A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:How about hearing all of the ways you can eat the entirety of my ass?
For posterity, Smoke Bomb's post he deleted to pretend he's being civil here.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm
Or maybe the person is trying to be civil by deleting it?
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm
Skimming my browser history and I don’t see anything of me deleting that post, nor have I ever pretended to be civil. So lemme reiterate, eat the entirety of my asshole Janson.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm
No, I’d absolutely not retract telling Janson to eat my asshole.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 9:27 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm
Skimming my browser history and I don’t see anything of me deleting that post, nor have I ever pretended to be civil. So lemme reiterate, eat the entirety of my asshole Janson.
Are actually claiming that you didn't post that?

So you're a liar and a weasel.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm
He could apologize, I suppose. Like a man would.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm
No, I’d absolutely not retract telling Janson to eat my asshole.
Very well, nevermind the intrusion.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 pm
It’s the older black vote, black youth (youth in general skewed more towards Sanders)
But they still count obviously, and especially so when they come out in substantially higher numbers. The youth vote has jumped in the past two years--it's just that the older vote did too, so a double-digit gap remained. Youth vote would've had to have a miraculous surge to overcome that. And those older blacks, being a more reliable Democratic vote, are also well-represented in places targeted by Republicans for voter suppression too, bear in mind.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
and during the primaries there were too many reports of precinct closures, and absurd wait times at polling places in areas with high concentrations of youth voters.
I could very well be wrong, but I haven't heard of state Democratic parties shutting down a slew of polling places in liberal hotbeds (I say state parties because DNC doesn't have that authority). There are lots of things mainstream Democrats can and should do to address this and other, less well-known hurdles to voters, but I haven't seen any kind of convincing argument to the effect that enough Bernie supporters were suppressed to change the outcome here. I was ready to vote for Bernie against Biden in a competitive race, but Biden won decisively.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
It’s not quite a conspiracy to say the Democratic apparatus prefers bland moderates over progressives (DCCC backed Van Drew over a progressive and that won them Van Drew publicly switching parties and swearing realty to Trump) with the DCCC currently pushing the latest Kennedy legacy to primary my senator, Ed Markey.
They do, but we're talking about the DCCC here. Not exactly the most powerful institution right now. If the populist uprising is felled by an endorsement, then that uprising didn't have a strong footing.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
Well aware that Bernie voted the crime bill (it’s the main reason I didn’t write him in 2016!) and only supported him this cycle because his criminal justice platform showcased the most effort at rectifying that mistake.
Pretty big overlap between Bernie and Biden on their proposals for justice reform. Would seem overhasty dying on this hill.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
Very much realizing the stakes here as well, but unfortunately also realizing that Biden winning means four more years of nothing done to remedy the many horrifying systematic flaws of this county leading to 2024 GOP putting out a version of Trump that’s evil and efficient. It fucking sucks and I hate it. Though honestly they’re gonna try to replace Biden by the time the convention hits so this is all kinda moot.
I feel like it's a pipe dream right now to expect Biden to be replaced. If black lives are one of your biggest concerns, this is all I have to say. We're in the middle of pandemic with 100 thousand of our citizens dead and blacks disproportionately affected. 10s of thousands didn't have to die but for abysmal governance. We can talk about personalities all we like, but there's only party that's been gutted by a cult of personality. Fuck the personalities for a moment. Do you want an administration of people who actually want to govern in a national crisis, or an administration of backbiters, crooks, and sociopaths intent on stoking division, prejudice, and unrest for their own benefit and at the cost of potentially 10s of thousands of more lives? I have no problem with you criticizing Biden. Do it, my dude. But I hope you also find a way to do it that never loses sight of those stakes. I'm in deep-red KY and we only got a quiet Democratic governor over a repulsive Trump sycophant by a few thousand votes. He's done a fantastic job, and my blood curdles at the thought of where we'd be right now if he'd lost. Maybe none of us here are in a competitive state, but we need to start learning to talk like we are. If our rhetoric can infect three people, then by fuck, please do, and do it right.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:27 pm
Are actually claiming that you didn't post that?

So you're a liar and a weasel.
No I’m saying I don’t recall deleting it or ever feeling any desire to delete it. Which is why I reiterated the statement upon realizing it vanished.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm
I don’t recall
OK, weasel.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sat May 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Not a productive conversation, this.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Ergill wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 pm
But they still count obviously, and especially so when they come out in substantially higher numbers. The youth vote has jumped in the past two years--it's just that the older vote did too, so a double-digit gap remained. Youth vote would've had to have a miraculous surge to overcome that. And those older blacks, being a more reliable Democratic vote, are also well-represented in places targeted by Republicans for voter suppression too, bear in mind.

