The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Takoma1

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 pm
We're fixing a few stray episodes of Designing Women
Well, it is the best way to keep them from breeding. You end up with little episode everywhere, unvaccinated, feral.

I haven't watched Designing Women in probably 25 years. I remember watching it in syndication when I was younger, but it never struck me as something I wanted to revisit.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Finished up season 2 of Lost In Space. It improves on season 1 with almost nonstop action and the Robinson family in seemingly never ending peril. But there are still slower paced moments mostly dealing with the family dynamic. Parker Posey still shines as the treacherous Dr. Smith but her character isn't the typical one dimensional villain. She is allowed numerous moments of empathy and vulnerability that make her
supposed end all the more affecting.
The production values and the effects are eye popping. It certainly looks like one of the most expensive shows on television right now. The characters have jelled and with a little more tinkering with the writing this could turn out to be a hidden gem. I'm anxious to see where they take this steadily improving show in season 3.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm
Finished up season 2 of Lost In Space. It improves on season 1 with almost nonstop action and the Robinson family in seemingly never ending peril. But there are still slower paced moments mostly dealing with the family dynamic. Parker Posey still shines as the treacherous Dr. Smith but her character isn't the typical one dimensional villain. She is allowed numerous moments of empathy and vulnerability that make her
supposed end all the more affecting.
The production values and the effects are eye popping. It certainly looks like one of the most expensive shows on television right now. The characters have jelled and with a little more tinkering with the writing this could turn out to be a hidden gem. I'm anxious to see where they take this steadily improving show in season 3.
My wife started season 1 of Lost in Space about a week ago and said she was liking it so far. Maybe I'll pick up on that.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Also, my apologies for once again bringing the Watchmen graphic novel, but I just finished Chapter XI and wow, I wasn't expecting that.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm
Also, my apologies for once again bringing the Watchmen graphic novel, but I just finished Chapter XI and wow, I wasn't expecting that.
I'm also currently reading it. I'm on chapter 7 or 8, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I couldn't wait to read the last chapter, so I finished it last night. It's certainly an impressive read, not necessarily in terms of the overall story, but more in terms of the scope, the depth it manages to give its characters, the overall design of the panels, which I had mentioned before. I'm already planning a second read to maybe catch up on things I might've missed.

Now, a question to anyone familiar... considering I liked the graphic novel, what should I expect when I watch Snyder's film or the new TV show?
undinum

Post by undinum » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Why would you want to know what to expect?
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm

undinum wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Why would you want to know what to expect?
Not looking for a rundown, but rather a general idea of what people thought of both. Good, bad, whatever.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Not looking for a rundown, but rather a general idea of what people thought of both. Good, bad, whatever.
Snyder makes one major change, and I think I'm the only person that prefers Snyder's choice. I won't say anything else until you've seen it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm
My wife started season 1 of Lost in Space about a week ago and said she was liking it so far. Maybe I'll pick up on that.
I think it's worthy of giving it a shot. There are no glaring deficiencies. To me the characters started off as more of a bunch of strangers randomly thrown together instead of an actual family but maybe that was intentional on the part of the writers. Clunky but intentional. You may or may not find some of them annoying but it's not really a deal breaker or anything.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Season 3 of Mindhunter is in doubt

That's too bad, especially since season 2 suggested that the next season will be amazing. Nothing's set in stone yet, but with this news and other disappointing cancellations like Tuca & Bertie, Netflix's lack of follow-through lately makes me hesitant to commit to their original series. While I applaud the company for hiring visionaries and mavericks like David Fincher and Martin Scorsese, they're not the kind of people who like to spend too much of their time on the same project.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slow West (Maclean, 2015)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm
and I think I'm the only person that prefers Snyder's choice.
Hopefully
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm
Now, a question to anyone familiar... considering I liked the graphic novel, what should I expect when I watch Snyder's film or the new TV show?
Regarding Snyder's adaptation, expect... a couple of extremely lousy performances (Laurie and Dan are the primary offenders), a couple of great performances (Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach), an admirable attempt at emulating the comic's aesthetic, a few major tonal alterations to the comic's violence, and... the change. Some people liked... the change. They are, of course, abhorrently wrong about everything
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

That's too bad, especially since season 2 suggested that the next season will be amazing. Nothing's set in stone yet, but with this news and other disappointing cancellations like Tuca & Bertie, Netflix's lack of follow-through lately makes me hesitant to commit to their original series. While I applaud the company for hiring visionaries and mavericks like David Fincher and Martin Scorsese, they're not the kind of people who like to spend too much of their time on the same project.
Stolen from the internet:

By the end of the second or third season, the fan base for a given show has likely stagnated and stopped growing. Therefore, it is a better use of Netflix's money to invest in a new show that could hook new viewers than to keep servicing that same established audience again and again. As heartbreaking as it is, this is believed to be one of the philosophies behind the companies allocation of funds.

Depressing, but not really surprising.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Stolen from the internet:

By the end of the second or third season, the fan base for a given show has likely stagnated and stopped growing. Therefore, it is a better use of Netflix's money to invest in a new show that could hook new viewers than to keep servicing that same established audience again and again. As heartbreaking as it is, this is believed to be one of the philosophies behind the companies allocation of funds.

Depressing, but not really surprising.
That is such a cynical horseshit take on being a television provider.

"Fuck any kind of commitment to the audiences we built, we have more audiences to build"

I'm happy that I've never given them a nickel.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm
Regarding Snyder's adaptation, expect... a couple of extremely lousy performances (Laurie and Dan are the primary offenders), a couple of great performances (Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach), an admirable attempt at emulating the comic's aesthetic, a few major tonal alterations to the comic's violence, and... the change. Some people liked... the change. They are, of course, abhorrently wrong about everything
Hmm, that's surprising. Patrick Wilson is usually a dependable/competent actor. Anyway, I have plans of checking it out this month. I also started a second read of the comic, two chapters in already, so I can soak up on minor details I might've missed.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

I sorta understand Netflix' reasoning of letting the cast members "free" until Fincher can come back, but I really hope he does. I read that his original goal was 5 seasons and they've been building up several subplots that I wish I can see to the end.

If it's any consolation, filming of Mank began last year, so maybe Fincher can wrap this up and get back to the show.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Thief wrote:
I couldn't wait to read the last chapter, so I finished it last night. It's certainly an impressive read, not necessarily in terms of the overall story, but more in terms of the scope, the depth it manages to give its characters, the overall design of the panels, which I had mentioned before. I'm already planning a second read to maybe catch up on things I might've missed.

Snyder's film is about as honorable as a single-film adaptation could be, which is: kinda. Some good choices, some bad, the increased focus on violence is disappointing but inevitable, as is a late-breaking story change. I'd go further than other posters and say that along with Haley and Crudup, Morgan and Wilson are also good within their roles. (Frewer as Moloch, too.)

I stopped watching the show after four episodes. Something about it wasn't agreeing with me. I think it was Lindelof's need to place everything within the context of elliptical, mysterious revelation. Watchmen the comic had one central mystery at its core IIRC (the identity of the mask killer, which transitions into the conspiracy) while characters are developed with relative straightforwardness and clarity. The show just piled on one goddamn thing after the other, though, and it furthers the Abrams Graduating Class obsession with "what is my heritage."
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm

I hate to bear more bad TV news, but...

Season 2 of Watchmen won't happen

Does the first season have a pretty conclusive ending? I haven't seen it yet.
Last Great Movie Seen
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:37 pm

I haven't seen it, but what I've read is that Lindelof is not interested, or didn't devise a second season.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm

It was pretty much a conclusive ending. They did close out with a bit of a "what if?" moment but it didn't come off as something people were gonna be clamoring over. A shrug is a perfectly reasonable response to this.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 am

Much like Please Like Me, Everything's Going to Be Okay is both making me laugh and hurting my heart.

"Why didn't the lady at the store warn me that I look like a child whore widow?"
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm
I hate to bear more bad TV news, but...

Season 2 of Watchmen won't happen

Does the first season have a pretty conclusive ending? I haven't seen it yet.
The season was designed with a mini series in mind and it has a definitive ending to its story. Like the graphic novel, it has an ending which carries an implication of what’s to come but that very much feels like “a story for another time” rather than something that merits an immediate follow up for s2.

