The Video Game Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Smoke Bomb

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Smoke Bomb » Sun May 24, 2020 4:32 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:01 am
I figured I needed to save my bullets. Which turned out to be true once Mr. X came around.
Yeah...That’s your main problem right there.
You’re not supposed to fight him. I’d like to be more helpful, but telling you how to work around him ruins some of the magic of getting through a really great game.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:32 am
Yeah...That’s your main problem right there.
You’re not supposed to fight him. I’d like to be more helpful, but telling you how to work around him ruins some of the magic of getting through a really great game.
No, I don't fight him at all, but he does make it harder to aim when a zombie's right in front of you and you need to take it down but his footsteps are getting really loud right over your left shoulder. I had become very efficient wasting almost no bullets til he came around, now I am completely out of ammo missing so many times as I know I have to run for my life in seconds. There are parts of the map I had not explored before I did the lever-thing and released him and now it's damn near impossible to complete them as a lot are in areas that are dead-ends. I rue the moment I pulled that lever and thought how clever I had been for exploring that area before completing a lot of other ones as this was apparently going to give me an easy path across. What a fool I was.
And it's ok, you don't need to tell me how to get around him, on the one hand I mostly figured it out on my own but since I had already resolved that I was done with the game I read a little online about it too.
It's not that he makes the game too hard, I don't really care about that, it's that he has totally changed the tone and flow of the game from a style I really enjoy to one I really don't. Since he has entered the game I don't think I've had one moment of fun, it's just been a slog of run-hide-wait-repeat as I try to finish puzzles and explore areas I spent hours setting up. I know gamers are split on this, especially hard-core gamers who think everything should be hard and everyone should "git gud", but there are plenty of other people out there who have expressed how bummed they were at this design choice and how it completely ruined the game for them that I know I'm not alone. It was sneakily playing right into my wheelhouse of what makes me happy in a game and it did a 180 to the kind of thing that if I hear that's what a game is about I don't even play it.
It is what it is, I'm gonna try Call Of Cthulhu or A Plague's Tale instead and see how it goes.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Is anyone going to get The Last of Us Part II? From from I've read and seen, it looks like it's going to be one of the most unpleasant games ever, for better or for worse.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Is anyone going to get The Last of Us Part II? From from I've read and seen, it looks like it's going to be one of the most unpleasant games ever, for better or for worse.
I was planning on it, but I don't know what you're referring to. Why, is Mr. X in it? Cause, then, no.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed May 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:34 pm
I was planning on it, but I don't know what you're referring to. Why, is Mr. X in it? Cause, then, no.
I'm referring to its severe depictions of violence. Hipster Thor started a topic on this in the Random Thoughts thread which was unfortunately derailed, but essentially, the director's said they plan to make this one of the most violent games ever. Here's a quote from the developers:
We’re making a game about the cycle of violence and we’re making a statement about violent actions and the impact they have on the character that’s committing them and on the people close to them,” he said. “And our whole approach is to say, ‘We want to treat this as realistically as possible.’ When you stab someone—if you watch reference videos, which we have, it’s gross and it’s messy and it’s not sanitized like you see in most movies and games. And we wanted to get the player to feel that.”

The idea, he underscored, was “for the player to feel repulsed by some of the violence they are committing themselves. It felt like that is the most honest way to tell this story.

Source: https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part- ... 1826781044
After watching the second trailer, I can't help but feel this is really indulgent. If your goal is to get the player to feel repulsed by the violence they have to commit, the violence shouldn't become standard. Otherwise, each exposure will lessen the impact and lead to diminishing returns. Imagine if in Spec Ops: The Line (slight spoiler for the game),
spraying white phosphorus on innocent civilians was a key function of regular gameplay. That game would then be disturbing on just about every level.
I remember having a similar issue with the last act of Outlast: Whistleblower. When a game features this much violence though, I think it crosses a line and goes too far. So, I just don't see how a game which features this much realistic violence isn't doomed right from the start. It strikes me as the wrong approach to handle violence.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat May 30, 2020 3:56 pm

I feel completely robbed by the Call Of Duty folks after playing Call Of Duty: WWII.
They have kept the game at full price even for the standard edition, despite the game being 3 years old now. I couldn't find anything else I was in the mood for and decided to pony up the $60 for a 3 year-old game due to my very fond memories of COD3.
And I am pissed. It's one of the shortest games I've played in years. While it was broken into 3 days for me due to my full-time job and friends in from out of town, being able to complete a $60 game in 7 hours in 2020 is just unacceptable. I feel like somebody bust into my house with a bandana on and told me to stick 'em up and grabbed my television and some cash and ran out. I mean, it is just unacceptable. I am furious with the franchise now and I think this is probably the last they get of my money.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am

I think most CoD games are overpriced and criminally short tbh. That I don't care much for multiplayer in fps games only adds to my annoyance here. I played CoD4 and liked it a lot, but I've been hesitant to check out any others.

