The Video Game Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Ace

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Ace » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is fun. I'm liking the Metroidvania aspect of it. But the combat just hasn't clicked with me. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten all the force abilities yet.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Ace wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is fun. I'm liking the Metroidvania aspect of it. But the combat just hasn't clicked with me. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten all the force abilities yet.
I’m loving it too but having a hard time with the combat as well, especially parry. The force powers definitely make things easier.

BD-1 might be my favorite droid in all of Star Wats.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Is it just me or did Playdead's LIMBO and INSIDE not age particularly well? I replayed INSIDE last night, and I'm starting to feel like I gave the games too much credit.
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:59 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 pm
Is it just me or did Playdead's LIMBO and INSIDE not age particularly well? I replayed INSIDE last night, and I'm starting to feel like I gave the games too much credit.
I've never played either one, but I have watched other people play them on Youtube before, and I remember both of them being incredibly beautiful visually, and the various gameplay mechanics seemed unique, inventive, and constantly refreshing to witness, so out of curiosity, how didn't they age well?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Stu wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:59 am
I've never played either one, but I have watched other people play them on Youtube before, and I remember both of them being incredibly beautiful visually, and the various gameplay mechanics seemed unique, inventive, and constantly refreshing to witness, so out of curiosity, how didn't they age well?
The issue I have with both of these games is that they lack cohesion. With LIMBO, it starts out well as the spider and the tribal kids suggest possible meanings such as a Lord of the Flies-esque environment. After that though, the game quickly devolves into a random assortment of physics and logic based puzzles which not only say nothing about the story, but add nothing to it. With INSIDE, I think it's a better game as it has more of a story behind it, but, other than some sections of running away from adults and dogs which make sense to be in the game, I found it unbelievable that a large assortment of logic and physics based puzzles involving tasks such as pushing boxes and pulling switches happened to be conveniently placed around the environment. One of the things I look for in puzzle games are whether or not the puzzles feel organic to the game. In Portal/Portal 2, they do. With LIMBO and INSIDE though, it's like... Well, we have a storyline and a creepy atmosphere. Yeah, but we also need gameplay. No problem, let's just fill it with logic and physics based puzzles. It just feels off.