The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Macrology

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Macrology » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:04 am

wichares wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am
S2 >> S1 >>>> S3. S3 is still decent but it just seems so comparatively workmanlike after the first two.
This is pretty accurate, though I'd probably rearrange the >s to look more like S2 >>>> S1 >> S3.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 am
It's a bit odd:
Like you say, Ray Wise's benevolent character (who might be God?) does feel less effective than other moments of whimsy. It's leavened a bit because Winstead's character doesn't take his offer to heart and falls back into the more chaotic side of the Fargoverse. But it still felt more contrived than the flying saucer in S2. Maybe because it affects the narrative less and leads to Dunst's perfect "It's a flying saucer, come on, we gotta go!" Which emphasizes the absurdism instead of suggesting a hidden order beyond our ken. It reminds me of the spaceship in Life of Brian that picks up Graham Chapman during a chase and then drops him exactly where he left off.
Yeah
I was alright with the saucer too. Fargo and The Man Who Wasn't There are at least in the same bleakly absurdist neighborhood where there's no guarantee of higher powers with our best interests in mind and a tendency to nudge things in our direction. It's not like I think less of the Coens when they dabble in the latter. If it gels with the movie, have at it. It's just that it can also be a tempting go-to for writers of longform fiction who fall in love with their characters and want to make fistpumpy moments for the audience. If the overriding tone of the series has gone elsewhere and it mainly seems in service of rollercoaster logic, that can jar.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 am
Thoughts overall on Fargo Season 1:
1) I think that the show does an interesting job of portraying misguided paternalism, most of which is directed at Molly. It's interesting to me that the characters who make choices that they believe may or may not harm other people are the male characters (Gus, Lester, etc). Granted, there aren't very many female characters with any kind of agency. Molly is . . . about it. All the other women are more akin to potential-damsels (Gus's daughter, Vern's wife, Lester's wife, etc). I hope that later seasons have more complex female characters, or at least some that are more key to the plot.

2) I enjoyed the repeated use of anecdotes, especially those that the listener did not understand. Gave me, I don't know, Twin Peaks vibes or something?

3) Gus was so adorable. And yet so FRUSTRATING! It was an interesting comparison to the earlier iteration of Lester's character where someone just makes mistake after mistake. Also, him insisting that Molly stay home, then going after Malvo himself gave me very mixed feelings.

4) Martin Freeman's transformation as Lester was pretty amazing. He looked like he took about 10 years off of his life just with his change of facial expression and posture as he became more of a "predator". The evolution from puffy orange coat to black turtleneck was astounding. And Lester's increasing comfort with cold-blooded actions. I mean, the part where he send his wife into the store as bait is . . . oof. And then Allison Tolman's performance with its own more subtle evolution was also awesome.

5) Question: The subplot with the Supermarket King felt . . .unresolved? Did I miss something? Malvo is after the cash, isn't he? It seemed strange to me that there was no follow up. After framing the dim-witted boyfriend for it all, was Malvo done? Was he just sowing chaos?

6) I'm a little sad that there won't be anymore of the hitmen partnership. I liked their chemistry.
It's been a couple of years since I saw Season 1, but here are some thoughts...

1) Re: female characters, I think the next seasons might give you what you want. Season 2 has Kirsten Dunst and Jean Smart in what could be two different ends of the spectrum. Same can be said, to a certain extent, with Winstead and Coon in Season 3. And since we're at that, I really loved Coon's character.

3) I should probably rewatch it, but there was always something off for me during the very climatic moment of that confrontation. Not sure if I can put my finger on it, but it's more of a minor nitpick or off feeling.

4) Not much to add. Freeman was excellent.

5) I really don't remember much about what happened, but I think they didn't bring it up after the time jump, right?

6) There are a couple of cool hitmen partners in Season 3, but not as cool as Season 1's. Then again, there might be something for you there.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:28 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:54 pm
I'm s2>s1=s3. Agreed on them all being great but Hanzee and Mike Milligan give s2 the edge.
Mike Milligan was excellent and Hanzee was arguably my favorite character of that season, but there's just something about Malvo in Season 1 that energized the screen. Sure, it wasn't a lot different than what we're used to from Thornton, but I love to see him play the weasely, wise-ass asshole.

However, although I like all seasons, these are some issues I had with it...
The fact that the lead character (Patrick Wilson) is someone we already know lived takes some of the edge of the season.

