Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Slentert » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Macrology wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:54 pm
I haven't seen Let the Corpses Tan yet, but I know Cattet and Forzani are Belgian. Although the film itself could very well be a co-production.

In other news, I might try to watch Shoah over the course of the next two nights. I've had a copy for a while now and it's been waiting for the right time. Since I don't have any obligations these nights, I may finally try to knock it out.
They're not Belgian, they're both from France. They met each other in Brussels, and they live there now, but they're French.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Macrology wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:54 pm
I haven't seen Let the Corpses Tan yet, but I know Cattet and Forzani are Belgian. Although the film itself could very well be a co-production.
No, sorry. Wooley asked about the language. The language is French, but the film is Belgian. (Well, IMDb says both, but the opening credits seemed to lean heavily toward it being Belgian in origin).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm
No, sorry. Wooley asked about the language. The language is French, but the film is Belgian. (Well, IMDb says both, but the opening credits seemed to lean heavily toward it being Belgian in origin).
Oh good, I speak French!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Oh good, I speak French!
Ha--in your earlier post you wrote "which is a foreign language" and I misread it as "which foreign language" which is why I answered like it was a question.

Also, I just finished it and . . . hmm. Not sure I'd be inclined to watch it again, and it did run out of steam a little in the last 20 minutes, but for the most part it made its structure work.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Five minutes in, and Velocipastor is EXACTLY what I needed.

*woman is shot with an arrow which protrudes bloodily from her chest, and stumbles to the ground in front of the main character*
Main character: Oh, no! Are you hurt?

I usually have little patience for films that are trying to be so-bad-it's-good, but this one so far is really funny.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 pm
Ha--in your earlier post you wrote "which is a foreign language" and I misread it as "which foreign language" which is why I answered like it was a question.

Also, I just finished it and . . . hmm. Not sure I'd be inclined to watch it again, and it did run out of steam a little in the last 20 minutes, but for the most part it made its structure work.
No, you read it right, I wrote it wrong.

I expect it'll be a Sunday afternoon diversion one of these days.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Oh good, I speak French!
Natively or other? Where are you from?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 am

Charles wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 am
He speaks that NOLA French, n'est pas?
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks for the correction. I only knew that they'd made their previous films in Belgium.

Also I will not be watching Shoah tonight. But someday!
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 am

The Night Eats the World - 7.5/10 - Even though this is one in a long line of zombie-pocalypse flicks it differentiates itself by taking more of a survivalist tack. The protagonist is Sam, who as the story begins, goes to his ex-girlfriends Paris apartment to reclaim a box of his belongings only to find a jam-packed party going on. This is an interesting setup because it hints at what kind of guy Sam is and clarifies his actions throughout the movie. His ex directs him to a back room where he eventually passes out after having too much to drink. So the guy basically sleeps through the screaming and sounds of panic only to wake up the next morning to a trashed, blood soaked and deserted apartment. The remainder of the movie mostly involves him methodically undertaking to barricade the building while scavenging the surrounding flats. It might be considered slow moving but it's also a refreshing change from the usual dumb people doing stupid things. I enjoyed this and I think it belongs in the upper tier of zombie outbreak movies. The only thing I wasn't completely clear on was the final shot.
Sam gazes across countless Parisian rooftops after hearing church bells ringing. I'm not sure if all that real estate was meant to seem daunting or to symbolize all the options he'd opened up after his headlong leap to the neighboring rooftop.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Charles wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 am
No, I'm in New Orleans so I started taking French, well, actually for the first time in First Grade, but then again in 7th and 8th, and then all through high-school, eventually becoming the editor of the French Newspaper my school made (which meant I also had to write most of the articles). I then minored in French in college. Been to France like 5 times and got along very well until this last trip when it had been about a decade since I had spoken a word of it, but it comes back to me fairly quickly. Have to get back on my conjugations and brush up some vocabulary though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 am
He speaks that NOLA French, n'est pas?
Mais, bien sur, cher.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm
No, I'm in New Orleans so I started taking French, well, actually for the first time in First Grade, but then again in 7th and 8th, and then all through high-school, eventually becoming the editor of the French Newspaper my school made (which meant I also had to write most of the articles). I then minored in French in college. Been to France like 5 times and got along very well until this last trip when it had been about a decade since I had spoken a word of it, but it comes back to me fairly quickly. Have to get back on my conjugations and brush up some vocabulary though.
I've been learning French since I was 10 and I'm still terrible at it. And I live in a country were half of the population speaks French!
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:42 pm

alisamall wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm
https://vpozz.com
Do I click or not? OMG, decisions, decisions!
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm very pozzitive that you should not.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019)
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:47 pm
I'm very pozzitive that you should not.
I'm jizz not sure.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:41 am

