The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Macrology

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Macrology » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 pm

I have it bookmarked on my Criterion Channel watch list. Maybe this weekend. . .
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 pm

topherH wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:57 pm
I should watch Upstream Color.
Macrology wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 pm
I have it bookmarked on my Criterion Channel watch list. Maybe this weekend. . .
It's definitely one of my favorite films. I think it's brilliant. It's one of those movies that when people don't love it, it hurts my heart a little.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:58 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 pm
Writing is an ability. Seething hatred aside I think you are good at it
Seems to me like if I was good at writing then it wouldn’t come off as pretentious, especially since this is an anonymous Internet forum and the idea that a person would want to bolster their anonymous reputation is such an absurd statement that... I don’t even know what to say. Something just doesn’t add up.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 pm
It's definitely one of my favorite films. I think it's brilliant. It's one of those movies that when people don't love it, it hurts my heart a little.
Initially, I wasn't quite sold on the quality of it, but I'm glad I watched it again as that really enriched my experience with the film.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:14 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:04 am
Initially, I wasn't quite sold on the quality of it, but I'm glad I watched it again as that really enriched my experience with the film.
I went through a period where I would watch the scene where
the piglets are being taken away/drowned and the pigs are freaking out and then the people are freaking out (but they don't know why) and I would just FEEL FEELINGS.
The way that the film captures the process of trying to understand mechanisms about yourself that you do not understand is really powerful for me. Like the scene where they are sliding the rock down inside the large pipe just to try to get the "right" sound. I don't know a lot about Shane Carruth, but this was a piece of art that made me feel deeply connected to another person in a way that few films have done.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:20 am

Ya know, Soylent Green really has some moments.

That said, I will never understand how Charlton Heston became a movie-star.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:20 am
Ya know, Soylent Green really has some moments.

That said, I will never understand how Charlton Heston became a movie-star.
After YEARS of pop culture references, when I finally watched it (last year, I think?) my reaction was . . . "Oh."

It does have some moments, but overall it didn't have the spark I'd hoped it would. The euthenasia scene was something else, however. That was my takeaway "imprint" from that film.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 am

topherH wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:57 pm
I should watch Upstream Color.
Me too.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:34 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:14 am
I went through a period where I would watch the scene where
the piglets are being taken away/drowned and the pigs are freaking out and then the people are freaking out (but they don't know why) and I would just FEEL FEELINGS.
The way that the film captures the process of trying to understand mechanisms about yourself that you do not understand is really powerful for me. Like the scene where they are sliding the rock down inside the large pipe just to try to get the "right" sound. I don't know a lot about Shane Carruth, but this was a piece of art that made me feel deeply connected to another person in a way that few films have done.
Yeah, it definitely has a lot of standout moments. I don't know what my favorite one is though. Probably one of the scenes I described in the previous page. I was expecting another Primer-esque labyrinth of having to decode everything going into it, but I was surprised at how moving it ended up being. Carruth needs to direct again.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:35 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 am
After YEARS of pop culture references, when I finally watched it (last year, I think?) my reaction was . . . "Oh."

It does have some moments, but overall it didn't have the spark I'd hoped it would. The euthenasia scene was something else, however. That was my takeaway "imprint" from that film.
Yes, that was the specific scene that made me post.
For me, despite growing up in the 70s and 80s, I managed to keep the spoiler of Soylent Green intact until I was in my mid-30s when I got hit outta nowhere with the reveal. Knowing that that would be much of the weight of the movie, I reset my sights much, much lower, to "is this a competent and worthwhile 70s sci-fi thriller?", to which the answer, ultimately is Yes+, because of the high notes it hits. The sexual politics (since that is something we do talk about a lot here) are particularly fascinating. Shirl, who has decided to trade in all of her agency for a life of safety and relative luxury must endure being called "a helluva piece of furniture" by the man she feels she's connected with and then is interviewed by the new "tenant" to make sure she's "fun" is just brutally (unintentionally) sinister and cutting. And the class politics are interesting even if they are handled deftly at some times and clumsily to amateurishly at others.
Overall, it's a film worth seeing even if we can never capitalize on what made it resound so much in its day.

