Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:27 pm
What exactly did Carruth do?
His ex accused him of mentally, emotionally, and physically abusing her for many years, causing her to file a restraining order against him.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/shan ... 234717339/
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 pm
His ex accused him of mentally, emotionally, and physically abusing her for many years, causing her to file a restraining order against him.

Not just “his ex.” Amy Seimetz. Who is arguably the bigger name, has seen more projects to fruition, and worked on much higher profile things. It’s odd how often she is relegated to simply an extension of him in this case. Nothing personal, but it’s a trend I’ve seen in discussing this case.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 pm

Well, we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions. Two sides to every story, right?

And we can still enjoy his work even if he turns out to be monster.

And Primer is just too damned complicated and I don't care how many YouTube videos there are explaining it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 pm
Not just “his ex.” Amy Seimetz. Who is arguably the bigger name, has seen more projects to fruition, and worked on much higher profile things. It’s odd how often she is relegated to simply an extension of him in this case. Nothing personal, but it’s a trend I’ve seen in discussing this case.
Thanks for the correction.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:18 am

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:59 pm
Well, we have to be careful not to jump to conclusions. Two sides to every story, right?

And we can still enjoy his work even if he turns out to be monster.

And Primer is just too damned complicated and I don't care how many YouTube videos there are explaining it.
Him being shitty will just become a piece of context for his work in my eyes. That said, his purposely tweeting the restraining order while posting memorabilia relating to the movie they made together is a pretty damn high-waving red flag to me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:21 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:04 am
Thanks for the correction.
No probs, amigo. I’m just a Seimetz fan and have found the way the media minimizing her in her own story to be frustrating. She’s been IN 77 projects and produced 9 with her theatrical directing debut coming this year (she’s done episodes of Atlanta and other TV before).

Carruth did two movies, produced a few more and acted in a few more than that. I think he maxes at 9 credits total.

I think it should more likely read Seimetz files abuse case on her ex, if anything.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:21 am
No probs, amigo. I’m just a Seimetz fan and have found the way the media minimizing her in her own story to be frustrating. She’s been IN 77 projects and produced 9 with her theatrical directing debut coming this year (she’s done episodes of Atlanta and other TV before).

Carruth did two movies, produced a few more and acted in a few more than that. I think he maxes at 9 credits total.

I think it should more likely read Seimetz files abuse case on her ex, if anything.
Sorry if my post came off that way as that wasn't my intention. Probably should've worded my post better.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:27 am

Oh yeah, Popcorn, no worries, that's not an issue with you, that's more an issue with a fairly crappy online press.

(I know it's a distinct situation, but I feel there's a parallel with how so much online press contextualizes the new Candyman as Jordan Peele's Candyman. Come on, gang.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:28 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:18 am
Him being shitty will just become a piece of context for his work in my eyes. That said, his purposely tweeting the restraining order while posting memorabilia relating to the movie they made together is a pretty damn high-waving red flag to me.
if what she is saying is true, he sounds like a psycho.

If he goofed with that image, that is quite a goof. You have to suspect that a director is sensitive to what is in the frame, so yeah, sounds like psycho.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:34 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:24 am
Sorry if my post came off that way as that wasn't my intention. Probably should've worded my post better.
You’re good. As DaMU said, I’m just venting about a media problem that your post reminded me of. It was VERY prevalent when the news broke.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:35 am

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:28 am
if what she is saying is true, he sounds like a psycho.

If he goofed with that image, that is quite a goof. You have to suspect that a director is sensitive to what is in the frame, so yeah, sounds like psycho.
Yeah. I wait until there is a preponderance of evidence or a guilty verdict before I expound any passion about condemning the accused but that picture felt like confirmation of her accusations. Not a good sign at all.

If that was an accident, he’s a lot dumber than his films imply.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:37 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:27 am
Oh yeah, Popcorn, no worries, that's not an issue with you, that's more an issue with a fairly crappy online press.

(I know it's a distinct situation, but I feel there's a parallel with how so much online press contextualizes the new Candyman as Jordan Peele's Candyman. Come on, gang.)

Speaking of Candyman, has anyone else checked out Nia DeCosta’s Little Woods? I thought it was rather great. Very “Winter’s Bone” but more sociologically ambitious.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:37 am
Speaking of Candyman, has anyone else checked out Nia DeCosta’s Little Woods? I thought it was rather great. Very “Winter’s Bone” but more sociologically ambitious.
!!!

It's on my Kanopy!
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:48 am

Not about Shane in particular, but in general, goddamn, nothing ruins more movies than learning about movies.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:53 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:16 am
!!!

