The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Slentert » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:01 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:58 pm
The Midnight Gospel is the kind of thing I love so much, I can't help but hate it. It's complete fearlessness in allowing both its visuals and narrative arcs to completely explode into unexpected patterns, and its similar fearlessness in just threading long form conversations throughout these wasteland worlds they take place in, makes me all to aware of the fearfulness I have in my own work and thinking. It is the kind of work that should be inspiring to anyone who wants to believe you can just do your own thing in your own creative pursuits, and not have to worry if half of it is completely baffling to the rest of the world. It is also deflating in how brave you likely have to be to trust your instincts so purely.

The best thing I've seen in television for awhile.
I'm going through it rather slowly, but I'm loving it. I think it would work well on a rewatch too.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 pm
Finally finished season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale and, despite all the tediousness I had complained of during the first half, they sorta made up for it in the last 3-4 episodes. Some really good acting moments from Elisabeth Moss, gorgeous direction and production design as usual... but I just have to roll my eyes at the prospect of things once again going back to square one (once again, June is unable to escape).
I liked season 3 a lot.
The Waterfords getting tricked into crossing the border and getting arrested...
I’ve never been happier watching a TV show.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Slentert wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:01 pm
I'm going through it rather slowly, but I'm loving it. I think it would work well on a rewatch too.
There is a lot in there to take in. I didn't even know how to acclimatize to the first episode at first, and that is kind of training wheels for how it builds in the following episodes.

It is definitely probably a super niche thing. It would frustrate a lot of people who aren't gelling with its wavelength. But if you go along for the ride, it is absolutely everything I am looking for right now. It humbles me and wonderfies me. It's just so great.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:57 pm
I liked season 3 a lot.
The Waterfords getting tricked into crossing the border and getting arrested...
I’ve never been happier watching a TV show.
Yeah, that was great.

As for the season, I don't know, but I kinda went into this one with a bit of disinterest. I've harped about it repeatedly here, but I feel like the show keeps stretching things and repeating itself. Every season has June come up with some plan to escape only to end up in the same place in the end. I found the first half of the season to be tedious as hell, but like I said, this last stretch was pretty solid. That final scene between June and Lawrence was gold.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Thirteen (miniseries)

This was like if Room was adapted as a not-so-great TV show.

A young woman named Ivy Moxam escapes from a house, having been abducted 13 years prior. The series follows her reintegration into her family and the police's ongoing attempt to capture her kidnapper.

A friend of mine watched this and said that nothing in it made sense. I felt that the problem was more that everyone was just the worst. Any series of this type is going to have parts that don't read as "real" police procedure, but this series is ridiculous in that regard. What's most strange is the way that Ivy is treated by the police as a normal adult woman (including wondering if she was "in on" her own abduction) instead of, you know, realizing that this is a person who has been locked in a cellar for 13 years.

This was kind of like a mid-level page turner. It was easy to keep watching, but not necessarily good. It made for okay quarantine binge-watching, though. I will give the series big props for staying away from the more salacious stuff that could have been put on screen. We are given some details of what Ivy suffered, but there is very little shown on screen.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:35 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:58 pm
The Midnight Gospel is the kind of thing I love so much, I can't help but hate it. It's complete fearlessness in allowing both its visuals and narrative arcs to completely explode into unexpected patterns, and its similar fearlessness in just threading long form conversations throughout these wasteland worlds they take place in, makes me all to aware of the fearfulness I have in my own work and thinking. It is the kind of work that should be inspiring to anyone who wants to believe you can just do your own thing in your own creative pursuits, and not have to worry if half of it is completely baffling to the rest of the world. It is also deflating in how brave you likely have to be to trust your instincts so purely.

The best thing I've seen in television for awhile.
Can this show just be canonized as one of the greatest ever already?