I have a bit of a gripe with how they closed Hanzee's arc, at least apparently. To have that forced connection to Season 1 felt really... off and that kinda hinders the overall result of the season for me.

Although I understand and appreciate how they ended up Mike Milligan's character, it echoed too much to the ending of The Shield for me (to have the street-wise "bad guy" end up confined and trapped in a "corporate" structure.
Minor issues overall, but that's mainly why it is below the other two for me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Thief wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm
It's been a couple of years since I saw Season 1, but here are some thoughts...

3) I should probably rewatch it, but there was always something off for me during the very climatic moment of that confrontation. Not sure if I can put my finger on it, but it's more of a minor nitpick or off feeling.
I think that
Gus going to the cabin alone is like him making up for all of the mistakes or perceived cowardice from everything else he did: letting the killer go, shooting Molly, and seeing Malvo but not reporting it.

My problem, and maybe this was intentional on the part of the writers, is that it makes him the "hero" of the story. Maybe not to us, the audience, but to the people who are talking about the case. Molly put in the time, she worked hard, she was SHOT, (by Gus!), she risked her life and didn't back down even as she realized how dangerous the situation (and specifically Malvo) were.

I get that she was pregnant and I understand why Gus would be anxious about her confronting a dangerous killer while pregnant (and specifically pregnant with his child).

But it feels like he stole her thunder. And while he says "You deserve the credit," it would have been nice to hear him say that in a more public venue.

I don't mind the idea of a father protecting his child or a husband protecting his wife. It's not somehow inherently sexist to do so. But for him to emotionally blackmail her into not going out and doing her job--a job she is really, really good at-- so that he can go be the hero just doesn't play too well to me.

I appreciated that she looks uncomfortable in that final scene, and it makes me really sad for her character that despite the seemingly happy ending of her becoming chief and being happily married, she's still getting cheated. And by someone she loves, no less.

I guess it leaves me uncertain if the show itself is falling prey to some sexist tropes or if it is pointing out those sexist tropes. I kind of feel like it's a mix of both.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Ergill wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am
I really like TV Fargo, but my issue with it is trying turn the Coens into a Coenverse. They certainly have threads that weave their way throughout all their work, but there isn't a coherent unified style and sentiment throughout all of it. If you try to unify Oh Brother with A Serious Man, things fall apart. This problem doesn't ruin the series at all, but it does make for a weird tension, and the wish-fulfillment, magical-helpers tendency pops up more prominently in the third season. The base is supposed to be a lot closer to the original movie (I'm talking about Fargo!), so the further you drift from that, the less it works for me, especially when the drift seems much more towards crowd-pleasing.
I strongly disagree with this. Like I said earlier, I think that one of Hawley's successes is maintaining a "unified style and essence to the whole show, while also evoking that Coen flavor". In terms of what you say, I think that all three seasons stick pretty close to Fargo (the movie!) and its overall tone, even using a similar "template", so to speak, but without feeling overly repetitive. Like I said on a previous post, all three seasons have bumbling wannabe-criminals, good-natured police officers, colorful but ruthless hitmen, and odd henchmen, and yet somehow, they all work IMO.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 am

Funnily, I thought about Fargo the film in the opening season, but the subsequent ones have felt more to me like a hodgepodge of No Country, A Serious Man, and The Man Who Wasn't There, along with touches of their more comedic work, repackaged as dark whimsy.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:50 am

Back on the OG Twilight Zone, slowly but reliably getting through. "The Arrival" is one of my least-favorite episodes ever, with a real eye-roller conclusion to a potent mystery about a missing flight crew. "A Game of Pool" featured Jack Klugman, and I can't hate on that. "The Shelter" feels a bit like a reheated "Maple Street" but with a more long-winded closing moral from the victim of the story (thought the scenes of panic work). Watching "The Mirror" right now and processing Peter Falk as a brownfaced not-Fidel-Castro.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 pm

Episode 2 and most of episode 3 of Sense8 were about as meandery and unsatisfying as the first one, but the end of the third episode was absolutely fantastic, and now I'm really hooked. I gotta say the first sensates that we focus on aren't the most interesting people. Especially the cop. I wanna see more of the Japanese lady, and I want to see the British one be more active. She's just an observer in all of this yet, at least more than the others.

Also, Spanish lady is the best thing ever. And I appreciate a spontaneous Bollywood dance scene as much as anyone, so that was neat. I was wondering if the characters were playing actors though; that was not organic. I appreciate all the casually thrown-in sex and nudity too. It makes those scenes feel more casual and less tense than more PG versions from usual tv shows.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 am

Screw it. I'm gonna keep talking about The Walking Dead even though it's about as popular around here as a random stranger coughing in your face. Welp, the show lost what was it's best actor in Danai Gurira. It was her last episode and it wasn't bad at all. The black dude from The Leftovers (I had to IMDb him because it was driving me nuts where I had seen him before) locked her in a room and dosed her with Jimsonweed and she spent the episode tripping balls and imagining what her life would have been like if she hadn't rescued Andrea and joined Rick's group. Turns out she would have joined Negan's Saviors and it would have been her wielding Lucille and bashing brains. At least that's how it was written. Shitty writing or not it's somewhat startling how a decent actor can elevate a project. But at least they still have the little girl who plays Judith Grimes. That kid is a true wonder. When I used to watch Trailer Park Boys the young actress who portrayed Jim Leahy's daughter always stood out like a sore thumb. She was such a natural actress. Turns out it was Ellen Page. Maybe the kid who plays Judith is a future star in the making.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 am

Also just finished up season 1 of Mr Inbetween. Really liking this Aussie crime dramedy. Right now the show stands at two seasons with no official word on a third. S1 only had six episodes but S2 has 11.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:58 pm

I'm really enjoying the Cartoon Network series Infinity Train so far. It's very much in the spirit of Over the Garden Wall. I'm only a few episodes in, but I'd describe it as if they turned the Adventure Time episode "Dungeon Train" into a series.
Last Great Movie Seen
Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock, 1940)
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:58 pm
I'm really enjoying the Cartoon Network series Infinity Train so far. It's very much in the spirit of Over the Garden Wall. I'm only a few episodes in, but I'd describe it as if they turned the Adventure Time episode "Dungeon Train" into a series.
Oh wow, I saw a pilot for this back in 2016 that I really loved but I didn't realize until now that they finally actually made it into a show. Must check out.

An Over The Garden Wall comparison doesn't hurt either.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Slentert wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm
Oh wow, I saw a pilot for this back in 2016 that I really loved but I didn't realize until now that they finally actually made it into a show. Must check out.

An Over The Garden Wall comparison doesn't hurt either.
I can relate. I think I found out about it while randomly browsing Ben Mendelsohn's filmography. Then again, I only seem to find out about new Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows by accident!
You can watch every episode for free on their website.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:44 pm
I can relate. I think I found out about it while randomly browsing Ben Mendelsohn's filmography. Then again, I only seem to find out about new Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows by accident!
You can watch every episode for free on their website.
Sadly enough, it is apparently not yet available to watch in my country. :(
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Slentert wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm
Sadly enough, it is apparently not yet available to watch in my country. :(
Aww, too bad. You can always subscribe to Express VPN to change your country code, but I'm sure it will get there eventually.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 am

A friend recommended The Letter for the King as easy-TV and it was a really good call. It is very TV-PG, but it made me think fondly of some of the middle-grade fantasy I read as a kid. The cast is refreshingly diverse (across multiple demographics). The special effects are pretty good and used with restraint.

The basic plot is that a young knight-to-be is tasked with carrying an important letter to stop a power-hungry prince from fulfilling a prophecy about eternal darkness.

If you're looking for something light, this is a quick, fun 6-episodes.

EDIT: *SIGH* at internet reviewers who are mad that there are *GASP* brown and gay and female people in this show.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:42 am

Tiger King is like something concocted by Jody Hill and Harmony Korine brought to life. Check it out. It’s an enjoyably bananas doc.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:42 am
Tiger King is like something concocted by Jody Hill and Harmony Korine brought to life. Check it out. It’s an enjoyably bananas doc.
The animal cruelty is keeping me away, but I've got several friends who are in love with it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 am
The animal cruelty is keeping me away, but I've got several friends who are in love with it.
My wife is very sensitive to animal cruelty and found it riveting. Aside from some unseen descriptions of abuse and the general conceit that these guys and gals shouldn’t be allowed with in the same continent as a tiger due to their incompetent zoo management, it’s not a particularly hard watch.