Lindleof very much said that he was only going to return to it when/if a good enough idea came to him. He also said that the idea of someone else following it up in several years with their own big mystery idea would be nice.

I’m happy an s2 isn’t on the way.
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 am

Thief wrote:
Snyder's movie is kinda like a robot's interpretation of the comic. All of the images are in the correct order. It's slavishly faithful, in many cases a direct panel-to-frame translation. It is also a cold husk devoid of anything suggesting that the people who created it understand why Watchmen is any good as a book.
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 am
Snyder's movie is kinda like a robot's interpretation of the comic. All of the images are in the correct order. It's slavishly faithful, in many cases a direct panel-to-frame translation. It is also a cold husk devoid of anything suggesting that the people who created it understand why Watchmen is any good as a book.
I’ll never understand this criticism. There’s hardly a single thematic thread that’s dropped from the graphic novel. Virtually everything of substance is intact and everything they cut shows that they had those themes in mind.

At worst, you could say that it’s stylistically ill fitting, with its slow-mo and ultra violence, but even that serves as an ironic clash with superhero films, which even still largely have sanitized violence that neglects the grievous injury that these masked vigilante would inflict upon people. The comic may not revel in the action like Snyder does and something more stripped down would probably be better suited but it has to acknowledge that even the premise of the comic demands they be extremely effective fighters given than they are not immediately murdered by anyone they face (the show also suffers from this and has less striking or affecting violence).

The show is a proper sequel that seeks to address racial violence and American legacies in addition to the themes of power and the psychology of “superheroes.” It’s hard to say more without spoiling anything.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 am
I’ll never understand this criticism. There’s hardly a single thematic thread that’s dropped from the graphic novel. Virtually everything of substance is intact and everything they cut shows that they had those themes in mind.

At worst, you could say that it’s stylistically ill fitting, with its slow-mo and ultra violence, but even that serves as an ironic clash with superhero films, which even still largely have sanitized violence that neglects the grievous injury that these masked vigilante would inflict upon people. The comic may not revel in the action like Snyder does and something more stripped down would probably be better suited but it has to acknowledge that even the premise of the comic demands they be extremely effective fighters given than they are not immediately murdered by anyone they face (the show also suffers from this and has less striking or affecting violence).
Almost none of the themes from the comic were dropped from the movie, yes, but that's because they were already lovingly baked into Moore's original text, and just because the film was an (admirably) slavish adaptation doesn't mean that Snyder did a good job of delivering those themes (because with his generally poor sense of structure, pacing, and tone, I don't feel he did). And, it doesn't even feel like he understood those themes in the first place, as his surface-level faithfulness just makes him seem like he's trying to stand on the shoulder of a giant, like a hungover fratboy attempting (and failing) to mindlessly quote Socrates word-for-word on his Philosophy final in order to pass the class, and if anything, the only indication we get from the movie is that Snyder didn't get what Moore was going for, when you look at how much he undermined the thing that was kind of the comic's main point, which was its stark demythologization of the very concept of superheroes as a whole, ignoring that in favor of doing things like taking a one panel scuffle from the comic and expanding it out into a ridiculous, 5-minute slo-mo fight scene, because he's so desperate to make his heroes look as "badass" as possible. It is an incredibly ambitious adaptation in certain regards, yes, but that just isn't enough in light of everything thathe got wrong, and he got a lot wrong.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 am

Fetishizing violence that the characters themselves fetishize in the comics while transferring it into a different medium doesn’t reveal a misunderstanding of the material. It reveals an attempt to make the strengths of that medium work in favor of those themes.

Claiming that the themes are intact contradicts that Snyder doesn’t understand them. In his adaptation, he could have cut out pivotal moments, like Manhattan not stopping the Comedian from a cold blooded murder. The sequence set to Phillip Glass that explores Dr. Manhattan captures the essence of the graphic novel in a way that transcends mere visual replication.

