Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Death Proof

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Death Proof » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Hobbs & Shaw - 7/10

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Sansho the Bailiff - 9/10

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 pm
I unabashedly put Winter Soldier at the top tier of the Marvel films I've seen (which is most of them). The fractured friendship between Bucky and Steve is one of the few emotional elements in the entire Marvel universe that has any teeth, and it carried over nicely into Civil War (a film I didn't love, but did respect for the character-based conflicts).

Every Marvel film sees the world in peril, and you never actually worry that the world will end. The only real stakes come from what the characters may have to personally sacrifice to achieve their goal. I felt that impact most strongly in Winter Soldier.
On the one hand, Civil War is actually the only film where there actually is no world-in-peril conflict. It's all a ruse just to splinter the relationship between Tony and Steve and it works and it's very sad (to me).
On the other hand, I totally agree with you that the real stakes in Marvel is "what the characters may have to personally sacrifice to achieve their goal" and that is exactly why I like Marvel movies so much. And I agree it is also well done in The Winter Soldier.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 am

MCU films where the world is not in peril:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man (arguable as they do imply the tech would get into the wrong hands but it still doesn't seem like a world ender)
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man Homecoming
Ant Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man Far From Home (because of... Ya know..)

I left off Winter Soldier and Black Panther because large scale genocide is a big enough threat that it seemed semantics to argue about "saving the world."
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:57 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 am
MCU films where the world is not in peril
World in peril. Evil plot. Bad guy to defeat.

My point was just that the real suspense of these films (for me) comes from the personal stakes of the hero taking on the threat. What they might lose or give up in order to save the day, whatever it might mean to "save the day". If the bad guy is building an army of evil robots, you know that the bad guy and his evil army will be toast by the time the credits roll. A lot of the Marvel films are unmemorable to me because the characters just don't anchor me strongly enough to care much about the specifics of what's happening to them.

Iron Man is a good example of a film where the characters really don't do much for me. Stark is an arrogant narcissist. Pepper Potts is kind of meh. I care about them as the film's protagonists, but I do not find them or their relationship particularly compelling.

What I do remember from that film (which I haven't seen since it came out in 2008) speaks to this. I vividly remember Stark's relationship with his fellow captive, his emotional and explosive reaction to that man's death, and his escape from the camp where he was held. But I had to go to Wikipedia to remember who the bad guy was and what his evil plan was and how the movie ended.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm
However, I can't fathom thinking the Cap films aren't near the top of the MCU.
You need to work on your fathoming. ;)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:57 am
World in peril. Evil plot. Bad guy to defeat.

My point was just that the real suspense of these films (for me) comes from the personal stakes of the hero taking on the threat. What they might lose or give up in order to save the day, whatever it might mean to "save the day". If the bad guy is building an army of evil robots, you know that the bad guy and his evil army will be toast by the time the credits roll. A lot of the Marvel films are unmemorable to me because the characters just don't anchor me strongly enough to care much about the specifics of what's happening to them.

Iron Man is a good example of a film where the characters really don't do much for me. Stark is an arrogant narcissist. Pepper Potts is kind of meh. I care about them as the film's protagonists, but I do not find them or their relationship particularly compelling.

What I do remember from that film (which I haven't seen since it came out in 2008) speaks to this. I vividly remember Stark's relationship with his fellow captive, his emotional and explosive reaction to that man's death, and his escape from the camp where he was held. But I had to go to Wikipedia to remember who the bad guy was and what his evil plan was and how the movie ended.
I think the strength of the characters is precisely why the MCU is so successful. People don't tune in to find out about the "problem" they have to fix, that's fairly perfunctory (at least in function, Civil War and Infinity War are pretty ingenuous in their manipulations of these expectations) but rather because they want to see what's going on with these characters and eventually how these characters interact. The appeal is the desire to see what happens when Rocket and Stark interact rather than how they will defeat the intergalactic threat (though with IW, that proved to be just as much of a pull so perhaps I should have said Thor and Hulk in Ragnarok).

I think you should rewatch Iron Man. I had a fairly low opinion of phase one but binged it with a friend while riding an Endgame high and it's rather incredible how subsequent films elevated them by revealing the fruit that these seeds would bear (or however the hell metaphorical plants work).

DaMU, I scienced it and the results are unfathomable.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:13 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 am
I think the strength of the characters is precisely why the MCU is so successful. People don't tune in to find out about the "problem" they have to fix, that's fairly perfunctory (at least in function, Civil War and Infinity War are pretty ingenuous in their manipulations of these expectations) but rather because they want to see what's going on with these characters and eventually how these characters interact.
While I think that the Marvel universe has, overall, stocked itself with an array of interesting characters, my most common feeling about Marvel films is that the final third always ends up with over-long action sequences and I get really bored. I don't find a lot of the action interesting (one example is that during the airport fight in Civil War I was like "How long is this going to take?!" and had to fight the urge to fast-forward because I was worried I was going to miss something important to the plot), and whatever emotion the films have built often just gets drowned out for me in these never-ending action set-pieces.

Like, I know that I am in an extreme minority when I say that a lot of the action at the end of Thor: Ragnarok didn't get my pulse going.

There's some fundamental element of chemistry with me and most Marvel films that keeps me from really loving them. I think that most of them are fine/fun, but finding myself getting bored or suddenly realizing I've tuned out (as when I was watching Infinity War and suddenly was like "Hey, when did
Thor get his eye back?!
") is a pretty common occurrence. I love some of the character moments sprinkled through them (like Loki's grief when
his mother is killed
), but as a "whole meal" they rarely satisfy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:16 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:13 am
While I think that the Marvel universe has, overall, stocked itself with an array of interesting characters, my most common feeling about Marvel films is that the final third always ends up with over-long action sequences and I get really bored. I don't find a lot of the action interesting (one example is that during the airport fight in Civil War I was like "How long is this going to take?!" and had to fight the urge to fast-forward because I was worried I was going to miss something important to the plot), and whatever emotion the films have built often just gets drowned out for me in these never-ending action set-pieces.

Like, I know that I am in an extreme minority when I say that a lot of the action at the end of Thor: Ragnarok didn't get my pulse going.

There's some fundamental element of chemistry with me and most Marvel films that keeps me from really loving them. I think that most of them are fine/fun, but finding myself getting bored or suddenly realizing I've tuned out (as when I was watching Infinity War and suddenly was like "Hey, when did
Thor get his eye back?!
") is a pretty common occurrence. I love some of the character moments sprinkled through them (like Loki's grief when
his mother is killed
), but as a "whole meal" they rarely satisfy.
I can completely get that (though I'm a sucker for spectacle and action). I just approach the films with the same sensibility as a TV show, albeit the biggest, most expensive TV show. Some episodes are more filler than others while some are big events in and of themselves. How ever, there's always a cumulative effect that builds upon previous films that leads to a greater sum than just that single film.

That's where they become a "whole meal" because on their own, some are meat, others potatoes and some are desert.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Sansho the Bailiff - 9/10
This is just coming on my radar and I added it to my queue (which of course has 400+ movies in it, but still).
I should be looking forward to it?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 am
MCU films where the world is not in peril:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man (arguable as they do imply the tech would get into the wrong hands but it still doesn't seem like a world ender)
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man Homecoming
Ant Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man Far From Home (because of... Ya know..)

I left off Winter Soldier and Black Panther because large scale genocide is a big enough threat that it seemed semantics to argue about "saving the world."
Good point. That's funny, I guess it just seems that way since First Avenger, The Avengers, Age Of Ultron, Thor 2, Thor 3, Winter Soldier and Black Panther (I'd call that world-in-peril, easily), Doctor Strange, Guardians 1 & 2, Infinity War, Endgame all have the (a) world or the galaxy or universe or whatever in peril.
Weren't the Kree gonna wipe out Earth at the end of Captain Marvel, too? I can't remember, I rewatched the movie the other night hoping it would be better than my theater experience with it, but it was actually even worse and I turned it off early.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:57 am

That's a good point by the way, one that the MCU actually plays on all the way up to the end. The moment between Steve and Tony in The Avengers when Cap tells Tony he's "not the guy to make the sacrifice play" nicely dovetails throughout Tony's entire subsequent journey through the MCU as he tries to come up with every way imaginable to protect the world using his narcissism as his main tool and often to disastrous effects (always calling back to his response to Cap that rather than lay across barbed-wire so the other guy can crawl over you, he would just cut the wire), until of course, he becomes exactly that person Steve is describing. It's a nice arc spanning a lot of movies.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:49 pm
This is just coming on my radar and I added it to my queue (which of course has 400+ movies in it, but still).
I'll second the film. It's pretty great.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:49 pm
Ebert quoted another film critic to describe his own experience:

"Anthony Lane, the film critic for The New Yorker, did a profile of Mizoguchi a few year ago in which he wrote these extraordinary words: "I have seen 'Sansho' only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal."

My only critique was that it was a little slow in some sections. That and the brutality towards women and children will hurt your heart.