With that in mind, avoid Don’t Fuck With Cats at all costs.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 am
My wife is very sensitive to animal cruelty and found it riveting. Aside from some unseen descriptions of abuse and the general conceit that these guys and gals shouldn’t be allowed with in the same continent as a tiger due to their incompetent zoo management, it’s not a particularly hard watch.
I just on Friday brought home a foster kitty who was seized from a bad situation, so I'm probably going to give it a little time.
Yeah, Netflix autoplayed the trailer for this and I was really upset for like a week.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:25 am
I just on Friday brought home a foster kitty who was seized from a bad situation, so I'm probably going to give it a little time.

Yeah, Netflix autoplayed the trailer for this and I was really upset for like a week.
Understandable. Just wanted to clarify that it's not nearly as hard of a watch as one may think. The animal cruelty takes a back burner to the insane people and feuding zoos and their absurd lives/beliefs.

Don't Fuck with Cats is among the best, most riveting and well made docuseries I've ever seen. It's up there with The Jinx and the Staircase. That said, I don't recommend it to anyone because of how upsetting it is. It's a rough watch, especially for animal lovers. Thing had me feeling all sorts of ways watching it but I couldn't pull away from it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 am
Understandable. Just wanted to clarify that it's not nearly as hard of a watch as one may think. The animal cruelty takes a back burner to the insane people and feuding zoos and their absurd lives/beliefs.
It's on my vaguely-in-the-future to-see list. I've heard only good things from people who've watched it.
Don't Fuck with Cats is among the best, most riveting and well made docuseries I've ever seen. It's up there with The Jinx and the Staircase. That said, I don't recommend it to anyone because of how upsetting it is. It's a rough watch, especially for animal lovers. Thing had me feeling all sorts of ways watching it but I couldn't pull away from it.
I know what you mean, because I ended up watching the whole trailer despite not wanting to. I even checked to see how bad the animal stuff was on the off chance that the trailer was the worst of it (turns out it's way too much for me, obviously), but the story itself is really fascinating.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 am

Also, here is a thing that my friend wrote for Forbes about Tiger King. Like many others she has been sheltered in place for two straight weeks with two young children. She gets paid by the click, so please share if you like it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahaswel ... 6e844859ea
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 am

Yeah, I'm two episodes left, and the only animal cruelty moments are during cat attacks where the pathetic human is trying distract the cat with their tiny fists or a few diversionary shots. The people alone are the most disturbing part.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:55 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 am
Also, here is a thing that my friend wrote for Forbes about Tiger King. Like many others she has been sheltered in place for two straight weeks with two young children. She gets paid by the click, so please share if you like it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahaswel ... 6e844859ea
Good last name.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 am

Just finished season 2 of Mr Inbetween. This is a really good show. The episodes are only half an hour long so it's easy to binge. The character of Ray Shoesmith is one of the most interesting protagonists on television right now and one of the more original creations too. The supporting characters are terrific. His daughter, girlfriend, boss, best friend and especially his brother. Man, I really hope they bring this back for a third season.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 am

Ergill wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:55 am
Good last name.
She's an all around fabulous human, as well.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:50 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 am
The animal cruelty is keeping me away
Well, something similar to that is the reason why I think you'd have a similar reaction to the end of Woman Under The Influence...

:(
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Has anyone watched Person of Interest? It's on Netflix, and since I'm really into Westworld, I want to check out Jonathan Nolan's other TV work. I'm also a fan of Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson, but there's the fact that this show was on CBS, whose programming always leaves me feeling like I've wasted my time.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:15 pm
Has anyone watched Person of Interest? It's on Netflix, and since I'm really into Westworld, I want to check out Jonathan Nolan's other TV work. I'm also a fan of Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson, but there's the fact that this show was on CBS, whose programming always leaves me feeling like I've wasted my time.
I really have enjoyed it. I think I've watched 4 seasons?

To start with, know that it gets stronger as it goes. Around the end of the second season it begins to do some interesting things--including the ethics of how we treat artificial intelligence--and also introduces some good secondary characters. Caviezel and Emerson make a good pair. Taraji P Henson was, in my opinion, kind of underused in her role as the police detective who often overlaps with their work.

It is "pop" television? Yeah. But I think it's worth checking out. They also have some pretty great guest stars.

Overall I quite enjoyed the basic premise, which is to say that you don't always know if the person whose name is pulled is in danger, is a danger to others, or both. They manage to get some interesting plots out of this, such as a woman who is stalking her deceased sister's violent ex-boyfriend.

EDIT: I'm trying to think of something to compare it to. I definitely liked it more than 24 or The Blacklist.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm
I really have enjoyed it. I think I've watched 4 seasons?

