Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Ganesh

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Ganesh » Wed May 20, 2020 12:14 am

Thoughts on the Last Dance? The story of Michael Jordan and the 1990's Chicago Bulls

10/10
replican

Post by replican » Wed May 20, 2020 12:50 am

Ganesh wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:14 am
Thoughts on the Last Dance? The story of Michael Jordan and the 1990's Chicago Bulls

10/10
As with most television I was in no hurry to watch it, was going to play catch up later. But I'm regretting because now everyone is talking about and I'm like, haven't seen it yet.

Definitely looking forward to it. It looks like it did a great job of capturing that 90s zeitgeist.
replican

Post by replican » Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am

My Man Godfrey (1936) 5/5

Sooooooooo freaking fun to watch. Another one of those b&w gems I mentioned earlier ITT about what a joy they are to discover. It had me LOLing throughout. The wit in this classic hasn't aged a bit. I'm a sucker for the witty one liner back and forth quips. The family dynamics were hilarious. Supporting characters well written. Just great fun to watch. A pleasure that it seems only the old school large Hollywood studios managed to execute to perfection.

Another thing that's cool about discovering old big studio era films is to slowly get familiar with the stars of eras bygone. Every now and then I find myself noticing actors and learning more about them, just passively.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed May 20, 2020 4:01 am

Wonder - 7/10

Whisper of the Heart - 6/10
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 20, 2020 5:52 am

replican wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am

Sooooooooo freaking fun to watch. Another one of those b&w gems I mentioned earlier ITT about what a joy they are to discover. It had me LOLing throughout. The wit in this classic hasn't aged a bit. I'm a sucker for the witty one liner back and forth quips. The family dynamics were hilarious. Supporting characters well written. Just great fun to watch. A pleasure that it seems only the old school large Hollywood studios managed to execute to perfection.

Another thing that's cool about discovering old big studio era films is to slowly get familiar with the stars of eras bygone. Every now and then I find myself noticing actors and learning more about them, just passively.
Oh yeah, I'm absolutely with you, I've seen this twice and I absolutely love it.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 am

replican wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am

The first time I saw this, I watched it twice in 24 hours. It is probably my favorite comedy film.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 pm

That oner from Extraction is something else. At a certain point, however, exhilaration crosses into exhaustion, which is the conundrum of Extraction.

Somewhere Ian Malcolm is saying, “Yeah, but your cinematographers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could do wild oner, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

It's actually a cool sequence, but still. I feel the way I felt after Avatar and I didn't want to look at anything purple, pink, or blue for a week, because by eyes had been burned out by the glowing color palate.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Slentert wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 am
The first time I saw this, I watched it twice in 24 hours. It is probably my favorite comedy film.
It's the screwball comedy done to perfection, as far as I'm concerned. It was one of the first I ever saw, and I still doubt I've seen its match.
replican

Post by replican » Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm

What are some good films featuring the Benedick and Beatrice type dynamic. Doesn't have to be the leads because there are some instances where secondary characters fit that bill and do it well.

I'm talking combative witty one liners.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 pm
That oner from Extraction is something else. At a certain point, however, exhilaration crosses into exhaustion, which is the conundrum of Extraction.

Somewhere Ian Malcolm is saying, “Yeah, but your cinematographers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could do wild oner, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

It's actually a cool sequence, but still. I feel the way I felt after Avatar and I didn't want to look at anything purple, pink, or blue for a week, because by eyes had been burned out by the glowing color palate.
I feel like this could have been a really good time of it was a) half an hour shorter and b) less self-serious but alas it feels tiresome more than anything else.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm

replican wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm
What are some good films featuring the Benedick and Beatrice type dynamic. Doesn't have to be the leads because there are some instances where secondary characters fit that bill and do it well.

I'm talking combative witty one liners.
I love The Awful Truth (as I never shut up about around here). It's not quite the same, they're already married when the movie starts, but that quick back and forth between people who are clearly meant for each other but are too busy being prideful smartasses is definitely there.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Hotel Artemis has all the ingredients to be something very much my bag but doesn’t do anything with them at all. Like there’s a couple of scenes that work but overall, it feels like a first draft that hadn’t been cracked.

And given that I saw the comparison elsewhere, it isn’t fit to lick the boots of Bad Times at the El Royale.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:19 pm
Hotel Artemis has all the ingredients to be something very much my bag but doesn’t do anything with them at all. Like there’s a couple of scenes that work but overall, it feels like a first draft that hadn’t been cracked.

And given that I saw the comparison elsewhere, it isn’t fit to lick the boots of Bad Times at the El Royale.
I wrote it up a few pages back. I liked it. I hear what you're saying about it feeling very "first draft". But I thought that it was really elevated by Jodie Foster's performance. In a sea of "wouldn't it be cool if someone _____", hers felt like a real character in this bizarre alternate reality. And I really like Jenny Slate, so her popping up was a pleasant surprise.

To me it's a C+ that could have been a B+ if it were refined a bit.

It was very much the frivolous entertainment I've been needing lately.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:19 pm

I referenced both since they were released around the same time. I said I much preferred HA's pulpy fun to BTatER's labored grandiosity. FYI, neither of them are a hill worth dying on.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:23 pm

Very much in the spirit that I "recommended" The Hitman Agency, I encourage you to check out Dead Lucky. It's a Russian dark comedy/action/mystery with a plot that starts out nonsensical and ends . . . complex and nonsensical. There's a fight scene with about 180 edits. There's crackling dialogue like "Now your testicles belong to me!". There's a double twist-ending that you will never see coming because it makes no sense at all. Someone in the crew clearly said "Fake blood? Nah, we can just water down some BBQ sauce!".
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm
I wrote it up a few pages back. I liked it. I hear what you're saying about it feeling very "first draft". But I thought that it was really elevated by Jodie Foster's performance. In a sea of "wouldn't it be cool if someone _____", hers felt like a real character in this bizarre alternate reality. And I really like Jenny Slate, so her popping up was a pleasant surprise.

To me it's a C+ that could have been a B+ if it were refined a bit.

It was very much the frivolous entertainment I've been needing lately.
I found its bungling of those performers to be one of its most grievous missteps. It insists upon the characters through incessant dialogue and low energy interaction but never does anything to elevate them above the archetype they clearly are when they appear.

Foster, Brown, Boutella and Batista in particular really try to lend personality to their characters but there was just a profound emptiness to it all.

I was hoping for frivolous fun but I found myself waiting out the movie. When it gave nothing endings to half its characters and ended with a Blumhouse level after credits, I felt it had wasted not only my time, but a cast, resources and premise that could have been special.

I’d be willing to die on the hill that Bad Times at the El Royale is frustratingly close to greatness and is great much of the time. It actually gave its talented cast dynamic characters that found themselves in complex, often violent situations with a fairly solid subtext to boot.

If both movies are fast food, Bad Times is an order of Five Guys Cajun Fries. Messy, spills out of the cup, strong in flavor but filling and fairly delicious. Hotel Artemis is day old microwaved McDonald’s fries.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 pm
If both movies are fast food, Bad Times is an order of Five Guys Cajun Fries. Messy, spills out of the cup, strong in flavor but filling and fairly delicious. Hotel Artemis is day old microwaved McDonald’s fries.
But are either of them as good as The Hitman Agency?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 12:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 am
But are either of them as good as The Hitman Agency?
You’ll have to watch Bad Times to find out!
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu May 21, 2020 1:50 am

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - 8/10
replican

Post by replican » Thu May 21, 2020 2:42 am

Death Proof wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:50 am
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - 8/10
Top 3 comedy for me. Off the charts hilarity.

It felt a lot like the first time I watched Blazing Saddles not knowing what to expect. Pure anarchic humor.

