The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
wichares

Re: The Television Thread

Post by wichares » Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 am

What We Do in the Shadows Season 1 is a great pleasant surprise. Season 2 so far is even better somehow.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:27 am

wichares wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 am
What We Do in the Shadows Season 1 is a great pleasant surprise. Season 2 so far is even better somehow.
I'll admit that I liked but didn't love the first season (I have strong What We Do in the Shadows brand loyalty!). The second season is a decided step up, especially Gillermo's arc. The dynamic between the vampires and their servants was the one thing I found genuinely upsetting about the film and first season, and I like seeing them play with the power dynamic there.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 am

While the marketing was . . . very dumb, I am several episodes into Upload (an Amazon series) and quite liking it.

Something that you would never extrapolate from the ads (or maybe I just tuned them out and didn't catch it) was that there are both mystery and romance plots that are actually decent.

Robbie Amell holds his own just fine as the central character, but it's Andy Allo as his "tech support" who really shines.

The technological afterlife is well-realized, both in terms of sight gags and the larger implications of what it means for an afterlife to be a commodity.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun May 17, 2020 2:54 am

Hey, Wooley, have you seen the new Rick and Morty episodes? I've only seen 4x06, but I thought it was pretty great. Apparently Harmon and Roiland were listening to the audience reactions on the first batch of episodes and decided to play on that. I thought it was hilarious, for the most part.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 pm

I finished the season of Upload (it's only ten 25-minute episodes).

Overall I would recommend it. Yes, it borrows some beats from that other after-life centered comedy, but it has its own character development and mysteries. Its main strength is probably the excellent supporting cast, especially Zainab Johnson as Nora's inept co-worker.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

I watched the first episode of Ultimate Tag on Hulu and it is dumb fun. Really dumb. Really fun. Some American Gladiator vibes and a wonderfully corny troupe of "expert taggers". Also: it was easy to root for all of the contestants! No forced sob stories. Their background stories were just like "I like running, I thought I'd be good at this tag business." The woman who wins her category happily declares that she's going to "pay some bills". People are good sports.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm

The Mark Hamill episode of What We Do in the Shadows was such a treat!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm
The Mark Hamill episode of What We Do in the Shadows was such a treat!
It is! As good as the Colin Robinson-centric episode is, that one might be my favorite of the season.
The gag where Laszlo couldn't be recognized while his toothpick is in his mouth still makes me laugh.
Last Great Movie Seen
Before Sunrise (Linklater, 1995)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Torgo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 pm
It is! As good as the Colin Robinson-centric episode is, that one might be my favorite of the season.
The gag where Laszlo couldn't be recognized while his toothpick is in his mouth still makes me laugh.
I just enjoyed his sudden (and seemingly genuine) interest in the high school volleyball team.

I also liked that the episode side-stepped the obvious ending (of
having him take the money from the fundraiser and use it to pay his back rent
).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 pm
I just enjoyed his sudden (and seemingly genuine) interest in the high school volleyball team.

I also liked that the episode side-stepped the obvious ending (of
having him take the money from the fundraiser and use it to pay his back rent
).
I kept expecting the punchline to be...
That his debt was just a few dollars as he incurred it a hundred or so years ago.
Still might happen.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm
I kept expecting the punchline to be...
That his debt was just a few dollars as he incurred it a hundred or so years ago.
Still might happen.
Ah, see I was imagining that with interest it might have turned out to be an outrageous sum.

It did seem strange to me that when the first confrontation happens in the yard no one mentioned or asked about the amount of the debt. We'll see.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:37 pm
Ah, see I was imagining that with interest it might have turned out to be an outrageous sum.

It did seem strange to me that when the first confrontation happens in the yard no one mentioned or asked about the amount of the debt. We'll see.
I do love that Nadja and Nandor were like, “Just pay him, Laslo.”
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 am
I do love that Nadja and Nandor were like, “Just pay him, Laslo.”
Nadja is quickly becoming my favorite. Her line delivery; the way she alternates between being the absurd person and being the person annoyed by someone else's absurdity.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 28, 2020 4:28 am

I think Nandor is the only one that hasn’t truly won me over. I don’t dislike him but he never gets me the way the others do.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:28 am
I think Nandor is the only one that hasn’t truly won me over. I don’t dislike him but he never gets me the way the others do.
I think that his character feels off to me because a really critical dynamic of the original film was having a character (Viago) who was more soft-spoken and sensitive. Nandor is maybe the least boisterous of the central three, but a frequent note with is character is his unkind treatment of Guillermo. His character is meant to be this rough-tough warrior, but we don't really get to see that side of him.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 pm

The Great is certainly well-acted and darkly funny.

Elle Fanning really captures a magical mix of unbendable willpower and naivety. Nicholas Hoult's Emperor Peter is, for me at least, actually really frightening. A buffoonish exterior thinly concealing a sadistic sociopath. There's a really solid supporting cast, including Phoebe Fox as Catherine's maid, a former lady of the court who has been demoted to servitude to shame her family.

I'll be interested to see how it shapes up after a few more episodes.

But, man, if you've ever experienced domestic violence or find that content upsetting enter with caution. There's also a lot of casual animal cruelty, which really toes the line for me (though it's always meant to demonstrate the cruelty of Peter's character).