ago. But I do have some others in mind, and I've thought of doing themed months, so like a classics month (Seven Samurai, some version of 47 Ronin), arthouse month (Assassination, Sword of Doom), an anti-samurai month (Harakiri, Bloody Spear at Mt Fuji), ghost story themed for October (Ugetsu, Kwaidan, Onibaba). Lots of possibilities.

Jinn: I haven't read the Lone Wolf and Cub manga, but it's pretty extensive, right?
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri May 31, 2019 4:38 am

Macrology wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:29 am
Lady Snowblood for sure. I've actually seen all three Hanzo the Razor movies, years ago. We might watch one for kicks, but I doubt we'd watch all three.

I'm not sure we'll do Samurai Trilogy, since some of us watched those together just a year or so ago. But I do have some others in mind, and I've thought of doing themed months, so like a classics month (Seven Samurai, some version of 47 Ronin), arthouse month (Assassination, Sword of Doom), an anti-samurai month (Harakiri, Bloody Spear at Mt Fuji), ghost story themed for October (Ugetsu, Kwaidan, Onibaba). Lots of possibilities.

Jinn: I haven't read the Lone Wolf and Cub manga, but it's pretty extensive, right?
You could also do the Samurai Revolution trilogy (13 Assassins, the Great Killing and Eleven Samurai). I’ve only seen the first and it’s remake but the others have a comparably good reputation.

Sword of Doom is one of the absolute best that I’ve seen.

Toss in Kuroneko for the ghost themed.
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Fri May 31, 2019 4:44 am

Kuroneko is a definite possibility, though I don't like it quite as much as Onibaba. I was also thinking Ghost Story of Yotsuya (the Nakagawa version), which is a lot of fun.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 am

Macrology wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:44 am
Kuroneko is a definite possibility, though I don't like it quite as much as Onibaba. I was also thinking Ghost Story of Yotsuya (the Nakagawa version), which is a lot of fun.
I haven’t seen that one. I’ll have to add it to the list.

Kuroneko is one of the most beautiful and relaxing horror films ever made. It quite as good as Onibaba but it serves that distinction well.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Fri May 31, 2019 11:45 am

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - 8/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:15 am

Nights of Cabiria is just a wonderful film through and through. I've only seen 6 of Fellini's films, though I own several more, and each of them has been a landmark piece of cinema. I've felt the influence of this one echo through some of my own work without ever having seen it but having been inspired by those inspired by it.

Marina's eyes and smile were an international treasure.

Sorry for all the controversial and not obvious statements that I just brought to the table. I'll do better next time.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2507
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:41 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:15 am
Nights of Cabiria is just a wonderful film through and through. I've only seen 6 of Fellini's films, though I own several more, and each of them has been a landmark piece of cinema. I've felt the influence of this one echo through some of my own work without ever having seen it but having been inspired by those inspired by it.

Marina's eyes and smile were an international treasure.

Sorry for all the controversial and not obvious statements that I just brought to the table. I'll do better next time.
Yo, so I've only ever seen 8 1/2. I thought it was brilliant.
What do you recommend next?
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:41 pm
Yo, so I've only ever seen 8 1/2. I thought it was brilliant.
What do you recommend next?
Don't sleep on Dolce Vita for being the obvious choice. It's earned its rep.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:41 pm
Yo, so I've only ever seen 8 1/2. I thought it was brilliant.
What do you recommend next?
La Dolce Vita and Amarcord, man. If you want closer to the surreal, go Amarcord. If you want more of that cinema verite brilliance capturing the life of a Playboy, go LDV. They're both among the greatest I've seen.

But honestly, La Strada, Nights of Cabiria and Satyricon were all exceptional. I just don't love them as much as those other three, though I love them a great deal nonetheless.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Macrology wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:29 am
Jinn: I haven't read the Lone Wolf and Cub manga, but it's pretty extensive, right?
I think there were about 90 stories in all. The psuedo-manga that's most commonly available in America usually has three per book, with about 30 books.