I was soooo stoned while watching the dance scene. Had me gasping for air and in tears.

replican

Post by replican » Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
I love The Awful Truth (as I never shut up about around here). It's not quite the same, they're already married when the movie starts, but that quick back and forth between people who are clearly meant for each other but are too busy being prideful smartasses is definitely there.
O yea this movie. It got a lot of love on a recent Flimspotting podcast. Definitely moving it up the queue.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:38 am
You’ll have to watch Bad Times to find out!
That's not what I was getting at. :x

C'mon. All the cool people are watching The Hitman Agency. This is definitely not a case of "This tastes gross. Here, taste this!" :shifty:
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 am
That's not what I was getting at. :x

C'mon. All the cool people are watching The Hitman Agency. This is definitely not a case of "This tastes gross. Here, taste this!" :shifty:
I knew what you were going for there. The Hitman Agency sounds like ..dare I say it? Good pulpy fun. I'll make a point of finding it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 3:12 am

replican wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 am
O yea this movie. It got a lot of love on a recent Flimspotting podcast. Definitely moving it up the queue.
Cary Grant at his comedic best. Irene Dunne totally holds up her end. And... a dog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 am
I knew what you were going for there. The Hitman Agency sounds like ..dare I say it? Good pulpy fun. I'll make a point of finding it.
Oh, it's trash. Delicious, delicious trash.

Get to the scene underscored by the long drawn out sound of one of the speakers urinating.

Also, the out of place cymbal crashes did not abate. I think someone in the orchestra got paid extra every time they interrupted a line with a cymbal crash.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 3:34 am

Hotel Artemis was fine, nothing to get in a twist about here. Great shake, no, adequate at being what it was, yup.
Boutella did Boutella, really liked Bautista, Foster transformed as she does, Goldblum was pointless stunt-casting, Quinto is probably just not really a movie-star, I always enjoy Jenny Slate, like most comedians she can also do drama in a small role here, I don't know who Charlie Day is but he did his job here, and then there's the standout of the film, Sterling K. Brown, who I don't think I've ever seen before but has real magnetism.
The group holds up the slight, silly, fairly fun script and the filmmakers then just throw style at the whole thing and that's that. I got no problem with this.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 am

You don’t know who Charlie Day is? You don’t watch It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia where he plays one of the greatest tv comedy characters ever crafted? Gotta get in that, bruh. Also, Sterling K. Brown KILLS it in American Crime Story and Waves. He’s even enjoyable in the unmitigated train wreck that is The Predator.

I think I would have liked HA if it had been fun. Everything just played out in the flattest, most obvious fashion. It had all the ingredients and forgot an ounce of flavor. It made Smoking Aces look like Kill Bill.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:34 am
Hotel Artemis was fine, nothing to get in a twist about here. Great shake, no, adequate at being what it was, yup.
Boutella did Boutella, really liked Bautista, Foster transformed as she does, Goldblum was pointless stunt-casting, Quinto is probably just not really a movie-star, I always enjoy Jenny Slate, like most comedians she can also do drama in a small role here, I don't know who Charlie Day is but he did his job here, and then there's the standout of the film, Sterling K. Brown, who I don't think I've ever seen before but has real magnetism.
The group holds up the slight, silly, fairly fun script and the filmmakers then just throw style at the whole thing and that's that. I got no problem with this.
Yeah, this is basically what I thought I was saying. As for Charlie Day he's been on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia for quite a few years and he was in Pacific Rim and Horrible Bosses.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 am

replican wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:42 am
Top 3 comedy for me. Off the charts hilarity.

It felt a lot like the first time I watched Blazing Saddles not knowing what to expect. Pure anarchic humor.

I was soooo stoned while watching the dance scene. Had me gasping for air and in tears.

I don't know why it's eluded me for so long. Amazing cast.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 am
You don’t know who Charlie Day is? You don’t watch It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia where he plays one of the greatest tv comedy characters ever crafted? Gotta get in that, bruh. Also, Sterling K. Brown KILLS it in American Crime Story and Waves. He’s even enjoyable in the unmitigated train wreck that is The Predator.

I think I would have liked HA if it had been fun. Everything just played out in the flattest, most obvious fashion. It had all the ingredients and forgot an ounce of flavor. It made Smoking Aces look like Kill Bill.
I do not. I watched Always Sunny once or twice. Not quite my tempo. Almost exactly the kind of humor I cannot enjoy. It is what it is. Didn't know he was in it.
I haven't heard of the two things you're talking about with regard to Brown. And I didn't see The Predator cause I just didn't think it would be any good.
I think I'd put it right about on par with Smokin' Aces, which just tried too hard without having the any of the goods, but I gave it a sort of a pass based on the same easy-going nature I'm applying here to HA.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 am

Oh yeah. And to stop arguing for a moment, My Man Godfrey is exceptional. William Powell and Carole Lombard are just phenomenal in it. I’m not sure if it’s my favorite screwball comedy (Bringing Up Baby is the likely winner), it’s not too far off either.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 am
Yeah, this is basically what I thought I was saying. As for Charlie Day he's been on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia for quite a few years and he was in Pacific Rim and Horrible Bosses.
I saw Pacific Rim but I don't remember him. I can sort of extrapolate, having seen this, which of the characters from Always Sunny he is, but again, just not something I enjoy so I haven't watched it really to have any sense of him being anything other than loud and obnoxious, which is what he was here, so maybe that's just good casting.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 am
Oh yeah. And to stop arguing for a moment, My Man Godfrey is exceptional. William Powell and Carole Lombard are just phenomenal in it. I’m not sure if it’s my favorite screwball comedy (Bringing Up Baby is the likely winner), it’s not too far off either.
Yup.
I don't think I could pick a favorite Screwball, it's one of my favorite genres and I can watch almost anything in it.
Which reminds me (speaking of Powell) in response to the original question, Libeled Lady is another very good one.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 am
Yup.
I don't think I could pick a favorite Screwball, it's one of my favorite genres and I can watch almost anything in it.
Which reminds me (speaking of Powell) in response to the original question, Libeled Lady is another very good one.
I own both the Awful Truth and Libeled Lady but haven’t watched them yet. Currently marathoning westerns, neo-westerns and chase films for a project. Maybe I’ll try and do a screwball homage after and binge everything I’ve got back logged. Got Hepburn’s most famous pretty well covered but outside of her output, I could stand to explore a lot more.

She’s queen screwball and Grant is king, as far as I can tell (though Powell is nipping at his heels).
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 am
I do not. I watched Always Sunny once or twice. Not quite my tempo. Almost exactly the kind of humor I cannot enjoy. It is what it is. Didn't know he was in it.
I haven't heard of the two things you're talking about with regard to Brown. And I didn't see The Predator cause I just didn't think it would be any good.
I think I'd put it right about on par with Smokin' Aces, which just tried too hard without having the any of the goods, but I gave it a sort of a pass based on the same easy-going nature I'm applying here to HA.

replican

Post by replican » Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 am

Charlie Day is the only thing that doesn't suck in I Love You, Daddy.

A must see for all you Woody fans.

I keed I keed
replican

Post by replican » Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 am
I own both the Awful Truth and Libeled Lady but haven’t watched them yet. Currently marathoning westerns, neo-westerns and chase films for a project. Maybe I’ll try and do a screwball homage after and binge everything I’ve got back logged. Got Hepburn’s most famous pretty well covered but outside of her output, I could stand to explore a lot more.

She’s queen screwball and Grant is king, as far as I can tell (though Powell is nipping at his heels).
Hepburn screwball?

I've seen maybe five or so of her films. Always struck me as the straight man. Unless that's what you mean in terms of executing that role in screwball situations.

I've randomly watched several of her films in the past couple months. Such a strong screen presence. Not in the hamming it up sense. Her acting is effortless. I haven't read up any analysis of her contribution to acting but I get the sense that when she came along her style was quite unique. Her peculiar speech tick aside, she had a calm yet commanding delivery. Stereotyping here, but she speaks in slower than normal tempo of the time and doesn't come off as too manic or shrill.

I can't quite see her disappearing into roles.

Just some random K Hep observations.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu May 21, 2020 4:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 am
Also, Sterling K. Brown KILLS it in American Crime Story and Waves. He’s even enjoyable in the unmitigated train wreck that is The Predator.
Don't forget about Black Panther:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am

replican wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 am
Hepburn screwball?

I've seen maybe five or so of her films. Always struck me as the straight man. Unless that's what you mean in terms of executing that role in screwball situations.

