Recently Seen

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Recently Seen

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:08 am
"I am trans" is not an argument. It's not a reason why we should legislate for or against a topic. Sure, let's explore all topics, but be prepared to make your case. There is too much lazy "Well, she's a TERF, so fuck her!" knee-jerking going on here. In interviews I've seen with Rowling, she does not seem to be anti-trans, but rather sees other interests competing with the claims of the trans community. I know that in the present hierarchy of identity politics trans trumps all (the "me too" movement, did allow women to gain on the pack), but if our analyses of these topics is to go beyond the rock-paper-scissors of our identitarian hierarchy, we must fairly consider the interests and claims of other parties. She does not appear to be the monster that some people make her out to be and psychoanalyzing her texts looking for proof of heresy is rather pathetic.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:01 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:55 pm
There's a notorious RT poster from way back called Fabfunk that's in jail for grooming a minor. I was talking about Melvin apparently saying he won't come back though.
Oh, I see. I don't think I remember Fabfunk, but that incident may have happened before I joined.

As for Melvin, he could admittedly be challenging at times, but I did like him as a poster, and I hope he returns.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:59 am
I dunno bipolar induced mania, I have a lot of boxes checked regarding mental illness and you aren't clean from picking at what I cannot help mr Holier than thou, you are well aware of what you are doing and frankly you have easily descended into sociopathic territory yourself. Honestly, if we were to go tit for tat for terrible things we've said it we would largely cancel each other out so why go down that route when it's well in the past? I'm a completely different person
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:46 pm
Always a good time to talk about prison. Shame we lost a poster though.
Cause a saw a few people saying ol' Roman didn't serve time. He actually did serve a very brief time (42 days) and agreed to a plea bargain but the judge was like "nope, fuck that, 50 years!" and then he split.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:42 pm

I think that J. K. Rowling is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible with her tweets. I know a lot of trans people on another site I post at and comments like the ones she posted to Twitter are exactly the kind which cause emotional, mental, and physical harm to them, which includes depression, dysphoria, self-harm, and suicide. On several seperate occasions there, I, along with many other users there, attempted to cheer people up from these things and talk them out of hurting themselves, and this has made me especially sensitive towards statements like the ones Rowling made. In her initial tweet, she was giving support to someone who denied that trans people can change their sex. So many people don't understand how these comments can harm those people this much. I'm going to say that no matter how right you think you are, you just should not say what Rowling said, especially if you have the kind of following which she does.
Evil

Post by Evil » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 pm

Without Googling at all, Polanski served jail time, an important distinction. Also, judges have to approve plea agreements to make sure they are fair, its probably the main part of their job since what 99 percent of indictments end in a plea deal? I'm sure Janson has some actual numbers.
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Evil wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 pm
Without Googling at all, Polanski served jail time, an important distinction. Also, judges have to approve plea agreements to make sure they are fair, its probably the main part of their job since what 99 percent of indictments end in a plea deal? I'm sure Janson has some actual numbers.
According to my reliable source (Polanski's autobiography), the judge was also a fame hungry tyrant who enjoyed handling celebrity cases and was harsher on Polanski more because of the publicity and not the actual rape.

According to my reliable source.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
Kayden Kross

Post by Kayden Kross » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:28 pm

But you should google it thoroughly just in case.
yours truly,
kayden kross.
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:47 pm

