The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Ace

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Ace » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Thief wrote:
That's what I've heard, and it's actually why I started the show, so I'm aiming for that episode.
I think the episode is called "Turn, Turn, Turn". After that it really kicks off and doesn't let go. You can tell they were kinda hamstrung by what they wanted to do early on.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Thief wrote:
Not yet. I'm more or less halfway through (episode 9). Last one I saw was right after Thor: The Dark World, where the team has to clean up after the mess the aliens left in UK and end up looking for the pieces of an Asgardian staff.
Well then I'm glad I didn't mention a certain something!

There's some game-changing stuff on the near horizon for you that really alters the show's dynamic for the better.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Since we're speaking of the MCU TV shows, any other worth my time? Other than Agent Carter, which I'm pretty sure I'll check...

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Defenders
Inhumans
The Punisher
Runaways
Cloak & Dagger

I know a while ago, a couple of you said that Iron Fist and one of the seasons of Luke Cage were pretty bad. I also haven't heard a lot of good things, or *anything*, about those other lesser known shows (Defenders, Inhumans, Runways, Cloak & Dagger), which maybe leaves only Daredevil, JJ, and The Punisher as worthwhile?
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Thief wrote:Since we're speaking of the MCU TV shows, any other worth my time? Other than Agent Carter, which I'm pretty sure I'll check...

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Defenders
Inhumans
The Punisher
Runaways
Cloak & Dagger

I know a while ago, a couple of you said that Iron Fist and one of the seasons of Luke Cage were pretty bad. I also haven't heard a lot of good things, or *anything*, about those other lesser known shows (Defenders, Inhumans, Runways, Cloak & Dagger), which maybe leaves only Daredevil, JJ, and The Punisher as worthwhile?
I love Daredevil Jessica Jones and Punisher. They’re some of my favorite shows Netflix puts out. Defenders was ok, Iron Fist season 1 isn’t great but gets a little better in 2. Luke Cage is weird. The first half of the first season is great, then dips big time in the second half. Season 2 is overall better but much slower.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Daredevil is great. It's by far the best Marvel show and the only one of consistently high quality.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:11 pm

I've only seen the Netflix offerings but rating them strictly by preference it would be

Daredevil
The Punisher
The Defenders
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

If you somehow have to limit yourself to one then by all means make it Daredevil.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Thief wrote:Since we're speaking of the MCU TV shows, any other worth my time? Other than Agent Carter, which I'm pretty sure I'll check...

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Defenders
Inhumans
The Punisher
Runaways
Cloak & Dagger
I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil (but heard mixed things about the second season and didn't keep watching). I liked the first episode of Jessica Jones, but frankly some of the themes were just too much for me--it's a series I'd like to revisit. I watched two or three episodes of Iron Fist and just wasn't feeling it at all. Runaways was okay, but the first season took a long time to find momentum. I watched most of the first episode of Cloak and Dagger and was finding it really interesting, but just didn't go back to finish it. I think that I was suffering some serious super-hero burnout at the time I came to it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil (but heard mixed things about the second season and didn't keep watching). I liked the first episode of Jessica Jones, but frankly some of the themes were just too much for me--it's a series I'd like to revisit. I watched two or three episodes of Iron Fist and just wasn't feeling it at all. Runaways was okay, but the first season took a long time to find momentum. I watched most of the first episode of Cloak and Dagger and was finding it really interesting, but just didn't go back to finish it. I think that I was suffering some serious super-hero burnout at the time I came to it.
The second season is only "mixed" in that the first half is great and the second half is solid. It's still far better than any other MCU show and any other live action super hero show to an embarrassing degree
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:It's still far better than any other MCU show and any other live action super hero show to an embarrassing degree
Have you seen Legion?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote: Have you seen Legion?
I watched the first episode and liked it a lot. I wouldn't be shocked if it gave Daredevil a run for it's money given that Noah Hawley is behind it. I picked up the season on Blu but I've been terrible about watching shows as of late.

