Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:45 pm
I wrote it up in Thief's thread and the Horrorcram.

I thought that the first act dragged a bit, but I really liked the second half and the very ending in particular. Stewart is great.
I'd say I'm with you on the first act. I had a bit of difficulty getting into it. Maybe it might flow better with a second viewing though. This usually works for me when getting into slow paced films. Hopefully, it works for this one as well. The moment she
got the first text message though, I was instantly on board with it. So many questions were arising out of that aspect. For instance, maybe that wasn't her brother after all and she was actually speaking to a real, dangerous person. The constant, looming possibility that she could've been walking into someone else's trap definitely had me on edge throughout the film. The hotel scene where the texter was revealed to be heading up to her room was quite tense, in particular. Some people may dislike the ambiguity at the end, but I like how it gave a subtle hint that the ghosts were a manifestation of her grief. I also found Erwin's presumed death to be quite a beautiful way to handle ambiguity.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 pm
I'd say I'm with you on the first act. I had a bit of difficulty getting into it. Maybe it might flow better with a second viewing though. This usually works for me when getting into slow paced films. Hopefully, it works for this one as well. The moment she
got the first text message though, I was instantly on board with it. So many questions were arising out of that aspect. For instance, maybe that wasn't her brother after all and she was actually speaking to a real, dangerous person. The constant, looming possibility that she could've been walking into someone else's trap definitely had me on edge throughout the film. The hotel scene where the texter was revealed to be heading up to her room was quite tense, in particular. Some people may dislike the ambiguity at the end, but I like how it gave a subtle hint that the ghosts were a manifestation of her grief. I also found Erwin's presumed death to be quite a beautiful way to handle ambiguity.
I was also pulled in as soon as the
texts began. It added a jolt of mystery and pushed the ambiguity of reality versus fantasy/paranormal.

What made you say that Erwin dies? I don't remember that being implied.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm
I was also pulled in as soon as the
texts began. It added a jolt of mystery and pushed the ambiguity of reality versus fantasy/paranormal.

What made you say that Erwin dies? I don't remember that being implied.
Isn't the guy moving behind her in this scene Erwin? It's a bit blurry, but he looked kind of similar to him. This is what raised doubts for me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm
Isn't the guy moving behind her in this scene Erwin? It's a bit blurry, but he looked kind of similar to him. This is what raised doubts for me.
I thought that was
meant to be Lewis, her brother. And she's manifesting him there by thinking about him. It's his "ghost" that smashes the glass. To me the hair and physical build look different.

I looked on the IMDb to see if an actor was credited for that part. There's no one listed as playing Lewis.

That's not to say you're wrong--it's just not how I read the scene.

If it is Erwin, it means that either she's being haunted by a "future" ghost, or that Erwin managed to die in the short amount of time between him leaving the backyard and the glass being dropped.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm
I thought that was
meant to be Lewis, her brother. And she's manifesting him there by thinking about him. It's his "ghost" that smashes the glass. To me the hair and physical build look different.

I looked on the IMDb to see if an actor was credited for that part. There's no one listed as playing Lewis.

That's not to say you're wrong--it's just not how I read the scene.

If it is Erwin, it means that either she's being haunted by a "future" ghost, or that Erwin managed to die in the short amount of time between him leaving the backyard and the glass being dropped.
I wonder if the director said anything on this scene. It's probably more realistic that it would be Lewis. I just feel like it's still possible that he may be Erwin.

I went to look at the closing credits for this film, and I didn't find anyone named Lewis. There was someone playing "Ghost", but this may have been the person who played the apparition of Lewis in an earlier sequence.

I'll have to think about this scene.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm
Personal Shopper is a film which isn't going to work for everyone, but for me, I enjoyed it. The ambiguity of several aspects created immense feelings of dread and mystery which have lingered with me for a while. Stewart was great. What are all of your thoughts on it?
This movie gave me more anxiety than most actual horror movies do. It also really captures the stressfulness of texting while most films usually try to ignore all modern ways of communicating out of convenience.
I think it is a beautiful, fascinating enigma that doesn't work for a 100% but is really effective when it does.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 am
This movie gave me more anxiety than most actual horror movies do. It also really captures the stressfulness of texting while most films usually try to ignore all modern ways of communicating out of convenience.
I think it is a beautiful, fascinating enigma that doesn't work for a 100% but is really effective when it does.
Indeed. Texting sequences in horror/thriller movies usually don't do a whole lot for me in terms of suspense, but I really liked the way this movie handled it. First, the texts started off innocuous. Then, they slowly got more suggestive as the film went on.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 am

Something Wild (60s version)

First 25-30 minutes: "Wow, this is like, really good. Very insightful. Gosh." 9/10

Middle 30-45 minutes: "Um, okay. I mean, they seem to know that this is creepy?" 6.5/10

Final 10 minutes: "WHAT?!?!?! OH, HELL NO!!!" 2/10
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:33 am

Hud - 9/10

Another solid 60's Paul Newman entry that I enjoyed more so than Harper, which I watched last week, every one of the main actors brought their game. This one will stay with me for a bit.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:01 am

Cries and Whispers is a hell of a film. Even by Bergman's exceptionally high standards, everything seemed to be firing on all standards. It felt like Bergman pushing his ideosyncracies and interests to their most extreme limits, perhaps eclipsing even Persona and Hour of the Wolf.

On a connected note, I watched an interview (well, about half of it) with him and Erland Josephson and while the latter seemed affable enough, Bergman's chauvinism came through and it was strange hearing a man rationalize his infidelities and neglecting his 9 children while waxing about being a dinosaur and lucky to have been from his era as modern women wouldn't likely put up with his behavior.

It's particularly strange as Bergman's films have such a strong focus and emphasis on femininity and womanhood as well as the psychological toll abuse and neglect within the family can cause.

While less extreme, it reminded me of how Polanski made Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown and not only committed the statutory rape of a young girl but was allegedly a philandering and neglectful husband to Sharon Tate.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm

topherH wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:33 am
Hud - 9/10

Another solid 60's Paul Newman entry that I enjoyed more so than Harper, which I watched last week, every one of the main actors brought their game. This one will stay with me for a bit.
Excellent f***ing movie. Excellent. Easily my favorite Newman performance.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Beau

Post by Beau » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Films. What were those?

Jesus, my cinephile self has been on a long, long vacation.
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Beau wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Films. What were those?

Jesus, my cinephile self has been on a long, long vacation.
Same. Did I ever even like films? Was Dog Star Man ever really one of my "favorite" films, or was I just flexing for an audience of none? My life was a complete garbage fire and I emerged triumphantly at the other side with an unclear sense of who I am, but feel like I'm closer to figuring that out than ever before. Life is fucking weird.
Beau

Post by Beau » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Blevo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:04 pm
Same. Did I ever even like films? Was Dog Star Man ever really one of my "favorite" films, or was I just flexing for an audience of none? My life was a complete garbage fire and I emerged triumphantly at the other side with an unclear sense of who I am, but feel like I'm closer to figuring that out than ever before. Life is fucking weird.
All things that are true. I read, play video games, and work a lot. I occasionally watch a movie with friends. I become aware of screenings I never go to. There's a Mizoguchi retrospective, on celluloid, in Buenos Aires' most iconic art house. I just nod.

I'm like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, except I'm still not sure what animal or insect I'm mutating into.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Aw, you guys. :(

I may not watch more than 5 or 10 movies a month now, but I still love all my favorites. I hope I never turn into a bug that doesn't love movies!
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 pm

It will probably come back around at some point. I'm not mad at movies, but I was mad at me for immersing myself in them to avoid addressing the issues in my life that needed attention. That's getting better, though.
Beau

Post by Beau » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:00 pm
Aw, you guys. :(

I may not watch more than 5 or 10 movies a month now, but I still love all my favorites. I hope I never turn into a bug that doesn't love movies!
I love movies. I just never find the time for them anymore. Books, video-games, and television series are easier to fit into my schedule. I still think in movie terms, though. And I still write film criticism. I'm sure I'll return to my cinephile ways, eventually.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Man, Year of the Dragon is so close to my exact kind of film. It's a neo-noir with garrish color and a sense of grandiose scale that only a filmmaker as notoriously excessive as Cimino could muster and a quality lead performance from Rourke.

It's a shame that the lead women are terrible in every sense of the word. They're shallow, poorly acted (especially Ariane) and only there to be abused, either sexually, emotionally, violently or all of the above. They only exist to accent what a dirtbag Rourke's hero is and that's a shame because he's got plenty of things that make him an interesting dirtbag but his relationships only serve to drop this into a melodramatic slot every time one of them is on screen.

Other than that and potentially iffy handling of racism (I legitimately don't think the film itself is racist but it is a tad clumsy, heavy handed and tactless, fitting given Oliver Stone is it's co-author.