I'd be happy putting my feelings for this up with any of my favorites, from The Simpsons, to the Wire, to Freaks and Geeks, to Twilight Zone. This show is in rarefied air. It's magic. And for it to do so much in eight episodes is really just something.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 pm

I'll have to watch Midnight Gospel then considering your praise of it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 pm
I'll have to watch Midnight Gospel then considering your praise of it.
I'd imagine that it's definitely not for everyone (not that anything should be for everyone, anyways).

But if it is for you, it's reeeeeaallly for you.

And it's not like its a show that is full of spoilers of anything, but I almost feel going into it knowing as little as possible is a benefit. Trying to orient oneself to its approach and pace is half of the fun.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Beef House & Three Busy Debras are very funny shows
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm very eager to check out The Midnight Gospel. I loved Pendleton Ward's work on Adventure Time, and the thought of him having free reign on a show is exhilarating.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat May 02, 2020 9:13 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 am
I know that this was a bit rambling, but generally speaking I don't tend to watch many shows with "bad guy" protagonists. I'm finding it very interesting (and masterful) how the show creates this push-pull with the main character, and how at times it gives you what you're hoping will happen and at other times denies you of it.
Breaking Bad was also excellent at that, for a bit of an obvious recommendation on my part.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Stu wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:13 am
Breaking Bad was also excellent at that, for a bit of an obvious recommendation on my part.
I know many people love this show, but I find everything about it (from the outside) completely off-putting.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:09 pm
I know many people love this show, but I find everything about it (from the outside) completely off-putting.
The Walter White fan culture that grew around the show is gross. As was the vilification of his wife as being a buzz kill (because of this she's often overlooked as one of the quality characters on the show). But the nuance in shading in all of the surrounding characters is where the show really excelled. And whatever one might personally think of the Walter White character himself, Cranston's performance is one for the ages.

That said, as much as I like it, I virtually never think about it anymore. Unlike something like the Wire of Mad Men, which will live with me forever it seems.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 02, 2020 3:47 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:30 pm
That said, as much as I like it, I virtually never think about it anymore. Unlike something like the Wire of Mad Men, which will live with me forever it seems.
I feel similarly, which is weird. Was hugely into it as it was coming out, and I think it's still a great TV story in how it builds organically off the choices characters make. As "plotty" as it could be, the story never feels like it's contriving to contain the messiness its characters create. And like you say, fantastic character work from all involved. But... I don't know, I feel little desire to rewatch it.

One element I do know is that I wish the show spoke a little more to the actual impact of meth as a drug. I'm a little familiar with what meth does to families, children, how it corrodes, and there's really just one episode that gives you a look at the consequences of White/Pinkman Enterprises. I know the intent is similar to The Godfather: you constrain the scope of the story to draw out its most potent dramatic dynamics and also to force us to evaluate the heroes' moral math contextually. We have "access" to what they have "access" to. I get why they didn't do this, and it's not a dealbreaker, but it bums me out a touch.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 02, 2020 3:55 pm

And yeah, the Skyler stuff was shit. Walter rejects an offer from Gray Matter in the very first episode that could have resolved everything. The creative team was very deliberate about this. He needlessly endangered his family from the beginning due to his pride. Thinking Skyler is a bitch is such a willful refusal to engage with Walter's core shittiness, I guess because the power fantasy element is so potent.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Breaking Bad is a pretty straight-ahead experience, and when you've experienced it once, you've experienced the best it has to offer. Repeat viewings are only going to bring diminished returns - a feeble attempt to recapture the high of the first time - and it's not likely to yield any new perspectives or unexpected revelations.

The fan culture and Skyler backlash is gross, but almost inevitable, given the tack that the show takes. It really situates you within Walter White's perspective, so his frustrations become the viewer's frustrations, his elation becomes the viewer's elation, etc. It immerses you in what is (frankly) this absurd male power fantasy - totally implausible, but on an immediate, visceral level, very seductive. A viewer with even an ounce of reflection will realize how he's being coaxed into that, and contend with the ramifications of that appeal in order to step back and regard Walter White with a more objective moral lens. But those who want to be seduced will be, very readily.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat May 02, 2020 5:55 pm

I feel like Walter's arc in Breaking Bad is pretty straight forward and I don't think it takes more than one viewing to get the gist of it. I still had a blast with the show though and loved how the characters developed throughout, even though I still prefer season 4 over season 5, which I think drags a bit in the first half. And yeah, Skyler's definitely one of the most interesting characters in the show, outside of Walter and maybe Gus.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:30 pm
The Walter White fan culture that grew around the show is gross. As was the vilification of his wife as being a buzz kill
It is mostly this that keeps me away to be honest.

I know it's not "fair" to the show to judge it based on how a select number of viewers react. But every time I see anything related to it, I think about Anna Gunn's op-ed about the hatred that was directed at her (not her character, her) during the show and it grosses me out.

And having had a student whose life was turned upside down by his mother's meth addiction and his father running a meth lab out of their family basement, I also have an instinctively repulsed reaction to the idea of being on the side of someone doing that. And I know that I'm a few posts up loving on Barry, a show about a person who kills people for a living, but it feels different to root for a character doing something that actually hurt someone I love. (I have had students who were impacted by homicide, but not, you know, hired assassins).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm having a lazy Sunday, marathoning the third season of Futureman.

While it's clearly inferior to the first two seasons, lacking the clear objective of the first season or the detailed world-building of the second season, I'm enjoying it. Eliza Coupe as Tiger never gets old, nor does the inherent pathetic nature of Josh, nor the jack-of-all-trades explorations of Wolf.

Every episode has at least a few laugh out loud moments for me, and while the season is pretty scattered in terms of plot, it does move along at a nice pace.

And a continued shout-out for bisexual representation from a male character that isn't just portrayed as "manly man who makes many conquests". More broadly, I think that one of the show's strengths is balancing dark, crass humor with a general sex-positivity and jokes that "punch up".
replican

Post by replican » Sun May 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 pm
It is mostly this that keeps me away to be honest.

I know it's not "fair" to the show to judge it based on how a select number of viewers react. But every time I see anything related to it, I think about Anna Gunn's op-ed about the hatred that was directed at her (not her character, her) during the show and it grosses me out.

And having had a student whose life was turned upside down by his mother's meth addiction and his father running a meth lab out of their family basement, I also have an instinctively repulsed reaction to the idea of being on the side of someone doing that. And I know that I'm a few posts up loving on Barry, a show about a person who kills people for a living, but it feels different to root for a character doing something that actually hurt someone I love. (I have had students who were impacted by homicide, but not, you know, hired assassins).
I understand where you are coming from but I don't believe that one has to like/love a character in order to enjoy a show. Although it does play more of a role for tv shows in comparison to film. With shows you're in it for a lengthier period of time, much more invested in the life span of the characters as a whole. It makes it difficult to appreciate a show where you don't at the very least identify with the characters.

Judging from the posts of yours that I've read, you bring a lot of the external into a movie's merits. I recall you mentioning that there's a decent amount of films that you will not watch due to the people being involved in it. I am inclined to agree with you on that. Polanski comes to mind as someone that I've kind of avoided as I've learned more about the person he was/is.

But your judgement of BB seems a bit off. I'm not familiar with the backlash of the Gunn character. Side note, I heard her years ago on the Opie and Anthony show. She seemed really cool and ironically very jocular. It's a shame that morons would direct any disrespect towards her. I haven't watched show in a while but from I remember she really was not developed much. We don't get much of a character arc with her. There were several plot lines I would have liked to have seen BB run with but as the show went along I feel like the writers knew they couldn't fight the Walter White tsunami. Fans of Walter weren't going to like anyone messing with their boy. Heck I think there was a fair amount of viewers that thought Walter should have cut ties with Jesse early on, using whatever methods necessary. Walter fans aren't going to see the fact that Jesse's behavior was driven by the fact that he had some semblance of a conscious. To the Walter White camp, Jesse was a fuck up instead of someone deeply wounded and guilt ridden over his girlfriend's death/murder.

I know you're self-aware about it not being fair to criticize the show through the lens of how other viewers respond to it, but I still have to defend it. A director or writer can't control for everything external to his or her own intent. Take Scarface for example. Would you begrudge its artistic merits based on the fact that a lot of drug dealers identify with it and view it as a glorification of that lifestyle?
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun May 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Macrology wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm
Breaking Bad is a pretty straight-ahead experience, and when you've experienced it once, you've experienced the best it has to offer. Repeat viewings are only going to bring diminished returns - a feeble attempt to recapture the high of the first time - and it's not likely to yield any new perspectives or unexpected revelations.
Eh, I think that's selling the show a bit short; I have seen a few people make the point that it's such an intense, visceral experience on the whole that rewatches will never be able to match the initial rush you experience from it for the first time, but I've watched the series in its entirety multiple times, and have seen every episode at least twice, if not more (as I rewatched the pilot just last year), and I've loved almost all of it just as much as I did the first time, because for me, that fundamental intensity is why it's held up so well as my #1 TV show, and why it's lingered with me so strongly, even nearly a decade after first watching it. It's that blend of potent thrills, feels (for example, the cliffhanger of "Half Measures" and the montage set to "Waiting Around To Die" in "Bit By A Dead Bee" where Walter
sees the poster Skyler posted at the bus stop with the "Missing" over his picture
still gives me chills to this day), and yes, even comedy that makes it so great, and the series just wouldn't have been as great if it had tried to force itself to be lower-key on the whole (then again, I felt the exact same way when I compared Phantom Thread to There Will Be Blood, so it's a pretty consistent preference for me), and wanting a less intense Breaking Bad would be like wanting a movie like Alien to be less scary; it's like, those are huge parts of why those things are as great as they are, so why would you want less of that? :D

Anyway, regarding the point about new perspectives, I've found that it's so dense that there's plenty of fascinating little details I've discovered in it only upon rewatch, and I'm actually still discovering new things about it to this day, like this shot in "Hermanos", for example, when
Gus is leaving the DEA building in the elevator after being questioned about Gale's murder:

Now, the first time I watched that episode, I initially just thought that this simply conveyed that Gus was getting worried, and feeling like the walls were closing in on him because the law was beginning to get suspicious of him for the first time in his life, but I discovered upon rewatch, after having the foreknowledge of how the episode ends with the revelation that Hector murdered his business partner (and possible lover), that the combination of the DEA's questioning of his background, along with the continual chiming of the elevator (which reminded him of Hector ringing his bell, a motion that Gus reflexively imitated himself), triggered a flashback to that emotional trauma within him, one that we only see much later for ourselves in the ep, adding a new emotional layer to the utterly haunted look in his eyes. And that's just one new detail I noticed upon rewatch; that's not even getting into the fact that Walt tends to imitate the behavior of the people he kills throughout, as a way of sort of "absorbing" their badness into himself, or the way that Jesse snapping at Andrea for using meth with a kid at home was likely brought about by his memory of the "mother" he encountered in "Peekaboo", or the differing interpretations I've heard of the meaning of the stray dog at the end of "Ozymandias", or...
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:55 pm
I feel like Walter's arc in Breaking Bad is pretty straight forward and I don't think it takes more than one viewing to get the gist of it. I still had a blast with the show though and loved how the characters developed throughout, even though I still prefer season 4 over season 5, which I think drags a bit in the first half. And yeah, Skyler's definitely one of the most interesting characters in the show, outside of Walter and maybe Gus.
Yeah, but it's not the overall arc of taking the protagonist and steadily turning him into a villain over the course of the show that made it a great show (although as a general idea, it is pretty refreshing when compared to all the shows that either basically keep their characters frozen in a stasis the entire time, or just exaggerate the characteristics they already had), but it's the specific details and steps that lead to Walter's downfall as a human being that made it compelling; it's one thing to say that you're going to flip a character's moral compass upside down, but it's moments like Walter choosing to
stand by and just watch Jane as she dies
that made his journey so impactful and compelling, so adding any more ambiguity to his arc than already existed wouldn't have improved the series at all, IMO. But, I do agree that the first half of Season 5 is a bit slower than 4, although to be fair, it was originally intended to be part of one long, extended 16-ep season with the second half, so Vince and company had more airtime to fill, but AMC insisted on airing it in two seperate blocks over the course of 2012-2013 to make the show last longer, so I consider them to be seperate seasons as S5 & S6, sort of like how I have to consider the two volumes of Kill Bill to be seperate movies because that's they way they were released, even though Tarantino intended them to be one (although I feel the choice to split them was for the best, but that's just me).
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:22 pm
I'm having a lazy Sunday, marathoning the third season of Futureman.

While it's clearly inferior to the first two seasons, lacking the clear objective of the first season or the detailed world-building of the second season, I'm enjoying it. Eliza Coupe as Tiger never gets old, nor does the inherent pathetic nature of Josh, nor the jack-of-all-trades explorations of Wolf.

Every episode has at least a few laugh out loud moments for me, and while the season is pretty scattered in terms of plot, it does move along at a nice pace.

And a continued shout-out for bisexual representation from a male character that isn't just portrayed as "manly man who makes many conquests". More broadly, I think that one of the show's strengths is balancing dark, crass humor with a general sex-positivity and jokes that "punch up".
Is it already on? Woohh
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun May 03, 2020 10:59 pm

Stu wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 pm
Yeah, but it's not the overall arc of taking the protagonist and steadily turning him into a villain over the course of the show that made it a great show (although as a general idea, it is pretty refreshing when compared to all the shows that either basically keep their characters frozen in a stasis the entire time, or just exaggerate the characteristics they already had), but it's the specific details and steps that lead to Walter's downfall as a human being that made it compelling; it's one thing to say that you're going to flip a character's moral compass upside down, but it's moments like Walter choosing to
stand by and just watch Jane as she dies
that made his journey so impactful and compelling, so adding any more ambiguity to his arc than already existed wouldn't have improved the series at all, IMO. But, I do agree that the first half of Season 5 is a bit slower than 4, although to be fair, it was originally intended to be part of one long, extended 16-ep season with the second half, so Vince and company had more airtime to fill, but AMC insisted on airing it in two seperate blocks over the course of 2012-2013 to make the show last longer, so I consider them to be seperate seasons as S5 & S6, sort of like how I have to consider the two volumes of Kill Bill to be seperate movies because that's they way they were released, even though Tarantino intended them to be one (although I feel the choice to split them was for the best, but that's just me).
Yeah, I know. I said "arc" though because details like the one you mentioned plus many more are all part of advancing his character arc throughout the course of the show. The word "arc" is a general term which covers all of that. I know that those moments are essential to the show. As for your point on ambiguity, I don't think I'm arguing that the show should've developed his character differently than they did. I think it's a great arc and the show did a wonderful job with it. It's just not a show which I want to revisit. I think I already got the gist of it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon May 04, 2020 7:39 am

I tried visiting www.train-story.com. The result is in keeping with the overall mindfuckery of the episode.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 am

Penny Dreadful: City of Trumpers

An evil city councilman bent on using eminent domain to run Mexican Americans off their property to build a three lane highway? A Chicano cop suffering the racist jeers of fellow police officers? OK, so far so good. Nothing too "on the nose." There are many untold tales of the Mexican American experience and it would be apocryphal to not depict racism. Wait? What's this? Actual Nazis demonstrating in public with American flags and yelling to people to put "America First"? Ohhhh, I get it. Next scene, we're in the home of Christian cultists. It's all so "on the nose." There is no entertainment. There is only politics. Oh well, at least we get to watch Natalie Dormer chew the scenery in multiple roles like Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror .
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Thief wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 pm
Is it already on? Woohh
It's pretty inconsistent in terms of having a solid plot, but it's paying off some references from earlier seasons.

"Whatcha doin' there goat? That's thing's built solid. Well, I mean, I wouldn't mess with the cornerstone."
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:35 pm
Can this show just be canonized as one of the greatest ever already?

I'd be happy putting my feelings for this up with any of my favorites, from The Simpsons, to the Wire, to Freaks and Geeks, to Twilight Zone. This show is in rarefied air. It's magic. And for it to do so much in eight episodes is really just something.
The last episode is probably the best thing I saw on television in the last five years or so.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon May 04, 2020 11:14 pm

All this talk about anti-heroes and shady protagonists and I still feel like only Ergill and I have watched The Knick. Step. Yo. Game. Up.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Slentert wrote:
    Mon May 04, 2020 10:41 pm
    The last episode is probably the best thing I saw on television in the last five years or so.
    That kind of clinched it for me.

It's all so incredibly beautiful and weird and irreverent though. My three favourite things.
    Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 am

Hmmm.

I'm going to need everyone to list their top 10 TV shows, no necessarily in order. Definitely going to put The Midnight Gospel on my to watch list.
    Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 am

Kenji wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 am
    Hmmm.

I'm going to need everyone list their top 10 TV shows, no necessarily in order.
    1. Breaking Bad
    2. Arrested Development (only seasons 1- 3)
    3. Firefly/Btvs/Angel (it's all basically the same thing)
    4. The Twilight Zone
    5. Homicide Life on the Street
    6. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    7. Star Trek (original series)
    8. Monty Python's Flying Cicus
    9. The Wire
    10. That MItchell and Webb Look
    crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue May 05, 2020 1:36 am

The Simpsons
    The Wire
    Twilight Zone
    Flying Circus
    Mad Men
    Degrassi Jr High
    Bob's Burgers
    Kids in the Hall
    Freaks and Geeks
    Late Show with David Letterman

Was basically how it looked before Midnight Gospel.
    Thief

Post by Thief » Tue May 05, 2020 3:02 am

Kenji wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 am
    Hmmm.

I'm going to need everyone to list their top 10 TV shows, no necessarily in order. Definitely going to put The Midnight Gospel on my to watch list.
    Top 3
    1. The Shield
    2. The Wire
    3. Breaking Bad

Remaining 7 in no order...
    Boardwalk Empire
    Bates Motel
    The Americans
    Catastrophe
    Freaks and Geeks
    Hannibal
    Justified

Trying to stick with shows that have already finished and that I've seen all of it. Also, with the exception of Freaks and Geeks, I tried to avoid shows that lasted one season or mini-series.
    Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 am

Favorite Shows
    Hannibal
    Happy Endings
    Twilight Zone
    Slings and Arrows
    Profit (90s)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Batman: The Animated Series
    Over the Garden Wall
    Paranoia Agent
    Columbo
    Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue May 05, 2020 6:58 am

In no particular order:

Mad Men
    Over The Garden Wall
    Het Eiland
    Columbo
    The Office (UK version)
    Frasier
    Inside Number 9
    Fargo
    Mr. Show
    Atlanta

I don't watch a lot of tv...
    ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am

Alright, here I go:

The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick

*scans other lists and sees not one mention of the Knick*

*Burns other lists*
    MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
    Mad Men
    Seinfeld
    The Wire
    Bojack Horseman
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Office (UK)
    Happy Endings
    The Twilight Zone
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Don't watch many dramas...
    Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 am

MrCarmady wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am
    Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
    Great pick.
    MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue May 05, 2020 8:31 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 am
    Great pick.
    Ditto for you and Homicide, although I've only seen a few seasons. And I love Monty Python, but, as with Mitchell and Webb, I find sketch shows so uneven that it's almost preferable to watch the best ones on youtube than whole episodes.
    Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 05, 2020 1:30 pm

My top 10 is pretty vanilla, but here it is anyway:

1. The Simpsons, seasons 1-11
    2. Twin Peaks & Twin Peaks: The Return
    3. The Wire
    4. The Office (UK) (However, I'm finally watching The Office (US) and I really like it)
    5. Star Trek: The Next Generation
    6. Freaks and Geeks
    7. The Sopranos
    8. Homicide: Life on the Street
    9. Avatar: The Last Airbender
    10. The Venture Bros.
    Last Great Movie Seen
    Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
    wichares

Post by wichares » Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Community
    3. Arrested Development
    4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    5. Mad Men
    6. Twin Peaks
    7. Firefly
    8. Bojack Horseman
    9. Hannibal
    10. Avatar: The Last Airbender
    wichares

Post by wichares » Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Also, I just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion, finally.

That I think the first truly, really great episode is "Lilliputian Hitcher" (the 13th one) makes me feel like I was watching the series wrong a bit, since the reason is a change of pace from sidelining the three kids, expanding its world by having the adults dealing with a problem by themselves, and thus modulating the angst down a tad for once. I know about the series' background, including Anno's depression reflected into his characters and expressionistic animation. But when the first half's characterization and storytelling don't catch up yet with this self-expression, it often leads to a bluntness that overwhelms everything else. The second half is significantly better though, as the story gains more complexity and epic sweep to match its frenzied emotional style. And if the final two episodes don't fully satisfy, their unconventional, ultimately therapeutic expressionism are bracing enough to compensate as an end point.

Now onto End of Evangelion...
    Thief

Post by Thief » Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am
    Alright, here I go:

The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick
    The Knick

*scans other lists and sees not one mention of the Knick*

*Burns other lists*
    I saw the first 3 or 4 episodes...
    illegally
    ...but couldn't find the rest. I would like to watch it but can't find it streaming anywhere. I think it's only on Max Go and Cinemax and I don't have that service.
    Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm

I don't have much to add to the Evangelion discussion other than the Twitter account "Simpsons Films," which summarizes movies and TV shows with collections of The Simpsons screenshots, has some funny summations:
    Last Great Movie Seen
    Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
    The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 pm

Top 10 "shows" in some sort of order

Evangelion
    "Classic" Simpsons
    The three seasons I've watched of Buffy
    The first season of The Knick (uh, yeah, the second... I'll get on that)
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Twin Peaks: The Return
    The Venture Bros
    Adventure Time tied with Regular Show

Breaking B is a trash heap. I guess this Midnight Gospel sounds good I guess
    ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Thief wrote:
    Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm
    I saw the first 3 or 4 episodes...
    illegally
    ...but couldn't find the rest. I would like to watch it but can't find it streaming anywhere. I think it's only on Max Go and Cinemax and I don't have that service.
    I was about to recommend the blurays as being dirt cheap as they were... But it seems something fishy is afoot and they're quite pricy for a new one currently.

When is HBOmax dropping? That'll hopefully make it far more accessible.
    replican

Post by replican » Tue May 05, 2020 7:41 pm

drama, in order:
    the wire
    deadwood
    mad men

comedy, in order:
    seinfeld
    curb your enthusiasm
    family guy

Enough cannot be said about how much HBO changed the landscape of quality television shows. The jump from The X-FIles to Oz and Sopranos is pivotal.

How does Mad Men hold up on re-watch? It was one of the few shows I watched in real time and didn't play catchup/binge. Thought it was absolutely brilliant but feel like a binge would make the Draper character always coming out on top a bit grating. House suffers from this. While House is a lot more repetitive in rhythm than Mad Men, they share that similarity of this revered protagonist who can do no wrong because of his brilliance.
    MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue May 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Mad Men worked really well on re-watch for me, it's so satisfying seeing some of these character going from 2D to 3D - for the first couple of seasons the first time around, I was thinking that the show was stylish and good but unspectacular, and then it kept getting better and better, which is so, so rare.
    Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue May 05, 2020 7:56 pm

You can certainly make a case at this point that Better Call Saul is a better show than Breaking Bad