I plan to binge it this summer so I may reassess. I'll add the caveat of "except maybe Legion."
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: The second season is only "mixed" in that the first half is great and the second half is solid. It's still far better than any other MCU show and any other live action super hero show to an embarrassing degree
I heard from both reviews that I read and from two friends that the Elektra plot was poorly handled.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I heard from both reviews that I read and from two friends that the Elektra plot was poorly handled.
In comparison to how it handled Punisher, I'd agree. Compared to virtually any other live action super hero show, the Daredevil movie and the few comics I've read, it did just fine and was well cast with Elodie Yung as Elektra.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: In comparison to how it handled Punisher, I'd agree. Compared to virtually any other live action super hero show, the Daredevil movie and the few comics I've read, it did just fine and was well cast with Elodie Yung as Elektra.
Okay, I might have to go check out the second season.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Okay, I might have to go check out the second season.
Do it! S3 is very good too.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 am

I stopped watching the Netflix shows.
But I really liked Daredevil. I've only seen up to season 2 of that. I stopped after Luke Cage.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:38 am

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:42 am

Ace wrote:I stopped watching the Netflix shows.
But I really liked Daredevil. I've only seen up to season 2 of that. I stopped after Luke Cage.
Skip the other shows and just watch s3.
Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Skip the other shows and just watch s3.
That's what I was going to do. But people say that Defenders is basically Daredevil S2.5
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:32 am

Ace wrote: That's what I was going to do. But people say that Defenders is basically Daredevil S2.5
You can still skip it. Only the first episode really ties into it and you can basically pretend that it’s just him reacting to the end of s2 with no real info lost.

Defenders was bleh. It’s at least short though compared to the other seasons if it’s nagging at you.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Based on what I remember of our previous discussions a long time ago, I think you'll be happy with DD3, because he ditches the costume and is back to the "sweatshirt and scarf-over-the-eyes" look.
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:39 pm

First season of Black Lightning is really good too, probably the best of CW superhero shows and I may like it more than any MCU Netflix show except maybe Jessica Jones Season 1.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Defenders was bleh. It’s at least short though compared to the other seasons if it’s nagging at you.
I obviously liked the show more than you did, but I can see where you're coming from. Even though it ran only 8 episodes (as opposed to the usual 13 for the other shows) it still took it's time to get them all together as a team. But once they did I thought it was pretty satisfying. Just much, much too little of it. So if I had to identify a problem it would be with the actual execution.

And even though I rated it above Jessica Jones it (JJ) was still the superior product. Hers (with the exception of Matt Murdock of course) was a more fully realized character than the rest. But I just felt Patsy Walker was such a weak supporting character that she lowered the overall tone of the show. Anyway, I plan on rewatching JJ, DD and The Defenders someday so maybe it'll change my perception.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Based on what I remember of our previous discussions a long time ago, I think you'll be happy with DD3, because he ditches the costume and is back to the "sweatshirt and scarf-over-the-eyes" look.
Sold.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 am

5 series finales that had their work cut out for them

As someone whose favorite series finale ever will probably always be "Family Meeting" from The Shield, I loved to see all the praise the writer gave it here, but the entire article's worth reading, so check it out!
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am

Stu wrote:5 series finales that had their work cut out for them

As someone whose favorite series finale ever will probably always be "Family Meeting" from The Shield, I loved to see all the praise the writer gave it here, but the entire article's worth reading, so check it out!
I've only seen/finished two of those shows (The Shield and Lost), but I liked those writeups. I'm also on the camp that thinks that "Family Meeting" might be the best series finale ever, and I'm also one of those that was massively frustrated and disappointed by not only Lost's finale, but really, the last 2... maybe 3 seasons.

I really need to catch up with the others.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 am

Thief wrote:I've only seen/finished two of those shows (The Shield and Lost), but I liked those writeups. I'm also on the camp that thinks that "Family Meeting" might be the best series finale ever, and I'm also one of those that was massively frustrated and disappointed by not only Lost's finale, but really, the last 2... maybe 3 seasons.
There's a ton of series I still need to watch, and unfortunately, I pretty much haven't been watching any new shows regularly for a couple of years now, for some reason (maybe I'll get back in the mood someday!), but even acknowledging that, I'm 100% sure that "Family Meeting" is the best finale I've ever seen; the only other one I can think of that could possibly give it any competition would be Star Trek: The Next Generation's "All Good Things...", and even that can't equal the overall level of emotional devastation the other one packs. I mean, The Shield isn't quite my #1 favorite show (though it is ONE of my favorites), but I still can't imagine many ways that "Family Meeting" could've possibly been any greater than it already was.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 am

Stu wrote:There's a ton of series I still need to watch, and unfortunately, I pretty much haven't been watching any new shows regularly for a couple of years now, for some reason (maybe I'll get back in the mood someday!), but even acknowledging that, I'm 100% sure that "Family Meeting" is the best finale I've ever seen; the only other one I can think of that could possibly give it any competition would be Star Trek: The Next Generation's "All Good Things...", and even that can't equal the overall level of emotional devastation the other one packs. I mean, The Shield isn't quite my #1 favorite show (though it is ONE of my favorites), but I still can't imagine many ways that "Family Meeting" could've possibly been any greater than it already was.
It really is. Like the article says, it's impressive not only for its obvious emotional impact, but also for how they managed to wrap up so many subplots in a satisfying, powerful, and organic way in that one episode.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 am

Thief wrote:
It really is. Like the article says, it's impressive not only for its obvious emotional impact, but also for how they managed to wrap up so many subplots in a satisfying, powerful, and organic way in that one episode.
Indeed, and I still get chills everytime I think about that credits montage set to "Long Time Ago"...

:heart:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Six Feet Under and Angel are the only finales that are in the same league as Family Meeting.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:57 pm

I hate Disney so goddamn much.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Evil Prevails

Post by Evil Prevails » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Made in America, y'all.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 am

Sturdy enough premiere for the last season of Game of Thrones. I'm trying to find an upside to there being only five episodes left. Which means there's gonna be a lot of shorthand. Which will bleed off a lot of the gravity and meaning from moments that have been years in the making. That part sucks.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:Sturdy enough premiere for the last season of Game of Thrones. I'm trying to find an upside to there being only five episodes left. Which means there's gonna be a lot of shorthand. Which will bleed off a lot of the gravity and meaning from moments that have been years in the making. That part sucks.
Yeah it’s a little frustrating that they’re not paying things off and resolving conflicts immediately with so few episodes left.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Deschain13 wrote:Yeah it’s a little frustrating that they’re not paying things off and resolving conflicts immediately with so few episodes left.
What do you mean? I was laboring, in my usual way, to say that that is exactly what it seems they're doing. Bran cutting off the introductions and reunions to tell them there's not time. And Sam's scene with John down in the rec room/mausoleum. They seemed rushed. But then with the sometimes glacial pace of previous seasons it might simply be a matter of perspective. I don't know. I wish there more episodes but since I've never read the books (and never will) I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I need to shut my cake hole and be grateful for what we're getting.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:What do you mean? I was laboring, in my usual way, to say that that is exactly what it seems they're doing. Bran cutting off the introductions and reunions to tell them there's not time. And Sam's scene with John down in the rec room/mausoleum. They seemed rushed. But then with the sometimes glacial pace of previous seasons it might simply be a matter of perspective. I don't know. I wish there more episodes but since I've never read the books (and never will) I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I need to shut my cake hole and be grateful for what we're getting.
Yeah they definitely did those things but it feels like there’s still so much story left to tell and so little time to do it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Deschain13 wrote:Yeah they definitely did those things but it feels like there’s still so much story left to tell and so little time to do it.
Exactly. And I had read somewhere that this season's episodes would measure in around 90 or so minutes. I thought last night's clocked in at around an hour but...

"Runtimes for Game of Thrones season eight are:

Winterfell – 54 mins
Episode two – 58 mins
Episode three – 82 minutes
Episode four – 78 minutes
Episode five – 79 minutes
Episode six – 79 minutes"
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 am

Re: Game of Thrones, I thought the first episode was ok. No lows, but also not a lot of highs. But that's how most season premieres work, as they start by putting all the pieces in place and establish where everybody is, so it's not a diss on the show. That said, the fact that there's so few episodes left, like you all said, maybe made me want to have a bit more out of this episode.

To me, the best moment was Daenerys coldly but solemnly telling Sam that she killed his father and brother. That, and maybe that last moment with "the Umber kid". I actually did jump :D
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 am

Ace wrote: I think the episode is called "Turn, Turn, Turn". After that it really kicks off and doesn't let go. You can tell they were kinda hamstrung by what they wanted to do early on.
Ok, I got to this episode yesterday and I have to agree, it was pretty good. The double and triple crosses had me going "huh?" a couple of times, but the one I'm wondering more is...
...about Ward. Him turning really caught me off guard, but I'm not sure if his character's actions during all the season would hold up to close scrutiny after knowing he was a mole all along.

What I'm enjoying more than anything is seeing the arc on the character of Coulson. Clark Gregg really sells the decay in Coulson's trust and beliefs as the season progresses, and how it all crumbles down after this episode. I just finished the episode after, called "Providence", and it really drove that point pretty effectively. Seeing him go from a by-the-book, somewhat uptight and "managerial" man to an aggressive, frustrated, and disappointed man is pretty good.
Anyway, I wanted to wait until I finished the season to write something about it, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the big "twisty" episode. Overall, I've been enjoying the show, although I still maintain that the budget limitations - especially when you contrast it to the films it is directly tied to - drag it down a bit.

I should add that it's been a treat watching Bill Paxton's guest performance. From the first episode he appeared, he energized the show in more ways than one.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Last night's Game of Thrones came off (at least to me) as a shipper's wet dream. Enough plot developments to launch a flotilla of fan fiction. But then according to most of the comments at another site I mostly lurk at it was one of the best episodes in recent memory.
I did love the Ser Brienne part and I found her smile at the end heartbreaking. First thing I thought was, "Aw shit, they're going to kill her off aren't they?" At least that's what it looks like. She and Mormont. And there were way too many mentions of "the Crypt" for it not to end up being a plot twist. The Night King re-animates the dead down there and they start slicing and dicing all the supporting characters. And I wouldn't be surprised if they kill off everyone in line for the throne (including Gendry) and reveal Arya is pregnant with a Stark/Baratheon super baby.
wichares

Post by wichares » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:14 pm

That was the most GoT has ever felt like its old self (in a good way) for a non-battle/event episode since maybe mid-season 6. Both this and last week can be described as filler in term of big picture plot, but this one's focus on deeply felt rumination and shared history between these people makes it feels "character-driven" rather than merely "table-setting" like last week. Now we go into a battle episode (80 minutes!) with deeper attachment and real trepidation for these guys. Really good stuff.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:20 pm

And Barry is humming along nicely. Henry Winkler deserves to win an Emmy or GG. And the twist at the end was superb.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah this week’s Thrones was way better than last week’s. Loved the whole, “calm before the storm” feel of the episode. I could watch these characters drinking around a fire all day. :D
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 am

I agree with what you all said. It felt like the writers giving us this collection of little, "crowd-pleasing" moments between so many characters before it is all taken away. Part of my brain thinks that it shouldn't have worked, but dammit if I didn't enjoy it. In that sense, I feel most of the moments were earned and well executed. If I had to be nitpicky, I think that only 2 or 3 moments missed the mark more or less, most notably Arya/Gendry's sex scene and Tormund's awkward milk story. But the ones that worked? Boy... Sansa running towards Theon and embracing him, that little chat between Sansa and Daenerys, that Brienne scene... you know that more than half of these characters won't make it past the next episode, and that impending sense of dread through all the episode, made for one neat watch.

I feel like I could write a lot more about the episode, but one theme that I felt resonated through all of it was that of "change" and "not change". So many moments played on the idea of things coming full circle (like some characters noted) while also noting how much these characters have changed. So many things change, yet so many things remain the same. The moments between Bran and Jaime ("The things we do for love"), the little reunion between Sam, Edd, and Jon, the conversation between Tyrion and Jaime, swords being passed out, titles being given, acknowledged, or revealed... and yet the same rivalries stil lurk below the surface. Seriously, the more I think of it, the more I like it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 am

Veep was hilarious as usual and Game of Thrones was as epic as expected but holy shit Barry was brilliant tonight.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:24 am

GoT being all epic and stuff. FYI, the Ommegang beers have all been shockingly good and have paired well with the episodes. Tonight's episode was paired with the King in the North stout. It was a chocolatey, bourbon-y stout with an 11%ABV that thoroughly enhanced said epicness of tonight's episode. If you find it at your local specs, it's worth a go or at least a "save it for the finale."
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 am

Plot armor thic AF in the last GoT. It's basically 100% fanfic now. Awesome visuals. We'll give it a pass the same way we gave Return of the Jedi a pass, but there is something missing here. The Death Star MacGuffin
kill the boss and everyone else just falls down, like the monsters in the battle of New York in Avengers
is tired.
More important, the looming all important threat (literal end of the world stuff) is now gone, so the world gets small again. The show was at it's best when we were enjoying the game, but still realizing that none of it really mattered relative to the real threat coming for the whole human race. Now that the NK is out of it, the focus returns to petty interests over the throne. This doesn't really feel right. It's like we somehow survived a nuclear exchange only to get refocused on a presidential election race.