The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Takoma1

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:43 pm
This show - the British edition, anyway - is very good. Highly recommended for fans of Homicide: Life of the Street Episode "Three Men and Adena" and for fans of interrogation room scenes in general.
This is setting a high bar.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:46 pm
This is setting a high bar.
Well, it's not as good as "Three Men and Adena" - I mean, what is - but it's still worth watching.
Oh, and David Tennant is only in one episode. Still, kudos to him for being a selling point after all these years.
Last Great Movie Seen
Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock, 1940)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:45 am

Binged Mindhunter this weekend, almost done with the second season, it's pretty good but mostly toward the beginning when they're learning the process - seeing their eyes light up as they realize the commonalities of "sequence killers," hearing them debate how to categorize. (The sallow Fincher colors and grim atonal score almost feel like parody at this point, they've been copied so much in the pursuit of Maximum Seriousness.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 am

Appreciated how Mindhunter spent time thriving in the pleasure of watching the heroes establish a loose formula/schema for serial killers, only for the nightmare in Atlanta to blow it all apart (or at least demonstrate its significant shortcomings) by the end of the second season. The case of Wayne Williams is truly fascinating how everything lines up except for the very real probability that he's innocent.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 am

Boy oh boy is the domestic drama just tedious, in both seasons. They try, God bless 'em.
NOTE:
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 am

wichares

Post by wichares » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 am
Boy oh boy is the domestic drama just tedious, in both seasons. They try, God bless 'em.
Why, you didn't gasp at the subtle, not-at-all-often connections between Holt's work life and his son's subplot? These serial killers might as well had been talking about his son!
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 am
I didn't mind it, mostly because I love Holt's performance. He's excellent.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I hope we get a third season, and not just because
we should get some kind of payoff from all of those BTK Killer scenes.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:23 am

wichares wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am
Why, you didn't gasp at the subtle, not-at-all-often connections between Holt's work life and his son's subplot? These serial killers might as well had been talking about his son!
That's what we in the ol' writing biz call a "parallel."
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:24 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:26 pm
I hope we get a third season, and not just because
we should get some kind of payoff from all of those BTK Killer scenes.
All I could think of during those scenes was this (wait for it):

NOTE:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:54 pm

LOL, that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Oddly enough, that impression could also apply to Michael Cerveris's performance as the CIA director.
Last Great Movie Seen
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:35 am

I've been watching The Outer Limits from the 60s at my mom's recommendations, and usually it's fine, but this episode was the best thing ever.

The episode is called Zzzzz and it's about a queen bee that turns into a woman to try to bone an entomologist to have bee-human hybrid babies. That bee is the most DTF being in the universe. They talk about marriage, but they very explicitly talk about having those thousands of babies in the beginning. She gets sort of bewildered the whole episode about how much work she has to do and everytime the guy explains to her how relationships work, she interprets it the way a genie interprets wishes, cause she just wants to fuck. Most episodes of the show are just okay at best, but this is a must-see.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 am

I need to find and watch that episode.

Also, Avenue 5 has steadily gotten better and better and tonight's episode was the best of the season. The passengers and crew of the hapless and inexorably doomed deep space cruise ship keep finding new and diverting ways to shoot themselves in the foot. Hugh Laurie is so good in this and he and the show have great fun skewering his public persona. Too bad next week's episode is the season finale. But it will be back for a season 2.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 pm

The first episode of Sense8 is a very disjointed, ambitious and somewhat unsatisfying ride. I'll watch the rest though, I wanna know what's up.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 pm
The first episode of Sense8 is a very disjointed, ambitious and somewhat unsatisfying ride. I'll watch the rest though, I wanna know what's up.
I think it's a show that finds itself as it goes and is very satisfying once you get to episodes 4 and 5, but if you can't last that long, I'd understand.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 pm
I liked it more as it went on. I think I made it to about episode 4 or 5 before it was a little too intense for me. But I'd recommend sticking with it for a few more episodes. I do want to go back and finish it.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:39 pm

I haven't watched the second season (for no especially good reason), but I thought Sense8's first season got sort of glorious and wonderful by the end and highlighted the absolute best of the Wachowskis' attention to humanism, empathy, and liberation that you see (to varying degrees of success) in The Matrix, Speed Racer, and Cloud Atlas.