I prefer the long out-of-print issues from the 80s, not simply because these were my introduction to the work, but because I like the artwork to be larger than the manga format, and I hope to see a standard size trade paperback collection eventually. But the smaller manga are fine, and I think consists of the entire original run.

The artwork focuses on the elemental, like Zen and Taoist Asian art, plenty of use of ma and space within it's stark B&W.


Image


The action is also presented with a clear feel for momentum and ferocity.


Image
User avatar
Macrology
Posts: 4232
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info! I have a friend who in Lafayette who likes the manga, I might be able to borrow some of the books from him, actually.

Looks like the film adaptations stayed true to the gore splatter, if nothing else.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Macrology wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:40 pm
Thanks for the info! I have a friend who in Lafayette who likes the manga, I might be able to borrow some of the books from him, actually.

Looks like the film adaptations stayed true to the gore splatter, if nothing else.
Just a warning, if you're getting the small manga trades or the larger omnibus editions, they all have volumes out of print towards the back end that are irritatingly pricey. So some shopping around will be necessitated.
User avatar
Apex Predator
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm
To this day, I've never seen Batman Returns. Not sure why.
It may be the first time that I realized that Tim Burton can fall in love with darkness for darkness's sake making it difficult on the viewer.

Still there are its good points such as Pfeiffer taking to the Catwoman like most cats do with milk and a dark carnival like street fight.

Kinda telling that it took a long time to bring back the titular character to the film named after him.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry - 7/10 - Hadn't seen this in years and aside from the exemplary stunt driving and muscle cars it doesn't have much to offer in the way of plot. The performances are either stick figures (Peter Fonda) or porno level bad (Susan George). Maybe she was having trouble mastering an American accent but she's a train wreck. Adam Roarke does a little better and Vic Morrow at least puts some effort into his role. He is said to have demanded a one million dollar insurance policy before he'd agree to film his helicopter scenes. He told the producers that he'd always had a premonition he'd die in a helicopter crash which turned out to be eerily true. The real stars of this however are the cars and drivers.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry - 7/10 - Hadn't seen this in years and aside from the exemplary stunt driving and muscle cars it doesn't have much to offer in the way of plot. The performances are either stick figures (Peter Fonda) or porno level bad (Susan George). Maybe she was having trouble mastering an American accent but she's a train wreck. Adam Roarke does a little better and Vic Morrow at least puts some effort into his role. He is said to have demanded a one million dollar insurance policy before he'd agree to film his helicopter scenes. He told the producers that he'd always had a premonition he'd die in a helicopter crash which turned out to be eerily true. The real stars of this however are the cars and drivers.
I blind bought this in a 2 pack Blu-ray with Ride with the Devil (a film I'd never heard of). When I responded to it fairly similarly, though a bit more generously to the performances, I was surprised that it was easily my least favorite of the two. Race with the Devil is an awesome cult film just waiting to become a cult classic. Rosemary's Baby meets DMCL and it's got Warren Oats.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:22 pm

Ugh, Peter Fonda.

DMCL was alright, but would have been better with literally anybody else in that role.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm
I blind bought this in a 2 pack Blu-ray with Ride with the Devil (a film I'd never heard of). When I responded to it fairly similarly, though a bit more generously to the performances, I was surprised that it was easily my least favorite of the two. Race with the Devil is an awesome cult film just waiting to become a cult classic. Rosemary's Baby meets DMCL and it's got Warren Oats.
RWtD is the better movie. Oates elevated just about anything he was in and Fonda, Loretta Swit and veteran character actor R.G. Armstrong helped out as well. I remember watching this the way it was meant to be watched, at a drive-in theater. I forget what the other half of the double bill was.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 pm
RWtD is the better movie. Oates elevated just about anything he was in and Fonda, Loretta Swit and veteran character actor R.G. Armstrong helped out as well. I remember watching this the way it was meant to be watched, at a drive-in theater. I forget what the other half of the double bill was.
It's great. I wish I'd gotten that experience though I did quite like just popping it on with no expectations or knowledge and having a blast.