It's on my Kanopy!
If you like an atmospheric, rural slow-burn about the seedy underbelly of decaying towns with strong female leads (exactly my bag), then check it ASAP.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 am

Charles wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:48 am
Not about Shane in particular, but in general, goddamn, nothing ruins more movies than learning about movies.
I think about it this way: If I see the Great Pyramids, I can both recognize the grandeur, beauty and demonstration of human ingenuity and also recognize the human suffering that went into the making of them.

I can also recognize that great art (or just great things, period) can come from flawed to terrible people. I think ignoring or pretending like they didn’t happen is wrong but I also think pretending like what they did should be destroyed, ignored, censored is to demand that innovation and artistic expression only come from those deemed “pure” and who deems that?

Much like how Polanski’s rape (among other things in his past) adds a complex context to films like Repulsion and Rosemary’s Baby, so too with Carruth’s possible abuses of Seimetz utterly change the lens in which I watch Primer and especially Upstream Color (which in and of itself is a dissection on how abused folks cope with trauma).

I don’t think it ruins so much as changes.

But I’m probably a bad person so if you wanna reject it, reject it.
Evil

Post by Evil » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:02 am

The pyramid builders were actually a well treated workforce according to modern historical/archeological research.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:06 am

I mostly agree, but with the caveat that we all have to make our individual judgments on when artists might cross a crucial ethical boundary. Victor Salva? No-go zone. Hard pass. As the kids say, "straight to jail."
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:15 am

I'm largely on the same page, but if I discover that the artist of a film, book, game, etc. is a bad person, I find this can decrease the likeliness that I'll return to their work. It's often hard for me to appreciate their content without thinking about their shitty actions. Their behavior usually hangs on me, so I prefer to steer clear of their work.

J. K. Rowling is a known TERF and a lot of her transphobia is reflected in her novels, as an example.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:20 am

Evil wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:02 am
The pyramid builders were actually a well treated workforce according to modern historical/archeological research.
Noted. I do think notions of being forced to work by the Pharaoh, regardless of food and not being defined as a slave at that time, would still fall under modern definitions of slavery and other forced labor, likely without particularly safe conditions given the nature of the work.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 pm
I for one am incensed that there are no positive portrayals of Italians in Goodfellas. There should be a scene at the end where Henry stands outside his suburban house and sees James Gandolfini being a loving father, eating ice cream with his kids. He looks at Henry and says “isn’t it great to be a loving supportive father that defies Italian American stereotypes?”

Fin.

"That wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. "

:D
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:15 am
I'm largely on the same page, but if I discover that the artist of a film, book, game, etc. is a bad person, I find this can decrease the likeliness that I'll return to their work. It's often hard for me to appreciate their content without thinking about their shitty actions. Their behavior usually hangs on me, so I prefer to steer clear of their work.

J. K. Rowling is a known TERF and a lot of her transphobia is reflected in her novels, as an example.
Really? I was sad when JKR outed herself as a TERF but even knowing that didn't make me think the novels were transphobic. Which bits?
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 am
I think about it this way: If I see the Great Pyramids, I can both recognize the grandeur, beauty and demonstration of human ingenuity and also recognize the human suffering that went into the making of them.

I can also recognize that great art (or just great things, period) can come from flawed to terrible people. I think ignoring or pretending like they didn’t happen is wrong but I also think pretending like what they did should be destroyed, ignored, censored is to demand that innovation and artistic expression only come from those deemed “pure” and who deems that?

Much like how Polanski’s rape (among other things in his past) adds a complex context to films like Repulsion and Rosemary’s Baby, so too with Carruth’s possible abuses of Seimetz utterly change the lens in which I watch Primer and especially Upstream Color (which in and of itself is a dissection on how abused folks cope with trauma).

I don’t think it ruins so much as changes.

But I’m probably a bad person so if you wanna reject it, reject it.
I don't discard art because of the artist, but it always puts a dent in the enjoyment of the thing. I watch Roman Polanski's big titles, but I'm not gonna follow him as a director, regardless of what I think of his abilities to direct. In his case though, it's the fact that he never saw real consequences. Had he gone to jail for a spell, that'd be different. I'm more open to listening to, say, Varg Vikerne's music because he at least served his sentence. I don't like it, but you know.

I'm very much not into cancelling anyone for less than straight up heinous crimes though. I don't care at all about what Mel Gibson said, for example. I love his style. Or Lovecraft. I don't care about his racism given that, last I heard, he didn't actually do anything about it.