The Mad - 4/10 - My zombie splurge continues with this 2007 Canadian production starring Billy Zane (and no one else I recognized). He plays a doctor vacationing with his new girlfriend, his daughter and his daughter's boyfriend. They stop in some anonymous NY hamlet and eat at a restaurant where a creepy old farmer has just dropped off a shipment of supposedly organic ground beef. The mad in the title is supposed to connote mad cow disease and it isn't long before people start foaming at the mouth and biting others. It goes for a light comedic tone and Zane does seem to have a knack for it but it's all so slapdash and half formed that it's hard to maintain much in the way of interest. Points for a game Zane and the humor but anything else you take notice of for being passably good, like the SFX and makeup, is so hit-or-miss that it makes you wish they had taken the time to polish it up a bit.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 am

Slentert wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:24 pm
I've been learning French since I was 10 and I'm still terrible at it. And I live in a country were half of the population speaks French!
Well, doing the college minor really helped as I was taking upper level courses entirely in the language, what they call "immersion".
French History, French Literature, shit like that. Read Sartre and shit like that. An entire semester just on phonetics. It was pretty cool. I've lost a lot of it, but a great deal is also just permanently burned into my brain.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 pm

In honor of all of the Stefon sketches from SNL being uploaded to YouTube, I'm reviewing Dead or Alive 2 Stefon-style.

Japan's craziest Yakuza movie is Dead or Alive 2. Director Takashi Miike has built a sometimes wistful, sometimes ultra-violent Japan that answers the question, "where are you going?" This movie has everything: a comet, flocks of black and white birds, a pantomime lion with a penis made out of a flashlight, a digital readout of what happens with six bullets go through a little person's head, and look over there in the corner: is that a magician pulling flags out of his neck and describing the war between the Yakuza and the Triads with packs of cigarettes?

I really liked it, if you couldn't tell.
Last Great Movie Seen
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 pm

That was the only one I liked from the trilogy. The first one had a crazy beginning and ending, but everything in between felt interminable, while the third was outright terrible. I understand Miike has a very prolific and eclectic body of work, but starting with the Dead or Alive trilogy unfortunately killed most of my interest in exploring further.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:24 pm
Could you just move to France if you wanted or is that not part of Schengen?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm

I like Dead or Alive more than you did even though I agree that nothing in the middle matches its terrific beginning and ending.

There's something about Miike's style of combining a very formal, deliberate pace with random fits of Looney Tunes silliness that I find very, albeit oddly, appealing. That, and his visual eye leads to some really distinctive, memorable and sometimes beautiful shots like the ones at the orphanage and on the ferry.
13 Assassins might renew your interest in him, as would Ace Attorney if you're able to track it down. You probably would not like Ichi The Killer.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 pm
That was the only one I liked from the trilogy. The first one had a crazy beginning and ending, but everything in between felt interminable, while the third was outright terrible. I understand Miike has a very prolific and eclectic body of work, but starting with the Dead or Alive trilogy unfortunately killed most of my interest in exploring further.
13 Assassins and Blade of the Immortal would likely be far more your bag.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 pm
I'm not the biggest Miike fan, but he has some films that are just awesome. Off the top of my head Blade of the Immortal (like MKS mentioned) and his entry in the Three . . . Extremes film are two things I quite enjoy. I know that I liked 13 Assassins, but it's just been too long for me to be specific about why and how it compares to his other work.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Charles wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 pm
Could you just move to France if you wanted or is that not part of Schengen?
I live in Belgium, so moving to France wouldn't be a problem, many people have done it, but I wouldn't want to (France is hella expensive!)
The thing about Belgium is, we have a population of around 11 million people, and of which a little more than half speaks French, we call them the Walloons, and the other half speaks Dutch (we call them Flemings) There is also a small percentage that speaks German, but we usually ignore them. Usually, the Flemings are well-versed in French, but the Walloons don't really speak Dutch very well. Where I live, which is near Brussels, it is officially Dutch region, but many people speak French, so I basically have no excuse to not be better at the language, but it always seems to slip away from me. It is just embarassing.