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 pm

I have not only see Sansho twice but have also read the short story the movie is based on.

the Virgin Anthony Lane vs the Chad Oxnard
but it does hit you in the gut, not gonna lie. if I can endure stuff like that it's because I might just be numb to a lot. not in a badass action-movie-hero stoicism kinda way unfortunately. don't cry for me because I probably won't feel it.

one of these days I might share what movie really made me fucking cry. but only if I can find an organic segue.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm
Ebert quoted another film critic to describe his own experience:

"Anthony Lane, the film critic for The New Yorker, did a profile of Mizoguchi a few year ago in which he wrote these extraordinary words: "I have seen 'Sansho' only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal."

My only critique was that it was a little slow in some sections. That and the brutality towards women and children will hurt your heart.
Wow.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Also, in response to all our talk about The Winter Soldier and its place in things, I decided to watch 3 Days Of The Condor again. Wrote it up in my thread if anyone's interested.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Playtime (1967)

I liked, but did not love, this one.

I just didn't find it as funny as it seemed to find itself.

My favorite sequence was the once where you were looking into the different apartments from the outside (and specifically the way that the TV is the focus for all four of them). I also really liked the strong colored lighting in several scenes, like that sickly green used in the pharmacy setting. I also like some of the visual humor, like the women returning from the city with the flowers wilted in their hats, while the women just leaving the hotel all having perky fresh flowers in their hair.

But too many of the sequences just went on for way too long, like Barbara trying to take the picture of the flower woman. The slightly silent-film vibe is fun, but by the same token it keeps you at arm's length from the characters.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 pm

Jacques Tati's Hulot films and Chomet's animated interpretation of the character with the Illusioniste are close to perfection.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 pm
Jacques Tati's Hulot films and Chomet's animated interpretation of the character with the Illusioniste are close to perfection.
The visuals were great, but the film just felt too long.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:55 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 am
The visuals were great, but the film just felt too long.
Watch MORE OF THEM!!!

I think you'll like Mon Oncle the best. The mild lethargy of his films is part of their quaint charms.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 pm
There are not enough superlatives for the Hulot films. Some are obviously greater than others, but even lesser entries like Trafic are pretty wonderful.

Playtime really is one of the great singular achievements in film. It takes the tiny, insulated worlds of Tati's other films and give them a whole universe to cohabitate in. It many ways it has the ambition, scope and unique eccentrity of something as monumental as 2001. That said, it's probably a terrible entry point for what he does. For a director who seems as if he'd rather let his audience not see a little character detail or gag instead of forcibly leading them towards it, the expanse of Playtime can sometimes engulf the tiny nuances within it. So much might be happening in a part of the frame you're not even looking at. And if you do come across it as you scan back and forth, you might not recognize the signatures of one of his standard set ups and just look away before the magic happens. Holiday or Oncle are really the places to start. They are small enough films that one has a better chance to happily stumble upon some delightful little moment that is happening off to the side, or has been recurring through the film. He has such a particular pace of humor that is so quiet it becomes hard to see in the infinite depths of Playtimes two and a half hours. I thinks its important to first become pretty intimate with the grammar of how Tati works before diving right into the deep end.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:23 am

Ugh. I'm going to have to rewatch Playtime, aren't I?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:23 am
Ugh. I'm going to have to rewatch Playtime, aren't I?
If you haven't seen his earlier films, a rewatch would be dependent on if those work for you.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:38 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 am
There are not enough superlatives for the Hulot films. Some are obviously greater than others, but even lesser entries like Trafic are pretty wonderful.

Playtime really is one of the great singular achievements in film. It takes the tiny, insulated worlds of Tati's other films and give them a whole universe to cohabitate in. It many ways it has the ambition, scope and unique eccentrity of something as monumental as 2001. That said, it's probably a terrible entry point for what he does. For a director who seems as if he'd rather let his audience not see a little character detail or gag instead of forcibly leading them towards it, the expanse of Playtime can sometimes engulf the tiny nuances within it. So much might be happening in a part of the frame you're not even looking at. And if you do come across it as you scan back and forth, you might not recognize the signatures of one of his standard set ups and just look away before the magic happens. Holiday or Oncle are really the places to start. They are small enough films that one has a better chance to happily stumble upon some delightful little moment that is happening off to the side, or has been recurring through the film. He has such a particular pace of humor that is so quiet it becomes hard to see in the infinite depths of Playtimes two and a half hours. I thinks its important to first become pretty intimate with the grammar of how Tati works before diving right into the deep end.
I know it's lazy to just say "this" but... "This."

Tati is the Ozu of physical comedy.

You dive into his contemporary, Pierre Etaix? He's not quite at the same level but both their criminally small filmographies really compliment each other and ease the pain of how few works each one made.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 am

Hulot’s Holiday is a contender for the worst film I’ve ever seen. It’s not a good entry point.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 am
Hulot’s Holiday is a contender for the worst film I’ve ever seen. It’s not a good entry point.
Watch more movies.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:09 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 am
Whether or not one likes what the film does overall, it is a pretty clean display of how Tati structures his 'gags'. So in regards to it being an introduction to his approach to humor, nah, it's good.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 pm
I just think it's the best of the Russo films because its middle section keeps the action fairly low-reality and impactful and the spy stuff breaks up the action fairly well.

I'd agree First Avenger is better.
I agree with this. Have no issues with First Avenger being considered better, but I really, really dug The Winter Soldier mostly for the reasons already mentioned by others. I wasn't crazy about the whole logistics of the "evil plot", but I don't think this things really matter much in the grander scheme.

Plus, I also think the three Cap films belong in the MCU top tier.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 pm
I agree with this. Have no issues with First Avenger being considered better, but I really, really dug The Winter Soldier mostly for the reasons already mentioned by others. I wasn't crazy about the whole logistics of the "evil plot", but I don't think this things really matter much in the grander scheme.

Plus, I also think the three Cap films belong in the MCU top tier.
Yes and yes.
To not understand your first (bolded) statement is to simply not understand Marvel (not just the MCU but Marvel in general) and if one doesn't, that's fine, but one is missing the point and possibly that's why one is not enjoying them as much as one could.
And, yeah, I'd put all 3 Cap films in the top 10 and I'd hear a case for all 3 being in the top 5. It's funny to me how much the MCU is built around Stark in so many peoples' minds when, to me, it's all about Cap.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I saw Easy Rider twice over the past couple days, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. As an immensely vivid historical artifact of the late 60's whose scattered, rule-breaking plot structure represents how meandering life usually is, it worked exceptionally. It clearly is what it wanted to be. I suppose my reaction to it though was that what it wanted to be left me wanting a lot more. It contains the shell of a great film. It just lacked the meat of one to get its hooks in me fully if that makes sense. I recognize it as an important film. I just wasn't feeling it. However, it still had a few memorable sequences which will undoubtedly stay with me for quite a bit such as the diner scene, the bad acid trip, and the ending. Also, Nicholson was great as I expected.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm
the diner scene, the bad acid trip, and the ending. Also, Nicholson was great as I expected.
Frankly, this is all I feel you really need to take away from it.

Oh, and the opening.

And the soundtrack (Byrds and Holy Modal Rounders are tops)

I like it a lot, but as a whole, it's never been a perfect film for me.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:08 pm
Frankly, this is all I feel you really need to take away from it.

Oh, and the opening.

And the soundtrack (Byrds and Holy Modal Rounders are tops)

I like it a lot, but as a whole, it's never been a perfect film for me.
Are any of Hopper's other films worth checking out or would you say this is his best film?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Are any of Hopper's other films worth checking out or would you say this is his best film?
As far as I'm concerned Out of the Blue is the best thing he directed.

I never have got my hands on The Last Movie though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm
I saw Easy Rider twice over the past couple days, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. As an immensely vivid historical artifact of the late 60's whose scattered, rule-breaking plot structure represents how meandering life usually is, it worked exceptionally. It clearly is what it wanted to be. I suppose my reaction to it though was that what it wanted to be left me wanting a lot more. It contains the shell of a great film. It just lacked the meat of one to get its hooks in me fully if that makes sense. I recognize it as an important film. I just wasn't feeling it. However, it still had a few memorable sequences which will undoubtedly stay with me for quite a bit such as the diner scene, the bad acid trip, and the ending. Also, Nicholson was great as I expected.
Oh man, you're killin' me.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm
As far as I'm concerned Out of the Blue is the best thing he directed.

I never have got my hands on The Last Movie though.
It's a mess, but one I suspect you might be partial to. A lot of it plays off Hopper's unease with his status as a newly important Hollywood director, and the best sections blur the lines between the story and the production itself, but a lot of it meanders.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm
Watch more movies.
I try not to watch horrible movies, and I'm usually pretty good at it, so this hopefully won't help.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 pm
It's a mess, but one I suspect you might be partial to. A lot of it plays off Hopper's unease with his status as a newly important Hollywood director, and the best sections blur the lines between the story and the production itself, but a lot of it meanders.
Ooooh, meandering. Sign me up.

You find this online or at BSV?
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:57 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm
You find this online or at BSV?
BSV. There was a restoration and blu-ray release a few years ago.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm
Oh man, you're killin' me.
For what it's worth, I'd still call it an essential film and recommend it in the future.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:06 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm
I try not to watch horrible movies, and I'm usually pretty good at it, so this hopefully won't help.
Watch more horrible movies for context.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Per Hopper films: His late 80s thrillers - Colors, Backtrack and The Hot Spot - are all of interest even if they don't really rise to the level of a "significant" film. I condone all three.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:23 pm
Per Hopper films: His late 80s thrillers - Colors, Backtrack and The Hot Spot - are all of interest even if they don't really rise to the level of a "significant" film. I condone all three.
I've only seen Colors, but I agree. It's a solid/good film.

I think I saw "parts" of Chasers but I don't know if that counts :shifty:
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:26 pm
I think I saw "parts" of Chasers but I don't know if that counts :shifty:
I'm not counting it.

Hot Spot is a sweaty Southern neo-noir that's a lot of nasty fun. Little perks include a soundtrack with Miles Davis & John Lee Hooker and a nubile Jennifer Connelly. Let's face it, probably Don Johnson's most appropriate role.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones - 9/10

It will be a wild ride following the reviews for this one. It's even better than Hannah Gadsby.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:03 pm
Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones - 9/10

It will be a wild ride following the reviews for this one. It's even better than Hannah Gadsby.
It was great but I feel my experience was dampened in that it was a lot of material I saw him do when he toured with Jon Stewart. It killed me the first time but I had this bias where I kept feeling like he delivered it better when I saw him. Probably just the effect of seeing it live but it did make this feel less than that show and his recent Netflix specials.

The material is still aces though and lesser Chappelle is still better than virtually all other comics.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:16 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 pm
It was great but I feel my experience was dampened in that it was a lot of material I saw him do when he toured with Jon Stewart.
But for homeebodies like myself, that's exactly what I wanted. In fact, it would have been preferable to release a special with both of their recent sets.

Also, I hear, they recently filmed a special in Seattle with Chappelle and Joe Rogan, but I'm not sure if that will be released either, but I just don't have the frequent flyer miles to keep up with all of these shenanigans.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:16 pm
But for homeebodies like myself, that's exactly what I wanted. In fact, it would have been preferable to release a special with both of their recent sets.

Also, I hear, they recently filmed a special in Seattle with Chappelle and Joe Rogan, but I'm not sure if that will be released either, but I just don't have the frequent flyer miles to keep up with all of these shenanigans.
Stewart's said was really good too and I hope it gets released. I was glad he went on first (Pete Davidson and another comic were the actual openers) because while Jon was great, Chappelle was destructive. Made my ribs hurt laughter and I'm mostly dead inside.

I guess it's the "watch a concert on DVD" effect. While you can appreciate the artistry and spectacle, you can't recreate the atmosphere of actually being there.

I am glad that the material still comes over to people who weren't there. I was worried it wasn't just a personal response and that he'd misstepped and delivered something not QUITE as well executed.

You brought up Hannah Gadsby and I felt like Chappelle's set was an excellent counterpoint on social movements and comedy.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:43 pm
You brought up Hannah Gadsby and I felt like Chappelle's set was an excellent counterpoint on social movements and comedy.
Well, look. I have no problem with Gadsby putting her voice in the mix. But, as a fan of stand-up comedy generally, and for reasons unrelated to cruelty on my part, I have a fundamental disagreement with her assessment of the purpose of the artform.

Maybe since she hasn't actually quit, she's also having second thoughts on that assessment.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 pm
Well, look. I have no problem with Gadsby putting her voice in the mix. But, as a fan of stand-up comedy generally, and for reasons unrelated to cruelty on my part, I have a fundamental disagreement with her assessment of the purpose of the artform.

Maybe since she hasn't actually quit, she's also having second thoughts on that assessment.
I'm not seeking to silence her by any means and I felt a great deal of empathy for everything she clearly went through, but like most angry rants, the emotions felt like they lead to blunt and disagreeable conclusions on virtually every subject she chose to target, whether it be art, men, comedy, etc.

It reached a degree where it began to feel less like a comedy routine (even compared with more philosophical, one-man-show styled sets like Neil Brennan's recent special) and more like a TED talk.

I know this is putting "comedy special" in a box but I don't recall laughing at all.

That said, I'm a cis-gendered, heterosexual white man so I definitely wasn't the target audience and the level of catharsis I saw displayed by a great many women online and personally shows me it has value on that front.

I just felt like Chappelle was that degree of cathartic for me in his fearless expression of a great many social ideas balanced with hilarity. It's definitely going to ruffle a great many Twitter feathers. I already saw an article titled "Chappelle slams MJ accusers 'I don't trust the motherfuckers.'"