To start with, know that it gets stronger as it goes. Around the end of the second season it begins to do some interesting things--including the ethics of how we treat artificial intelligence--and also introduces some good secondary characters. Caviezel and Emerson make a good pair. Taraji P Henson was, in my opinion, kind of underused in her role as the police detective who often overlaps with their work.

It is "pop" television? Yeah. But I think it's worth checking out. They also have some pretty great guest stars.

Overall I quite enjoyed the basic premise, which is to say that you don't always know if the person whose name is pulled is in danger, is a danger to others, or both. They manage to get some interesting plots out of this, such as a woman who is stalking her deceased sister's violent ex-boyfriend.

EDIT: I'm trying to think of something to compare it to. I definitely liked it more than 24 or The Blacklist.
Cool, I'll give it a try. I was sold on "artificial intelligence."
To paraphrase A Christmas Story, Nolan works with AI like other artists work with watercolors. It's his true medium.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 pm
Cool, I'll give it a try. I was sold on "artificial intelligence."
To paraphrase A Christmas Story, Nolan works with AI like other artists work with watercolors. It's his true medium.
I'm going to keep this really vague for you:

In season 1, it's very "episode of the week" and there's not a ton of larger plot. (Yes, there are season-long threads).

By season 2, the show begins to get into the "machine" itself (the computer program that identifies threats), and that's where I think it gets really interesting.

By season 3, there are some neat ethical questions, more challenges to the core team, and just a much better array of characters and scenarios.

I know it's silly to be like "Just give it 3 seasons!", but I hope you'll find (as I did) that it gets more fun to watch as it goes.
wichares

Post by wichares » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:37 am

Person of Interest is great. First season is mildly enjoyable if heavily episode-of-the-week. It starts to develop strong personality in Season 2, including introduction of the show's best characters. (If you start getting restless, there is an online guide for which episode is essential) Season 3 to 5 though is pure sci-fi bliss; even the network's heavy meddling, including shortening its final season and still insisting "episode-of-the-week" on the showrunners even during that season, does little to reduce its awesomeness.

Seriously though, this show has one of my favorite TV characters of all time, in Amy Acker's Root. Worth watching alone just for that.

Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 pm

Hmm, I had never considered watching that show, but all this praise might make me bump it up a notch on my queue. Then again, I'm so behind in so many shows that I don't know if I should squeeze in another more.

Speaking of squeezing another show, has anyone seen Kingdom on Netflix? Seen 3 episodes and holy shit, that was intense.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 pm
Hmm, I had never considered watching that show, but all this praise might make me bump it up a notch on my queue. Then again, I'm so behind in so many shows that I don't know if I should squeeze in another more.
You could certainly watch the first season at a slow pace. It's around the end of the second/beginning of the third season that the season-long arches become more interesting and stuff you want to keep track of.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Just watched Demons from Sense8

Oof.

That scene ended a lot later than I thought it might, and went quite a bit further than I expected.

I really appreciate the sensate interactions and how many more there were than previously. They're so good.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 am

"The Midnight Sun" is a deceptively effective chiller in the Twilight Zone mode of "a bad thing happened, and that's that." Sorta like "The Odyssey of Flight 33" or previous episode "It's a Good Life." Sort of amazingly, it aired almost exactly the same time that British warming-Earth thriller The Day the Earth Caught Fire, and while nuclear weapons are never mentioned here (like they are in that film), the idea of a "midnight sun" and the double-twisteroo ending with the Earth freezing into a permanent winter pairs with symbology of nuclear weapons having the Gita-esque flare of a "thousand suns" before leading to nuclear winters. My favorite bit is watching oil paintings of the cityscape melt, colors running down the canvas. It's a clever way to visually suggest the melting of the city and humanity as a whole.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:06 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 am
"The Midnight Sun" is a deceptively effective chiller in the Twilight Zone mode of "a bad thing happened, and that's that." Sorta like "The Odyssey of Flight 33" or previous episode "It's a Good Life." Sort of amazingly, it aired almost exactly the same time that British warming-Earth thriller The Day the Earth Caught Fire, and while nuclear weapons are never mentioned here (like they are in that film), the idea of a "midnight sun" and the double-twisteroo ending with the Earth freezing into a permanent winter pairs with symbology of nuclear weapons having the Gita-esque flare of a "thousand suns" before leading to nuclear winters. My favorite bit is watching oil paintings of the cityscape melt, colors running down the canvas. It's a clever way to visually suggest the melting of the city and humanity as a whole.
"The Midnight Sun" is top 5 Twilight Zone for me, something I do not say lightly!