Have you seen Kill List? I feel like RWTD may be an unmentioned influence or at least a damn fine companion pieces with some nice mirrored scenes.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:29 pm
Have you seen Kill List? I feel like RWTD may be an unmentioned influence or at least a damn fine companion pieces with some nice mirrored scenes.
Yes I have seen it but I hadn't made the connection. I can see what you mean though.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 pm
Yes I have seen it but I hadn't made the connection. I can see what you mean though.
The pastiche of various genres was enough to give some vibes but other specific scenes...
Like the cat hanging and the torch lit climax seemed direct connections.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:26 am

John Wick 3: Parabellum - 8.5/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 am

Bad Times at the El Royale - 5/10 - This movie annoyed me so much I'm open to reconsidering my admiration for Cabin in the Woods. And I know Goddard screen wrote The Martian but he had a solid book to work off of. He also cornholed the World War Z adaptation and I thought Cloverfield was overrated (still haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane). So right now my overall opinion of Drew Goddard is not a positive one. I'm so tired of these verbose pretensions. They could have shaved an hour off of this and it probably still would have dragged. I liked Jeff Bridges in this though. But he was about the only bright spot in it.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
User avatar
Charles
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Charles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 am
Image


Let The Corpses Tan - 8.5/10

A close approximation of what a film would look like if Tarantino attempted to make a Jodorowsky movie. Sometimes hokey, but very forgivable given the sparkling cinematography and the almost defiantly sexy Elina Lowensohn. Makes the whole style/substance debate very boring.
:fresh:

I prefer their Giallos, not being a Tarantino fan meself, but that movie is pure aesthetic. I love it.


Godzilla: King of the Monster (B)

The humans are mostly ass, with the only good part being Millie BB's smile that one time, but the monster stuff has a visual flair that the 2014 movie could never touch. The awakenings are all awesome and there's a ton of human POV of the monsters, so the sense of scale is definitely there, though it gets a bit lost in the climax.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2507
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:00 pm

I am just 15 minutes into Aquaman and I can't believe how bad this is. I mean, considering the money it made and the Tomatometer, I thought, right, this must be a little closer to Wonder Woman than Justice League. But it's pretty terrible in exactly the ways that all DC movies are before they really totally go to shit. Abysmal dialogue, bad characters, rushed script, silly looking CG... I can't imagine how I'm gonna make it through another 2 hours of this.
You'd think I couldn't be fooled by now after Man Of Steel, BvS, Suicide Squad, Justice League... but apparently I'm just an idiot.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2507
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Charles wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:44 pm
Godzilla: King of the Monster (B)

The humans are mostly ass, with the only good part being Millie BB's smile that one time, but the monster stuff has a visual flair that the 2014 movie could never touch. The awakenings are all awesome and there's a ton of human POV of the monsters, so the sense of scale is definitely there, though it gets a bit lost in the climax.
Sounds good.
I really don't care if there are any people in the movie at all.
User avatar
Death Proof
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Godzilla: King of Monsters - 9/10

Avengers: Endgame - 10/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 2507
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:38 pm
Godzilla: King of Monsters - 9/10

Avengers: Endgame - 10/10
I love you.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 1875
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:00 pm
I am just 15 minutes into Aquaman and I can't believe how bad this is. I mean, considering the money it made and the Tomatometer, I thought, right, this must be a little closer to Wonder Woman than Justice League. But it's pretty terrible in exactly the ways that all DC movies are before they really totally go to shit. Abysmal dialogue, bad characters, rushed script, silly looking CG... I can't imagine how I'm gonna make it through another 2 hours of this.
You'd think I couldn't be fooled by now after Man Of Steel, BvS, Suicide Squad, Justice League... but apparently I'm just an idiot.
Aquaman is my 2nd favorite in the DC universe after Man of Steel. They both have script issues but have a degree of spectacle that is fairly staggering, at heights the MCU didn’t effectively reach until Infinity War.

Aquaman especially captures a James Cameron-esque approach to spatially aware, highly complex action scenes that is simply masterful on a technical level. This made it a far more enjoyable watch than Wonder Woman, which had fairly atrocious action sequences with rubbery CGI doubles that looked straight out of Blade 2.

A harmless, popcorn romp with fun world building and an enjoyable lead.
Post Reply