Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Slentert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Slentert wrote:
Yeah, I agree that there was something lacking there. Another slight nitpick of mine is
Her ex boyfriend not returning in the last episode. He seemed to be really important in the beginning of the show, but doesn't even get mentioned in the final.
I didn't mind that so much because
there was so much focus at first on "What did I do to someone else?". But really she needed to figure out her own self-destructive patterns. Her flaking out on her ex was part of the pattern, not actually the THING that she needed to fix. I think that having him in the end would have muddied the waters, because it might have seemed like it was sending
a message that to fix herself, she needed to get with a man and embrace being a surrogate mom. I liked that the ex was written as a decent guy, and I think that overall he comes off well in the series.
But having him be part of her figuring things out would have felt a little like it was suggesting that a romantic/sexual relationship was the key to her happiness. I think that the series wanted to be deeper and more introspective than that.

I will say that the way that they show the ex, the fact that in the different versions she gets closer and closer to being with him (like toward the end wanting to meet the daughter and give her the book), imply to me that they will have a future together.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I didn't mind that so much because
there was so much focus at first on "What did I do to someone else?". But really she needed to figure out her own self-destructive patterns. Her flaking out on her ex was part of the pattern, not actually the THING that she needed to fix. I think that having him in the end would have muddied the waters, because it might have seemed like it was sending
a message that to fix herself, she needed to get with a man and embrace being a surrogate mom. I liked that the ex was written as a decent guy, and I think that overall he comes off well in the series.
But having him be part of her figuring things out would have felt a little like it was suggesting that a romantic/sexual relationship was the key to her happiness. I think that the series wanted to be deeper and more introspective than that.

I will say that the way that they show the ex, the fact that in the different versions she gets closer and closer to being with him (like toward the end wanting to meet the daughter and give her the book), imply to me that they will have a future together.
I see, you make a good point there.
I wasn't really hoping for them two to get together again or something like that, since like you say, her finding happiness isn't about getting a man in her life, but since the writers were trying to wrap things up neatly in that final episode, I found it to be kind of odd that a very important character doesn't return or even get mentioned.
But I just read that the show was pitched as a 3 season-deal, so there's a big chance we will see more of these characters.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't noticed the *MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!*
three Nadias at the end!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 pm

To demonstrate the genius of Documentary Now, I will provide the debut of the new season, a wonderful parody of Wild Wild Country.

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Slentert wrote:My sister is currently watching that Netflix series You. She just finished episode 7 and I watched three of them with her. I barely dare to admit it but I really enjoy it. It is definitely trashy and I guess you can consider it to be problematic, but I have a lot of fun with it.
I think it's wonderful :up:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Is Barry any good?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Rumpled wrote:Is Barry any good?
It gets really good reviews.

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my to-see list. I really like Bill Hader.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 pm

I liked it. Looking forward to season 2.
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Yes. Definitely worth watching. And season one consists of only 8 episodes and those seem to fly by. That's one thing about the show. There's little to no dead weight or filler. Berg and Hader and the rest of the writers were really generous with even the peripheral characters holding their own. And it's good to see Henry Winkler in anything.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Started three shows/seasons yesterday...

Ozark (Season 1) - The premise seems a bit silly/campy, but I liked the overall execution of the first episode. If anything, that last shot of the family looking at the Mississippi river from that cliff felt really stupid.

House of Cards (Season 6) - *sigh* I was really struggling to get back on this. I wasn't a huge fan of some elements of the last season, but I liked the show. Being the completist that I am, I had to finish it, even though I'm dreading the effect all the BTS drama had in it. I really went at it with no expectations, but the first episode was ok, I guess. It's impossible to look at the show without acknowledging what went on, but the writers/directors know it and play off of it.

Stranger Things (Season 2) - First episode was pretty good. Just basic setup, but brought back the same earnest essence that we knew the show for as they let us know where everybody's at.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 am

(mid) Season 9 premiere of The Walking Dead didn't contain any huge surprises. Par for the course. I'm glad they still have Jeffrey Dean Morgan on board. He's one of the few remaining interesting characters left. They killed off a regular of sorts in the cliffhanger but there are so many cast members that people disappear for weeks at a time and often are only reintroduced long enough to be killed off. I'm not sure there's been a momentous death in years. At least one that felt like it mattered. I think they pretty much botched Glenn and Abraham's deaths. They don't really know what the fuck to do with Darryl or Michonne and Carol is once again MIA. Anyway, the new tame Negan and little Judith Grimes were the only bright spots. They'll get a few episodes out of the Whisperers but then what?
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:(mid) Season 9 premiere of The Walking Dead didn't contain any huge surprises. Par for the course. I'm glad they still have Jeffrey Dean Morgan on board. He's one of the few remaining interesting characters left. They killed off a regular of sorts in the cliffhanger but there are so many cast members that people disappear for weeks at a time and often are only reintroduced long enough to be killed off. I'm not sure there's been a momentous death in years. At least one that felt like it mattered. I think they pretty much botched Glenn and Abraham's deaths. They don't really know what the fuck to do with Darryl or Michonne and Carol is once again MIA. Anyway, the new tame Negan and little Judith Grimes were the only bright spots. They'll get a few episodes out of the Whisperers but then what?
I didn't read your write-up cause I wanted to avoid spoilers (don't know if there are any), but I've been ambivalent on jumping back to the show. Haven't seen anything from Season 9 yet. Thought about it yesterday when they had the marathon en route to the mid-season premiere, but other things came up and I really didn't care. What is your take on the first half?
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Thief wrote:What is your take on the first half?
From all appearances they seemed to have jettisoned two troublesome characters. But it's a bad sign when a show's two biggest stars have been painted into a corner due to shitty, uninspired writing. And, as I stated before, the remaining veteran players are more or less in the same boat. The show just doesn't seem to know what to do with them. Part of it was just the sheer number of characters the show had accumulated. But then with each person killed or written off they bring in a whole other batch. Plus the annoying side characters that are given screen time after loitering on the edges for weeks and weeks. I don't know if you followed the show up to the end of season 8 but they killed off a semi regular and Sunday's episode dealt with that (to little or no effect). At this point the show is like a long running soap opera that only the most devoted of fans still give a rat's ass about. It needs a top to bottom retooling and so far it's all a band-aid remedy. At this point it has little to no ties to the comic so I'm not sure what's stopping them. Bottom line is that the show hit it's peak several seasons ago and the Negan/Glenn/Abraham moment was the final nail in the coffin. It'll continue to limp along as long as it generates revenue and then the producers can kick back and rake in that syndication money.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:From all appearances they seemed to have jettisoned two troublesome characters. But it's a bad sign when a show's two biggest stars have been painted into a corner due to shitty, uninspired writing. And, as I stated before, the remaining veteran players are more or less in the same boat. The show just doesn't seem to know what to do with them. Part of it was just the sheer number of characters the show had accumulated. But then with each person killed or written off they bring in a whole other batch. Plus the annoying side characters that are given screen time after loitering on the edges for weeks and weeks. I don't know if you followed the show up to the end of season 8 but they killed off a semi regular and Sunday's episode dealt with that (to little or no effect). At this point the show is like a long running soap opera that only the most devoted of fans still give a rat's ass about. It needs a top to bottom retooling and so far it's all a band-aid remedy. At this point it has little to no ties to the comic so I'm not sure what's stopping them. Bottom line is that the show hit it's peak several seasons ago and the Negan/Glenn/Abraham moment was the final nail in the coffin. It'll continue to limp along as long as it generates revenue and then the producers can kick back and rake in that syndication money.
I stumbled towards the end of season 8, but it was a chore. I agree with all of the things you mention, the "uninspired writing", the excess of characters, not knowing what to do with most of them, the "annoying side characters that are given screen time", the "band-aid remedies" the showrunners seem to be applying... I'm even struggling to remember what "semi-regular" you were referring to, which shows how much I "care" about the show.

