The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Torgo

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Torgo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 pm

Unorthodox is the recent Netflix series featuring fanatics who subjugate women - I mean Doc Antle, of course - that deserves as much attention as Tiger King. It's based on a real-life story of a woman who fled the very strictly orthodox, Brooklyn-based Satmar group of Hasidic Jews. It's supremely well-acted and authentic, not to mention scary.
Last Great Movie Seen
Before Sunrise (Linklater, 1995)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 pm
Unorthodox is the recent Netflix series featuring fanatics who subjugate women - I mean Doc Antle, of course - that deserves as much attention as Tiger King. It's based on a real-life story of a woman who fled the very strictly orthodox, Brooklyn-based Satmar group of Hasidic Jews. It's supremely well-acted and authentic, not to mention scary.
Even the trailer looked pretty scary.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 pm
Even the trailer looked pretty scary.
It seems to wrong to recommend something scary like this since the real world is scary enough these days. An episode of The Office as a chaser helps.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Guy in the Trenchcoat

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:04 am

Patriot is good ass tv.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:25 am

The Guy in the Trenchcoat wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:04 am
Patriot is good ass tv.
Yes, thank you! For the last few years I've felt like the only person watching it! For me it's just at the right intersection between "bleak" and "comedy".
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:54 am

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:04 am
Patriot is good ass tv.
Damn good show. The guy with brain damage is my favorite.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Somewhat of a side-step from adult TV, but has anyone noticed the massive amount of children's television shows available on streaming platforms? I mean, my kids will gobble up most things we put on, which has made me notice how much stuff there is... mostly from Asia: South Korea, China, Japan... One has to wonder how fierce the market for animation is in those countries.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Thief wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 pm
Somewhat of a side-step from adult TV, but has anyone noticed the massive amount of children's television shows available on streaming platforms? I mean, my kids will gobble up most things we put on, which has made me notice how much stuff there is... mostly from Asia: South Korea, China, Japan... One has to wonder how fierce the market for animation is in those countries.
I would think that animated kids' shows are also more profitable because they can easily be redubbed for different countries. Kids can't really watch a subtitled version of their favorite shows, so having them be animated makes it easier to sell internationally, I'd think.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:19 pm

McMillions is a heck of a ride.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:19 pm
McMillions is a heck of a ride.
That FBI agent was like a kid with the attention span of a goldfish. “I was bored of healthcare fraud so I started looking into McDonalds. The meeting was boring so I wore a flashy suit. I told my boss to put me undercover cuz I wanted to do undercover.”
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 pm
That FBI agent was like a kid with the attention span of a goldfish. “I was bored of healthcare fraud so I started looking into McDonalds. The meeting was boring so I wore a flashy suit. I told my boss to put me undercover cuz I wanted to do undercover.”
I'm not done with the series yet, but so far my favorite structural element is how much they lean in to the FUN of the whole thing, especially when they're doing the fake film crew routine on Gloria. Then it flips to her story and it's like "Oh, yeah. They were having fun and her life was being ruined. Cool cool cool." Among other things, the way that the "bad people" are kind of rolled into a big group by the FBI, when there are clearly really different layers to who is doing what and who had choices.

And I sort of cannot stand the mobster's brother who clearly thinks that it's all kind of fine. I get that he was raised in a crime family and it probably does seem normal to him, but talking about his brother hurting people and being like "But he was kind of fun about it!" is so strange. He gives off major sociopath vibes. Though I do enjoy his wife's pained looks when he says stupid things.
The Guy in the Trenchcoat

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:25 am
Yes, thank you! For the last few years I've felt like the only person watching it! For me it's just at the right intersection between "bleak" and "comedy".
Amazon really botched the marketing for it. Wasn't even aware it was a comedy until Paul F Tompkins recommended it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:14 am

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:30 pm
Amazon really botched the marketing for it. Wasn't even aware it was a comedy until Paul F Tompkins recommended it.
I wasn't aware of ANY marketing for it.

I literally was flipping through Amazon, thought the main guy looked familiar, wanted to know why (he's the brother from Daybreakers), and in reading the synopsis of the show was intrigued. Gave it a shot and the first episode totally hooked me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 am

Also caught the first episode of Barry tonight and really enjoyed it!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 am
NoHo Hank MVP
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Finished McMillions and I would highly recommend it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 am

Has anyone else watched any of Nailed It! on Netflix? They just debuted season 4. It's pretty much a hilarious sendup of all those cooking competition shows. In this case baking, where three woefully unqualified contestants have to duplicate a professionally made showpiece. It's hosted by comedian Nicole Byer, Chef Jacques Torres and a guest celebrity judge. The episodes are less than a half hour long so it's an enjoyable way to kill some time.
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:02 am

Is anyone keeping up with Better Call Saul? I just caught the new episode from last night, which is the penultimate episode of the season, and it gave me a television high I've only experienced a handful of times. Damn good stuff. Breaking Bad might always have the edge for its excitement factor, but Better Call Saul's character work is on another level.
Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 am
Barry's back? You just made my day.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:20 am

Yes Better Call Saul is killing it like always. Kim Wexler is an incredible character especially.

I’m caught up on Nailed It too. Such a fluffy easy watch. I love that it starts as a semi-grounded show but as the seasons go on it loses all pretense of being any kind of serious competition and devolves into madness. Most of the guest judges are Nicole’s comedian friends who just goof off half the time. The contestants are downright crazy people, and everyone involved is having a lot of fun.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 am
Has anyone else watched any of Nailed It! on Netflix? They just debuted season 4. It's pretty much a hilarious sendup of all those cooking competition shows. In this case baking, where three woefully unqualified contestants have to duplicate a professionally made showpiece. It's hosted by comedian Nicole Byer, Chef Jacques Torres and a guest celebrity judge. The episodes are less than a half hour long so it's an enjoyable way to kill some time.
I like Nailed It, but as with any reality show it gets less fun as contestants figure out how to game the system.

For example: you intentionally totally flop the first challenge. Then they give you an advantage in the second round. Then, miraculously, that person who whiffed it in the first round is suddenly really competent at some semi-advanced stuff. Hmmmm.

I enjoy the people who are just there for fun.

And I loved the one guest judge (the one who looked like Edna from The Incredibles) who spent the whole time stealing pans from the pantry ("This is a wonderful pan!").
Spencie Returns wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:02 am
Barry's back? You just made my day.
No, sorry. I meant that I watched the first episode of the first season because it's one of the shows that Hulu just got from HBO.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:20 am
Yes Better Call Saul is killing it like always. Kim Wexler is an incredible character especially.
I agree. I'm still not ready to put it in the masterpiece tier, but it's pretty good, mostly thanks to the subtlety and nuances of the performances of almost every character. Not only Rhea Seehorn, but Michael Mando is one I really enjoy every time he's in. Even a character like Hamlin (played by Patrick Fabian), who probably shouldn't be that complex, has more depth than one would expect.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:20 am
I’m caught up on Nailed It too. Such a fluffy easy watch. I love that it starts as a semi-grounded show but as the seasons go on it loses all pretense of being any kind of serious competition and devolves into madness. Most of the guest judges are Nicole’s comedian friends who just goof off half the time. The contestants are downright crazy people, and everyone involved is having a lot of fun.
Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm
I enjoy the people who are just there for fun.

And I loved the one guest judge (the one who looked like Edna from The Incredibles) who spent the whole time stealing pans from the pantry ("This is a wonderful pan!").
I think that's Sylvia Weinstock and she's some kind of grande dame of baking. She was great. I also liked the episodes with Ron Ben-Israel, Maya Rudolph and Jay Chandrasekhar from Broken Lizard. He actually left halfway through filming because of a "child care issue" only to eventually return sheepishly with Starbucks for everyone. The program is a hoot.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 pm

And Better Call Saul has really gone into overdrive this year. We already know most of the main characters will survive in the short term but that doesn't necessarily apply to people like Ignacio and Kim. I wonder how many more seasons they plan on cranking out?
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 pm
And Better Call Saul has really gone into overdrive this year. We already know most of the main characters will survive in the short term but that doesn't necessarily apply to people like Ignacio and Kim. I wonder how many more seasons they plan on cranking out?
Don't remember where I heard it, but I think I remember hearing the plans were one more season. I might be wrong, though.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 am

Thief wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm
Don't remember where I heard it, but I think I remember hearing the plans were one more season. I might be wrong, though.
Yeah next season is the last.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:55 am

I just finished season 4 of Saul. Looks like I better (pardon the pun) get started on 5.

But anyway, it's so nice that What We Do in the Shadows is back. It's still as funny as it was last season.
Last Great Movie Seen
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm
No, sorry. I meant that I watched the first episode of the first season because it's one of the shows that Hulu just got from HBO.
You just broke my heart, Takoma. Regardless, I'm happy for you and the journey you're embarking on. I might have to revisit it myself now that it's on Hulu.
Torgo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:55 am
But anyway, it's so nice that What We Do in the Shadows is back. It's still as funny as it was last season.
Are new episodes going up on Hulu, or are you watching it on TV?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Spencie Returns wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 am
Are new episodes going up on Hulu, or are you watching it on TV?
I watched it on TV, but it looks like they're on Hulu as well.
Last Great Movie Seen
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:53 am

