What have you been listening to, recently?

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:03 pm

The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Hey, it's only around 60 more posts in here before the fool succeeds in climbing Satan's ladder

Great tune, shame the fighting isn't over yet
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Someone mentioned post-rock

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Just found this I picked up in my music collection a while back. It's super neat.

Also I apparently can't embed.

Edit: Yay, now I can. Thanks Jinn.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Also I apparently can't embed.
Click 'youtube' above, paste the youtube url inbetween the paranthetical, and delete the address left of the '='.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:46 pm
I don't know which universe where New Skin could be better than Songs of Love and Hate.

I think most of the songs' arrangements are clunky, and the melodies stale, but at least the lyrics still sting (except "Chelsea #2"). Maybe the best thing about the album is that a line like "I guess you call this love/ I call it service" manages to succinctly eclipse the entirety of Blood on the Tracks. If only Cohen's odes had the longing of a "You're a Big Girl Now" to go with those lyrics. Instead, it sounds like a very spiteful record to me, and not in a tastefully spiteful fashion.
My universe, it seems. Although it is no definite opinion. Song and Love and Hate was for years my go to Cohen album, and the first I really listened to compulsively. Even before I appreciated his first, which I initially thought of as too 'samey' (I'd say it's pretty close to my favorite of all time, by anybody, these days, regardless of that sameyness). Ultimately, though I'm probably a little listened out when Love and Hate, and New Skin is fairly new to my life, so that's been getting the lion share of rotations this last year.

Chelsea Hotel is definitely the big stand out. And I've got no issues arguing that the other songs are not up to the standard of Love and Hate. There are some cast off songs and a number that feel a little pieced together. But I'm digging the variety of Cohens on New Skin. It has a dire playfulness to it that I'm digging. And even if some of the songs aren't perfectly well oiled, I like hearing the squeaky hinge sound throughout.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 pm

One of my favorite music videos (was just listening in the car). Wondering how Janson feels about this particular venture featuring one of Lennon's sons