The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Deschain13

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Amazon Prime has some great shows once you get past their terrible terrible titles:

Patriot is a solid spy thriller dark comedy that I think fits in with a lot of elements you all enjoy in movies and TV.

Fleabag is a hailarious and heartbreaking British comedy that told its story in two seasons and is now done.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel...is so fucking good I cannot even begin to tell you.

Good Omens is also solid, if you like Neil Gaiman then it’s more from him.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I started Too Old To Die Young but turned it off after about five minutes. It was during the scene where Miles Teller and his partner are doing a traffic stop. I love Nicolas Windig Refn and I'm going to go back and start it up again and I know he was trying to set a mood or make a point. But why did it look like they were playing out the scene underwater? Or maybe sleepwalking? It's too trivial a point to quibble over at such an early junction and I promise I will start it and finish it. So help me Jeebus.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 am
You know who didn't love the Ghost Rider sequel? Adolf Hitler.
I am genuinely curious on that CNN series. His description doesn't sound promising ("CNN’s odd chronology starts with the Eighties, the favorite era of Boomer nostalgia, when Reagan ruled, not as a conservative political idol, but as a figure of Vanity Fair power elite. The rest comes in haphazard sequence: “The Nineties,” “The 2000s to Today,” “The Seventies,” “The Sixties” and finally “The Golden Age” which only goes back to the 1930s, as if the magnificent silent era never happened.)

I don't take White incredibly seriously, but sometimes I feel almost forced to. Like, for example, I agree with him on how dumb it was for an Ohio college to remove Lillian Gish's name from a campus theater. That shit should be insulting to most film students. I really hate this impulse currently on the Left to rewrite, or even erase, history. Too bad they can't erase Mao, who tried to do the same thing with rather unproductive results during the Cultural Revolution. Kids be stupid, and it accentuates the zen koan that "there are many things which can't be taught but can only be learned".
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 pm
HEEYYY!! :x I've seen several Amazon Prime original series and harped about them here...

Bosch (2015-present) A fairly straightforward, but engaging police thriller/drama. Very mature approach with little flash and bangs, but good script and performances.

The Man in the High Castle (2015-present) I think I gave up mid-season 1. Really good premise, but mediocre writing. I also didn't like the lead girl and her performance.

Mad Dogs (2016) I remember giving some praise to this back when I saw it. Pretty dark thriller that starts on a lighter, comedic tone but ends up doing some interesting genre-bending along the way.

Goliath (2016-present) Solid legal thriller, carried mostly by Billy Bob Thornton's performance. First season is pretty good, second season is weaker and a bit all over the place, but not bad.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (2018-present) I think I posted some of my thoughts on these a couple of weeks ago. First episode was borderline bad, but the show found its footing and ended up being quite solid, albeit formulaic.

Britannia (2018-present) Really solid period show about the Roman empire, celtics, druids, and whatnot. Good production values and direction and some pretty good performances, most notably David Morrissey (The Governor in The Walking Dead)

:P
But you didn't watch any of the Amazon Originals I watched and THAT'S all that matters. 8-)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Somewhere, somebody watched Never Too Young to Die when they meant to watch Too Old to Die Young. At least, I hope so.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm
But you didn't watch any of the Amazon Originals I watched and THAT'S all that matters. 8-)
Well, you watched the wrong ones.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm
Amazon Prime has some great shows once you get past their terrible terrible titles:

Patriot is a solid spy thriller dark comedy that I think fits in with a lot of elements you all enjoy in movies and TV.

Fleabag is a hailarious and heartbreaking British comedy that told its story in two seasons and is now done.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel...is so fucking good I cannot even begin to tell you.

Good Omens is also solid, if you like Neil Gaiman then it’s more from him.
#RIPBunheads
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 pm
Well, you watched the wrong ones.
The fact that your list didn't include Mozart in the Jungle hampers that claim.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Patriot is hard to describe concisely, but I think it's really interesting television and I love the cast.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm
The fact that your list didn't include Mozart in the Jungle hampers that claim.
Dammit!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Well, finally finished up the third and final season of Jessica Jones. Hmmm, I don't know if I can fully recommend it to anyone but the most devout of fans. If you're a casual watcher then just go ahead and pass. There's no getting around the fact that the focus on Trish is ultimately a buzzkill. The character just isn't interesting enough to provide impetus for a season's worth of episodes. The peripheral characters are no great shakes either.

But if you're any kind of completist then there are numerous reasons to get through it. It's the very last chunk of what I feel was once a decent piece of television in the Netflix/Marvel partnership. And despite the usual amount of laborious filler it ultimately does a pretty good job of wrapping the series up. Jessica Jones was a fascinating protagonist (and a very close second to Matt Murdoch). I wish they hadn't canceled this or any of the other Marvel shows.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm
Well, finally finished up the third and final season of Jessica Jones. Hmmm, I don't know if I can fully recommend it to anyone but the most devout of fans. If you're a casual watcher then just go ahead and pass. There's no getting around the fact that the focus on Trish is ultimately a buzzkill. The character just isn't interesting enough to provide impetus for a season's worth of episodes. The peripheral characters are no great shakes either.

But if you're any kind of completist then there are numerous reasons to get through it. It's the very last chunk of what I feel was once a decent piece of television in the Netflix/Marvel partnership. And despite the usual amount of laborious filler it ultimately does a pretty good job of wrapping the series up. Jessica Jones was a fascinating protagonist (and a very close second to Matt Murdoch). I wish they hadn't canceled this or any of the other Marvel shows.
I actually had the opposite experience, in that I thought the Trish stuff was more interesting. After season 1 I found that Jones just became too one-note. I like Ritter in other roles but here she's never allowed to do anything other than mope, which I just found tiresome. I get that she's supposed to be a prickly character, which is fine, just give us some relief here and there. So I found myself looking forward to the Trish parts. (full disclosure: I used to buy Defenders comics a lot when I was a kid, because the Hulk was a member, so there's a nostalgic element for me to see Hellcat doing stuff.)

Don't take this as an argument against your review, however. I agree that the season was mostly just fine and casual viewers can easily skip it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm
I actually had the opposite experience, in that I thought the Trish stuff was more interesting. After season 1 I found that Jones just became too one-note. I like Ritter in other roles but here she's never allowed to do anything other than mope, which I just found tiresome. I get that she's supposed to be a prickly character, which is fine, just give us some relief here and there. So I found myself looking forward to the Trish parts. (full disclosure: I used to buy Defenders comics a lot when I was a kid, because the Hulk was a member, so there's a nostalgic element for me to see Hellcat doing stuff.)

Don't take this as an argument against your review, however. I agree that the season was mostly just fine and casual viewers can easily skip it.
I don't disagree that she might be considered monotonous to some but I think they let her character breathe a little more this season. They showed
her vulnerability with her being injured early on by Salinger and last season had that whole meeting her mother arc.
So their was some growth to be had. I guess what I most like about the show was the overall atmosphere. It felt distinct enough from the other Netflix/Marvel shows and that allowed it to sort of stand apart.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Well, that's a bummer. At the end of season 1, all I wanted was to watch Trish become Hellcat. Unfortunately, they just introduced the idea a lil in season 2, forcing me to wait to see it until season 3 and then the show gets cancelled so I never get my Hellcat, and now you're telling me that they didn't even do a good job with what they DID do with her.
I am de-pressed.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Ok, wait, now maybe Ima watch it.
I too was a fan of The Defenders comic with Hulk and Valkyrie and Doctor Strange and Nighthawk and Hellcat and sometimes The Silver Surfer (is that the most absurdly over-powered team in the history of comics?), and was really excited to get some Hellcat action. Wouldn't have minded if Nighthawk was casually bled into the series as well. So if you're a fan like me and you're sayin' Trish worked for you, then JJ S3, here I come.
And man, I totally agree with you about JJ. I expected to see some real growth from her character in season 2 but there was none, like nothing from s1 moved her needle a millimeter, and that was my biggest disappointment of S2 (other than Trish not fully becoming Hellcat in THAT season).
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:31 pm
Ok, wait, now maybe Ima watch it.
I too was a fan of The Defenders comic with Hulk and Valkyrie and Doctor Strange and Nighthawk and Hellcat and sometimes The Silver Surfer (is that the most absurdly over-powered team in the history of comics?), and was really excited to get some Hellcat action. Wouldn't have minded if Nighthawk was casually bled into the series as well. So if you're a fan like me and you're sayin' Trish worked for you, then JJ S3, here I come.
And man, I totally agree with you about JJ. I expected to see some real growth from her character in season 2 but there was none, like nothing from s1 moved her needle a millimeter, and that was my biggest disappointment of S2 (other than Trish not fully becoming Hellcat in THAT season).
Mind you, I'm not saying "If you liked Hellcat you gotta watch this!" I only meant to say that a previous interest in the character kind of kept me going through an otherwise just-ok season. This is the Netflix version of Hellcat, so her disguise is basically a scarf on the face and she looks a little silly at times if I'm being honest, but I liked that Trish gets impatient with JJ (like me) and decides to take matters into her own hands. So you might enjoy it on that same level. Also the villain is a real bastard which always helps.