Still, despite my complaints, those aforementioned strengths made me a fan. It's just frustrating to see something so close to a masterpiece get married by what should've been easily avoidable pitfalls during the writing and casting stages.
Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 pm

That all sounds like cinephilia in practice. Life is better when cinema is a dim afterthought proceding a burst of bright light.
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Eminence Grise wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 pm
That all sounds like cinephilla in practice. Life is better when cinema is a dim afterthought proceding a burst of bright light.
Sounds about right. Any preoccupation that survives my obsessive, destructive curiosity phase and finds a place in my life afterwards is appreciated with more subtlety and authenticity.
Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm
Personal Shopper is a film which isn't going to work for everyone, but for me, I enjoyed it. The ambiguity of several aspects created immense feelings of dread and mystery which have lingered with me for a while. Stewart was great. What are all of your thoughts on it?
Here is SM and I discussing it.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Blevo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 pm
It will probably come back around at some point. I'm not mad at movies, but I was mad at me for immersing myself in them to avoid addressing the issues in my life that needed attention. That's getting better, though.
Now I get it. And I'm glad it's getting better.
Beau wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:27 pm
I still think in movie terms, though. And I still write film criticism. I'm sure I'll return to my cinephile ways, eventually.
This is good. I hope I'm around for it. :)
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Eminence Grise wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:37 pm
Good times!
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I think the last two films I watched were all I watched in the last 4 or so months... and they were both AMAZING. How's that for being selective?

I'd like to think that I'm not falling out of my cinephile ways, just getting so much better. In between, I'm busy destroying my body doing rad things with fun people. What's not to like?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Eminence Grise wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:37 pm
Really good shit. :up:

After I finish up with Burning, I think I might watch PS again as all that discussion has inspired me to do so.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Also, during college, I'm usually able to watch one or two movies a week. That's what's great about summer though. So much free time!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm on a pretty extensive movie hiatus. Many many years of watching 2 to 3 movies a day finally led to complete burn out. Stopped having the ability to even absorb them anymore. I would forget what I watched an hour after watching it, which seemed a pretty dumb way to proceed with life. Now I get to be in bed at a time not totally stupid and supposedly have lots of free time to do fun things like socialize.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 pm

I can definitely understand cinephilia blow-out, even if I haven't experienced it myself. Two or three films a day would be too much for me. I found that, even when I watched 2 films a day, neither film got the full attention it deserved. I decided early on to let films marinate, and generally limit myself to one a day, max.

I'm 33 and still watching roughly a film per day (more like .7 films per day, about 5-6 per week). But these are often short films, and I'm not religious about it. If some friends feel like going out, I'll gladly forego my daily film intake for a social experience.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 pm

I've watched 128 films this summer but my TV watching has mostly ceased. I still manage a social life but I instinctually work film watching into my day so I watch about 2 or 3 films a day. When I return to work, that'll probably drop to about 1 a day.

I've been particularly cinematically ravenous this year though.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 pm
I've watched 128 films this summer but my TV watching has mostly ceased. I still manage a social life but I instinctually work film watching into my day so I watch about 2 or 3 films a day. When I return to work, that'll probably drop to about 1 a day.

I've been particularly cinematically ravenous this year though.
Oh boy, when I wasn't working I would watch up to five a day. I've always maintained a relatively decent social life around my obsessions, generally forgoing sleep to manage it, but now in my 40s realized I needed to start prioritizing different things. Seeing every movie ever made is no longer seeming so essential.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Macrology wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 pm
. I decided early on to let films marinate
This is my aim. My slowed pace has allowed me to linger over Other Side of the Wind and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I normally would have just blown past my undefined first impressions and lost all details in thinking about them. Giving them space in my brain has been wonderful for my feelings towards both.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:51 pm

My goal is to watch every movie I see again at least a day or so after I first see it. That way, I get more out of them. If it's just some dumb fun movie though, I'd be okay with one viewing.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 pm
Oh boy, when I wasn't working I would watch up to five a day. I've always maintained a relatively decent social life around my obsessions, generally forgoing sleep to manage it, but now in my 40s realized I needed to start prioritizing different things. Seeing every movie ever made is no longer seeming so essential.
I'm a teacher so those week or month long breaks where the wife is at work and all my friends are at their jobs leaves me with my only response being to make sure my pets down heatstroke so we just chill and watch movies till the world decided to keep us company again.

That combined with my best friend preferring to hang out and mock films, my wife and mom loving to watch films, there's a large amount of overlap between socializing and filmwatching.

I just don't really get tired of it the way others seem to and I'm frequently reading things that inspire a bit of competition, like when Ari Aster rattles off a bunch of inspirations and I want to see what he's talking about if I haven't already.

I don't aspire to watch every film but I do aspire to always watch film.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 pm

I just don't really get tired of it the way others seem to and I'm frequently reading things that inspire a bit of competition, like when Ari Aster rattles off a bunch of inspirations
I'm not so much tired as reevaluating. My compulsive film watching has been going on since I was about five until about six months ago. It's an ungodly amount of movies that have happened in those years and I felt almost compelled to keep up this pace forever. At least until I wondered why? Not having an answer was all I needed to pull back some.

Listening to the inspiration of directors though I feel is the best navigational force out there. So I get that.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:39 pm

I recall a fascination with movies early in childhood. When I got around to the forums in 2012 and realized I hadn't seen so many films. It became almost a day job and in some aspects looking at it now trophy collecting. It hit me one day that it's a never ending chase for some status that you won't ever reach. The thought of 'wow, shouldn't I be out doing something more constructional than staring at a TV for 15 + hrs a week". I'm finishing up a run here the past few weeks but I don't have anything in que for a while I hope. I guess the only urge I have now is revisiting things I hadn't seen in many years and looking at it from a different perspective. People are strange in 2019 so I dont engage that much, just laugh at the stupidity.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 pm
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I'm savoring this one right now, too! I'm no fan of Tarantino, or DiCaprio either, for that matter. But I really like this movie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:02 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 pm
I'm not so much tired as reevaluating. My compulsive film watching has been going on since I was about five until about six months ago. It's an ungodly amount of movies that have happened in those years and I felt almost compelled to keep up this pace forever. At least until I wondered why? Not having an answer was all I needed to pull back some.

Listening to the inspiration of directors though I feel is the best navigational force out there. So I get that.
My "why" is two points:

1) I'm determined to be a filmmaker and I feel like I need to be an expert on the medium to do so.

2) Watching movies makes me happier than most activities. I love going to concerts, bars, festivals, museums, new cities, restaurants, etc. But I never love them enough to feel like they dwarf my enjoyment of a great film.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I love going to concerts, bars, festivals, museums, new cities, restaurants, etc. But I never love them enough to feel like they dwarf my enjoyment of a great film.
Same here!

Also, I've been really enjoying revisiting favorite films as I transfer my thread posts to my blog.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 am

This is an interesting conversation.

I have a friend from college who confessed to me the last time we hung out that he just wasn't as into film as he'd been in his teen years through mid twenties.

I think that sometimes taking a step back and thinking about why you continue to pursue a hobby is a good idea. For me, watching a lot of movies came from some different impulses. The first is that my mother knows a ton about film and it's a great way to bond with her. The second is that I love visual language, and so seeing all the different versions of that was exciting. The third, honestly, is that I have a completist impulse. If there's a "Top 50 Horror Movies" and I've seen 43 out of the 50, those last 7 films are going to bug me.

I've definitely scaled down the number of films that I watch, and a lot of that has been letting go of that completist impulse. I'm not going to give a movie my time if I'm not actually interested in it. My "breaking point" with this actually came when I was looking at a top 50 list. I only had about 3 films left and I'd have the whole list complete. But one of the films was from a director whose films I do not watch for personal/moral reasons. So was I going to watch a movie I didn't want to watch just to check a box? Nope. So I can never finish that list. Well . . . . okay.

I've also found, in recent years, a much better balance between cinematic "literature" and cinematic "beach reads". For a long time I prioritized more serious dramas over the "fluff" of action/sci-fi/mysteries. But it's kind of emotionally exhausting to watch a gruelingly realistic portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship, then transition to a film about a man's life being systematically destroyed by racism, then to a story of a man dying of a terminal illness trying to come to terms with his past. I mean, those can all be amazing experiences on their own, but I'm highly empathetic and so much vicarious sorrow and anxiety was really getting to me.

These days I just watch . . . what I want to watch. I watched Cooties, then I watched Kuroneko. I've grown a lot more immune to other people's proclamations about what movies I should be watching. What I value now in film is how a story speaks to me and how it helps me to connect to other people. Pushing to horror extremes, checking off films on various top lists, running the canon--they just aren't priorities for me anymore.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 am

I would also say as your age and become more attuned to film you have a tendency to make better choices. You can guess which ones are worth your time. Before that, I was notching close to 200-300 new watches with some rewatches mixed in. Mix this with a helping of FOMO it becomes like heroin. (Apologies to those with addictions).
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 am

geez even when I was unemployed, I never watched more than one movie per day. gotta savor these things not pop 'em in one after another like they were potato chips. how else would I have time to go to the gym?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:47 am

I've been thinking about getting Prime installed in my coffin, honestly. #momovies4me

The Gospel According to Al Green - 8/10

I haven't seen a single bad documentary yet from Robert Mugge, very much an adherent of the Pennebaker/Blank school of music docs, eschewing talking head tributizing in favor of letting the artists speak for themselves, predominantly on stage. In this vein, his Joyful Noise (Sun Ra), Black Wax (Gil Scott-Heron) and Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) are all excellent looks at the inspirational and performative process of these singular voices.

In Gospel, Mugge captures Green at a commercial low-ebb, in the early 80s after he had turned his back on secular success to focus on his religious roots. The film eventually gets to the grits (the notorious tragedy which spurred his religious recommitment), but Green is still very guarded in interviews, shielded by the shyness and sweetness recognizable from his early stage persona. In the film's footage of his gospel performances, including an extended climax from his Memphis church, Green lets his vulnerability shine, in the kenotic tradition of soul music, the cathartically palpable spiritual potential that transcends doctrine and dogma into emotionally effluviant elation and release. Without proselytizing, the film is a demonstration of a sensitive soul's need to be redeemed from his selfishness. And, if you haven't heard, he can sing pretty good too.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:11 am

though the movies = heroin probably applies to me and I am not proud of this.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:11 am
though the movies = heroin probably applies to me and I am not proud of this.
Everybody had a hard year, everybody let their hair down, everybody pulled their socks up, everybody put their foot down. Oh yeah.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Since about 2011, I used to watch at least 3-7 movies a week, but it's been waning in the last few months. I'm at like 2-3 movies/month now. I've been more tired these days so I have a harder time sitting down to watch quality movies, so I watch shovelware horror movies and stuff like Barbie, because I still like movies as a medium, but it's hard to get what's there to be gotten from actual art cinema.

I'd say I appreciate movies a lot more now that I watch fewer than I did back then. I used to, if I can put it that way, slowly binge movies without really taking the time to enjoy them properly, so it's not all for the worse. It's nice to only have one movie to think about for a whole week.
Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 am
These days I just watch . . . what I want to watch. I watched Cooties, then I watched Kuroneko. I've grown a lot more immune to other people's proclamations about what movies I should be watching. What I value now in film is how a story speaks to me and how it helps me to connect to other people. Pushing to horror extremes, checking off films on various top lists, running the canon--they just aren't priorities for me anymore.
Amen to that. Being comfortable in your own taste and watching movies according to that only is the best. Don't have to care about being taken seriously if you liked this one or didn't watch that one.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 am
This is an interesting conversation.

I have a friend from college who confessed to me the last time we hung out that he just wasn't as into film as he'd been in his teen years through mid twenties.

I think that sometimes taking a step back and thinking about why you continue to pursue a hobby is a good idea. For me, watching a lot of movies came from some different impulses. The first is that my mother knows a ton about film and it's a great way to bond with her. The second is that I love visual language, and so seeing all the different versions of that was exciting. The third, honestly, is that I have a completist impulse. If there's a "Top 50 Horror Movies" and I've seen 43 out of the 50, those last 7 films are going to bug me.

I've definitely scaled down the number of films that I watch, and a lot of that has been letting go of that completist impulse. I'm not going to give a movie my time if I'm not actually interested in it. My "breaking point" with this actually came when I was looking at a top 50 list. I only had about 3 films left and I'd have the whole list complete. But one of the films was from a director whose films I do not watch for personal/moral reasons. So was I going to watch a movie I didn't want to watch just to check a box? Nope. So I can never finish that list. Well . . . . okay.

I've also found, in recent years, a much better balance between cinematic "literature" and cinematic "beach reads". For a long time I prioritized more serious dramas over the "fluff" of action/sci-fi/mysteries. But it's kind of emotionally exhausting to watch a gruelingly realistic portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship, then transition to a film about a man's life being systematically destroyed by racism, then to a story of a man dying of a terminal illness trying to come to terms with his past. I mean, those can all be amazing experiences on their own, but I'm highly empathetic and so much vicarious sorrow and anxiety was really getting to me.

Arthouse/experimental/creative comedies give you all the perks of a beach read, except far better, and all of the perks of literature, except the ability to convince pretentious idiots that a comedy is as artistically valuable as a drama. This is not to say that Anchorman is equivalent to The Second Circle - it is to say that A Zed and Two Noughts is, though.

On the other topic, I’ve long, long been a one-film-a-day kind of person. I often don’t even like to see another unless I’ve had a fruitful discussion or at least writing/thinking session so that I have actually engaged with the film and not merely seen it. Merely seeing a great film is a waste, to me.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Burning (2018) - 9/10

This film blew me away on a handful of fronts. I think Lee did a great job at effectively conveying the emotions of the characters. This was conveyed by a number of stylistic strategies such as the camera placement, the set design, and the acting. For instance, take Jong-su's jealousy of Ben in the first half. Several sequences featuring Jong-su remaining silent as Ben and Hae-mi continue to chat and get to know each other around him, his various glances and remarks at the two which effortlessly capture subtle, yet firm expressions of alienation and melancholy, and all kinds of visual details which demonstrate how Ben is everything which Jong-su isn't succeed in getting under your skin far better than any direct statement of his jealousy would've been able to accomplish. Around the halfway point though, Ben confesses something to Jong-su which sends the film in a whole new direction (a change which is telegraphed to us by an abrupt and completely silent scene). This direction adds a consistent layer of slow burning suspense to the film which characterizes the rest of it. Throughout this part of the film, many indications that something is up are given to us as it goes on. In addition, Lee also makes us second guess a couple other details brought up earlier in the film which we believed to be true. As much as we (and Jong-su for that matter) hope to receive a definitive answer though, Lee refuses to supply us with one. He chooses to leave us hanging with a shred of doubt that we wish to see satisfied throughout the second half. Since the film is told from the point of view of Jong-su though, we go along and side with him. Does he do the right thing at the end though? The shred of doubt we've had throughout is what makes the payoff so effective. Once the credits roll, you can't stop thinking about what you've just seen.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm

I think it was about the forgotten white working class. (Shifty eyes.)

But yes, I liked that one. Ambiguously menacing.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 pm

topherH wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 am
I would also say as your age and become more attuned to film you have a tendency to make better choices. You can guess which ones are worth your time. Before that, I was notching close to 200-300 new watches with some rewatches mixed in. Mix this with a helping of FOMO it becomes like heroin. (Apologies to those with addictions).
Same. There was a completist attitude to me about these things (similar to Tak a little), and there still is to a degree. Recently I meant to watch 1922 and Gerald's Game as a sort of forced detox after some shitty life stuff, but as soon as I was done with them, it was like, "Well, I should definitely watch A Good Marriage and Pet Sematary and Cell and then Big Driver so I'm all caught up with Stephen King films," and it's like, who's fucking keeping score? Who is this for? It didn't feel like fun, it felt like self-imposed homework.

The actual watching of the movie is fine, it's the weird surrounding attitude. It's probably to feel a bit of control. Organization is therapeutic. And so on.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm
Man, Year of the Dragon is so close to my exact kind of film. It's a neo-noir with garrish color and a sense of grandiose scale that only a filmmaker as notoriously excessive as Cimino could muster and a quality lead performance from Rourke.

It's a shame that the lead women are terrible in every sense of the word. They're shallow, poorly acted (especially Ariane) and only there to be abused, either sexually, emotionally, violently or all of the above. They only exist to accent what a dirtbag Rourke's hero is and that's a shame because he's got plenty of things that make him an interesting dirtbag but his relationships only serve to drop this into a melodramatic slot every time one of them is on screen.

Other than that and potentially iffy handling of racism (I legitimately don't think the film itself is racist but it is a tad clumsy, heavy handed and tactless, fitting given Oliver Stone is it's co-author.

Still, despite my complaints, those aforementioned strengths made me a fan. It's just frustrating to see something so close to a masterpiece get married by what should've been easily avoidable pitfalls during the writing and casting stages.
I loved this movie when I was a teenager. I was a big Mickey Rourke fan in his heyday. I still think The Pope Of Greenwich Village and Rumble Fish are two of the better films of that decade. And Year Of The Dragon and A Prayer For The Dying were favorites. I liked Angel Heart back then but it does NOT hold up.