Fitness

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
flieger
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by flieger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 am

[youtube]SmhgiGZCroE[/youtube]
is it enough to do this to have a body like that at 43? :-/
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 am

OK, gotta ask this before it results in injury...a PT changed my program from isolation to compound, and a couple weeks in my forearms/wrists have started to ache with pain as I do it. I feel it here and there but especially with bicep curls at the top. Today I switched from straight bar to curl, and went slightly lesser weight, but it didn't really ease it. I gather starting properly at the gym with isolation has failed to work up my wrists/forearms enough to handle the weight I now need for these compound exercises with their more weight (I think?), certainly less reps. What do.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Eminence Grise
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Eminence Grise » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Trip wrote:OK, gotta ask this before it results in injury...a PT changed my program from isolation to compound, and a couple weeks in my forearms/wrists have started to ache with pain as I do it. I feel it here and there but especially with bicep curls at the top. Today I switched from straight bar to curl, and went slightly lesser weight, but it didn't really ease it. I gather starting properly at the gym with isolation has failed to work up my wrists/forearms enough to handle the weight I now need for these compound exercises with their more weight (I think?), certainly less reps. What do.
First, If there's pain in a certain area, I would probably cease all workouts that exacerbate the area, for a time. Often (and especially with our computer generation) the wrists are horribly weak and can quickly result in injury if you don't train properly--this was an issue of mine in the past. However, I'm not sure why you'd be having pain at the isometric portion of the bicep curl, but there are so many muscles in the wrist so it's no surprise. And, what do you mean you went from straight bar to curl? Do you mean you stopped using the straight bar and started using an EZ-bar? Curling with an EZ-Bar seems to help me, so you might want to try both of them again when your wrists heal and see which you prefer, because it's not too important which one you incorporate into your routine. Also, yes, starting with isolation was a bad idea :D

There are many ways you can strengthen your wrists, but be careful and start with low weights at first! Also, beware of anyone who tells you to continue your routine because if you just keep going your wrists will strengthen (which, they will, especially using compound lifts), but in your case, I don't think that's a good idea. For now, you can either back off of training for a time and then get back to it while incorporating wrist exercises, or you can perhaps continue to train, avoid all wrist-pain movements, and work on strengthening your wrists--it's whatever feels best to you. Do your wrists hurt aside from the exercise? As in, do they bother you daily?

Here are some links for wrist exercises you can incorporate in your routine--putting them towards the end of the workout may be the best idea, and/or you can do them at home (some may be redundant):
Here
Here
Here
And Here
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:21 am

Thanks so much man. Yes, EZ bar is what I meant. I'm going to decrease weight on the exercises giving me grief (curls and I think rows, maybe something else?), do more reps instead. And finish with those forearm exercises for sure. See what happens.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Eminence Grise
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Eminence Grise » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am

Trip wrote:Thanks so much man. Yes, EZ bar is what I meant. I'm going to decrease weight on the exercises giving me grief (curls and I think rows, maybe something else?), do more reps instead. And finish with those forearm exercises for sure. See what happens.
Good luck :D
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 am

I think I have to face the fact that I am a hardgainer. But I don't really know if it is a fact. All I know is I have not been gaining much muscle my entire time at the gym.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Fitness

Post by B-Side » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Trip wrote:I think I have to face the fact that I am a hardgainer. But I don't really know if it is a fact. All I know is I have not been gaining much muscle my entire time at the gym.
It's mostly bullshit, but keep in mind that genetics play a significant role in how and where muscle develops. Additionally, rates of growth depend on a bunch of different factors. Everything from hormonal levels to nutrition to progressive overload in training will factor into how muscle develops and how quickly. If you're in your first 6 months to a year of training, you're most likely losing fat while you're growing, which might make you feel like you're not really growing when you look in the mirror. Are your lifting numbers going up?
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
B-Side
Posts: 50661
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Fitness

Post by B-Side » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:50 am

I meant to type something decidedly more eloquent and scientific-sounding, but I was on my cell phone and with a client, so... excuses.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
User avatar
Verite
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm
Location: Koo York, Yamerica

