Fitness

Discuss anything you want.
Bandy Greensacks

Re: Fitness

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 am

How do you go about climbing a rock? Couldn't you simply step over it?
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:57 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:How do you go about climbing a rock? Couldn't you simply step over it?
What happens is this: You trip over it, but then you try to act like it was really difficult to step over, and you call it 'climbing'.
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:19 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:Also, I started eating oats after working out (on the recommendation of a friend), and it seems to be helping with muscle growth
On this, instant & sweetened or not? Wouldn't traditional oats be too slow acting after a workout to do much good?
Please TRIP and Die
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 am

Trip wrote:how do people even eat all these carbs
They're the most abundant macronutrient by a long shot. I hope you're not trying to achieve a certain standard of carb intake on a daily basis. There really is no magic ratio. Just get enough protein, then split the rest of the calories however you see fit. Ideally, this would be through healthier means, but at bottom, weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Eat 150g of protein and fill the rest with ice cream and if you're in an energy deficit by the end of the day, you'll have lost weight.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:Also, I started eating oats after working out (on the recommendation of a friend), and it seems to be helping with muscle growth
Oats are rich in fiber and protein, which is a plus. I don't see of any way in which oats would give you some sort of extra boost in muscular hypertrophy as opposed to any other decent protein source, but whatever gets you taking in more fiber and protein is readily approved by me.
Trip wrote:On this, instant & sweetened or not? Wouldn't traditional oats be too slow acting after a workout to do much good?
Ideally, they'd be steel cut whole oats. Sweetened or not is up to you and where you want your calories to go. As for whether they'd do good post-workout, all protein sources offer their own unique benefit. In the case of oats, they'd deliver not only some carb replenishment, they'd offer a more than adequate serving of fiber. The idea of a window post-workout that one needs to seize in order to achieve any gains is highly exaggerated, if not basically entirely made up to sell supplements. If you've eaten a decent meal within an hour of your workout, you'll be fine through your workout assuming you're not running a double marathon. I take one scoop of 30g of protein immediately post-workout only because my workouts tend to drag and I'm on a rather intense regimen and I wanna be as safe as I can be with regards to buffering my body from potential catabolism. Even more important now that I'm cutting in a deficit higher than is generally recommended.

And of course LEAVES fails to appraise the vast complexity and utility of powerlifting. Deadlifting, squatting and benching all directly correlate to real world movements. And if you think rock climbing requires more skill than powerlifting, then I can only assume you're being sarcastic or you know absolutely nothing about fitness. I know a number of cool people who are into fitness, bodybuilding and powerlifting. Protein recommendations are no different than being told what gear is best to use when rock climbing or how not to fall on your ass. And, of course, most people in the fitness community look nothing like gorillas. This likely stems from a naive notion as to what people can actually achieve in terms of physique without the aid of a massive stack of drugs. The fitness world isn't filled with Mr. Olympia contestants. Way to fail on a catastrophic level.

| letterboxd
Verite

Post by Verite » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Trip wrote:On this, instant & sweetened or not? Wouldn't traditional oats be too slow acting after a workout to do much good?
Fast carbs are important if one is working the same muscles with less than 8 hours or thereabouts of rest in between the sessions. Otherwise, if you take in an adequate amount of carbs over, say, a 24-hr period, there is no significant difference between primarily fast carbs post-workout and primarily slow carbs post-workout.

The amount of sugar is going to depend on your training. If you do the typical ~60-90 minute exercise session (resistance training and/or cardio), your diet can contain more than 50 grams of sugar per day. It's different for those with a sedentary lifestyle. For them, about 50 grams of fructose per day will result in stuff associated with metabolic syndrome. Because active people are depleting stored sugar in the liver and muscles (liver and muscle glycogen), they do fine with higher sugar intakes.