Also, I always forget about Nighthawk even though he was the group leader in every issue I had. I'm pretty sure I never saw him outside of Defenders comics, and I know basically nothing about him. Time for some research. Nighthawk movie in MCU Phase 6!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:20 pm

I guess I just missed the boat completely on Trish/Hellcat (mostly the Trish half). I never read the comics so I don't know what that version was like but I found this interpretation super annoying. She came off as more of a clueless interloper and she kept making the same dumb mistakes. I know this was more the case of weak writing because Jessica was cursed with the same problem. But then maybe that's the way they were meant to be written. Imperfect superheroes. "Powered" (like the series called them) individuals with all too human faults and plenty of baggage. So I guess my problem circles back to them having to fill 13 episodes. And that results in them screwing up in the same way over and over and over and then having basically the same conversation over and over etc. This makes it sound like I didn't like it but mostly I really would have loved a tighter and more concise season. Less emphasis on underwhelming side characters and a touch more verisimilitude.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:20 pm
I guess I just missed the boat completely on Trish/Hellcat (mostly the Trish half). I never read the comics so I don't know what that version was like but I found this interpretation super annoying. She came off as more of a clueless interloper and she kept making the same dumb mistakes.
She was a minor character in the comics to be sure. Again, I was there for the Hulk (and my crush on Valkyrie). So it wasn't even about doing a good version of her, just kind of cool that she was there at all. You have to understand that literally the only thing I remember about JJ Season 2 was when Trish caught the cellphone on her foot, because "Yay! Hellcat!" So if that's the attitude I'm bringing to the show I'm gonna be more forgiving. You're not wrong about her being clueless, I was just #TeamTrish from the beginning.
I'm just happy to find another person that watched it. So did you watch every season of every Netflix series? I was starting to think I was the only one to finish them all.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:57 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 pm
Mind you, I'm not saying "If you liked Hellcat you gotta watch this!" I only meant to say that a previous interest in the character kind of kept me going through an otherwise just-ok season. This is the Netflix version of Hellcat, so her disguise is basically a scarf on the face and she looks a little silly at times if I'm being honest, but I liked that Trish gets impatient with JJ (like me) and decides to take matters into her own hands. So you might enjoy it on that same level. Also the villain is a real bastard which always helps.

Also, I always forget about Nighthawk even though he was the group leader in every issue I had. I'm pretty sure I never saw him outside of Defenders comics, and I know basically nothing about him. Time for some research. Nighthawk movie in MCU Phase 6!
Woot!

Also, bummer, I was really hoping to see Trish in a full Hellcat costume, the way DD had one for the end of S1 and what, all of S2 of his series, right?
I did like Hellcat a lot coming up (always loved them red-headed, girls, yes I did). Keep in mind, she was even an Avenger for a while.

"THE MOST FEARSOME NEW MEMBER OF ALL!" Hellz yeah.

As far as her arc in the show, being the popular girl who has everything but wants to be a superhero, well, I think that's pretty consistent with her roots.

Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm
I'm just happy to find another person that watched it. So did you watch every season of every Netflix series? I was starting to think I was the only one to finish them all.
Oh yeah. Watched all of JJ, Daredevil, Luke Cage, The Punisher, The Defenders and even all of Iron Fist.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 am

Also, bummer, I was really hoping to see Trish in a full Hellcat costume,
They do throw us a bone along those lines, but only very briefly!
My all-time favorite Defenders issue was #50, versus the Zodiac. Good times --- http://peerlesspower.blogspot.com/2016/ ... death.html
Oh yeah. Watched all of JJ, Daredevil, Luke Cage, The Punisher, The Defenders and even all of Iron Fist.
Fist bump!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 am

My all-time favorite Defenders issue was #50, versus the Zodiac. Good times --- http://peerlesspower.blogspot.com/2016/ ... death.html
Now with more Moon Knight!
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 am
I am also caught up on all of these things. There’s three of us.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:11 pm
I am also caught up on all of these things. There’s three of us.
I just assumed there'd be more people who had followed them all. What with the overwhelming popularity of the Marvel brand and all. But then I haven't watched Agents of Shield and have no plans to. I still feel special though. And we need names. Names that denote our special "powers". Henceforth I shall be .... "The Procrastinator!".
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:29 pm
I just assumed there'd be more people who had followed them all. What with the overwhelming popularity of the Marvel brand and all. But then I haven't watched Agents of Shield and have no plans to. I still feel special though. And we need names. Names that denote our special "powers". Henceforth I shall be .... "The Procrastinator!".
I fell way behind at one point and then recently just plowed through the remaining seasons in a short span. So that makes me.... The Plowboy?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Dropped out after I finished Daredevil. Still have half a season of LC and the final seasons of JJ and the Punisher waiting. I refuse to watch Iron Fist.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:31 am

So despite my very mixed feelings about Seth McFarlane, The Orville is maybe . . . good?

It's still got a ways to go (thus far every conversation between two female characters has been about a man--with one exception that I can think of in the third episode). But I appreciate the range of characters. The humor tends to be more goofy than offensive, and I think that it has some room for positive growth. It also just . . doesn't go to some of the homophobic or racist places that I associate with the "humor" of something like Family Guy.

To be clear--I'm only on the fifth episode and things have been very up and down to this point. But I feel like the show is growing and I've heard pretty good things about the second season.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am

On a mission to watch every episode of the original Twilight Zone. Through "Dust" (Season 2 Episode 12), which is decent as a story about mercy in relation to capital punishment. What's most interesting is that its overall premise of supernaturalism relating to a public execution comes up later in the series, in a bleaker way, with "I Am the Night - Color Me Black," which I've seen before and loved. "Dust" carries more whimsy and optimism (and some at-times cloying performances) while "Color Me Black" feels... not cynical (I don't think Serling was ever a cynic on this show) but more nuanced, more upset and frustrated.

While not every episode's been a winner, obviously, its naked sentiment and political attitude feel like a balm. I feel like a lot of TV and movies that are "topical" are basically agnostic and throw some references at you to make you think, "Oh, like X." (Exceptions would be shows where such a perspective is baked-in, like Black-ish.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:54 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am
On a mission to watch every episode of the original Twilight Zone. Through "Dust" (Season 2 Episode 12), which is decent as a story about mercy in relation to capital punishment. What's most interesting is that its overall premise of supernaturalism relating to a public execution comes up later in the series, in a bleaker way, with "I Am the Night - Color Me Black," which I've seen before and loved. "Dust" carries more whimsy and optimism (and some at-times cloying performances) while "Color Me Black" feels... not cynical (I don't think Serling was ever a cynic on this show) but more nuanced, more upset and frustrated.

While not every episode's been a winner, obviously, its naked sentiment and political attitude feel like a balm. I feel like a lot of TV and movies that are "topical" are basically agnostic and throw some references at you to make you think, "Oh, like X." (Exceptions would be shows where such a perspective is baked-in, like Black-ish.)
It's a really great show for sure. Anthologies aren't necessarily my favorite sub-genre out there (although, they can hit the spot every now and then), but this show reaches a level which I don't think any of its imitators/influences have quite reached. Even the episodes which aren't great are typically really good at the very least. The only one I can think of which is bad happens to be the last episode of the whole show.

Also, unlike many others, I don't have an issue with the increased runtime of season 4.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 am

I've been binge-watching The Orville over the last few days.

Ya'll might not have any interest in it, and that's fine. I don't think it's a great show, and I don't think that everyone would be a fan.

BUT.

