Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:50 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:14 am
You just have to wait until they release the trilogy box set:

1) Paris Belongs to Us
2) Is Paris Burning?
3) Paris is Burning

Together at last.
I think One Night In Paris should be part of this since there were complaints of a burning sensation afterwards.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:50 am
I think One Night In Paris should be part of this since there were complaints of a burning sensation afterwards.
It's a special feature.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:15 am
My only experience with Waters' work was the time I bailed on Desperate Living halfway through. I remember a lot of yelling and little else.
If yelling is a problem for you, skip all of his best movies.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:51 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 am
If yelling is a problem for you, skip all of his best movies.
Uncut Gems is nonstop yelling and I loved it, so maybe I'll give him a chance again someday.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:51 am
Uncut Gems is nonstop yelling and I loved it, so maybe I'll give him a chance again someday.
Female Trouble is the yelliest.
But with yelliness sometimes comes greatness.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:53 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am
Out of the Past - 9/10 - Everything I've read says that this is one of the first film noirs. I might be wrong but since it's directed by Jacques Tourneur with cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca I'm more than willing to believe it. Robert Mitchum stars and his first moments kind of threw me since his character of Jeff Bailey seems like just another small town nice guy. But it's a red herring. He's living under an alias which is revealed after a figure from his past shows up looking for him. His actual name is Jeff Markham and, as he explains to his current girlfriend in an extended flashback, years before he worked as a private eye hired by a shady businessman named Whit Sterling (Kirk Douglas). He wanted Jeff to track down his ex-mistress who ran off after stealing 40,000 dollars. The rest goes according to noir archetypes when he finally meets femme fatale Katherine Moffat (Jane Greer). There are plenty of double crosses and hidden motives and loads of atmosphere. Present day Whit wants Jeff's help getting out of a tax jam and without giving too much away, there are grudges to be settled and reckonings to be paid. This is a must see if you like hard boiled characters and beautiful but venomous women double dealing each other.
I'm a really big fan of that one.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 am

I'm sure when the dust settles and my insides unwrap, I'll be able to offer a more sober and even-handed consideration, but for now 1917 is maybe the most harrowing film I've seen in a theater. Please understand too that I can't make any sort of firm diagnosis for why this is the case. In the back of my head, I registered some moments that were probably just a little too cute (a late-breaking bit of casting, a small touch of setup/payoff that would require a spoiler), but my overwhelming feeling (and that's what the movie provoked, intensity of feeling) was that I so completely empathized with the lead character and found his mission so admirable and the violence surrounding him so senseless and, frankly, stupid, that it felt every bit like Mendes actually pulled off an anti-war war film. Which I think is an insanely hard thing to do, and hell, maybe the flick didn't actually do that if I go back and inspect more closely-- again, I am riding off the combination of adrenaline and panic that still has my throat tight and my guts wound. But right now, in this exact moment, I'm in awe, I'm shaken, and I'm so so happy that the film's central conflict is an effort to stop violence.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25516
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 am
I'm sure when the dust settles and my insides unwrap, I'll be able to offer a more sober and even-handed consideration, but for now 1917 is maybe the most harrowing film I've seen in a theater. Please understand too that I can't make any sort of firm diagnosis for why this is the case. In the back of my head, I registered some moments that were probably just a little too cute (a late-breaking bit of casting, a small touch of setup/payoff that would require a spoiler), but my overwhelming feeling (and that's what the movie provoked, intensity of feeling) was that I so completely empathized with the lead character and found his mission so admirable and the violence surrounding him so senseless and, frankly, stupid, that it felt every bit like Mendes actually pulled off an anti-war war film. Which I think is an insanely hard thing to do, and hell, maybe the flick didn't actually do that if I go back and inspect more closely-- again, I am riding off the combination of adrenaline and panic that still has my throat tight and my guts wound. But right now, in this exact moment, I'm in awe, I'm shaken, and I'm so so happy that the film's central conflict is an effort to stop violence.
Glad to hear it; I was really looking forward to seeing this back around Christmas, before I knew it was only opening in NYC & LA at the time, but hopefully, it'll expand out to my Middle American town this weekend, so I can see for myself if, between it and Dunkirk, if we're experiencing something of a new War movie renaissance.
User avatar
Slentert
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Slentert » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 am

1917 is opening up here this wednesday, so I might go see it during the week.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:57 pm

I'll see 1917 this weekend. My initial reaction was that it would be somewhat akin to Dunkirk, if not quite as good, but it might be better than what I initially expected.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm

My immediate impression is I liked it more than Dunkirk, but time will be the judge of that, and after Tarantino recently called Dunkirk one of his favorite movies of the 2010s, a rewatch is needed.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Crooked House - 6/10 - A 2017 murder mystery based on an Agatha Christie novel. The cast is first rate with Glenn Close, Julian Sands, Christina Hendricks and a virtually unrecognizable Gillian Anderson among others. Max Irons plays private investigator Charles Hayward who is chosen to look into the death of Greek millionaire Aristide Leonides. He was poisoned when his eyedrops were mistaken for his insulin and Scotland Yard wants the truth of what actually happened. Because of the war the entire Leonides clan is living under the same roof and they're the usual dysfunctional rich types. There's an added layer of intrigue with the favored granddaughter romantically involved with Hayward. The investigation unfolds in a somewhat languorous manner and even though the cast do right by their characters it doesn't ever completely jell into a robust thriller. I liked the ending though with the actual villain a pleasant surprise.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Seven Samurai - 9.5/10 - Don't settle for anything less than this 1954 classic. Clocking in at almost three and a half hours, it flies by. There's so much to recommend it, from Toshiro Mifune's manic and indelible performance as Kikuchiyo to the poetic but also hyper realistic battle scenes to Asakazu Nakai's innovational cinematography. Considered by many to be Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece this needs no setup or exposition to enhance the viewing experience. If you haven't seen it take the plunge. If you have, by all means, watch it again.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 pm
Seven Samurai - 9.5/10 - Don't settle for anything less than this 1954 classic. Clocking in at almost three and a half hours, it flies by. There's so much to recommend it, from Toshiro Mifune's manic and indelible performance as Kikuchiyo to the poetic but also hyper realistic battle scenes to Asakazu Nakai's innovational cinematography. Considered by many to be Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece this needs no setup or exposition to enhance the viewing experience. If you haven't seen it take the plunge. If you have, by all means, watch it again.
This is one of the most fun movies to have seen in the theater. And it was really fun because there were many people in the audience who had never seen it before.

It's a film that I know, intellectually, is over three hours long. But emotionally I feel like it flies by.
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 pm

I really enjoyed Blindspotting. It follows Collin (Daveed Diggs, who co-wrote the movie), a young black man and Oakland resident who is trying to get through his last three days of probation Scott-free. As luck would have it, he has to cope with his best friend and co-worker Miles (co-writer Rafael Casal) acquiring some new "protection," the trauma of witnessing a horrible crime as well as his depleting patience with his neighborhood's changing identity. The movie manages to juggle many of the societal ills of the late 2010's from the police abusing their authority to being on the wrong side of gentrification without ever coming across as overstuffed. It reminds me of other great city-specific movies about racial division that take place over a few days or less like Do The Right Thing and La Haine, and like those movies, it has as many moments of poignant devastation as it does of hilarity. While it's not quite as good as those movies, I'm too thankful that a movie of its kind exists in this era of constant reboots of remakes, not to mention one that's so good and feels so genuine, to care how it ranks.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am
Out of the Past - 9/10 - Everything I've read says that this is one of the first film noirs. I might be wrong but since it's directed by Jacques Tourneur with cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca I'm more than willing to believe it. Robert Mitchum stars and his first moments kind of threw me since his character of Jeff Bailey seems like just another small town nice guy. But it's a red herring. He's living under an alias which is revealed after a figure from his past shows up looking for him. His actual name is Jeff Markham and, as he explains to his current girlfriend in an extended flashback, years before he worked as a private eye hired by a shady businessman named Whit Sterling (Kirk Douglas). He wanted Jeff to track down his ex-mistress who ran off after stealing 40,000 dollars. The rest goes according to noir archetypes when he finally meets femme fatale Katherine Moffat (Jane Greer). There are plenty of double crosses and hidden motives and loads of atmosphere. Present day Whit wants Jeff's help getting out of a tax jam and without giving too much away, there are grudges to be settled and reckonings to be paid. This is a must see if you like hard boiled characters and beautiful but venomous women double dealing each other.
Saw this one for the first time a couple of years ago and it skyrocketed to one of my favorite films. So great.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 pm
Seven Samurai - 9.5/10 - Don't settle for anything less than this 1954 classic. Clocking in at almost three and a half hours, it flies by. There's so much to recommend it, from Toshiro Mifune's manic and indelible performance as Kikuchiyo to the poetic but also hyper realistic battle scenes to Asakazu Nakai's innovational cinematography. Considered by many to be Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece this needs no setup or exposition to enhance the viewing experience. If you haven't seen it take the plunge. If you have, by all means, watch it again.
This is one I want to rewatch again. I liked it, but I didn't feel as enamored with it as most people.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Fateful Findings is sub-par on every conceivable level. It has wooden acting, subplots that go nowhere, lovemaking scenes that are even more awkward than the ones in The Room and sets that make no sense (what kind of psychotherapists meet their patients in a conference room)? What's more, the soundtrack and mysticism make you feel like you're in the back corner of the typical souvenir shop where they keep the crystals, dreamcatchers and New Age CDs. Finally, there are all those blank laptops, piles of paper and copies of the same book that get thrown around so much, they might as well be in Katamari Damacy. With all of that said, and even though I cannot rate it any more than one star, you should definitely see it. Aside from the odd appeal that comes from watching something that defies all explanation and reasons for its existence, it has two of the most hilarious scenes I've ever seen in a movie, one involving all of the aforementioned office clutter, and as for the other, let's just say it mirrors what I'd do to myself if the movie had ended without it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 pm

Fateful Findings is Neil Breen's masterpiece. Unlike most bad movies, I can't tell what it was supposed to be. For instance, the Room is a failed Tennessee Williams-esque drama. Samurai Cop is a failed buddy cop flick. Troll 2 is a failed Gremlins/Leprechaun rip off.

But what the hell is Fateful Findings, with it's utterly insane social commentary, mysticism, murder plots and family melodrama is it trying and failing to be? Like the rest of his movies, it's clearly the work of a mad man but it's also the last time he did something "new." Everything since has been ruminations on the same kind of terrible.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:43 am

Mad Max ('79) is a very different film from what I expected it to be. It's not a bad or good thing, but definitely something that requires a mental adjustment.
User avatar
Apex Predator
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:55 am

Thief wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm
This is one I want to rewatch again. I liked it, but I didn't feel as enamored with it as most people.
To be fair, it got off to a slow start for me. But it picked up once Mifune entered the picture like a force of nature.
User avatar
Apex Predator
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:43 am
Mad Max ('79) is a very different film from what I expected it to be. It's not a bad or good thing, but definitely something that requires a mental adjustment.
It is. Compared to Beyond Thunderdome, this one is more of a tonal adjustment than anything.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 am

Mad Max

So I think that a huge part of my preconceived notions about this film come from (1) frequently hearing it (and its sequels) referred to as "post-apocalyptic" and (2) the "wild people in the desert" images that are often bandied about. This is more of an action/thriller with a near-future setting, and wasn't nearly as dystopian as I imagined.

I had kind of mixed feelings watching this one. Pretty much every element that was a positive also had a flip side to it. For eample, I really liked, in a way, that the film gives so much time to the domestic life of Max and his wife, Jessie. Typically the wife/girlfriend who is destined to be killed is just briefly introduced before being unceremoniously offed by the bad guys. Getting to spend more time with Jessie makes it feel like the film is about more than just fridging her for the purpose of providing Max with a reason to go over the edge.

But the flip side to this is that it is SO obvious that she is going to be killed by the gang that it creates a weird anticipation for it. And while it might not be fair to her character, it made many of her actions seem foolish. The sequence where she goes alone (with the baby) to buy ice cream, for example. It was hard to reconcile the violence of this near-future world with the idea that someone would (with no way of communicating with her partner) go off alone in an unfamiliar town. I would be hesitant to do that . . . now.

Where I think that the film is most successful is in the portrayal of the stage of a society going downhill before things go FULL dystopia. There is still a police force. There are still lawyers and courts. But clearly the balance of power is shifting and chaos is overtaking order. I appreciated Max's point of view as a person who is good at his job, but can feel the way that the system around him is failing and that abiding by rules is becoming a fatal restriction.

Overall my response was positive, but I had hoped to enjoy it more. Even accounting for the gap between expectation and reality, I feel like there was something missing. Just a little more spark.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:40 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 am
It is. Compared to Beyond Thunderdome, this one is more of a tonal adjustment than anything.
While I have seen Fury Road, this is the first of the original run of films that I've seen. I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan, so I haven't seen a film with him in probably over a decade.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:06 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 am
Mad Max

Just a little more spark.
That's what The Road Warrior is for.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:06 am
That's what The Road Warrior is for.
I noticed that it's IMDb rating is a good chunk higher (yes, I know IMDb is not the be-all/end-all of a film's quality).

You guys want to throw out your ratings for the 4 original films?
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:28 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 pm
Fateful Findings is Neil Breen's masterpiece. Unlike most bad movies, I can't tell what it was supposed to be. For instance, the Room is a failed Tennessee Williams-esque drama. Samurai Cop is a failed buddy cop flick. Troll 2 is a failed Gremlins/Leprechaun rip off.

But what the hell is Fateful Findings, with it's utterly insane social commentary, mysticism, murder plots and family melodrama is it trying and failing to be? Like the rest of his movies, it's clearly the work of a mad man but it's also the last time he did something "new." Everything since has been ruminations on the same kind of terrible.
I've heard that it's supposed to be a remake of Double Down in the same way that Evil Dead 2 is a remake of Evil Dead, so whatever that movie is supposed to be, that's what this one is as well.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 am
I noticed that it's IMDb rating is a good chunk higher (yes, I know IMDb is not the be-all/end-all of a film's quality).

You guys want to throw out your ratings for the 4 original films?
Mad Max 6.5/10
Road Warrior 9/10
Thunderdome 8/10
Fury Road 9/10
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 am
You guys want to throw out your ratings for the 4 original films?
I haven't seen Thunderdome and it's been a while since I've seen the other three but according to my IMDb, I have the original at a 5/10, Road Warrior at a 7/10, and Fury Road at an 8/10. I'll have to watch them again to see if my opinion changes, but all I remember about the original was that the pacing could've used a ton of work. I felt like it slowed down for far too long near the second half or so only to then rush through the final 5-10 minutes with Max seeking revenge. A better balance would've greatly helped. I don't remember what I criticized The Road Warrior for but I found it to be a great improvement. Also, it has one of my favorite
villain deaths
of all time (not sure if that's really a spoiler, but I'll spoil it just in case). I only saw Fury Road once shortly after it was released and some details have slipped my mind, but I remember getting some Spielberg vibes from it in the sense that it excelled at being pure entertainment. Topped with a few layers of depth, it's one of my favorites of its respective year.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 am
Mad Max

So I think that a huge part of my preconceived notions about this film come from (1) frequently hearing it (and its sequels) referred to as "post-apocalyptic" and (2) the "wild people in the desert" images that are often bandied about. This is more of an action/thriller with a near-future setting, and wasn't nearly as dystopian as I imagined.

I had kind of mixed feelings watching this one. Pretty much every element that was a positive also had a flip side to it. For eample, I really liked, in a way, that the film gives so much time to the domestic life of Max and his wife, Jessie. Typically the wife/girlfriend who is destined to be killed is just briefly introduced before being unceremoniously offed by the bad guys. Getting to spend more time with Jessie makes it feel like the film is about more than just fridging her for the purpose of providing Max with a reason to go over the edge.

But the flip side to this is that it is SO obvious that she is going to be killed by the gang that it creates a weird anticipation for it. And while it might not be fair to her character, it made many of her actions seem foolish. The sequence where she goes alone (with the baby) to buy ice cream, for example. It was hard to reconcile the violence of this near-future world with the idea that someone would (with no way of communicating with her partner) go off alone in an unfamiliar town. I would be hesitant to do that . . . now.

Where I think that the film is most successful is in the portrayal of the stage of a society going downhill before things go FULL dystopia. There is still a police force. There are still lawyers and courts. But clearly the balance of power is shifting and chaos is overtaking order. I appreciated Max's point of view as a person who is good at his job, but can feel the way that the system around him is failing and that abiding by rules is becoming a fatal restriction.

Overall my response was positive, but I had hoped to enjoy it more. Even accounting for the gap between expectation and reality, I feel like there was something missing. Just a little more spark.
I think I appreciated this one a lot more when I revisited it after having seen all the films. Like you point out, it's a portrait of an apocalypse in motion, rather than the post-apocalypse that the other films have settled into. While in my first viewing I was dumbfounded that the characters were doing shit like going on picnics, I could understand with a rewatch that they probably didn't (or didn't want to) grasp how bad things had really gotten (or that they were going to get even worse), so I could get on board with such actions by the characters. It's like a halfway point of Death Wish-level "things are bad" and the "things are REALLY bad" of the other movies. This is what I wrote on my blog a few years back, if you're interested.

Also, ratings:
I - 8
II - 10
III - 9
IV - 10

II and IV are some of the best action movies ever made, and I say this without exaggeration.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:03 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 am
Road Warrior 9/10
Fury Road 9/10
Well, I really loved Fury Road, so this is heartening.
Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 am
While in my first viewing I was dumbfounded that the characters were doing shit like going on picnics, I could understand with a rewatch that they probably didn't (or didn't want to) grasp how bad things had really gotten (or that they were going to get even worse), so I could get on board with such actions by the characters.
For me it felt like it traipsed past denial and just into stupidity.

I would have been okay with it if it were just one person. But there's something about Max being like "Whee! Yeah! Have a great time getting that ice cream!". Like, dude, you just saw a woman who had been beaten and raped and left with a chain around her neck, and you have no problem sending your wife and baby off unaccompanied and unarmed and with no means of communication?

I would almost want to see more signs of denial/despair from them to make it feel real. Watching them repeatedly put their child in danger just annoyed me. I think that their actions sort of fit with the whole "apocalypse in motion" thing where there are those vestiges of structure surrounded by chaos, but there was something about the wife having such a horrible experience with the gang while shopping only to then leave her baby and go for a walk on the beach alone that just made me kind of mad. And I think that's frustrating because (intentionally or not), it sort of makes it feel like the attack on her and the dog and the baby were her fault (and by slight extension the fault of the other adults). I think that getting to know her through the whole film somewhat diffuses the horror-movie impulse of "she deserved it!", but I think there's an element of that. I wish that it had come through more clearly that she was maybe numb to the violence around her as opposed to being stupidly ignorant of it. With Max we see his interactions with others (good and bad) within the current power structure, but we don't really get the same for her.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 am

Mad Max - B
Road Warrior - A+
Beyond Thunderdome - B+
Fury Road - A

I love how the series, like Evil Dead, is kinda loose with continuity and tonal adherence and instead takes every new movie as an effort to re-examine what the core premise is and what opportunities it might provide. As a nice bonus, the "disagreement" of the latter three movies can play just as well if interpreted as different post-apocalyptic societies syncretizing Max into their own history/mythology.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:25 am

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:28 am
I've heard that it's supposed to be a remake of Double Down in the same way that Evil Dead 2 is a remake of Evil Dead, so whatever that movie is supposed to be, that's what this one is as well.
Not exactly. Double Down is about a spy/hacker/operative/homeless man that is hacking into government secrets or something along those lines but that's a common thread that is in most of his films where he plays a special person confronting corruption. It lacks the mysticism and melodrama of FF. His second film, I Am Here.... Now is where he begins to depict himself as a higher being and that has carried into Pass Thru and Twisted Pair. He's certainly an auteur in the worst sense and seems to ruminate on his own brilliance and superiority in equal measure to how corrupt and in need of thinning out our population and upper class are.

He's a mad man and there's no one quite like him making films. I just wish he'd come up with a new idea to make positively insane

And Tak, I'd rate the Mad Max franchise as-

Mad Max- 4/5
Road Warrior- 4.5/5
Thunderdome- 3/5
Fury Road- 5/5

I didn't love any of them on first watches but they each grew in appreciation with each and every subsequent viewing.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 3329
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:57 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:43 am
Mad Max ('79) is a very different film from what I expected it to be. It's not a bad or good thing, but definitely something that requires a mental adjustment.
Hmmm...
Having seen them in the order they were released, and having seen Mad Max (still really my favorite in a franchise I have always really enjoyed) when I was like 12 or 13 years old, I am curious what you mean.

Toecutter is one of my favorite film-villains of all time, by the way.


Edit: Oh, I just hadn't scrolled down far enough yet, my bad.
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 3329
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:03 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 am
I noticed that it's IMDb rating is a good chunk higher (yes, I know IMDb is not the be-all/end-all of a film's quality).

You guys want to throw out your ratings for the 4 original films?
Mad Max - 10/10
The Road Warrior - 9.5/10
Beyond Thunderdome - 8/10 (this is the one I had to do the tonal adjustment for, but I've come around to really liking it a lot)
Fury Road - 8/10 (I actually didn't respond much to Tom Hardy for some reason, but I'm ready for them to totally turn the franchise over to Furiosa)
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25516
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Stu » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm
My immediate impression is I liked it more than Dunkirk, but time will be the judge of that, and after Tarantino recently called Dunkirk one of his favorite movies of the 2010s, a rewatch is needed.
Hell yeah; I mean, I only watched Dunkirk once, at the theater, but that one viewing just made such a huge impression that I want to wait a while before going back to it, like the decade-long wait I took inbetween my first two viewings of The Dark Knight (which held up basically just as well the second time, which makes me hopefuly for whenever I rewatch teh kirk).
User avatar
Slentert
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Slentert » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 am
Mad Max 6.5/10
Road Warrior 9/10
Thunderdome 8/10
Fury Road 9/10
I would agree with this.
User avatar
wichares
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:48 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by wichares » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Mad Max - 6
Road Warrior - 8
Beyond Thunderdome - 6.5
Fury Road - 10
User avatar
Thief
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 am
Mad Max

So I think that a huge part of my preconceived notions about this film come from (1) frequently hearing it (and its sequels) referred to as "post-apocalyptic" and (2) the "wild people in the desert" images that are often bandied about. This is more of an action/thriller with a near-future setting, and wasn't nearly as dystopian as I imagined.

I had kind of mixed feelings watching this one. Pretty much every element that was a positive also had a flip side to it. For eample, I really liked, in a way, that the film gives so much time to the domestic life of Max and his wife, Jessie. Typically the wife/girlfriend who is destined to be killed is just briefly introduced before being unceremoniously offed by the bad guys. Getting to spend more time with Jessie makes it feel like the film is about more than just fridging her for the purpose of providing Max with a reason to go over the edge.

But the flip side to this is that it is SO obvious that she is going to be killed by the gang that it creates a weird anticipation for it. And while it might not be fair to her character, it made many of her actions seem foolish. The sequence where she goes alone (with the baby) to buy ice cream, for example. It was hard to reconcile the violence of this near-future world with the idea that someone would (with no way of communicating with her partner) go off alone in an unfamiliar town. I would be hesitant to do that . . . now.

Where I think that the film is most successful is in the portrayal of the stage of a society going downhill before things go FULL dystopia. There is still a police force. There are still lawyers and courts. But clearly the balance of power is shifting and chaos is overtaking order. I appreciated Max's point of view as a person who is good at his job, but can feel the way that the system around him is failing and that abiding by rules is becoming a fatal restriction.

Overall my response was positive, but I had hoped to enjoy it more. Even accounting for the gap between expectation and reality, I feel like there was something missing. Just a little more spark.
I so much agree with this. I still haven't gotten to the second one, but I have it (and the others) on my agenda.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I think someone already said this, but every Max movie has its own personality so it's worth watching all of them to find the flavor you like most.
I'll just say that my colleagues are much higher on Thunderdome than I am. Yeesh. And I say this as someone that watched it 100 times as a tween.
User avatar
topherH
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by topherH » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Uncut Gems was a lot of yelling and letting people in on sports bet terminology. I kept waiting for Eric Brogosian to ask for the access codes for graser one.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
User avatar
Wooley
Posts: 3329
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 pm
I think someone already said this, but every Max movie has its own personality so it's worth watching all of them to find the flavor you like most.
I'll just say that my colleagues are much higher on Thunderdome than I am. Yeesh. And I say this as someone that watched it 100 times as a tween.
I was very down on Thunderdome for years. Very. I wouldn't watch it.
I came back around to thinking about it one day and thought, ya know, it's really different from the others but I actually like a lot of the individual concepts, now that I've had time to let it all kinda go.
Now I really, really like the movie. I hated the kids all my life, thought it was pandering to the Spielberg crowd, throwing in some Goonies or whatever. But it's actually a really interesting thing, it's almost like its own little 70s sci-fi movie in the middle of this Mad Max movie (which, of course, is its own kind of movie, introduced by the original, partly the reason that film remains my favorite of them all), but that's what kinda makes it so interesting. The first film had been done. The second film, a huge jumping off from the first one as now we're past the Apocalypse. What was George gonna do with the character now? I mean, the franchise is really about where does Max end up this time. What strange part of this near-future world is his wandering going to show us next? And this one, with Bartertown and then with this colony of children who grew up surviving in total isolation, making up their own mythology from the things they see around them and a few memories, it's pretty cool.
And I hated Tina Turner in this for at least a decade and now I love her. The final scene of this movie is my favorite in the franchise, outside of the first film (because Toecutter scenes would probably all have to be among my favorites).
And, honestly, Cap, I think part of the reason you and I rejected it is because it was that 'tween time and nothing from then seems to work well once you're an older adult.
But try and go back and watch it with fresh eyes and a clear mind and see if it doesn't deliver more than you remember.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am
I would agree with this.
FTR I have started rewatched the first Mad Max, and I may probably bump up a little.

