The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
DaMU

Re: The Television Thread

Post by DaMU » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 pm

We're fixing a few stray episodes of Designing Women at work, and, uh... I'm gettin' a big crush on Annie Potts.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 pm
We're fixing a few stray episodes of Designing Women
Well, it is the best way to keep them from breeding. You end up with little episode everywhere, unvaccinated, feral.

I haven't watched Designing Women in probably 25 years. I remember watching it in syndication when I was younger, but it never struck me as something I wanted to revisit.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Finished up season 2 of Lost In Space. It improves on season 1 with almost nonstop action and the Robinson family in seemingly never ending peril. But there are still slower paced moments mostly dealing with the family dynamic. Parker Posey still shines as the treacherous Dr. Smith but her character isn't the typical one dimensional villain. She is allowed numerous moments of empathy and vulnerability that make her
supposed end all the more affecting.
The production values and the effects are eye popping. It certainly looks like one of the most expensive shows on television right now. The characters have jelled and with a little more tinkering with the writing this could turn out to be a hidden gem. I'm anxious to see where they take this steadily improving show in season 3.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm
Finished up season 2 of Lost In Space. It improves on season 1 with almost nonstop action and the Robinson family in seemingly never ending peril. But there are still slower paced moments mostly dealing with the family dynamic. Parker Posey still shines as the treacherous Dr. Smith but her character isn't the typical one dimensional villain. She is allowed numerous moments of empathy and vulnerability that make her
supposed end all the more affecting.
The production values and the effects are eye popping. It certainly looks like one of the most expensive shows on television right now. The characters have jelled and with a little more tinkering with the writing this could turn out to be a hidden gem. I'm anxious to see where they take this steadily improving show in season 3.
My wife started season 1 of Lost in Space about a week ago and said she was liking it so far. Maybe I'll pick up on that.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Also, my apologies for once again bringing the Watchmen graphic novel, but I just finished Chapter XI and wow, I wasn't expecting that.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm
Also, my apologies for once again bringing the Watchmen graphic novel, but I just finished Chapter XI and wow, I wasn't expecting that.
I'm also currently reading it. I'm on chapter 7 or 8, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I couldn't wait to read the last chapter, so I finished it last night. It's certainly an impressive read, not necessarily in terms of the overall story, but more in terms of the scope, the depth it manages to give its characters, the overall design of the panels, which I had mentioned before. I'm already planning a second read to maybe catch up on things I might've missed.

Now, a question to anyone familiar... considering I liked the graphic novel, what should I expect when I watch Snyder's film or the new TV show?
undinum

Post by undinum » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Why would you want to know what to expect?
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm

undinum wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Why would you want to know what to expect?
Not looking for a rundown, but rather a general idea of what people thought of both. Good, bad, whatever.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Not looking for a rundown, but rather a general idea of what people thought of both. Good, bad, whatever.
Snyder makes one major change, and I think I'm the only person that prefers Snyder's choice. I won't say anything else until you've seen it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm
My wife started season 1 of Lost in Space about a week ago and said she was liking it so far. Maybe I'll pick up on that.
I think it's worthy of giving it a shot. There are no glaring deficiencies. To me the characters started off as more of a bunch of strangers randomly thrown together instead of an actual family but maybe that was intentional on the part of the writers. Clunky but intentional. You may or may not find some of them annoying but it's not really a deal breaker or anything.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Season 3 of Mindhunter is in doubt

That's too bad, especially since season 2 suggested that the next season will be amazing. Nothing's set in stone yet, but with this news and other disappointing cancellations like Tuca & Bertie, Netflix's lack of follow-through lately makes me hesitant to commit to their original series. While I applaud the company for hiring visionaries and mavericks like David Fincher and Martin Scorsese, they're not the kind of people who like to spend too much of their time on the same project.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm
and I think I'm the only person that prefers Snyder's choice.
Hopefully
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm
Now, a question to anyone familiar... considering I liked the graphic novel, what should I expect when I watch Snyder's film or the new TV show?
Regarding Snyder's adaptation, expect... a couple of extremely lousy performances (Laurie and Dan are the primary offenders), a couple of great performances (Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach), an admirable attempt at emulating the comic's aesthetic, a few major tonal alterations to the comic's violence, and... the change. Some people liked... the change. They are, of course, abhorrently wrong about everything
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

That's too bad, especially since season 2 suggested that the next season will be amazing. Nothing's set in stone yet, but with this news and other disappointing cancellations like Tuca & Bertie, Netflix's lack of follow-through lately makes me hesitant to commit to their original series. While I applaud the company for hiring visionaries and mavericks like David Fincher and Martin Scorsese, they're not the kind of people who like to spend too much of their time on the same project.
Stolen from the internet:

By the end of the second or third season, the fan base for a given show has likely stagnated and stopped growing. Therefore, it is a better use of Netflix's money to invest in a new show that could hook new viewers than to keep servicing that same established audience again and again. As heartbreaking as it is, this is believed to be one of the philosophies behind the companies allocation of funds.

Depressing, but not really surprising.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Stolen from the internet:

By the end of the second or third season, the fan base for a given show has likely stagnated and stopped growing. Therefore, it is a better use of Netflix's money to invest in a new show that could hook new viewers than to keep servicing that same established audience again and again. As heartbreaking as it is, this is believed to be one of the philosophies behind the companies allocation of funds.

Depressing, but not really surprising.
That is such a cynical horseshit take on being a television provider.

"Fuck any kind of commitment to the audiences we built, we have more audiences to build"

I'm happy that I've never given them a nickel.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm
Regarding Snyder's adaptation, expect... a couple of extremely lousy performances (Laurie and Dan are the primary offenders), a couple of great performances (Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach), an admirable attempt at emulating the comic's aesthetic, a few major tonal alterations to the comic's violence, and... the change. Some people liked... the change. They are, of course, abhorrently wrong about everything
Hmm, that's surprising. Patrick Wilson is usually a dependable/competent actor. Anyway, I have plans of checking it out this month. I also started a second read of the comic, two chapters in already, so I can soak up on minor details I might've missed.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

I sorta understand Netflix' reasoning of letting the cast members "free" until Fincher can come back, but I really hope he does. I read that his original goal was 5 seasons and they've been building up several subplots that I wish I can see to the end.

If it's any consolation, filming of Mank began last year, so maybe Fincher can wrap this up and get back to the show.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Thief wrote:
I couldn't wait to read the last chapter, so I finished it last night. It's certainly an impressive read, not necessarily in terms of the overall story, but more in terms of the scope, the depth it manages to give its characters, the overall design of the panels, which I had mentioned before. I'm already planning a second read to maybe catch up on things I might've missed.

Snyder's film is about as honorable as a single-film adaptation could be, which is: kinda. Some good choices, some bad, the increased focus on violence is disappointing but inevitable, as is a late-breaking story change. I'd go further than other posters and say that along with Haley and Crudup, Morgan and Wilson are also good within their roles. (Frewer as Moloch, too.)

I stopped watching the show after four episodes. Something about it wasn't agreeing with me. I think it was Lindelof's need to place everything within the context of elliptical, mysterious revelation. Watchmen the comic had one central mystery at its core IIRC (the identity of the mask killer, which transitions into the conspiracy) while characters are developed with relative straightforwardness and clarity. The show just piled on one goddamn thing after the other, though, and it furthers the Abrams Graduating Class obsession with "what is my heritage."
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm

I hate to bear more bad TV news, but...

Season 2 of Watchmen won't happen

Does the first season have a pretty conclusive ending? I haven't seen it yet.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:37 pm

I haven't seen it, but what I've read is that Lindelof is not interested, or didn't devise a second season.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm

It was pretty much a conclusive ending. They did close out with a bit of a "what if?" moment but it didn't come off as something people were gonna be clamoring over. A shrug is a perfectly reasonable response to this.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 am

Much like Please Like Me, Everything's Going to Be Okay is both making me laugh and hurting my heart.

"Why didn't the lady at the store warn me that I look like a child whore widow?"
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 pm
I hate to bear more bad TV news, but...

Season 2 of Watchmen won't happen

Does the first season have a pretty conclusive ending? I haven't seen it yet.
The season was designed with a mini series in mind and it has a definitive ending to its story. Like the graphic novel, it has an ending which carries an implication of what’s to come but that very much feels like “a story for another time” rather than something that merits an immediate follow up for s2.

Lindleof very much said that he was only going to return to it when/if a good enough idea came to him. He also said that the idea of someone else following it up in several years with their own big mystery idea would be nice.

I’m happy an s2 isn’t on the way.
DJ Rkod

Post by DJ Rkod » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 am

Thief wrote:
Snyder's movie is kinda like a robot's interpretation of the comic. All of the images are in the correct order. It's slavishly faithful, in many cases a direct panel-to-frame translation. It is also a cold husk devoid of anything suggesting that the people who created it understand why Watchmen is any good as a book.
we sing to ourselves in our cars, music is our sanctuary. anywhere you put it it's ours, our living voice, our living testament
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 am
Snyder's movie is kinda like a robot's interpretation of the comic. All of the images are in the correct order. It's slavishly faithful, in many cases a direct panel-to-frame translation. It is also a cold husk devoid of anything suggesting that the people who created it understand why Watchmen is any good as a book.
I’ll never understand this criticism. There’s hardly a single thematic thread that’s dropped from the graphic novel. Virtually everything of substance is intact and everything they cut shows that they had those themes in mind.

At worst, you could say that it’s stylistically ill fitting, with its slow-mo and ultra violence, but even that serves as an ironic clash with superhero films, which even still largely have sanitized violence that neglects the grievous injury that these masked vigilante would inflict upon people. The comic may not revel in the action like Snyder does and something more stripped down would probably be better suited but it has to acknowledge that even the premise of the comic demands they be extremely effective fighters given than they are not immediately murdered by anyone they face (the show also suffers from this and has less striking or affecting violence).

The show is a proper sequel that seeks to address racial violence and American legacies in addition to the themes of power and the psychology of “superheroes.” It’s hard to say more without spoiling anything.