What have you been listening to, recently?

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:03 pm

The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Hey, it's only around 60 more posts in here before the fool succeeds in climbing Satan's ladder

Great tune, shame the fighting isn't over yet
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Someone mentioned post-rock

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Just found this I picked up in my music collection a while back. It's super neat.

Also I apparently can't embed.

Edit: Yay, now I can. Thanks Jinn.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Also I apparently can't embed.
Click 'youtube' above, paste the youtube url inbetween the paranthetical, and delete the address left of the '='.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:46 pm
I don't know which universe where New Skin could be better than Songs of Love and Hate.

I think most of the songs' arrangements are clunky, and the melodies stale, but at least the lyrics still sting (except "Chelsea #2"). Maybe the best thing about the album is that a line like "I guess you call this love/ I call it service" manages to succinctly eclipse the entirety of Blood on the Tracks. If only Cohen's odes had the longing of a "You're a Big Girl Now" to go with those lyrics. Instead, it sounds like a very spiteful record to me, and not in a tastefully spiteful fashion.
My universe, it seems. Although it is no definite opinion. Song and Love and Hate was for years my go to Cohen album, and the first I really listened to compulsively. Even before I appreciated his first, which I initially thought of as too 'samey' (I'd say it's pretty close to my favorite of all time, by anybody, these days, regardless of that sameyness). Ultimately, though I'm probably a little listened out when Love and Hate, and New Skin is fairly new to my life, so that's been getting the lion share of rotations this last year.

Chelsea Hotel is definitely the big stand out. And I've got no issues arguing that the other songs are not up to the standard of Love and Hate. There are some cast off songs and a number that feel a little pieced together. But I'm digging the variety of Cohens on New Skin. It has a dire playfulness to it that I'm digging. And even if some of the songs aren't perfectly well oiled, I like hearing the squeaky hinge sound throughout.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 pm

One of my favorite music videos (was just listening in the car). Wondering how Janson feels about this particular venture featuring one of Lennon's sons
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:02 am

The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 am

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:07 pm

London-based Japanese noise rock band Bo Ningen, recently put out a new album and it's awesome!
Last Great Movie Seen
Tangerines (Urushadze, 2013)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:12 pm

^will go in on that in a bit
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Uh oh I'm listening to WHY?'s Alopecia again
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm

My good friend is on bass here, good track too - probably the most Victorian song I've ever listened to :p
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:49 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 pm
Wondering how Janson feels about this particular venture featuring one of Lennon's sons
I haven't heard the most recent one, but I liked the first album quite a bit, and their performance of "Tomorrow Never Knows" at Bonnaroo is probably on Youtube somewhere. I prefer this project to Sean's other solo stuff and Claypool's solo and side projects all tend to sound like various shades of Primus, so the two of them have an interesting complement - Claypool adding a fiery spice to Lennon's watered-down retro psyche-rock.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 am

RIP Peter Green
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:15 am

I was a hold out for awhile but I now am officially in love with the new Strokes album.

So that's what I'm listening to
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:17 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 am

RIP Peter Green
I've 'misplaced' all of my John Mayall LPs, but any of the old Fleetwood Mac stuff is prime shit
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34 am

The new Taylor Swift album “Folklore” was essentially co-created by the National, sans Berninger. So... I like a Taylor Swift album. It’s still a bit too produced for my liking but man, is it a meteoric step in the right direction for me appreciating her as an artist.

So yeah... Big 2020 weird energy on how I’m feeling on this turn of events.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Behold, the complete Cowboy Bebop playlist!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9d ... gxMMAh3vBQ
Last Great Movie Seen
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 am

Twenty years of looking for this record. Worth it.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:26 am

Crumbs is one of the few people who've championed the album, and they are (or were) Rock's favorite band, so they might be interested in the deluxe set of Goat's Head Soup releasing in a couple of weeks. It's definitely not one of my favorites, but it's worth a download, imo.

The album itself is considered a misstep after their unbelievable run between 1968-72. "Dancing With Mr. D", "Heartbreaker (doo doo doo doo)" and "Silver Train" are classic struts (and the new set features unheard vintage mixes of these three by Glyn Johns, one of the pioneers of the classic rock sound), but the rest of the album meanders and never quite coheres. The new set also adds a couple of new tracks, the most exciting being a previously unbooted track, "Scarlet" with Jimmy Page guesting on guitar. Of the others, "Criss Cross" (also known as "Criss Cross Man" and "Save Me" on boot), is definitely good enough to have made the cut. There's a few other interesting tracks which are NOT included, but would help to justify the price. Although the early version of "Waiting on a Friend" is not quite ripe, it's an interesting embryonic run-through of a familiar favorite. The vintage "Tops" and "Separately" and "You Should Have Seen Her Ass" are better and closer to finished form. Also, since "Scarlet" is technically a 1974 recording, maybe they could have capitalized on the hot "Living in the Heart of Love".

But the Stones are known to frustrate the boots by steering clear of material already illicitly, and widely, available. A classic case of this was their release of The Brussels Affair, an outstanding performance from their '73 European tour. The bootleg has long been one of the Stones' most popular and sought out, under that name as well as Bedspring Symphony, Rock Out Cock Out, etc, which combined the early show in Brussels with a couple of recordings from an earlier London show (with the latter performance of "Street Fighting Man" being perhaps one of the fiercest). But when the Stones finally relented and released the concert on their own limited label, they used the late show instead, which is great because it's still an incredible show. The highlight of the GHS box set is a reissue of this concert, but it's worth seeking out some other tapes from the European tour, which are some of their most consistent and tight shows. Essen, especially, produced two other classic boots - The Jean Clarke Memorial Sonic Barbecue and The Stars in the Sky They Never Lie.

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:20 am

Just glam rockin' at 4 am, as one does. Don't mind me.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm

If you're into synthwave, check out Power Glove's latest album, Playback. Here's one of its highlights.
Last Great Movie Seen
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:03 pm

There's an outstanding British musician called Leyland Kirby, artist name: The Caretaker. Leyland started making sort of vinyl-static'd music inspired by the ballroom music from The Shining.

I had this album in my collection for a bit and I didn't listen to it until recently, when a couple recommended videos talked about it. It is called Everywhere At The End Of Times. It is a concept album about Alzheimer's. The album is in six volumes, starting with the first one being a Shining ballroom-type music with typical vinyl or wax cylinder audio artifacts, and every volume gets more and more distorted, representing the six stages of Alzheimer's. Some people found it very affecting. Music has almost no negative effect on my mood, ever, but I find the first 3 volumes extremely relaxing, and the album overall extremely evocative and peaceful.

Here it is in full: