The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
wichares

Re: The Television Thread

Post by wichares » Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 am

What We Do in the Shadows Season 1 is a great pleasant surprise. Season 2 so far is even better somehow.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:27 am

wichares wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 am
What We Do in the Shadows Season 1 is a great pleasant surprise. Season 2 so far is even better somehow.
I'll admit that I liked but didn't love the first season (I have strong What We Do in the Shadows brand loyalty!). The second season is a decided step up, especially Gillermo's arc. The dynamic between the vampires and their servants was the one thing I found genuinely upsetting about the film and first season, and I like seeing them play with the power dynamic there.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 am

While the marketing was . . . very dumb, I am several episodes into Upload (an Amazon series) and quite liking it.

Something that you would never extrapolate from the ads (or maybe I just tuned them out and didn't catch it) was that there are both mystery and romance plots that are actually decent.

Robbie Amell holds his own just fine as the central character, but it's Andy Allo as his "tech support" who really shines.

The technological afterlife is well-realized, both in terms of sight gags and the larger implications of what it means for an afterlife to be a commodity.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun May 17, 2020 2:54 am

Hey, Wooley, have you seen the new Rick and Morty episodes? I've only seen 4x06, but I thought it was pretty great. Apparently Harmon and Roiland were listening to the audience reactions on the first batch of episodes and decided to play on that. I thought it was hilarious, for the most part.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 pm

I finished the season of Upload (it's only ten 25-minute episodes).

Overall I would recommend it. Yes, it borrows some beats from that other after-life centered comedy, but it has its own character development and mysteries. Its main strength is probably the excellent supporting cast, especially Zainab Johnson as Nora's inept co-worker.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

I watched the first episode of Ultimate Tag on Hulu and it is dumb fun. Really dumb. Really fun. Some American Gladiator vibes and a wonderfully corny troupe of "expert taggers". Also: it was easy to root for all of the contestants! No forced sob stories. Their background stories were just like "I like running, I thought I'd be good at this tag business." The woman who wins her category happily declares that she's going to "pay some bills". People are good sports.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm

The Mark Hamill episode of What We Do in the Shadows was such a treat!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:20 pm
The Mark Hamill episode of What We Do in the Shadows was such a treat!
It is! As good as the Colin Robinson-centric episode is, that one might be my favorite of the season.
The gag where Laszlo couldn't be recognized while his toothpick is in his mouth still makes me laugh.
Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Torgo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 pm
It is! As good as the Colin Robinson-centric episode is, that one might be my favorite of the season.
The gag where Laszlo couldn't be recognized while his toothpick is in his mouth still makes me laugh.
I just enjoyed his sudden (and seemingly genuine) interest in the high school volleyball team.

I also liked that the episode side-stepped the obvious ending (of
having him take the money from the fundraiser and use it to pay his back rent
).
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 pm
I just enjoyed his sudden (and seemingly genuine) interest in the high school volleyball team.

I also liked that the episode side-stepped the obvious ending (of
having him take the money from the fundraiser and use it to pay his back rent
).
I kept expecting the punchline to be...
That his debt was just a few dollars as he incurred it a hundred or so years ago.
Still might happen.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm
I kept expecting the punchline to be...
That his debt was just a few dollars as he incurred it a hundred or so years ago.
Still might happen.
Ah, see I was imagining that with interest it might have turned out to be an outrageous sum.

It did seem strange to me that when the first confrontation happens in the yard no one mentioned or asked about the amount of the debt. We'll see.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:37 pm
Ah, see I was imagining that with interest it might have turned out to be an outrageous sum.

It did seem strange to me that when the first confrontation happens in the yard no one mentioned or asked about the amount of the debt. We'll see.
I do love that Nadja and Nandor were like, “Just pay him, Laslo.”
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:51 am
I do love that Nadja and Nandor were like, “Just pay him, Laslo.”
Nadja is quickly becoming my favorite. Her line delivery; the way she alternates between being the absurd person and being the person annoyed by someone else's absurdity.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 28, 2020 4:28 am

I think Nandor is the only one that hasn’t truly won me over. I don’t dislike him but he never gets me the way the others do.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:28 am
I think Nandor is the only one that hasn’t truly won me over. I don’t dislike him but he never gets me the way the others do.
I think that his character feels off to me because a really critical dynamic of the original film was having a character (Viago) who was more soft-spoken and sensitive. Nandor is maybe the least boisterous of the central three, but a frequent note with is character is his unkind treatment of Guillermo. His character is meant to be this rough-tough warrior, but we don't really get to see that side of him.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 pm

The Great is certainly well-acted and darkly funny.

