The Video Game Thread

Discuss anything you want.
The Nameless Two

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 pm

Oh yes, I do want to give Sekiro a go. That game fascinates me on a narrative level, if there is one thing From absolutely nails its lore and atmosphere
Macrology

Post by Macrology » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 pm

Man, I tried playing Dark Souls (the original remaster), and it was not my cup of tea. It's hard, sure, but so much of the difficulty was attributable to some very faulty gaming mechanics and an esoteric class/level system I couldn't be bothered to decipher. I knew it wasn't for me when a friend (who loves the games) saw what class of character I was playing and suggested I start over with a new class because it was pretty much impossible to win with the one I'd chosen.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 pm
Oh yes, I do want to give Sekiro a go. That game fascinates me on a narrative level, if there is one thing From absolutely nails its lore and atmosphere
It’s certainly the most narrative heavy modern From Software game, lots of good lore and side characters/quest lines. Gameplay is fantastic with some of the studio’s best boss battles
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 am

The Nameless Two wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 pm
I've heard many ends of the spectrum when it comes to DOOM Eternal and am thinking of diving into it today. DOOM 2016, of course, is a high masterpiece of gaming so we'll see I guess!

I'm a proponent of "gitting gud" as I'm drawn to the largest challenges in gaming. Tetris TGM3, NInja Gaiden series (particularly the Xbox titles), combo action in general, bullet hell shooters... the more rigid the expectations are for success the more I'm drawn into it - but that takes a careful balance which is rarely found in western entertainment. That being said, I borderline hate the Dark Souls series save for Demon's Souls. I don't think they are all that well balanced and very easy to exploit if you are willing to learn the steps... which I'm not because the gameplay is so fundamentally slow and unappealing to me
Well, you should love this then. It's foregoes much of the exploration and problem/puzzle-solving of the 2016 game, which I agree is a classic, but in terms of the action it is just a fucking onslaught at times. It took me nearly 50 attempts to survive the first major arena (at least I think it was the first one). And there are other opportunities for that level of difficulty/action sprinkled in sort of outside the linear path of the game.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:24 am

Well, after giving up on DOOM: Eternal, which was a total waste of my money and time for what I like in games (despite loving its predecessor)...

I have started Metro: Exodus.
This game is baffling to me.
It's rated 9/10 on Steam and 8.5/10 on IGN.
Yet, despite coming out just last year, it feels like a 10 year-old game. I played Resistance 3, from 2011, just a couple months ago and Metro Exodus feels about the same. So far, I would actually give the edge to R3. The gameplay/mechanics in this feel clunky, imprecise, and dated. When I shoot at people, aiming is incredibly vague and I usually don't feel like I should be hitting anything, yet somehow everybody's dead anyway. Crawling, which is key to the game, is actually awkward and the weapons menu/exchange is non-intuitive.
But also, I would bet that a full 50% of my game-time so far has been cut-scenes/exposition-dumps or these bits where I don't control the action and my avatar just does the thing that he's supposed to do next to advance the game. I've hardly participated in any action several missions into the game. Action sequences are often very short, like a matter of just a few minutes before I am once again knocked unconscious or seemingly mortally wounded (as part of the storyline) so that NPCs can come and collect me and advance the story. There is little if any discovery and precious little action.
Feels like another disappointment is coming my way and I may bail on this title as well and just get LoU2 and be done with it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Ah. A Plague Tale. Now we're cookin' with gas.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 am

I rescind my previous statement.
For all the promise A Plague's Tale shows early it squanders pretty much all of it, in my opinion, over the final, say, 40% of the game, when I became increasingly frustrated and began to feel that it was a slog I didn't even care to finish. I did but by the end I really was just grinding it out to get it over with so I would never think about going back.
I do not recommend this game, honestly, at all.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 am

Having finally played DOOM ETERNAL, can confirm that it FUCKS, but whoever wrote the back story has to be like the Duke of Incels.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 am
whoever wrote the back story has to be like the Duke of Incels.
Now I really want to play it.
...What? It just sounds like a good game. That's the only reason. Honest!
Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 am
Having finally played DOOM ETERNAL, can confirm that it FUCKS, but whoever wrote the back story has to be like the Duke of Incels.
It is fun how much difference there is in what games people like and don't like. People act like if you play video games at all then it's all just the same thing so you must have played and loved whatever game they heard was great. Like, "Oh you listen to music? Well then you must love Beethoven, Garth Brooks, and Tupac!" It plays out a little more subtly than that IRL, of course.
And games are the same.
I ended up giving up on DOOM ETERNAL and only a couple-few hours into the game. I actually even deleted it from my hard drive and then went back and played some DOOM (2016) to wash the taste out of my mouth. Might even go back and play some original DOOM.
But I know a lot of other people thought it was great.
Now, I loved What Remains Of Edith Finch, Firewatch, and Gone Home, but The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter didn't do much for me and I'm not sure I'm gonna get that far into Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. Even though all those games are standouts in basically the same sub-genre.
I don't know if that comparison is totally apt, since my main complaint about DOOM ETERNAL is that it really kinda changed genres on me, but I think one gets the point.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:52 pm

My cat’s breath smells like cat food
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Been using this for my emulator, highly recommended.

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Works great for PSX games, works well for 16-bit too. Also compatible with the Switch.

It's funny, playing through a lot of games and getting a quick burst of "Oh yeah this was fun" juice that fades pretty quickly (Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Blackthorne, et al), and I don't return to the game...

but Super Street Fighter II and Donkey Kong Country 2 are still so fucking playable that it's shocking.

What's so great about SFII is that they nailed the handling/interaction of each individual character so well. Ryu feels sturdy. Dhalsim feels sluggish, etc. And when I screw up, it's because I screwed up. It's almost never cheap AI or poor controls. They give you the tools and trust you to sort it out.

And DKC2 needs no commentary. One of the all-time platformers. Soundtrack, graphics, play control, the precise art design that feels homey and childlike but with pinches of the grotesque.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Awesome Damu. I got a very similar one I use for Switch and it’s my favorite controller.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm
Awesome Damu. I got a very similar one I use for Switch and it’s my favorite controller.
Nice! Yeah, they can be a great combination of solid craft and nostalgia.
NOTE:
Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am

DKC2 is one of the Goats only matched by Tropical Freeze.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.