Once I got a grasp of the series' "grammar" and rules and understood how the sensates could complement each other, the first season really took the ball and ran with it into the endzone. And there are scenes that are almost purely about themselves and the pleasure of being able to cut between the characters and show us familiar ideas in completely bananas new contexts.
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:39 pm
And there are scenes that are almost purely about themselves and the pleasure of being able to cut between the characters
It's that thing that made me want to watch the show. It was a tumblr bts gifset of how they just have the actors dip down out of frame while another moves in. I completely forgot it existed before that. I didn't know what that was about until today thoug.

Until your post I also forgot about the word sensate. What a pun.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:55 am

Charles wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 pm
Until your post I also forgot about the word sensate. What a pun.
It takes a confident team of creators to roll with that title.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 am

I am out of work for at least the next two weeks, and thus thinking about some shows I might want to get back to/finish. Many of them I stopped because my main time to watch things during the school year is at night, and some of the themes/situations just weren't good for right-before-bed viewing.

This isn't really a call for recommendations (because I feel like my taste skews kind of different than most posters in here), but if you have strong thoughts on any of the below of have a series you think I'd really like, please chime in. Right now I'm about halfway through The Witcher (which is kind of :roll: at points, but it's holding my interest and lots of fun supporting actors keep popping up), but I'll probably be done with it by Monday or Tuesday.

On my list:

Sense8
The Fall (might be too intense for daytime viewing--I think I made it through about 2/3 of the first episode and when the police laughed off the one woman who was sure someone had been in her house I was like "UGH!".
Justified Everyone just seemed to be so dumb that I got annoyed and quit.
Arrow Watched the first season plus a handful of the second season's episodes. I feel like the series has a pretty good reputation?
Person of Interest I binged like three seasons in a month and then got tired and stopped watching, but I feel like the show went to some really interesting places in its third (or fourth?) season.
The Flash Watched about half of the first season.
Rectify Watched the first episode. Loved it. Felt really sad.
Fargo Got about 3 episodes in. Probably will go back to this one to at least finish the first season.
Outlander Enjoyed the first episode. I read the book and I have very mixed feelings about the use of sexual assault as plot motivation, and from what I've heard the TV series goes to this well over and over for its various female characters.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 am

Definitely Fargo. Probably my favorite current show.

I also liked Justified well enough, and felt it got better as it went on. Still, I don't think it ever crossed that line between "good" and "great" for me.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:35 am

I'd recommend finishing the first seasons of Sense8 and Fargo. Allison Tolman and Martin Freeman crush that opening season.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:42 am

Speaking of that, I'm finally starting Season 3 of Fargo, and one thing I'm impressed by in all seasons is just how good Noah Hawley is at making these long seasons feel both chaotic and consequential. The story turns have to be tightly plotted, but how they develop almost always feels like an honest result of both bad luck and character wants. Moving forward through them, you're surprised by what people do and how timing and fortune play with their desired results, and then how they adapt. But looking backward, it may as well have been preordained, so carefully are the initial conditions set up. Even if I don't dig on a character, they still feel like they're acting according to their natures and not to story needs.
NOTE:
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:44 am

Fargo is so damn good. All three seasons of it.

Arrow peaks at season 2 but has impressive fights and stunts throughout. Flash is consistently just ok.
wichares

Post by wichares » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 am

After catching up on everything I want to watch last year, I gather my 10 favorite series of 2019:

1. Fleabag S2
2. Chernobyl
3. Succession S2
4. Watchmen
5. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
6. Barry S2
7. What We Do in the Shadows S1
8. When They See Us
9. Gentleman Jack S1
10. For All Mankind S1

For bonus, my 10 favorite episodes of 2019:

1. "Part Four", When They See Us
2. "Episode 6", Fleabag
3. "Vichnaya Pamyat", Chernobyl
4. "The One with Lucca Becoming a Meme", The Good Fight
5. "Pancakes", You're the Worst
6. "A God Walks into Abar", Watchmen
7. "Episode 5", Fleabag
8. "Cinco de Mayo", Brooklyn Nine-Nine
9. "Life's A Beach", Pose
10. "ronny/lily", Barry
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:58 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:42 am
Speaking of that, I'm finally starting Season 3 of Fargo, and one thing I'm impressed by in all seasons is just how good Noah Hawley is at making these long seasons feel both chaotic and consequential. The story turns have to be tightly plotted, but how they develop almost always feels like an honest result of both bad luck and character wants. Moving forward through them, you're surprised by what people do and how timing and fortune play with their desired results, and then how they adapt. But looking backward, it may as well have been preordained, so carefully are the initial conditions set up. Even if I don't dig on a character, they still feel like they're acting according to their natures and not to story needs.
I agree. And even with various directors and co-writers, he manages to maintain a unified style and essence to the whole show, while also evoking that "Coen flavor".
Evil

Post by Evil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 am
Rectify
Yeah, this is the one. I dont even like stuff generally that is just about people and their feelings, the murder mystery genre hook is what got me to start it as well as the Deadwood connection, but oh man. It is sad over its whole runtime, but also funny, shocking, poignant, and always so melancholy perfection. I think it's the best show made since ... I'm hard pressed to think of one I would put above it. It can be a tough watch but it doesn't wallow in the misery, it almost always feels cathartic and just the big hearted humanism you feel in every scene, performance, and shot, this is a show that likes people and their connections to each other and even all the fucked up stuff that goes in their lives and their brains and wants to find the beauty in it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:14 am

Evil wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm
Yeah, this is the one. I dont even like stuff generally that is just about people and their feelings, the murder mystery genre hook is what got me to start it as well as the Deadwood connection, but oh man. It is sad over its whole runtime, but also funny, shocking, poignant, and always so melancholy perfection. I think it's the best show made since ... I'm hard pressed to think of one I would put above it. It can be a tough watch but it doesn't wallow in the misery, it almost always feels cathartic and just the big hearted humanism you feel in every scene, performance, and shot, this is a show that likes people and their connections to each other and even all the fucked up stuff that goes in their lives and their brains and wants to find the beauty in it.
Yeah, the humanity was absolutely palpable in what I saw in just the first episode.

I did end up finishing The Witcher. Maybe the thing I appreciated the most was the way that it ended the season with both a sense of resolution and a clear path to another season. It was neither too neat nor too open-ended. I do feel like the series was often kind of at odds with its portrayal of the world. It's both deeply medieval and patriarchal, but at the same time women are fearsome warriors and powerful mages. It kind of feels like the series wants to have its cake and eat it, too. There's a lot of lampshading, including a character calling out how the main character repeatedly robs women of their agency which is . . . accurate. It is nice that there are several strong, interesting female characters (and female-driven action sequences like Yennifer protecting the queen and her baby from a supernatural assassin). Despite gestures at parity, it is kind of a boob-fest, something that they seemingly try to make up for with multiple scenes of Henry Cavill's character sulking in the bathtub. (Sidenote: I love how Yennifer's "crooked girl" is literally a total babe from the boobs down). The series is also conspicuously full of characters of color who act as assistants to white characters. By the final episode it seemed pretty striking (Dara helping Ciri, Frangilla helping what's-his-face, the warriors helping the guy hunting the dragon, the dude helping defend the queen, etc). Overall I enjoyed the series, but I think that there are quite a few things they could sort out before the next season.

Also, here's a question for anyone familiar with the "world" of The Witcher: the female mages who "ascend"
give up their uterus to become beautiful when they are "reborn". Are the male mages giving anything up? Do they go through the "ascension" ritual? Is this a lady-only thing?
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:39 pm

After watching the premiere of Season 3 of Westworld I think they should have stopped at two.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:07 pm

And as probably the only person here still watching The Walking Dead, last night's episode was a return to past seasons where the show seemed to spend most of it's time wandering in circles. First they drew out the whole
Whisperers
thing for far too long then they sort of half-heartedly and ambiguously seemed to wrap it up.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Restarted Fargo from the beginning because it's been just long enough that I'd forgotten some of the details of the first episode. And good thing, too, because the episode is PACKED with characters and events.

I've never been a big fan of Billy Bob Thornton, but I do enjoy his "agent of chaos" character.

It is interesting how, at least at this point, there's such a stark difference between the "good" characters and the "bad" characters--there's not a whole lot of ambiguity. (And I use the word "bad" in a very loose sense--I mean characters who are so cruel or unlikable that you're not horribly sad to see them possibly get killed off).

EDIT: Good lord, I always forget that Colin Hanks sounds *exactly* like his dad. And the composition of the scene with him and the killer is so lovely, with the smokestack behind him and the lingering vapor cloud from the car exhaust.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 am

Fargo Season 1, Episode 2 Thoughts:

1) Adam Goldberg!! Love him. Have you guys seen The Unusuals? Didn't always live up to its potential, but I wish it had been given just one more season or two.

2) I'm sure someone more on top of things than me has written about some of the parallels between major/minor characters, such as the series having two powerful men (the trucker guy who gets killed and the Supermarket King) with stupid sons.

3) It's really nice to see a deaf character played by a deaf actor. I saw on YouTube where someone had subtitled the ASL in his first scene, and it makes me wonder why they didn't include subtitles in the show itself. What he signs adds to his character.

4) I'm sure it's not intentional, but the Supermarket King makes me think of Timothy Dalton's character in Hot Fuzz.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 am

2) I'm sure someone more on top of things than me has written about some of the parallels between major/minor characters, such as the series having two powerful men (the trucker guy who gets killed and the Supermarket King) with stupid sons.
You'll notice that every season has a similar set of characters: a well-intentioned police officer, dumb/bumbling "victims", a colorful but ruthless antagonist, and a set of tough but mostly loyal henchmen. This might make it seem like a template, but Hawley makes it work every season.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:03 am

Thief wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 am
You'll notice that every season has a similar set of characters: a well-intentioned police officer, dumb/bumbling "victims", a colorful but ruthless antagonist, and a set of tough but mostly loyal henchmen. This might make it seem like a template, but Hawley makes it work every season.
I'm interested in the parallels between characters within this first season. The rich guys with dumb kids. The two wholesome cops.
wichares

Post by wichares » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:08 am

Westworld S3E1: I'm the rare watcher who slightly prefers Season 2 over 1, but this is a big, welcome change of pace, both expanding the world and freeing up the performers in new ways (Evan Rachel Woods has always been great in this sometimes too grim-lead role, but the steely cool here fits her effortlessly) with a bonus boost of fun spy thriller intrigue. It takes me until seeing Jonathan Nolan in the director credit to realize that this feels very Person of Interest on a big budget, which suits me fine.

Plus, Payman Maadi (A Separation) as a board member!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm

I tried getting through the premiere episode several times before finally giving up. I'm officially done with Westworld.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:26 pm

One episode left to go in the first season of Fargo and it's just such solid television. The acting is great, I love the look of many of the scenes (especially the eerie sequences in the blizzard), and the layering of the different plot elements is presented and paced out really nicely.

Though I am getting that anxiety that I always feel at the end of any series/miniseries where character continuation is not guaranteed (ie you know that Buffy isn't really going to die because she's the star of the show).

Also, I would watch a spin-off show called "Wholesome Conversations with Molly and Gus." I am just nervous that
one or both of them might get killed off in the final episode. Especially with the repeated statements of Gus worrying about dying because of his daughter.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Just wait. S2 of Fargo is even better.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 pm
Just wait. S2 of Fargo is even better.
I would go S1>S3>S2, but they're all great in the end.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm
I would go S1>S3>S2, but they're all great in the end.
I'm s2>s1=s3. Agreed on them all being great but Hanzee and Mike Milligan give s2 the edge.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm

All three seasons of Fargo are fantastic. 3 might be my favorite.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 am

Thoughts overall on Fargo Season 1:
1) I think that the show does an interesting job of portraying misguided paternalism, most of which is directed at Molly. It's interesting to me that the characters who make choices that they believe may or may not harm other people are the male characters (Gus, Lester, etc). Granted, there aren't very many female characters with any kind of agency. Molly is . . . about it. All the other women are more akin to potential-damsels (Gus's daughter, Vern's wife, Lester's wife, etc). I hope that later seasons have more complex female characters, or at least some that are more key to the plot.

2) I enjoyed the repeated use of anecdotes, especially those that the listener did not understand. Gave me, I don't know, Twin Peaks vibes or something?

3) Gus was so adorable. And yet so FRUSTRATING! It was an interesting comparison to the earlier iteration of Lester's character where someone just makes mistake after mistake. Also, him insisting that Molly stay home, then going after Malvo himself gave me very mixed feelings.

4) Martin Freeman's transformation as Lester was pretty amazing. He looked like he took about 10 years off of his life just with his change of facial expression and posture as he became more of a "predator". The evolution from puffy orange coat to black turtleneck was astounding. And Lester's increasing comfort with cold-blooded actions. I mean, the part where he send his wife into the store as bait is . . . oof. And then Allison Tolman's performance with its own more subtle evolution was also awesome.

5) Question: The subplot with the Supermarket King felt . . .unresolved? Did I miss something? Malvo is after the cash, isn't he? It seemed strange to me that there was no follow up. After framing the dim-witted boyfriend for it all, was Malvo done? Was he just sowing chaos?

6) I'm a little sad that there won't be anymore of the hitmen partnership. I liked their chemistry.
wichares

Post by wichares » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am

S2 >> S1 >>>> S3. S3 is still decent but it just seems so comparatively workmanlike after the first two.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am

Watched the first two episodes of Devs, and I'm on board for the rest (short investment). Serious Offerman with a lot of hair is a nice change of pace, and I'm always happy to see Zach "God is not mocked" Grenier. The protagonists are so far new, hot, diverse faces who are handling themselves well. I'm ready to see them stretch themselves. Looking forward to the rest.