I'll always watch landmark movies, regardless of anything. I did watch Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby, and my opinion of these is not influenced by the guy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:27 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:06 am
I mostly agree, but with the caveat that we all have to make our individual judgments on when artists might cross a crucial ethical boundary. Victor Salva? No-go zone. Hard pass. As the kids say, "straight to jail."
Salva is a weird one for me and he conjures up ideological conflicts within me. First and most obviously: pedophilia terrible. His sexual predation is sickening. His sentence only being 3 years (and serving just over a year) seems very light for what he did.

Two: I feel like punishment in perpetuity stands in the face of Justice. I think so much of our criminal Justice system is rigged in order to punish forever rather than living up to the notion of "time served." Unlike Polanski, who opens up different ethical quandaries (like the voice and value of the victim's viewpoint and ethics of judges), Salva did serve his time... And has apparently not reoffended. Should he be punished in perpetuity or allowed a chance to rehabilitate?

He makes me feel like a hypocrite because my instinct is "fuck him" even though I've rallied against the justice system and politics that want people punished forever, even after "time served."

Then again, I've seen all the Jeepers Creepers films with the knowledge of what he did and it did take on a queasy, but admittedly fascinating subtext of a writer/director dealing with his "appetites."

But yeah. I don't disagree at all with the individual parameters and wouldn't fault anyone for not even wanting to look through that abyss of a lens for what ultimately amounts to a schlocky creature feature.

I hope I expressed that well as that is the kind of discussion where clarity is necessary as to not even sound close to an apologist for the man.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:29 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 am
Really? I was sad when JKR outed herself as a TERF but even knowing that didn't make me think the novels were transphobic. Which bits?
Sorting Hat, yo
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 am

Charles wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 am
I don't discard art because of the artist, but it always puts a dent in the enjoyment of the thing. I watch Roman Polanski's big titles, but I'm not gonna follow him as a director, regardless of what I think of his abilities to direct. In his case though, it's the fact that he never saw real consequences. Had he gone to jail for a spell, that'd be different. I'm more open to listening to, say, Varg Vikerne's music because he at least served his sentence. I don't like it, but you know.

I'm very much not into cancelling anyone for less than straight up heinous crimes though. I don't care at all about what Mel Gibson said, for example. I love his style. Or Lovecraft. I don't care about his racism given that, last I heard, he didn't actually do anything about it.

I'll always watch landmark movies, regardless of anything. I did watch Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby, and my opinion of these is not influenced by the guy.
I have similar feelings about Polanski troubling me as he didn't serve his time (but I also have trouble with disregarding the feelings of his victim as she is tired of being used as a prop for outrage and has for forgiven him).

I wouldn't say I "don't care" about what Gibson has said or what Lovecraft wrote. In fact, I care a great deal and think they are things we should KNOW when partaking in their work. I just don't think they inherently render the work valueless or even lower the quality. One can express heinous ideas beautifully.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:27 am
Two: I feel like punishment in perpetuity stands in the face of Justice. I think so much of our criminal Justice system is rigged in order to punish forever rather than living up to the notion of "time served." Unlike Polanski, who opens up different ethical quandaries (like the voice and value of the victim's viewpoint and ethics of judges), Salva did serve his time... And has apparently not reoffended. Should he be punished in perpetuity or allowed a chance to rehabilitate?
Oh, just to clarify, I'm not against him being rehabilitated or even making movies again one day. I'm just not gonna watch his movies because, like you say, there's an almost confessional quality to them, and I don't like how knowing his past affects my mind and emotions while watching his films.

Completely agree re: rehabilitation, second chances, etc. even for crimes that heinous.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 am
It largely applies to Rita Skeeter and her descriptions in Goblet of Fire, particularly. Arguably, she's a non-passing trans woman. She's often described as having a "heavily jawed face", "mannish hands", and "a surprisingly strong grip". She also transforms her body to spy on children in the novel. These details seem to reveal Rowling's transphobia.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 am

Gibson's Apocalypto is all the more fascinating for how it's an expose of how organized religion bamboozles a decaying empire... coming from the hardline Roman Catholic. Along with being a spectacular, muscular thriller, it's also Gibson accidentally showing his entire ass.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 am
Oh, just to clarify, I'm not against him being rehabilitated or even making movies again one day. I'm just not gonna watch his movies because, like you say, there's an almost confessional quality to them, and I don't like how knowing his past affects my mind and emotions while watching his films.

Completely agree re: rehabilitation, second chances, etc. even for crimes that heinous.
Phew. I was worried I’d expressed that poorly. Saying “give rehabilitation and second changes despite heinous crimes” can often lead to a very strong negative reaction.

The confessional quality of his films is creepy. It’s also just about the only “value” I can find as they aren’t good movies. And I use value in the same way that the Ted Bundy Tapes or the Iceman Confessions are valuable. They let you peer into the mind of someone that’s done something heinous.

But enough about Salva... Let’s talk about how we all look past Coppola producing his films post-prison release! What’s up with that?
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:48 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 am
It largely applies to Rita Skeeter and her descriptions in Goblet of Fire, particularly. Arguably, she's a non-passing trans woman. She's often described as having a "heavily jawed face", "mannish hands", and "a surprisingly strong grip". She also transforms her body to spy on children in the novel. These details seem to reveal Rowling's transphobia.
Ah, interesting, never picked up on that.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 am
Phew. I was worried I’d expressed that poorly. Saying “give rehabilitation and second changes despite heinous crimes” can often lead to a very strong negative reaction.
While I'm all for rehab, I'm not so keen on second chances in the world of art. Like, sorry, you lost your serious art privilege bye Mel Gibson *waves*. There are obviously far more enough examples of decent human beings behind art to waste time with the shitheels
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 am
Gibson's Apocalypto is all the more fascinating for how it's an expose of how organized religion bamboozles a decaying empire... coming from the hardline Roman Catholic. Along with being a spectacular, muscular thriller, it's also Gibson accidentally showing his entire ass.
The thesis Apocalypto seems to propose is that stronger civilizations brutalize and fuck up weaker ones. Given Gibson’s propensity for misanthropy in his works (so Christ-like!) I feel like this was clearly intended.

It makes the claims of this film being pro-colonization rather baffling to me. The dude’s sympathetic protagonist is an Incan fleeing into the jungle with his family after the ominous arrival of a force that will decimate them. If we’re on the protagonist’s side narratively, how is there justification of that reading?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am

Yeah, pretty crazy, Franky.
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:58 am

With all that said, think we can at least all be appalled by how everyone seems to look past Wesley Snipes' tax evasion. How easy it is for him to find roles now is nauseating.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:59 am

The Nameless Two wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:53 am
While I'm all for rehab, I'm not so keen on second chances in the world of art. Like, sorry, you lost your serious art privilege bye Mel Gibson *waves*. There are obviously far more enough examples of decent human beings behind art to waste time with the shitheels
I think people are complex. Sorry to make this personal, but in some of your fits, you’ve told me to kill myself (and some unkind things about my wife). You also create art. I don’t think you should have your music taken away from you nor anyone’s ability to hear it based on those statements, which were likely made at a low point.

I think most people have said or done something shameful at their lowest point that would be grounds to be “cancelled” if put into the media microscope. I think it’s usually more about the dopamine rush of outrage than a reasonable response to the bad things people say/do.

I think the art Gibson makes has greater value in the world than the shitty things he’s said and done.

It’s cool if you don’t. Too much of my life, professionally and personally, has been about trying to grow and help others grow and learn from mistakes to jump to condemnation. Not in my nature.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:59 am
I think people are complex. Sorry to make this personal, but in some of your fits, you’ve told me to kill myself (and some unkind things about my wife). You also create art. I don’t think you should have your music taken away from you nor anyone’s ability to hear it based on those statements, which were likely made at a low point.
Well, you better not because I'm saying this shit in a little bubble and am basically nothing, so why are you comparing me to the people worth more than, fuck, 100k? Jesus Christ
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am
The thesis Apocalypto seems to propose is that stronger civilizations brutalize and fuck up weaker ones. Given Gibson’s propensity for misanthropy in his works (so Christ-like!) I feel like this was clearly intended.

It makes the claims of this film being pro-colonization rather baffling to me. The dude’s sympathetic protagonist is an Incan fleeing into the jungle with his family after the ominous arrival of a force that will decimate them. If we’re on the protagonist’s side narratively, how is there justification of that reading?
Oh, most definitely. The conquistadors are presented in rain-soaked grays and blues! Heralded by a storm. Not accidental. I just love that the centerpiece of the film (and it radiates from there, since the society seizing Jaguar Paw's people comes from this ideological hub) is a religious blood ritual delivered by lying priests. Did he at any point reflected on his own belief system while crafting those scenes? Have some second thoughts? Even begin to make a connection? The man is an incredibly sharp artist, but the po-faced two-dimensional viciousness of The Passion of the Christ makes me wonder if he's capable of that.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:14 am

The Nameless Two wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:01 am
Well, you better not because I'm saying this shit in a little bubble and am basically nothing, so why are you comparing me to the people worth more than, fuck, 100k? Jesus Christ
It goes to the notion of “what if you do make it?” For instance, there was a pushed to attack and destroy Camilla Cabello (a musical artist I don’t particularly care for, mind you) for stuff she said as a 15 year old, pre-game. Eventually she did make it and these things resurfaced.

