Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:21 am
52 Pick-Up is one groovy thriller.
I used to love that one when I was a teenager, it holds up you say?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 16, 2020 4:21 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 am
I need to rewatch this one, it's been ages, but I can still remember individual shots from that movie with total clarity.
It's a film that is ... not so much ahead of its time as just out of step with the time it was released. It would have been more fondly embraced as a 90s quirky-indie-type comedy. Its tone is more whimsical than Hanks' earlier man-child comedies (and Splash, Red Shoe and Volunteers are just as man-child in their way as Big), a kind of magical realism before that became a recognized cinematic genre. If you get on the film's wavelength, separated from the late-80s expectations of smart-aleck comedy, it's very warm and wistful and irresistibly charming.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 4:49 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 am
Absolutely. It's got Elmore Leonard adapting his own book and Frankenheimer directing. It's not without its Cannonisms but the writing, cast and directing are good enough that it just makes it unique. I liked it a lot. Picked up the Kino during their latest sale.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat May 16, 2020 8:03 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 am
A friend introduced it to me a few years ago. It's very tightly drawn and wonderfully sleazy. One of the best films Cannon put out (faint praise, that, but it's legit good).
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am

Macrology wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:03 am
A friend introduced it to me a few years ago. It's very tightly drawn and wonderfully sleazy. One of the best films Cannon put out (faint praise, that, but it's legit good).
I feel like I have to qualify it as one of the few legitimate quality films from Cannon but Cannon has produced a multitude of “great” films.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am

So Dead Bang (another 80’s Frankenheimer) is Don Johnson vs. white supremacists rather than being one as his post-Django output has dictated. It’s another very solid thriller from a master of making them.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:49 am
Absolutely. It's got Elmore Leonard adapting his own book and Frankenheimer directing. It's not without its Cannonisms but the writing, cast and directing are good enough that it just makes it unique. I liked it a lot. Picked up the Kino during their latest sale.
And I love me some Roy Scheider.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat May 16, 2020 5:20 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am
I feel like I have to qualify it as one of the few legitimate quality films from Cannon but Cannon has produced a multitude of “great” films.
I was a fan of Over The Brooklyn Bridge when I was young too, but also haven't seen that one in over 30 years. God I'm old.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm
The cast is just great for a film like this. Scheider is perfect in this, evoking his turns in Sorcerer and Marathon Man rather than Jaws, but the rest of the cast just does a fantastic job. John Glover, Robert Trebor and ESPECIALLY Clarence Williams III are exceptional as the black mailers.

Even Ann Margret and Vanity (one of the prettiest people of the 80s?) are given substantially more complex roles than women are often afforded in twisty, turny crime thrillers like this, but that’s usual for Leonard’s writing.

I’m definitely going to be championing it from here on out.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Odd Man Out - 8/10 - Watched this 1947 thriller based in Belfast Northern Ireland because of it's 100% Tomatometer and because it was directed by Carol Reed who also did The Third Man. James Mason stars as Johnny McQueen, an IRA (which, like the location, is never referred to directly) leader hiding out after a prison escape. He leads a small group in the payroll robbery of a mill and is wounded during the getaway. This happens within the first few minutes and the rest of the movie is devoted to the police manhunt and McQueen's tortuous passage through the nighttime streets of Belfast while members of his organization, his friends and an army of constables comb the vicinity. This is in the end a gripping narrative with plenty of metaphysical trappings thrown in and McQueen ultimately becoming a McGuffin of sorts. There are countless players for whom the fugitive comes to embody both a solution and a conundrum all at the same time. It's worth a watch.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 am

From Beyond - 7/10 - Filmed in Italy and made by the same production team and director and starring the same actors from Re-Animator. Jeffrey Combs plays Crawford Tillinghast, the assistant to the brilliant but deeply twisted Dr. Edward Pretorius. Pretorius has constructed a Resonator that stimulates the human pineal gland and allows the test subject access to a parallell reality. This is also based on an H.P. Lovecraft short story and there are the usual references to Miskatonic University.
After a horriic accident leaves Pretorius dead Tillinghast is committed to a mental ward and accused of murder. Psychiatrist Dr. Katherine McMichaels, along with Detective Bubba Brownlee, is permitted to take him back to the lab to recreate the experiment. Things develop as you might expect with shitloads of slime and prosthetics. Four different studios worked on this and it shows because they certainly didn't skimp on the FX. This sort of reminded me of The Fly and also Hellraiser with it's S&M details.
I'm glad I watched this. I had no idea it was a Stuart Gordon movie. But so is Dolls. That's next.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 am

