Fitness

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I have some other things I could mention (like how I'm now substituting chocolate milk for skim in my post-workout banana/whey shakes with - thankfully, since I hate chocolate milk - no real taste difference or a neat tip I heard regarding boosted endorphin release via working out...) but for the sake of keeping potential conversation more manageable...

Muscle confusion. Discuss (period or question mark)

It sounds all fine and well to me but I'm not sure I have the resources to really 'confuse' my muscles without a membership to a full-fledged gym.
User avatar
Immaculate
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Slumped over the horizon.

Re: Fitness

Post by Immaculate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Mod Hip wrote:I have some other things I could mention (like how I'm now substituting chocolate milk for skim in my post-workout banana/whey shakes with - thankfully, since I hate chocolate milk - no real taste difference or a neat tip I heard regarding boosted endorphin release via working out...) but for the sake of keeping potential conversation more manageable...
I generally add a bit of chocolate syrup to my post-workout shakes to aid with glycogen replenishment and to bolster insulin secretion, which drops during exercise and is important for the absorption of what you eat following a workout.
Mod Hip wrote:Muscle confusion. Discuss (period or question mark)

It sounds all fine and well to me but I'm not sure I have the resources to really 'confuse' my muscles without a membership to a full-fledged gym.
There's really no such thing as muscle confusion, at least in a literal sense. However, the concept of training muscles along new planes of movement, with varying rep schemes, and through a number of exercises can better one's results. While I generally advocate sticking to basic, compound movements, the hormonal effects of training are only enacted upon the muscle fibers that are actually recruited during a given exercise. Therefore, some assistance work can be done to fill in your training gaps, if you will, but I wouldn't stress variability. I like picking one or two assistance exercises and do them for a few weeks, trying to increase the weights I use for them as I would for my basic lifts (military press, deadlift, squat, and bench). After progress stagnates or I get bored, I pick something else and do that for a short while. I find this works better than doing something different every time you go into the gym, which should benefit those without access to a lot of equipment.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)


Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
...
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Sounds good to me. My gym is definitely limited but thankfully they have just enough to cover what I consider to be a full workout at this point.

I had heard about muscle confusion from a psychologist, actually, and he launched into it after talking about how at least once a week for boosted endorphin release he recommends doing a deadlift with weights considerably heavier than you're used to handling and repeating as many times as you can up to six times. He's a pretty physically sound guy himself, and states that "if we could get more people working out there'd be far fewer in need of happy pills."

The chocolate syrup thing you mentioned - is that in addition to everything else or instead of a certain ingredient (perhaps I should ask - would it be advisable to revert to skim milk and ditch the chocolate milk but instead add chocolate syrup? Or is the chocolate milk definitely beneficial)? I'm still just doing 6oz of chocolate milk along with a banana, a handful of ice and a scoop of the whey. Is there something in particular in the syrup that means I should probably pick some a discount bottle next time I'm at the store?

And, what the heck, while I'm at it, may as well mention that my girlfriend has introduced me to "Body for Life". I haven't completely checked out their website and from what she says it's too intense for most... but I implemented their recommendation for reps during yesterday's workout and felt like I was accomplishing more than in one of my usual routines. Basically I started at a 40# chest press and did 14 reps (they recommend 12 but y'know...) then moved up to 50# and did 12, then 60# and did 10... all the way up to 100# doing 2. I did two sets of those along with some free-weight stuff for which I pushed myself to use the 30# and 35# dumbbells as opposed to my usual selection of the 15# or 25#. I was doing alright, I felt... except I definitely noticed that my left arm is weaker than my right (I'm a righty)... I imagine this is common for obvious reasons (y'know, writing with pencils and eating with utensils and masturbating and all).
User avatar
Immaculate
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Slumped over the horizon.

Re: Fitness

Post by Immaculate » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Mod Hip wrote:I had heard about muscle confusion from a psychologist, actually, and he launched into it after talking about how at least once a week for boosted endorphin release he recommends doing a deadlift with weights considerably heavier than you're used to handling and repeating as many times as you can up to six times. He's a pretty physically sound guy himself, and states that "if we could get more people working out there'd be far fewer in need of happy pills."
To be fair, this really isn't muscle confusion, it's just exploiting your endocrine system. Most training programs, at least those designed for healthy individuals, suggest performing heavy, compound movements like deadlifts once a week anyway because of how beneficial they are. But, generally, they also recommend heavy squatting and benching, as these also elevate hormonal secretions, work a large portion of the body and thus a large number of fibers, and strengthen movements around more than a single joint (and possibly through more than one plane of motion as well). I agree with him about the last sentiment though -- research shows that bouts of exercise tend to elevate moods, but I see that as one of the lesser reasons to do deads specifically. The physiological benefits should be enough to sell people. Problem is: they hurt like hell.
Mod Hip wrote:The chocolate syrup thing you mentioned - is that in addition to everything else or instead of a certain ingredient (perhaps I should ask - would it be advisable to revert to skim milk and ditch the chocolate milk but instead add chocolate syrup? Or is the chocolate milk definitely beneficial)? I'm still just doing 6oz of chocolate milk along with a banana, a handful of ice and a scoop of the whey. Is there something in particular in the syrup that means I should probably pick some a discount bottle next time I'm at the store?
Directly following a workout, I generally wouldn't recommend taking in much, if any, fat. So, yes, you'd be better served if you were to revert to skim milk with chocolate syrup but I doubt the additional calories will cause you too much trouble. As for the syrup itself, there's nothing really special in it, just sugar. The time following a workout is the best time of day for simple sugars and, moreover, one of the only times you can really get away with eating them. In this, I use it as a reward system. If I work hard in the gym, I give myself a bit more chocolate. If I have an off day, I use a little less. Still, if my calories in < my calories out at the end of the day, I don't fuss about how precise my nutrient timing was; just that I'm making progress.
Mod Hip wrote:And, what the heck, while I'm at it, may as well mention that my girlfriend has introduced me to "Body for Life". I haven't completely checked out their website and from what she says it's too intense for most... but I implemented their recommendation for reps during yesterday's workout and felt like I was accomplishing more than in one of my usual routines. Basically I started at a 40# chest press and did 14 reps (they recommend 12 but y'know...) then moved up to 50# and did 12, then 60# and did 10... all the way up to 100# doing 2. I did two sets of those along with some free-weight stuff for which I pushed myself to use the 30# and 35# dumbbells as opposed to my usual selection of the 15# or 25#. I was doing alright, I felt... except I definitely noticed that my left arm is weaker than my right (I'm a righty)... I imagine this is common for obvious reasons (y'know, writing with pencils and eating with utensils and masturbating and all).
Natural imbalances are natural. You can combat this by doing unilateral exercises and more dumbbell work. Machines tend to limit proprioceptive feedback by taking balance out of the movement. Sure, movement symmetry is gained, but one can never be sure that they're using the same amount of force on both sides of the body, which is just another one of the handful of reasons why free weights reign supreme.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)


Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
...
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Very helpful as usual, Immaculate :) Most appreciated!
User avatar
Oaktown
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Oaktown » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 am

I have lost 140 pounds since my highest recorded weight seven years ago, with 40 of that coming off since November. It has been my goal for five years to be at 225, and that will be reached before my birthday (Mid July). I was wondering when would be the best time to switch from a mainly cardio based exercise routine to muscle building? I mainly lose weight by walking on the treadmill watching movies and tv, but I want to get more definition in my arms eventually. I am going to be under 210 by the end of August so should I wait until then or does it matter?
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15559
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Fitness

Post by LEAVES » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 am

Immaculate wrote:To be fair, this really isn't muscle confusion, it's just exploiting your endocrine system. Most training programs, at least those designed for healthy individuals, suggest performing heavy, compound movements like deadlifts once a week anyway because of how beneficial they are. But, generally, they also recommend heavy squatting and benching, as these also elevate hormonal secretions, work a large portion of the body and thus a large number of fibers, and strengthen movements around more than a single joint (and possibly through more than one plane of motion as well). I agree with him about the last sentiment though -- research shows that bouts of exercise tend to elevate moods, but I see that as one of the lesser reasons to do deads specifically. The physiological benefits should be enough to sell people. Problem is: they hurt like hell.
Are you talking Romanian deadlifts or the other ones... whatever they're called?
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Any tips for combatting shortness of breath? Or is it just kinda something you have to deal with when it strikes you? Really hindered my workout today.

In other news, I'm really seeing a leanness and definition to my upper body that has been missing for a long time... and, really, is better than ever now. Loving it.
User avatar
YouTookMyName
Posts: 2227
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Fitness

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Quoted from the Crew thread in this forum Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 pm
Gort wrote:I did the shorter 11 mile walk today. Hardly a breeze, but it was cloudy. Still got up to 78 F before I was done at 9:14 AM.

You'd be welcome to come along on one of my walks. I try to keep it at 4.5 mph or faster, never running, but really stretching the legs. The interesting thing is that the first leg of the 11 mile course is 4.5 miles, so if I make it there from the house in an hour (58 minutes today) then I know I'm on pace. When I start the other direction, going uphill first instead of downhill, I add 2.6 miles to that, so the hour mark is at some unknown place along the pathway.

The course is hilly. I think I posted on RT once that the course goes from 400 feet above sea level to 600 feet above sea level in a little over 1/3 mile at one point. Coming back up to the house I go from 360 feet to 480 feet in a half mile. If I start off heading East, I go from 480 feet to over 680 feet in about 3/4 mile. Then on the turn around it's up to 680 (from a low point of 560) and then down all the way to 360 f.a.s.l. in one swell foop! It's fun.

In cars and especially on bikes, you gain about the same as you get on the downhill side. With walking you're having to work to pull yourself uphill, then work to keep yourself from running down the other side. So, like I said, you'd be welcome to join me if you're ever here!
This morning I did the 16km (10 mile) version. Since May 27, 2009 I have walked 1466 km (911 miles) formally. No telling how much I've walked informally. Ha ha!

As long as I don't go overboard I can eat anything I want walking 35 km (about 22 miles) per week. Keep in mind that all my life I've been an "eats to live" type person. As a kid I wished we could simply take pills instead of having to stop all the interesting stuff to eat. :shifty: I can't seem to break the 84 kg (185 pound) barrier, although I'd like to be 4.5 kg lighter. Until I was 35 years old I could eat anything I wanted and gained hardly any weight. I graduated high school at 70.3 kg and was only up to 79.3 kg when I slammed into middle age, and that was with a largely sedentary job. Then I ballooned to 93.4 kg (206 pounds) by the time I was 40. Damn slower metabolism.

I put the distances and weights in the best measurement system ever devised, for the majority of people in the world, who don't have to use the outmoded, outdated, incomprehensible and mind-f****ng Imperial Measurements. Cutting a recipe in half with that garbage is almost impossible! Arrrrgh!

Well, I hope none of this sounds like bragging. And I wish I could drop the last 10 pounds [oops, it slipped] and be back to 79.3 kg.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)


The Future Unreels
User avatar
Immaculate
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Slumped over the horizon.

Re: Fitness

Post by Immaculate » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:34 am

LEAVES wrote:Are you talking Romanian deadlifts or the other ones... whatever they're called?
I've done most variations at one time or another and all have their place depending on one's fitness goals. I go by the mantra that if you don't have a reason for doing a specific exercise you should scrap it. In the past, I've done Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, and so on. As of now, I prefer conventional as I hadn't pulled (the term lifters use for deadlifting as derived from the mechanics of the movement) more than 400 pounds for 3.5 years until yesterday. As you can guess, I tend to perform best in these, but still want to give something like Snatch-grip deadlifts a try as well, as these create a greater range of motion and put more stress on the muscles required for grip.
Mod Hip wrote:Any tips for combatting shortness of breath? Or is it just kinda something you have to deal with when it strikes you? Really hindered my workout today.
I'm going to need more detail here. What kind of exercise modality are you doing when this shortness of breath occurs and how does its duration and intensity relate to what you can do without the shortness of breath?
Mod Hip wrote:In other news, I'm really seeing a leanness and definition to my upper body that has been missing for a long time... and, really, is better than ever now. Loving it.
Awesome! Seeing improvements in the mirror can be the ultimate motivator.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)


Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
...
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:41 am

Sit ups. How many? How often?
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Immaculate
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: Slumped over the horizon.

Re: Fitness

Post by Immaculate » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 am

Trip wrote:Sit ups. How many? How often?
Sit ups and the like are just a small piece of the puzzle when it comes to core training. In an ideal, or more athletically-minded, scenario overall stability training is too important to address through sit ups alone. So, to answer your question, three sets of 25 crunches (making sure to emphasize a tight squeeze of the mid-section) 3-5 times a week is adequate, though training abdominals more functionally (suitcase carries and other isometric means) will produce the most functional results. The key is to train for what your goal is. If it's to have a showcase set of abs, crunches help, but eating properly and increasing your calorie deficit should be at the forefront of your concerns.
Viewed
Girlhood (Sciamma, 2015)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)
House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)


Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed
...
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:50 am

Immaculate wrote: Sit ups and the like are just a small piece of the puzzle when it comes to core training. Stability training still needed in an ideal situation, or one that requires athletic performance. So, to answer your question, three sets of 25 crunches (making sure to emphasize a tight squeeze of the mid-section) 3-5 times a week is adequate, though training abdominals more functionally (suitcase carries and other isometric means) will produce the most functional results. The key is to train for what your goal is. If it's to have a showcase set of abs, crunches help, but eating properly and increasing your calorie deficit should be at the forefront of your concerns.
The goal is flatness at least. I don't need a 6 pack. It'd be cool, though. Actually, it's fairly flat already, but more is ideal.
Thanks for the numbers. I like eating crap, though. What's best to cut out of one's diet?
Please TRIP and Die
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:52 am

The shortness of breath thing is weird for me... tough to explain. I had it a lot as a teen and some quack tried to diagnose me with asthma... at least that diagnosis got me out of being recruited for the army. Basically it feels like I can't hit my desired intake of oxygen with each breath, and I end up extending each breath into what are essentially drawn-out yawns before getting to that *click* or however you might refer to it of "ah, that's a full breath." It usually only comes about when I'm thinking about it, actually... so, since I'm typing about it now, I'm feeling it. In the gym the other day, though, I had been eating normally... I had done 15 minutes of hard cardio and was moving on to chest-presses and the other whatever-they're-calleds I do on the chest press machine after adjusting the positions of the bars and such... and it just hit me. I tried to muscle through it but I just felt like I couldn't get the oxygen I needed to go on. I managed some free-weights after holding my arms over my head to open up my lungs for a while but even on the stroll back home I was feeling it.

Don't know if any of this info helps.
User avatar
LEAVES
Posts: 15559
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: LEAVES come from TREES

Re: Fitness

Post by LEAVES » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:15 am

Immaculate wrote:I've done most variations at one time or another and all have their place depending on one's fitness goals. I go by the mantra that if you don't have a reason for doing a specific exercise you should scrap it. In the past, I've done Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, and so on. As of now, I prefer conventional as I hadn't pulled (the term lifters use for deadlifting as derived from the mechanics of the movement) more than 400 pounds for 3.5 years until yesterday. As you can guess, I tend to perform best in these, but still want to give something like Snatch-grip deadlifts a try as well, as these create a greater range of motion and put more stress on the muscles required for grip.
Romanian deadlifts just seem like something people do if they want to destroy the disks in their backs. I was deadlifting 325 pounds as a 140 pound sophomore in high school when I torqued my back which led to a long line of misdiagnoses until finally they figured out that it was an existing condition that should have precluded me from the heavy lifting and the sport I was lifting for - but it was too late. I have no idea what any of the deadlift variations you named are.

I feel silly doing heavy lifting for no athletic purpose, anyway.

Do you know of any good abdomen exercises or methods to reduce pressure on the lower back? Crunches are a terrible thing. I remember one coach of mine taught us these strange exercises where you have your shoulders on the ground and you push your feet almost directly upward and, if you do them right, it does a number on your abs. I don't know if it's the best possible thing to do, but it never hurt my back too much so I used to do those. I don't know if it was supposed to be for upper or lower abs primarily but it made everything sore, which is an indication of something.
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Because I said I'd post something like this... although it's not entirely telling, this is about the closest I'm gonna get to before/after images, "before" being a week or two before starting this thread, "after" being a couple days ago.

Image Image
User avatar
Beau
Posts: 6188
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Beau » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Man, I need to work out again. Go, go work out. Go!

I don't lack physical activity, I guess, what with all the walking. And those two soccer games in twelve hours last weekend after months of not running or going to the gym were interesting. My legs agreed and spent all last week telling each other anecdotes about all that running. Just now they ran out of anecdotes. Haha, ran out.
User avatar
LadyStranger
Posts: 11287
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by LadyStranger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 am

Ellipticals make me feel stupid. Anyone have any tips on how to use one "efficiently"?
User avatar
Trip
Posts: 70527
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Trip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 am

More shirtless posters, I say.
Please TRIP and Die
User avatar
Vivacious J
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Fitness

Post by Vivacious J » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:37 am

Trip wrote:More shirtless posters, I say.
:fresh:
User avatar
Vivacious J
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Fitness

Post by Vivacious J » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 am

Anyone practice martial arts? I'm really interested in tae kwondo, tai chi, kickboxing, etc. The only thing is I don't want to fight a classmate. I just want to learn the discipline for the physical activity. I also feel a little weird getting into this as an adult.
User avatar
Vivacious J
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Fitness

Post by Vivacious J » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:43 am

In that after workout shake you men were talking about, why use the chocolate syrup for simple sugar - wouldn't adding fruit add simple sugars? Or the shake + 2 squares of dark chocolate. Cheap chocolate syrup is trash food.
User avatar
LadyStranger
Posts: 11287
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by LadyStranger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 am

Vivacious J wrote:Anyone practice martial arts? I'm really interested in tae kwondo, tai chi, kickboxing, etc. The only thing is I don't want to fight a classmate. I just want to learn the discipline for the physical activity. I also feel a little weird getting into this as an adult.
When I took Taekwondo, I didn't fight anyone (sparring) until I had been taking classes for about two years. There were tons of adults below and above my levels(I was 15-17 when I studied)- chances are you won't be the only one.
User avatar
Vivacious J
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Fitness

Post by Vivacious J » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:58 am

Mallory wrote: When I took Taekwondo, I didn't fight anyone (sparring) until I had been taking classes for about two years. There were tons of adults below and above my levels(I was 15-17 when I studied)- chances are you won't be the only one.
Well that's good. Why did you stop? I'm considering getting some DVDs or something to start and see what I think. I took one of my kids to class the other day and it looked really up my alley. I'm a good kicker, it seems to get tension/aggression out of the body.
User avatar
LadyStranger
Posts: 11287
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by LadyStranger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:01 am

Vivacious J wrote:
Well that's good. Why did you stop? I'm considering getting some DVDs or something to start and see what I think. I took one of my kids to class the other day and it looked really up my alley. I'm a good kicker, it seems to get tension/aggression out of the body.
I tore my ACL trying to practice a jump. It's good for aggression, sure - it changed my self esteem as a teen for the better. I used to be terribly shy- various training mantras and focusing on goals helped me get out of my shell over time.
User avatar
Vivacious J
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Fitness

Post by Vivacious J » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 am

Mallory wrote: I tore my ACL trying to practice a jump. It's good for aggression, sure - it changed my self esteem as a teen for the better. I used to be terribly shy- various training mantras and focusing on goals helped me get out of my shell over time.
That's why I want to get into it, it's not just mindless elliptical cardio. I feel like if I'm going to waste my free time exercising 4 hours a week it needs to be things that I get something out of.
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Mallory wrote:Ellipticals make me feel stupid. Anyone have any tips on how to use one "efficiently"?
I like to break each set of two intervals into four types... and I know that barely makes any sense, hopefully I'll do a decent job explaining...

On the ellipticals at my gym, there's a window that visually depicts current workload/time remaining through a series of vertical bars... like digital hills. For every two, I'll switch exactly what I'm doing with my body. I start out just working "normally" using whatever comes naturally to push the pedals forward and keep on trucking, trying to keep the RPM at least above 65 (I tend to go all out toward the end, though, humming "Gonna Fly Now" to myself)... after two intervals I switch to only using my legs to power the machine and keep it above 65 RPM. Another two, I switch the direction of the spinning - works different muscles in the legs to go backwards. Then for the final two intervals before I start over again, I'll use only the strength in my arms to propel the machine, using my legs only for balance. It's more of a full workout in a shorter amount of time and if I push myself for between 15 and 20 minutes I work up a great sweat and I'm ready to move on to freeweights and the chest press machine.
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Vivacious J wrote:
That's why I want to get into it, it's not just mindless elliptical cardio. I feel like if I'm going to waste my free time exercising 4 hours a week it needs to be things that I get something out of.
Combat sport, I guess one could call it, has definitely worked for me in the past. I practiced a mixture of Shodokan and Shorinji Ryu in high school before segueing into wrestling and that got me in the best shape of my adolescent life. Now I'm fascinated with boxing and once I can afford a bag I'm hoping much of my workout will consist of practice punching. As of now, I try to do shadow punches/dodges between activities... well, I was doing that a couple weeks ago... need to get at that again, it's a good way to maintain. Speaking of "getting at it again" I need to get back in the gym... it's been... four days? Maybe more.
User avatar
Blevo
Posts: 13348
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Blevo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 am

This "Power Muscle Burn" five day split I am doing right now is whipping my butt.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... split.html

It was time to change things up so I thought I would give it a try. Feeling pretty good.
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am

Blevo wrote:This "Power Muscle Burn" five day split I am doing right now is whipping my butt.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... split.html

It was time to change things up so I thought I would give it a try. Feeling pretty good.
Nice, sounds like good stuff, Blevo. I'll have to keep some of those ideas in mind when I hit the gym later today.

I still feel kinda sore from the workout I did on Saturday for the burger video... gonna need to pretend there's a camera there more often :P
User avatar
Oaktown
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Oaktown » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Mod Hip wrote: I still feel kinda sore from the workout I did on Saturday for the burger video... gonna need to pretend there's a camera there more often :P
I just got back from playing playing some basketball and I was just throwing it up doing stupid stuff and a kid comes over and asks if he could play. I had to step my game up and show the little ten year old how it is done :P.

On a more serious note peer pressure really does help me exercise. I have been trying to build up my stamina by running and this girl jogger at the same park went 30 mins straight without stopping. I swear I went five or six minutes longer than normal because I did not want to be embarrassed. I remember in PE in middle school when we had to run the mile this one girl lapped me every single day. That is not going to happen again even if I have to pass out in my car afterwards.
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm

I've regained 5-6 pounds since my trip to Vermont... I had lost even more than that while I was up there so I'm still on the positive end of when I started all this... but, y'know. Haven't been in workout mode at all since returning from VT... haven't even hit the gym in spite of betina often mentioning the idea. What's worse, some recent additions to my diet have been (gasp!) frozen yogurt, Doritos and Cuban soda.

...How are you doing?
User avatar
Gort
Posts: 9068
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Reducing some planet to a burned out cinder.

Re: Fitness

Post by Gort » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Mod Hip wrote:I've regained 5-6 pounds since my trip to Vermont... I had lost even more than that while I was up there so I'm still on the positive end of when I started all this... but, y'know. Haven't been in workout mode at all since returning from VT... haven't even hit the gym in spite of betina often mentioning the idea. What's worse, some recent additions to my diet have been (gasp!) frozen yogurt, Doritos and Cuban soda.

...How are you doing?
Jul 14 to Aug 29.

Has it really been that long?
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)


The Future Unreels
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Gort wrote:Has it really been that long?
Heh, yeah, I know... but... y'know... and stuff... I do plan to get back in the gym and lose these pounds that have snuck back.
User avatar
DrunkenJules
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 2:58 am

Re: Fitness

Post by DrunkenJules » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 am

Getting back to my workout routine tomorrow!
User avatar
Derninan
Posts: 7547
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Derninan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:11 am

Just worked out tonight for the first time in roughly two weeks. Felt good, but my stamina was pretty low, so it wasn't the best workout. Forced myself to exercise because I start a new job tomorrow and I wanted to get a decent rest but, alas, here I am - procrastinating.
User avatar
The Last Baron
Posts: 23212
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 am
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by The Last Baron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:46 pm

Muscle failure is a neat feeling.
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive
User avatar
shrewbetina
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Fitness

Post by shrewbetina » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 am

Mod and I are getting back on the workout bandwagon next week or even this weekend if possible, lots of positive encouragement would be greatly appreciated!! :D I used to have so much more muscle before I had Tuesday and I really want to work on getting it back and feeling strong again, plus it does wonders for my mood!! I miss the rush of a good workout session!!
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 am

When I shaved today I noticed how much fat has crept back into my cheeks. It's not just my belly anymore!! Damn ice cream... and... the whole getting-out-of-the-going-to-the-gym-habit thing...
User avatar
Oaktown
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Oaktown » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:26 pm

I got a 30 day free pass to a gym and went for the first time today. The Ellipticals destroyed my calves. I have never been on one before, and I was doing 9 speed for about ten minutes before I had to jump off because my legs would not stand anymore :P.
User avatar
-castor-
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by -castor- » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Vivacious J wrote:Anyone practice martial arts? I'm really interested in tae kwondo, tai chi, kickboxing, etc. The only thing is I don't want to fight a classmate. I just want to learn the discipline for the physical activity. I also feel a little weird getting into this as an adult.
From experience, I can highly recommend Muay Thai :fresh: Besides the techniques and light sparring (don't worry, once you start you'll love it), there are a lot of fitness drills. Do a class 2/3 times a week and you'll soon be in great shape.
LISTENING TO: Audio Bullys - Higher Than The Eiffel | MGMT - Congratulations | Jamie T - Kings & Queens | dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip - The Logic of Chance

FACEBOOK
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 am

Oaktown wrote:I got a 30 day free pass to a gym and went for the first time today. The Ellipticals destroyed my calves. I have never been on one before, and I was doing 9 speed for about ten minutes before I had to jump off because my legs would not stand anymore :P.
Image
User avatar
Oaktown
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 am

Re: Fitness

Post by Oaktown » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:19 am

Pretty much how it went.
User avatar
empy
Posts: 8070
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am
Location: CA

Re: Fitness

Post by empy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 am

I still run three miles errday but my knees are aging approximately 1000x faster than I am, so perhaps not for much longer. I'm down to 139 but that's mostly to do with not eating very much. Still lots to go...
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:54 am

I'm still in lardass mode, hovering around 210# (6' 1"... or 2", I forget). Planning to kick my ass into shape once this impending relocation is complete.
User avatar
Alice
Posts: 38293
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:26 am
Location: down the rabbithole

Re: Fitness

Post by Alice » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 am

Hey, this thread is relevant to my interests now.

Should you drink a protein shake before or after your workout?
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by plain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 am

Alice wrote:Hey, this thread is relevant to my interests now.

Should you drink a protein shake before or after your workout?
after
Mod Hip
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Fitness

Post by Mod Hip » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

Light the Immaculate signal!

I always guzzled one after. Really need to get back in the gym, myself. I'm down to around 197# now, but... well, the Nintendo 3DS doubles as a pedometer so I've made sure to keep it on me at most times to track what I'll call my "activity" and it's reassured me that yeah, I'm one lazy bastard. Unless my daughter's home or I'm at work I barely clock 300 steps in a day and that's just between my computer chair and the fridge.
User avatar
Alice
Posts: 38293
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:26 am
Location: down the rabbithole

Re: Fitness

Post by Alice » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 am

plain wrote:
after
That's what I thought but I'm new to this. I'm going to be making them myself cause I'm cheap so hopefully it's not too gross by the time I get to it.
User avatar
plain
Posts: 17300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Fitness

Post by plain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 am

Alice wrote:
That's what I thought but I'm new to this. I'm going to be making them myself cause I'm cheap so hopefully it's not too gross by the time I get to it.
I'm assuming you're doing weight training?
Post Reply