Even some of the most striking additions, the oft lauded credit sequence set to Dylan, cement Snyder’s understanding and ability to find material that fits with Moore’s vision while using the newly afforded montage to communicate those ideas in a new way.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Anyone else watch or is planning on watching Avenue 5? Created by Armando Iannucci and starring Hugh Laurie. The pilot wasn't bad. If it builds from that then this will be worth following. It's on HBO.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:42 pm
Anyone else watch or is planning on watching Avenue 5? Created by Armando Iannucci and starring Hugh Laurie. The pilot wasn't bad. If it builds from that then this will be worth following. It's on HBO.
Yeah definitely on my radar to check out. Looks like a lot of fun.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm more excited about Comedy Central's Awkafina is Nora from Queens, personally. I've been a fan of hers since seeing her in Crazy Rich Asians. I haven't seen The Farewell yet.
Hopefully, the series will be on par with Broad City.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 am
Fetishizing violence that the characters themselves fetishize in the comics while transferring it into a different medium doesn’t reveal a misunderstanding of the material. It reveals an attempt to make the strengths of that medium work in favor of those themes.
No no no, Snyder is in love with his violence as this fetishization extends through all of his movies, he's a disgusting "artist". I turn to the difference between how Rorschach deals with the child predator as a primary culprit, or Rorschach in prison with the goons outside his cell. It's a completely unnecessary change yet Snyder wanted to triple down on the violence because he likes it. Moore would probably call Snyder a sociopath
Claiming that the themes are intact contradicts that Snyder doesn’t understand them. In his adaptation, he could have cut out pivotal moments, like Manhattan not stopping the Comedian from a cold blooded murder. The sequence set to Phillip Glass that explores Dr. Manhattan captures the essence of the graphic novel in a way that transcends mere visual replication.
Snyder doesn't understand the themes or he wouldn't have made the changes he made, this is unarguable, whatever "art" is in effect is a happy accident of the source material's quality.
Even some of the most striking additions, the oft lauded credit sequence set to Dylan, cement Snyder’s understanding and ability to find material that fits with Moore’s vision while using the newly afforded montage to communicate those ideas in a new way.
Woah, this isn't a showcase of Snyder's understanding and ability to find material which fits Moore's vision. "At midnight, all the agents and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do." - "Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan is the quote at the end of chapter 1, there's no new idea being communicated here aside from the childish notion that Comedian murdered JFK (Nice one, Snyder!)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:17 pm

What themes did Snyder botch due to this apparently obvious misunderstanding? How does Snyder's fetishization of violence go against the characters doing the same? A lot of pontificating about Snyder's inability to understand the film but other than character assassination, no one has provided anything from the movie that communicated that misunderstanding.

The closest is Rorschach butchering the guy and even that communicates that he’s a vicious murderer, which is in keeping with the thematic content.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:17 pm
What themes did Snyder botch due to this apparently obvious misunderstanding? How does Snyder's fetishization of violence go against the characters doing the same? A lot of pontificating about Snyder's inability to understand the film but other than character assassination, no one has provided anything from the movie that communicated that misunderstanding.

The closest is Rorschach butchering the guy and even that communicates that he’s a vicious murderer, which is in keeping with the thematic content.
Well, if you want more character assassination just go into everything about the final act... but I'm not going to suffer an offense on that front so go right ahead with a defense. "As doctor Manhattan would say, nothing ends, nothing ever ends", like, what a joke

Seriously, why change the Rorchach bit? It was sufficient in the comic, it's just that Snyder is a stupid manchild who gets off on this, and he does in all of his movies. Even the kids movie with the owls is a glorification of violence. So yeah, when he goes in on the violence in Watchmen it doesn't come off as a condemnation, he is thoroughly enjoying his prison fight sequence. So, what, Snyder is a sociopath just like the characters? Good defense
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Ultimately, all of the themes, the art, the everything... Moore did the heavy lifting. Any time Snyder decided to add his input it ended up being subtractive to the art. And these aren't small problems, he altered the entire final act for the worse. Again, I'm not arguing this, I'm fascinated by the notion that people are actually okay with the change
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:57 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm
Ultimately, all of the themes, the art, the everything... Moore did the heavy lifting. Any time Snyder decided to add his input it ended up being subtractive to the art. And these aren't small problems, he altered the entire final act for the worse. Again, I'm not arguing this, I'm fascinated by the notion that people are actually okay with the change
That's not how adaptations work. Snyder chose WHAT to preserve for the film and what to leave out. He could have easily approached it the way League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did or even V for Vendetta.

The source is not the adaptation. Otherwise all adaptations would represent the strength of that source.

How does the final act show a misunderstanding of the themes and what Watchmen is? Be specific, something I've been asking for but have yet to get.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 pm
So yeah, when he goes in on the violence in Watchmen it doesn't come off as a condemnation, he is thoroughly enjoying his prison fight sequence. So, what, Snyder is a sociopath just like the characters? Good defense
By this logic, Scorsese is a sociopath because his scenes of violence are sensationalized. Those party scenes in Wolf of Wall Street capture how Jordan Belfort feels about them. Scorsese is condemning the behavior because of the context provided by the rest of the film.

Just as Snyder's Watchmen does.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:24 am

Thief wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm
I also started a second read of the comic, two chapters in already, so I can soak up on minor details I might've missed.
If there's any doubt how much I liked this, I finished that second read in a couple of days. It's amazing how much minor/major stuff one can pick up when re-reading it.

I also just finished watching Snyder's film and... I have thoughts :shifty: I'll let it wallow in my mind for a while and maybe move the discussion to my thread tomorrow/later.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:57 am
That's not how adaptations work. Snyder chose WHAT to preserve for the film and what to leave out. He could have easily approached it the way League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did or even V for Vendetta.

The source is not the adaptation. Otherwise all adaptations would represent the strength of that source.
In the case of Watchmen the only path to adapting it in any worthy fashion is to be as strict as possible. This is why you don't adapt Alan Moore's work, if you factor in the subjectivity of the creator you will always be watering down the hooch by adding another to the mix.
How does the final act show a misunderstanding of the themes and what Watchmen is? Be specific, something I've been asking for but have yet to get.
I'm seriously not doing this until you factor in an offense, I'd love to hear it
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 am
By this logic, Scorsese is a sociopath because his scenes of violence are sensationalized. Those party scenes in Wolf of Wall Street capture how Jordan Belfort feels about them. Scorsese is condemning the behavior because of the context provided by the rest of the film.

Just as Snyder's Watchmen does.
Hahahahahahahaha, right, this 64% zach snyder has the same nuance as a Scorsese. Okay buddy. Let me go pull up the interviews with snydr proclaiming that he stylizes his violence because it's cool. Dude doesn't have a clue, where is this reverence coming from?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 am

So no specifics?
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:43 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 am
So no specifics?
Dude, in no world am I comparing and contrasting zach snyder's abomination with Moore's masterpiece, if it isn't already obvious you are lost
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:43 am
Dude, in no world am I comparing and contrasting zach snyder's abomination with Moore's masterpiece, if it isn't already obvious you are lost
You should toss in a “believe me” for good measure.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:16 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Woah, this isn't a showcase of Snyder's understanding and ability to find material which fits Moore's vision. "At midnight, all the agents and superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do." - "Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan is the quote at the end of chapter 1, there's no new idea being communicated here aside from the childish notion that Comedian murdered JFK (Nice one, Snyder!)
FWIW, this is implied in the novel.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:16 pm
FWIW, this is implied in the novel.
Yes, implied. It was never explicitly made clear that Comedian was JFK's murderer, this is just another instance of snyder boiling the text down to it's most obvious state
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:51 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 am
You should toss in a “believe me” for good measure.
I already made it clear that I'm not attacking Snyder's final act until someone in this world is capable of mounting a defense (it doesn't even have to be worthy, just say something of actual substance), which is impossible hence why you are tucking your tail in between your legs
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Like, you can't say that Snyder understands this shit and be completely unable to articulate what exactly it is you understand about the material
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:03 pm

And I made it clear that I don’t have to defend the movie against nebulous claims of misunderstanding when you can’t provide any specifics, and what you did I already rebuked.
AngeloButler

Post by AngeloButler » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:48 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 am
I like her when she isn't brooding.

I shall reconsider.
Yeah, I also like her a lot. She is amazing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Man, what the hell happened to Rick and Morty?
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 pm
Man, what the hell happened to Rick and Morty?
Which one you saw? The dragon episode was pretty bad, but I thought the next one (Rattlestar Ricklactica) was a nice return to form.