To be honest, though, this is probably the best performance of Charlton Heston's dubious career. Touch Of Evil should have been Ricardo Montalban.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:07 am

Thief wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 pm
I really enjoyed this film, and I agree with you; it is more about the trauma and the aftermath than it is about the sci-fi aspects or the parasite itself. I'm pretty sure Takoma has a couple of great posts about it in one of my threads.
There was another poster on RT (Rouge?) who was a big fan of this one and we had a very long discussion about it at one point. I love discussing it, but my real feelings about it are hard to put into words, and are better expressed with emotive hand gestures, a quickened heartbeat, and the feeling in your stomach when an elevator drops suddenly. I am (SHOCKING REVELATION AHEAD!) a very emotion-driven person, and I resonated with this film on a deep emotional level. Yes, I want everyone to love it, and yes, I get sad when someone is like "6/10 it was okay", but this is the kind of movie that makes me glad that movies exist.
Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm
Nice. I read the discussion in your 2018 thread. I think you both offered some great observations on the film. I imagine that another viewing will lead to me finding more emotional depth.
With the kidnapping sequence, I also found it interesting how the camera rarely focused on the kidnappers' face after he told her that his face is made out of the sun. When you go through a traumatic experience like this, you might want to get some comfort in knowing who your attacker was so you'll have something which will help convict him, but considering that I probably wouldn't have been able to recognize the kidnapper if it wasn't for the opening scenes, this choice makes that scene even more claustrophobic and unsettling to watch. It heightens the control he has over her. I also like how this sequence subtlety suggests sexual assault without showing much of anything. It's a great sign that a film doesn't always need to show explicit violence in order to get it's point across.

I also enjoyed the scenes of Kris and Jeff's first encounters with each other as it plays out much differently than a typical romance film would. Jeff acts like a jerk to her and both of them show little, if any, chemistry between each other. In most films, this would be a flaw and while one could certainly criticize it here, it's kind of the point. It's normal for trauma victims to behave like this towards other people. Coming off as rude or being disconnected with the people they encounter is a common side effect of this. I thought this was represented quite well in the film.

I also found the ending to be moving. Even though Kris gets over her trauma, she was already damaged by it as she won't be able to have a baby anymore due to the injuries she faced, she won't get her old job back, and her life won't ever be the same. Yet, despite this, seeing her hold the baby pig shows that she's satisfied with where she's at right now as she has something to hold on to with her new life at the farm and her relationship with Jeff. She got over the trauma, she took control of her life, and things are finally starting to look up.
Like you say, the film is a really excellent walk through a trauma and the recovery from that trauma.

The reason that I think the sci-fi elements are so critical is that they make the trauma something that is, even to the audience who "sees" everything, abstract to a certain degree and unknowable. Are there aspects of it that are like sexual assault? Yes. Are there aspects of it that are like a mental health crisis/breakdown? Yes. Are there aspects of it that could even be likened to a bad experience with using a drug? Yes. But none of those things are *exactly* what the main characters go through. As a society we have a framework for understanding how someone might react to rape or to kidnapping or to physical abuse or to drug addiction. But there's no "script" for what happens to the two people in this film.

I think that one of the most disorienting things about trauma is just how confusing it all is. You can do things and not understand why. You can feel things suddenly and not know what triggered the emotions. There is always some degree of trauma (even a commonly shared trauma like loss of a child or a physical attack or an abusive parent) that just can't be put into words and that can't be made "visible" to anyone outside of your own brain (or sometimes even to yourself). I think that the film captures the confusion and isolation so well that it's almost frightening. And by making the trauma something that is unlike any "real" trauma, we the audience don't have a script to impose on the characters and so we are just as unmoored as they are. Unlike some "real world" trauma, I would have no advice for these characters. I have no idea of what they should have done to help themselves. And I think that put me on an equal footing with them that I wouldn't have if their problems were something better understood by the audience.

But, like you point out, what it also captures is the degree to which even if you don't understand everything about how you were impacted, or even if you can't be made "whole" again afterward, it doesn't mean that you can't move forward. There is one kind of satisfaction to be had in justice and explanations and clarity, but there is another kind of satisfaction to be found in accepting who you are now, making a place for that person in the world, and living the best way that you can. Where sci-fi films can sometimes get bogged down in "the rules", it was refreshing to encounter a sci-fi film that was willing to lean into the emotional side of things so heavily.

Yes, I cannot wait for Carruth's next film.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:27 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:07 am
Like you say, the film is a really excellent walk through a trauma and the recovery from that trauma.