It has been really interesting to watch a show evolve before my eyes. As it begins, the series is like 50% comedy/50% sci-fi drama. And despite the show being presented more as a comedy, its actual strength is its characters, its earnestness, and its storylines. So by the time you get to where I am (about halfway through the second season), the show is more like 10% comedy/90% sci-fi drama.

It's putting out decent action scenes.

It's using CGI to create breathtaking alien landscapes and plot-driving effects.

I'm really interested to see where the show goes for the rest of the season.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:53 pm

Do I have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it?

I haven't seen any Star Trek series and have only seen the new Star Trek films, so...
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Thief wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:53 pm
Do I have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it?

I haven't seen any Star Trek series and have only seen the new Star Trek films, so...
Nope. Several elements of its plotting and visual identity are blatant nostalgia for both the original series and The Next Generation, but if you've seen any mainstream sci-fi, you'll have enough understanding of its tropes to see what they're doing with their story.

I just finished a two-parter from the second season ("Identity" parts 1 & 2), and they were just straight up great television--the action, the drama, the acting, the framing of certain shots.

If you do start it, just be aware that the first season is incredibly uneven. Also be aware, like I said earlier, that the show does eventually get confident enough to get rid of the dumb humor.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm a fan of Jon Cassar, who is one of the directors/producers involved in it (he was very involved in most of 24's run) so I've been wondering whether to eventually jump on it. I'll bump it up on my queue.

As it is right now, I'm waaaaay behind on my *adult* TV watching.

I'm still halfway through Stranger Things 3, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm also halfway through Animal Kingdom, which has been solid so far.

I've only seen the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale, and haven't felt like going back yet.

I also started Daredevil. Saw the first two episodes, liked them, but haven't been able to continue.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of Peppa and Paw Patrol, yay! :( :D
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm about 3 episodes into Jessica Jones S3 and I gotta say, as a huge fan of the first season and someone who enjoyed the second, this is just boring. I honestly can't stay focused on it for an entire episode. There's very little excitement. Very little.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:32 pm
I'm about 3 episodes into Jessica Jones S3 and I gotta say, as a huge fan of the first season and someone who enjoyed the second, this is just boring. I honestly can't stay focused on it for an entire episode. There's very little excitement. Very little.
I don't know if you caught this post of mine from earlier but yours closely mirrors my reaction...
Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 am
I don't know if anyone else has watched the third and final season of Jessica Jones on Netflix but I'm thinking of just going ahead and bailing after three episodes. This is terrible so far. First of all they appear to be making this whole season heavy on Patsy. And I know it's only been three or so hours but most of it has come off like filler. They're also devoting a distressing amount of time to Carrie Anne Moss' character of Jerri Hogarth and her romantic life. Maybe I'll grit my teeth and finish it out through sheer OCD.
It does get better but I don't know if it's to the degree which would make it worth your while to finish it up.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 am

The Stand TV series casts 4 actors, Stephen King to write new ending

https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/01/the-stand- ... ew-ending/
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:36 am

Also TV related...

The latest season of Archer wrapped up last night and from the looks of it the experiment with different settings and genres with Archer in a coma after being shot and apparently drowning at the end of season 7 is over. Showrunner and creator Adam Reed had been on record as saying this would be it's last season and the episode did come off for all the world like a farewell with a closing montage of the show's most memorable moments. But now it's being reported the show has been renewed for an 11th season and that Reed is handing over the showrunner reins to executive producer Casey Willis.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 am

Pen15 is really something.

Jump on that.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:39 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 am

Jump on that.
That show looks real good. The creators and stars were plugging it on Conan a few months ago. Definitely on my list of stuff to get to.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am

Started Fleabag last night. So far, so good.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:36 am
Also TV related...

The latest season of Archer wrapped up last night and from the looks of it the experiment with different settings and genres with Archer in a coma after being shot and apparently drowning at the end of season 7 is over. Showrunner and creator Adam Reed had been on record as saying this would be it's last season and the episode did come off for all the world like a farewell with a closing montage of the show's most memorable moments. But now it's being reported the show has been renewed for an 11th season and that Reed is handing over the showrunner reins to executive producer Casey Willis.
I wish the season had been longer and/or the outer space setting continued for another season. There are so many possibilities for a setting like that, and pardon the outdated reference, but they never got to the fireworks factory. On the whole, it's slightly better than Dreamland, but not as good as Danger Island. Mr. Deadly and Cubert were the only real standout episodes.
Hopefully, Willis's heart will be in the next season more than Reed's was.
Last Great Movie Seen
Summertime (Lean, 1955)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:39 am
That show looks real good. The creators and stars were plugging it on Conan a few months ago. Definitely on my list of stuff to get to.
It's the best portrayal of the adolescent female experience that I've ever seen, in either film or TV form.

While the main tow actors are adults, the middle-school aged actors hold their own. It also manages to do a good job of evoking an era (mid-to-late 90s) without feeling like it's just shoving nostalgia in your face. Sequences like the girls logging onto AIM, or watching a VHS are almost scientific in the way that they are shot. I really dug it.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm
It's the best portrayal of the adolescent female experience that I've ever seen, in either film or TV form.

While the main tow actors are adults, the middle-school aged actors hold their own. It also manages to do a good job of evoking an era (mid-to-late 90s) without feeling like it's just shoving nostalgia in your face. Sequences like the girls logging onto AIM, or watching a VHS are almost scientific in the way that they are shot. I really dug it.
That sounds so good. I get some Broad City vibes from the trailers and with that show having just wrapped up I wonder if this will fill the void. I don’t know if you watched Broad City at all or know how it compares.
A Fake Account

Post by A Fake Account » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:11 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 am

Jump on that.
So if no one else will...

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 pm
That sounds so good. I get some Broad City vibes from the trailers and with that show having just wrapped up I wonder if this will fill the void. I don’t know if you watched Broad City at all or know how it compares.
I watched one episode of it and wasn't vibing with it.

But whenever I tell someone this I always get the same response: *tilt of head* "Really? It seems like the kind of show you'd really love."

So I'll revisit it at some point and get a few episodes under my belt before I make any real judgments.

I think that something I really loved about Pen15 is that there are some moments of cringe, but there are also moments where the girls manage to escape being embarrassed. It's not just a parade of miserable sequences, and the show nicely balances feeling empathy for the girls and recognizing the mistakes they are making and why. And it extends this to the boys on the show, who don't get quite the depth of the main characters, but who are also clearly navigating who they are and who they want to be.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:19 am

Started The Boys.
Like what I've seen so far, interested to see if it makes good on the promise of the first episode (particularly the ending).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:19 am
Started The Boys.
Like what I've seen so far, interested to see if it makes good on the promise of the first episode (particularly the ending).
I read kind of a tepid review of it, and I've got mild superhero fatigue. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after a few more episodes.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Okay. Two episodes in on Too Old To Die Young and uh...I'll go ahead and get the jokes out of the way early. The title obviously refers to whoever manages to sit through this. I kid, I kid. It is s..l..o..w ... m..o..v..i..n..g though. That's for certain. Buttloads of tracking shots. But Refn was given the palette that most directors only dream about. A ten part mini-series in which to not just set a mood and not just world build but to allow the viewer to immerse themselves in that world. Now, it is only two down with eight to go and I may change my opinion but so far I'm getting into it. Viewers of both might consider a lot of this filler on a par with the Marvel/Neflix stuff but hey, at least it's stylish filler.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:19 am
Started The Boys.
I’m 4 episodes in myself and it’s decent so far. Some fun ideas and different angles on superheroes but nothing spectacular. But it’s easy to watch and moves quickly.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm
Okay. Two episodes in on Too Old To Die Young and uh...I'll go ahead and get the jokes out of the way early. The title obviously refers to whoever manages to sit through this. I kid, I kid. It is s..l..o..w ... m..o..v..i..n..g though. That's for certain. Buttloads of tracking shots. But Refn was given the palette that most directors only dream about. A ten part mini-series in which to not just set a mood and not just world build but to allow the viewer to immerse themselves in that world. Now, it is only two down with eight to go and I may change my opinion but so far I'm getting into it. Viewers of both might consider a lot of this filler on a par with the Marvel/Neflix stuff but hey, at least it's stylish filler.
The next stretch of 3-5 are when it really takes off. Well, it's still slow but the narrative pieces start falling together.

It's my favorite season this year and I don't see that changing.