The Naked Gun, 1988 (A)

Not quite Airplane!, but it's up there.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 4:40 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 am
From Beyond - 7/10 - Filmed in Italy and made by the same production team and director and starring the same actors from Re-Animator. Jeffrey Combs plays Crawford Tillinghast, the assistant to the brilliant but deeply twisted Dr. Edward Pretorius. Pretorius has constructed a Resonator that stimulates the human pineal gland and allows the test subject access to a parallell reality. This is also based on an H.P. Lovecraft short story and there are the usual references to Miskatonic University.
After a horriic accident leaves Pretorius dead Tillinghast is committed to a mental ward and accused of murder. Psychiatrist Dr. Katherine McMichaels, along with Detective Bubba Brownlee, is permitted to take him back to the lab to recreate the experiment. Things develop as you might expect with shitloads of slime and prosthetics. Four different studios worked on this and it shows because they certainly didn't skimp on the FX. This sort of reminded me of The Fly and also Hellraiser with it's S&M details.
I'm glad I watched this. I had no idea it was a Stuart Gordon movie. But so is Dolls. That's next.
Nice, glad you liked this! I love Ted Sorel's insistent NOOOO! when Combs tells him to turn off the Resonator.

This is one of my favorite S&E reviews, too; Siskel was annoyingly down on a lot of good horror movies, so it's nice to see him clearly enchanted by this movie. It's also nice to see Ebert, who couldn't quite recommend the film, nonetheless say that Gordon had a future with being a particularly good director of these kinds of movies and maybe other kinds of movies. Both of which turned out to be true.

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Looper - 8/10
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 17, 2020 4:38 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:40 am
Nice, glad you liked this! I love Ted Sorel's insistent NOOOO! when Combs tells him to turn off the Resonator.

This is one of my favorite S&E reviews, too; Siskel was annoyingly down on a lot of good horror movies, so it's nice to see him clearly enchanted by this movie. It's also nice to see Ebert, who couldn't quite recommend the film, nonetheless say that Gordon had a future with being a particularly good director of these kinds of movies and maybe other kinds of movies. Both of which turned out to be true.

Is the Resonator just an unregulated Oscillation Overthruster? I am doing some research for the Hong Kong Caviliers....
NOTE: I want to see Peter Weller to a sequel as Buckaroo a la the King Conan film which will also never be made.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 pm
Looper - 8/10
I felt really let down by Looper. Annoyingly, I can't quite say exactly why. I'd still give it a 7/10, but I just wanted something more than what I got.

I did, however, strongly appreciate its twist on the old
killing a villain as a child trope.
replican

Post by replican » Sun May 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Blue Jasmine 3/5

I've never been a Woody fan. Having read up on him, I understand his significance as a contributor to the evolution of comedy films and the creation of the archetypal Woody character. But his schtick wears thin over the course of an entire film. When Woody is clicking with the one liners, he's the wittiest writer of all time. It's when he stretches his stories with the serious relationship stuff that he loses me. The comedy and lighthearted relationship dynamics he gets right most of the time and is what I find most enjoyable. But beyond that his writing is weak.

With Blue Jasmine, it's the opposite. The serious aspects of the themes explored in the film are far more interesting and entertaining than the lighthearted stuff. The goofy blue collar characters that are played for jokes come off as trite but when Woody juxtaposes that with Jasmine's point of view and what she finds attractive, it gets interesting. This is my second viewing of the film. I don't remember being as impressed by Cate's performance the first time around. One of those where the actor has to give a lived in performance or else everything falls apart.

I'm fascinated by Woody Allen. His films have never captured me like it seems to do for a lot of who I consider really smart people. To be more specific, I get the impression that a lot of very smart and attractive women adore his films. That somehow Woody's writing speaks to them or captures certain aspects of their psyche on film. But that doesn't mean watching his films gives you any insight into the mind of the female characters. They are verbose and speak without inhibition but I still find them enigmatic. There's a certain frenetic energy about a lot of his female characters. For example Jasmine emotes a lot but we don't understand the cause of her behavior.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Funnily, I'm rewatching Looper right now, first time since release, and I'm delighted by details I'd forgotten. I'd forgotten that the future montage of Bruce Willis is entirely wordless. I'd completely forgotten Jeff Daniels plays the heavy. I'd forgotten Blunt's first scene comes so late and she caps her opening monologue with a threat to cut JGL "the fuck in half." Admire the hell out of how much information it packs into its first act. I was convinced we were 40 minutes into the film when Bruce Willis showed up, due to the volume of what'd happened, but it was about 28 minutes. One thing I liked then and like now is that beneath all the convolution, its core interest in the tension of staring your future self down and contending with the choices you made and the regrets you feel.

I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Roommate noticed that JGL is right-handed and BW is left-handed! Also that Blunt cocks her shotgun twice in one scene. Cocking guns in movies is funny. "I was serious before but I'm mega-serious now!"
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun May 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:43 pm
I felt really let down by Looper. Annoyingly, I can't quite say exactly why. I'd still give it a 7/10, but I just wanted something more than what I got.

I did, however, strongly appreciate its twist on the old
killing a villain as a child trope.
I agree - that was one of the things I liked most about it. Also:
Casting Jeff Daniels against type as a mob boss
JGL is a great actor. Great kid. (I know he's almost 40, but to me he's still a kid)

Unfortunately Willis just feels like he's playing Willis. And has done so for about the last 20 years.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 am
And this is a movie I actually liked better on repeat viewings, so you have that to look forward to.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 6:29 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:42 pm
Funnily, I'm rewatching Looper right now, first time since release, and I'm delighted by details I'd forgotten. I'd forgotten that the future montage of Bruce Willis is entirely wordless. I'd completely forgotten Jeff Daniels plays the heavy. I'd forgotten Blunt's first scene comes so late and she caps her opening monologue with a threat to cut JGL "the fuck in half." Admire the hell out of how much information it packs into its first act. I was convinced we were 40 minutes into the film when Bruce Willis showed up, due to the volume of what'd happened, but it was about 28 minutes. One thing I liked then and like now is that beneath all the convolution, its core interest in the tension of staring your future self down and contending with the choices you made and the regrets you feel.

I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Roommate noticed that JGL is right-handed and BW is left-handed! Also that Blunt cocks her shotgun twice in one scene. Cocking guns in movies is funny. "I was serious before but I'm mega-serious now!"
Also, I respect that the film is able to weave together a couple of different sci-fi premises into its story: time-travel and telekinesis. That reminds me a little of how Philip K. Dick would turn his stories into sci-fi smorgasbords. And I like how Old Joe just runs roughshod through everyone in the final act, which makes sense given the hard choices he's made.
Killing kids and whatnot.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Charles wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 am
The Naked Gun, 1988 (A)

Not quite Airplane!, but it's up there.
Having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I want to go.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 pm

replican wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:46 pm

I'm fascinated by Woody Allen. His films have never captured me like it seems to do for a lot of who I consider really smart people. To be more specific, I get the impression that a lot of very smart and attractive women adore his films. That somehow Woody's writing speaks to them or captures certain aspects of their psyche on film. But that doesn't mean watching his films gives you any insight into the mind of the female characters. They are verbose and speak without inhibition but I still find them enigmatic. There's a certain frenetic energy about a lot of his female characters. For example Jasmine emotes a lot but we don't understand the cause of her behavior.
I feel seen. Woody Allen is probably my favorite screenwriter and his output is insane in quantity, quality and diversity. Sure, he riffs on the same ideas here and there, but anyone that can write/direct Manhattan, Match Point, Zelig, Midnight in Paris, Everyone Says I Love You, Radio Days and Stardust Memories, while having them still feel like they come from the same voice, is a mind boggling talent.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 6:57 pm

A little Woody goes a long way.
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:29 pm
My personal favorite is OJ's slapstick on the boat.

The Invasion, 2007 (C)

Not great. It feels like the director is in a rush to hit every plot point, and then it becomes an okay chase movie. Everything goes too fast, but somehow, almost the entire second half feels like a drag.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 pm
I feel seen. Woody Allen is probably my favorite screenwriter and his output is insane in quantity, quality and diversity. Sure, he riffs on the same ideas here and there, but anyone that can write/direct Manhattan, Match Point, Zelig, Midnight in Paris, Everyone Says I Love You, Radio Days and Stardust Memories, while having them still feel like they come from the same voice, is a mind boggling talent.
I agree with you. I was never a Woody Allen fan, even though I liked some of his kooky stuff like Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy. And then I saw Annie Hall. My mind was just fucking blown. That's an historic film, I don't care what anybody says. And I see some of his other movies like Midnight In Paris and Blue Jasmine and, even though I didn't love either of those films, I'm like, "Jesus, is this guy great. Great."
And then I saw Manhattan recently. Holy shit. That movie is a fucking masterpiece. And it's the writing. It's so deeply real. So deeply gets the subtleties of feeling in relationships. Really stunned me. Of course, the acting's great, it's shot perfectly, the music is good. But the black and white. What a brilliant fucking decision. I don't ever want to see that movie in color.
Seriously, the guy is an All-time Master, regardless of what we may think of him as a person.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 pm

replican wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:46 pm
But beyond that his writing is weak.
???

Hannah and Her Sisters? Crimes and Misdemeanors? Annie Hall? Manhattan? Husbands and Wives? Stardust Memories?

Nuh-uh.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm

When I saw Manhattan, I was surprised at how great of a mark it left on me. The writing was so good and so lived-in in the sense that it seemed to accurately represent the nature of the relationship onscreen. His one-liners are clever and all, but I mainly liked seeing all the slow, subtle shifts in perspective in those relationships. It didn't happen all at once. It was spread out throughout the film. I was on board with it all throughout and I found the dialogue as memorable and realistic as any film I've ever seen. After learning about what Allen did in real life, I haven't felt motivated to rewatch it (my feelings are exacerbated by how the central plot involves Allen in a romance with someone much younger than him, which is really awkward to think about now), but it's definitely one of the most memorable film viewings I've ever had. I just can't fathom calling his writing weak.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm
When I saw Manhattan, I was surprised at how great of a mark it left on me. The writing was so good and so lived-in in the sense that it seemed to accurately represent the nature of the relationship onscreen. His one-liners are clever and all, but I mainly liked seeing all the slow, subtle shifts in perspective in those relationships. It didn't happen all at once. It was spread out throughout the film. I was on board with it all throughout and I found the dialogue as memorable and realistic as any film I've ever seen. After learning about what Allen did in real life, I haven't felt motivated to rewatch it (my feelings are exacerbated by how the central plot involves Allen in a romance with someone much younger than him, which is really awkward to think about now), but it's definitely one of the most memorable film viewings I've ever had. I just can't fathom calling his writing weak.
I agree with you, that film should be in the Louvre.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 pm
???

Hannah and Her Sisters? Crimes and Misdemeanors? Annie Hall? Manhattan? Husbands and Wives? Stardust Memories?

Nuh-uh.
It's a baffling sentiment I hear often that usually reveals that the person has barely seen the tip of the tip of his filmography iceberg.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Woody... just the tip...