A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood - 8/10 - This wasn't my pick to watch and I thought I would go ahead and bail after a prescribed amount of time. But I went ahead and watched all of it. Not so much because it drew me in or anything. Not to the degree where I would rate it higher. But Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers and Matthew Rhys as (fictionally altered Tom Junod) Lloyd Vogel do such a surreptitiously masterful job of capturing their characters that I ended up unwittingly enjoying it. Hanks basically nails it. And Rhys, with Chris Cooper's invaluable support as Vogel's estranged father, holds up his rather sizable part of the plot. He plays a cynical reporter whose life is transformed when he meets the iconic kids show host. I wish I could have let go of some of my own cynicism. I may have appreciated this more.
I want people to know that it's Whitner Nutting Bissell who's kicking in their door - WHIT BISSELL!
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:48 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:01 pm
Wow, that seems like a pretty deep dive to try to make a point.
I might agree with you if it was a different example, but context is king, and the context here isn't that Harry Potter is the work of a writer who has shown herself to be an ally of the Transgender movement otherwise, or even just one who's been neutral on the issue, but the work of a woman who has already outed herself as transphobic on social media, so "deep dive" or not, it's a fair reading of the character, considering that JK has already made the point herself that she's transphobic. Besides, I doubt that she's ever going to straight-up admit that Rita's characterization was meant to be an anti-trans allegory, and we'll never be able to prove that she was or wasn't the result of subconscious transphobia on JK's part, so what's the harm in interpreting the character as such? One "false" accusation of transphobia directed at someone who's already admitted as much otherwise? Because that just feels like playing dumb to me, and there's no way you can do more damage to her reputation than she, as the multi-millionaire (possibly billionaire) author with a massive built-in fanbase & platform has already done to the transgender community with her harmful rhetoric, and pretending otherwise feels like (not to beat a dead horse) pretending that Scorsese has never unintentionally stereotyped Black men in his movies, or acting like the "Redpillers" who insist that The Matrix can't be read at all as a trans allegory; c'mon, guys!
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am

Stu wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:48 am
pretending otherwise feels like (not to beat a dead horse) pretending that Scorsese has never unintentionally stereotyped Black men in his movies
Maybe it's easier to pretend that you're capable of presenting a cogent argument.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am

Evil wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 pm
I'm sure Janson has some actual numbers.
:shifty: I thought Obscure was the "Lawyer".

I will say, on the matter, that I wish that Polanski had not become a fugitive, not least because he deserved to do more than six weeks for the crime. It may surprise many people that, even given whatever sentence, it's unlikely, given the average penalty for sex crimes at the time, that he would have served more than 3-5 years. So, let's say that he was able to squeeze out Tess while the process played out, and it looks like the only real casualty to his output would have been Pirates, a fairly consensual loss. I'm sure that there would still be many who would continue to boycott his films after his release, but I would be happy to see him make those few - like Bitter Moon, Death and the Maiden and Venus in Fur - where his barely disguised guilty conscience is allowed to be exhumed rather than excused.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:54 pm

The be all end all on JK Rowling is quit giving the bitch a platform.
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:04 pm

21 Bridges - 8/10 - This was Chadwick Boseman's last role before his recent unforeseen death. He looks distressingly thin but that might be 20/20 hindsight on my part. He plays NYPD Detective Andre Davis, the son of a fallen hero cop and (according to his introductory scene at an Internal Affairs hearing where his record of shootouts is cited) kind of a Dirty Harry type. There's not a lot of new ground broken as far as cop movies go. Nothing you haven't seen before in other like minded thrillers like 16 Blocks or Witness or even an episode of Law & Order. The cops exchange the usual tough talk but the action however is propulsive and kept me interested even though, because of the late hour, I had no intention of watching this all the way through.
Two masked and armed robbers (Taylor Kitsch and Stephan James) are recruited by a local drug dealer to steal 30 kilos of cocaine from his competition. When they open the basement freezer at a Brooklyn restaurant they discover not 30 but 300 kilos of uncut coke. A sizeable group of cops show up unexpectedly which triggers a massive shootout that leaves seven of them dead, one critically wounded and the thieves on the run. Enter Boseman, who is tasked with hunting down the cop killers. He eventually talks the mayor’s aide and the police chief into closing down the entire borough of Manhattan by closing all (that’s right) 21 bridges. Actually it’s 17 bridges and 4 tunnels but why quibble? The restaurant shootout is sudden and violent and serves to establish the movies bona fides as a worthy thriller. From there it’s more or less a nonstop race to the five AM deadline that the mayor gives till he reopens the bridges. The captain of the local precinct (J.K. Simmons) teams up Davis with a narcotics detective (Sienna Miller, looking grungy and playing against type).
I think most people who have seen their share of cop movies will be able to guess the plot early on. But that doesn’t mean this still isn’t worth watching if only to check out Boseman’s farewell performance.
I want people to know that it's Whitner Nutting Bissell who's kicking in their door - WHIT BISSELL!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:14 pm

Da 5 Bloods is Chadwick’s last role, yo
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:22 pm

Acrually it will be Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:22 pm

Yo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:23 pm

WHIT BISSELL! wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:22 pm
Acrually it will be Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
Ain’t exist till it exists.
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Whatever.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:14 pm
Da 5 Bloods is Chadwick’s last role, yo
I'm gonna have to see that. It was kinda on my radar anyway, but now...
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm
It's really excellent, I highly recommend it. I posted an analysis of it in this thread some time back.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:39 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 am
It's really excellent, I highly recommend it. I posted an analysis of it in this thread some time back.
Yeah, I noted it and followed the conversation for a bit. That's what put it on my radar.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:36 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm
It’s messy with the potential to be polarizing but it’s my favorite of the year thus far.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:49 am

Polarizing movies are always worth it because. even if you don't enjoy it, you can take pleasure in some post-watch shit flinging with other opinionated people.

Personally, I think I'll watch Gods Of Egypt to see him. Never seen anything of him yet.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 am

Charles wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:49 am
Polarizing movies are always worth it because. even if you don't enjoy it, you can take pleasure in some post-watch shit flinging with other opinionated people.

Personally, I think I'll watch Gods Of Egypt to see him. Never seen anything of him yet.
I’d completely forgotten he was in that...

Guess I’ll... Rewatch?
replican

Post by replican » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 am

Charles wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:49 am

Films like Gods of Egypt make me miss Ebert. He was so good at seeing past the noise and critiquing a director's vision and not surface level aesthetics. I loved Proyas's Knowing. It got bad reviews but Ebert gave it 4/4. A film like Knowing is easy to dismiss as bad if you take it as face value instead of getting immersed in the world that the director is trying to conjure up.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 am

Knowing is fun in some ways (sincerely; I don't hate the movie and enjoy its daffy premise and momentum), but I think Ebert was just happy to be alive at that point. The flick gets some of its core concepts wrong (equating chaos / determinism with accident / purpose), and its ending is so tediously old-fashioned that Aldiss once derisively called it the "shaggy God" concept and suggested book readers should throw out manuscripts on sight for such an obvious bit of nonsense.

I really dug the second act where it's focused on unraveling the mystery of the numbers. The step-by-step process of it. And how the accidents are successfully frightening instead of getting too invested in their own awe.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
replican

Post by replican » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:09 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 am
Knowing is fun in some ways (sincerely; I don't hate the movie and enjoy its daffy premise and momentum), but I think Ebert was just happy to be alive at that point. The flick gets some of its core concepts wrong (equating chaos / determinism with accident / purpose), and its ending is so tediously old-fashioned that Aldiss once derisively called it the "shaggy God" concept and suggested book readers should throw out manuscripts on sight for such an obvious bit of nonsense.

I really dug the second act where it's focused on unraveling the mystery of the numbers. The step-by-step process of it. And how the accidents are successfully frightening instead of getting too invested in their own awe.
It's been a while since I've seen it but the word fun doesn't come to mind when thinking about it. If anything that approach to watching it is detrimental. The only way for that material to work is to let it be earnest. Otherwise its absurd premise will take you out of the atmospherics that is Proyas's bread n butter.

Same goes for Nic Cage. You have to accept his awkward intensity and over the topness in order to appreciate his greatness :)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 am

replican wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:09 am
It's been a while since I've seen it but the word fun doesn't come to mind when thinking about it. If anything that approach to watching it is detrimental. The only way for that material to work is to let it be earnest. Otherwise its absurd premise will take you out of the atmospherics that is Proyas's bread n butter.
Wasn't detrimental to me!
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:40 am

I like Knowing a decent bit and consider it to be one of the better Cage films. As for Proyas though, I prefer Dark City by a bit.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:04 am

< This guy needs to watch Gods of Egypt.
NOTE:
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:22 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am
Maybe it's easier to pretend that you're capable of presenting a cogent argument.