In other news, I replayed Half-Life 2 recently, and I liked it more this time around. I still think it breaks its flow quite often and that certain sequences (the vehicle segments, Black Mesa East, avoiding the antlions by hopping across rocks) stick out as low points in particular, so my heart is still firmly with the original, which I think is near perfect. However, I had more fun with certain segments this time around (controlling the antlions, the strider fights, the supercharged gravity gun), even though they still technically falter for what I described above. Regardless, I'll say it's a really good game, if not a great one.
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:24 am

If you enjoy beat 'em ups then I can't recomment Streets of Rage 4 enough, especially if you have someone to play couch co-op with.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am
I think most CoD games are overpriced and criminally short tbh. That I don't care much for multiplayer in fps games only adds to my annoyance here. I played CoD4 and liked it a lot, but I've been hesitant to check out any others.

In other news, I replayed Half-Life 2 recently, and I liked it more this time around. I still think it breaks its flow quite often and that certain sequences (the vehicle segments, Black Mesa East, avoiding the antlions by hopping across rocks) stick out as low points in particular, so my heart is still firmly with the original, which I think is near perfect. However, I had more fun with certain segments this time around (controlling the antlions, the strider fights, the supercharged gravity gun), even though they still technically falter for what I described above. Regardless, I'll say it's a really good game, if not a great one.
I still probably consider it one of the best games of all time. I had some of the issues you mention the first time around but on my second playthrough I was actually totally fine with those things and really, really thought the game was exceptional.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 pm
I still probably consider it one of the best games of all time. I had some of the issues you mention the first time around but on my second playthrough I was actually totally fine with those things and really, really thought the game was exceptional.
I understand why people like it a lot and there are a number of areas I love about it. I may warm up to it some more in the future. As of now though, the original is much more my thing, I'd say.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:08 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 pm
I understand why people like it a lot and there are a number of areas I love about it. I may warm up to it some more in the future. As of now though, the original is much more my thing, I'd say.
I can dig it. I never played it and it's not really playable anymore. I wonder if I could even go back to the second one now.
But if you hadn't played the first, I can tell you that HL2 was an absolute mind-blower, took the top off of everything for me, raised my expectations of what a game can and should be.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:22 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:08 am
I can dig it. I never played it and it's not really playable anymore. I wonder if I could even go back to the second one now.
But if you hadn't played the first, I can tell you that HL2 was an absolute mind-blower, took the top off of everything for me, raised my expectations of what a game can and should be.
Out of curiosity, why do you think it isn't playable? Other than a couple uncommon graphical bugs, I'd say it works pretty flawlessly, as does the sequel. But yeah, I imagine the sequel must have been really revolutionary in 2004.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:22 am
Out of curiosity, why do you think it isn't playable? Other than a couple uncommon graphical bugs, I'd say it works pretty flawlessly, as does the sequel. But yeah, I imagine the sequel must have been really revolutionary in 2004.
Well, I've gone back and played a lot of older games and I've found that pretty much nothing before 2009 works for me, mechanically, anymore. I don't even really play original Doom anymore. Good game mechanics are important to me, not the most important, but important, and I struggle when the camera doesn't work the way I think it should or the movement or combat is just too antiquated to flow.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 am
Well, I've gone back and played a lot of older games and I've found that pretty much nothing before 2009 works for me, mechanically, anymore. I don't even really play original Doom anymore. Good game mechanics are important to me, not the most important, but important, and I struggle when the camera doesn't work the way I think it should or the movement or combat is just too antiquated to flow.
Aye, I see what you mean. Personally, I don't have any particular issues with the mechanics of older games (well, in general that is), but to each their own.
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:01 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 am
Having a similar experience playing the remaster of Yakuza 3.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 am
Aye, I see what you mean. Personally, I don't have any particular issues with the mechanics of older games (well, in general that is), but to each their own.
You play on computer or console?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:17 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 am
You play on computer or console?
Computer, mostly.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:27 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:17 am
Computer, mostly.
That probably explains our difference on that topic.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:27 am
That probably explains our difference on that topic.
Yeah, I take it console versions of older games are typically buggier than PC versions.
Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:36 am

It's been a few years since I last played Half-Life 2, but my favorite moments tended to be the quieter ones where I'm just poking around the environment or exploring an abandoned home on the side of Highway 17. The part where you walk under the bridge might be my favorite moment in the game.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:46 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 am
Yeah, I take it console versions of older games are typically buggier than PC versions.
They just don't flow. I tried playing Infamous, a game I loved in its day, and I quit after 20 minutes. Even Infamous 2 took me a couple hours to get used to.
I found, when I played games on computers, that mechanics weren't really that relevant or they just weren't that great. I actually quit on Half Life 2 somewhere along the Ant-Lion pathway because I just didn't find that and the driving and whatnot very enjoyable. But when I got The Orange Box and played it on a console, all of that worked just fine for me, even well. The whole game, really, even the earlier parts, played so well for me on console. And then a contemporary game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, there's just nothing to me quite like the flow of combat in that otherwise already wonderful game on console.
It's why I quit playing games on computers, I think. I don't want to start one of those dumb wars people have about consoles versus computers, but FOR ME, consoles give me something that computers don't and that's the mechanics. But because that matters to me, it is hard to go back to much older games whose mechanics are just outdated.

PS - I was recently incredibly surprised to find that Batman: Arkham Asylum still pretty much plays like a brand-new game. I had ZERO trouble slipping right back into that old gem, now 11 years old.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm

I've been playing a lot of The Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky lately. Anything with a lot freedom of movement and that lets you be out in the open is very appealing right now.
Are there any other great games like this besides the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, which I've played to death? I've heard good things about the action RPG Outward.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm
I've been playing a lot of The Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky lately. Anything with a lot freedom of movement and that lets you be out in the open is very appealing to me lately.
Are there any other great games like this besides the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, which I've played to death? I've heard good things about the action RPG Outward.
Zelda Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2 are more recent ones you’re looking for. I just picked up Elite Dangerous on sale but haven’t tried it yet. That’s supposed to be like a space flying sim.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:25 pm
Zelda Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2 are more recent ones you’re looking for. I just picked up Elite Dangerous on sale but haven’t tried it yet. That’s supposed to be like a space flying sim.
I'd like to hear how that is as well. That it has a 1-to-1 recreation of the Milky Way sounds incredible.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm a huge proponent of Red Dead Redemption 2. No game has really captured the experience of going from point A to B in such a satisfying manner... riding a horse is so much damn fun in that game, beyond even the actual meat of the game. Great story too, very well done for a video game
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm
I've been playing a lot of The Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky lately. Anything with a lot freedom of movement and that lets you be out in the open is very appealing right now.
Funny you say this, I was playing Resident Evil 2 and decided finishing a game where I was trapped indoors and chased by a relentless killer was not the thing, so I'm replaying Horizon: Zero Dawn (3rd full playthrough) which has such a nice, big, good-looking, multiple-environment open-world. And I'm much happier.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 pm
Funny you say this, I was playing Resident Evil 2 and decided finishing a game where I was trapped indoors and chased by a relentless killer was not the thing, so I'm replaying Horizon: Zero Dawn (3rd full playthrough) which has such a nice, big, good-looking, multiple-environment open-world. And I'm much happier.
I'm very eager for Horizon to be available for PC.
Steam says "Summer 2020." Well, it is Summer 2020. Get with the program!
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:21 pm

ITS HERE:

Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:44 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:32 pm
I'm a huge proponent of Red Dead Redemption 2. No game has really captured the experience of going from point A to B in such a satisfying manner... riding a horse is so much damn fun in that game, beyond even the actual meat of the game. Great story too, very well done for a video game
Plus the VA for Arthur happily recorded a message at a con saying “Trans-rights are human rights and TERF’s ain’t got no friends”
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:44 pm
Plus the VA for Arthur happily recorded a message at a con saying “Trans-rights are human rights and TERF’s ain’t got no friends”
This is so pleasing, Roger Clark seems like an awesome dude
Smoke Bomb

Post by Smoke Bomb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:10 pm
This is so pleasing, Roger Clark seems like an awesome dude
https://youtu.be/ICcHWoWPpBE

Didn’t get it quite verbatim, but I was close.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:20 pm

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 pm
https://youtu.be/ICcHWoWPpBE

Didn’t get it quite verbatim, but I was close.
Preach!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:25 am

As of now, I bought Blood, DUSK, and Fallout from the Steam sale. I might pick up Stardew Valley as well. My original goal was to set aside most of the summer to play it though.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:41 pm

Octopath Traveler is fucking 84 dollars in Canada and doesn't even have a rebate for summer sales. What a scam.