Elle Fanning really captures a magical mix of unbendable willpower and naivety. Nicholas Hoult's Emperor Peter is, for me at least, actually really frightening. A buffoonish exterior thinly concealing a sadistic sociopath. There's a really solid supporting cast, including Phoebe Fox as Catherine's maid, a former lady of the court who has been demoted to servitude to shame her family.

I'll be interested to see how it shapes up after a few more episodes.

But, man, if you've ever experienced domestic violence or find that content upsetting enter with caution. There's also a lot of casual animal cruelty, which really toes the line for me (though it's always meant to demonstrate the cruelty of Peter's character).
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Midnight Gospel's final episode really won me over on it, though I think the quality of each episode is directly determined by the quality of the podcast guest. I'm not at all a fan of Dr. Drew, so the first episode did nothing for me.

I won't spoil anything, but the last episode is probably one of the most emotional things I've seen on TV.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:18 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am
Nadja is quickly becoming my favorite. Her line delivery; the way she alternates between being the absurd person and being the person annoyed by someone else's absurdity.
Yes, Laszlo, very masculine. That's right, scare him with your circles.
Probably my favorite episode of the show so far. I had no idea the name was pronounced Jackie Deh-tohn-ahhh.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:28 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:08 pm
I think that his character feels off to me because a really critical dynamic of the original film was having a character (Viago) who was more soft-spoken and sensitive. Nandor is maybe the least boisterous of the central three, but a frequent note with is character is his unkind treatment of Guillermo. His character is meant to be this rough-tough warrior, but we don't really get to see that side of him.
Interestingly, the latest episode addressed this issue a bit but in complete agreement.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:41 am

Man, I wish Outer Limits episodes had a point more often. They fizzle out so, so much. Some of the coolest alien ideas and designs ever though.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:02 am

The episode "Afterlife" has the best of both worlds. Plus, it stars The Shawshank Redemption's Clancy Brown.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Tonight's 30 For 30 on ESPN is about Bruce Lee. It starts at 9:00 PM EST.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 am

Has anyone watched the AMC/Shudder Creepshow series? I watched the "Bad Wolf Down/The Finger" episode because Jeffrey Combs is in the first story and I was impressed overall. "The Finger" is the lesser of the two stories, but it has a very good DJ Qualls performance and a cute monster going for it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm
Tonight's 30 For 30 on ESPN is about Bruce Lee. It starts at 9:00 PM EST.
I really enjoyed this documentary, which is called Be Water, by the way. While it's about Bruce's life in general, it puts a spotlight on race; specifically, how he tried to change the stereotypical and offensive perception of Asians in American movies and TV as well as how his unique background affected his attempts at getting into Hollywood and the Hong Kong film industry. I like how the movie shows that Lee's avoidance of stereotypical roles limited his opportunities in Hollywood, and even though his time in Hong Kong made him a superstar, it does a good job at showing how his western upbringing and American wife made him contend with being an outsider. I also like how Lee's famous interview on the Pierre Berton show provides a sort of backbone for the movie for how it intersperses relevant clips, the one where Lee says he ultimately wants people to perceive him as a human instead of Chinese or American being especially affecting. There are some other nice touches like the commentary from Lee's friends and family and the use of recordings and footage of what Hollywood and Hong Kong looked like in the '60s and '70s. While it's very well made and has some memorable artistic touches, the movie ends up being pretty conventional, and while I haven't read any books or seen any another documentaries about Bruce Lee, I can't imagine it will teach anything to his fans that they don't already know. Even so, its focus on race and how Bruce Lee's lifelong contention with it reflects what's going on in 2020 give it an immediacy and poignancy that make it worth watching regardless of your fandom level.

Wow, four posts in a row in this thread. My Chief O'Brien avatar couldn't be any more relevant.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Finished Watchmen, and it's not bad and sometimes very good and honorable and tries to earnestly examine America's sad past, but-- given its strong doses of sentimentality, obscurantism, and traditional thriller theatrics*-- mostly I just kept thinking that this is a show that wears an Alan Moore costume but is still Lindelof under the mask.

*: Moore kidded the idea of heroes battling a ticking time bomb by setting it off before they even arrived. Lindelof ultimately gives his heroes a ticking time bomb, and a fighting chance, and
a total victory over the "Veidt" of this story, complete with the old Veidt quipping on megalomania, "It takes one to know one." Jesus, come on.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Hmm
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:54 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Finished Watchmen, and it's not bad and sometimes very good and honorable and tries to earnestly examine America's sad past, but-- given its strong doses of sentimentality, obscurantism, and traditional thriller theatrics*-- mostly I just kept thinking that this is a show that wears an Alan Moore costume but is still Lindelof under the mask.

*: Moore kidded the idea of heroes battling a ticking time bomb by setting it off before they even arrived. Lindelof ultimately gives his heroes a ticking time bomb, and a fighting chance, and
a total victory over the "Veidt" of this story, complete with the old Veidt quipping on megalomania, "It takes one to know one." Jesus, come on.
I think very highly of the show overall but agree with all this and think most of the problems are in the finale. However, compared to other Lindleof endings, the fact that it didn't completely shit the bed and treat every plotline like Lube Man, I was still relatively blown away.

Everything involved with the racial history and how it was intertwined with suoerheroism was brilliant enough to keep me on board.

And I hate Lindleof's stuff...
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:54 pm
I think very highly of the show overall but agree with all this and think most of the problems are in the finale. However, compared to other Lindleof endings, the fact that it didn't completely shit the bed and treat every plotline like Lube Man, I was still relatively blown away.
Oh yeah, Lube Man, lol.

Agreed that the finale is the most disappointing, but I think a lot of that is a result of small storytelling fuckery episode to episode finally accumulating by the end. The old "if you have an act three problem, you have an act one problem."
Everything involved with the racial history and how it was intertwined with suoerheroism was brilliant enough to keep me on board.

And I hate Lindleof's stuff...
I really dug on that central episode and also on the overall synthesis of rural white supremacy / police & govt white supremacy.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:09 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:00 am
Oh yeah, Lube Man, lol.

Agreed that the finale is the most disappointing, but I think a lot of that is a result of small storytelling fuckery episode to episode finally accumulating by the end. The old "if you have an act three problem, you have an act one problem."

I really dug on that central episode and also on the overall synthesis of rural white supremacy / police & govt white supremacy.
Absolutely. Lindleof is still a goddamn mess of a writer but I was prepared for him to Prometheus Watchmen and he didn't. It was one of those things where even when stuff was sloppy, it at least TRIED to pay off previous set ups and bothered to "make sense."

I'm curious to rewatch it and see if I like it more or less.

But yes, that episode was easily the highlight (next to Reznor/Ross' score).
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:11 am

I didn't have big problems, like, I actually really dug what I saw out of the first episode. It's just, that, all things considered, Lindelof should back off
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:58 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:09 am
But yes, that episode was easily the highlight (next to Reznor/Ross' score).
3X yes to Reznor/Ross.

All of the score is good, but this was really arresting.
NOTE:
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:07 am

His defeat was already definitive. Let it end. Peacefully
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:09 am

Alright, victory pose, everyone
wichares

Post by wichares » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 am

I love Watchmen the show, but the finale is my least favorite episode of it too. For past Lindelof shows, reactions are different for finales of Lost (divisive) and The Leftovers (acclaimed), but I feel like the weight of original Watchmen's legacy finally has Lindelof make a finale that prioritizes plot resolution over character catharsis, the reverse of his first two. I love the finales of Lost and Leftovers, while I think this one is merely very good.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:33 am

Hey, I'll watch it down the line but someone needs to let me use their zipcode first :shifty:

I'm trying to save the industry hea!

Mulholland Dr. was originally a TV pilot, correct? I think I'm watching that one tonight, please try and get some sleep lol
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Peele's Twilight Zone's isn't promising at all, yeesh. I don't know why they went with a one hour format. There isn't much in an anthology like that you can't tell in 30 minutes that you can tell in one hour. It feels a lot more like Outer Limits than Twilight Zone, where you get the point early, probably won't see it developped too deep before the climax/resulion, and have to wait through filler for the episode to catch up with you.

The second episode was much better and had a nice, original Twilight Zone ending. Even then however, there was so much wit and personality in the original series, and it was such a tight show. This one feels draggy and lacks personality.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 pm

I started Watchmen a couple of days ago and, although I wasn't blown away by the first episode, it was good enough to have me looking forward to the second.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 pm
I started Watchmen a couple of days ago and, although I wasn't blown away by the first episode, it was good enough to have me looking forward to the second.
It’s episode 6 that was “blow me away territory.” 7 and 8 were also exceptional.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:42 pm

After 4 underwhelming season 1 Peele's Twilight Zone episodes, I bailed and switched to season 2, because it has higher rating episodes.

Episode 1 of season 2 is nauseatingly overdirected. Weird camera plans, hella cuts, the guy's hearing a voice in his head, etc. It's just too much. It feels like an amped up version of those paranormal reenactment tv shows. The colors are really desaturated as well, and I'm not fan of that whole thing. That and color filters is such a bad trend.
Evil

Post by Evil » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:21 pm

I was really not a fan of what I saw of season 1, the comedian episode, the plane episode, the racist cop episode which was the nail in the coffin. It was just ... not good.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:37 pm

While we mostly discuss scripted TV here, I highly recommend British reality show Travel Man: 48 Hours In..., which is on Hulu. Basically, it's Richard Ayoade and a guest comedian or actor, many of whom he's worked with, spending two days taking in the cuisine, nightlife and tourist attractions in a European city. It's satisfying as a travel show and as a comedy; after all, Ayoade, who portrays a combination of himself and a parody of an ugly British tourist, is one of the funniest men on the planet. The highlight so far is the Ljubljana episode with the equally hilarious Eddie Izzard.
Last Great Movie Seen
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 pm
This was on Hulu for, like a week because of #BLM, but then they took it out :( Will have to wait to finish it.

Anyway, we took Disney+ for a spin, at least for a month, so I started The Mandalorian last night. Not bad, but a bit bland/uneventful first episode.

Other shows I've finished...

Ozark (season 3) started out a bit shaky. I wasn't that crazy of how they integrated Wendy's brother into the plot, or how they brought back Wyatt. Both felt a bit clumsy. But the payoffs were good, and in both cases, elevated by the performances of both actors. That conversation/monologue in the taxi in the last episode, or second to last? Damn. I really liked that stretch of 3 or 4 episodes towards the end. They were really tense and well executed. I'm really glad to see the two kids/teenagers really grow into their roles. Both have become really good actors.

Future Man (season 3) I know that me and Takoma were probably the only ones here watching this, but I'm a huge fan of this crazy show. As crazy as the plot is, they manage to keep a lot of things grounded in realities, with relevant subtexts, and effective/clever subvert of common sci-fi/time travel tropes. The trio of leads continue with their great chemistry and the script is still clever. There were about one or two episodes towards the end where it felt like it deflated a bit, but it picked up quickly. I know the show didn't get as good a reception and was probably on the fence from season to season, but I'm glad they could more or less end it gracefully and in their terms, rather than being abruptly canceled.

Community (finishing season 1) I still have a couple of episodes left from the first season, but I've gradually fallen in love with the characters. I still hold the interactions between Troy and Abed as the best parts of the show, but I'm warming up to the other characters as well. You can also feel the scripts and dialogues are getting a bit more polished. It's a lot of fun.

Bosch (season 6) Finished this about a month ago. Been a fan since the show started, particularly because it manages to stay away from typical cop-show/procedural gimmicks. It feels very real in how it portrays police and politics procedures, and the show has been getting richer as it goes along, as characters grow and feel more complex. They've also succeeded in putting the focus on Bosch and his daughter, and the solid performances from both Titus Welliver and Madison Lintz really makes that core center work.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Started The Mandalorian about two days ago. I'm three episodes in and it is... a bit, uhh, dull and lifeless. Is it just me? Does it get better?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Wow, The Mandalorian was my favorite - or at least way up there - series from last year and episode 3 was my favorite episode, so you might want to stop now if you're not feeling it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Well, Episode 3 was certainly an improvement over Episode 2, which was remarkably dull. Anyway, it's early and I'm not known to give on TV shows so fast, so I'll push through and see how it works.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:46 pm

it's a well-made show but there's not much to it. it's like going to a restaurant and ordering off the kid's menu and wondering "why am I still hungry?" because you ordered something that was supposed to be for children. though I'll say that Mando learning to be a father is a better hook for a show than episode after episode of Mando trying to out-badass himself.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm

It's lighter and fluffier, but it's a nice change of pace to see a Star Wars story where the fate of the galaxy isn't at stake, although I'm sure that will change in later seasons. It also made me feel like a kid watching Star Wars for the first time because it has something the sequel series does not quite succeed at and that the prequel series definitely doesn't succeed at, i.e. characters worth caring about, character-focused storytelling and genuine humor. Also, I'm a fan of stories about lone wolves, so it appealed to me there as well. Oh, and Ludwig Göransson rules. Great composer.
Last Great Movie Seen
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 pm

I watched most of it after seeing TRoS and it was to The Mandalorian's benefit. and I should also give :up: to the soundtrack given how forgettable that element has been in the new movies.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 pm

I loved the simplicity of Mandolorian, it reminded me of A New Hope in that way. Mando and Baby Yoda barely talk. Every episode is about one thing, they do the thing, and it ends.There’s some fun action and character moments along the way but that’s about it. I’m worried about season two hearing all these characters from other Star Wars things are going to be appearing. I don’t want it to get bogged down in fan service and member berries.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:35 am

wichares wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:30 am
I love Watchmen the show, but the finale is my least favorite episode of it too. For past Lindelof shows, reactions are different for finales of Lost (divisive) and The Leftovers (acclaimed), but I feel like the weight of original Watchmen's legacy finally has Lindelof make a finale that prioritizes plot resolution over character catharsis, the reverse of his first two. I love the finales of Lost and Leftovers, while I think this one is merely very good.
I stood up, alone in my apartment, and applauded at the end of that episode. Best television I've seen in forever. And the character catharsis was the whole show to me and especially the final episode. I had tears in my eyes.