Sorry, that was really uninteresting, I know. I apologize.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 am

The Return of the Living Dead - 9/10 - I've been pigging out on zombie movies over the last few days and some of them being admittedly subpar I decided to cleanse my palate by re-watching this. I hadn't seen it in a few years and it was just as enjoyable as I remember it. So many great performances: Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Linea Quigley (I'll fess up and admit it's mostly her nude scenes). It's a fun movie to watch. And even though the 1988 sequel doesn't quite reach it's heights it's still better than a lot of other genre entries. I can't remember if I watched the third one or not.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:09 am

Slentert wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 pm
I live in Belgium, so moving to France wouldn't be a problem, many people have done it, but I wouldn't want to (France is hella expensive!)
The thing about Belgium is, we have a population of around 11 million people, and of which a little more than half speaks French, we call them the Walloons, and the other half speaks Dutch (we call them Flemings) There is also a small percentage that speaks German, but we usually ignore them. Usually, the Flemings are well-versed in French, but the Walloons don't really speak Dutch very well. Where I live, which is near Brussels, it is officially Dutch region, but many people speak French, so I basically have no excuse to not be better at the language, but it always seems to slip away from me. It is just embarassing.

It's actually pretty interesting, because I always assumed the non-French half of Belgium spoke german. Maybe it's the sideways flag, but I didn't think there were dutch people outside the Netherlands, much.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 am

Tales of Halloween - 6.5/10 - Meant to watch this at Halloween mostly because the advertising mentions it being the best anthology since Trick r' Treat which I loved. It's a mixed bag with 10 different stories stretched thin (at least I thought so) over a 90 minute run time. Some are passable I suppose (Ransom of Rusty Rex), some seem to end much too predictably not to mention abruptly (Grim Grinning Ghost) and one is bizarre and directed by Lucky McKee (Ding Dong). I took note of Friday the 31st which seems straight out of Ash vs. The Evil Dead.The rest are mostly forgettable. But there are numerous cameos including Adrienne Barbeau, John Landis, Joe Dante, Stuart Gordon and John Savage. Watch it to round out your Halloween playlist.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 am

Slentert wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Based on the Dutch people I know, you have no excuse for not speaking 7 languages.

I hate Dutch people. Show offs.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:14 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 am
I hate Dutch people.
The feeling's mutual
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Show off: make a deliberate or pretentious display of one's abilities or accomplishments

Read: Every LEAVES post ever
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm

The Dutch aren't all bad. They gave us stroopwafels and Paul Verhoeven.
Last Great Movie Seen
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:33 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:56 pm
Show off: make a deliberate or pretentious display of one's abilities or accomplishments

Read: Every LEAVES post ever
You're implying that I have any abilities to display, which seems awfully generous.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:33 pm
You're implying that I have any abilities to display, which seems awfully generous.
Writing is an ability. Seething hatred aside I think you are good at it
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:47 am

The Irishman is great. Same opinion. Correct thread.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:26 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:47 am
The Irishman is great. Same opinion. Correct thread.
Yeah, but what about the Bulgarianman?
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:02 pm

topherH wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:26 pm
Yeah, but what about the Bulgarianman?
Being bitten by a radioactive Bulgarian doesn't have the same sweet digital aging super powers as being bitten by a radioactive Irish.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:50 pm

Padak (2012)
An animated film from Korea, about some fish trapped in a seafood restaurant's tank. This gets real dark and is much more Watership Down than Finding Nemo. Recommended, but my advice is to not watch it with children unless you're prepared to discuss some unpleasant topics afterward.

It's available on Amazon Prime under the title Swimming to Sea.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:50 pm

True Stories was about what you'd expect from a slice of life, ensemble cast, Talking Heads musical directed by David Byrne. In other words, it's great, quirky and visually vibrant fun.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:33 am

Earth vs the Spider - 6/10 - First of all it's not Earth vs. The Spider, it's more like Nondescript Podunk Town vs. The Spider. The spider from Tarantula wanders off that set and sets up shop in a cave. They use shots of Carlsbad Caverns and overlay them or split screen them or whatever they did back then. It doesn't really matter though because whatever they were doing they did poorly. A high school couple run across the victims of the enormous spider and recruit their science teacher after being rebuffed by the ineffectual sheriff. He convinces the skeptical lawman and they call in some exterminators who kill it with DDT and drag it back to town and put it on display in the high school gym. But an overly enthusiastic student rock band wakes it up and the science teacher has to lure it away from town. There's entirely too much use made of dynamite and the ending is telegraphed within the first five minutes of the movie during a classroom lecture by the ubiquitous science teacher. Despite all that it's still an American-International production and directed by seminal 50's creature feature director Bert I. Gordon. So it is enjoyably cheesy and well worth watching if you're an aficionado of giant bug flicks.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:02 pm
Being bitten by a radioactive Bulgarian doesn't have the same sweet digital aging super powers as being bitten by a radioactive Irish.
It gives you superhuman levels of alcohol immunity plus the ability to boil the taste out of any food.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:20 am

Andrei Rublev

Horses and water.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 am

Macrology wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:20 am
Andrei Rublev

Horses and water.
I might as well use this opportunity to link my analysis on the film I posted to this site some months ago.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 pm

The Master is one of the most complex films I've seen in a while. It has a often meandering structure which can be (intentionally I assume) hard to follow as it often makes jarring cuts from one scene to the next which gives a fractured feel to the film and a final act which refuses to tie everything up in a conventional way. The cinematography/framing was good and Phoenix and Hoffman were incredible. I haven't thought about it too much since watching it, but I do feel like I should give it another viewing after I sit on it for a bit so I can fully decide on how I feel about it. Since I didn't read much on it before watching it, I didn't expect it to be as esoteric as it was.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm

I enjoyed Jojo Rabbit, but I'd rank it as the worst, not to mention least ambitious movie I've seen by Taika Waititi. Jojo, like Boy in the movie of the same name, is a young man who idealizes a father figure, in this case Adolf Hitler (Waititi), who appears as his imaginary friend. Jojo also experiences a similar loss of innocence when something happens that makes him completely reexamine his devotion to the Nazi party. There is nothing particularly bad about the movie: it is as funny as its trailers suggest, and as Waititi has proven in all of his other movies, he can pivot from a light-hearted and ridiculous tone to a dead serious one without a bit of awkwardness. Also, with the possible exception of the out-of-her-league Rebel Wilson, the cast is as good as you'd expect, especially Scarlet Johansson as Jojo's mother and Archie Yates as Jojo's real best friend Yorki. However, as my repeated mentions of Boy suggest, Waititi's done this before, and better, not to mention in territories that are much less well-tread as Nazi Germany. I did have a good time and I still recommend the movie, but expect something akin to a greatest hits album instead of one with new material.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Torgo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm
I enjoyed Jojo Rabbit, but I'd rank it as the worst, not to mention least ambitious movie I've seen by Taika Waititi. Jojo, like Boy in the movie of the same name, is a young man who idealizes a father figure, in this case Adolf Hitler (Waititi), who appears as his imaginary friend. Jojo also experiences a similar loss of innocence when something happens that makes him completely reexamine his devotion to the Nazi party. There is nothing particularly bad about the movie: it is as funny as its trailers suggest, and as Waititi has proven in all of his other movies, he can pivot from a light-hearted and ridiculous tone to a dead serious one without a bit of awkwardness. Also, with the possible exception of the out-of-her-league Rebel Wilson, the cast is as good as you'd expect, especially Scarlet Johansson as Jojo's mother and Archie Yates as Jojo's real best friend Yorki. However, as my repeated mentions of Boy suggest, Waititi's done this before, and better, not to mention in territories that are much less well-tread as Nazi Germany. I did have a good time and I still recommend the movie, but expect something akin to a greatest hits album instead of one with new material.
Hmm... I wasn't expecting this to be great, merely good, and I would have been surprised if it was the former, so I think I'll probably still be good with it and may actually haul my cookies to the theater this weekend and check it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:32 am

I'm on a bit of a 2010's movie binge right now. I'm watching some famous films from this decade in addition to rewatching a couple others to see how much my top films of the decade list changes by the end of this year.

Upstream Color (2013) - 9/10
It was beneficial to know the general rules of how the parasite and the people involved with it worked, but after I watched the movie again after acquiring a good understanding of those aspects, I strangely found myself less taken in by the science fiction angle and more intrigued by the characterizations of both Kris and Jeff, both of whom were effected by the parasite. What the film does is detail the trauma the events gave the two of them and how it interferes with their interactions with each other and the people around them. The Sampler and the ways he effects the people who fell victim to the parasite (which is detailed quite well in a lengthy, poetic middle section) is a metaphor for this trauma. After my first viewing, I was initially going to give this one a 8/10, but after feeling the emotional power of certain notable sequences again - the robbery, Kris and Jeff's first encounters, The Sampler causing the two to panic, Kris holding the baby pig at the end - I feel completely satisfied with calling this a great film. While I really liked the complexity of Primer, I had difficulty connecting to the story. This one, on the other hand, works phenomenally on both fronts.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:32 am
I'm on a bit of a 2010's movie binge right now. I'm watching some famous films from this decade in addition to rewatching a couple others to see how much my top films of the decade list changes by the end of this year.

Upstream Color (2013) - 9/10
It was beneficial to know the general rules of how the parasite and the people involved with it worked, but after I watched the movie again after acquiring a good understanding of those aspects, I strangely found myself less taken in by the science fiction angle and more intrigued by the characterizations of both Kris and Jeff, both of whom were effected by the parasite. What the film does is detail the trauma the events gave the two of them and how it interferes with their interactions with each other and the people around them. The Sampler and the ways he effects the people who fell victim to the parasite (which is detailed quite well in a lengthy, poetic middle section) is a metaphor for this trauma. After my first viewing, I was initially going to give this one a 8/10, but after feeling the emotional power of certain notable sequences again - the robbery, Kris and Jeff's first encounters, The Sampler causing the two to panic, Kris holding the baby pig at the end - I feel completely satisfied with calling this a great film. While I really liked the complexity of Primer, I had difficulty connecting to the story. This one, on the other hand, works phenomenally on both fronts.
I really enjoyed this film, and I agree with you; it is more about the trauma and the aftermath than it is about the sci-fi aspects or the parasite itself. I'm pretty sure Takoma has a couple of great posts about it in one of my threads.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 pm
I really enjoyed this film, and I agree with you; it is more about the trauma and the aftermath than it is about the sci-fi aspects or the parasite itself. I'm pretty sure Takoma has a couple of great posts about it in one of my threads.
Nice. I read the discussion in your 2018 thread. I think you both offered some great observations on the film. I imagine that another viewing will lead to me finding more emotional depth.
With the kidnapping sequence, I also found it interesting how the camera rarely focused on the kidnappers' face after he told her that his face is made out of the sun. When you go through a traumatic experience like this, you might want to get some comfort in knowing who your attacker was so you'll have something which will help convict him, but considering that I probably wouldn't have been able to recognize the kidnapper if it wasn't for the opening scenes, this choice makes that scene even more claustrophobic and unsettling to watch. It heightens the control he has over her. I also like how this sequence subtlety suggests sexual assault without showing much of anything. It's a great sign that a film doesn't always need to show explicit violence in order to get it's point across.

I also enjoyed the scenes of Kris and Jeff's first encounters with each other as it plays out much differently than a typical romance film would. Jeff acts like a jerk to her and both of them show little, if any, chemistry between each other. In most films, this would be a flaw and while one could certainly criticize it here, it's kind of the point. It's normal for trauma victims to behave like this towards other people. Coming off as rude or being disconnected with the people they encounter is a common side effect of this. I thought this was represented quite well in the film.

I also found the ending to be moving. Even though Kris gets over her trauma, she was already damaged by it as she won't be able to have a baby anymore due to the injuries she faced, she won't get her old job back, and her life won't ever be the same. Yet, despite this, seeing her hold the baby pig shows that she's satisfied with where she's at right now as she has something to hold on to with her new life at the farm and her relationship with Jeff. She got over the trauma, she took control of her life, and things are finally starting to look up.
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:31 pm

I should rewatch Upstream Color. I wasn't super cinematically literate when I watched it and I have strictly no clue what the hell it was about. And maybe Primer too.