Also keep in mind the composition of your meal. Instant oatmeal with sugar by itself would probably lead to that sluggish feeling of blood sugar swings. However, the same stuff eaten after eating a whole egg, veggies, and a milk protein (casein and whey) or casein protein drink: the carbs would reach your bloodstream in smaller amounts at a slower rate.
Verite

Post by Verite » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Also carb intakes will depend mostly on two things:

1) how much glycogen depletion occurs
2) degree of insulin sensitivity or resistance

Resistance training sets that last 30-60 seconds and cardio that is between moderate and high intensity levels would deplete glycogen. High intensity activity that lasts 15 seconds or fewer wouldn't all that much if at all.

People who are insulin sensitive do fine with high carb diets. Insulin resistant folks do not. It's primarily genetic, but we can modulate it some by our body fat levels. For some people, the leaner they are, the less insulin resistant they become.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah, I mean, if one is inclined to do the proper research and pay close enough attention to their body, they can get a better sense of how their body responds to carbohydrates; particularly in rather low or high amounts. It's just not something I think most people are capable of analyzing properly, or can even be bothered to fuss much with if they don't have diabetes.

| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm

I think we can all agree that if you aren't drinking 4 protein shakes a day with whole milk and natural peanut butter, as well as supplementing with 12 doses of BCAAs, then you're virtually shedding muscle tissue like a dog at the groomer.

| letterboxd
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:29 pm

They're steel cut oats. I'm eating them primarily because I've heard muscle deflation can occur if you're not getting enough good carbs post-workout. Maybe that's inaccurate. I used to eat 3/4 of a cup of peanuts an hour or so before a workout, but I'm not sure whether that would accomplish much long term.
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 pm

I would have thought nuts, full of fat, would be not at all ideal, despite their protein.
Please TRIP and Die
Verite

Post by Verite » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 pm

B-Side wrote:pay close enough attention to their body, they can get a better sense of how their body responds to carbohydrates; particularly in rather low or high amounts. It's just not something I think most people are capable of analyzing properly
Not an accurate method at all, but... Insulin sensitive people tend to feel great/energetic after a high carb meal; those with poor insulin sensitivity tend to feel sluggish/tired. Again, this maybe modulated somewhat by keeping body fat in check.
or can even be bothered to fuss much with if they don't have diabetes.
Some non-diabetics do unnecessarily worry about the glycemic index, though.
Bandy Greensacks wrote:They're steel cut oats. I'm eating them primarily because I've heard muscle deflation can occur if you're not getting enough good carbs post-workout.

Because of the water that is taken into muscles when glycogen is synthesized, muscles will look fuller with enough carbs. Muscles will look flat if they're glycogen depleted.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am

Trip wrote:I would have thought nuts, full of fat, would be not at all ideal, despite their protein.
Fat is as essential as any other macronutrient. If you're like me, and muscle anabolism and strength potentiality are chief among your concerns, dietary fat plays an even more essential role. I believe Verite has already expounded on this. I'm coming up short on the specific type of data I'm looking for. Each kind of nut has its own nutritive value beyond the unsaturated fat as well. Almonds are rich in fiber, magnesium, iron, calcium, riboflavin and vitamin E, for instance. But you can't really go wrong with a modest serving of any nut. In terms of protein content, they're not really the ideal way to go about getting that number up, mostly due to the fat content. A single serving of almonds typically has around 6g of protein. That's about 1/25 of the minimum amount I try to get every day. Not really worth the calories for that purpose alone.

I've completely stopped making my fruit and veggie slushies. I just grab one of those combination smoothies a few days a week. They generally have 3 3/4 servings of fruits and veggies in a bottle; some with an additional 30g of protein. They're good, and require no effort on my part. Plus, they taste a lot better than the seedy, crunchy concoctions I was making.

| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

Verite wrote:Not an accurate method at all, but... Insulin sensitive people tend to feel great/energetic after a high carb meal; those with poor insulin sensitivity tend to feel sluggish/tired. Again, this maybe modulated somewhat by keeping body fat in check.
I can't say I've noticed either of these extremes after a meal -- be it high in carbs or not. Then again, my blood sugar is perfectly normal.
Some non-diabetics do unnecessarily worry about the glycemic index, though.
Which is a horribly outdated system, as you are certainly aware.

| letterboxd
Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

Do they curb hunger?
Please TRIP and Die
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am

Trip wrote:Do they curb hunger?
Fats? Yes. But their satiation capabilities are easily beaten by proteins.

| letterboxd
Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am

No I meant drinking your fruit/veg in smoothies rather than eating them.
Please TRIP and Die
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:18 am

Trip wrote:No I meant drinking your fruit/veg in smoothies rather than eating them.
Precisely the opposite, actually. Eating is always better than drinking. I did it out of sheer convenience. I put everything from those groups I needed into one blender and just had to drink a large cup and was good for those particular nutrients. I'm too lazy to properly cook or work these things into a meal like a normal person. I'd rather eat protein bars for snacks and microwave all my meals.

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I worked out w/ weights this morning, using this beginner's workout:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-begi ... t-routine/

it was very embarrassing and awkward but im glad i did it
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:26 am

hirtho wrote:I worked out w/ weights this morning, using this beginner's workout:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-begi ... t-routine/

it was very embarrassing and awkward but im glad i did it
Good standard routine. I am curious about a few things, though. For the squats, did you use a barbell or a Smith machine? Understandable if you want to start with a Smith machine -- I did. Better for you to head straight for the barbell for the sake of mastering the movement and stability necessary to perform the squat properly, but a month or two on a Smith machine won't hurt you. I'm assuming you've done some rudimentary research on form, so I won't ask about that. What type of rows did you do? There are several variations that accomplish more or less the same thing. Some recruit more stabilizers and smaller muscle groups than others, but since you're essentially a beginner, you should be able to make really good gains just mastering a standard barbell row. I started my friend out on seated rows since it's just easier to master than a barbell row.

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:36 pm

i did cable rows and a smith machine but plan to advance from those after a month this way, neither of those were easy for me to get the form right (I'm at a weird angle on the rows w/ my gut, might switch to barbells sooner, and the smith squats i cant go down all the way w/o it killing my knees, they were very bad squats)

bench press seemed fine tho
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Deep squats can be tough to get accustomed to. They require a lot of flexibility and mobility in the hips and knees. It doesn't come easy for anyone just starting. The more you do it, the easier it will get, though. Seated rows may be the ideal starting point for you, then you can gradually move to something like chest-supported dumbbell rows, then to bent over barbell rows.

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:34 pm

awesome! thx for the encouragement and advice, B! after next week i have private trainer session to just go over my form and i'm gonna look at the other versions of the exercises too

feel free to PM me any helpful links or things that you wouldve wanted to know when starting out, I'd love all the advice i can get
roujin

Post by roujin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:07 pm

do what i do and put your nuts right in somebody's face as they're benching and call it spotting
Verite

Post by Verite » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 pm

roujin wrote:do what i do and put your nuts right in somebody's face as they're benching and call it spotting
I'll meet you at the gym in about 3 hours!
charulata

Post by charulata » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 pm

not without fliegie, i mean
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
flieger

Post by flieger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 pm

69RM :fresh: :fresh:
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 am

hirtho wrote:awesome! thx for the encouragement and advice, B! after next week i have private trainer session to just go over my form and i'm gonna look at the other versions of the exercises too

feel free to PM me any helpful links or things that you wouldve wanted to know when starting out, I'd love all the advice i can get
Just make sure your trainer isn't some asshole doling out platitudes and trying to sell you supplements. Standard approaches to the bench press have been refined, so it might be useful to watch this:

[youtube]PXLEa1OlzAY[/youtube]

It was surprisingly difficult to find a video this straightforward. There are a ton of slight modifications and adjustments people have made to the movement over the years, and people who train for power and to put up big numbers will bench slightly differently, with a more pronounced arch in their back and more leg drive, generally speaking. Just pay attention to the shoulder blade retraction and the placement of the elbows at a slight angle.

In terms of things I would've wanted to know, it's mostly about progression. When I lifted for the entire time I was losing weight, I never paid much attention at all to how much weight I was using. I just had a number that I knew I could hit a certain amount of reps with and did it over and over again. I was never OK with getting 1 fewer rep for the sake of moving more weight. As you progress, you'll need to increase the resistance to make any gains. I just jumped from machine to machine, or exercise to exercise, without my focus being on progress and expected to come out the other end ripped and strong. Didn't work that way. Stick with the basic routine for at least 3-4 months, or until you stop seeing progress, then you can move on. Give yourself a rep range to work with; say 8-12. If you can consistently move a weight for 12 reps, increase it by 5 lbs. This may mean you can only get 8, but that's fine. If you can't get 8, stick with something a little lighter that you can get 8 with until you start getting 9, 10, 11 reps with it, then add a little. OK, I just read your routine again, and they have you set up for an 8-10 range, which is fine and the same principles apply. Finally, for the deadlift, since it may very well be the most difficult compound movement to do properly, here's a quick how-to that will save your back from sheer destruction:

[youtube]RyJbvWAh6ec[/youtube]

And I'm done ranting for now.

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:32 pm

sweet! on my way to deadlift for the first time now, that was a great video - i'd been watching ones called Buff Dudes on youtube for form but these seem better

in the bench press video he doesnt explain the angled elbows tho, what do you mean by that? the shoulder blade thing was new to me, i'll be sure to try that Saturday

thx for the progression guidance, right now for squats I just did the bar (aren't bars 45 lbs?) and then added two 5s for the bench press and set the cable row at 50, the cable row seemed difficult but more just for awkward positioning like i was pulling it at an angle which seemed wrong, but the others may have been too easy I just didnt want to spend a workout figuring out weights while I'm trying to learn form first, but do you think that's a waste then and i should first find the weight and only then work through the sets for form? should it be simultaneous?

thx so much BSide!
Verite

Post by Verite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 pm

hirtho wrote:but the others may have been too easy I just didnt want to spend a workout figuring out weights while I'm trying to learn form first, but do you think that's a waste then and i should first find the weight and only then work through the sets for form? should it be simultaneous?
For those new to weight training, research has shown that "light" weights (loads at which ~15 to 20 reps can be done) are as good as heavier loads at increasing strength and inducing growth. Learning form would be easier with lighter loads. You won't be lifting heavy weights but at this stage your body responds to the training as if you are. This is a great time to focus on learning proper form. The program you posted calls for 8-12 reps. Try those but if form starts to get compromised with those loads, you can go lighter and not worry about giving up strength gains & growth.
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 pm

ok cool, thx Veritie, i'll keep it light for now

i had to back off on the 5s w/ the overhead shoulder press and go down to 2.5s but i went up from 50 to 60 on the lats and can do more probably but wont, deadlift i did 5s and it was fine, i just couldnt tell if my back was straight the whole time but it felt fine
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 am

hirtho wrote:in the bench press video he doesnt explain the angled elbows tho, what do you mean by that? the shoulder blade thing was new to me, i'll be sure to try that Saturday

Do you see how his elbows aren't flared straight out? They're tucked in just a little bit? That's how you avoid putting too much strain on the shoulders.
thx for the progression guidance, right now for squats I just did the bar (aren't bars 45 lbs?) and then added two 5s for the bench press and set the cable row at 50, the cable row seemed difficult but more just for awkward positioning like i was pulling it at an angle which seemed wrong, but the others may have been too easy I just didnt want to spend a workout figuring out weights while I'm trying to learn form first, but do you think that's a waste then and i should first find the weight and only then work through the sets for form? should it be simultaneous?

thx so much BSide!
Verite covered this well. I wouldn't worry too much about progressing on 8-10 rep sets right away. Get comfortable with the weight first, then progress slowly. If you think you can easily pull off throwing another 5 lbs or whatever onto whatever you're doing and you'll still be able to nail 10+ reps without failing, then feel free. But know that there'll be room for this type of progression once you've mastered the form, which shouldn't take too long if you're serious about it.

| letterboxd
Verite

Post by Verite » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 pm

hirtho wrote:ok cool, thx Veritie, i'll keep it light for now
Glad to help :up:
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:33 am

Yeah, keep us up to date on how you're progressing and if you have any questions whatsoever that can be answered without paying a personal trainer $100 for a bulk set of sessions.

| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 am

Here I am pulling business away from the very occupation I plan to step into. Is this occupational self-sabotage?

| letterboxd
wigwam

Post by wigwam » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:19 pm

i think it's going to be like when i took music lessons, i did one at first where they explained where the notes were, then the rest i learned from books and doing and failing, and then once i was semi-pro i would take a lesson every now and then and learn the theory to what i was already doing and i found that really beneficial without it being all academic and beyond my skill level

so the angled elbows make sense and i'm lookig forward today to squatting off the smith machine and also trying those form tips for bench press

thanks again guys!!!
roujin

Post by roujin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm

smith machine
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:32 am

roujin wrote:smith machine
[youtube]IHBLxCPmnVc[/youtube]

| letterboxd
roujin

Post by roujin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 am

i debated posting that.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 am

He's the best.

| letterboxd
flieger

Post by flieger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:54 am

you used one of these, Ver? look at that visceral fat rating! :fresh:
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:50 am

Nice work on dat visceral fat. I had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease before I started working out. Last time I had my blood work done, my liver enzymes were normal. This even in the face of having gall stones. I probably extended my life a good 10 years granted I don't get murdered or hit by falling space debris.

Speaking of things, I just got done cooking up a bit skillet full of 4 eggs and a bunch of pieces of grilled chicken. Threw in two slices of reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese and cooked it in extra virgin olive oil. Probably surpassed my calorie target based on the olive oil alone. Gonna have to starve myself until bedtime. I hate cutting, but I've still got about 6 lbs to drop before I return to a surplus. Since I started out at ~224 about a month and a half ago, I believe, I'm now down to ~216. That's about a lb a week, which seems reasonable to me. Need I be more paranoid about muscle loss and start dropping 2 lbs a month instead? Cuz that's fucking slow and I don't have the patience. Too long to go without actually growing. I'm planning a more lean mass producing phase coming up in which I'd use some off days to squeeze in some cardio (no marathon jogging sessions), and perhaps utilize circuit training here and there to keep my body from accumulating too much excess fat.

| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Working on an A/B style full body routine, 4 days a week. 3 days on, 1 day off. There will always be at least one day between every weight training session. Some will be used for modest cardio or tabata. The days off will be completely passive recovery. I was told by a respectable source that this is very doable as an intermediate. I am reading some things that tell me I'm attempting to implement too many exercises and/or too much volume. I'm trying to target every muscle effectively for hypertrophy and strength, and that's not terribly easy doing nothing but squats, benching and deadlifting. My upper lats, lateral and rear delts, rhomboids, biceps, calves, upper chest, abdominals/core, etc. all receive little if any real attention here. I've come up with two 10 exercise routines to be rotated twice a week, so each variation gets attended to twice a week, while the major compound movements still maintain their focus at the front. Any advice is welcome, but keep in mind I seem to have very little trouble with recovery even doing this strength routine on a cut, and that my focus is going to be shifting to a near equal balance of strength and hypertrophy. I'll be keeping closer tabs on my progress, and trying to add 5 lbs whenever and wherever possible. I've given myself a 3-4 rep range to work within for this purpose. This is an initial blueprint, and I'll be revising it as I see fit given additional research and suggestions from others more knowledgeable than myself. Here they are as they currently stand:

A1

Squats 3 x 3-5
RDL 2 x 6-8
Underhand lat pulldown narrow 3 x 6-8
Bench press 4 x 6-8
One arm DB row 2 x 6-8
Face pulls 2 x 6-8
Skull crushers 2 x 6-8
Incline DB curls 2 x 6-8
Calf raises 2 x 6-8
Weighted sit ups 3 x 6-8

A2

Deadlift 2 x 3-5
Squats 3 x 6-8
Overhand lat pulldown wide 3 x 6-8
Incline DB bench 4 x 6-8
One arm DB row 2 x 6-8
DB Shoulder press 2 x 6-8
Tricep pressdown 2 x 6-8
EZ bar curls 2 x 6-8
Forearm/grip work
Cable crunches 2 x 6-8

I've restricted the leg movements to major compound movements save for the calf raises, which I added because I have the calves of a malnourished Vietnamese girl, and they alone are responsible for all of my emotional problems in life. I'm wondering if I should split my bench up into low volume strength work and higher volume hypertrophy work like my leg work since it is one of my more glaring weaknesses. But would I do low volume for both the incline and the flat? I'd have to use a barbell for the incline if I were to do that.

| letterboxd
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:20 am

I'm thinking my weight loss has stalled. I don't think I've seen any permanent movement in at least two weeks. It's fluctuated from as low as 216 to as high as 220. I worry about cutting any further for risk of losing hard-earned lean mass. Even if I only lost a pound of solid mass, that probably took me a month or two to get. I swear I'm overestimating my calorie intake, if anything. I aim for around 3,000 with an estimated BMR of around 3,400. I also do cardio, which usually takes away 2-300 calories on weight training days, and a little more on days between. I'm gonna give it a few days and see if this recent upswing is just fluid retention or whatever and I drop back down to the bottom end of my recent weigh-ins. If not, I may do a little extra cardio since fewer calories sounds miserable. I was really looking forward to getting back on a hypertrophy routine so I could actually begin making strength and muscular gains again, but at this rate I'll be dieting for the rest of the year just to get to 210. My instincts are telling me to drop to 2,500 and do more cardio, but I can't if I don't want to start using muscle tissue as fuel. My noob days are behind me, so I've gotta approach these cuts more carefully.

| letterboxd
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 am

I've been getting 1700 calories. I don't appear to be losing fat though. I swear my body is unchangeable.
Please TRIP and Die
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 am

Trip wrote:I've been getting 1700 calories. I don't appear to be losing fat though. I swear my body is unchangeable.
Depends on your BMR and your activity level. If you're being consistently active, at least 4 or 5 days a week, and are sure you're taking in only that many calories, then you will lose weight. I can't discuss the physiological mechanisms that contribute to the sheer diversity of ways in which people's bodies react to caloric deficits and increased physical activity, but I can tell you that it often shows up in sporadic bursts on the scale. You may work your ass off in a deficit for two weeks, not lose an ounce, then get on the next day and be down 3 lbs. It's incredibly unpredictable. If you're in a net 500 calorie deficit every day, then you'll lose a pound a week. It may not show up as numbers on the scale, but it did happen. The tricky part is in figuring out just what exactly is your maintenance calorie level. Different calculators will give different numbers. Probably best to average them out and drop it 1-200 calories to be safe.

| letterboxd
Verite

Post by Verite » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Trip wrote:I've been getting 1700 calories. I don't appear to be losing fat though. I swear my body is unchangeable.
Are you around 172 pounds?
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Talk about my full body split, Verite.

Quick revision: I'll move the DB shoulder presses to A1 to avoid excessive emphasis on the anterior delts that might occur with performing essentially the same movement (incline DB bench) at a different angle. I know the flat bench does this as well, but at least with that I'm using a barbell instead of dumbbells twice in a row for a very similar movement.

| letterboxd
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Verite wrote: Are you around 172 pounds?
Yes.
Please TRIP and Die
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:08 pm

The thing is, aside from my 3-4 workouts a week, I'm sedentary in the worst way.
Please TRIP and Die