Highlander II: The Quickening
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
Ultraviolet
Skyline
Snatched
Striptease
The Island of Dr. Moreau

(and significant parts of Jason X, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, Halloween: Resurrection and Jaws 3-D)
The Nameless Two

Re: Recently Seen

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 am

Street Fighter has one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard so maybe that one
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:15 am

There are a handful on the bottom 100 that I would actually defend (Captain America, Batman & Robin, and Exorcist 2) and there are a bunch that aren't nearly the dregs of cinema they are supposed to be but there are two in there that I tried to watch (with friends I watch bad movies with) and couldn't bear to finish: Emoji Movie and Holmes and Watson. There's nothing even fascinatingly bad about them. They're just empty, soulless, witless films devoid of any artistic and accidental value. They have fewer laughs than Date Movie and Scary Movie 5.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:18 am

Yeah, two people I think people don't quite understand the humor of are Roland Emmerich and Joel Schumacher. THey are fucking hilarious
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:20 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Hm... let's see here...

Jaws 3-D - I love this movie and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Dungeons & Dragons - I know a dozen Dungeon Masters who could have adapted their own campaigns and made a better movie than this. Myself included.
We are of one mind on both of these statements.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:28 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 am
Street Fighter has one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard so maybe that one
Tuesday.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 am

Can you even believe I saw Dungeons and Dragons... on VHS at some point down the line, who knows, but it was profoundly awful. Like, you think the Phantom Menace is troubling, now this is podracing!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 am

Charles wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 am
You didn't find Feardotcom misanthropic or reprehensible?
It's been a long-ass time (probably since it came out), but my memory is that it didn't have a thought in its head. Could definitely be more shit than I remember.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 am

Now
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 am

Even though 99% of The Man From Earth is teachers having a going away party in a living room, it's one of best and most thought-provoking science fiction movies I've ever seen. Departing teacher John Oldman's fascinating tale touches upon several studies from art to religion and it made me wonder if some facts I've learned in my life are just stories and vice versa. It also makes the movie a worthy companion piece to two of my other favorite science fiction movies, La Jetee and its counterpart 12 Monkeys, for how well it shows how people might react to someone who claims they've done things found only in myths and legends. The script is the last work of Jerome Bixby, who penned a few Star Trek episodes, and this is not the only reason it would appeal to Trekkies. Besides Trek vets Tony Todd, John Billingsley and Richard Riehle playing some of John's coworkers and Todd's character actually mentioning Star Trek, it's no coincidence that the shooting location is one frequently used during away missions or that the professors drink a very particular color of Johnnie Walker. With that said, movie lovers looking for a truly cinematic experience may be disappointed. It's shot on digital video, which shows its limitations during the night scenes, and besides a few clever shots here and there, it's as ordinary looking as the typical sitcom. There were actually times when I thought the movie would work as well, if not better, as a play. Even so, it's a testament to how much a good story not only elevates all of the other components of a movie, but also an occasion like a going away party.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 am

I tried to make it, you know. There are some realities I can accept and some I cannot. I haven't had my own birthday party in years now aside from one kinda weird equation

