The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: The Television Thread

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 pm
No, not exactly. See, that's one thing I'm not clear on. Why does AP only include the first season of TV shows? I assumed if you wanted more you had to pay extra.
They're there. You just have to search season 2
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm
Or just go to season 1 and if season 2 is available there will be a tab.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Or just go to season 1 and if season 2 is available there will be a tab.
That's definitely in the app and newer streamers and I sometimes forget they did something logical. I often watch on an older smart TV and their interface used to, somehow, be even less intuitive and more terrible.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 pm
No, not exactly. See, that's one thing I'm not clear on. Why does AP only include the first season of TV shows? I assumed if you wanted more you had to pay extra.
I did not know that. Hm. Well, I guess you hook people and then have them pay for your content.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:33 pm

There are some shows on Amazon where some seasons are free and other seasons you have to pay for by episode.

Some shows all of the seasons are free. I think it just depends on what kind of deals they have with the networks. For example, Hannibal, as it was airing, you had to pay for. But the previous seasons were then free. (So seasons 1 and 2 were free while season 3 aired). Just depends on the show.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm
You're right. I watch it on a smart TV, my laptop and I recently downloaded the app for my phone but on the TV the tab is hard to find. Thank you. I was starting to think it was a shameless money grab.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46 pm
You're right. I watch it on a smart TV, my laptop and I recently downloaded the app for my phone but on the TV the tab is hard to find. Thank you. I was starting to think it was a shameless money grab.
All Prime shows are free for prime users. The only shows you have to pay for newer seasons are shows that aren't Prime originals and are currently airing on another network, similar to models that Vudu or iTunes use.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 am
All Prime shows are free for prime users. The only shows you have to pay for newer seasons are shows that aren't Prime originals and are currently airing on another network, similar to models that Vudu or iTunes use.
Yep. It made no sense whatsoever. Not much of an incentive to switch over from Netflix or Hulu. But then I figured it was just another conglomerate screwing people over simply because they could. Anyway, I'm definitely watching season 2 of The Boys.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:01 pm
This is another one I gave up on after an episode or two.
I just saw the first episode. Liked it, but never went back for the rest. Weird cause this is pretty much up my alley (IT). I have it on my queue of "someday", so maybe one day.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Even though Netflix's Derry Girls is not a Stephen King-inspired series about witches who haunt Derry, Maine, I enjoyed it a lot. Instead, it's about a group of friends at a Catholic high school in Derry, Northern Ireland during the Troubles of the '90s. It's up there with What We Do in the Shadows and The Good Place as one of the funniest comedies on TV right now. As much as I like the friends and their camaraderie - easily-triggered mother of the group Clare being my favorite - it's Game of Thrones' Barristan Selmy actor Ian McElhinney as the curmudgeonly grandpa who made me laugh the most, especially whenever he's berating put-upon father Gerry. Speaking of What We Do in the Shadows, the series has its own energy vampire in long-winded Uncle Colm, whose rants recall Abe Simpson's classic "tied an onion to my belt" speech.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 am

Pen15 is really good. Like really good. And very authentic. I can’t attest to being female but that’s exactly what being 13 in the year 2000 was like.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm halfway through Season 1 of Daredevil and I think it's really good. Vincent D'Onofrio kills it as Kingpin.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Thief wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:24 pm
I'm halfway through Season 1 of Daredevil and I think it's really good. Vincent D'Onofrio kills it as Kingpin.
Truth.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 am
Pen15 is really good. Like really good. And very authentic. I can’t attest to being female but that’s exactly what being 13 in the year 2000 was like.
I believe I wrote about it a few pages back and, yes, it is really good.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Okay, I've only seen one trailer and read one (glowing) paragraph of a review of it, but I'm getting kind of excited for Undone, the new series on Amazon.

Anyone in here watched it (in part or in whole) yet?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm
Here's the trailer for Netflix's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which comes out this weekend.
Chicago Sun-Times gives it high praise, so I'm optimistic.

So is anyone watching this. Because I think I love it.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm
So is anyone watching this. Because I think I love it.
I've been too scared! Look at that goddamn demon bird!

Seriously though, I've been very pleased with the reviews, but reflexively skeptical. I've been burned before, too many times. I want to believe. I don't want to be hurt again by the hype. Dark Crystal is a very special property for me. Please please please don't salt this soil.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 am
I've been too scared! Look at that goddamn demon bird!

Seriously though, I've been very pleased with the reviews, but reflexively skeptical. I've been burned before, too many times. I want to believe. I don't want to be hurt again by the hype. Dark Crystal is a very special property for me. Please please please don't salt this soil.
I was initially skeptical. I thought it was inevitable to get fucked up. But the girl who suggested I check it out considers Dark Crystal to be her defining childhood movie, and when she was sure I would appreciate it, I gave it a shot. The first episode is good (even though there were a few scenes that didn't so seamlessly incorporate the CGI). But it only becomes better as it goes along. I've still got three episodes left, so who knows how it lands, but this friend of mine says they nail it, and this has made me uncharacteristically optimistic.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 am

My sister and I are planning a weekend to watch the new Dark Crystal show. It's a treasured property for me, but I'm confident at this point that I'll like what they do.