The reason that I think the sci-fi elements are so critical is that they make the trauma something that is, even to the audience who "sees" everything, abstract to a certain degree and unknowable. Are there aspects of it that are like sexual assault? Yes. Are there aspects of it that are like a mental health crisis/breakdown? Yes. Are there aspects of it that could even be likened to a bad experience with using a drug? Yes. But none of those things are *exactly* what the main characters go through. As a society we have a framework for understanding how someone might react to rape or to kidnapping or to physical abuse or to drug addiction. But there's no "script" for what happens to the two people in this film.

I think that one of the most disorienting things about trauma is just how confusing it all is. You can do things and not understand why. You can feel things suddenly and not know what triggered the emotions. There is always some degree of trauma (even a commonly shared trauma like loss of a child or a physical attack or an abusive parent) that just can't be put into words and that can't be made "visible" to anyone outside of your own brain (or sometimes even to yourself). I think that the film captures the confusion and isolation so well that it's almost frightening. And by making the trauma something that is unlike any "real" trauma, we the audience don't have a script to impose on the characters and so we are just as unmoored as they are. Unlike some "real world" trauma, I would have no advice for these characters. I have no idea of what they should have done to help themselves. And I think that put me on an equal footing with them that I wouldn't have if their problems were something better understood by the audience.

But, like you point out, what it also captures is the degree to which even if you don't understand everything about how you were impacted, or even if you can't be made "whole" again afterward, it doesn't mean that you can't move forward. There is one kind of satisfaction to be had in justice and explanations and clarity, but there is another kind of satisfaction to be found in accepting who you are now, making a place for that person in the world, and living the best way that you can. Where sci-fi films can sometimes get bogged down in "the rules", it was refreshing to encounter a sci-fi film that was willing to lean into the emotional side of things so heavily.

Yes, I cannot wait for Carruth's next film.
I agree with you on the importance of the sci-fi angle. And to expand upon that, I think the sci-fi angle also works to show how the victims of the larva will have to be on their own and that they won't be able to rely on anyone else for help. Kris knows that somebody did something to her, but she can't remember exactly what happened. I think she also suspects the signs that something supernatural happened to her given how so much time went by without her noticing, how her bank savings strangely disappeared, the worms she saw in her body, or how she woke up in an abandoned vehicle. If you were to tell that to a doctor or your boss who's about to fire you, do you think they'd believe you? Nope, and I probably wouldn't as well. I think most wouldn't. If the film wasn't science fiction and had been based in realism, it would still be really good, but without this extra layer of claustrophobia and alienation, which fits perfectly for the film and the state of the characters in it. I suppose the best way to word my reaction to the sci-fi stuff is that I cared more about the effects it had on the characters who fall victim to it as opposed to the rules of how the larva harvesting works (which is still fine and all; I don't mean to criticize it).
Also, I honestly don't know what a better ending to this film could've been. It doesn't feel too safe nor does it feel too tragic. It finds just the right sweet spot in the middle, feeling completely real. When you overcome trauma, this doesn't mean that you won't have any scars from it. It could be a physical injury or certain aspects of your old life which you won't ever get back. Detailing this, but still showing them move on from the experience is a really beautiful concept in my opinion. If the film had ended with Kris obtaining her fertility again and getting her old job back, this wouldn't have been as memorable in my opinion.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:29 am

LEAVES wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:58 am
Seems to me like if I was good at writing then it wouldn’t come off as pretentious
no no no
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:38 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:27 am
I agree with you on the importance of the sci-fi angle. And to expand upon that, I think the sci-fi angle also works to show how the victims of the larva will have to be on their own and that they won't be able to rely on anyone else for help. Kris knows that somebody did something to her, but she can't remember exactly what happened. I think she also suspects the signs that something supernatural happened to her given how so much time went by without her noticing, how her bank savings strangely disappeared, the worms she saw in her body, or how she woke up in an abandoned vehicle. If you were to tell that to a doctor or your boss who's about to fire you, do you think they'd believe you? Nope, and I probably wouldn't as well. I think most wouldn't. If the film wasn't science fiction and had been based in realism, it would still be really good, but without this extra layer of claustrophobia and alienation, which fits perfectly for the film and the state of the characters in it. I suppose the best way to word my reaction to the sci-fi stuff is that I cared more about the effects it had on the characters who fall victim to it as opposed to the rules of how the larva harvesting works (which is still fine and all; I don't mean to criticize it).
Also, I honestly don't know what a better ending to this film could've been. It doesn't feel too safe nor does it feel too tragic. It finds just the right sweet spot in the middle, feeling completely real. When you overcome trauma, this doesn't mean that you won't have any scars from it. It could be a physical injury or certain aspects of your old life which you won't ever get back. Detailing this, but still showing them move on from the experience is a really beautiful concept in my opinion. If the film had ended with Kris obtaining her fertility again and getting her old job back, this wouldn't have been as memorable in my opinion.
Completely agreed. The sci-fi element primarily functions as a way to heighten their isolation and the inability to find support or understanding in the people around them.

The fact that they are treated as being crazy only adds insult to injury. One part of the film that's seared into my brain is the tone in which the doctor remarks
"Well, someone's been in there" when they talk about her wrecked reproductive system. She's clearly in distress, but she's treated by the doctors like a frustrating problem instead of a person.
And I also agree with you that the ending is perfect.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 am

Eh, I wasn't big on Soylent Green when I finally saw it this year. Outside of the euthanasia scene and Edward G. Robinson's performance, it felt like a lot of it was just scenes of Charlton Heston reacting comically to all the ways the future sucks.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:51 am

I might revisit Soylent Green sometime in the future as I remember very little about it. The euthanasia scene IS great and I've watched the moment on youtube a few times, but given the relatively mixed reactions I've read on the film from y'all in the past, I haven't felt motivated to give it another viewing for a while.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:29 am
no no no
So all good writers come off as pretentious to you?
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:42 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 am
So all good writers come off as pretentious to you?
You are a moron
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Okay, I'll break it down in baby terms - Pretentious =/= bad or good
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Overall you are taking "good writer" too far as a compliment. It's pretty cheap, I wouldn't call a single person here a "bad writer". When I say "good" I'm referring to the objective basics of writing where when I say "pretentious" I'm speaking of subjective qualities of writing such as the content of the writing and it's application.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:51 am
I might revisit Soylent Green sometime in the future as I remember very little about it. The euthanasia scene IS great and I've watched the moment on youtube a few times, but given the relatively mixed reactions I've read on the film from y'all in the past, I haven't felt motivated to give it another viewing for a while.
It didn't take long with the film for me to keep checking the running time and thinking "C'mon, just say the line!".
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:53 pm

there were two classes in my high school where we watched this probably because public schools need some "movie days" to give the teachers a break and 'cause it has some slight parallels to what ever the class was (I think one of them was bio, the other social studies?)

the scene with Heston and Robinson eating some non-soylent food might have been good but it's been a long time and I don't plan on watching it again, nyah
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 pm

White Hunter Black Heart

I'm still processing this one. I was put off by a few things, like the stilted exposition and a few instances of some very Hollywood scripting (an in-joke there, for those who have seen the movie). I also wasn't sure what to make of Eastwood's performance initially. But as the film goes on it becomes more and more assured, I warmed up to the central performance, and the end result is an incredibly nuanced deconstruction of masculinity. Jonathon Rosenbaum makes a very compelling defense of Eastwood's performance, describing it as an intuitively Brechtian dialectic between the John Huston mythos and Eastwood's own star persona, which, for all the intellectual filigree in that phrase, is an uncannily accurate description. The performance can feel a bit "off" sometimes - probably why I needed time to acclimate to it - but that's partly because it's balancing in this delicate and fascinating place.

Paired with The Irishman, which I caught on the big screen the night before, this made for a nice "Macho Genre Turned Existential Meditation" theme.
Ma`crol´o`gy
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Soylent Green > Upstream Color.

Fight me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Fight me.
I'm slashing your tires as we speak.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 pm
I'm slashing your tires as we speak.
I said FIGHT not vandalize! Way. Un. Cool.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:58 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 pm
I said FIGHT not vandalize! Way. Un. Cool.
Your filthy Soylent Green sentiments do not deserve proper fisticuffs.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Your filthy Soylent Green sentiments do not deserve proper fisticuffs.
Upstream Color? My guess is yellow and someone is feeling relief.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:18 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 am
Upstream Color? My guess is yellow and someone is feeling relief.
Reported.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26 am

Really liked Brittany Runs a Marathon (which just became free on Prime). I think that it does a pretty great job in terms of the "person goes on a mission to better their life" genre, addressing multiple aspects of what it means to radically change your lifestyle (job, friends, sex life, health, etc) and yet never feeling like it's just ticking boxes.

It's a feel-good film centered on a strong and funny performance by Jillian Bell.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:32 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:18 am
Reported.
*Slowly licks a spoon dipped in jam*
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:32 am
*Slowly licks a spoon dipped in jam*

The film, like the jar, is a lot emptier than anyone would like.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 am

It's perhaps the best cinematic depiction of the banality of evil. Richard Fleischer directs with efficiency and brutality that separates it from it's contemporaries. The assassination attempt at the protest is glorious.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 am
It's perhaps the best cinematic depiction of the banality of evil. Richard Fleischer directs with efficiency and brutality that separates it from it's contemporaries. The assassination attempt at the protest is glorious.
A little too banal for my taste. It's a film I'd probably enjoy as a novel (I know it's based on a book, but it's not one with which I'm familiar), but there were significant swaths of the film that just dragged for me. I was onboard with its themes, and there were some standout moments, but most of the film is just a mush in my memory (and I know I watched it back in June).

In all seriousness, compared to the emotional heft of Upstream Color, it's not even close for me. There are sequences of Upstream Color that I think about frequently.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:03 am
A little too banal for my taste. It's a film I'd probably enjoy as a novel (I know it's based on a book, but it's not one with which I'm familiar), but there were significant swaths of the film that just dragged for me. I was onboard with its themes, and there were some standout moments, but most of the film is just a mush in my memory (and I know I watched it back in June).

In all seriousness, compared to the emotional heft of Upstream Color, it's not even close for me. There are sequences of Upstream Color that I think about frequently.
The beauty of Soylent Green is in the texture of it's film. It's a dystopia that becomes more and more plausible and the quirks of Heston's detective as he bounces through the various levels of society and the type of peculiar world building that makes me love sci-fi.

I plan to rewatch UC as I purchased it for a $1 but my memory of it was that it demanded a lot of emotional and intellectual cache without earning it by never fully committing to engaging in an exploration of it's narrative. Essentially, it's narrative was too complex for a mood piece and it's moods undercut by the opaque nature of the plot causing a disconnect. I love Primer but I'll take the direct horror of innocent bystanders getting atypical blood splatters of that era or Edward G. Robinson giving a most fitting and soulful final performance over vague ambition.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:16 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:03 pm
Overall you are taking "good writer" too far as a compliment. It's pretty cheap, I wouldn't call a single person here a "bad writer". When I say "good" I'm referring to the objective basics of writing where when I say "pretentious" I'm speaking of subjective qualities of writing such as the content of the writing and it's application.
lol OK now I know why your statements are incoherent - you don’t understand fundamental concepts of reality.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:38 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:16 am
lol OK now I know why your statements are incoherent - you don’t understand fundamental concepts of reality.
Not
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Worth
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:47 pm

My
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Time
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 am

I prefer to see it as "half full".
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:13 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 am
The beauty of Soylent Green is in the texture of it's film. It's a dystopia that becomes more and more plausible and the quirks of Heston's detective as he bounces through the various levels of society and the type of peculiar world building that makes me love sci-fi.
The world building is fine, but I didn't really care that much for Heston's lead character. I know what you mean about it being a plausible dystopia and I agree that is a strength of the film. It just didn't click with me on a story level.
I plan to rewatch UC as I purchased it for a $1 but my memory of it was that it demanded a lot of emotional and intellectual cache without earning it by never fully committing to engaging in an exploration of it's narrative. Essentially, it's narrative was too complex for a mood piece and it's moods undercut by the opaque nature of the plot causing a disconnect.
I think that the film is just the right amount of vague in the sense that it keeps what happened to the main character a mystery to herself and to us. It really hammers home the isolation of what she has been through. If we knew the details, it would be tempting to try and think of a "solution" to what she's dealing with.

I think that it's much more than a mood piece, mainly due to the very real fear and pain that are conveyed by the lead performance.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm
I prefer to see it as "half full".
Soylent Green, the optimist's cut.
"Soylent Green is people!"

"What a great, renewable source of protein! And I hear it really helps with the overcrowding."
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Mark of the Vampire - 7.5/10 - This is an hour long film by Tod Browning, the director of Freaks and the original Dracula. It's actually pretty decent with solid cinematography. It's also noteworthy for one of the more effective onscreen portrayals of a vampiric character by Carroll Borland as Luna Mora. She's the daughter of Count Mora played by Bela Lugosi. His is a largely dialogue free performance which also somewhat sets this apart. A nobleman, Sir Karell Borotyn, is found murdered with most of his blood missing. The local villagers, along with the dead man's friend Baron Otto (Jean Hersholt) and an eccentric professor played by Lionel Barrymore, are convinced that he was the victim of vampirism with the legend of Count Mora and his daughter being the most likely explanation. It's a compelling enough account but then they
throw a major curve ball in the denouement when it's all revealed to be a ploy to trap Baron Otto into confessing to the murder of his friend. Moreover, the "vampire" father and daughter are revealed to be actors, with Lugosi finally uttering his only lines. They're actually kind of funny and clever given the context. It ultimately falls to the viewer to decide if this detracts from or ultimately makes the movie.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 am
Tales of Halloween - 6.5/10 - Meant to watch this at Halloween mostly because the advertising mentions it being the best anthology since Trick r' Treat which I loved. It's a mixed bag with 10 different stories stretched thin (at least I thought so) over a 90 minute run time. Some are passable I suppose (Ransom of Rusty Rex), some seem to end much too predictably not to mention abruptly (Grim Grinning Ghost) and one is bizarre and directed by Lucky McKee (Ding Dong). I took note of Friday the 31st which seems straight out of Ash vs. The Evil Dead.The rest are mostly forgettable. But there are numerous cameos including Adrienne Barbeau, John Landis, Joe Dante, Stuart Gordon and John Savage. Watch it to round out your Halloween playlist.
I feel like Trick R Treat set a really high bar, and I've been pretty let down by most anthology stuff I've seen since then.

For Tales of Halloween I really liked the one where the creepy kids show up for the trick or treating. I thought that it took a really tired premise (evil kids) and put an interesting twist on it. The reveal that the
generally benevolent/harmless seeming couples were torturing children took me completely by surprise.

I was a fan of the manic strangeness of Ding Dong. I liked the humor of the Ransom of Rusty Rex.

I'd probably rank this one below Southbound, another anthology that has a few moments but didn't work for me as a whole film.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Fight me.
Doing a pretty good job punching yourself in the face.

;)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:43 pm

Colossal was kind of an intense watch.

My original impression was that the film was going to deal with
depression and/or alcoholism
, and so I was not prepared for the
abusive relationship element. Though I have to say that Oscar's coercive, "nice guy" abuser made for a great and surprising villain.
Overall I really liked the film. My only real criticism was that in the final third of the film the balance between some pretty disturbing moments and the humor felt a little bit off. Like, once a certain moment had happened I wasn't really in the mood to laugh anymore. I was okay with the final beat of the film, but didn't know how I felt about other moments.

I think that is was an interesting choice that there was never a
healthy possible romantic partner for Gloria in the film. Tim is patronizing and delights in her being a mess. Oscar is an abusive creep. And Joel is the kind of guy who acts as an errand boy for his abusive friend, witnessing a violent interaction with little more than an apologetic shrug. In a way it was nice because it meant that Gloria had to handle her problems on her own.
I'll have to think on it a little more, but generally I quite liked it (especially the performances), and thought it did a nice job of balancing the literal and allegorical elements of the plot.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:46 am

1) Hmm, I'm in the mood for some good sci-fi.

2) I've heard good thing about High Life

3) Oh, huh. Claire Denis. Better check out the Parent's Guide

4) :(

5) *Reads Wikipedia plot summary*

6) :( :( :(

It's a movie I want to watch at some point, but maybe not after Colossal.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:56 am

The Tales of Beatrix Potter is an incredibly odd yet oddly charming film. It feels like it should inhabit some uncanny valley space but it actually comes off surprisingly well, largely thanks to the expressiveness of the dancers and the phenomenal costuming and set design. It's one of those rare films that exists entirely in its own realm. The fact that it even got made is kind of baffling.

It's on Criterion Channel till the end of November, if anyone is curious.
Ma`crol´o`gy