Podracing

Treats!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 pm

The Kid - 9/10 - Charlie Chaplin's first feature length film. It's around 53 minutes but I suppose back in the silent days that was considered long. Chaplin was not only the star but producer, director, editor and was also responsible for the film score. Jackie Coogan costars and the two manage to breathe life into what could have been a strictly superficial enterprise. The extended dream sequence was a good touch on Chaplin's part and the whole thing is breezy and exuberant and just flies by.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 am
Even though 99% of The Man From Earth is teachers having a going away party in a living room, it's one of best and most thought-provoking science fiction movies I've ever seen. Departing teacher John Oldman's fascinating tale touches upon several studies from art to religion and it made me wonder if some facts I've learned in my life are just stories and vice versa. It also makes the movie a worthy companion piece to two of my other favorite science fiction movies, La Jetee and its counterpart 12 Monkeys, for how well it shows how people might react to someone who claims they've done things found only in myths and legends. The script is the last work of Jerome Bixby, who penned a few Star Trek episodes, and this is not the only reason it would appeal to Trekkies. Besides Trek vets Tony Todd, John Billingsley and Richard Riehle playing some of John's coworkers and Todd's character actually mentioning Star Trek, it's no coincidence that the shooting location is one frequently used during away missions or that the professors drink a very particular color of Johnnie Walker. With that said, movie lovers looking for a truly cinematic experience may be disappointed. It's shot on digital video, which shows its limitations during the night scenes, and besides a few clever shots here and there, it's as ordinary looking as the typical sitcom. There were actually times when I thought the movie would work as well, if not better, as a play. Even so, it's a testament to how much a good story not only elevates all of the other components of a movie, but also an occasion like a going away party.
Yeah, the movie's just jam-packed with intriguing ideas. My dad's favorite is the bit where John
runs into someone who might be immortal like him.
I think my favorite touch is
that John finds the fire soothing.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:33 pm
Yeah, the movie's just jam-packed with intriguing ideas. My dad's favorite is the bit where John
runs into someone who might be immortal like him.
I think my favorite touch is
that John finds the fire soothing.
Good stuff indeed, and thanks for making me realize what a good movie this would be to watch with your dad. However, my dad is more religious than me, so it'd probably cause awkwardness. I also like
how John never shows his hand. While the ending implies that his story was true and that he is Dr. Gruber's father, couldn't he have made that up too?
Apparently, the sequel, The Man From Earth: Holocene, is terrible. It's not surprising since it doesn't really need a sequel.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 am

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell - 8/10 - This was the last Frankenstein movie from Hammer studios. Director Terence Fisher came out of semi-retirement to helm this, his 29th Hammer film, and the last movie he ever directed before dying in 1980. Peter Cushing stars and acquits himself wonderfully turning in his usual thoroughly professional performance. He even works in some physicality, looking remarkably spry for a 61 year old. The plot doesn't bother rehashing previous installments and takes place in an insane asylum where the Baron has blackmailed the director into giving him free rein, A young doctor has been caught conducting the same gruesome experiments as Frankenstein and has been sentenced to the asylum. The Baron takes him on as an assistant and they get to work transferring the brain of an inmate into the body of a recently deceased one. This might be the most egregious part of the movie. The "Monster from Hell" is actually future Darth Vader David Prowse in what some might consider an implausible rubber suit. Even though he resembles an albino gorilla it's not a total buzzkill by any means. The film is left open ended with Frankenstein none the worse for wear and still plotting his next "operation". But I guess the studio thought differently. Check this one off my Hammer wishlist.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:53 pm

The Big Boss is Bruce Lee's first major movie and the first one I've watched. While I was impressed with Lee's charisma and athleticism and now understand why he became an international superstar, I found the movie to be just pretty good. I like how the movie does not involve Cheng Chao-on in any fighting right off the bat. Besides building anticipation, the delay goes along with the character's and Lee's philosophy that fighting should be a last resort. Also, while Lee's screen presence and martial arts abilities are legendary, this movie proves he was also a fine actor. I was especially impressed with how he conveyed his struggle to resist the company's attempts to seduce him with drink, women and good food. The jazzy score is also a highlight, and while I found it as cool as audiences likely did in 1971, it's a shame that such music would likely be considered ironic or tongue in cheek if it were in a modern action movie. With that said, complaining about the story in movies like this one is as needless as complaining about mosquitos ruining picnics, especially since their main purpose is to set up the good stuff. Even so, while the story goes farther than I expected here and there, it's predictable to a fault. Not to mention, while the fights involving Cheng Chao-on are exciting and suspenseful, the fight scenes in general have so many players and lack focus that they come across like free-for-alls. Again, despite being rough around the edges, I enjoyed the movie overall, and best of all, it sold me on the legend of Bruce Lee enough to make me hungry for more.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Wei Lo is a talented martial arts director. Bruce Lee is a talented martial artist. For some reason, their early collaborations seemed to knee cap both their talents, as Lo is best when his action is over the top and vibrant while Lee wanted to keep his action more grounded and aggressive.

Fist of Fury is a big leap up from Big Boss but isn’t as good as Way of the Dragon or Enter the Dragon.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Ah, MKS, you can teach the construct of martial arts cinema as a master would. I've been having a hard time with my "mainstays" as of late, as if I'm trying to free myself from looping patterns. I need some fresh entertainment, a fresh set of eyes. Do you happen to have a list or something on this site composed of favorites?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Ah, MKS, you can teach the construct of martial arts cinema as a master would. I've been having a hard time with my "mainstays" as of late, as if I'm trying to free myself from looping patterns. I need some fresh entertainment, a fresh set of eyes. Do you happen to have a list or something on this site composed of favorites?
I can toss out some favorites on here if ya want some. Do you have Prime? They’re often dubbed but they have the best transfers I’ve seen.