I just watched the first episode of Workin' Moms and laughed so hard. It is so true to the things I hear from my friends who have young children and go back to work.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 am

Rewatching Sense8's first season because it's been a while and I never got around to the second season and would like to check it out. (I love the Wachowskis.) Forgot how much I like the show. Also had a weirdly personal reaction to the scene where kids bully Nomi (the transgender character) in a shower. Got bullied in the showers a lot when I was young, didn't realize until the scene was almost over that I was crying (I thought this was a thing that happened in hacky novels-- "He didn't even notice that he was crying"). Sometimes you forget how absolutely shitty kids can be.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 am

And yeah, wanna check out the Dark Crystal show, despite never engaging with the original film outside its production design (even as a kid).
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 am
Rewatching Sense8's first season because it's been a while and I never got around to the second season and would like to check it out. (I love the Wachowskis.) Forgot how much I like the show. Also had a weirdly personal reaction to the scene where kids bully Nomi (the transgender character) in a shower. Got bullied in the showers a lot when I was young, didn't realize until the scene was almost over that I was crying (I thought this was a thing that happened in hacky novels-- "He didn't even notice that he was crying"). Sometimes you forget how absolutely shitty kids can be.
I need to revisit the series. I went into it watching it too fast (I think I watched like the first four episodes in a day or two) and got overwhelmed and just stopped.

But, yeah, there's a lot of good stuff there. Even if as I was watching I was like "Are they going to be able to pull this all together by the end?".
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm really enjoying Netflix's Unbelievable, a crime miniseries based on a real hunt for a serial rapist who operated in multiple states. Like Zodiac, it not only details the investigation, but also the toll it takes on the police, the victims and their personal and professional relationships. The most notable victim is Marie (the excellent Kaitlyn Dever from Justified and Booksmart), who is forced to claim she made everything up due to the police's insufficient and unsympathetic rape investigation techniques. It has one of the strongest casts I've seen in a while; in addition to Devers, it has Danielle MacDonald, Bridget Everett, Merritt Wever and Toni Collette, all of whom are very good. Also, don't let the subject matter keep you from giving it a chance: it manages to present it in a tasteful, mature way without discounting how horrifying it is.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm four episodes into Dark Crystal, and while I like it, I wish they'd tone down the imagery showing how disgusting the Skeksis are. They're gross and evil. We get it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:24 am

This first episode of Undone is SO PROMISING. I really hope the rest of the series lives up to it.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:16 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:24 am
This first episode of Undone is SO PROMISING. I really hope the rest of the series lives up to it.
You realize the entire season is available to stream, right? And you posted without bingeing the entire season?

I don't even know what to say. I didn't think that happened anymore. Are you faking like you haven't watched the entire season because you don't want people to think you're that kind of person? Be honest.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:16 am
You realize the entire season is available to stream, right? And you posted without bingeing the entire season?

I don't even know what to say. I didn't think that happened anymore. Are you faking like you haven't watched the entire season because you don't want people to think you're that kind of person? Be honest.
I have to get up early in the morning for work, so a whole-season binge was not an option last night.

I told myself I'd watch ten minutes of the first episode and then ended up watching the first two episodes.

But I can already tell I'll be done with the whole season by the end of the week and will definitely be rewatching it pretty quickly on the heels of finishing it.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 pm
I have to get up early in the morning for work, so a whole-season binge was not an option last night.

I told myself I'd watch ten minutes of the first episode and then ended up watching the first two episodes.

But I can already tell I'll be done with the whole season by the end of the week and will definitely be rewatching it pretty quickly on the heels of finishing it.
The truth comes out!

I don't know when the last time I watched only one episode of a show is. Seems like ancient history.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 am

I move at the speed of one TV episode every two days to one week. Once in a very great while "binge mode" will activate.
NOTE:
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:43 am

I watch as many episodes of a show in a night that would equal to one film. So 90-120 minutes worth usually. Anymore than that the episodes start to blend together and I can’t remember them as well.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 am

Torgo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm four episodes into Dark Crystal, and while I like it, I wish they'd tone down the imagery showing how disgusting the Skeksis are. They're gross and evil. We get it.
Sometimes gross is important.

I'm all for it.

Fuck those fucking Skeksis.

And everyone of their many boogers.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:43 am
I watch as many episodes of a show in a night that would equal to one film. So 90-120 minutes worth usually. Anymore than that the episodes start to blend together and I can’t remember them as well.
Me too. At least the majority of the time. Every once in a while I'm really dialed in or maybe just in the mood and I'll watch a handful but I don't like feeling like it's something I have to get through. I want to take the time to enjoy it. I don't get the people who claim they're "multi-tasking" while they sit there pecking away at their phones or yakking. They're not really bothering to pay attention to what's happening onscreen.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Criminal, an interrogation room procedural debuting on Netflix tomorrow, has potential. Firstly, David Tennant is in it.