There's some morbid curiosity as well as a sense of completion that's slightly taunting me to pick it up again, but it's not that strong. Maybe, maybe not. Meh.
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Thief wrote:I stumbled towards the end of season 8, but it was a chore.... I'm even struggling to remember what "semi-regular" you were referring to, which shows how much I "care" about the show.
It happened during the cemetery scene at the very end.
Jesus got a knife run through him. At this point it's easy to tell which character is going to get killed. If they devote any kind of time to them after having ignored or neglected them for a long spell and they're not a well loved character then they're as good as dead.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 pm

I've watched two episodes of the new Adult Swim series Tigtone, a satire of fantasy RPGs, and while it has its moments, it's only mildly amusing. It reminds me of the short-lived Comedy Central series Moonbeam City, which also satirized a niche genre, i.e. the "Outrun" aesthetic also satirized in Kung Fury. Like that show, the aesthetics are more satisfying than its content and the satire isn't totally successful because it depends too much on tropes it's making fun of to tell its stories. All the same, Moonbeam got better as it went on, so maybe this series does as well.
Last Great Movie Seen
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Torgo wrote:I've watched two episodes of the new Adult Swim series Tigtone, a satire of fantasy RPGs, and while it has its moments, it's only mildly amusing. It reminds me of the short-lived Comedy Central series Moonbeam City, which also satirized a niche genre, i.e. the "Outrun" aesthetic also satirized in Kung Fury. Like that show, the aesthetics are more satisfying than its content and the satire isn't totally successful because it depends too much on tropes it's making fun of to tell its stories. All the same, Moonbeam got better as it went on, so maybe this series does as well.
I've watched maybe four episodes. Not much in the way of progression yet. Have you checked out Tropical Cop Tales?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:I've watched maybe four episodes. Not much in the way of progression yet. Have you checked out Tropical Cop Tales?
I haven't. I see it has a 3.7 rating on IMDb and many 1/10 reviews. Ouch.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 am

Okay, I am about 4 episodes into Bunheads and I am enjoying it. I think that my only real downside is that the dialogue is that style where everyone sounds like they are in a stage play. Sutton Foster is a delight.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 am

Takoma1 wrote: I think that my only real downside is that the dialogue is that style where everyone sounds like they are in a stage play.
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but the Bunheads showrunner was also responsible for Gilmore Girls, which might explain what you're referring to.
(I'm a closet Gilmore fan, but never got around to Bunheads)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 am

Captain Terror wrote: I don't know if this is common knowledge, but the Bunheads showrunner was also responsible for Gilmore Girls, which might explain what you're referring to.
(I'm a closet Gilmore fan, but never got around to Bunheads)
I've probably only seen about 20 minutes total of Gilmore Girls (no offense to the show! It just happened to air when I was at school and didn't have access to television for a few years. Also, generally speaking, I'm not that into dramas), but I'm very aware that this is the "quick banter" style that the creator seems to like. It was a bit much in the first two episodes (like, distractingly not at all how a real human would speak), but they've found a much better balance in the last two episodes where it's still a bit "stagey", but there's a better rhythm to it and several of the actors are settling into it so that the line delivery feels more natural to the characters.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:Okay, I am about 4 episodes into Bunheads and I am enjoying it. I think that my only real downside is that the dialogue is that style where everyone sounds like they are in a stage play. Sutton Foster is a delight.
The only downside to saying that there's anything wrong about any part of Bunheads is that your credibility is gone forever. But, don't worry, I'm sure you can get it back - wait, no, it's gone forever.

I have credibility in this sort of thing. Forget that I said the first two episodes weren't very good, just trust me.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:46 am

Against my better judgment, since it's a conversation that involves one of my favorite shows, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on the whole "Breaking Bad vs. Better Call Saul" debate on the side of the former... with the massive caveat of having seen the entirety of BB multiple times, as opposed to having seen only most of the 1st season of Saul a couple of years ago. Part of the reason that I didn't continue with Saul is just that, around that time, I was beginning to cease completely with following serialized series in favor of focusing more on watching movies, but still, while I felt that what I saw of Saul was pretty good, and a solid foundation for a long-running series (with at least one great episode in that batch), I still found most of what I saw of it to be a bit overly restrained and low-key an experience on the whole, as opposed to the constant grip I felt while watching BB even in just its 1st season (in retrospect, not all of it held up 100% as well the 2nd time around, but that initial run-through still got my craving a binge of every single ep I could get my hands on at the time).

You can probably chalk that up due to my personal preference for media with certain "heightened" styles and sensibilities, as a legacy of Cowboy Bebop being one of the first "adult" shows I ever truly loved (and still one of my favorites to this day) but the argument I've seen that Saul is a better show partly because it's a more subtle drama while Bad was often "just" a thriller, and maybe it tried too hard sometimes to force in too many jolts during its run feels like revisionist history to me; of course, it's possible for any show to try too hard at anything, it's just that I've never felt that Bad was one of them. As a show that's at least partly a thriller, I almost never felt like any single cliffhanger or particularly "exciting" moment on it was just there to shoehorn in any additional thrills, as everything felt very natural, effortless, and near-perfect in that regard, in addition to it being just as amazing on an emotional front (so instead of "just" getting one of the greatest thrillers of all time, we also got one of the greatest dramas at the same time, as far as I'm concerned).

It's like saying Schinder's List is automatically a better example of its particular genre than Raiders Of The Lost Ark because it's a Holocaust drama, while Raiders is "just" an escapist, old school serial-style action-adventure; no, two different works can be equally great in their own individual ways, regardless of whether the respective genres they fall into tends to get more respect than the other. Anyway, even if Saul had become more engaging to me from the point I left off at (which I'd like to think so, since BB got better and better with each new season), at best, it would've ended up tying evenly with Bad for being one of my favorite shows, as, since, while there are shows I like AS MUCH as Breaking Bad, and, while it's not like I think every single microsecond of it was 100% perfect, since no work of art ever is, I've still yet to see anything that I like better than it at all, whether it be Bebop, golden-age Simpsons, or anything else you could hope to name.

/twocents
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Stu wrote:Against my better judgment, since it involves one of my favorite shows, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on the whole "Breaking Bad vs. Better Call Saul" debate on the side of the former... with the admittedly massive caveat of having seen the entirety of BB multiple times, as opposed to having seen only most of the 1st season of Saul a couple of years ago. Part of the reason that I didn't continue with Saul is just that, around that time, I was beginning to cease completely with following serialized series in favor of focusing more on watching movies, but still, while I felt that what I saw of Saul was pretty good, and a solid foundation for a long-running series (with at least one great episode in that batch), I still found most of what I saw of it to be a bit overly restrained and low-key on the whole, as opposed to the constant grip I felt while watching BB even in just its 1st season (in retrospect, not all of it held up 100% as well the 2nd time around, but that initial run-through still got my craving a binge of every single ep I could get my hands on at the time).

You can probably chalk that up due to my personal preference for media with certain "heightened" styles and sensibilities, as a legacy of Cowboy Bebop being one of the first "adult" shows I ever truly loved (and still one of my favorites to this day) but the argument I've seen that Saul is a better show partly because it's a more subtle drama while Bad tried too hard to constantly force in too many over-the-top thrills and jolts in doesn't make much sense to me; of course, it's possible for any show to try too hard at anything, it's just that I've never felt that Bad was one of them. As a show that's at least partly a thriller, I almost never felt like any single cliffhanger or particularly "exciting" moment on it was just there to shoehorn in any additional thrills, as everything felt very natural and effortless in that regard, in addition to it being just as amazing on an emotional front (so instead of "just" getting one of the greatest thrillers of all time, we also got one of the greatest dramas at the same time, as far as I'm concerned). It's like saying Schinder's List is automatically a better example of its particular genre than Raiders Of The Lost Ark because it's a Holocaust drama, while Raiders is "just" an escapist, old school serial-inspired action-adventure; no, two different works can be equally great in their own individual ways, regardless of whether the respective genres they fall into tends to get more respect than the other. Anyway, even if Saul had become more engaging to me from the point I left off at (which I'd like to think so, since BB got better and better with each new season), at best, it would've ended up tying evenly with Bad for being one of my favorite shows, as, since, while there are shows I like AS MUCH as Breaking Bad, and, while it's not like I think every single microsecond of it was 100% perfect, since no work of art ever is, I've still yet to see anything that I like better than it at all, whether it be Bebop, golden-age Simpsons, or anything else you could hope to name.

/twocents
I like/love Saul, but I would say I agree with your overall point; particularly about it being "a bit overly restrained and low-key on the whole". That's not a bad thing, but there are times when I feel it builds up to something, and then fails to deliver a punch equivalent to what it was building up to. I still think it's one of the best shows I'm currently seeing, but as a whole, I think I'll reserve my overall judgment until it ends. Still, as of now, I don't think it's as good as BB.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm still watching BCS out of brand loyalty. it is far from mediocre but man, this show does not need five seasons.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I bailed on wesley snipes The Player... why not just call it Persons of a Betting Interest :roll:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Rumpled wrote:I bailed on wesley snipes The Player... why not just call it Persons of a Betting Interest :roll:
I also bailed pretty quickly. That show really taxed my patience.
Last Great Movie Seen
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 am

The Missing (Season 1) 9/10

The Punisher (season 2) 7/10

The Blacklist (Seasons 2-5) 6/10 Didn't watch every episode as theres only so many times i can bare Spaders "I once played backgammon in geneva with the president of uganda" kinda lines :roll:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Torgo wrote:I also bailed pretty quickly. That show really taxed my patience.
Well done, sir.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am

Rumpled wrote:The Missing (Season 1) 9/10

The Punisher (season 2) 7/10

The Blacklist (Seasons 2-5) 6/10 Didn't watch every episode as theres only so many times i can bare Spaders "I once played backgammon in geneva with the president of uganda" kinda lines :roll:
I couldn't even finish Season 1. Ugh.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:38 am

Started season 1 of One Day at a Time and I am quite enjoying it. Very sitcom, but also I really like the whole cast.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:Started season 1 of One Day at a Time and I am quite enjoying it. Very sitcom, but also I really like the whole cast.
My wife is watching it and she likes it. I think she binged most of it during last week.
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm

I was expecting more from The Ted Bundy Tapes. Through 2 episodes, it's kind of boring. I was expecting a lot more from Joe Berlinger, since the Paradise Lost series features some of the best crime documentaries ever made (particularly the first one). Also loved Brother's Keeper.

The Staircase, which Netflix continued/concluded recently, has much more appeal.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Russian Doll 6/10

Got messy half-way to the point it felt like some episodes were missing (like her young self and her mom stuff) :(
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Rumpled wrote:Russian Doll 6/10

Got messy half-way to the point it felt like some episodes were missing (like her young self and her mom stuff) :(
I loved it, but my one complaint was that the stuff from her past felt unresolved.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I loved it, but my one complaint was that the stuff from her past felt unresolved.
I binged it last night may have nodded off a little and missed how = spoilers
they stopped themselves both having heart faliure?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm

I recently purchased a concert ticket which entitled me to a free month of Hulu. I browsed the listings last night and nothing jumped out at me. What should I catch while I'm in? I don't intend to renew after the trial.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Captain Terror wrote:I recently purchased a concert ticket which entitled me to a free month of Hulu. I browsed the listings last night and nothing jumped out at me. What should I catch while I'm in? I don't intend to renew after the trial.
11/22/63 and Castle Rock are must-sees if you're a Stephen King fan.
Last Great Movie Seen
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Captain Terror wrote:I recently purchased a concert ticket which entitled me to a free month of Hulu. I browsed the listings last night and nothing jumped out at me. What should I catch while I'm in? I don't intend to renew after the trial.
The Handmaid's Tale
Future Man
Superstore
Rick and Morty
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 am

Rumpled wrote:
I binged it last night may have nodded off a little and missed how = spoilers
they stopped themselves both having heart faliure?
So basically the show gets to the point where
both they and their worlds are decaying/destructing. But both characters are moving to a point where they are getting past their original problems (her hang-ups about her mom, his fears of isolation). At the point that they are willing to let go of those things, they are reset into separate timelines.

In the separate timelines, they are each given a chance to redo the original night. So she is able to offer him solace and keep him from committing suicide, and he is able to talk her out of her self-destructive behavior that led to her being hit by the car.

In the end, the timelines merge.

HOWEVER! In the piece that was linked earlier, it's pointed out that while the timelines do come together, there are now multiple versions of her character (two with their backs to the camera and one facing it).
Things I really like on Hulu:

Future Man
Fargo
Black Butler
Over the Garden Wall
The Twilight Zone
In the Flesh
Flesh & Blood (Into the Dark)
Pooka! (Into the Dark)
Moone Boy
Marvel's Agent Carter

I've heard good stuff about:
Shut Eye
Handmaid's Tale
Casual
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am

Takoma1 wrote: Things I really like on Hulu:

Future Man
Fargo
Black Butler
Over the Garden Wall
The Twilight Zone
In the Flesh
Flesh & Blood (Into the Dark)
Pooka! (Into the Dark)
Moone Boy
Marvel's Agent Carter
Fargo is on Hulu?!

(still haven't seen Season 3)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:51 am

Thief wrote:
Fargo is on Hulu?!

(still haven't seen Season 3)
Yep.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Yep.
There goes the rest of my weeknights.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:56 am

Takoma1 wrote: Marvel's Agent Carter
oooh, nice! I missed this when it aired and almost resorted to a blind-buy a couple of times. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses guys, forgot about Handmaid's Tale.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 am

Captain Terror wrote:
oooh, nice! I missed this when it aired and almost resorted to a blind-buy a couple of times. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses guys, forgot about Handmaid's Tale.
For what it's worth, I quite like Hulu as a service. It's really cheap (~$7 per month if you're okay with ads, ~12 per month without ads), and I like having access to shows like Brooklyn-99 and The Good Place as they air. They've also got pretty good backlogs of quite a few shows that I like (such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and an okay movie collection.

They also carry some pretty good animation, like Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers.

They don't churn out as many "originals" as Netflix or Hulu, but by the same token I think that the quality of what they do put out is pretty good.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
For what it's worth, I quite like Hulu as a service. It's really cheap (~$7 per month if you're okay with ads, ~12 per month without ads), and I like having access to shows like Brooklyn-99 and The Good Place as they air. They've also got pretty good backlogs of quite a few shows that I like (such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and an okay movie collection.

They also carry some pretty good animation, like Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers.

They don't churn out as many "originals" as Netflix or Hulu, but by the same token I think that the quality of what they do put out is pretty good.
Dang, they have Buffy too? I'll never finish that in a month. My brother has also recently recommended Hulu to me, but I'm currently subbed to 4 services with the Criterion channel on the horizon so for now Hulu is the odd man out unfortunately. (and my brother's using a friend's login so he's cheating anyway). Maybe one day.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:45 am

Captain Terror wrote: Dang, they have Buffy too? I'll never finish that in a month. My brother has also recently recommended Hulu to me, but I'm currently subbed to 4 services with the Criterion channel on the horizon so for now Hulu is the odd man out unfortunately. (and my brother's using a friend's login so he's cheating anyway). Maybe one day.
Got it.

In terms of deciding what to watch in your free month, I'd recommend using the site JustWatch. Go to the site and click the Hulu button. You can sort by TV or movies.

On a separate note, I'm done with the first episode of Umbrella Academy and am intrigued enough to keep watching.