It's just so intensely claustrophobic and foreboding. There's something that makes me feel incredibly emotional thinking about this woman on a doomed planet, locked in an apartment and painting the same thing over and over.

The Twilight Zone often used "the people are the real monsters" idea, but in this episode it has such nuance. The sequence where the man breaks into the apartment is a great example of this. It's people in all different states of misery/doom/denial colliding with each other. I love it, and yet it makes me very anxious even thinking about it.

And as someone who frequently has real life and/or my physical state intrude in my dreams (like if my arm is twisted under me when I sleep, I'll dream that someone is twisting my arm), the idea that her brain took the "out of orbit" thing and the heat of the fever and created this dream reality actually made a lot of sense to me.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 am

Midnight Sun is so fucking good. I actually found the ending comforting, after how heavy the episode felt. Dying of cold seems like a better option than an ever growing, eternal summer. Top five for me as well.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:01 am

Yeah, Midnight Sun is really excellent. I don't know what my top 5 would be, but that one would definitely be a strong contender.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 am

Wow! Happy to see the positive reaction, it's not something I'd seen or recalled on all those endless internet lists of top-tier TZ (alongside the usual contenders like "Time Enough at Last" or "Maple Street" or "Real Martian" etc.).

Agreed on the dream logic, Tak, I wasn't too sold on the "it's only a dream" thing immediately, but once you see how directly it ties into what's going on (that it wasn't picked out of a hat), it plays. Also agreed with you Charles; both are grim options, but I'll take the cold over that sweltering heat. Pushing the premise a little further, I'd also rather take the Earth continuing on a lonely frozen sojourn across the universe over it getting baked into ash on the sun's surface.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:29 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 am
Agreed on the dream logic, Tak, I wasn't too sold on the "it's only a dream" thing immediately, but once you see how directly it ties into what's going on (that it wasn't picked out of a hat), it plays.
I don't think that the ending is *necessary*, but I don't mind it. I also think that it gives a one-two punch of "It was only a dream . . . but also reality is just as bad."

I'm not sure what my preferred ending would have been were it not a dream situation (maybe something akin to how Miracle Mile concludes), but like you guys say, that element of relief feels very welcome after all that's come before it, even if it's only fleeting.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:57 am

Finished my rewatch of the Knick. It's perfect and better than whatever you're watching.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Someone pointed me in the direction of Kim's Convenience and I'm kind of loving it.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:57 am
Finished my rewatch of the Knick. It's perfect and better than whatever you're watching.
A couple of years ago, I managed to get my hands on the first 3 or 4 episodes of that :shifty: but couldn't get the rest. Liked what I saw. Should get back to it one day.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Thief wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm
A couple of years ago, I managed to get my hands on the first 3 or 4 episodes of that :shifty: but couldn't get the rest. Liked what I saw. Should get back to it one day.
It’ll be much easier when HBO Max drops, as I believe Cinemax shows will be rolled in. I suspect it’ll catch on at that point. Because it’s fire.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:04 am

Yeah, the Tiger King thing is pleasurably wackadoo.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 am

I'd imagine that there aren't a ton of Drag Race fans in here.

However, it is very interesting to watch the way that the season is being edited.

If you don't know the story: right as the season was about to premiere, allegations came out that one of the contestants had done some incredibly messed up stuff to multiple men--basically creating a whole pretend persona as a casting director and getting desperate actors to film themselves doing sexual and/or demeaning things. The contestant basically admitted to it (in one of the worst non-apologies I've ever read). It's really, really obvious from all of the conversation that this contestant is going to make the very finals of the show. So what to do?

The season is airing, but they are cutting her out of it, and it is both jarring and fascinating. Because this all happened so fast, you can spot places where the frame has been cropped to cut her out of group shots. You can find these interesting little gaps in conversation, with the contestant only popping up when something she has to say is critical to the flow of conversation.

And the thing is, she is FUNNY. So you just know that in the original cut of the season they used a ton of her talking head interviews.

I'm always interested by workarounds in these situations (like in a film when an actor dies or becomes unavailable during filming), and watching it happen week by week is fascinating.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:24 pm

My wife watches Drag Race from time to time, but I'm not sure if she's up to date. I'll ask her. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I've never gotten into it.