Last Great Movie Seen
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 am

Giggity.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 pm

I have faith in Vince, I have faith in Vince...
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:35 am

I'm enjoying the second season of Disenchanted.

It's second-tier television, to be sure, but I get at least a few genuine laughs out of each episode.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Give it to me now...

lightroombah

I wanted to thank you

Post by lightroombah » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:36 am

Adobe Lightroom is the most conventional personification editing software in compensation photographers, with hundreds of thousands of effects and presets at one's fingertips on the internet.

You can download Lightroom from Adobe’s website.

Adobe Lightroom presets supporter you to crop your photos in relate term past doing a part of the production after you. You can unaffectedly try away from a pre-defined effect, while keeping your original aspect and reverting recoil from to it at anytime.

You can use:
Lightroom Presets for Wedding Photography
Lightroom Presets for Baby and Family Photography
Lightroom Presets for Headshots
Lightroom Presets for Senior Portraits
Lightroom Presets for Landscape
Lightroom Presets for Nature Photography
Lightroom Presets for Food Photography
Lightroom Presets for Car Photography
Lightroom Presets for Real Estate
Lightroom Presets for Product and Fashion Photography

And a Adding JPG overlay
for everyday shooting.

Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:35 am
I'm enjoying the second season of Disenchanted.

It's second-tier television, to be sure, but I get at least a few genuine laughs out of each episode.
Same here. Its laughs are lower key than peak Simpons or Futurama, but it's consistently pretty funny and I like how the jokes are woven into the worldbuilding.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 am

Rock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 am
Same here. Its laughs are lower key than peak Simpons or Futurama, but it's consistently pretty funny and I like how the jokes are woven into the worldbuilding.
The second season was stronger overall than the first, and I hope that the third season continues that growth.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:35 pm

And speaking of Lodge 49 (in another thread) this past week's episode was one of the shows best. This season so far has been a little bit of a set up or a delving deeper for most of the characters and maybe some viewers have watched and been turned off or lost interest. But it's taking the time to establish the lives of all the folks in the Long Beach community and the way the closing of the fictional aeronautics plant has impacted their lives. I really believe that if you're watching and stick with it, that the show will be all the better because of it. As it is this latest episode was contemplative and affecting and allowed the two central characters, played by Wyatt Russell and Brent Jennings, to really shine. It makes me glad that I started watching it. I really hope AMC doesn't cancel it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 pm

I suppose Preacher is a non-starter around here since there's been zero talk about the series finale but I'll go ahead and weigh in. It wasn't bad. I mean, they did employ the
flash forward in this case 40 years into the future where (who I assumed was) Tulip is standing at Jesse's graveside. But then she hasn't aged a bit, outside of her hair being longer. Turns out it's their daughter. Cassidy shows up and she asks why he never came back and visited them. But then unrequited love and all that. At the end she asks him if they'll ever see him again and he replies, "Jaysis, I hope so." Then he hangs his umbrella somewhere and walks out unprotected into the sunlight, catches fire and strolls off screen. Not a bad ending I suppose.

Oh and they avert the apocalypse of course. The real Jesus fights Hitler and kills him. Cassidy shoots and kills Humperdoo so God tries to recruit real Jesus to trigger the Apocalypse but RJ turns him down. God once again pulls a disappearing act and roars away on his hog so Jesse sics the Grail on God and they finally track him down two years later in San Antonio where he's parked his RV in front the Alamo. They commune and God absolves Jesse of the weight and overwhelming guilt he's been carrying about his father. At the end of it Jesse calls God a needy bitch and punches him out. He purges himself of Genesis and leaves God to lose his shit and choke out humanity's replacements that he's been breeding and keeping in cages in his RV. The Saint of Killers shows up in Heaven and braces God in his throne room. He chooses an eternity of hate over love, guns God down and assumes the throne. Oh and as far as Eugene goes they throw his character's story arc a meager bone not even worth mentioning. The End.

Not a bad finale overall. Negga and Gilgun were exceptional. Dominic Cooper was okay.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 pm

You guys keep promising me passports to all these countries, but you never deliver on it. It's no fair!
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Maybe this is the moment. We can all get a group deal, go visit Slentert in Belgium.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 pm
Maybe this is the moment. We can all get a group deal, go visit Slentert in Belgium.
I'm down for it. Can we also go to Antarctica afterwards? I want to see the penguins.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm

Antarctica is not on the list, Pop. You're trying to take advantage of good old Agostos, you weasel.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

True, true. Hopefully, I didn't just ruin our chance.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Anyone else watch Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal? No dialogue but there's still meaning and affectivity to it's story.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am

While looking up Primal on IMDB, I found this:

<Nicolas Cage voice> By hunting the animal, I've become the animal. I've become...primal.
Last Great Movie Seen