I've randomly watched several of her films in the past couple months. Such a strong screen presence. Not in the hamming it up sense. Her acting is effortless. I haven't read up any analysis of her contribution to acting but I get the sense that when she came along her style was quite unique. Her peculiar speech tick aside, she had a calm yet commanding delivery. Stereotyping here, but she speaks in slower than normal tempo of the time and doesn't come off as too manic or shrill.

I can't quite see her disappearing into roles.

Just some random K Hep observations.
What Hepburn films have you seen? Almost everything she made with Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant fall into that category. Bringing Up Baby, Adam’s Rib, Woman of the Year, the Philadelphia Story to name of her most popular screwball films.

When you juxtapose those with her more serious dramatic roles, like Morning Glory, Stage Door, Summertime, the African Queen or even Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and her talent and versatility is astounding and causes me to disagree with virtually everything you’ve said.

It’s akin to basing Grant’s comedic ability off of Notorious.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 am

Stu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:48 am
Under-using Brown is among the biggest offenses the MCU has pulled and I say that as a huge fan.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 am

replican wrote:
Hepburn screwball?

Have you seen Bringing Up Baby?
Might be the most famous Screwball Comedy there is and Cary Grant is the straight-man to Hepburn's... explosion.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 5:13 am

Stu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:48 am
Ya know, I saw (since my post) that he was that guy in BP that I thought was really great in a small role.
replican

Post by replican » Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 am

Have not seen Bringing Up Baby.

Need to re-watch Philadelphia Story first. Isn't there a really precocious kid in that movie? For some reason that stands out.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 am
Have you seen Bringing Up Baby?
Might be the most famous Screwball Comedy there is and Cary Grant is the straight-man to Hepburn's... explosion.
I wouldn’t even call Grant the straight man. He’s so goofy and nebbish but the movie forces him into the straight man by proxy role because of how, well, explosive Hepburn is. Such a blast that film is.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am

I think this was my first exposure to Sterling K. Brown. Insta-fan.

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu May 21, 2020 6:29 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm
Those were all long-fuse accidents. None of them required significant physical exertion, just planning and some sense of engineering, and we know that this character has nothing but time on his hands. (He makes a bomb, lights a fire, and fucks with a train engine; he's not Danny Ocean, and the mundanity of his villainy is highlighted when he steps out of the train and the only resistance is an engineer limply saying "You shouldn't be in there.") I don't see how this breaks internal logic at all.

The on-screen text at the end is not a "way out" of the information of the prior reveal, it's there to close the story as efficiently as possible after its final emotional hit. The cards tell us that David leads cops to the location, and that Elijah was taken to an asylum. The former doesn't give David interesting dramatic choices (as we know at this point he wouldn't keep the information to himself), and the latter doesn't give Elijah interesting drama (because any satisfaction he would feel at the poetry of an asylum stay is already being tangibly felt and visible in this final scene). They're cleanup. I'd agree they're not the most graceful presentation of information, but I think they're preferable to the alternative, which would've almost certainly been anticlimactic and redundant.
The twist isn't quite a 100%, head-on-collision with the film's own, previously-established logic, but it doesn't have to be in order to somewhat undermine its effectiveness; I mean,
the various acts of sabotage that Mr. Glass was committing may not seem as physically taxing as him trying to chase the guy down a flight of stairs, at least not at first glance, but their likelihood of success still rely on how quickly he's able to single-handedly enter, work in, and escape undetected from areas he's not authorized to be, something that's obviously significantly impaired by his limited speed/mobility. And, besides his physical handicap, the twist is further undermined by the implausibility of a suspicious, limping man wearing incredibly sinister black gloves, a very bright, distinctive purple trenchcoat and all-glass cane, and with a lopsided, Gumby-style haircut, apparently being able to commit dozens of these inevitably investigated acts apparently without anyone remembering him being there (not even the guy in the bar who he personally questioned about the secret of the hotel's vulnerability to fire on its first couple of floors, where Mr. Glass presumably set it later on), with some of them taking place in large, public buildings and transportation hubs, which, pre-9/11 or not, I'd have to imagine by the year 2000 would at least have some level of security/cameras monitoring them, so lack of fancy modern face-identifying algorithms or not, all you'd really need to do would be to just rewind the footage at the station, where you'd immediately notice Mr. Glass walking into the conductor's compartment just before it departed (that is, if the footage of him at the airport completely ignoring the explosion didn't raise enough red flags in the first place).

The problem with the twist isn't a lack of emotional motivation, as it makes perfect sense for Glass to be so obsessed with finding the person who's the perfect "mirror image" of his frailty to be committing these atrocities, it's the blatant logistical problems that make it super-iffy. And there are ways to make this specific twist work; you could either have Mr. Glass be protected from detection by the same mysterious cosmic force that created David, ala the forces in God in Frailty (which is not a possibility that M. Knight even hinted at in the actual film), or, If you're going to have him be a super-genius villain, then don't just have him rely on pure dumb luck to be able to get away with everything, actually have him come up with some ingenious ways to avoid detection; it wouldn't have been that hard to come up with some solutions (like him figuring out ways to hack into security systems and delete their footage, for instance). But, as it is, it feels like the twist prioritized shock value too much over plausibility, and felt somewhat rushed in to repeat the lightning-in-a-bottle success of Knight's previous film, one which explained its twist much better, even though, again, I still think Unbreakable is a very good film despite the somewhat shoehorned twist; it’s just that, a little more work, and it would've gone down much easier, IMO.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 am
Under-using Brown is among the biggest offenses the MCU has pulled and I say that as a huge fan.
I think his role in BP was actually surprisingly comparable to Mahershala's in Moonlight, of all things, in the sense that, while neither actor was in either film a ton, they both still made a large impression disproportionate to their actual amount of screentime, particularly in the way that Sterling's absence in Panther left such a big, emotional void in Killmonger, one that he tried to play tough in order to cover up, but which still bleed through in the end, when he couldn't help but regress back to childhood (and the time/place where he lost his father, the one that he's been trapped in mentally ever since) in his vision of Wakandan heaven. Plus, Sterling also had this great scene below, which is the first reference to systematic racial inequality I've ever seen in not just an MCU movie, but in any major Superhero movie, period:

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 7:28 am

Stu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 am
I think his role in BP was actually surprisingly comparable to Mahershala's in Moonlight, of all things, in the sense that, while neither actor was in either film a ton, they both still made a large impression disproportionate to their actual amount of screentime, particularly in the way that Sterling's absence in Panther left such a big, emotional void in Killmonger, one that he tried to play tough in order to cover up, but which still bleed through in the end, when he couldn't help but regress back to childhood (and the moment where he lost his father, the one that he's been trapped in mentally ever since) in his vision of Wakandan heaven. Plus, Sterling also had this great scene below, which is the first reference to systematic racial inequality I've ever seen in not just an MCU movie, but in any major Superhero movie, period:

It’s not under-using him in that he’s used poorly. It’s that unlike Moonlight, Black Panther will not be a simple one and done film. It’s going to have sequels and feed into the greater universe and they used an actor of his caliber for ultimately 2 scenes. I feel similarly about how Mads Mikkelson was used in Doctor Strange. He’s a strong enough villain but someone like him should be reserved for Dr. Doom, recurring level baddies.

On a completely separate note, I feel like I wasn’t prepared for how gobsmackingly awesome Milius’ DILLINGER is? It felt as though he were channeling Peckinpah in his ultra violent, masculine deconstruction of the public enemies. I loved just about everything about it.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

replican wrote:
Hepburn screwball?
Stereotyping here, but she speaks in slower than normal tempo of the time and doesn't come off as too manic or shrill.
I know many people who dislike Bringing Up Baby BECAUSE she's too manic and shrill. Those people are wrong, but she can definitely do screwball, is my point.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Ganesh wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:14 am

10/10
there was a moment when Doug Collins is recounting coaching his first game with the Bulls and the stress and the pressure of the final minutes and at a moment when all hope seemed lost, Michael came in with a cup of water and promised him that he wouldn't let Doug lose his first game (and they didn't). and I was instantly reminded of the scene in Ben-Hur when Jesus gives Charlton Heston the water. poetic cinema!