Read My Reviews
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Knowing was good, but the ending is such a cop out. It could have been great if it went where it was going instead of making a stop at cheeseland.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Stu, why are you moderating my posts? That's like, what, the only instance of moderation on this forum in a decade? No one asked you to do this for us, yo, I love you but you are pretty much the last person who I would want moderating me so maybe it's high time I took my show somewhere else
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Proyas, I don't think Knowing is great, but I'll say it's bold, in many ways. I remember liking Dark City a lot, even though I haven't seen it in years. The Crow is flawed, for obvious reasons, but I still think it's pretty cool, kickass, and stylish. If anything, it's impressive that Proyas managed to make something salvageable, let alone good, out of it.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:01 pm
Wow, that seems like a pretty deep dive to try to make a point.
Like, this is far more harsh a sentiment to far more people than just me attacking Wooley here, why is his ass not getting deleted?
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 am
It largely applies to Rita Skeeter and her descriptions in Goblet of Fire, particularly. Arguably, she's a non-passing trans woman. She's often described as having a "heavily jawed face", "mannish hands", and "a surprisingly strong grip". She also transforms her body to spy on children in the novel. These details seem to reveal Rowling's transphobia.
Let's put this into context here. Here's a character featured in a series which has sold how many copies? And here's Wooley failing to see what the big deal is. Do you fail to see the nuance of what I'm getting at here? It's not something which requires paragraph-long argument explanations, it's about being a decent person
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:35 pm

I mean, I'm pretty big - six feet tall, big hands and feet, broad shoulders. I played rugby. I am actually pretty proud of my masculine factors, I worked hard on my body. I'm excited to get to the other end of my change and see what I all retain, there's nothing wrong with being a masculine fem
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Point Blank is a gripping and stylish crime thriller that holds up very well. While there's no mistaking the decade in which it was made, the movie is shot and edited in ways that inspired modern directors like Soderbergh and Tarantino. It has a common premise in this genre to be sure, but Boorman's aforementioned flair makes it unlike any movie in it I've ever seen before from the ways it jumps back and forth in time to making you wonder what's real and what's happening in any of the characters' heads. I like how Lee Marvin plays Walker as a force of nature who only has vengeance on his mind, but still makes him seem human, and it's a joy to see early work by character actors I've enjoyed watching since I was young like John Vernon and James Sikking. The movie shows its age and not in a good way here and there, most notably in a special effect that made me laugh out loud, but as someone who has seen dozens of movies and TV shows in this genre, it was a nice surprise to see something that's over a half century old that seems so new.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
WHIT BISSELL!

Post by WHIT BISSELL! » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 am

The League of Gentlemen - 8/10 - This British B&W release preceded Oceans Eleven by almost a year and did a much more disciplined job with it's ex-military-men-plan-and-execute-a-heist theme. Jack Hawkins stars as Colonel Hyde, who has been left embittered after being cashiered following a long career in the service. He researches and assembles a group of well trained ex-military, all of whom left the service under sketchy circumstances. He has planned an elaborate bank robbery based on a pulp novel he's read and soon enough convinces the others to join up. The rest of the movie involves smaller capers they have to pull to procure weapons and vehicles. This production is well acted and carried off as proficiently as the pivotal bank robbery. The members of the gang include Nigel Patrick and Richard Attenborough among others. The only jarring part is in it's treatment of most if not all the female characters. They appear to be there solely as objects to either be scorned or desired. I suppose one shouldn't expect more with it being 1959 and all. Still though it's so evident that it's hard not to notice. Other than that this is a decent caper movie.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 am

Torgo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:17 pm
Point Blank is a gripping and stylish crime thriller that holds up very well. While there's no mistaking the decade in which it was made, the movie is shot and edited in ways that inspired modern directors like Soderbergh and Tarantino. It has a common premise in this genre to be sure, but Boorman's aforementioned flair makes it unlike any move in it I've ever seen before from the ways it jumps back and forth in time to making you wonder what's real and what's happening in any of the characters' heads. I like how Lee Marvin plays Walker as a force of nature who only has vengeance on his mind, but still makes him seem human, and it's a joy to see early work by character actors I've enjoyed watching since I was young like John Vernon and James Sikking. The movie shows its age and not in a good way here and there, most notably in a special effect that made me laugh out loud, but as someone who has seen dozens of movies and TV shows in this genre, it was a nice surprise to see something that's over a half century old that seems so new.
Been sitting in my queue. Need to get on this.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 am

Ergill wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 am
It’s dope. Not quite Deliverance or Hell in the Pacific level. But damn good nonetheless.
Stu

2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, '68)

Post by Stu » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 am

The ultimate trip.
After a few minutes of orchestral strings making an aimless, dissonant racket over a pitch-black screen, the first thunderous notes of "Thus Spake Zarathrustra" begin to play, as we're greeted with a sudden close-up of the moon that nearly blots out the entire frame, before it's superseded by the sight of a newborn Sun cresting over the Earth, the two heavenly spheres uniting in the most perfect of alignments, and, as the musical piece booms towards its climax, a title card announces the name of the film we're about to have the pleasure of watching: Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. This opening shot will prove to be a perfect microcosm of the movie itself; both incredibly intimidating and foreboding, as well as impossibly epic and full of endless promise, it's a film that is both immediately comprehensible on a gut level, while also cryptic enough with its deeper meanings that it's been endlessly scrutinized and over-analyzed for over half a century now, with still no end of its grip on film scholarship in sight, to the point that I just wrote the entire opening paragraph of this review about just the first few minutes alone without you realizing it, didn't I?

All jokes aside, while it's not easy (and kind of pointless) to try to accurately describe the plot of 2001 in mere words, I'll make an attempt at the basic gist anyway; beginning at the "Dawn Of Man" (as the opening chapter card helpfully informs us) with a starving tribe of apes who mysteriously learn how to use tools after the unexplained appearance of an ominous black slab of unknown (or "alien", if you will) origins in their midst, it suddenly jumps millions of years into the future with the just-as-sudden reappearance of the massive, iPhone-shaped square on the Moon, a discovery that leads the men who discovered it (and mankind in turn) on the most epic of cinematic journeys, one that spans the stars, and ultimately, the very limits of human evolution itself. It's a grand story that manages to both be incredibly mysterious with its story and imagery, as well as make perfect sense upon deeper analysis, with Kubrick's screenplay collaborator, Science-Fiction icon Arthur C. Clarke, helps ensure that the story always knows exactly where it's going and what it's saying, a striking clarity that I wish certain other works in the genre would be able to attain (I'm looking at you, Prometheus...)

But like I said, describing the story of 2001 is unnecessary anyway, as the real pleasure of the film is the unparalleled sensory experience it offers on the whole, as, since Kubrick adheres to both a "show, don't tell", visually-based style of storytelling, as well as to a hard scientific accuracy in the film's portrayal of interstellar travel, which often results in a complete lack of sound effects in the scenes set in the vacuum of space, which makes them perfect for emphasizing the classical music soundtrack that's so well-tailored that it's hard to believe that it wasn't written specifically for the film, as it perfectly enhances the elegant, slow-motion "dances" of the impossibly detailed space stations and ships on display here, all lovingly crafted by Kubrick's design team, and even over half a century later, the practical models and effects still look more realistic than most works of Science Fiction that are being produced today. Of course, some viewers have found the slow, extended sequences of space travel in 2001 to be fairly dull and uneventful, but I've always appreciated the way that these minutes-long intermissions allow us to just relax and soak in the interminglings of technology with the endless beauty of space, as the film makes us wait on its own, millennias-long timeline that nonetheless still proves to be oddly propulsive in its own, one-of-a-kind way, as it's completely unafraid to take all the time it needs to craft the right mood, lulling us into the proper state of hypnotic viewing, even if you haven't tried enhancing your experience by certain "substances" as you watch, as a number of contemporary hippies are reported to have done during the film's original release (hey, there's a good reason why one of the film's taglines is "The ultimate trip", after all).