Re: Fitness

Post by Verite » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:19 pm

User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

in your opinion, do I need to eat more (bulking)? this log is for 3000 calories a day

73.6kg / 14.5% body fat (5th Oct)
74.2 / 14.8 (6)
74.2 / 14.8 (7)
74.2 / 14.7 (9)
74.5 / 14.7 (10)
73.8 / 14.7 (12)
74.7 / 14.7 (14)
75.3 / 15.3 (17)
74.8 / 14.9 (18)
74.8 / 14.9 (19)
74.4 / 14.8 (20)
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
MrCarmady
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am

Re: Fitness

Post by MrCarmady » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 am

Gaining two pounds in two weeks seems pretty reasonable, I don't think you can expect more than that.
User avatar
Verite
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm
Location: Koo York, Yamerica

Re: Fitness

Post by Verite » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:21 am

Keep it at 3000 calories. That's about 18 times your body weight in pounds. 16 to 18 x is the oft-recommended starting estimate. A realistic rate of lean body mass gain with minimal fat gain is 1 to 3 pounds per month. You gained about 1.76 pounds in 2 weeks without significant fat gain. Increase calories by 10 to 20% only when you don't gain weight for 2-3 weeks.

Without steroids, the max amino acid deposition in muscle tissue has been oberved to be only 5 to 10 grams per day. It takes a while to gain 1 pound of lean mass.
User avatar
MrCarmady
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am

Re: Fitness

Post by MrCarmady » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 am

Phew, my layman logic actually has some basis in fact :D
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:53 am

Neat. Thanks as usual.

The other thing I'm annoyed about is that I've always had trouble activating my pecs. It could be a form problem, bc though I've tried to follow what they say, I'd have to tape myself to really know. I did pre-exhausting but the burn would be in my arms. I tend to do dumbbell incline. I'm going to try a wider grip (with barbell so I don't automatically go close-grip), and stop a few inches above the chest bc hitting it apparently activates delts which I don't want to tire first. Note, pec flyes are the only time I see/feel my chest really working.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Verite
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm
Location: Koo York, Yamerica

Re: Fitness

Post by Verite » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Trip wrote:Note, pec flyes are the only time I see/feel my chest really working.
Do you have long arms? Trainees with long arms find flyes to be a better exercise than the bench press. With the barbell bench press, try to imagine bending the bar into a U which would have you engage your pecs as if you were doing flyes.
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm

I must have long arms, hah. Yes, I read about the U-bending! That was the other thing I'm going to try. Do you think I should make flyes my primary chest exercise, then do bench presses. Or go for the U-bending etc presses first and hard, with accessory flyes at the end of my w/o?
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Verite
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm
Location: Koo York, Yamerica

Re: Fitness

Post by Verite » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:20 am

If you're doing 6 to 8-ish reps, then flyes would be your first chest exercise. Secondary exercise could be incline flyes for 8 to 15 reps or bench press for 8 to 15 reps.

However, if you want go to heavier (fatigue in the 1 to 5 rep range), then go with the bench press for that kind of load. In that scenario, the bench press becomes the first chest exercise.

Have you tried dips (with forward leaning torso)? That might be a compound lift that hits your chest better than the bench press.
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 am

I don't do less than 6 on any exercise. 8-10 for compounds. I like your thinking re hitting flat and incline, esp if I can't get presses to activate.