Hehehe
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Dolls - 7/10 - At last. A movie I thought I had never seen but actually had. I liked this. I liked it this time and I remember liking it last time I watched it. It's slight, in that Stuart Gordon isn't swinging for the bleachers like he did with Re-Animator. But even though it's a more modest project it's still winning. A horrible yuppie-like couple's car breaks down in the middle of a hellacious storm and they, along with the man's daughter, take shelter in a remote and, naturally of course, spooky mansion. The old couple who live there are a toymaker and his witchy woman wife. Two 80's style skanky hitchhikers dressed up like Madonna show up as well with nice guy/comic relief Ralph. Things go according to plan with the spark provided by the title characters and the moral of the story being that children are guileless and need to be nurtured while most adults are beyond redemption. This is only 75 minutes long so it's well worth taking a chance on.
replican

Post by replican » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm
It's a baffling sentiment I hear often that usually reveals that the person has barely seen the tip of the tip of his filmography iceberg.
To be fair though, even that description could mean having seen a decent number of his films.
replican

Post by replican » Sun May 17, 2020 11:26 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 pm
???

Nuh-uh.
I've seen three of those. Annie Hall being the best of them. I consider Interiors to be his best serious work.

The Woody Allen making wise cracking self-depreciating comments/jabs is what I find to be him at his best. Other than that, it's difficult for me to take his relationship stuff seriously when he's in it.

I tried re-watching Manhattan recently, could not get through early scene with them at the restaurant. Come on man, she's in high school. It would be watchable if played for laughs but it's not. Something along the lines of Seth Rogan and the high school girl in Pineapple Express.

Allen's approach to serious/deep themes always strike me as perfunctory. I read that Allen doesn't do backstory for characters. That might be why. I feel emotionally distant when watching his films. And that's fine. Like I said, I find him very funny so I don't need to connect with a character for it to be humorous.
replican

Post by replican » Sun May 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm
I agree with you. I was never a Woody Allen fan, even though I liked some of his kooky stuff like Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy. And then I saw Annie Hall. My mind was just fucking blown. That's an historic film, I don't care what anybody says. And I see some of his other movies like Midnight In Paris and Blue Jasmine and, even though I didn't love either of those films, I'm like, "Jesus, is this guy great. Great."
And then I saw Manhattan recently. Holy shit. That movie is a fucking masterpiece. And it's the writing. It's so deeply real. So deeply gets the subtleties of feeling in relationships. Really stunned me. Of course, the acting's great, it's shot perfectly, the music is good. But the black and white. What a brilliant fucking decision. I don't ever want to see that movie in color.
Seriously, the guy is an All-time Master, regardless of what we may think of him as a person.
I'm going to try and rewatch Manhattan.

Do you not have a hard time relating to the characters? They seem to be fairly well off in NYC with glorious jobs and first world problems. Like no shit anyone would suffer from neurosis under those conditions. That can get unwatchable.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 11:36 pm

replican wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm
To be fair though, even that description could mean having seen a decent number of his films.
It’s true. I’ve seen 25 (and his mini series) of his films and still know I’ve missed some of his best work. I think when dealing with Allen, the expanse and prolific nature of his output has to be taken into account when discussing his talent.

Given how personal many of his films are, either emotionally or intellectually, I haven’t seen a single one that didn’t have merit in that it was at worst an interesting failure or a stepping stone to a more polished work. For instance, Crimes and Misdemeanors is great in its own right but they way he used ideas and themes from it to craft the arguably superior Match Point highlights this interconnectivity in his works.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 am

I'm a big fan of Sleeper and The Purple Rose of Cairo
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 am
I'm a big fan of Sleeper and The Purple Rose of Cairo
TPROC has a perfect ending.
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:29 pm
I wouldn't wait to fill out those organ donor cards.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
replican

Post by replican » Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 am

Does anyone have a really cool scene that they want to talk about? Not something totally obscure as some of you are prone to do. A scene that hits home or you find exhilarating.

Like for me, the karaoke scene in Lost in Translation is orgasmic. The part where Murray sings

more than this
there is nothing

And he looks at Scarlett....no drug could get me to be as in the moment as that instance.

But I don't want to dissect that scene because I save my viewing of LiT for very special occasions that involves a whole ritual.

Another favorite scenes of mine is the monologue in A Ghost Story. I can't find the entire scene:
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 am

replican wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 am
Does anyone have a really cool scene that they want to talk about? Not something totally obscure as some of you are prone to do. A scene that hits home or you find exhilarating.

Like for me, the karaoke scene in Lost in Translation is orgasmic. The part where Murray sings

more than this
there is nothing

And he looks at Scarlett....no drug could get me to be as in the moment as that instance.

But I don't want to dissect that scene because I save my viewing of LiT for very special occasions that involves a whole ritual.

Haven't seen it, I'm afraid.

This is one of mine... Mickey Rourke's monologue from The Expendables. For being such a silly action flick, this is an almost out-of-place scene... but I think it's beautiful.

DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 am

replican wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 am
The biggest one for me the past few years is the ending revelation in Unbreakable.
Not because of the reveal itself (he's the villain!), but because I empathize so deeply with Elijah's need for purpose. It feels like it's coming from such a real place, and who hasn't been filled with doubt about their path in life? Or even the idea of a path? I think it's one of Jackson's best scenes as an actor (his voice cracks when he says, "I'm not a mistake"), and it's delivered with total clarity by Shyamalan and his creative staff. James Newton Howard's score gives it a huge assist, too.
The most exhilarating movie scenes to me are ones that are striking both in terms of narrative/craft and in terms of personal connection. The second bike flight in E. T., the lead-up to the moment, is spellbinding in terms of Spielberg's ability. It also hurts my heart because my friends and I at that age were always looking for bigger hills to ride our bikes on.

NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon May 18, 2020 3:03 am

Elevator kiss- Drive
replican

Post by replican » Mon May 18, 2020 3:03 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 am
Haven't seen it, I'm afraid.

This is one of mine... Mickey Rourke's monologue from The Expendables. For being such a silly action flick, this is an almost out-of-place scene... but I think it's beautiful.
Damn does Rourke sell that scene. In the hands of a lesser actor and that comes off as a parody. Hell just the quick shots of Stallone almost manage to ruin it.
replican

Post by replican » Mon May 18, 2020 3:08 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:03 am
Elevator kiss- Drive
o hell yea! talk about tonal shift.

Come to think of it, the film has several scenes in the apartment and the lobby that make perfect use of the indoor setting. I haven't seen it in a while but I can still vividly recall how the camera captures the walls/doors of the apartment and lobby.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 am
The biggest one for me the past few years is the ending revelation in Unbreakable.
Not because of the reveal itself (he's the villain!), but because I empathize so deeply with Elijah's need for purpose. It feels like it's coming from such a real place, and who hasn't been filled with doubt about their path in life? Or even the idea of a path? I think it's one of Jackson's best scenes as an actor (his voice cracks when he says, "I'm not a mistake"), and it's delivered with total clarity by Shyamalan and his creative staff. James Newton Howard's score gives it a huge assist, too.
The most exhilarating movie scenes to me are ones that are striking both in terms of narrative/craft and in terms of personal connection. The second bike flight in E. T., the lead-up to the moment, is spellbinding in terms of Spielberg's ability. It also hurts my heart because my friends and I at that age were always looking for bigger hills to ride our bikes on.

Both are great scenes... the chase is probably my favorite from ET.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon May 18, 2020 3:46 am

I'm a FAN of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 am
Interesting.
I was always mixed on the film's ending. Like, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant it getting a 6.34 on RT from the critics, but I was just left indifferent to it. Like, it's a good, surprising reveal in and of itself. I just didn't think the film really needed a twist ending. Shyamalan's known for his twist endings which sometimes work really well and sometimes don't add much to the film. I suppose the ending to this film adds a bit to the film, but it's never been enough for me to get fully on board with it. Considering that most of the focus of the film wasn't on Elijah but was on Dunn's powerful arc, it just left me with sort of a shrug. Maybe if I connected to him more during the film, I would've felt the ending more. I dunno.
Do you think a rewatch would help for someone to appreciate it more?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:14 am

replican wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:26 pm
I consider Interiors to be his best serious work.
Urgh. It's an unserious person's idea of a serious movie. It sure does look serious.

I can understand, maybe, someone who was unfortunate enough to start off their Woody excursion with a trail of films like Jade Scorpion, Anything Else, Whatever Works, To Rome With Love, Irrational Man, etc., and thinking "Man, this guy is a really shitty overrated writer". Woody has lots of poorly written films under his belt.