At any rate, another aspect that 2001 excels at is the way that it presents a truly full-bodied, three-dimensonal vision of the future, not content to offer a shiny but ultimately vague conceptualization, but one that really tries making informed, educated speculations about what life in the then-future year of 2001 would be like, with the way its portrayal of the commercialization of space travel turns it into being just another everyday errand, with such "mundane" details as the sight of a flight attendent making a disorienting, zero-G walk upside down simply to deliver lunch to a pair of eagerly waiting shuttle pilots. This subtly, effortlessly ties into 2001's recurring message that, despite all the wondrous sights and technologies that the future of the film has to offer us as viewers, to the characters in the actual film, an experience like flying to a massive space station rotating in the heavens has become so everyday, it can be unintentionally napped through, as humanity has become dull and jaded in the future that none of the human beings in the film exhibit so much as a hint of having an personality, with the most memorable character in the film being the glowing red dot that represents the supercomputer "HAL", with the most emotional scene happening after he's begun to malfunction, as he slowly, helplessly begs (in his unnervingly robotic monotone) to not have his "mind" erased.

Finally, 2001 excels in its absolute refusal to provide any unnecessary, audience-coddling answers to the universe shattering questions that it raises, as, even as advanced as mankind is in the film, it still shows there are certain things that will always be beyond our comprehension as human beings (at least, that is, until we evolve into something greater than that). It's perplexing storytelling that nonetheless knows exactly what to let the audience know (and not know), both showcasing the great fear we would experience upon making first contact with an alien intelligence eons beyond our understanding, with the incredibly eerie, harrowing choirs moaning in the background that accompany almost every sighting of the Monolith, while also ultimately proving to be optimistic about the endless possibilities of such contact. In that way, 2001 still towers over film like the Monolith itself did over humanity, proving to be the finest example of Kubrick's legendary perfectionism, and watching it for the first time is a lot like experiencing what Dave does when he goes "beyond the infinite" towards the end; you have no idea what exactly what you're experiencing, but you also know that you'll never, ever be the same again.

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 10

Read My Reviews
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Love it. It's a really excellent, mind-fuck of a film.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Yeah, I hate to simplify my response by saying, "Yeah, that about sums it up", but...

I will say that I specifically agree about the slower moments, not only in how non-plussed the characters are by everything we're seeing, but also, contrastingly, in really developing a sense of how small and mundane our lives are in the scope of space, both of which I think are critical to giving impact to the finale.

I'll never understand people who say they don't think this film is amazing or that they don't "get it". It's beyond getting, to me, it's just truly great, as much a work of art as any film has probably ever been.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Yep. Like Stu says, it is the "sensory experience it offers on the whole" that's important to me. From the music and sound to the visuals and colors/lights. Also, as much as we can say about the use of music and sound, there's so much we can say about the "silences" on the film that I think are so important into the overall effect. Seriously, this is a masterful film.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Yeah, I don't have much to add beyond what you wrote, Stu (great essay by the way), but I agree that this film is perfect and among the very best films ever made. As you say, it's the sensory experience of it which matters in the end. And I agree that the occasional drawn out scenes are effective as they help to represent how uninterested the characters have gotten in the future, even in the face of so much advanced technology, which fits in perfectly with the themes of having a robot complete everything for them and, as Wooley says, gives the final act an extra layer of impact.

I've said it in the past, but those who say that Interstellar is better have got to be shitting themselves.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Ergill wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 am
It is on HBO Max and only 2 bucks to rent everywhere else if you're not an HBO customer. If you're a Soderbergh fan, you're bound to like it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 pm

I've said it in the past, but those who say that Interstellar is better have got to be shitting themselves.
Wait, someone has actually said that?
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm
Wait, someone has actually said that?
You'd be shocked at what strangers on the internet are willing to share with one another regardless of audience

But, probably not because this forum is also amazing at creating theoretical arguments which do not exist