I could very well be wrong, but I haven't heard of state Democratic parties shutting down a slew of polling places in liberal hotbeds (I say state parties because DNC doesn't have that authority). There are lots of things mainstream Democrats can and should do to address this and other, less well-known hurdles to voters, but I haven't seen any kind of convincing argument to the effect that enough Bernie supporters were suppressed to change the outcome here. I was ready to vote for Bernie against Biden in a competitive race, but Biden won decisively.

They do, but we're talking about the DCCC here. Not exactly the most powerful institution right now. If the populist uprising is felled by an endorsement, then that uprising didn't have a strong footing.

Pretty big overlap between Bernie and Biden on their proposals for justice reform. Would seem overhasty dying on this hill.

I feel like it's a pipe dream right now to expect Biden to be replaced. If black lives are one of your biggest concerns, this is all I have to say. We're in the middle of pandemic with 100 thousand of our citizens dead and blacks disproportionately affected. 10s of thousands didn't have to die but for abysmal governance. We can talk about personalities all we like, but there's only party that's been gutted by a cult of personality. Fuck the personalities for a moment. Do you want an administration of people who actually want to govern in a national crisis, or an administration of backbiters, crooks, and sociopaths intent on stoking division, prejudice, and unrest for their own benefit and at the cost of potentially 10s of thousands of more lives? I have no problem with you criticizing Biden. Do it, my dude. But I hope you also find a way to do it that never loses sight of those stakes. I'm in deep-red KY and we only got a quiet Democratic governor over a repulsive Trump sycophant by a few thousand votes. He's done a fantastic job, and my blood curdles at the thought of where we'd be right now if he'd lost. Maybe none of us here are in a competitive state, but we need to start learning to talk like we are. If our rhetoric can infect three people, then by fuck, please do, and do it right.
I exclusive post via mobile device, so imma do my best to format this properly since I can’t really don’t quote breaks.

1/2 Great point, and it’s personally dismaying to be that we’ve gotta fight an uphill battle against the status quo. Coverage I saw of primaries during/post Super Tuesday where loaded with reports of big metropolitan areas having a drastic reduction in polling places, companies by numerous videos of polling locations showing youth voters subjected to hours long waits which is unacceptable in a healthy and functional democracy and we’re both in sound agreement the Democrats need to fight harder to rectify these issues and restrengthen voting rights

3. The DCCC is still an established influence part of the Democratic party with more resources and infrastructure then the progressive wing attempting to emerge and gain interest. Seeing them trying to unseat Markey (one of the only reps in my state who tried to get my friend rescued from Morocco in March, but that’s a whole other thing) for a Kennedy (who can win MA just on legacy and wants to weed illegal so it’s easier for cops to do vehicle searches) makes my blood boil.

4. I didn’t say it’s a hill I’d die on, but it was the motivator for me to actively support Sanders this cycle. Though personally I’d have more faith in a Sanders administration earnestly attempting to follow through than Biden’s

5. I criticize Biden because I want to see the Democratic Party be better and rise to the occasion to becoming the earnest opposition party we need in this moment to effectively fight back against the GOP in its current full mask off iteration, but I’ve sat back for years watching them play partisan ball confirming unqualified judges, unqualified AG’s, DNI’s, etc. and it’s heartbreaking.

I’m not gonna fault a single person in a red state or swing state for going Biden because those are contests with stakes and importance. Has can be pieced together from my comments on Markey, I’m living in MA and we’re safely blue. Which affords me the privilege of voting my conscience, one that isn’t afforded to you in KY.

I’m also not entirely sold on how effectively the a Democrat’s would’ve been able to manage this as well, not necessarily at fault of their own but they’d still be facing the adamantly reactionary right wing media dipshits that are making managing this even more difficult than is. Oh and they’re utter indifference towards pretending to pivot towards fighting for M4A in a time when millions are out of work during a pandemic.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 pm

The Obama Justice Department laid the groundwork for extensive policing reforms in their scathing reports on Ferguson, Baltimore and Chicago. This effort was shut down by Trump's team. Biden has committed to these reforms, and his AG will most certainly be dedicated to implementing them.

Seems like a pretty clear choice to me.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 pm
OK, weasel.
My latest response to ergil was a double post, add to delete one, checked my browser and there’s no other instance of me accessing the delete post page. Serious question though commander brain genius, if I were to delete a post telling you to eat my ass, why would I continue telling you eat my ass?

By the way, eat my ass.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 pm

"One day, it's like a miracle..."
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 pm
The Obama Justice Department laid the groundwork for extensive policing reforms in their scathing reports on Ferguson, Baltimore and Chicago. This effort was shut down by Trump's team. Biden has committed to these reforms, and his AG will most certainly be dedicated to implementing them.

Seems like a pretty clear choice to me.
I’m glad they started acting in 2015, the year police brutality first emerged as a major issue in America. Even more glad that one of his final actions was renewing the federal contract with an immigrant detention center that’s now a full blown concentration camp! Blessed! https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... forcement/
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Stick with Ergill. I'm done with you, dude.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm

At least partisanship isn’t dead since Obama and Trump can agree on the language used to describe people rioting against deep rooted systematic injustice and oppression https://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/ ... /26585143/
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm
Stick with Ergill. I'm done with you, dude.
Sorry that Obama fucking sucked dude 😥
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm
My latest response to ergil was a double post, add to delete one, checked my browser and there’s no other instance of me accessing the delete post page. Serious question though commander brain genius, if I were to delete a post telling you to eat my ass, why would I continue telling you eat my ass?

By the way, eat my ass.
Since we're still going down this road may I ask in the name of civility if he may liberally apply jelly to the rim before tossing your salad or if you're demanding that he go in raw. If you're insisting on the latter, I must advise Mr. Jinnistan to decline.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 am

Been preoccupied with the Seattle coverage. Protests hijacked by white anarchists and the same kind of chapo trap pricks who still think Obama caused all of these problems or at least failed to fix them with his magical snapping fingers.

#nothelping #cleaversproblem
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 am
Been preoccupied with the Seattle coverage. Protests hijacked by white anarchists and the same kind of chapo trap pricks who still think Obama caused all of these problems or at least failed to fix them with his magical snapping fingers.

#nothelping #cleaversproblem
How many of these people are "tankies"?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 am

Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 am
How many of these people are "tankies"?
Not sure I know what a tankie is.

Oh. I don't know. Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, I do think that there's those on the left, for whatever motive, who feel that it's better to speed the decline of our system than to reform it. We already know that BLM was used as wedge in 2016, and that was when Susan Sarandon suggested that Trump would be better than Clinton because he would eventually incite revolution, like a national emetic. There's a lot of so-called leftist journos that are conspicuusly cheering and defending Tump: Taibbi, Dore, Blumenthal, Ball & Enjeti. Some of them (Nation's Stephen Cohen and Patrick Lawrence) are more open than others on their Putin-love.

But I usually blame ignorance before duplicity.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 3:49 am

There definitely appear to be a number of instigators in these riots that have no connection to the community and may not have the best interests of the community in mind, being called out by the locals in a number of cities. Maybe they're just itching for action.

I've also seen some defenses for looting that amount to "property is theft", but whatever.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 3:52 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 am
Not sure I know what a tankie is.

Oh. I don't know. Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, I do think that there's those on the left, for whatever motive, who feel that it's better to speed the decline of our system than to reform it. We already know that BLM was used as wedge in 2016, and that was when Susan Sarandon suggested that Trump would be better than Clinton because he would eventually incite revolution, like a national emetic. There's a lot of so-called leftist journos that are conspicuusly cheering and defending Tump: Taibbi, Dore, Blumenthal, Ball & Enjeti. Some of them (Nation's Stephen Cohen and Patrick Lawrence) are more open than others on their Putin-love.

But I usually blame ignorance before duplicity.
"Tankies" are, if I have new lingo down, people who basically like Stalin and want a neo-Stalinist regime. True believers with a punitive streak who think that they will be running the new Politburo.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 am

I have to notice how little tear gas was used during those armed protests earlier this month. There's plenty of incidents (like Denver and Louisville) were the pepperspray has nothing to do with agitators whatsoever. Definitely a double standard at work.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 am
I have to notice how little tear gas was used during those armed protests earlier this month. There's plenty of incidents (like Denver and Louisville) were the pepperspray has nothing to do with agitators whatsoever. Definitely a double standard at work.
Sounds like there is a lot stuff going on. Agent provocateurs, LARPers, looters, a grab bag of general fuckery. The exposure of details that don't look right (e.g., was that a cop breaking out those windows) only adds to confusion and agitation.

40 million unemployed, global pandemic, workplaces shut down so there's no job to call you back into a regular pattern of life (so this shit can just keep going), the brave new world we live in where anyone who disagrees with you is literally Hitler, etc., etc. What a year. And we still have the election between the two pussy-grabbers in November. The clown and the corporate Democrat who doesn't know what decade it is.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 5:26 am

Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 am
40 million unemployed, global pandemic, workplaces shut down so there's no job to call you back into a regular pattern of life (so this shit can just keep going), the brave new world we live in where anyone who disagrees with you is literally Hitler, etc., etc.
I predicted there would be riots by summer a couple of month ago, but I assumed it would be due to food shortages and evictions. We're finely tuned for conflageration at the moment.

Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 am
What a year. And we still have the election between the two pussy-grabbers in November. The clown and the corporate Democrat who doesn't know what decade it is.
My hope is that Biden picks Warren as VP and Val Demings for AG. Let's end the nonsense.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:26 am
I predicted there would be riots by summer a couple of month ago, but I assumed it would be due to food shortages and evictions. We're finely tuned for conflageration at the moment.
I think that marginally nutritious calories won't be a problem in this country. I just don't see that happening any time soon. As for evictions, I imagined that they just would turn it all into debt that would keep us all indentured servants to VISA. These are solvable problems.

I wasn't, however, imagining that we would be heading back to race riots. But, I guess it should've been expected. We had the Philando Castille and Michael Brown events jump off with violence in the recent past, and American policing has not really improved. No developed country is as bad at policing as we are. Some areas are probably going to witness massive depolicing as the cops decide to go Atlas Shrugged on the public and/or get called off the public by progressives looking for re-election. In other areas, we may see some police-state flexing to let the public know who's boss, especially in more conservative areas. And we're already getting video of cops doing just this.

Yes captain, it's the perfect storm.
Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:26 am
My hope is that Biden picks Warren as VP and Val Demings for AG. Let's end the nonsense.
Well, Biden is not all there, and I would not be at all suprised to see the VP take over. We've got slim pickens here, so I can live with Warren as VP.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am
I think that marginally nutritious calories won't be a problem in this country. I just don't see that happening any time soon. As for evictions, I imagined that they just would turn it all into debt that would keep us all indentured servants to VISA. These are solvable problems.
That are not being solved. We're about to see the states' rent moratoriums expire and the unemployment stimulus payments dry up with no additional support on the horizon. That powder keg is still very hot and dry.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 pm

I would be truly shocked at this point if Biden doesn't pick Kamala Harris as his VP. Even with their viral moment in the first debate.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 31, 2020 4:26 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 pm
I would be truly shocked at this point if Biden doesn't pick Kamala Harris as his VP. Even with their viral moment in the first debate.
Kamala doesn't add anything. Biden already has the black support of her backers, and, if anything, her prosecutorial record will make it harder to court the younger black/progressive voters. There's no incentive for Biden to consolidate a centrist ticket. I think Warren checks all of the necessary boxes.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun May 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 pm
I exclusive post via mobile device, so imma do my best to format this properly since I can’t really don’t quote breaks.

1/2 Great point, and it’s personally dismaying to be that we’ve gotta fight an uphill battle against the status quo. Coverage I saw of primaries during/post Super Tuesday where loaded with reports of big metropolitan areas having a drastic reduction in polling places, companies by numerous videos of polling locations showing youth voters subjected to hours long waits which is unacceptable in a healthy and functional democracy and we’re both in sound agreement the Democrats need to fight harder to rectify these issues and restrengthen voting rights
Voting rights should be one of the top priorities of the Dem platform.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
3. The DCCC is still an established influence part of the Democratic party with more resources and infrastructure then the progressive wing attempting to emerge and gain interest. Seeing them trying to unseat Markey (one of the only reps in my state who tried to get my friend rescued from Morocco in March, but that’s a whole other thing) for a Kennedy (who can win MA just on legacy and wants to weed illegal so it’s easier for cops to do vehicle searches) makes my blood boil.
By all means, boil.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
4. I didn’t say it’s a hill I’d die on, but it was the motivator for me to actively support Sanders this cycle. Though personally I’d have more faith in a Sanders administration earnestly attempting to follow through than Biden’s
Most of the prison population is in state prisons. I'm not sure what leverage Sanders was proposing to push them, but the Biden plan was clear on the resources it was bringing to bear. Will alone won't move anything.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
5. I criticize Biden because I want to see the Democratic Party be better and rise to the occasion to becoming the earnest opposition party we need in this moment to effectively fight back against the GOP in its current full mask off iteration, but I’ve sat back for years watching them play partisan ball confirming unqualified judges, unqualified AG’s, DNI’s, etc. and it’s heartbreaking.
I know what you mean, although I bristle somewhat at the phrase "opposition party". I'm sure you don't mean it in the way I take it though.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
I’m not gonna fault a single person in a red state or swing state for going Biden because those are contests with stakes and importance. Has can be pieced together from my comments on Markey, I’m living in MA and we’re safely blue. Which affords me the privilege of voting my conscience, one that isn’t afforded to you in KY.
Biden's not gonna win my state, but as difficult as it'll be, there's Mitch. I don't care if someone votes for Biden or not in my state, but I have no interest dumping on him in conversation with anyone around me. I don't want to depress the down-ballot vote because of a blinkered focus on the presidential ticket. Again, we can waffle over two personalities or we can talk about two administrations. Tetchy, comfortably sidelines comments about "Boy, I don't like either of these candidates, amirite?" are worthless to me right now. Do you want people who actually want to govern or do you want the den of plutocratic, plundering sociopaths who've let 10s of thousands die and will be content to watch 10s of thousands more die under their watch?
Smoke Bomb wrote:
I’m also not entirely sold on how effectively the a Democrat’s would’ve been able to manage this as well, not necessarily at fault of their own but they’d still be facing the adamantly reactionary right wing media dipshits that are making managing this even more difficult than is. Oh and they’re utter indifference towards pretending to pivot towards fighting for M4A in a time when millions are out of work during a pandemic.
M4A has grown in popularity among Democrats, but much more slowly among the general populace. Even then, it wasn't motivating enough for Democratic voters in the primary. The left has to be willing to advocate without assuming at every moment that their positions are more influential than they really are. We're speaking from the backfoot on this.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun May 31, 2020 4:46 pm

Ergill wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:35 pm
M4A has grown in popularity among Democrats, but much more slowly among the general populace. Even then, it wasn't motivating enough for Democratic voters in the primary. The left has to be willing to advocate without assuming at every moment that their positions are more influential than they really are. We're speaking from the backfoot on this.
Incidentally, I'm aware of the polling having tipped over the 50% mark in recent years, but again, as the primary indicates, don't overestimate its potency. Hopefully the pandemic will increase that potency, but I'm skeptical of reflexively optimistic predictions at this point. I look around say, "Events seem to be supporting my position more and more!" I don't automatically think, "People will be flocking to my position!" I'd rather advocate than assume.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun May 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:26 pm
Kamala doesn't add anything. Biden already has the black support of her backers, and, if anything, her prosecutorial record will make it harder to court the younger black/progressive voters. There's no incentive for Biden to consolidate a centrist ticket. I think Warren checks all of the necessary boxes.
Not amped about Kamala either. That would be pretty superficial (and entirely possible).
Obscure

Post by Obscure » Sun May 31, 2020 4:51 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tbh I think it’s almost 100% guaranteed he won’t pick Warren simply due to her age. It’s hard to believe they would ever run a ticket with two 70+ year olds.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm thinking in terms of optics and posture, not substance. Younger, non-white, sharp as a tack on a debate stage or in a senate hall. She's the first primary candidate to be seen at these protests. I'd agree with you that her prosecutorial record is a problem for those who look at such things, but I think those who are watching things more closely like that will be comparatively unenthused with Warren, she of the Cherokee descent and constant policy triangulation throughout the primary. (I'd rather Warren than Harris, to be clear.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm

Ergill wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:50 pm
Not amped about Kamala either. That would be pretty superficial (and entirely possible).
Just to be clear, superficiality was the lens I was looking through.
NOTE:
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sun May 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Ergill wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:46 pm
Incidentally, I'm aware of the polling having tipped over the 50% mark in recent years, but again, as the primary indicates, don't overestimate its potency. Hopefully the pandemic will increase that potency, but I'm skeptical of reflexively optimistic predictions at this point. I look around say, "Events seem to be supporting my position more and more!" I don't automatically think, "People will be flocking to my position!" I'd rather advocate than assume.

Before I respond to this (reminder my formatting capability still sucks) a few points to clarify on from the last response (we’re more or less on the same page so this Isn’t a rebuttal)

- By “opposition” I mean not rolling over and signing increased military budgets for a military run by a man who they’re aware is unhinged and dangerous, as well as their role in confirming his judicial appointments and allowing the GOP to radically transform the courts in the way they want to

- With Sanders, the one thing that put me firmly towards his stance was the advocacy for felon/prisoner voting. Won’t get into how much the bad faith attacks into this pissed me off, but while we’re witnessing marijuana transform into a legal billion dollar industry there’s no reason people who became felons/or are imprisoned because of it shouldn’t be allowed to vote

- Down-Ballot races are why I showed up in 2012, 2016, and they’ll be the reason I show up this year (The Markey stuff was foreshadowing) in regards to your state, McGrath framing herself as a “Pro-Trump” Democrats gives me flashbacks to the previously mentioned Van Drew, but by god is she better than Mitch.

Regarding M4A, with how well it was polling during exits in the primary, I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where a continued health crisis that’s decimated employment and pushed people off their employer based healthcare doesn’t boost the electorates favorability towards it.

On an anecdotal note, my boss and I are both registered independents, he skews Libertarian, I skew left. During down time at work (our store is essential!) we talk about ways this COVID-19 situation is going to forever alter the way life is. During this discussions for the first time since it’s been a mainstream topic he’s actually considered the viability of M4A and agrees it’s the right step to take healthcare in the country. Not sure how many more people there are having that turnaround, but I’m safely betting there’s a hearty number.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun May 31, 2020 6:23 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:44 pm
Just to be clear, superficiality was the lens I was looking through.
Oh yah, I figured. I know you're not a Kamala booster.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:46 pm
Before I respond to this (reminder my formatting capability still sucks) a few points to clarify on from the last response (we’re more or less on the same page so this Isn’t a rebuttal)

- By “opposition” I mean not rolling over and signing increased military budgets for a military run by a man who they’re aware is unhinged and dangerous, as well as their role in confirming his judicial appointments and allowing the GOP to radically transform the courts in the way they want to
Slashing back on our military (and obviously our militarized police) is a must. I don't really know what the path was to blocking the judicial raid. The biggest votes on our side were from wobbly swing-vote seats. These are some of our most insufferable reps, but they don't come out of nowhere. We'd need to move sentiments in their states first, so the ground isn't so ripe for wafflefolk.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
- With Sanders, the one thing that put me firmly towards his stance was the advocacy for felon/prisoner voting. Won’t get into how much the bad faith attacks into this pissed me off, but while we’re witnessing marijuana transform into a legal billion dollar industry there’s no reason people who became felons/or are imprisoned because of it shouldn’t be allowed to vote

- Down-Ballot races are why I showed up in 2012, 2016, and they’ll be the reason I show up this year (The Markey stuff was foreshadowing) in regards to your state, McGrath framing herself as a “Pro-Trump” Democrats gives me flashbacks to the previously mentioned Van Drew, but by god is she better than Mitch.
She's not running as pro-Trump. She's running in a state he won by thirty points and made some stupid, hedgy attacks on McConnell trying to put a wedge between him and Trump. For a person to beat McConnell, they'll need to get people who simultaneously vote Trump. I don't like her, and I'm leaning Booker, but I'm expecting that to be symbolic gesture. She'll likely be the competitor and I'd vote for her without question.
Smoke Bomb wrote:
Regarding M4A, with how well it was polling during exits in the primary, I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where a continued health crisis that’s decimated employment and pushed people off their employer based healthcare doesn’t boost the electorates favorability towards it.

On an anecdotal note, my boss and I are both registered independents, he skews Libertarian, I skew left. During down time at work (our store is essential!) we talk about ways this COVID-19 situation is going to forever alter the way life is. During this discussions for the first time since it’s been a mainstream topic he’s actually considered the viability of M4A and agrees it’s the right step to take healthcare in the country. Not sure how many more people there are having that turnaround, but I’m safely betting there’s a hearty number.
I think odds are in favor of it continuing to grow in popularity, but I don't know how fast that will be, and there hasn't been any point during this years-long debate where I haven't heard people talking about it like it's a sure-deal for politicians, even when it polled below 50%, even when Bernie lost the first go, even when it didn't seal the deal in 2018, even when it upset Warren's lead, even when Bernie lost the second time, etc. And all of this is happening, I feel, at very high and cloudy level, easily reinterpreted by framing biases. I'm glad Bernie has led on this issue and helped move the needle to where it is today, but I think he did that more on the power of a message saying "This should be our goal and its a message that can work" rather than "It's a done deal and you're a coward."
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:03 pm
That are not being solved. We're about to see the states' rent moratoriums expire and the unemployment stimulus payments dry up with no additional support on the horizon. That powder keg is still very hot and dry.
A lot depends on how (and if) the economy starts ramping back up, but our masters have to know that kicking tens of millions of people on the street would be disaster. If they were to let this happen, this would seem to me like an end game sort of move before everything collapses. I have a hard time thinking that they wouldn't just do a faux-jubilee (temporary forgiveness in exchange for even more debt) to keep a lid on it. That stated, however, I thought that the election of Trump in '16 was impossible.

The riots and protests have to run their course, and this means we're going to have deal with the virus spikes and property damage on the other side. If things simmer down from here, I think we'll be OK. I'm seeing pictures of people with nasty wounds from rubber bullets and crowds getting violent, so I am hoping that this does not jump off even more. If it does, then this could be a Bolshevik moment.
Ganesh

Post by Ganesh » Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 am
Taibbi, Dore, ... Ball ...
So, so disappointed in these folks. I was a big fan of Krystal Ball during the primary. But they turned their back on Bernie when he endorsed Biden. I saw a left wing host berating Noam CHOMSKY for acknowledging the importance of voting for Biden. And worse yet, is the apologetics they offer for Trump, mostly based on his disrespect and disregard for civility. Again, I understand the frustration with Biden, he's less than ideal and clearly flawed, but my god if one can't see the benefits of having him in office instead of a sociopathic fascist toddler then I don't know what to tell ya.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 pm

I think everybody should be aware of this clip:
Evil

Post by Evil » Sun May 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Definitely some Andy Samberg shit right there.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 31, 2020 10:11 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 pm
I think everybody should be aware of this clip:
A "shout out" to the family.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 pm

Oh, that's nice, he's set up a donation site so he can count other people's donations toward his own business and write it off next year. Very good guy. Love it.
NOTE:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 am

Obscure wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:51 pm
Tbh I think it’s almost 100% guaranteed he won’t pick Warren simply due to her age. It’s hard to believe they would ever run a ticket with two 70+ year olds.
Statistically, women live longer. Warren's not being picked as VP will rest on the Wall Street/donor class, the same ones who flashed the Bloomberg signal when she was leading in the polls.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 am
Statistically, women live longer. Warren's not being picked as VP will rest on the Wall Street/donor class, the same ones who flashed the Bloomberg signal when she was leading in the polls.
Liz was my choice for president. If he wants to choose a black woman, Stacey Abrams is the real deal. Not Harris, not Harris.

I hear police helicopters over me now, as I have intermittently all weekend. Fuck all this.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:48 am

Liz also has crazy energy for a seventy year old. She'll live to be 120. Notwithstanding assassination or any world-ending event.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:54 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:43 pm
I'm thinking in terms of optics and posture, not substance. Younger, non-white, sharp as a tack on a debate stage or in a senate hall. She's the first primary candidate to be seen at these protests. I'd agree with you that her prosecutorial record is a problem for those who look at such things, but I think those who are watching things more closely like that will be comparatively unenthused with Warren, she of the Cherokee descent and constant policy triangulation throughout the primary. (I'd rather Warren than Harris, to be clear.)
Substantially, Warren is an impeccable candidate. It's strange, but a sign of our times, that her fastidious policies became a cliche to mock. Who's that woman calling herself the "election whisperer" or something? She said that attention to policy substance is a guaranteed loser in American politics. She's not exactly wrong, it's just a little depressing that many Americans can't recognize an insult when they see it.

And speaking of superficial, Warren's issues with her indigenous fetish are pretty flimsy. It's already well-established that she never was professionally advantaged for her ethnic identity, and there's no indication of deliberate dishonesty. I'm not going to hate on Warren for believing something her grandmother told her. (Which wasn't even untrue so much as slightly exaggerated.)

The "triangulation" is simply her recognition that a president doesn't have the authority to implement M4A without a Congressional mandate, so she proposed an incremental plan to transition over to what would ultimately be M4A that could be amenable to a legislative majority. Calling this a "sell-out", as the Bros did, is to miss the forest for the trees, but pragmatism has never been an ally to ideologues.