I have done dips, and when I was doing them I think I did feel my chest stretch in a way that no other exercise was doing. I thought it was more triceps though.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 am

Ah, forward is more pecs, I see.
Please TRIP and Die
KillTrum
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by KillTrum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I've been told that i'm skinny and should eat more... But i have stomach problems. :/

Anyways...
I'll start:

Male, 1.88m, 71 kg.
User avatar
The Guy in the Trenchcoat
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 am

I've learned that I shouldn't have peanut butter in the house because sometimes I'll just eat half a jar of peanut butter with a spoon. Eating healthy is weird. Fatter me wouldn't consider peanut butter a treat.
User avatar
MuntyJay
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by MuntyJay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

I workout on a daily basis and for better results I follow IsaLiving system
User avatar
The Last Baron
Posts: 23212
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 am
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by The Last Baron » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 am

How difficult is it to target belly fat if you're otherwise sedentary all day?
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
User avatar
Eminence Grise
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Eminence Grise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:46 pm

The Last Baron wrote:How difficult is it to target belly fat if you're otherwise sedentary all day?
Usually it depends on how overweight you may be right now. Typically going from sedentary to active can trigger many sudden changes in a short period of time. However, you can't spot reduce fat, so you can't "target belly fat", but you can lose fat, which will help you slim down.
User avatar
The Guy in the Trenchcoat
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm

The Last Baron wrote:How difficult is it to target belly fat if you're otherwise sedentary all day?
My understanding is you can't actually target fat locations. You just have to burn more calories than you use and eventually it'll get to the stomach.
User avatar
Gort
Posts: 9068
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Reducing some planet to a burned out cinder.

Re: Fitness

Post by Gort » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 am

This isn't advice, it's just a few facts that I've learned from reading, study and experience.

Always remember that your body metabolism is dynamic. If you reduce caloric intake, and keep it severely lower for an extended period, your body will adjust the rate at which you burn calories. In other words, you'll stop losing weight on the same number of calories. This is basically because living cells want to continue to live and they are able to do many wonderful things to ensure that they do.

Once fat cells are established they never, ever die until you do, or until you have them surgically removed. They may give up their fat content, but they don't go away. They also excrete a hormone (name escapes me so many years after college) which increases your appetite--specifically for fat!

So, the best thing to do is schedule yourself for a slow and steady weight loss. Reduce your caloric intake. Remain as active as before. Increase your activity as you wish, but this is also dynamic.

Many of you already know all this. I'm writing to people who are embarking on muscle building or weight reduction.

I've used two ways over the years that have worked fairly well for me. Since I am male, it doesn't hurt me to reduce the amount of fat in my diet, forcing my body to turn to the fat reserves in my fat cells. (For reasons that have never been clear to me, reducing fat intake severely is detrimental to females.) A target can be as little as 35 grams of total fat in your food each day. But it's hard to count for non-processed foods. You simply do your best to reduce your daily fat intake to the target level (whatever you choose) and if there is a birthday party and you want a slice of cake and some ice cream, you have it. Note the amount of fat you took in. Don't sweat it. Keep counting fat grams as usual the erst of that day and on the next day. Don't penalize yourself of treats, or you'll be more likely to give up.

So another thing I did, and this worked better, was to eat half the amount that I would usually eat of everything. That was a little extreme, so I modified it to be half of what I would normally eat of entrees, but vegetables (as long as there isn't a lot of fat in them) I would just eat a bit less. So if I wanted four pieces of pizza, I would eat two. If I wanted two ham sandwiches I would make one.

You will get used to the "appetite" response of your body. Think of it as burning the fat reserves you have been carrying around. It's slow and steady. It might take a year to lose 20 pounds, but you won't gain it back, because you will have modified your food habits. And being a little "hungry" won't hurt you. Don't take it to extremes, though or you will begin to go backwards.

Recently I read an article at Phys.org that reveals a finding concerning exercise and weight loss. Exercise is fine, and necessary, but it does nothing that science can measure in terms of helping us lose weight.

Therefore, building muscle mass and tone, and losing weight due to fat are two different processes; they are not synchronous or synergistic. Treat them separately, and your expectations should be on target. Also keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat, so if you gain muscle mass while reducing body fat you won't see as much loss in Kg or pounds as you might expect.