Much of the discourse surrounding it sounded fairly draconian and completely shut off from the concept that people can grow up and change.

The principle should should apply to the famous and not just the same as it’s a principle based on humanity.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:15 am

Like, when was the last time I was caught on mic disparaging... anyone? To a national audience? Holy shit get your priorities straight people, the fuck making that argument personal when it's been what, literal centuries in covid time since we've even had a scrap. Making this fucking personal
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:16 am

Know what's personal? Me writing my eulogy which I will speak at my best friend's funeral today. That's my day. You don't fucking know me dude
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:18 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:01 am
Oh, most definitely. The conquistadors are presented in rain-soaked grays and blues! Heralded by a storm. Not accidental. I just love that the centerpiece of the film (and it radiates from there, since the society seizing Jaguar Paw's people comes from this ideological hub) is a religious blood ritual delivered by lying priests. Did he at any point reflected on his own belief system while crafting those scenes? Have some second thoughts? Even begin to make a connection? The man is an incredibly sharp artist, but the po-faced two-dimensional viciousness of The Passion of the Christ makes me wonder if he's capable of that.
Gibson reminds me a lot of the intelligent conservatives I’ve grown up with in Texas. They will articulate complex ideas that directly contradict what they claim to represent and believe, sometimes even seeming to come to the realization about how problematic their beliefs are... Then it’s like someone reboots them with default programming.

Cognitive dissonance is fascinating and a bitch to work around.

Another highly dissonant artist is Siegel (and his protégée Eastwood). Things like Riot in Cell Block 11 and Escape from Alcatraz are seemingly diametrically opposed to Dirty Harry and Coogan’s Bluff. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how the same filmmaker could do both of those things. It seems having conflicting and contradictory ideas is a very, very human trait.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:19 am

The Nameless Two wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:15 am
Like, when was the last time I was caught on mic disparaging... anyone? To a national audience? Holy shit get your priorities straight people, the fuck making that argument personal when it's been what, literal centuries in covid time since we've even had a scrap. Making this fucking personal
I apologize. I’m sorry about your friend and what you’re having to do. I hope you see much better days and soon.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:01 am

The Naked Spur isn’t my favorite Anthony Mann western and despite being a “Western Noir”, it’s ending forces it much more into the Western rather than Noir side of things. That said, it’s still an Anthony Mann western with Jimmy Stewart and it’s certainly of a high quality and very watchable. It plays out like a darker 3:10 to Yuma (figuratively, that films start B&W would’ve probably served this film better than its vibrant color) and ultimately plays out as a rumination on the corruption inherent with placing a bounty on a man’s head.

Janet Leigh and Robert Ryan also turn in admirable performances.

Well worth seeing despite not topping the likes of Winchester 77 or the Man from Laramie.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 am

Great film! I wish it ended about 2 minutes before it does, though. Have you seen Bend of the River, Devil's Doorway, or The Tin Star? Those are all also great. Still need to see The Man from Laramie and The Far Country.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:59 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 am
Great film! I wish it ended about 2 minutes before it does, though. Have you seen Bend of the River, Devil's Doorway, or The Tin Star? Those are all also great. Still need to see The Man from Laramie and The Far Country.
Devil’s Doorway is actually next on my list. I’ve seen BOTR, the Tin Star and TFC. I’m a big fan of them all. Though, I do feel I watched TFC and BOTR too close together as I may have the two sort of mishmashed a bit, so a rewatch is likely in order.

I also realized I typed Winchester ‘77 (the year my new script takes place) rather than ‘73. I’m a fraud!!!
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm

If you're looking at solid westerns that don't get nearly enough hype, another two I'll toss at you are The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Shenandoah.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm
If you're looking at solid westerns that don't get nearly enough hype, another two I'll toss at you are The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Shenandoah.
Love Cable Hogue. I’ve been meaning to check out Shenandoah. Thanks!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:39 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:08 pm
Watching Tenet is like doing a hard sudoku puzzle for 2.5 hours, I guess it's a bit of a brain-teaser but it's also completely pointless. The action setpieces, the VFX, and the music are all great, though.
This is pretty much how I feel about most if not all Nolan films.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:49 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 pm
Time Bandits is the best time travel movie
Without question.