I should do a list of martial arts flicks on Letterboxd though.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 pm
I can toss out some favorites on here if ya want some. Do you have Prime? They’re often dubbed but they have the best transfers I’ve seen.

I should do a list of martial arts flicks on Letterboxd though.
I've got about half a month's worth of prime so good enough, just fingers crossed that your suggestions are available in Canada. Would love some when you feel up to it!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm
I've got about half a month's worth of prime so good enough, just fingers crossed that your suggestions are available in Canada. Would love some when you feel up to it!
I’ll start you off with some classic Shaw bros. The two big directors everyone has to look into are Chang Cheh and Lau Kar Leung.

Chang:

The Magnificent Trio (remake of 3 Outlaw Samurai)
One-Armed Swordsman
The Heroic Ones
Crippled Avengers
5 Deadly Venoms

Lau:

8 Diagram Polefighter
36th Chamber of Shaolin
Executioner from Shaolin
My Young Auntie
Heroes of the East

A solid but tentative top 5 from each. They’re both linked as Chang was Shaw’s premier director and Lau was his action choreographer until Lau became a director in his own right. Lau is often more comedic than Chang who became more misanthropic and violent, especially after adopting the Venom mob as his choreographers and stars.

I think it’s hard to go wrong with either of them though so if something from them is available, you’re in for a colorful, melodramatic, violent and extremely, acrobatically impressive good time.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Well slap my ass and call me Sally, that's a damn fine presentation, thank you. Thankfully I have heard of the majority of the constructs, I'm loving the Wu-Tang as of late (read: always and forever)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 pm
Well slap my ass and call me Sally, that's a damn fine presentation, thank you. Thankfully I have heard of the majority of the constructs, I'm loving the Wu-Tang as of late (read: always and forever)
That’s a huge benefit of watching dubbed kung fu flicks. It’s all “ahhh, so that’s where RZA got that sample for Severe Punishment!” It’s from The Master (1980).

That epiphany always puts me in a good mood.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 pm
That’s a huge benefit of watching dubbed kung fu flicks. It’s all “ahhh, so that’s where RZA got that sample for Severe Punishment!” It’s from The Master (1980).

That epiphany always puts me in a good mood.
*nods* sample digging is one of my joys in life. The Wu-Tang is so clever for figuring out a source which is largely free of legal confines. I'm sure that patents and licences and whatnot have been tightened up but old VHS tapes and whatnot are ripe for digging into to. We have so many ways of extracting the honey out of these hives
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Nice, Amazon Prime ain't so bad it seems. I'm impressed that I even found one of these in Canada. Thank you
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 pm
*nods* sample digging is one of my joys in life. The Wu-Tang is so clever for figuring out a source which is largely free of legal confines. I'm sure that patents and licences and whatnot have been tightened up but old VHS tapes and whatnot are ripe for digging into to. We have so many ways of extracting the honey out of these hives
RZA’s production for those early Wu albums is my favorite hip hop production, period. The blending of kung fu samples, film scores and just the rawest, dirtiest beats has an atmosphere I have not seen matched in the genre. There are definitely more complex and adept producers out there and I’m not crazy about his over produced output as late (he can still make a banger when he wants to) but that early Wu hits my ear drums like a truck.

Him being behind Enter the Wu, Forever, Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx and Return to the 36 Chambers within the span of a couple years is an all time artistic run regardless of genre or medium.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm
Wei Lo is a talented martial arts director. Bruce Lee is a talented martial artist. For some reason, their early collaborations seemed to knee cap both their talents, as Lo is best when his action is over the top and vibrant while Lee wanted to keep his action more grounded and aggressive.

Fist of Fury is a big leap up from Big Boss but isn’t as good as Way of the Dragon or Enter the Dragon.
Good to know that his movies get better and better.
Should I even bother with Game of Death? I'm intrigued by Kareem Abdul-Jabar and the iconic yellow tracksuit, but the low ratings and the fact that Letterboxd doesn't even list Lee as an actor in it (which may be a bug, who knows) makes me skeptical.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 pm
Good to know that his movies get better and better.
Should I even bother with Game of Death? I'm intrigued by Kareem Abdul-Jabar and the iconic yellow tracksuit, but the low ratings and the fact that Letterboxd doesn't even list Lee as an actor in it (which may be a bug, who knows) makes me skeptical.
It’s worth seeing for the actual footage Lee had made (the current Criterion release will apparently contain a new version that’s just what Lee shot) but the movie itself is one of the most offensive, tasteless and exploitative pieces of shit ever made.

Game of Death 2, however, is a hysterical and weird blast.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:09 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 pm
Game of Death 2, however, is a hysterical and weird blast.
It's also apparently included in the Criterion set, as it should be.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:12 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:09 pm
It's also apparently included in the Criterion set, as it should be.
I was most excited to see it listed as a special feature. It deserves a full on release and respect with a spine number but I’ll take it. Killer peacocks for life.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:12 pm
I was most excited to see it listed as a special feature. It deserves a full on release and respect with a spine number but I’ll take it. Killer peacocks for life.
I liked the lion suit. :)
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 am
I liked the lion suit. :)
I like everything but the funeral footage.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:47 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 am
I like everything but the funeral footage.
Would you like the funeral footage if he was in a lion suit?
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:47 am
Would you like the funeral footage if he was in a lion suit?
I’m gonna put myself out there and show off my vulnerability and say, without a doubt...

Yes.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 am
I’m gonna put myself out there and show off my vulnerability and say, without a doubt...

Yes.
Btw, what's your experience with Bruceploitation?
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:52 am
Btw, what's your experience with Bruceploitation?
I haven’t delved much into it. Seen clips here and there but given my distaste for GoD, I’ve generally avoided it.

I feel like I’ll probably go off the deep end just to clear up a blind spot (the one where he meets Zatoichi and Dracula has been on my radar forever) but I’m not rushing out to it
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:18 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 am
I haven’t delved much into it. Seen clips here and there but given my distaste for GoD, I’ve generally avoided it.

I feel like I’ll probably go off the deep end just to clear up a blind spot (the one where he meets Zatoichi and Dracula has been on my radar forever) but I’m not rushing out to it
My experience is pretty limited but I had a good time with Challenge of the Tiger starring and written by Bruce Le, who gives his visibly drunk co-star a whole bunch of sex scenes (including one with the actress who played Conan the Barbarian's mother) but gives none to himself. There's no funeral footage, the production values are decent and it doesn't even play up the Bruce Lee angle that much. It's just a fun, trashy (in a good way) kung fu movie. (The others I've seen are Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth, which is dumb and mostly reverential until the end when it whips out the funeral footage and makes a hilariously specific prediction about Bruce Lee coming back from the grave, and The Clones of Bruce Lee, which is just really bland and shoddy and not nearly as fun as its concept suggests.)

The one you're referring to I think is he Dragon Lives Again, which I'm interested in. (Apparently he also meets James Bond, Clint Eastwood and Emmanuelle, and teams up with Popeye!) I also heard The Chinese Stuntman is an actual quality movie, so I want to see that one too.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:25 am

That’s the one! And lest we not forget the Bruce Le cameo in Pieces. The most organic and reasonable of cameos that was filled with a profound impact on the narrative and characters.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:01 am

I got a new Blu-Ray player yesterday and tested it out with the creation sequence from The Tree of Life and the Leatherback/Otachi fight from Pacific Rim, and it's like...

movies are really fuckin' cool.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:01 am
I got a new Blu-Ray player yesterday and tested it out with the creation sequence from The Tree of Life and the Leatherback/Otachi fight from Pacific Rim, and it's like...

movies are really fuckin' cool.
Criterion ToL or regular Blu?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:08 am

Discussing Tree of Life is a pretty sure-fire way to summon me.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:24 am

Yeah, and it's cheesy ending with the masks and such, what a downer from a genuinely impressive film. Let's just strap a eyes wide shut mask on Sean Penn's face and call it deep. Okaaaaaay, Malick
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:25 am
That’s the one! And lest we not forget the Bruce Le cameo in Pieces. The most organic and reasonable of cameos that was filled with a profound impact on the narrative and characters.
Forgot about the Bruce Le cameo, probably because I was distracted by Ian "It stinks!" Sera hanging dong.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 am
Criterion ToL or regular Blu?
Regular.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:12 am

Also picked up Unbreakable on Blu and rewatching. I love so much about how this flick operates. The first two conversations with David and Audrey both take place with a doorway between them (which adds a feeling of separation by literally placing walls between them). But while the first one intercuts them with shot/reverse to keep them from sharing the frame, the second is a sustained take with them both in the frame, over David's shoulder, because it's our first emotional moment with Audrey (which Robin Wright does a great job with).

Just good fucking filmmaking.
NOTE:
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:55 am

Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary - 8/10 - This was made to coincide with the 20th anniversary of GQ's release. It features interviews with most of the major players and also utilizes some of the harder core fans of the movie. It shows them cosplaying and attending numerous festivals. Maybe it's my own love for the movie coloring my perception but they don't come off as oddballs or fringe dwellers. They're just regular folks who happen to love the movie. There are a few revealing tidbits sprinkled throughout like how much the participation of then the exit of Harold Ramis affected the production. There are plenty of anecdotes but the thing that stuck with me was the level of affection most everyone had towards the movie and the experience of creating it. Maybe it was geared towards that exact response but like I said, my bias allows for a lot of leeway. Then again my favorite parts turned out to be old clips of the film. So if you're a fan you should watch it. But if not then skip it and watch or rewatch the movie instead.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 am
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell - 8/10 - This was the last Frankenstein movie from Hammer studios. Director Terence Fisher came out of semi-retirement to helm this, his 29th Hammer film, and the last movie he ever directed before dying in 1980. Peter Cushing stars and acquits himself wonderfully turning in his usual thoroughly professional performance. He even works in some physicality, looking remarkably spry for a 61 year old. The plot doesn't bother rehashing previous installments and takes place in an insane asylum where the Baron has blackmailed the director into giving him free rein, A young doctor has been caught conducting the same gruesome experiments as Frankenstein and has been sentenced to the asylum. The Baron takes him on as an assistant and they get to work transferring the brain of an inmate into the body of a recently deceased one. This might be the most egregious part of the movie. The "Monster from Hell" is actually future Darth Vader David Prowse in what some might consider an implausible rubber suit. Even though he resembles an albino gorilla it's not a total buzzkill by any means. The film is left open ended with Frankenstein none the worse for wear and still plotting his next "operation". But I guess the studio thought differently. Check this one off my Hammer wishlist.
The only (English language) Frankenstein movie (that I'm aware of) that I haven't seen (I'm a huge fan of Frankenstein movies).
I never saw it cause it just sounded ridiculous to me. I need to fix that. October is coming.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:37 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:12 am
Also picked up Unbreakable on Blu and rewatching. I love so much about how this flick operates. The first two conversations with David and Audrey both take place with a doorway between them (which adds a feeling of separation by literally placing walls between them). But while the first one intercuts them with shot/reverse to keep them from sharing the frame, the second is a sustained take with them both in the frame, over David's shoulder, because it's our first emotional moment with Audrey (which Robin Wright does a great job with).

Just good fucking filmmaking.
It really is. I hope he recovers from Glass.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 pm
The only (English language) Frankenstein movie (that I'm aware of) that I haven't seen (I'm a huge fan of Frankenstein movies).
I never saw it cause it just sounded ridiculous to me. I need to fix that. October is coming.
Oh yes, it's definitely worth watching. Especially for someone who's an aficionado. And granted, it's not one of the stronger Hammer entries, but it hits the proper notes with the trademark cinematography and Cushing's usual level of commitment chief among them.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell is good enough, it just feels lackluster after the perfect franchise ending of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

Stunt Squad is a cool poliziotteschi flick with some solid chases, shocking violence and a better than average villain, who dresses quite a bit like Gosling in Drive. Not the best in the genre but not too far off either.

Also, digging into lesser Ridley Scott flicks:

Black Rain- Evocative of Samuel Fuller’s Asian tinged noir and Year of the Dragon, it’s just good enough to justify its bloated length. It has some white savior subtext but one gets the sense that narrative wasn’t on Scott’s mind that much and he wanted to tap into that Blade Runner style.

All the Money in the World- Plummer and Williams are excellent and the narrative is solid. Scott isn’t firing on all cylinders but I find some cylinder Scott more interesting looking than most modern filmmakers.