The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Patrick McGroin

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Anyone else watch Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal? No dialogue but there's still meaning and affectivity to it's story.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am

While looking up Primal on IMDB, I found this:

<Nicolas Cage voice> By hunting the animal, I've become the animal. I've become...primal.
Last Great Movie Seen
From Beyond (Gordon, 1995)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 am

At this point is Nicolas Cage even sleeping? I don't see how any actor can crank out so many movies in so truncated a period of time.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 am
At this point is Nicolas Cage even sleeping? I don't see how any actor can crank out so many movies in so truncated a period of time.
Those castles and snakeskin jackets aren't going to pay for themselves.
Last Great Movie Seen
From Beyond (Gordon, 1995)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Torgo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:05 pm
Those castles and snakeskin jackets aren't going to pay for themselves.
Even his money woes are awesome. Pay attention Johnny Depp. There's spending and then there's spending with panache.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Giggity.

And hey, it's got Kevin Durand as the baddie. And Famke Janssen. Oh and a CGI white jaguar that's as least as good as those CGI deer they insist on using on The Walking Dead. In other words...no es bueno.

Fuck it. The more I watch this the better it gets. Motherfucking snakes on a motherfucking boat and "...got a real nice cage for you." Let's see Johnny Depp drop that kind of wordplay/bon mot.

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:19 am

I blazed through Happy Endings and now there's no more and I'm sad.

It was a-MAH-zing.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Yesterday, I finished Season 1 of Daredevil, and it was really good. It probably won't crack a Top 10 or Top 20, but it was very enjoyable, mostly on the strength of the characters. Pretty much every character is either likable or well portrayed. I would even say that I liked or cared about most of the supporting cast more than I liked/cared about Charlie Cox' Matt Murdock. I mean, he's OK, but I really enjoyed the characters of Foggy, Karen, Ben, Wesley, and Fisk. Plus there was enough tension and action as the season approached the end. One pet peeve would be that...
...I really wish they've gotten Foggy and Karen together. They seemed to be going that route, only to throw him back at the blond girl when he "broke up" with Matt. On the other hand, they seemed to hint at a relationship between Karen and Matt towards the end, but it really didn't feel earned at that point. Particularly when they had that useless "relationship" with the Rosario Dawson character, who I would say was the biggest weak spot for me. I mean, from the beginning, her character felt tacked on for some reason; maybe the studio was looking for a "big name" female lead or someone to add diversity, or whatever, but her character never felt integrated into the plot, and I think even the writers noticed it by how they brushed her aside mid-season.
But other than that, a real entertaining show.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Glad you liked Daredevil, Thief. Rosario Dawson’s character is supposed to be Night Nurse from the comics and she pops up in the other Netflix Marvel shows.
Emilenug

The Television Thread

Post by Emilenug » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:42 am

Figured since people here go to G-fest and its the biggest kaiju convention around we should make an official thread for it. Discuss anything G-fest related here
wichares

Post by wichares » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:34 am

This year is so rich with good TV. I use trakt to keep track of and rate what I watched, and this year has my first 10/10 episode since The Return Part 8 in 2017 (Part 4 of When They See Use) and my first 10/10 season of TV since the 2013 double whammy of The Good Wife S5 and Breaking Bad S5 (Fleabag S2).