Also be aware (this is from my personal experience, not a scientific finding) that your body will undergo natural, regular reductions in metabolic rate. For me these happened roughly at age 22, age 30, age 36, age 40, age 45, age 50. With each reduction in metabolic rate, I began to gain weight on the same food intake. So as you age, you need less to eat in order to maintain weight. This kind of mitigates against the slow and steady loss of weight, because if your body shifts metabolism in one of these age-related ways while you're cutting back on food, you might find that your weight loss stalls out for a while until you adjust for the reduced burning of calories by your body.

Sadly, you cannot continue drinking beer and eating pizza in mass quantities after you're 20, or 30 and not get a spare tire.

Last thing: some say "a calorie is a calorie." Maybe. When you're measuring physical heat production that would be true. But where the food "calories" come from is very important. When it comes to food, a calorie is not necessarily like all other food calories.

I read about a study where adults were given 400 calories of extra food that they had to eat daily for an extended period. One group ate 400 extra calories worth of potato chips. The other group ate 400 extra calories worth of raw nuts. The group eating potato chips had expanding waistlines during the study. The group eating the different nuts had shrinking waistlines (I assume that other food intake was controlled for, but the pop sci article didn't go into clinical details like that). So how could that be? Strangely, the article didn't say. But I figured it out, I think.

Because a food calorie in a living body is not quite the same as a calorimeter calorie. If you put a certain amount of foodstuff into a calorimeter and heat it up, you will get 400 additional Kilocalories (we abbreviate 1000 cal to 1 food cal) of heat from the burning material. But your body is not a calorimeter. You cannot digest cellulose, the material that encases the fat inside nuts. The calorimeter will burn it, but your body cannot access the fat. It is inside indigestible cell walls. Thus the oil on potato chips, which is on the surface and absorbed by the material that makes up the body of the fried chips, is easily accessed by your gut. In fact, the majority of the potato chip calories come from that oil. With the fresh nuts, your body cannot digest away all the cell walls that encase the nut fat, which means your body has access to much less than 400 cal worth of food.

But your gut still reacts to the bulk of the nuts (which is higher than the bulk of equally caloric masses of potato chips). Keep this phenomenon in mind when you are choosing foods. Fat in animal matter, or in fried foods is readily accessible to your digestive system. Fat inside plant matter is not as easily accessed. But the bulk makes you feel fuller.

Some of my understanding of these things may not be quite correct. I am a biologist by training, but not a dietician. Still, I graduated near the top of my class in biology, and I've kept up with new discoveries. The topics still fascinate me after all these decades of being a slowly aging dude.

And based on my personal, anecdotal experience, all that I have written above is true. Your mileage may vary.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)


The Future Unreels
User avatar
The Last Baron
Posts: 23212
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 am
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by The Last Baron » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Eminence Grise wrote: Usually it depends on how overweight you may be right now. Typically going from sedentary to active can trigger many sudden changes in a short period of time. However, you can't spot reduce fat, so you can't "target belly fat", but you can lose fat, which will help you slim down.
I'm not sure if I need to lose any more weight, I'm hovering around 160lbs at 5'11"

My new fitness project is how to build my shoulder back up without a gym membership, which may be just getting a job to afford it, but. Last night I wanted to test if my shoulder was healthy enough for push ups and that it wasn't gonna pop right out after one. I managed to do ~10 before stopping. Everything felt fine, but apparently I sprained (strained?) my corresponding wrist. Didn't find out until later after my shower, I went to grab something and quite a bit of pain in my wrist. So now my short term project is how to exercise my shoulder until my wrist gets better. I've been doing arm circles which has a bit of a cardio bonus and I have a couple of 1lb weights to play with but I'm open to suggestions.

The short version of the deal with my shoulder is, I partially dislocated it about 2 years ago doing a water slide event which set itself as soon as I sat down in the ambulance. Then about 6 days later it fully came out when I was closing my car door. I've done as much PT as my insurance would allow but I've been taking it pretty damn easy with that shoulder since. I'm really not into being in that much pain. So in guarding my shoulder, I guess my wrist has gotten a little weaker.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
User avatar
Eminence Grise
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Eminence Grise » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 am

The Last Baron wrote: I'm not sure if I need to lose any more weight, I'm hovering around 160lbs at 5'11"

My new fitness project is how to build my shoulder back up without a gym membership, which may be just getting a job to afford it, but. Last night I wanted to test if my shoulder was healthy enough for push ups and that it wasn't gonna pop right out after one. I managed to do ~10 before stopping. Everything felt fine, but apparently I sprained (strained?) my corresponding wrist. Didn't find out until later after my shower, I went to grab something and quite a bit of pain in my wrist. So now my short term project is how to exercise my shoulder until my wrist gets better. I've been doing arm circles which has a bit of a cardio bonus and I have a couple of 1lb weights to play with but I'm open to suggestions.

The short version of the deal with my shoulder is, I partially dislocated it about 2 years ago doing a water slide event which set itself as soon as I sat down in the ambulance. Then about 6 days later it fully came out when I was closing my car door. I've done as much PT as my insurance would allow but I've been taking it pretty damn easy with that shoulder since. I'm really not into being in that much pain. So in guarding my shoulder, I guess my wrist has gotten a little weaker.
That's a bit out of my realm so others may be able to provide better feedback, but it sounds like you may need to do some more PT to strengthen the muscles and bones surrounding those area before you jump into any weight training, especially any semi-heavy weights.

How much integrity did you have when you were doing PT? Did you keep it up after your insurance stopped? Or did you get a bit lazy and let yourself go for a bit? Maybe getting back into the PT again could help. Or when you heal up, you may be able to use light weights, but bodyweight is probably not a good idea. Push-ups are actually quite hard after an injury and something such as lightweight barbell training would be better until you build up your strength. Given that you don't have access to a gym it may be helpful to purchase some cheap weights or maybe find a good book on bodyweight training/plyometrics or even pilates.
User avatar
The Last Baron
Posts: 23212
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 am
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by The Last Baron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Turns out bodyweight was really not a good idea. I didn't try anymore push ups but I dislocated my shoulder a third time the other day, probably as a result of the push ups. It's been 2 years since my second and much more complete dislocation and since physical therapy I've been able to use that shoulder just fine but given this happened less than a week later, I can't think of anything else that would have done it. Anyway I'm talking too much today but I hope that was somewhat coherent.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
User avatar
The Guy in the Trenchcoat
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 am

The Last Baron wrote:Turns out bodyweight was really not a good idea. I didn't try anymore push ups but I dislocated my shoulder a third time the other day, probably as a result of the push ups. It's been 2 years since my second and much more complete dislocation and since physical therapy I've been able to use that shoulder just fine but given this happened less than a week later, I can't think of anything else that would have done it. Anyway I'm talking too much today but I hope that was somewhat coherent.
I strongly dislike pushups. They feel unwieldy.
User avatar
Eminence Grise
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Eminence Grise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:26 pm

The Last Baron wrote:Turns out bodyweight was really not a good idea. I didn't try anymore push ups but I dislocated my shoulder a third time the other day, probably as a result of the push ups. It's been 2 years since my second and much more complete dislocation and since physical therapy I've been able to use that shoulder just fine but given this happened less than a week later, I can't think of anything else that would have done it. Anyway I'm talking too much today but I hope that was somewhat coherent.
It sounds like that part of your body hasn't healed properly. You may want to consult a doctor about it?
User avatar
The Last Baron
Posts: 23212
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 am
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by The Last Baron » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Eminence Grise wrote: It sounds like that part of your body hasn't healed properly. You may want to consult a doctor about it?
I have, we did x-rays and any month now they'll call me about setting up an MRI. In the meantime they gave me some exercises to do and a way better sling than what I had from the first time I popped it. Plenty of icing too. It's getting a little stronger each day but I strongly suspect I'll end up back in PT.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
User avatar
MuntyJay
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by MuntyJay » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 am

this summer I decided to lose 10 kg, it will be hard but I have already hired a personal trainer
User avatar
MuntyJay
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by MuntyJay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 am

I realised that if you want to lose weight fast and stay fit, don’t just concentrate on weight loss exercises or a diet plan. I don't skip breakfast anymore, attend gym 3 times a week, this one https://www.fsfitness.com.au/ . I start my meals with proteins and vegetables rather than diving into carbohydrates. And of course I drink more water because it helps to boost metabolism and thus help in weight loss.
User avatar
Quite-Gone Genie
Posts: 22842
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 am

Gort wrote:This isn't advice, it's just a few facts that I've learned from reading, study and experience.
This is all very helpful information. Thanks.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:51 am

Gort wrote: Last thing: some say "a calorie is a calorie." Maybe. When you're measuring physical heat production that would be true. But where the food "calories" come from is very important. When it comes to food, a calorie is not necessarily like all other food calories.

I read about a study where adults were given 400 calories of extra food that they had to eat daily for an extended period. One group ate 400 extra calories worth of potato chips. The other group ate 400 extra calories worth of raw nuts. The group eating potato chips had expanding waistlines during the study. The group eating the different nuts had shrinking waistlines (I assume that other food intake was controlled for, but the pop sci article didn't go into clinical details like that). So how could that be? Strangely, the article didn't say. But I figured it out, I think.

Because a food calorie in a living body is not quite the same as a calorimeter calorie. If you put a certain amount of foodstuff into a calorimeter and heat it up, you will get 400 additional Kilocalories (we abbreviate 1000 cal to 1 food cal) of heat from the burning material. But your body is not a calorimeter. You cannot digest cellulose, the material that encases the fat inside nuts. The calorimeter will burn it, but your body cannot access the fat. It is inside indigestible cell walls. Thus the oil on potato chips, which is on the surface and absorbed by the material that makes up the body of the fried chips, is easily accessed by your gut. In fact, the majority of the potato chip calories come from that oil. With the fresh nuts, your body cannot digest away all the cell walls that encase the nut fat, which means your body has access to much less than 400 cal worth of food.

But your gut still reacts to the bulk of the nuts (which is higher than the bulk of equally caloric masses of potato chips). Keep this phenomenon in mind when you are choosing foods. Fat in animal matter, or in fried foods is readily accessible to your digestive system. Fat inside plant matter is not as easily accessed. But the bulk makes you feel fuller.
I enjoyed reading this whole post. Just to expand on this point, I really like this visual: Image

I will also add that in the last year or so I've completely changed my approach to fitness. Before, I was very focused on weight loss. But that was very frustrating for me because my weight fluctuates pretty radically in short periods of time (I weigh myself daily, and my weight tends to go up and down about 7 pounds each week), and also naturally due to hormone levels. So for the last year I've been doing strength training instead and it is super satisfying. I weigh about what I weighed a year ago, but I have more than doubled the weight that I can lift in deadlifts, bench press, cleans, etc. The numbers on my scale haven't changed much, but my body composition clearly has. And while this is just a personal preference, I find a set of lifting to be much more satisfying than running for 30 minutes or other cardio. (I still do some cardio, but mostly I do strength training).

If anyone is looking to start an exercise program, I'll highly recommend the Fitness Blender videos (free on YouTube or on their site). They have everything from beginner to advanced and the two trainers (a married couple) are very "real" in their videos, and you can get workouts that are 10 minutes long or 90 minutes long. It's really rare to see a trainer (especially a male trainer) who will say something like "My form is starting to slip on these rows, so I'm going to drop down to a lower weight." They really emphasize what your body can do, not just dropping pounds.

I was part of a team weight loss competition just for fun this past spring. My team didn't win (sadly, three people on the team just didn't try or were unsuccessful in their efforts), but if I can maintain my loss through October, I'll get a refund on my entry fee. I lost about 20 pounds in three months, but I put a lot of it back on when it was over because I was in a stressful time at work and the way I was eating to lose the weight (and the way I was eating after the contest ended) was not that healthy. So I need to lose that weight again by October. The tricky part is that losing weight and making muscle gains are opposing processes. And I ain't giving up my gains!
Post Reply