Or that might just be because the opening twenty minutes are pretty spectacular. Moreso than I remember.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Recently Seen

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 pm
I think someone already said this, but every Max movie has its own personality so it's worth watching all of them to find the flavor you like most.
I'll just say that my colleagues are much higher on Thunderdome than I am. Yeesh. And I say this as someone that watched it 100 times as a tween.
My rating is almost exclusively reliant on the opening half, which could possibly be my favorite stretch in any of the Mad Max movies (maaaaybe).

I don't like the last half much at all.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Mad Max - 7/10
Road Warrior - 8.5/10
Beyond Thunderdome - 6.5/10
Fury Road - 9/10
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Maybe I might marathon the Mad Max films as well this weekend.
User avatar
DaMU
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Thunderdome just has too many fun ideas for me. The neat idea of Max going from one matriarch to the other (Auntie to Savannah Nix). The idea of this film's "prize" being knowledge instead of oil, which is teased with Savannah talking about the "knowin'" and how important it is to "do the tell" (which contrasts with Auntie building up her community in her own image). Auntie's community not subtly being built on top of shit.

IIRC, one of Miller's collaborators died between films, and Miller brought in another director to help complete the film, which explains why the flick is a bit schizophrenic.

But even so, with the film not hanging together, it's one of those where I love to rewatch because I know there's always something daffy and fun coming up next. The "give up your weapons" scene, or Auntie cueing the musician to background her narrative, or the film having the balls to kill a couple of the kids in quicksand, or the insane Looney Tunes moment where Ironbar twists his body over those pylons just in time for the one kid to straight-up hacksaw him off. Laughing just thinking about it.

Also, the quotes! "Bust a deal, face the wheel." "Two men enter, one man leave." "Dyin' time's here..." "Captain Walker!" "Ain't we a pair, Raggedy Man?"
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
User avatar
Patrick McGroin
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:52 pm

The Shop on Main Street - 8/10 - Czechoslovakian Best Foreign Film Oscar winner of 1965. This concerns a somewhat apathetic but amiable carpenter named Tono Brtko plying his trade during WWII in a small town in the Slovak state. The local Fascists are implementing an Aryanization programme in which local Jewish businesses are basically confiscated and turned over to "Aryanizers" or non Jews. Tono's brother-in-law is a highly placed official in the local Fascist party and offers Tono a store owned by an 85 year old woman named Rozália Lautmannová. She's hard of hearing and mostly oblivious to the impending darkness befalling her community. Tono's friend and anti-Fascist Imrich Kuchar explains to him that the old widow's store doesn't turn a profit and is dependent on donations from the local Jewish community. He tells the mild mannered Tono that they will pay him a weekly stipend if he agrees to oversee the shop and keep it out of the hands of what might be an unsympathetic overseer. The two seemingly disparate characters strike up a friendship of sorts which makes the impending cataclysm all the more heartbreaking. Jozef Kroner and Ida Kaminska, who play Tono and Rozalia respectively, are pitch perfect in their roles. The outcome is, of course, predetermined which adds a final layer of tragedy to the proceedings.
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Torgo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?
Sorry. Carry on.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 3096
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Mad Max - 8/10
Road Warrior - 10/10
Thunderdome - 8/10
Fury Road - 8.5/10


Like Wooley, I have a hard time seeing Tom Hardy in a Mel Gibson light. It's hard to underestimate (sorry, Tak) the young Mel Gibson presence, from Gallipoli to Year of Living Dangerously. I still can't quite fathom that Mel is barely 22 in Max, barely 25 in Road Warrior, not yet 30 in Thunderdome. Just a supernatural star. Hardy's also great in various ways, but the effortlessless, casualness, of Gibson Prime is entirely a different horse.
Post Reply