There is some goofiness though...
The big opening twist is that Offerman and his team have proved hard determinism (hey, just look at the CODE and figure it out) and keep it a super secret in hopes (or the inevitability) of utilizing it for somesuch. This is guarded so zealously that it escalates to murder. Now I know that there are a lot of understandable gut-level reservations with determinism, and I share them, but there have been a shit-ton of committed determinists throughout history, for religious reasons, reasons of temperament, and on account of their readings of whatever data. It ultimately (inevitably?) results in much more low-key outcomes. Everyone carries on just as well. Libet isn't keeping anything secret, far as I know, and no one is murdering anyone over his experiments. This makes it come off a little overwrought in some respects.

They've already hinted in the second episode what more they can do by projecting backward, but even that raises some eyebrows. They project back to a crucifixion circa Christ, which is played off as a big moment, with us meaning to assume from the one dude flanked by two other dudes is supposed to be Jesus, but honestly. Even if we could do that, there isn't some magical referential power that will tell us this guy is the Jesus everyone talks about. We'll see what other consequences they see springing out of this, though, and I'm willing to give the Hitchcock shrug.
I'm glad Garland is out there doing his thing. He's good at building up mood and riffing on philosophical concepts dramatically, even if there are some sacrifices to make between what makes sense to Reason versus what makes sense to Sense. The giant fake girl is just great.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am

Ergill wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am
Watched the first two episodes of Devs
I'm glad Garland is out there doing his thing. He's good at building up mood and riffing on philosophical concepts dramatically, even if there are some sacrifices to make between what makes sense to Reason versus what makes sense to Sense. The giant fake girl is just great.
I've been watching Fargo on Hulu, so I've seen many trailers for Devs.

First time I saw it went something like this:

Me: Ooh, this has like Ex Machina vibes
Trailer: From the writer and director of Ex Machina
Me: Makes sense!
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am

wichares wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am
S2 >> S1 >>>> S3. S3 is still decent but it just seems so comparatively workmanlike after the first two.
I really like TV Fargo, but my issue with it is trying turn the Coens into a Coenverse. They certainly have threads that weave their way throughout all their work, but there isn't a coherent unified style and sentiment throughout all of it. If you try to unify Oh Brother with A Serious Man, things fall apart. This problem doesn't ruin the series at all, but it does make for a weird tension, and the wish-fulfillment, magical-helpers tendency pops up more prominently in the third season. The base is supposed to be a lot closer to the original movie (I'm talking about Fargo!), so the further you drift from that, the less it works for me, especially when the drift seems much more towards crowd-pleasing.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:40 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am
I've been watching Fargo on Hulu, so I've seen many trailers for Devs.

First time I saw it went something like this:

Me: Ooh, this has like Ex Machina vibes
Trailer: From the writer and director of Ex Machina
Me: Makes sense!
The man has a vibe if anything. I'm looking forward to the rest.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 am

Ergill wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am
I really like TV Fargo, but my issue with it is trying turn the Coens into a Coenverse. They certainly have threads that weave their way throughout all their work, but there isn't a coherent unified style and sentiment throughout all of it. If you try to unify Oh Brother with A Serious Man, things fall apart. This problem doesn't ruin the series at all, but it does make for a weird tension, and the wish-fulfillment, magical-helpers tendency pops up more prominently in the third season. The base is supposed to be a lot closer to the original movie (I'm talking about Fargo!), so the further you drift from that, the less it works for me, especially when the drift seems much more towards crowd-pleasing.
It's a bit odd:
Like you say, Ray Wise's benevolent character (who might be God?) does feel less effective than other moments of whimsy. It's leavened a bit because Winstead's character doesn't take his offer to heart and falls back into the more chaotic side of the Fargoverse. But it still felt more contrived than the flying saucer in S2. Maybe because it affects the narrative less and leads to Dunst's perfect "It's a flying saucer, come on, we gotta go!" Which emphasizes the absurdism instead of suggesting a hidden order beyond our ken. It reminds me of the spaceship in Life of Brian that picks up Graham Chapman during a chase and then drops him exactly where he left off.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:32 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:42 am
Forgot to say that I finished this and really dug it but maybe a bit less than S1 and S2 but still enough that I'm a big fan of the show and its vibe and ethos. Thinking a lot about the Don Hertzfeldt knockoff sci-fi story at the heart of it. I can help.

Will probably watch Legion next on account of the Noah Hawley factor.
NOTE: