100 Influential Paintings

Discuss anything you want.
Philosophe rouge

100 Influential Paintings

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 am

I stopped learning about art when I turned sixteen. This is a chronicle of that era seen through the eyes of a has-been. Don't take any of my facts seriously, they are outdated, ridiculous and often entirely fabricated. This will fail.
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger
ledfloyd

Re: 100 Influential Paintings

Post by ledfloyd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 am

you better finish this one.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 am

Sweet.
Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 am

3rd.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

:P
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

Yay.
Please TRIP and Die
Bingo Pajamas

Post by Bingo Pajamas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

take the ankle of this has-been loser and twirl it around your head in cetripedal rush for until the colors paint your words.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

rouge best unfinished threads
BSB Soundsystem

Post by BSB Soundsystem » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

Ohhh.
Sonechka

Post by Sonechka » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 am

Excellent, I hope you fail at failing.
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:51 am

Ooh, sweet.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:51 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:This will fail.
Too big to fail.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
arschies

Post by arschies » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 am

Ach! Something I actually know about.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:55 am

I'm a fine art lover has-been, too. I used to be big into all that stuff... even took the Ringling School of Art & Design's summer program (still one of the best experiences of my life)... but now I don't have the same enthusiasm for whatever reason, even if the great respect for it all is still intact. Off the top of my head, my favorites are Bosch, Klimt, Dali (duh), Rothko and Caravaggio.
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:56 am

I took art at school. It was pretty useless. I'd like to learn more.
Please TRIP and Die
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:57 am

Girl in Pink
Amedeo Modigliani

My sister’s and I still discuss the haunting print that hung in our room at the cottage. Everyone in our family refuses to sleep in that bedroom now, strange things happened. The painting left long ago, but it certainly contributed to an air of unease. Somehow, I remember the portrait’s eyes as being nothing more than black orbs... absent of life and definition. My memory was wrong, but my intuition correct; Modigliani seemed to have a disdain for detail, his eyes were more often than not nothing but orbs of colour. Somehow, the lips, the definitions of the surrounding space was always more important than the windows to the soul. Despite myself, my own absent-minded doodles resemble Modigliani’s rigid angular style. I can’t help adopting his long feminine structures, and absurd contortions that defy conventions of anatomy. The one difference being, whereas eyes seemed far from his concern, they are often my only one.
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:58 am

Mod Hip wrote:Off the top of my head, my favorites are Bosch, Klimt, Dali (duh), Rothko and Caravaggio.
I'd love to see a Rothko in person. Seeing one on Mad Men was not enough.

Must investigate.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:00 am

She's staring at me. Wait, no she's not. I don't know - that's really creepy. Wouldn't want to walk into a room in a cottage and see that, especially knowing I'd have to sleep there. All in all - effective!
Immaculate

Post by Immaculate » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 am

I find this interesting.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:03 am

Flak wrote: I'd love to see a Rothko in person. Seeing one on Mad Men was not enough.

Must investigate.
Actually it's been one of my dreams to see one in person as well - the layers upon layers of oil paint he used has to be fascinating to see for real as opposed to flattened on a computer screen/page of a book.

Of the artists I listed, I've only seen in person works by Dali in his museum in St. Petersburg, FL where they keep five of his "masterpieces" along with many, many others, including what I consider one of my favorite paintings of his, Galatea of the Spheres.
Beau

Post by Beau » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:03 am

I look forward to the twenty or so entries you'll manage to complete before year's end.

Somehow, though, I have faith in this thread. We might see 100.
Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 am

I've seen that one live. That and the naked lady.
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 am

ew dead artists.

Even if they did make some art-defining paintings.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 am

Hope I
Gustav Klimt

When I saw Klimt at the National Gallery in Ottawa, I was in a really bad mood. The exhibition did little to fix that, and somehow in my daze of anger, I hated every single work I saw. My mom was upset, because she loves Klimt and even my sisters really enjoyed it. My dad probably said something profound, and just now in remembering that moment, I feel guilty for immediately making a comparison to his comments on Seabiscuit or Slumdog Millionaire. It's not fair, because my dad is very smart, and I don't always treat him with the respect he deserves. Sometimes, he just seems a little lost, that isn't his fault. Anyway, I did like one painting, Hope I. Which is apparently the one that my mother didn't like because it was too disturbing. In retrospect, I regret allowing my emotions get in the way of me enjoying such an incredible artist.

ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 am

i love modigliani.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:10 am

klimtgasm
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 am

Mod Hip wrote:She's staring at me. Wait, no she's not. I don't know - that's really creepy. Wouldn't want to walk into a room in a cottage and see that, especially knowing I'd have to sleep there. All in all - effective!
Yes she is.
Immaculate wrote:I find this interesting.
It's not.

Beau wrote:I look forward to the twenty or so entries you'll manage to complete before year's end.

Somehow, though, I have faith in this thread. We might see 100.
We'll see how depressed I get.

Vasco wrote:I've seen that one live. That and the naked lady.
Im' not sure I've seen any Modigliani live. I don't think so.

Das ƒloyd wrote:ew dead artists.

Even if they did make some art-defining paintings.
Ewww the living.

Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 am

Ewe, the Living.
Please TRIP and Die
ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 am

i'm not a huge fan of klimt though he has some paintings that intrigue me. that one just disturbs the hell out of me.
Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:14 am

Gustav Klit amirite?
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 am

Philosophe rouge wrote: Ewww the living.
Only really good when dead, right?
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:16 am

Vasco wrote:Gustav Klit amirite?
You mean: Gostahav Klit.
Please TRIP and Die
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:18 am

Das ƒloyd wrote: Only really good when dead, right?
There are some living artists on my list. I like movies by dead people too. Shocking.

Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 am

Belly.
Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 am

Trip wrote:
You mean: Gostahav Klit.
I don't speak Alabamese.
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 am

Philosophe rouge wrote: There are some living artists on my list. I like movies by dead people too. Shocking.
I would have never guessed!

I think if anything, the digital era has made finding creative outlets for some superb artists more and more common. I see more and more art I fall in love with every day. Like this little gem of animation for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXs2RRLMMU0

I guess influential is the key word here though.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:25 am

Wheat Fields Under Threatening Skies
Vincent Van Gogh

I once read in a science magazine that was in the bathroom that if you look at Van Gogh's painting from a scientific perspective, the patterns and angles he creates in most of his paintings map some kind of mathmatical pattern for turbulence. I'm not quite sure what this means. I understand that turbulence is something that happens on a plain, and everything gets shakey. Looking at Van Gogh's paintings, I guess this means, turbulence is when the wind gets all broken and squiggly. I'm not the biggest fan of Gogh, but I love his colours. I find his painting in particular, the one that accompanied the very scientific article, to be one of his most disturbing. It's something about all the crows. Crows are evil, and somehow feel like something dark and evil moving over an already uneasy landscape. The combination of colours remind me of my country place, and this field near Bar 402, where the grass is this deep yellow and when a storm is brewing and the light quality changes, you feel like you're standing at the edge of a cliff and you can't help feeling like you want to jump. It's not even a suicidal impulse, but well... yes it is. It's not a desire to die, more that it is an uncontrollable urge to self-destruct. Like when I sometimes stand on the train platform and I'm always afraid that I'll jump, even if I don't want to die.

Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 am

When I was super into painting, I loved Van Gogh. Now that I'm not so much about the technique and more about how it looks overall, not so much... but i still like him a decent deal, and that painting is made more interesting by your accompanying turbulence bit.
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:28 am

Not a Van Gogh fan either, but that's pretty eerie.
Please TRIP and Die
Das

Post by Das » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:32 am

Van Gogh's work is immense. He took an abstract approach to creating form in painting (IMO) and it just works really incredibly in most of his painting.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:34 am

Trembling Fields
Joe Lima

Portable frescos. The idea is insane, and yet the meaning, even just in theory inexplicably spiritual and transcendent. It's like carrying a peace of God or salvation with you. It's not easy though, the technique is still elusive, even though I was there. I don't understand how someone can create a moving and breathing wall, and it scares me how easily it can be broken. There was a brief moment in my life when I thought I could be an artist, I thought I had talent, and I believed I could make something great. Very temporarily I worked as an assistant in a gallery. I accidentally dropped some paint on another artist's work, and I still feel guilty about it. I think his work is generally uninspired, but STILL, in principal it was a terrible thing. I don't think that anxiety fueled day working on this strange painting with paint made from wax and honey, and obscure natural pigments, had any profound effect on my art-making. I don't think it changed my mind on creation for better or for worse. I liked the large empty warehouse where the gallery was. I liked seeing all the other work, and hypothesizing as to what the final product would look like. It's interesting to talk to someone who makes something so different, and try to understand how they work. Sometimes it's a little Mexican jockey living under a giant sombrero, sometimes it's a case of wine. I understand why collectors are able to hide away their prized possessions in closets, even though I disagree with it. If you look at your art as an object, it's often far easier to live with. If you develop any kind of attachment, or find yourself being lost in a work that you have to live with... your life is disturbed, and it's not as easy to sleep at night.

B-Side

Post by B-Side » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 am

This thread interests me.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 am

Summer Evening
Edward Hopper

I find paintings without eyes so uncomfortable. It doesn't matter if it fits the scene, as it does here... it's unsettling and somehow dishonest. I think there is a recurring pattern in my choices of paintings so far, I find them, in some way upsetting. In a way, it is probably easiest to measure the effect of a work that upsets you, just like it's often easier to remember traumatic moments over happy ones. Hopper's work is often associated with typical Americana, and it is not untrue. He's less apple pie and more more film noir though. His work is consistently subversive, challenging ideals of happiness. I suppose looking at this painting, I can't help thinking about my own conceptions of normal relationships and feelings about growing up. Normality is something I crave and fear. Despite the fact that I don't like or approve of so many normal conventions that we accept, I also yearn for a normal life, despite the fact that I know deep down that it probably won't fill any void. What is happening in this moment? Is it romantic? It seems to be clearly a moment between two lovers (or at least prospective lovers), but it lacks any kind of passion and the surrounding darkness is crushing... ominous. Is this any better than being alone?

Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:56 am

Best so far.
Please TRIP and Die
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 am

I didn't realize they didn't have eyes until I read your write-up....now I'm scared.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:06 am

Trip wrote:Best so far.
Favourite painting?
Wolfy wrote:I didn't realize they didn't have eyes until I read your write-up....now I'm scared.
I think they`re just meant to be in the dark.

Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:08 am

Philosophe rouge wrote: Favourite painting?
Of the thread, yes. Or are you asking me my favourite? Because I don't know what that would be. I've forgotten most that I've seen.
Please TRIP and Die
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:08 am

Trip wrote:Best so far.
Agreed.
Philosophe rouge

Post by Philosophe rouge » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 am

Trip wrote:
Of the thread, yes. Or are you asking me my favourite? Because I don't know what that would be. I've forgotten most that I've seen.
I meant of the thread, but knew it would be ambiguous.

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 am

Great use of light, but we all know it's one of Hopper's trademarks.