The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Smoke Bomb

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:26 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm late to the party, but I'm halfway into I Think You Should Leave on Netflix, and so far, it's hilarious. It's so nice to have a decent sketch show available now that Key & Peele is off the air. Not all of the sketches hit the mark - the ones that are too scatalogical aren't my favorite - but when it's good, it's very good.
Check out Tim Robinson’s episode of “The Characters” it essentially functions as the pilot episode of “I Think You Should Leave”
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:04 pm
I doing the best at this.
You have to figure out what Torgo does before you come out here.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 am

Big Mouth = the best
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:01 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 am
Big Mouth = the best
It really is fantastic.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:44 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 am
Big Mouth = the best
That show is fucking hilarious.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:18 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm late to the party, but I'm halfway into I Think You Should Leave on Netflix, and so far, it's hilarious. It's so nice to have a decent sketch show available now that Key & Peele is off the air. Not all of the sketches hit the mark - the ones that are too scatalogical aren't my favorite - but when it's good, it's very good.
The sketch where they're pitching the car ideas had me howling with laughter. I was expecting mostly intentionally awkward, cringe comedy, but was delighted at how much goofiness there also was (like the motorcycle people come down to Earth--that was this show, right?).
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:18 am
The sketch where they're pitching the car ideas had me howling with laughter. I was expecting mostly intentionally awkward, cringe comedy, but was delighted at how much goofiness there also was (like the motorcycle people come down to Earth--that was this show, right?).
Yes!
Those sketches, the "honk if you're horny" sketch and the YouTube sketch (which I can relate to because I'm usually the only one who finds the videos I suggest funny) were my favorites. It's definitely a sketch show that has its pulse on current trends, but thankfully without feeling like it's pandering.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Finally finished up Ken Burns' eight part, sixteen and a half hour docuseries Country Music. This being Burns it's exhaustively and meticulously researched and I suppose targeted at either hardcore fans of the country music genre or of Burns himself. It starts out a little slow but hits it's stride around episode three and then loses a little steam around episode seven before closing out on a wistful and ultimately uplifting conclusion. If you grew up listening to old school country then you'll find this an eloquent and at times moving acclamation of an art form that can truly claim to be a quintessential American creation.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:00 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:27 pm
Finally finished up Ken Burns' eight part, sixteen and a half hour docuseries Country Music. This being Burns it's exhaustively and meticulously researched and I suppose targeted at either hardcore fans of the country music genre or of Burns himself. It starts out a little slow but hits it's stride around episode three and then loses a little steam around episode seven before closing out on a wistful and ultimately uplifting conclusion. If you grew up listening to old school country then you'll find this an eloquent and at times moving acclamation of an art form that can truly claim to be a quintessential American creation.
Would you say it's good for someone who doesn't know much about country music?
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:00 am
Would you say it's good for someone who doesn't know much about country music?
Yes actually. It helps if you're into history though. At the very beginning it breaks down all the influences and events that shaped and helped bring what would eventually become country music into being. So they just don't jump into it. They take their time setting it up. Some might find that part dry but it was an integral part of the whole.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 am
Yes actually. It helps if you're into history though. At the very beginning it breaks down all the influences and events that shaped and helped bring what would eventually become country music into being. So they just don't jump into it. They take their time setting it up. Some might find that part dry but it was an integral part of the whole.
Okay, thanks. I do really like history and learning how it percolates into the culture of the time. I'm so far behind on new television that I wasn't even aware that Ken Burns Country Music was a thing.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Okay, thanks. I do really like history and learning how it percolates into the culture of the time. I'm so far behind on new television that I wasn't even aware that Ken Burns Country Music was a thing.
I wouldn't blame anyone for being hesitant about starting this. It is a major undertaking. I watched part 1 and then took a long, long break before getting back into it. And I totally got it wrong when I said it was targeted specifically at hardcore CM fans. That was a simpleminded take on my part. Like all of Burns' projects it's primarily instructional so it's also tailor made for people who might be unfamiliar with the subject. I learned a lot and now I'd really like to screen his docs on WWII and the Vietnam war.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:21 pm
I wouldn't blame anyone for being hesitant about starting this. It is a major undertaking. I watched part 1 and then took a long, long break before getting back into it. And I totally got it wrong when I said it was targeted specifically at hardcore CM fans. That was a simpleminded take on my part. Like all of Burns' projects it's primarily instructional so it's also tailor made for people who might be unfamiliar with the subject. I learned a lot and now I'd really like to screen his docs on WWII and the Vietnam war.
I know what you mean, though. His work is often both a vast primer AND a deep dive into whatever topic he tackles.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:42 pm

The Boba Fett Show is well-made and all that but it is still basically well-made comfort food. which is probably why so many Star Wars fans are eating it up.

if I were <13 years old I'm sure I'd love the hell out of it.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm

During the last 2-3 weeks, Twitter has been brimming with praise towards Watchmen, so I'm wondering if I should check it out. I've never been a huge comic-book fan nor have I seen the Snyder film, but someone suggested I should see that film first (even though they are not related). Any thoughts here?
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm
During the last 2-3 weeks, Twitter has been brimming with praise towards Watchmen, so I'm wondering if I should check it out. I've never been a huge comic-book fan nor have I seen the Snyder film, but someone suggested I should see that film first (even though they are not related). Any thoughts here?
I kvetched about it but have still been watching. You should check it out. I may not be as enraptured as some of the critics but it's still more interesting than most of what passes as watchable TV these days. But then *gratuitous spoiler alert*
(and depending on how they proceed from it) last night's major reveal
could turn out to be more of the same from Lindelof. The show's worth checking out though.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm
I kvetched about it but have still been watching. You should check it out. I may not be as enraptured as some of the critics but it's still more interesting than most of what passes as watchable TV these days. But then *gratuitous spoiler alert*
(and depending on how they proceed from it) last night's major reveal
could turn out to be more of the same from Lindelof. The show's worth checking out though.
Oh, the show is from Lindelof? :-|

I will probably check it out anyway, but I might check the Snyder film first.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Please please PLEASE do not watch Snyder's Watchman without reading the comic first. It's not a matter of being a comic fan or not
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm
Please please PLEASE do not watch Snyder's Watchman without reading the comic first. It's not a matter of being a comic fan or not
Is it accessible online? How long is it?

EDIT: Is this the one?
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm
Is it accessible online? How long is it?

EDIT: Is this the one?
That's the one, I believe it's available for free via Kindle Unlimited as well. It's 416 pages long so quite the commitment
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm
That's the one, I believe it's available for free via Kindle Unlimited as well. It's 416 pages long so quite the commitment
Ahh, then I'll check it up on my Kindle when I get home. It should be easier to read.
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 am

I hated the first episode of Watchmen (read a page or two back), but it's significantly improved since then. It's actually managed to win me over.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:47 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 am
I hated the first episode of Watchmen (read a page or two back), but it's significantly improved since then. It's actually managed to win me over.
Hmmmm
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 am

Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm
Just wanted to let you know... I've read the first two chapters and I'm enjoying it so far. I love how it takes some jabs at the comic-book/superhero tropes while also reveling in the genre at the same time. One thing's for sure, this comic book and how the plot unfolds, it's begging for an adaptation. It's pretty much a script and storyboard already done.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm
One thing's for sure, this comic book and how the plot unfolds, it's begging for an adaptation. It's pretty much a script and storyboard already done.
Alan Moore would disagree, and while I think Snyder did an admirable job at times you can easily see Moore's arguments unfold as to why his work is un-adaptable. It's a matter of how much information is embedded in each panel. Moore scripts his work more thoroughly than any other comic writer, often spanning a half page in description for a single panel for his artists to work with. That information is lost when his work is adapted, the symbiotic relationship between author and artist which is often lost on most readers because samples of Moore's scripting is hard to come by. That secret world of subtext makes his comics spring to life, they are all so dense with information and without that information at hand, as it belongs between Moore and Gibbons, adaptation becomes a matter of skimming what's entirely on the surface... the images, the dialog, the structure... it's not enough, so it leaves that information to the adapting artist's subjectivity. Snyder's Watchmen is Snyder's Watchmen, his being manifests the subtext and becomes an entirely different story based on his interpretation. It's one which reveals some troubling elements about Snyder himself, as if the act of adapting Watchmen is a trap meant to ensnare those who dare temper with it's immaculate thread
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Haven't seen the Watchmen show yet, and I've said this before regarding Snyder's movie, but it bears repeating that, if it wasn't already obvious up to that point (though it was), it was clear that he was the wrong person for the job, and that he missed the comic's whole point of de-glamorizing the Superhero genre as a whole, when he somehow turned one panel worth of this...

...into two whole minutes of this: