The Video Game Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 am

I don't have a problem with the change in pacing necessarily. I just don't find Xen as an environment as rich in detail as Black Mesa. One is atmospheric, but the other feels both atmospheric and lived in. I also think platforming is a pain in the ass from a 3D first person perspective, and the emphasis on that element gets a lot heavier in the Xen levels (while the kind of puzzles that were common and organic to the Black Mesa setting are in shorter supply).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:26 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 am
I don't have a problem with the change in pacing necessarily. I just don't find Xen as an environment as rich in detail as Black Mesa. One is atmospheric, but the other feels both atmospheric and lived in. I also think platforming is a pain in the ass from a 3D first person perspective, and the emphasis on that element gets a lot heavier in the Xen levels (while the kind of puzzles that were common and organic to the Black Mesa setting are in shorter supply).
Hmm, I actually find that the Xen stages offer their fair share of effective detailed moments.
For instance, Interloper did a good job at showing how the Xen creatures were ignoble to a certain degree in the way of how they were enslaving the Vortigaunts and made them work at a factory where they were required to produce the Alien Grunts found throughout the game. I found this to be an effective moment of tragic irony, because while Questionable Ethics showed how the Black Mesa scientists had their flaws, so did the Xen creatures. I also liked how in Gonarch's Lair, it almost felt tragic to have to kill the headcrab's mother as this drove home the point of you being an intruder.
I completely get the criticism of platforming becoming more abundant. Personally, I've never had an issue with it, but I get why other people do.