So I was looking for something short, light, and fun, and started watching Community. It accomplished the goal of making me chuckle often, even if it wasn't knee-slapping funny. I saw the first two episodes and, although the main story of the "selfish-rich-guy-fallen-from-grace" seems a bit cliché and predictable, I did enjoy the supporting cast (Glover, Jeong, Chase, Muni). So what's the verdict here? Is it worthy? Does it get better, funnier, worse?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:03 am

Thief wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:53 am
So I was looking for something short, light, and fun, and started watching Community. It accomplished the goal of making me chuckle often, even if it wasn't knee-slapping funny. I saw the first two episodes and, although the main story of the "selfish-rich-guy-fallen-from-grace" seems a bit cliché and predictable, I did enjoy the supporting cast (Glover, Jeong, Chase, Muni). So what's the verdict here? Is it worthy? Does it get better, funnier, worse?
s2 and 3 are great. S4 is bad. S5 and 6 are uneven but about the quality of s1 which is decent.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:26 am

Thief wrote:
While I won't try to dissuade you from Community (I watched the first season plus maybe a handful of the second season?), I will point you in the direction of Better Off Ted and also Moone Boy.

For shows on Prime (which I know you have--do you also have Hulu?), Psych and Family Tree might also be ones to check out.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 am

Thief wrote:
I recently watched it for the first time and loved it.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:26 am
While I won't try to dissuade you from Community (I watched the first season plus maybe a handful of the second season?), I will point you in the direction of Better Off Ted and also Moone Boy.

For shows on Prime (which I know you have--do you also have Hulu?), Psych and Family Tree might also be ones to check out.
Don't know much about Better Off Ted, but I did see the first episode of Moone Boy. Didn't hate it, but didn't stick with me and I never continued. I think my wife did finish season 1.

Yes, I do have Hulu. I remember seeing ads for Psych back in the day and thinking it might be my jam, but I never got into it. Never heard of Family Tree.
wichares

Post by wichares » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Community is my favorite sitcom, and Season 2 is among my favorite seasons of anything, ever.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 am

As I make my way into the second half of Barry I'm becoming more and more interested with its different attitudes and portrayals of violence towards different groups, and especially its approach to violence against women (both by the main character and in general).

We several times see Barry kill men who are innocent (or very close to it).

I felt like there was almost a meta commentary in the episode where (MODERATE SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2)
Barry is supposed to play Sally's ex-boyfriend and choke her in a scene. He is so put off by the idea. With a show like this one, where the main character does many things that are morally wrong and yet is a protagonist that we like and root for, it's always interesting to see the ways in which the writers will push our willingness to like them.

On one hand, I was incredibly relieved that Barry did not end up choking her. But I was also interested by the show drawing a line there. How much would our relationship to Barry change if he physically hurt Sally? We are incredibly repulsed by Sally's ex (who is a piece of garbage but who also never killed anyone), with his physical abuse being the primary characteristic of what we know about him.
And then (MAJOR SEASON 1 SPOILERS)
when he confronts and has to kill Moss ("has to" from a plot point of view, of course), it happens very much off-screen and with no aftermath/gore that we see.
In the episode where (SEASON 2 SPOILERS)
the little girl witnesses him attack her father, it becomes completely over the top and the idea that Barry will actually do anything to harm the child doesn't even factor in as reality. I'm not sure if she will come back into the story (I literally just finished that episode), but at the end she's just out there in the wind

I know that this was a bit rambling, but generally speaking I don't tend to watch many shows with "bad guy" protagonists. I'm finding it very interesting (and masterful) how the show creates this push-pull with the main character, and how at times it gives you what you're hoping will happen and at other times denies you of it.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 am

I think Barry constantly wanting to leave his life of crime goes a long way towards the audience liking him and therefore the show is able to get away with the stuff you mentioned in the spoilers. I’m glad you’re enjoying the show, Tak. I can’t wait for more.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 am
I think Barry constantly wanting to leave his life of crime goes a long way towards the audience liking him and therefore the show is able to get away with the stuff you mentioned in the spoilers. I’m glad you’re enjoying the show, Tak. I can’t wait for more.
His desire to not be violent and further to not be someone who is defined by acts of violence is something I think anyone can empathize with. The whole "I try to get out but they keep pulling me back in!" is always a pretty compelling storyline.

But what I'm really starting to pay attention to is
where the show "draws the line". What can Barry NOT do? What is something that would be unforgivable from an audience point of view?

And that's where I'm interested in why they've kept the one act of violence against a woman well off-screen. It's an interesting intersection of what will Barry himself not do (like kill a kid) and what will the show Barry not allow its lead character to do.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:59 am

I didn't particularly like last night's season ender of Better Call Saul. Probably because I was expecting it. I thought,
"This asshole is gonna survive this. I just know he is". And so the stage is set for him to come after, menace, then probably kill off Nacho and Kim. And the other guy. I forget his name but he's the intermediary between Fring and the cartel.
I hope it doesn't play out that predictably.
wichares

Post by wichares » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 am

I don't think so, at least about Kim, since they have taken pain to subvert her character's arc, like
the showrunners (probably) recognize the audience's Kim question, and then reprogram the agency from the long-standard "what's going to happen to her" to "what she's going to do" now, which is a refreshing narrative turn that feels both surprising and fitting. I wonder if they slyly planned it with the episode's name as well, turning "Something Unforgivable" that sounded pre-air like something that will be done to her/drive her away, to a potential act she might commit instead. Also love the flip of last season's last scene, in which Jimmy and Kim now reverse roles; the impact is not as lastingly downbeat, but coming after his "Am I bad to you?" makes it a disquieting note nonetheless.
After all that character writing, I don't think the standard solution that has already been long speculated applies anymore.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:03 am
s2 and 3 are great. S4 is bad. S5 and 6 are uneven but about the quality of s1 which is decent.
Season 6 is worth it just for Keith David getting addicted to validating white people.

And Paget Brewster's speech to Dean about how dumb he is.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am
Season 6 is worth it just for Keith David getting addicted to validating white people.

And Paget Brewster's speech to Dean about how dumb he is.
Also the strategic use of the F word by the Dean killed me.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 am
Also the strategic use of the F word by the Dean killed me.
Jesus, just rewatched that. Immaculate.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Episode title, please? I can't believe I don't remember that.
Last Great Movie Seen
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 pm

wichares wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 am
I don't think so, at least about Kim, since they have taken pain to subvert her character's arc, like
the showrunners (probably) recognize the audience's Kim question, and then reprogram the agency from the long-standard "what's going to happen to her" to "what she's going to do" now, which is a refreshing narrative turn that feels both surprising and fitting. I wonder if they slyly planned it with the episode's name as well, turning "Something Unforgivable" that sounded pre-air like something that will be done to her/drive her away, to a potential act she might commit instead. Also love the flip of last season's last scene, in which Jimmy and Kim now reverse roles; the impact is not as lastingly downbeat, but coming after his "Am I bad to you?" makes it a disquieting note nonetheless.
After all that character writing, I don't think the standard solution that has already been long speculated applies anymore.
I'm certainly hoping not. Hopefully Gilligan and Gould will wrap it up in style.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:58 am

Ok, I've watched a couple more episodes of Community (5 episodes so far) and I'm enjoying it. My favorite part is probably the interactions between Abed and Troy. I also didn't know that the creator of the show was Dan Harmon, who is also behind Rick and Morty, which explains some of the humor of it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:50 pm

I think it was episode 7, Introduction to Statistics, that was the clincher episode for me that made me realize Community's comedic potential. When you get to that one, I predict that you'll be (even more) hooked.
Last Great Movie Seen
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:50 pm
I think it was episode 7, Introduction to Statistics, that was the clincher episode for me that made me realize Community's comedic potential. When you get to that one, I predict that you'll be (even more) hooked.
It was the chicken fingers episode for me.
replican

Post by replican » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:59 am
I didn't particularly like last night's season ender of Better Call Saul. Probably because I was expecting it. I thought,
"This asshole is gonna survive this. I just know he is". And so the stage is set for him to come after, menace, then probably kill off Nacho and Kim. And the other guy. I forget his name but he's the intermediary between Fring and the cartel.
I hope it doesn't play out that predictably.
You say predictable, I say fatalism. Nacho's fate has been sealed for a while now. The only question is whether or not his father will be taken out as well. His predicament induces anxiety in me every time. That scene where he tries to open the lock was as good as the train 'robbery scene in BB.

BCS > BB

It's slow as hell, although this season was relatively fast paced. No other show has a more talented cast. Odenkirk is probably the weak link when it comes to dramatic chops. The guy playing Lalo owns the screen.

Kim is the ultimate ride or die bitch

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:58 pm

The Midnight Gospel is the kind of thing I love so much, I can't help but hate it. It's complete fearlessness in allowing both its visuals and narrative arcs to completely explode into unexpected patterns, and its similar fearlessness in just threading long form conversations throughout these wasteland worlds they take place in, makes me all to aware of the fearfulness I have in my own work and thinking. It is the kind of work that should be inspiring to anyone who wants to believe you can just do your own thing in your own creative pursuits, and not have to worry if half of it is completely baffling to the rest of the world. It is also deflating in how brave you likely have to be to trust your instincts so purely.

The best thing I've seen in television for awhile.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Finally finished season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale and, despite all the tediousness I had complained of during the first half, they sorta made up for it in the last 3-4 episodes. Some really good acting moments from Elisabeth Moss, gorgeous direction and production design as usual... but I just have to roll my eyes at the prospect of things once again going back to square one (once again, June is unable to escape).